Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 23, 2016 5:30 AM

Apr 2014
Damn Oldbag next week. I can't wait, I really thought they might skip that, but it's sad that Rise from the Ashes will probably be skipped since it's not part of the original cases in the Gameboy release of the game and the Cornered remix of the anime is good. I love it.
Apr 23, 2016 5:43 AM

Oct 2014
If one day they actually show Maya/Mayoi eat her favorite dish on-screen, I wonder what the subs will say...
Apr 23, 2016 5:51 AM

May 2015
So looks like the supernatural elements were introduced that I've heard of before. Hilarious and priceless how Edgeworth lost his case for the first time, and how Mr. White got driven in a corner. Good and enjoyable episode.

Apr 23, 2016 6:08 AM

Jul 2007
This adaptation continues to be subpar in every single way possible. Animation got a bit of a buump but nowhere near enough to be bearable.

The story itself is still rushed as hell and adaptation - way too gamey and uncreative.

3/5 for the episode.

HaXXspetten said:
The hell is with this "spiritual channeling"? Keep the mumbo jumbo stuff out of a courtroom anime, please..

You are new to franchise I guess. Supernatural mumbo jumbo is integral to the story. IF that turns you off might as well drop it since eventually
The Komori

Mar 2013
What the hell was the significance of that masked warrior person at the end lol

Even though he's just doing his job, I still find it to be quite disgusting how lawyers like Edgeworth can defend obvious criminals like Mr. White

Thankfully he got what he deserved and Phoenix and Maya/Mia won the case....Speaking on Mia, she looks hot af in Maya's outfit lol

The final scene with Phoenix and Maya was nice too and I'm happy that Mia left the firm for him to inherit and that she's gonna watch over him :'')
TokoyaApr 23, 2016 6:11 AM

Aug 2012
Grey-Zone said:
If one day they actually show Maya/Mayoi eat her favorite dish on-screen, I wonder what the subs will say...

Probably Ramen Burger just to play it safe.
Apr 23, 2016 6:14 AM

Oct 2014
Xushu said:
Grey-Zone said:

Probably Ramen Burger just to play it safe.

Or maybe it will be multiple "mini seaweed diet burger" xD
Apr 23, 2016 6:15 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Fai said:
HaXXspetten said:
The hell is with this "spiritual channeling"? Keep the mumbo jumbo stuff out of a courtroom anime, please..

You are new to franchise I guess. Supernatural mumbo jumbo is integral to the story. IF that turns you off might as well drop it since eventually
Yeah I don't play console/handheld games so

In any case that's.. not really what I was hoping for but maybe it'll work out, we'll see
Apr 23, 2016 6:31 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Probably the best episode so far, but some things just work best as a game...

4/5
Apr 23, 2016 6:31 AM
Sep 2011
Dat CGI audience. Wow.

The ugliness of the animation is especially noticeable when we have the super up close and detailed Edgeworth in the same screen as the further back and woefully off-model judge, sitting at his bench that looks like it was pasted in by Studio Shaft.

That first objection made me laugh because how cheesy the still frame of him pointing behind the moving blue background looked.

Not even four episodes and I feel like I've heard everything the OST has to offer, and none of it has really stuck with me in any way. Still not used to Maya/Mayoi's voice. Aoi Yuuki was such a terrible choice for her. Not enough quirky energy. It just sounds really pitiful and vulnerable, like the audience is expected to feel protective of her.

That feeling a player of the games gets when the culprit is cornered and the pursuit theme starts playing, just isn't here. And it's not because this is an anime, shows like Gurren Lagann can get the viewer pumped without needing to be interactive.

I'm not sure I'm even gonna keep going with this. I didn't have a lot of expectations after the disaster of Dangan Ronpa's adaptation, but this is getting to the point where I think Toei could do a better job.
Apr 23, 2016 6:37 AM
Aug 2014
so the case was solve by a spirit (plot armor) instead of good writing, that's alone leaves a bad taste to my elitists ego. I don't mind the silliness presentation but this not what I expected from a investigation/mystery anime. Will there be other cases solved in a such way later on?
G_Spark233 said:
Mia and her plot came to savee the day!
Dem hamburgers

I thought it was only names, but this is on pokemon's onigiri level of localization and that shit was a dub
hithummahApr 23, 2016 6:40 AM
Apr 23, 2016 6:47 AM

Sep 2015
Nick's screaming was so out of place, haha.
Adapted it well, except some changes like reading the list out loud, dat screaming etc. Mia looked hot as expected. Sad they didn't play the theme song though.
NOW COMES THE STEEL SAMURAI. Just hearing that theme song brought back memories. 4/5

Feb 2016
I never expected Supernatural stuff to happen in this series. But this is entirely at the discretion of the storyteller so I don't mind these elements as long as they are coupled with a good storyline.

As for this episode, it was great. First episode I could say that for.
And I am starting to have a strange intuition that Mitsurugi might have been the one to say Igi ari in the scene we saw in the first episode (Where Naruhodo was being bullied by his classmates).

PS: I haven't played the games so this is entirely my speculation. A humble request to those who have played the game, please don't confirm whether this is right or wrong.

GoldenDevilGamer said:
but some things just work best as a game...
This is definitely something I've felt a lot and something I hope the makers understand. Though I doubt it'll hapen.
SacredBowApr 23, 2016 6:51 AM
Apr 2014
BURGERS BURGERS BURGERS
This episode introduces the supernatural element, don't worry there are very few of them in the triology, and they create some very interesting cases, the series would be a borefest if it wasn't for some slight supernatural elements.
A1 is sure proud of their shitty CGI crowd
Phoenix is such a fucking bum, Maya literally spelled out the contradiction for him, in the game she just gives you hints and you have to figure it out, oh yeah expect a lot of bailing and rescue now that you know that Mia can be channeled though Maya. This story is about Phoenix Wright's road to becoming a good lawyer.
Dat Pursuit-corned remix, dat Steel samurai theme, dang.
Glad they're not skipping 1-3, Justice for all is confirmed for the anime btw.
Drake1000Apr 23, 2016 6:54 AM
Apr 23, 2016 6:54 AM

Jan 2013
for all the people complaining about the supernatural

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RrII-ZSNI8
Apr 23, 2016 6:54 AM

Jul 2010
STEEL SAMURAIIIII AHHHHHHHH
I'm sorry that sneak peek at the end of the episode made my day. The animation for the next episode looks so good.

Anyway, nice episode. Animation was... meh, and the story was a little bit rushed, (They didn't include the "Did Mia run to the right or to the left" dilemma and the Bellboy's testimony) but I really wanted this case to be over so we could get to the "good part" of the story.
letfelicityflyApr 25, 2016 11:31 AM

"You don't only belong to yourself, you know? There isn't anything in this world that belongs only to yourself."

Apr 23, 2016 6:59 AM
Apr 2016
I ship Maya x Phoenix so much *-* I'm looking forward to see more of them. The ending and opening are both great.
Apr 23, 2016 6:59 AM

Jul 2009
letfelicityfly said:
They didn't include the "Did Mia run to the right or to the left" dilemma

I would've loved to have seen that bit. The realization when April and Redd saw her running different ways meaning that Redd had to have been standing where the killer was..that's one of my fave parts of this case!

Ah well, it was still good tho. And Steel Samurai next, woo! Wendy Oldbaaaag!!
Apr 23, 2016 7:03 AM

Mar 2015
This episode actually wasn't too bad.
Next is Turnabout Samurai and tbh it may not be one of my favourite cases, but there are some great characters. I love the Steel Samurai though.

If they start next week's episode with Phoenix being all like "OH BOY MAYA, WHAT IS THE STEEL SAMURAI?" they have another thing coming because Phoenix has been carrying around that Steel Samurai keychain since the beginning episode, so he is very obviously not oblivious to what it is.

Time to make old Edgey-boy as uncomfortable as possible when Oldbag comes along.
Apr 23, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2007
hithummah said:
so the case was solve by a spirit (plot armor) instead of good writing, that's alone leaves a bad taste to my elitists ego. I don't mind the silliness presentation but this not what I expected from a investigation/mystery anime. Will there be other cases solved in a such way later on?

ITs adventure/mystery anime. And yes, the supernatural is frequent part of this. Its not a courtroom drama as it already does not follow any legal system on earth.
Also friendly reminder that a lot of figuring things out has been constantly cut out from this show.

Mia and her plot came to savee the day!
I thought it was only names, but this is on pokemon's onigiri level of localization and that shit was a dub

ITs a meme and nostalgia factor. A lot of fans including me prefer the english names and localization memes. In fact they would not even know who is who otherwise.
AhenshihaelApr 23, 2016 7:12 AM
Apr 23, 2016 7:07 AM

Aug 2011
Today is pure Court scene as we all know. Since investigation part should've aired on previous episode. But 99% of it didn't included.
I liked today's episode, still pacing is too rushed as previous episodes. And feeling is not really as we played the games. Because it's cutting out some things from court scenes.
If possible I'd like to make it longer.
IMHO I think this case should've run 4 episodes long.

From the next episode preview, it seems they're cutting-off investigation part as well. Damn.
It'll just become boring if all episode takes place in Court.
AA games are fantastic because its build-up takes place in Investigation and climax takes place in Court.

But anime is ditching the Investigation part completely. It's just wrong.
I think no ladder and step-ladder joke :(
bxyhxyhApr 23, 2016 7:17 AM
Sorry for my bad English.
Apr 23, 2016 7:12 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The spirit channeling caught me off guard.

But i liked the episode.
Apr 23, 2016 7:14 AM

Jan 2015
I liked the idea used in pressure scenes, instead of cutting it all, they showed parts of it even being fast.

Didn't show Konaka (Redd White) blackmailing Hoshikage, but at least Chihiro (Mia) said again that Konaka blackmails politicians, celebrities and the minister of justice, fine.
Apr 23, 2016 7:28 AM

Aug 2011
wtf are these lol
Apr 23, 2016 7:44 AM
Feb 2013
Still disappointed in the music of this series. It's such an important aspect for setting the suspense and triumph moments.

Hm, so case 2 finished in 3 episodes, if it continues like this, then I'd assume Case 3 will probably be finished by episode 7, and case 4 might be...5 episodes? I hope, they should take as much time as they need with case 4 since its one of the best cases in the series.

If it were up to me, I'd finish case 3 in just 2 episodes since its not very good, and spend the rest of the cour on Case 4. Flesh it out as much as possible.
KendiKongApr 23, 2016 7:59 AM
Apr 23, 2016 8:07 AM

Jan 2015
This episode was a lot better then the 1st 3 eps ...
Apr 23, 2016 8:15 AM

Sep 2013
It's still a painfully average adaptation, but this episode was the best so far.
Apr 23, 2016 8:27 AM
Apr 2016
LMAO when they say Miso Ramen and the subs says burgers XDDD

I'm glad they won't be skipping Samurai's case, can't wait to see Oldbag XD
Apr 23, 2016 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
simonli2575 said:
3D people is best looking people. 5/7

Still frame would be whole universe better than this crap :D
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Apr 23, 2016 9:12 AM

Mar 2012
I wonder how many eps they will use for case 3 since it's longer than case 2
Apr 23, 2016 9:45 AM

Jun 2014
So Naruhodo saved his ass with some spiritual assistance from Chihiro. If this spiritual channeling thing is going to become commonplace, then maybe a supernatural tag should be added to the genre lol. I still crack up every time Red White speaks, that Engrish is too funny. And I'm still bothered by the localization of miso ramen = burgers. I want to actually see Mayoi eating in an episode so we can see what they would actually show her eating. Whatever though, onto the next case.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 23, 2016 9:57 AM

Apr 2013
The moment when the Steel Samurai theme started playing, I jizzed in my pants. OH YES!!

Otherwise, although the pacing is a lot better in my opinion, seeing how they dedicate this entire trail into a single episode, and the changes they made, such as Maya covering up for Phoenix (Phoenix was still a newbie, and Phoenix did mention Maya being rather sharp in the games); as well as that epic evidence attack from Mia.

I think it's the right idea to remove the left/right inconsistency and jump straight into the glass stand issue, some clever directing, this is.

Apr 23, 2016 10:04 AM

Jan 2015
Now people can understand why would be a waste of time Naruhodou crying a lot for Chihiro's death, why crying for a character that would come back for the anime? Not even did they spend time on more important things for this adaptation. However he was sad in house and office, really a fast scene, but he did.

Yeah, did you see it? Supernatural of course! Now you see it isn't a usual courtroom show, and nothing weird coming from Japan or animes.

thebrentinator24 said:
(...) If this spiritual channeling thing is going to become commonplace, then maybe a supernatural tag should be added to the genre lol (...)

I don't think that supernatural is so significant/meaningful, for me Chihiro is just a character that didn't left the plot/story even being dead lol (she will appears again, not really a spoiler ... I guess ... :x). But maybe you're right, put a tag is the right thing to do.
Apr 23, 2016 10:17 AM

Jan 2008
I see that the adaptation tries its hardest to ship Phoenix and Maya. Whatever floats their boats I guess, but God, don't wish-wash Maya in the process. She is saved by Phoenix more often than not, but they are trying too hard to fit her into typical damsel in distress archetype. Go home, A-1 Pictures, you're doing it wrong.
Apr 23, 2016 10:43 AM

Aug 2011
thebrentinator24 said:
I want to actually see Mayoi eating in an episode so we can see what they would actually show her eating. Whatever though, onto the next case.
It doesn't show up in the game, so I think it won't happen.
Apr 23, 2016 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
It was the best episode so far.

Mia saved the day!
Apr 23, 2016 10:51 AM

Aug 2011
Lord_Odous said:

I think it's the right idea to remove the left/right inconsistency and jump straight into the glass stand issue, some clever directing, this is.
I thought that was not really good idea. Removing that would makes him less suspicious.
If you press him on this sentence, he even says "then i've chased after her"
Apr 23, 2016 10:54 AM

Dec 2015
Let the speed run investigation for steel samurai commence!
Apr 23, 2016 11:00 AM

Jun 2013
so now he's the suspect and he will defend himself
Apr 23, 2016 11:39 AM
Jul 2014
Ciara said:
I see that the adaptation tries its hardest to ship Phoenix and Maya. Whatever floats their boats I guess, but God, don't wish-wash Maya in the process. She is saved by Phoenix more often than not, but they are trying too hard to fit her into typical damsel in distress archetype. Go home, A-1 Pictures, you're doing it wrong.

Phoenix looks more like the damsel in distress to me xD like, Maya found the contradiction twice, and then the channeling. Phoenix, come on, you can do better than that (I don't know if it's just me but he feels cheesier in the anime than in the game...) !
Maya definitely has been moefied by the adaptation though. I don't really mind because she's adorable, but I'm looking forward to more expressions of hers. Like, more mischievious and the sulky face too !

bxyhxyh said:

But anime is ditching the Investigation part completely. It's just wrong.
I think no ladder and step-ladder joke :(

='( A-1, please don't skip that most crucial moment of our investigations !
Apr 23, 2016 11:55 AM

Nov 2010
garbage/5

I can't watch this anymore... play the game people. This story is just too good to experinece it in such a butchered way. I mean, where is the epic soundtrack? Where is the tension? Where is the epicness? There's none of it, unlike in the game.
Apr 23, 2016 12:19 PM
Apr 23, 2016 12:33 PM

Dec 2014
After all that he just gets saved by a spirit in the end. He was going to lose but no he gets saved by a girl channeling her dead sister to notice the receipt and to get the guy to confess to the murder. Bleh, I'm not a fan.
Apr 23, 2016 12:34 PM

Sep 2015
Cheesy/10

And needed more "Yes, I do".

You just lost the game
Apr 23, 2016 12:49 PM

Jan 2008
xXKeikoChanXx said:
Phoenix looks more like the damsel in distress to me xD

In the anime? Definitely! Phoenix was always grasping at straws and bluffing the hell outta these trials, but it's like they tried to make Maya more relevant than Phoenix. Okay, we get it, she's cute, don't take Phoenix's work away for him, okay? Altough Anime!Nick feels completely like a different character than Game!Nick. No sardonic comments, no smarty-pants inner monologue, no edge. He feels like a stample shounen MC with a good portion of bland added to the mix. When the most colourful (and I'm not talking about his design!) guy in the cast is Redd White - the antagonist you should be booing - you know something is off.

xXKeikoChanXx said:
Maya definitely has been moefied by the adaptation though.

Yeah, that what irks me too. Maya in the game is this lovely package of charming, quirky and mature at the right moments. What we get in the anime? Sighs, shiptease, seiyuu that's more fitting for main romantic option in some romance anime. Maybe it's fine: Phoenix is a bland shounen MC, while she is taken outta harem. I seriously don't like the characterization in this adaptation (among other things: Ace Attorney's anime is mediocre at best), one Edgeworth is passable. And that's only because he doesn't get more to his persona outside "cold, awful prosecutor" before Samurai Turnabout.
Apr 23, 2016 12:57 PM

Feb 2015
Basically Supernatural power save the day.

i like episode 1,2 and 3 but this one....well, i enjoyed it, but for some reason, i think it was very stupid. that supernatural power scene that really bothers me. i think that was really stupid, on top of that, they use it in a show where the people are talking to eachother logicaly. if you put supernatural aspect in logical show, it makes me think it's stupid. but either way i enjoyed it, 4/5
hope i won't see that supernatural thing again. it's ruin the show imo.
Apr 23, 2016 1:27 PM

Jan 2015
Ciara said:

In the anime? Definitely! Phoenix was always grasping at straws and bluffing the hell outta these trials, but it's like they tried to make Maya more relevant than Phoenix. Okay, we get it, she's cute, don't take Phoenix's work away for him, okay? Altough Anime!Nick feels completely like a different character than Game!Nick. No sardonic comments, no smarty-pants inner monologue, no edge. He feels like a stample shounen MC with a good portion of bland added to the mix. When the most colourful (and I'm not talking about his design!) guy in the cast is Redd White - the antagonist you should be booing - you know something is off.

how had I not noticed this ... oh my :0

As I see Phoenix/Naruhodou looks weak (anime, and Miles/Kenji too), but I could not understand exactly why, I thought it was because of the short cross-examination. Indeed, this is a serious lack in his personality.
Apr 23, 2016 1:29 PM
Mar 2016
That all for now, so what's net for the lawyer? And it looks like the lolicon relationship begins.
Apr 23, 2016 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
Foking magic! I would be absolutely fine with it if not for that last list she threw on him, it would be a lot better if they didn't solve whole case with knowledge of dead woman.
This was almost like cheating.

Even that, I enjoyed this episode literally from beginning to the end, it's pacing was good and it was executed well.
Wonder if Chihiro appears from time to time in upcoming episodes too.
Apr 23, 2016 1:48 PM

May 2009
Finally... Case closed, show dropped. This is just too stupid/annoying for me to watch.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2016

164 by Vikill »»
Yesterday, 2:42 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2016

211 by Vikill »»
Sep 13, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 2, 2016

491 by Vikill »»
Sep 13, 4:59 PM

» Mia Fey

FiddlePie - Feb 22

4 by FiddlePie »»
Feb 23, 3:02 AM

Poll: » Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

56 by kyledluffy »»
Jan 16, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.