Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
School-Live!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Sep 26, 2015 9:22 AM

Jan 2015
Caelidesu said:
TheWrogaer said:
this goddamn dog ruined the whole ending for me, the series overall was fine to 6th episode, the other half was far far worse, not recommending this anime, read manga

Honestly, reading the manga, I'd recommend the anime first, then the manga.

Yeah, it's better Anime>Manga, because the anime answers to some questions that there are in the manga so you will be less confused reading the manga if you watch the anime before.
Sep 26, 2015 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
Cute girls doing cute things (and tbh more annoying than cute) hiding under a zombie apocalypse pretense that didn't actually hold up very well so it ended up being mostly boring slice of life with mediocre zombie story. Completely wasted potential from 1st episode. However I did like Yuki's speech in the broadcasting room. On the fence between a 5 or 6 but because it did have some chilling moments I'm giving a 6/10.
Sep 26, 2015 10:33 AM
Sep 2012
marathon-ed this yesterday and today because of the hype; extremely disappointed.
"one of, if not the best, anime of the year" - erhm, no.
this can only be enjoyed by people who are into cute girls doing cute things crap.
Sep 26, 2015 10:46 AM
Jul 2018
I expected more out of the finale tbh, I don't like comparing both mediums since it never really mattered to me but they really should've added more zombie stuff to the show since the moe kind of overtook it in the end, I enjoyed the intensity with the zombies a lot more than the SOL kind of feeling it had but its a preference in the end. It was definitely good, not the best of the season for me (The title goes to Rokka no Yuusha) I'm hoping for a second season because now with them out of the school it's bound to get more interesting but as a stand alone it was good overall.
Sep 26, 2015 12:19 PM

Mar 2009
Just finished this...finally. I am unbelievably depressed.
They made us feel bad about Taroumaru not once, but twice. This episode had a much bigger impact, given that he went back to normal for a little bit. Not only that, but the effect his death has on the girls, especially Miki and Yuki. So depressing...

At the same time, the very end of the episode was slightly uplifting with them all alive escaping the school and moving on. It was a very sad ending, but also a hopeful one.

Before this season began, looking at the art, I expected it to just be a cute girls doing cute things series. Glad I was wrong. Really one of my favorite anime of the season.

R.I.P Taroumaru.
R.I.P Megu-nee.
R.I.P Kei.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch the last episode of Non Non Biyori to cure these blues, but then I'll be sad that Non Non is over. I can't win...
Sep 26, 2015 1:43 PM

May 2014
Pretty good show. I thought it was rather well done, but was a little slow at points and occasionally diverted from the main plot. Overall I'll give it a very low 8/10.

Kurumi best girl <3
Sep 26, 2015 1:58 PM

Jul 2010
Such an overhyped show.
Sep 26, 2015 2:04 PM

Mar 2012
As a manga reader I'm in the minority that liked this adaptation, probably because I always saw it like this and not the manga being copied scene to scene into an anime.

But, honestly, I don't like all the taromaru thing, not that I dislike his presence, that helps to make this anime a new "world" in comparison with the manga, but I dislike him for things like this chapter, where he has been revived twice, not only that, also has been able to think being zombified like no one ever has.
Taromaru saving Yuki, Taromaru alive before being zombified 1 day and Taromaru being alive after being bured are the three things that ruins a bit the mood of this chapter.
Also I dislike Kei being the only one entering the school when they leave, it's too obvious, please, make it a bit misterious like other thing.

Hope this gets a sequel, but at manga's pace, it won't be at least until next summer.

bastek66 said:

This is a good way to sum up the things I don't like about the adaptation.
Waifus only represent ideals
Sep 26, 2015 3:15 PM

Apr 2010
That very last shot when they showed the new character megane girl, before she picked up the drawing it looked like what ever she walked in front of was a wrecked car. I can see red, black, grey and something like that looks like a side-view mirror. Did they crash or am I just over-analyzing?

And in a shot before that. You could see Yuki's hat on the ground next to Megumi's grave. And a small, furry creature with two ears looking at it. They clearly buried the hat with Taroumaru. Did Taroumaru come back from the dead and dig his way out? A side-effect of the vaccine?

Sep 26, 2015 4:00 PM

May 2014
Manga is better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 26, 2015 4:25 PM
Jun 2014
i liked the dog. the season finale. was not bad but. I hoped a little more darkness in the final episode.
sad thing is that kei is death. I hoped she would survive and meet the others. great anime, if there will be a second season I would watch the second season.
rubke1Sep 26, 2015 4:34 PM
Sep 26, 2015 10:36 PM

Feb 2015
Akamitsu said:
You could see Yuki's hat on the ground next to Megumi's grave. And a small, furry creature with two ears looking at it. They clearly buried the hat with Taroumaru. Did Taroumaru come back from the dead and dig his way out? A side-effect of the vaccine?

The clever part of the show is this:
Yuki believed Megu-Nee was still alive, for as long as she reasonably could;
Do you believe Taroumaru is still alive?
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 27, 2015 1:52 AM

Aug 2013
Pretty anti-climatic. Straightforward.

Other than the zombies leaving school over the broadcast, and taromaru plot armor on Yuki, the writing was well done.

Taro's scene with Yuki, and his death were handled pretty well honestly. Even almost made me feelsy.

I don't like that in the ED they constantly showed the car as wrecked but in the final ED it was sunny and the car was fine. It was like false foreshadowing that the car was going to crash at some point but it didn't.

If all of the zombies left I'm surprised they didn't bury zombie Megu-nee.

At the end some glasses girl picked up the picture from the balloon, and Yuki's had was dug up and there was a brief shot of what looked like another dog of zombie Taromaru 2.0 Possible sequel down the road?

Only good thing about a season 2 would be no more fucking Taromaru and Megu-nee. Goddamn, hallelujah.

7/10. Some of the writing and magical coincidences were so bad they were cringe worthy. Bit too much of Megu-nee, way too much Taromaru, and a lot of unneeded SoL moments. Bu the show definitely had it moments and had a lot of excellent and praiseworthy moments.
Sep 27, 2015 2:06 AM
Sep 2015
Anime vs Manga

Megu-nee

^_^ btw I hope for a season two, title "Road Gurashi!"
Sep 27, 2015 2:11 AM

Dec 2012
heniadir said:
Anime vs Manga

Megu-nee

^_^ btw I hope for a season two, title "Road Gurashi!"

Sep 27, 2015 2:56 AM

May 2009
I'm too lazy to reply to the whole thing
Cyanwasserstoff said:

That did happen in the episode 1 and episode 10. The first episode was about Yuki and her illusional dream world. It was about to create a nice mindfuck in the end of this episode.

Thanks for pointing out the other episode as well, but I was talking about the 8th episode actually. Which makes 3 episodes in total just for Taroumaru, and 9 episodes left for other characters. So yeah.
UnderminESep 27, 2015 4:39 AM
Sep 27, 2015 3:24 AM

Sep 2010
Moe Zombie Happy Happy Ending

Finale - 3.5/5
Series - 6.5/10
Sep 27, 2015 7:35 AM

Mar 2013
Akamitsu said:
id Taroumaru come back from the dead and dig his way out? A side-effect of the vaccine?

I'm interested on this aswell.. It might be him.. the dog shown in this shot is lighter than Taroumaru's fur.

I can't really say anything for sure.

Anyways, just finished this, really enjoyed it.
8/10 cute girls are my favs
Sep 27, 2015 7:50 AM

Mar 2013
fredchickens said:
NipahAllDay said:
Reasons why I hate mangatards and that mean something since I am one.

dont understand til now the problem with the poor filler dog.
Ok, they wasted a lot of episodes and scenes with that dog. But.. man, who cares? It was a good adaptation overall! A lot of feelings about Yuki and Megu-nee.
I liked it a lot;
Sep 27, 2015 9:06 AM

Jul 2015
I read the manga, just to be sure and to understand angy manga readers ..

Anime > Manga imo
Sep 27, 2015 11:20 AM

Jan 2013
Grani-smith said:

Anime > Manga imo

well manga was def more edgy while the anime embraced the SoL pandering
both are good on their own
Sep 27, 2015 11:35 AM

Jul 2015
juicykitten95 said:
Grani-smith said:

Anime > Manga imo

well manga was def more edgy while the anime embraced the SoL pandering
both are good on their own

Yeah, but i think the anime is doing far better than the manga to makes us understand how deeply Yuki is affected. It was also way less vague and the zombie fighting was way more in touch with reality.

Yet, i agree that if a manga reader was here to get the same scenes and charcacters in the same order, it's normal to be salty.

ps : the manga is not realy that more edgy, the tension in the anime is, imo, stronge, like the scene in the music class, plus the music help a lot.
Grani-smithSep 27, 2015 11:38 AM
Sep 27, 2015 1:06 PM

Jun 2010
why's the dog hate?,,, poor dog
Sep 27, 2015 1:23 PM
Apr 2014
and here I thought they chose a nice point to end the season just to see them creating a kind of cliffhanger right at the end... That definitely wasn't just some random person/zombie. Even if there will be another season why not just show that scene at the beginning of this -.-
Sep 27, 2015 5:53 PM

Oct 2010
overall, i think they should have stuck closer with the manga. Hints at season 2??? though i wonder, if they do do it, what will happen with Rii-san since

i like that they added Kei in the end though
Sep 27, 2015 5:54 PM

Dec 2014
Caelidesu said:
Akamitsu said:
You could see Yuki's hat on the ground next to Megumi's grave. And a small, furry creature with two ears looking at it. They clearly buried the hat with Taroumaru. Did Taroumaru come back from the dead and dig his way out? A side-effect of the vaccine?

The clever part of the show is this:
Yuki believed Megu-Nee was still alive, for as long as she reasonably could;
Do you believe Taroumaru is still alive?

The second dog must have dug them up. I'd love for Taroumaru to still be alive!
Sep 27, 2015 7:25 PM

Sep 2009
It wasn't too bad. I personally never cared for the dog, so the final episode was a wash for me when they committed a lot of screen time to his farewell.

I don't really care about the zombies, but I was really hoping the cast of characters would just start going crazy (dangerous crazy, not delusional crazy like Yuki) over time.

Sep 27, 2015 10:07 PM

Dec 2013
This show is just a near litteral metaphor for Japanese High School kids and their trials and tribulations before and after graduating from school.
That line about "College or the workplace" was totally for them, as was almost everything else about this episode.

Not too bad. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 27, 2015 11:53 PM

Jun 2012
Now it's roadtrip time... I mean second season time! It was a nice series overall. Didn't really care about Taroumaru, so I all his screen time at the end was wasted for me. I also forgot to have any kind of emotion during his death (Oh me cold-hearted bastard).

But this came out as a big surprise to me. Not expecting anything from this, I really liked the concept of an SoL in a zombie-survival context. I'm not really fond of zombie-themed stuff, but this wasn't really about the zombie. It was more about the 4 girls and their "school life". The drama also did work to me. Here really hoping for some more of Gakkou Gurashi.
Sep 28, 2015 12:08 AM
Jul 2013
Just watched the epsiode now. The whole anime was totally great, but I less liked this episode. It was too much drama for not very much imo...
Yet I give the anime 9/10, because i think it was really really good, especially all the references and the hidden easter eggs!
Hope for 2nd season!
Sep 28, 2015 7:17 AM

Jun 2013
I really enjoyed this show but in the end I think I forgot something. ????
Yuki used the microphone to say sayonara and all the zombies gone home?
Any explaination?
Sep 28, 2015 7:23 AM

Jan 2013
Koruja said:
Any explaination?

Magic bullshit. It seems they learned a little something from Naruto and his "Speak BS no jutsu".
Sep 28, 2015 7:40 AM

Aug 2015
Yes that dog died !!!!!!! Finally !!!!!!!
7/10 would have been 8 but that dog annoy me through the show.
Sep 28, 2015 7:41 AM

Jan 2013
Koruja said:
Any explaination?

zombies still have memories or habits from their previous lives
Sep 28, 2015 7:57 AM

Mar 2012
Koruja said:
Any explaination?

Since second chapter has been stated that zombified people have memories and habits from their normal live, this is also the explanation they find for why everyday more and more zombies showed up, they were all the students, so Yuki make them realize that classes where over for that day, maybe next day they'll return (this is also why Kei is seen entering at the end, the zombies take their time since without light they loose part of their strength as said by Rii).
Waifus only represent ideals
Sep 28, 2015 12:17 PM

Mar 2013
Yuki has such a godly voice that made the zombies go away...come again another day.
All's well, ends well. Yuki finally accepted the reality. Everybody graduates!
and how come it's even more sad when Taroumaru died instead of other people dying because they are killed?
Except for Megu-nee, of course.

from an energetic personality to a delusional personality? from a cute and happy school life to a zombie apocalypse? from regular class activities to a hard challenge of survival? from comedy down to drama? from a long build-up of despair to a happy end? Gakkougurashi can flip every opposite sides with ease. That's what I liked about it.

Off-topic but, am I the only one who prefers "Kyou no Hi wa Sayonara" as their graduation song instead of "Aogeba Toutoshi"? LOL

Overall decent. That's all I can say.
7/10

So I got a quick preview of the said manga and I have no issues with regards of arranging and/or changing of events. I believe it's still good. Following everything from the original source was never a requirement. They can do what they want with it (as long as they have an approval from the author, I think).

Sep 28, 2015 12:27 PM

Jul 2009
Very satisfied with how everything turned out in the end.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this series.

Wouldn't mind seeing it get a 2nd season.

8/10.
Sep 28, 2015 12:40 PM

Jan 2011
So, when is the second season coming? It better get one, this show deserved all money Charlotte got.

8/10 because of not-that-strong final episode.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Sep 28, 2015 12:57 PM

Dec 2012
Yuki's speech on the broadcast was really heartfelt and touching. It struck a chord somewhere within the infected and, despite being convenient, wouldn't have worked for me otherwise if it hadn't have been asking that question of "can they remember?" all throughout the series. This episode just kept the emotions running high following up with Taroumarou's death, Megu-nee's last words, and graduation. That scene at the very end where the girl picks up the "We are happy" card from the balloons drove it all home though. This idea that even in the midst of the wasteland they now live in, they have found something to keep them from losing heart and hope.

Gakkou Gurashi is cute. And horrifying. But cute. But absolutely terrifying! But sooo adorable. But oh my god NO! The combination of moe, cute girls doing cute things, SOL, and horror really sent all kinds of messages to me throughout. On paper this sounds like a stupid and near impossible task to pull together, and yet School Live was able to make all of it work. Neither the cuteness nor the drama outweighed the other and the balance felt very well calculated, never making out of place jokes or adding unnecessary melodrama. In fact, the sharp contrast between the two only strengthened the main theme that was persisting throughout the show - that being able to have fun as normal girls humanized them in the face of peril.

I read an article about an interview with some of the seiyuu from GG and that helped reaffirm my feelings about these characters - that each of them played a vital role as pillars of support for continuing to not just survive, but live under their conditions. Yuuri keeping everyone on track, Kurumi keeping everyone safe, Megu-nee being the one who brought them all together, Miki bringing a fresh outside perspective to their close knit group, Taroumarou saving the day, and Yuki being the inspiration for all of them to find happiness.

I'm not opposed to a sequel but I feel like this is the perfect place to stop. The unanswered questions only enrich the ambiguity and the girls have learned how to cope with the world they live in. A surprising amount of depth when all I came in for initially was cutesy silly fun.

8.5/10
Sep 28, 2015 1:28 PM

Sep 2013
Really good series, it's so sad that Taromaru died. i hope there is going to be a second season.
Sep 28, 2015 1:30 PM

Jul 2015
asume5 said:
Really good series, it's so sad that Taromaru died. i hope there is going to be a second season.

If there is going to be another season, unless they create the story without the manga, we need to wait at least 20 other chapters. I guess summer 2017 :)
Sep 28, 2015 1:43 PM

Jul 2009
I am glad they were able to save Kurumi! Now I am curious to know which place they went and their adventures there!
Sep 28, 2015 3:16 PM

Mar 2011
This anime had quite a cool transition between cute and serious moments which is quite unique in its own way, I hope there will be more series that offers this rotation as well. I think during a zombie apocalypse they did things which we would never consider to do but I guess that is their way to keep their mental stability sane.

What I didn't like was how Taroumaru managed to survive till now, I mean no matter how clever he is they wouldn't survive in a zombie apocalypse; he had too much focus which kinda killed the suspense for me.

Could of made it a bit more realistic which would of made it more enjoyable for me personally, but I guess that is what makes this series different.
Sep 28, 2015 8:27 PM

Jun 2014
9/10 for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the show and I didn't mind Taroumaru as much as some people... but maybe that's cause I didn't read the manga??

Not a boring episode for me, would be a solid 10/10 if they would have got down the zombie/horror side too :) idk not much to entertain me I guess!!
Sep 29, 2015 2:51 AM

Jun 2013
Fantastic. 5/10

I blame the doge.

edit:
bastek66 said:

trololol
ImpalaSep 29, 2015 3:09 AM
Sep 29, 2015 3:21 AM

Feb 2015
kokodoki said:
9/10 for me. Thoroughly enjoyed the show and I didn't mind Taroumaru as much as some people... but maybe that's cause I didn't read the manga??

Definitely check out the manga now that you've finished the anime. I'm not much of a manga reader, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. It's a plot featuring the same main characters which carves its own unique path, develops the characters to a greater degree, and has a darker tone to it.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Sep 29, 2015 6:26 AM

Jul 2015
Caelidesu said:

Definitely check out the manga now that you've finished the anime. I'm not much of a manga reader, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

Ikr
Sep 29, 2015 7:01 AM

Jul 2011
I LOVEEEEEEEEE THIS SHOW SO MUCH! But I think the ending or this episode was adopted so quickly. They hop so many important scene and change so many thing because of the pairing. Like this one:

So for me, its okay. I want another season.
Sep 29, 2015 10:33 PM

Sep 2008
Caelidesu said:
kokodoki said:

Definitely check out the manga now that you've finished the anime. I'm not much of a manga reader, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. It's a plot featuring the same main characters which carves its own unique path, develops the characters to a greater degree, and has a darker tone to it.

Yes, read the manga and become an elitist like everyone else. xD I actually really enjoyed this anime, I only clicked on it because of the listed "horror" aspect and to my surprise, it was quite a gem. I look forward to another season. 9/10 :D
Sep 30, 2015 12:50 AM

Jun 2013
Definitely the biggest surprise for me this season good anime.
Hoping for another season
Pages (11) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2015

539 by Tsukasa_Rio »»
Sep 14, 2:37 PM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2015

323 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Sep 14, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

291 by RGreatDanton »»
Sep 3, 10:21 PM

Poll: » Gakkou Gurashi! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

382 by RGreatDanton »»
Sep 3, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Gakkougurashi! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

229 by Trimethylglycine »»
Aug 29, 5:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.