Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
May 2, 2017 12:56 PM
Jul 2014
Fai said:

-snip-

Recreators could be a decent action spectacle and it has all the needed elements for that but so far it is under-delivering.

You could have said just this and been done with the entire goddamn thing, and not have returned to it, since you would have made your position entirely clear with just that sentence.

Instead you launched into a multi-part tirade on "but muh action!"

Zoos said:
O M G. Oh, gosh. This anime... this anime is the dream of every semiotics/literature nerd ever! Jfc, the themes that are presented here are quite a feast for me. Suddenly, this started talking about intersemiotic translation (Roman Jakobson) and about "The Death of the Author" (Roland Barthes). It is also very filled with notions of structuralism and post-structuralism. How the author plays such a big role in the creation of her/his world, but at the same time you can completely disregard the author. Yes, I can say that Re:Creators is the best new anime for this season.

I'm going to stop being a scholar nerd here and start to be a mecha nerd now. Yes, yes, the robot and the pilot are here, that was something I was really looking forward to. Because adolescent-piloted robots are awesome and you all know it.

This guy, on the other hand, gets what the show is trying to do.

May 2, 2017 6:38 PM

Mar 2009
Strident said:
When world building, there are much better ways to do so than talk to the audience. Souta is so incredibly passive that I feel like I'm just being lectured about the plot. Meteora's conclusions come at a very convenient time for flimsy reasons, and all the interesting interactions in the background go unvoiced while Meteora just TALKS TO THE AUDIENCE. Not once, but twice.

I cannot stress how lazy this kind of directing is. When writing a script, you should try to show, not tell. There is even less excuse in a visual medium since the whole point is to show. But instead, we get told while watching a bunch of mini-scenes that aren't even voiced. This show is just bleeding potential all over the floor.

That about sums it up, yeah. Obviously Meteora was talking about some important things, but the way it's being laid out here for the audience comes across as very lazy. Non-stop exposition, infodumps, and technobabble don't make this very engaging. Nothing wrong with dialogue-heavy shows, but it needs to at least be interesting. By the end of it all, I had no idea what Meteora was even talking about anymore. I completely zoned out.
May 2, 2017 8:23 PM

Jan 2013
firemagnet said:

She's being set up to be the face-heel-turn girl. At some point in the story, her obvious unease with what the rest of the MUP's group will likely get her to switch sides.

Likely that Mamika and Rui will trade positions; from Rui's background, we know that his world is a hellhole where he was fighting a hopeless battle against the villains of his story. He may not care now, but when he does...oh boy. Especially when he learns that as reality grows more malleable, things can be made to change.

Thank you for clarifying that to me.
It's great that Mamika will switch sides but Rui will switch too? That's pretty interesting since we don't know much about him and the anime didn't explain us much, at least iwe have +20 eps xD
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 2, 2017 9:47 PM

Feb 2012
I'm really liking the show however the main character sucks. He has barely said or done anything these past few episodes and even when the focus was more on him in the first 2 episodes he was extremely generic and bland. I'm hoping he gets better...
May 2, 2017 11:25 PM
Dec 2013
Show is a bit slow but the concept is what keeps me watching.
May 3, 2017 12:25 AM
Jul 2014
AivanK said:
firemagnet said:

She's being set up to be the face-heel-turn girl. At some point in the story, her obvious unease with what the rest of the MUP's group will likely get her to switch sides.

Likely that Mamika and Rui will trade positions; from Rui's background, we know that his world is a hellhole where he was fighting a hopeless battle against the villains of his story. He may not care now, but when he does...oh boy. Especially when he learns that as reality grows more malleable, things can be made to change.

Thank you for clarifying that to me.
It's great that Mamika will switch sides but Rui will switch too? That's pretty interesting since we don't know much about him and the anime didn't explain us much, at least iwe have +20 eps xD

Rui switching sides is just my theory. Mamika is just obvious.
May 3, 2017 4:18 AM

Oct 2013
Haha, pretty funny ending and man, the character designs are really good in this show, especially Gunpuku no Himegimi she looks amazing.
May 3, 2017 8:28 AM

Aug 2012
Even I got bored. So many talking even though its informative I don't really feel to listen to it.

I just hope this is just a slow start.
May 3, 2017 10:04 AM

Nov 2012
In my opinion, Aoki's doing a good job overall. The fourth episode was the most boring one though. Still interesting to me but I really hope for some more action in the fifth.
It is quite surprising to hear that Meteora's Creator is dead. It means that there may be nothing particuraly special in characters whos Creators passed away. Previously I thought that maybe Himegimi is so extraordinary because of her Creator's (Setsuna's death). It seems now, there exist some other reasons.
I wonder if it's really Himegimi who's transporting these characters to our world. I think she's bluffing. She can transport herself but I have doubts in her abilities of teleporting others. The Princess was quite surprised to see Mizushino in Selesia's world. She also looked surprised seeing both of them dissapearing. It also took her a while to get next to his house. It seems she's no problems with lying to others. She also keeps knowledge to herself until a there is a need to share it with others. It is clear that she knows what's going on.
It's Meteora's episode quite a bit, she gets to play her game which must be a very extraordinary and weird experience for her. Impressively, she had no problems with all of it, accepts the situation.
Alicetelia's world must be very rough if she's talking care of something Mamika considers trash. Mamika seems nice but she's clearly very fond of herself and her image. If I was that cute (and used magic), I would also be fond of myself...
Alice justice is to change her world for the better which can be easily understood. Blitz looks like a man who likes when something interesting is happening. That's why he will help GnH. Makagami may be quite similar in that way. She may want to feel important and change our/her world.
Masaaki Nakanogane for sure is going to be on a spotlight next episode. He looks massively surprised and horrified. Rui's world is so awful that Masaaki should be worried. God knows what he may do to him later.
Masaki is too credulous and carefree. Maybe that's just her character. Souta isn't really doing anything for now, he's unnecessary for now. Selesia's fighting capabilities are probably below most of other newcomers. Rui looks weak but he has a giant robot. She can fly though, which is very helpful. It will be 4 vs 5 by the looks of it. Maybe the mahou shoujo is going to change sides? Then it's going to be 5 vs 4. Hard to decide which side is stronger. Too little info.

And the question remains : is Setsuna Souta's sister? Is she or he Himegimi's Creator? If yes why doesn't he know anything about her? Weren't they too young to create a widely known world? Wouldn't it be easy to find on the Internet? Uniform Princess probably would be. Maybe she was (or will be) just a concept character with a few illustrations and a description. But why is she in the open then? Others are known in whole Japan and more countries. She might be a very popular character from the future. Or just some weird magic made her real from a concept design. But why has the girl in glasses jumped in front of the train? What happened to her before that? So many unanswered questions...
May 3, 2017 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
firemagnet said:

Rui switching sides is just my theory. Mamika is just obvious.

Oh ok, so it may never happen xD But will see, but i really hope they explain more.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 3, 2017 6:56 PM
Nov 2016
firemagnet said:
Fai said:

Because I need a popcorn action show of the season and this has all the premise needed for that? Because it seems like a perfect "summer action blockbuster" kind of show where you turn off your brain and enjoy things happening on screen?I came to watch bunch of superpowered characters beat each other up to Sawano's bombastic OST with gloriously cheesy engrish vocals. There's a distinct lack of that so far. The fact that a show about bunch of people fighting is not delivering the actual fighting is the problem.

Hmm. Is that whining I hear? By all means, random internet guy, let's change the entire layout of the show just because you don't like it

For example?
What mind blowing things did we learn about Sota? He is "normal", "average", blah blah blah.
What mind blowing things did we learn about LN Heroine? She is righteous and all that stuff. In fact as the show progresses I'd say she LOST personality because she was at least somewhat more agressive and interesting in the first episode and now she is just...there.
What mind blowing things did we learn about Meteora? Considering form the moment of her introduction till now she was and remains an exposition dumping machine at the viewer without any real personality.
What did we learn a bout Mamika? That she is a magical girl thinking like a magical girl?

Did we need 4 episodes for THAT? No we did not, that could have been handled in single episode. And absolutely none of that required a direct dialogue or TALKING for 20 minutes. There are other ways of developing characters rather than infodumps.

They could have just done it in Episodes 1 and 2, cut out most of grandstanding lore technobabble, maybe added some comedy of fish-out-of-the-water elements with characters being baffled by modern stuff, etc. Most of "lore" could be summed up in sentence or two since it is not the focus. Most of the action so far could have been expanded.

And what would you have done instead, random internet guy? Where is your solution to this problem? Or perhaps you could--as almost everyone else here has done--sit back and enjoy the show rather than try to pick out all of its flaws.

Let me put it another way: tying yourself into an intellectual pretzel over a single show that, in your opinion, is average and you clearly find fault with in excess of its merits is an absolute waste of time.

If you want frequent action, may I recommend that you watch Danmachi: Sword Oratoria, Boruto or another generic shonen action show instead?

It would be 12 episodes if the factions were united. Betrayals and faction changing is par the course for the trope.

And the problem with extending it to 22 episodes and trying to flesh it out is? Go on, I'm waiting.

Battle Royale is like less than 1% what fate is about. Its a setting at most and it does not really matter for the overall story.

But we mostly know why they are fighting? Most of things in this episode were obvious or could have been stated in far shorter amount of wordswordswords.

I distinctly remember fighting taking up a distinct portion of that show. If they weren't fighting, they were conducting espionage, trying to cover up the whole damn thing, training and so on. The whole show was in the context of the battle royale.

The visual novel, on the other hand....

But the character motivations are not fleshed out. They are incredibly barebones and whaterver infodumps we got were EXTREMELY boring to watch. The infodumping is easily this show's weakest part.

No show narrative ever should have three episodes in row of a single character dumping lore into the viewers faces for 20 minutes each. We had 3 episodes of the exact same points being reiterated again and again or obvious things being stated.

ReCreators does action good so far. That is it's strength. There's no foundation or depth there to add some deep or complex characters and whatever we got so far is, again, very barebones and typical for the setting. Its not setting the world on fire with its cinematography, characters or scriptwriting any time soon if ever. However the show absolutely has a capability to set a few buildings on fire from some badass fighting since TROYCA are great at animating action.

Each episode has focused on a concept of fiction clashing into the real world and expounded or expanded upon it. Regardless of how "predictable" the show is to you, the rest of the audience may not see what's coming. A show being "generic" is no excuse for the show to assume something of its audience.

In addition, the characters themselves don't know what's going to happen. This isn't When supernatural battles become commonplace, which is clearly what you're aiming for here.

Its not setting the world on fire with its cinematography, characters or scriptwriting any time soon if ever

Does it have to?

All the lore dumping and nothing happening so far is only making people grow tired of the show, confused on why they should keep watching an action show without action?

That's your opinion, random internet guy. To paraphrase someone else over on the anime section of another discussion board, I've seen enough of the opposite (e.g: Bleach, A Certain Magical Index, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Aldnoah Zero, Valvrave, just to name a few) to know how to be patient and enjoy the show for what it is.

Oh please, the narrative is literally throwing anvils towards the viewer about it

No, it isn't. It's rather clear that Setsuna, who is rather obviously deceased, is her creator. Souta may have been dimly involved or provided Setsuna a springboard from which to launch into her own design, but one would think that he would remember if he created something like her. Further, unless we're in a time-loop where Himegimi has succeeded in rewriting the universe, there is absolutely no indication that she's something he hasn't created yet.

Oh, and if you want a critique of the show, here's a critique:

https://standingonmyneck.com/2017/04/23/anime-crossover-hell-a-re-creators-post/

In comparison to this, you're just whining for the sake of whining.

"That's your opinion"
LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my God...oh my God...dude...what the hell do you think everyone else is doing here? What do you people do every day? Do you think Fai is this, "secret spy planning to hypnotise the innocent"? Only an idiot says, "in my opinion" in THEIR post, IF that is your complaint.
Sentences like, "Hmm. Is that whining I hear? By all means, random internet guy, let's change the entire layout of the show just because you don't like it"...do I need to explain this? Of course that's what Fai is asking for, of course that's what I'm asking for: if someone doesn't like something, they probably want it to be something different, soemthing they like.
And I thought Youtube comments were weird.

Anyway, back to the main topic, I completely agree with Fai here, almost like he read my mind or something. A quick summatization of my complaints of the anime:

-Obvious info beaten to your head
-Too much info dumping
-Very little plot progression
-Little to no action
-Boring-ass characters
-No one calls Nazi Girl a fucking Nazi (If another dumbass takes this as actual, literal criticism, and not an exaggerated joke I, avoid all communication with me)

I mean, you can disagree with Fai all you want here but...there's REASONING behind it, whether you like it or not. My and his opinions on the anime aren't just, "Oh well, it's boring, dur dur"...we have REASONS, just like you do. So for you to say, "sounds like whining to me" is incredibly disrespectful not just ethically, but also critically.
You have your opinions.
I have mine.
But I'm not gonna (if you are expecting it) say something as BS as, "in my opinion", when it obviously is/

May 3, 2017 7:40 PM
Jul 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

I mean, you can disagree with Fai all you want here but...there's REASONING behind it, whether you like it or not. My and his opinions on the anime aren't just, "Oh well, it's boring, dur dur"...we have REASONS, just like you do. So for you to say, "sounds like whining to me" is incredibly disrespectful not just ethically, but also critically.
You have your opinions.
I have mine.
But I'm not gonna (if you are expecting it) say something as BS as, "in my opinion", when it obviously is/

They are entitled to their opinion. It does not mean that it's correct. I find their criticism hollow, because I find those criticisms to be a waste of time. Some of them aren't even true.

Of those listed above, only "too much infodumping is true, and even that is subjective.

As for the rest:

-very little plot progression: false. We already have motives, characters introduced, and so on. About the same amount of things have happened compared to Alice to Zokuro. Only the pacing could be considered worse here.

-little no no action: by what metric? Half of the episodes so far have featured fights.

-boring-ass characters: So being cerebral and analytic and actually examining the genres that they're from is "boring." Gotcha.

-Nazi not explained: It's actually not even worth joking about, much less mentioning.

I have no obligation to respect an opinion that is mostly invalid and not well explained or reasoned.

[quote]But there should be more action!/[quote]

Why? A fight every episode is not the hallmark of a good series.

But the characters are boring!

Why? For what reasons?

Because they're to tropey!

So? Since when does too tropey equal boring?

But there's no plot progression!

Risible and patently false.
firemagnetMay 3, 2017 8:14 PM
May 3, 2017 8:11 PM
Nov 2016
firemagnet said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

You have your opinions.
I have mine.

They are entitled to their opinion. It does not mean that it's correct. I find their criticism hollow, because I find those criticisms to be a waste of time. Some of them aren't even true.

Of those listed above, only "too much infodumping is true, and even that is subjective.
...yes...of course it's subjective...because it's my OPINION: "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."
People online don't even know what opinion is...

As for the rest:

-very little plot progression: false. We already have motives, characters introduced, and so on. About the same amount of things have happened compared to Alice to Zokuro. Only the pacing could be considered worse here.
I expect those things to be established within the first ep.

-little no no action: by what metric? Half of the episodes so far have featured fights.
Not in this one. And as I recall, there have been like...2 fights, in total? One of them as a result of character x trying to tell character y that the real world sucks by beating the shit out of her.

-boring-ass characters: So being cerebral and analytic and actually examining the genres that they're from is "boring." Gotcha.
I don't care all that much about what genre the characters are from, that part is obvious. I care about their BACKSTORY (none), MOTIVES (very little), etc.

-Nazi not explained: Completely and utterly irrelevant to the plot at hand. Beneath even derision.
That's why I said it was a JOKE. Do people on MAL know what a JOKE is?

I have no obligation to respect an opinion that is mostly invalid and not well explained.

You seem to be taking this discussion awfully seriously, like it's Brown v. Board of Education, with wording like, "beneath even derision" (saying that to a joke of all things...), "false". Like dude, chill, we're not in an actual debate.
May 3, 2017 8:24 PM
Jul 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
firemagnet said:

...yes...of course it's subjective...because it's my OPINION: "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."
People online don't even know what opinion is...

As for the rest:

I expect those things to be established within the first ep.

Not in this one. And as I recall, there have been like...2 fights, in total? One of them as a result of character x trying to tell character y that the real world sucks by beating the shit out of her.

I don't care all that much about what genre the characters are from, that part is obvious. I care about their BACKSTORY (none), MOTIVES (very little), etc.

-Nazi not explained: Completely and utterly irrelevant to the plot at hand. Beneath even derision.
That's why I said it was a JOKE. Do people on MAL know what a JOKE is?

I have no obligation to respect an opinion that is mostly invalid and not well explained.

You seem to be taking this discussion awfully seriously, like it's Brown v. Board of Education, with wording like, "beneath even derision" (saying that to a joke of all things...), "false". Like dude, chill, we're not in an actual debate.

Fair enough. Still, I find most of what has been provided as objection to the series invalid. It's as if people are incapable of simply sitting back, watching the show, and enjoying it for what it is, much less enjoy the concepts that it raises in discussion.

And no, referencing myths doesn't make a show "more intelligent."

May 3, 2017 8:41 PM
Nov 2016
firemagnet said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

Fair enough. Still, I find most of what has been provided as objection to the series invalid. It's as if people are incapable of simply sitting back, watching the show, and enjoying it for what it is, much less enjoy the concepts that it raises in discussion.

Invalid or not, people have given VERY clear reasons for why they don't like the anime. Somethings YOU consider to be good, will be considered bad to others. We all still watched the same anime!
Also, I have 0 clue on what sort of, "concepts" you are talking about here.
When did I mention myths? If you're referring to my defense of Fate/Zero, I was talking about the characters' PERSONALITIES and MOTIVES.
May 3, 2017 9:53 PM
Jul 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
firemagnet said:

Invalid or not, people have given VERY clear reasons for why they don't like the anime. Somethings YOU consider to be good, will be considered bad to others. We all still watched the same anime!
Also, I have 0 clue on what sort of, "concepts" you are talking about here.
When did I mention myths? If you're referring to my defense of Fate/Zero, I was talking about the characters' PERSONALITIES and MOTIVES.

By myths I was referring to a certain other individual on this board.

As for personalities and motives, you can only make these so complex. To put it another way, anime as a medium does not lend itself well to fleshing out the motives of characters. Compare something like the Fate series or even Re:Creators to the characters developed throughout G.R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

Having said this, much of the way that characters are built upon is by how they express themselves in differing situations, as well as how relate-able those positions are. Thus far, Re:Creators has not had as much variety of situation as, say, Alice and Zokuro; it moves at a slower pace. Perhaps it's the larger-than-life comedy that gives A&Z more traction.

Either way, Re:Creators still has plenty of ground to cover, so I see no reason to be worried; the characters may not be the most interesting in the world, but the material it discusses and the way it looks at it is something that I find merits watching.

Either way, I encourage you to stick around and simply try to enjoy Re:Creators for what it is.
May 4, 2017 12:01 AM

Jun 2016
Fai said:

For example?
What mind blowing things did we learn about Sota? He is "normal", "average", blah blah blah.

Never said anything about Sota.

What mind blowing things did we learn about LN Heroine? She is righteous and all that stuff. In fact as the show progresses I'd say she LOST personality because she was at least somewhat more agressive and interesting in the first episode and now she is just...there.

Never said anything about Selesia either.

What mind blowing things did we learn about Meteora? Considering form the moment of her introduction till now she was and remains an exposition dumping machine at the viewer without any real personality.

Maybe you missed the first couple minutes of the show, but we learned quite a bit about how she feels about the fact that she's a fictional character and how that affects her viewpoint of her world, her feelings towards her creator and the other characters.

What did we learn a bout Mamika? That she is a magical girl thinking like a magical girl?

That her viewpoint is changing, little by little, from the hopelessly naive child we met earlier, tht she's holding doubts towards MUP, and that she's thinking a little more about what being a fictional character means to her.

Did we need 4 episodes for THAT? No we did not, that could have been handled in single episode.

I'd rather the show takes its time to handle things slowly rather than cram stuff into a single episode.

Most of "lore" could be summed up in sentence or two since it is not the focus.

This right here is your problem. You assume that since you are watching it just for the action, that's what the show is all about, and blind yourself to everything else it's trying to do.

We had 3 episodes of the exact same points being reiterated again and again or obvious things being stated.

Now you're really starting to make me think you're not watching this show at all.

ReCreators does action good so far. That is it's strength.

The action is what you what out of it.

From my perspectve, while the action is nice and all, I find the way the show is handling it's themes to be more interesting.

Oh please, the narrative is literally throwing anvils towards the viewer about it. This show is not exactly subtle if you did not notice that yet. We had a hour long monologue about how Sota should totally become a writer in future. We had the EvilWhiteHairedChick literally recognizing MC and making multiple comments that count as Foreshadowing. We had whole big (and obvious) "reveal" of the fact that the characters could be from works yet to be written, etc.

Again, you prove you're not actually watching the show.

It's way more likely that MUP is the creation of the girl who suicided in the very first episode, and who MUP was shown talking with.
May 4, 2017 12:58 AM
Jul 2014
Anti-Agelast said:
Fai said:

For example?

Maybe you missed the first couple minutes of the show, but we learned quite a bit about how she feels about the fact that she's a fictional character and how that affects her viewpoint of her world, her feelings towards her creator and the other characters.

That her viewpoint is changing, little by little, from the hopelessly naive child we met earlier, tht she's holding doubts towards MUP, and that she's thinking a little more about what being a fictional character means to her.

Did we need 4 episodes for THAT? No we did not, that could have been handled in single episode.

I'd rather the show takes its time to handle things slowly rather than cram stuff into a single episode.

Most of "lore" could be summed up in sentence or two since it is not the focus.

This right here is your problem. You assume that since you are watching it just for the action, that's what the show is all about, and blind yourself to everything else it's trying to do.

We had 3 episodes of the exact same points being reiterated again and again or obvious things being stated.

Now you're really starting to make me think you're not watching this show at all.

ReCreators does action good so far. That is it's strength.

The action is what you what out of it.

From my perspectve, while the action is nice and all, I find the way the show is handling it's themes to be more interesting.

Oh please, the narrative is literally throwing anvils towards the viewer about it. This show is not exactly subtle if you did not notice that yet. We had a hour long monologue about how Sota should totally become a writer in future. We had the EvilWhiteHairedChick literally recognizing MC and making multiple comments that count as Foreshadowing. We had whole big (and obvious) "reveal" of the fact that the characters could be from works yet to be written, etc.

It's way more likely that MUP is the creation of the girl who suicided in the very first episode, and who MUP was shown talking with.

@Agelast

Again, I find myself agreeing with all of what you said about Fai.

@fai

Again, you ignore quite literally everything the show is trying to do because there isn't enough action for you. Clearly, this show isn't for you so it begs the question of why you waste a comparatively large amount of energy talking about it. Even people who think that "the show could be better" don't try to rip into it like you do. What's your real angle here?

Episode 5 preview is also up. Looks like Rui pulls out his mech and fights. You'll get your action.
firemagnetMay 4, 2017 9:02 AM
May 4, 2017 1:52 AM

Jul 2007
firemagnet said:

You could have said just this and been done with the entire goddamn thing, and not have returned to it, since you would have made your position entirely clear with just that sentence.

Instead you launched into a multi-part tirade on "but muh action

because that does not cover the show's flaws and because trying to downplay the show's flaws and poor structure with "but muh action" is ridiculous logical fallacy? It's always lovely when people rely on fallacies instead of actually refuting arguments presented.

Anti-Agelast said:

So hero and heroine of the whole story are uttelry bland and boring and we have not learned ANYTHING about them in four first episodes.
And the first four episodes focused on almost entirely only them.

My point stands.

She's a kuudere and she is the show's exposition dump who is okay with everything going on because her kuudere personality makes her be okay with everything. Oh look I summed up three episodes of long winded monologues into a single sentence. And I would not even need that because her behavior and personality are part of a trope. Did we really need 20 minute monologues about her playing a game to get there? No.

We literally knew all about that from the scene where he questioned blood in the fight and LNHeroine went on a rant to her how worlds are different. We did not need that AGAIN.

Handling it slowly is good when you have writing chops to do it.
Handing things slowly is good when cinematography and storyboarding makes the pacing enjoyable.
Handling things slowly is good when your premise feels fresh and you have managed to set your work apart from dime a dozen LN adaptations and industry tropes.

"Handling things slowly" does not work in an action show when all you can do is write three episodes worth of grandstanding long-winded infodumping where you try to make a single character look smart by making her throw around as many big words as you can think of to the point that her dialogue feels stinted and unnatural, while Director is not bothering to do anything with the cinematography except having shot after shot of talking heads.

Even Little Witch Academia TV is better than that and that is a production mess galore with literally no effort at all in terms of directing or script writing

But again, there's nothing else.
Nothing in the lore so far requires 4 episode infodumps. Its extremely standard setting and over-explaining it does not make it better. This is not DND Manual, this is not some user manual - this is a tv show, a visual medium. With narrative set in very oversaturated market full of ln adaptations with familiar settings and character tropes.

We do not need to have a whole episode of discussion about whether author can change things on the fly - just state it if you REALLY want to have that info.
We do not need a whole episode of InfodumpChan talkinga bout playing a game and how she feels okay with her world. just make her say in a single sentence that the first thing she did in this world was to check out her game and that she feels its a great world. We did not need 20 minutes of very stinted monologue with overuse of word World in every sentence or all the terminology she throws into the sentences that the writers added to make her seem smart. There are better ways to make the point than that.

Nothing in this lore is complex, innovative or different enough to spend whole episodes upon. Especially not with how dull the directing in infodump scenes is.

Not really?
What did we learn?

"Meteora is okay with her world" - well no shit.
"Future creations authors have yet to write could come" - no shit.
"Authors can't just alter their works on the fly" - See? one sentence of obvious. why spend whole episode on that apart from padding???
"Authors might not live up to expectations of creations who view them as gods" - NO SHIT. Humans are flawed and not gods, idealization and worship is bad concept. yadontsay.gif
"White Haired chick wants to recruit creations ina rage against creators kind of scenario" - no shit obvious from first episode.
"WhiteHaireChick wants to destroy the world" - YEAH WE KNOW THAT SINCE FIRST EPISODE.

That's literally all the important bits of these four episodes. Dragged out via padding and infodump into four episodes.

What themes? You have yet to explain how the show is handling it or refute any of critique made against show's poor writing and pacing.

Again you are throwing ad hominems at a person, while stating your arguments as facts and without refuting the arguments.

So what you are saying is basically Sota has no purpose in the story then? Well it certainly fits for a show that is 99% padding so far to have a protagonist who is literally padding. :^)
AhenshihaelMay 4, 2017 1:56 AM
May 4, 2017 3:49 AM
Nov 2016
Fai said:
firemagnet said:

Instead you launched into a multi-part tirade on "but muh action

because that does not cover the show's flaws and because trying to downplay the show's flaws and poor structure with "but muh action" is ridiculous logical fallacy? It's always lovely when people rely on fallacies instead of actually refuting arguments presented.

Anti-Agelast said:

So hero and heroine of the whole story are uttelry bland and boring and we have not learned ANYTHING about them in four first episodes.

My point stands.

She's a kuudere and she is the show's exposition dump who is okay with everything going on because her kuudere personality makes her be okay with everything. Oh look I summed up three episodes of long winded monologues into a single sentence. And I would not even need that because her behavior and personality are part of a trope. Did we really need 20 minute monologues about her playing a game to get there? No.

We literally knew all about that from the scene where he questioned blood in the fight and LNHeroine went on a rant to her how worlds are different. We did not need that AGAIN.

Handing things slowly is good when cinematography and storyboarding makes the pacing enjoyable.
Handling things slowly is good when your premise feels fresh and you have managed to set your work apart from dime a dozen LN adaptations and industry tropes.

"Handling things slowly" does not work in an action show when all you can do is write three episodes worth of grandstanding long-winded infodumping where you try to make a single character look smart by making her throw around as many big words as you can think of to the point that her dialogue feels stinted and unnatural, while Director is not bothering to do anything with the cinematography except having shot after shot of talking heads.

Even Little Witch Academia TV is better than that and that is a production mess galore with literally no effort at all in terms of directing or script writing

But again, there's nothing else.
Nothing in the lore so far requires 4 episode infodumps. Its extremely standard setting and over-explaining it does not make it better. This is not DND Manual, this is not some user manual - this is a tv show, a visual medium. With narrative set in very oversaturated market full of ln adaptations with familiar settings and character tropes.

We do not need to have a whole episode of discussion about whether author can change things on the fly - just state it if you REALLY want to have that info.
We do not need a whole episode of InfodumpChan talkinga bout playing a game and how she feels okay with her world. just make her say in a single sentence that the first thing she did in this world was to check out her game and that she feels its a great world. We did not need 20 minutes of very stinted monologue with overuse of word World in every sentence or all the terminology she throws into the sentences that the writers added to make her seem smart. There are better ways to make the point than that.

Nothing in this lore is complex, innovative or different enough to spend whole episodes upon. Especially not with how dull the directing in infodump scenes is.

Not really?
What did we learn?

"Authors can't just alter their works on the fly" - See? one sentence of obvious. why spend whole episode on that apart from padding???
"Authors might not live up to expectations of creations who view them as gods" - NO SHIT. Humans are flawed and not gods, idealization and worship is bad concept. yadontsay.gif
"White Haired chick wants to recruit creations ina rage against creators kind of scenario" - no shit obvious from first episode.
"WhiteHaireChick wants to destroy the world" - YEAH WE KNOW THAT SINCE FIRST EPISODE.

That's literally all the important bits of these four episodes. Dragged out via padding and infodump into four episodes.

What themes? You have yet to explain how the show is handling it or refute any of critique made against show's poor writing and pacing.

Again you are throwing ad hominems at a person, while stating your arguments as facts and without refuting the arguments.

So what you are saying is basically Sota has no purpose in the story then? Well it certainly fits for a show that is 99% padding so far to have a protagonist who is literally padding. :^)

You guys should stop arguing. This isn't math. People online refuse to change their opinions: it's like trying to move a guard dog.
May 4, 2017 8:59 AM

Jun 2016
Fai said:

My point stands.

I could agree with you on Sota, but I'd hardly call Selesia bland or that we've learned nothing about her.

Way to be reductive there.

We actually didn't though.

It seems I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'd rather the show takes time to show characters progressing than letting the reader take it on faith that they are.

We do not need a whole episode of InfodumpChan talkinga bout playing a game and how she feels okay with her world. just make her say in a single sentence that the first thing she did in this world was to check out her game and that she feels its a great world.

It seems that you totally missed the actual emotional aspect of those monologues, which was why they were so long.

They're not simply trying to pass along info, they're telling us what the characters think and feel about that information.

I've already explained that the show is taking it's time with establishing the characters because one of the stories the show is trying is how the viewpoint of characters change and evolve due to the realization that they are creators and created.

So simply because Sota isn't MUP's creator, he has no purpose?

Maybe, just maybe, Sota is connected to Setsuna, and his relationship with her, and through her, MUP is his purpose in the plot?
Anti-AgelastMay 4, 2017 9:04 AM
May 4, 2017 9:33 AM
Jul 2014
Fai said:

Flaws which you have grossly overstated, and because your argument literally is "BUT MUH ACTION," I am merely reducing your argument to what it is, because there is literally nothing else of substance behind it.

My point stands.

Let me excuse myself while I laugh hard at, not with, you. It's clear that your need for a "popcorn action thriller" has entirely blinded you to the emotional subtleties of this show, much less all of the information that has been presented about them as well as how they express themselves on issues that matter to them.

In spite of your obvious loathing for standard tropes and how this getting in the way of any real commentary by you on this show, I'll not hesitate to point out that your writing off of this character as generic is ignoring how she expresses herself, her interaction with the world, as well as her feelings on this matter in spite of the fact that as a result of her medium she is incapable of expressing them in a "normal" manner.

Actually, we did need to see it again. See, you seem to have this wonderful idea in your head that just because the audience can see it coming automatically means that the characters themselves can see this coming and that there is, therefore, no need to expand upon events that have already happened.

Her fight with Selesia planted a seed of doubt. All events since are confirming that doubt, and eventually she will flip sides. However the audience needs to be presented with a logical chain of events that establishes why she finally decides to switch sides or betray MUP.

Dunning-Kruger much?

Not really?
What did we learn?

Proof, if further was needed, that you're either not watching this, turning your mind off if you do, or deliberately trolling.

[quote]
[quote]

You clearly missed the entire section of her talk where she said that she was undecided and eventually accepted her world only after being able to view it from the outside. There was no evidence beforehand that suggested that she might be alright with her world, only that she felt she had to return to it. A sense of responsibility does not automatically imply positive acceptance.

Baseless conjecture composed by you out of hand. No evidence has been presented thus far to suggest that we have any sort of time loop or time travel with regards to MUP.

That was actually an important plot point, and it had to be backed up with evidence. The author can do as they like; just check out every fanfiction or story in existence. Their work does not automatically need fan acceptance to become cannon, so this actually required development.

Your disdain for the genre, as well as the exploration of these themes is so bloody obvious that even a someone blinded by nuclear blast flash could see it from ten goddamn miles away.

"Authors might not live up to expectations of creations who view them as gods" - NO SHIT. Humans are flawed and not gods, idealization and worship is bad concept.

Your reaction to even the exploration of such says volumes about you.

We know that, but the characters don't.

Again you are throwing ad hominems at a person

woobie, that's not adhominem. THIS, ON THE OTHER HAND, IS ADHOMINEM:

You miss analytic themes in the show or outright dismiss them, in spite of them being blindingly fucking obvious, because you're kicking and screaming like a petulant five year old who got his cookie taken away from him that you want action, and because you think that it's all the show should be.

Grow up.

It's obvious that you have naught but disdain for this show, don't like watching it, and hate the themes brought up in it anyway, so why the fuck are you watching it. Don't tell me it's for the "critique," because what you're doing is not critique.

firemagnetMay 4, 2017 9:37 AM
May 4, 2017 10:53 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm so we finally get to see who the person that rescued Mamika was then
Hmm this knight is called AliceTaria eh. Hmm i bet meeting your created character will be quite the shock for the publisher and creator. Looks there are some bad news for Meteora though. Ah so the creator for Meteora had actually passed away then without getting the chance to meet with her. Thats pretty sad. Well i suppose a internet cafe will be a good place of solitude for her i guess. Marine is blaming herself though its no one's fault really. Its guess its just gods will i guess. While it will take her time to recover from such a large shock its nice that Meteora seems to be well enough for now. If anything Meteora is actually pretty formal and overly polite which isn't a bad thing as it defines her character. Well i guess all of the characters will have rather complicated feelings towards their creators. So when she and selestia first encountered military girl she too was confused about what path she should take eh. Understandable u guess. True the more sincere a creator is the more effort they will put in to design the world for the better. The opposite here is also true as well. Hmm so if her creator had not been serious about his job then she would have chosen to become an observer and witness the world's destruction eh.

Well characters like Selestia and Meteora are essentially nothing more than pixels i guess so for them to be able to exist in the real world they would have to be transformed. As a result the restoration powers that exist in the world functioned by translating them into human beings then. Hmm i suppose having beings from another world will have some negative effects for the world. And the more there is of other beings the more effects it will have on the world. Things that don't exist in this world being forced to exist will create some unintended effects is the gist of it. So as long as they continue to battle then this world will start to change even more eh. Hmm a reset being referred to as the great destruction eh. Where everything will be resetted eh. Hmm it must be quite weird playing the game that features you as one of the main characters. That must have been interesting. But im glad that she found the game to be fun and amusing though. Its nice that after playing the game Meteora's impression of her creator was positive. Its good that she has found the motivation and reason that she needs and chose to fight to protect this world and return everything to normal. But man staying up all night without eating at all to complete a game now thats dedication. Lol Selestia's face as she ate that sushi lol. Still the aims of military girl is at this moment still unknown. Surely she won't gain anything from destroying this world.
Its nice that the girls had fun eating and having a livery and interesting discussion while they are at it. Well for better or worst fictional characters are created to express characters that are better than their real life creators. But lol Selestia's response to her creator's words at being normal though. Hmm so military girl is sincere about wanting to destroy the world eh. If we can find her motivation then maybe we can understand her better.

If Selestia and the others can find the other creations then they can limit the damage that they will cause to the world. But i think Military girl will also be doing the same as well. Hmm thats a really good way of using alphabet chips though. Since military girl is not from this world she will also have a creator as well that exists in this world. Hmm so Meteora managed to spell the word creator with the letters and outlined the main plot of her words with that word alone lol impressive. Hmm so it seems that the other creations that are on the other side are also having similar problems. Hmm the knight has a pretty direct personality eh. If anything military girl sure is manipulative but thats to be expected from her since she's the villain. Hmm despite being on the wrong side AliceTaria is determined to save her world and its people even at the cost of destroying this one eh. She will be a tough opponent though thats for sure. If anything combat and fighting isn't something that suits Mamika and it feels like she's was dragged into this fight which she was i guess. Still i commend her for being brave enough to hang in there. She wants to save her world just as much as everyone else does i guess. Despite being scared of being in combat and fighting the world's defenders. Lol telling someone that a character that you created has somehow turned up in front of you would be a hard thing to say. Lol even more embarrassing will be the last part which is he's eating lunch at my house lol.

Surprisingly Selestia and Meteora look pretty normal in casual clothes lol.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2017 1:34 PM
Nov 2016
[quote=firemagnet message=50598722]
Fai said:

Flaws which you have grossly overstated, and because your argument literally is "BUT MUH ACTION," I am merely reducing your argument to what it is, because there is literally nothing else of substance behind it.

My point stands.

Let me excuse myself while I laugh hard at, not with, you. It's clear that your need for a "popcorn action thriller" has entirely blinded you to the emotional subtleties of this show, much less all of the information that has been presented about them as well as how they express themselves on issues that matter to them.

In spite of your obvious loathing for standard tropes and how this getting in the way of any real commentary by you on this show, I'll not hesitate to point out that your writing off of this character as generic is ignoring how she expresses herself, her interaction with the world, as well as her feelings on this matter in spite of the fact that as a result of her medium she is incapable of expressing them in a "normal" manner.

Actually, we did need to see it again. See, you seem to have this wonderful idea in your head that just because the audience can see it coming automatically means that the characters themselves can see this coming and that there is, therefore, no need to expand upon events that have already happened.

Her fight with Selesia planted a seed of doubt. All events since are confirming that doubt, and eventually she will flip sides. However the audience needs to be presented with a logical chain of events that establishes why she finally decides to switch sides or betray MUP.

Dunning-Kruger much?

Not really?
What did we learn?

Proof, if further was needed, that you're either not watching this, turning your mind off if you do, or deliberately trolling.

[quote]

You clearly missed the entire section of her talk where she said that she was undecided and eventually accepted her world only after being able to view it from the outside. There was no evidence beforehand that suggested that she might be alright with her world, only that she felt she had to return to it. A sense of responsibility does not automatically imply positive acceptance.

Baseless conjecture composed by you out of hand. No evidence has been presented thus far to suggest that we have any sort of time loop or time travel with regards to MUP.

That was actually an important plot point, and it had to be backed up with evidence. The author can do as they like; just check out every fanfiction or story in existence. Their work does not automatically need fan acceptance to become cannon, so this actually required development.

Your disdain for the genre, as well as the exploration of these themes is so bloody obvious that even a someone blinded by nuclear blast flash could see it from ten goddamn miles away.

"Authors might not live up to expectations of creations who view them as gods" - NO SHIT. Humans are flawed and not gods, idealization and worship is bad concept.

Your reaction to even the exploration of such says volumes about you.

We know that, but the characters don't.

Again you are throwing ad hominems at a person

woobie, that's not adhominem. THIS, ON THE OTHER HAND, IS ADHOMINEM:

You miss analytic themes in the show or outright dismiss them, in spite of them being blindingly fucking obvious, because you're kicking and screaming like a petulant five year old who got his cookie taken away from him that you want action, and because you think that it's all the show should be.

Grow up.

It's obvious that you have naught but disdain for this show, don't like watching it, and hate the themes brought up in it anyway, so why the fuck are you watching it. Don't tell me it's for the "critique," because what you're doing is not critique.

You were behaving aggressively before, but now you threw all subtlety out the window when you called a stranger a 5 year old for their opinion on a cartoon. Jesus...
Meaning that now you have practically declared war. Now Fai is PROBABLY, NOT going to want to AT ALL agree with you, because you've made yourself more unlikable. The more tense you make someone in an argument (which is completely useless to do online, but that's besides the point), the LESS likely they will agree with you.
It's very clear that the both of you have VERY different ideologies on what makes a good/bad anime, in some aspects. You both watched the same anime. Both came to a conclusion on it, with your own respective reasons. No way in hell are either of you gonna make each other agree through ARGUING, unless one of you was teaching the other math.
May 4, 2017 5:10 PM
Jul 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

You were behaving aggressively before, but now you threw all subtlety out the window when you called a stranger a 5 year old for their opinion on a cartoon. Jesus...
Meaning that now you have practically declared war. Now Fai is PROBABLY, NOT going to want to AT ALL agree with you, because you've made yourself more unlikable. The more tense you make someone in an argument (which is completely useless to do online, but that's besides the point), the LESS likely they will agree with you.
It's very clear that the both of you have VERY different ideologies on what makes a good/bad anime, in some aspects. You both watched the same anime. Both came to a conclusion on it, with your own respective reasons. No way in hell are either of you gonna make each other agree through ARGUING, unless one of you was teaching the other math.

I flatly do not care if Fai wants to agree with me or not. I have no obligation to be polite to someone who tries to claim a position of authority to validate their opinion (In Fai's case, a writer) yet somehow manages to dismiss or miss (or worse, deliberately miss) the major themes, emotions and such that are being brought up because the characters are "too standard" or hew to tropes too closely.

I will, on the other hand, viciously ridicule someone who claims adhominem when someone points out that they missed something or otherwise must not have been paying attention. At no point did Agelast actually attack Fai's character, and therefore the cry of "adhominem" in Fai's case is worthy only of utter contempt.

Fai is ignoring what the show is trying to do, explore, or analyze in favour of calling for more action for the sake of action. I have no reason to be polite to someone who dismisses the plot out of hand because they--without really delving into it, examining it, looking at what it's trying to do or examine--think that they've "seen it all before so it must be shit."

Then there's the sheer stupidity and arrogance of Fai dismissing plot points because it's "something that the audience can figure out or knows." I mean, good-fucking-grief. It's in there for a reason: because the characters themselves do not know what is going on, and it must therefore be elaborated for their sake as much as for the audience. One can take issue with the way it was done, but that's not what Fai's doing. They're saying that it shouldn't be in there at all because they (Fai) already know it.

Moreover, I'm not looking to agree with Fai. I'm saying quite bluntly that their opinion is shit, because their reasoning is shit, since they dismiss entire parts of the show on the basis of "but muh action, but muh standard characters."

I'm sorry, but no. While I agree that the characters are par-for-the-course, I see no good reasoning behind the rest of their critique if they have to effectively ignore the show to make said critique.
May 4, 2017 5:36 PM
Nov 2016
firemagnet said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

I flatly do not care if Fai wants to agree with me or not. I have no obligation to be polite to someone who tries to claim a position of authority to validate their opinion (In Fai's case, a writer) yet somehow manages to dismiss or miss (or worse, deliberately miss) the major themes, emotions and such that are being brought up because the characters are "too standard" or hew to tropes too closely.

I will, on the other hand, viciously ridicule someone who claims adhominem when someone points out that they missed something or otherwise must not have been paying attention. At no point did Agelast actually attack Fai's character, and therefore the cry of "adhominem" in Fai's case is worthy only of utter contempt.

Fai is ignoring what the show is trying to do, explore, or analyze in favour of calling for more action for the sake of action. I have no reason to be polite to someone who dismisses the plot out of hand because they--without really delving into it, examining it, looking at what it's trying to do or examine--think that they've "seen it all before so it must be shit."

Then there's the sheer stupidity and arrogance of Fai dismissing plot points because it's "something that the audience can figure out or knows." I mean, good-fucking-grief. It's in there for a reason: because the characters themselves do not know what is going on, and it must therefore be elaborated for their sake as much as for the audience. One can take issue with the way it was done, but that's not what Fai's doing. They're saying that it shouldn't be in there at all because they (Fai) already know it.

Moreover, I'm not looking to agree with Fai. I'm saying quite bluntly that their opinion is shit, because their reasoning is shit, since they dismiss entire parts of the show on the basis of "but muh action, but muh standard characters."

I'm sorry, but no. While I agree that the characters are par-for-the-course, I see no good reasoning behind the rest of their critique if they have to effectively ignore the show to make said critique.

So then stop arguing. Or just say the guy's opinion is shit and be over it. Who fucking cares?
If you REALLY did NOT care about whether he agreed with you, you would not be ARGUING: you would not write thought-out responses, all you would say would be, "Your ignoring the other parts of the anime".
Dude...I know this game like the back of my hand: consciously or not, you're just trying to satisfy your ego by arguing with a complete stranger online.
None of you are listening to each other.
The moment you began calling the guy a 5 year old, you basically have declared, "I will not listen to you at all you, accept everything that I say!" No one's gonna listen to you now! You'd have to be seriously autistic and/or socially dense as hell to not know this!
Watching both of you is like watching a pair of pit-bull puppies fighting over a toy. It's cute at first, then it starts getting really bad.

Besides, Fai has given plenty of reason for why he doesn't like the anime. You're calling hi ma 5 year old, but from my perspective, you're kind of the one acting like a 5 year old by oversimplifying everything he's saying, a major factor in why I've decided to stop arguing over stupid cartoons.
May 4, 2017 8:16 PM
Jul 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
firemagnet said:

So then stop arguing. Or just say the guy's opinion is shit and be over it. Who fucking cares?
If you REALLY did NOT care about whether he agreed with you, you would not be ARGUING: you would not write thought-out responses, all you would say would be, "Your ignoring the other parts of the anime".
Dude...I know this game like the back of my hand: consciously or not, you're just trying to satisfy your ego by arguing with a complete stranger online.
The moment you began calling the guy a 5 year old, you basically have declared, "I will not listen to you at all you, accept everything that I say!" No one's gonna listen to you now! You'd have to be seriously autistic and/or socially dense as hell to not know this!
Watching both of you is like watching a pair of pit-bull puppies fighting over a toy. It's cute at first, then it starts getting really bad.

Besides, Fai has given plenty of reason for why he doesn't like the anime. You're calling hi ma 5 year old, but from my perspective, you're kind of the one acting like a 5 year old by oversimplifying everything he's saying, a major factor in why I've decided to stop arguing over stupid cartoons.

It is, as you said, a waste of time and space.

That being said, consider this:

How many shows are you watching this season? Of these, how many have you commented on, and how many have you dropped. Have you commented on those you dropped at any length other that to say "I don't consider this worth watching because [x]" Those are rhetorical questions, but you might begin to see my point.

To elaborate:
One of the shows I watched last season was Gundam: IBO. It was okay. I didn't like it enough to find it worth commenting on, though. More crucially, though, I didn't come to the board every single episode to nitpick and only nitpick negatively about it.

One need only say once that they find a show watchable, but that it isn't great. To repeat it ad nauseam, each episode and do nothing but complain endlessly as though one's opinions are going to somehow affect the direction of the show detracts from the discussion.
firemagnetMay 4, 2017 8:36 PM
May 4, 2017 8:34 PM
Nov 2016
firemagnet said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

Consider the following, however:

One ought to have the maturity to decide that "this show is or isn't worth watching for me" and simply decide not to watch it. Saying, "oh it could be so much better!" and then going on about how the show is so "bad" while giving shallow reasoning along the lines of "it's too generic, needs more action because I want to see more action and that's all this show is good for" does worse than nothing. It is a negative in every sense, and it's not as if the directors will somehow check this board, find Fai's post and say:

"hey, this random person has a point, let's change the entire show to suit their whims."

I have zero tolerance for people who take to forums not merely to argue, but to bitch endlessly about how a show is bad because it doesn't cater to their every whim and preconceived notion of what a particular show should be like.

"giving shallow reasoning"
Again, what is SHALLOW about not liking an anime for, again, purely perspective:
-Bad pacing
-Exposition dumps
-No as much focus on action
-And overall just boring the person

"I have zero tolerance for people who take to forums not merely to argue, but to bitch endlessly about how a show is bad because it doesn't cater to their every whim and preconceived notion of what a particular show should be like."
Maybe YOU were the one who turned it into an argument? Why should you take Fai's original post as an "argument", when it was his thoughts? Why should you be trying to change someone's thoughts when it doesn't, at least from my perspective, appear as though they do not want to debate about it, but talk about it? There's a large, yet not as clear, difference between talking about each others' opinions, vs responding incredibly aggressive in an attempt to FORCE each other to change their perspectives.
I have seen this countless times before: where someone passes out their opinion, and another person responds with the clear intention of arguing. This creates tension. And then the person who originally responded expresses disagreement, and then the other person responds more aggressively, like they are debating in court, which is, quite frankly...*strange*, to put it nicely...
Also, you are criticizing Fai for, "bitching" about an anime he doesn't like, endlessly, yet...what have you been doing? Arguably "bitching" about him because his actions do not cater towards what YOU want. He is an individual, yet you have been preaching to him endlessly to change what he thinks of a Japanese cartoon in a way that fits what YOU consider to be, "tolerant".
In fact, by responding to Fai about the same topic, you are ENCOURAGING him to respond using the same negative opinions he has of the anime. You are ENCOURAGING him to re-iterate why he doesn't like Re: Creators. So ironically, you're the one who is actually spreading the plague further.
What makes you think Fai, or ANYONE, for that matter, think the director will come to this forum and take the opinion of a random person? How has Fai, or ANYONE, showed that way of thinking? All I see from Fai is him responding to what you're saying to him, a basic human social instinct.
"endless bitching", to me, would be spamming posts without replying to anyone, posts that contain negative opinions that exist to beat the point of what the speaker is trying to say into the audience's head.

I suggest you, and everyone else, read from this link that talks about why arguing online is pointless:
http://brandnewchapter.com/7-reasons-arguing-online-is-a-waste-of-your-time/

May 4, 2017 8:48 PM
Jul 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
firemagnet said:

Consider the following, however:

One ought to have the maturity to decide that "this show is or isn't worth watching for me" and simply decide not to watch it. Saying, "oh it could be so much better!" and then going on about how the show is so "bad" while giving shallow reasoning along the lines of "it's too generic, needs more action because I want to see more action and that's all this show is good for" does worse than nothing. It is a negative in every sense, and it's not as if the directors will somehow check this board, find Fai's post and say:

"hey, this random person has a point, let's change the entire show to suit their whims."

I have zero tolerance for people who take to forums not merely to argue, but to bitch endlessly about how a show is bad because it doesn't cater to their every whim and preconceived notion of what a particular show should be like.

Again, what is SHALLOW about not liking an anime for, again, purely perspective:
-Bad pacing
-Exposition dumps

"I have zero tolerance for people who take to forums not merely to argue, but to bitch endlessly about how a show is bad because it doesn't cater to their every whim and preconceived notion of what a particular show should be like."
Maybe YOU were the one who turned it into an argument? Why should you take Fai's original post as an "argument", when it was his thoughts? Why should you be trying to change someone's thoughts when it doesn't, at least from my perspective, appear as though they do not want to debate about it, but talk about it? There's a large, yet not as clear, difference between talking about each others' opinions, vs responding incredibly aggressive in an attempt to FORCE each other to change their perspectives.
I have seen this countless times before: where someone passes out their opinion, and another person responds with the clear intention of arguing. This creates tension. And then the person who originally responded expresses disagreement, and then the other person responds more aggressively, like they are debating in court, which is, quite frankly...*strange*, to put it nicely...
Also, you are criticizing Fai for, "bitching" about an anime he doesn't like, endlessly, yet...what have you been doing? Arguably "bitching" about him because his actions do not cater towards what YOU want. He is an individual, yet you have been preaching to him endlessly to change what he thinks of a Japanese cartoon in a way that fits what YOU consider to be, "tolerant".
In fact, by responding to Fai about the same topic, you are ENCOURAGING him to respond using the same negative opinions he has of the anime. You are ENCOURAGING him to re-iterate why he doesn't like Re: Creators. So ironically, you're the one who is actually spreading the plague further.
What makes you think Fai, or ANYONE, for that matter, think the director will come to this forum and take the opinion of a random person? How has Fai, or ANYONE, showed that way of thinking? All I see from Fai is him responding to what you're saying to him, a basic human social instinct.
"endless bitching", to me, would be spamming posts without replying to anyone, posts that contain negative opinions that exist to beat the point of what the speaker is trying to say into the audience's head.

I suggest you, and everyone else, read from this link that talks about why arguing online is pointless:

Then I'll state it another way: We've already heard his opinion that he thinks the show is bad for x reasons. We heard that all the way back in episode 1, where it was abundantly clear that he didn't like the show. So why repeat that opinion each episode, bringing up the same points, and adding nothing to the discussion?

As I said above when I edited the post (while you were apparently responding to me), it's a negative in every sense.

The reason why I'm reacting to it like this is because I see it on MMO discussion forums (such as Warthunder's forum). It's annoying, it doesn't do anything, and it has a negative impact on the experience of other forum users, and that's before people start arguing with each other, which only makes it worse.
May 4, 2017 9:13 PM
Nov 2016
firemagnet said:
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

-Bad pacing
-Exposition dumps

Then I'll state it another way: We've already heard his opinion that he thinks the show is bad for x reasons. We heard that all the way back in episode 1, where it was abundantly clear that he didn't like the show. So why repeat that opinion each episode, bringing up the same points, and adding nothing to the discussion?

As I said above when I edited the post (while you were apparently responding to me), it's a negative in every sense.

The reason why I'm reacting to it like this is because I see it on MMO discussion forums (such as Warthunder's forum). It's annoying, it doesn't do anything, and it has a negative impact on the experience of other forum users, and that's before people start arguing with each other, which only makes it worse.

Ohhhh, okay. Then out of curiosity I'll check Fai's other posts from the previous eps to understand where you're coming from.
May 4, 2017 9:25 PM
Jul 2014
AnimeFanboy1234 said:
firemagnet said:

Ohhhh, okay. Then out of curiosity I'll check Fai's other posts from the previous eps to understand where you're coming from.

negative commentary from Fai starts:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1607541&show=200#msg50414718

though I made the mistake of attempting to respond to Gangstercat and Fai at the same time.
May 5, 2017 3:36 AM

Jul 2015
Who is this megane, who keeps appearing in opening? As I remember, she killed herself in episode 1.

Also, its 8 months since I heard Inori Minase talking for over 10 minutes.

May 5, 2017 5:07 AM

Jan 2015
After 4 episodes this is still not that appealing or interesting. This is now in the "watch at 2x speed" category for me.
May 5, 2017 5:58 AM

Sep 2016
Zemroid said:
After 4 episodes this is still not that appealing or interesting. This is now in the "watch at 2x speed" category for me.

yup i agree. But i am not quite there yet, but i will be soon if nothing changes.

Do not take life too seriously.
You will never get out of it alive.

May 5, 2017 9:36 AM
Jul 2014
Piromysl said:
Who is this megane, who keeps appearing in opening? As I remember, she killed herself in episode 1.

Also, its 8 months since I heard Inori Minase talking for over 10 minutes.

girl in the intro with the glasses is Setsuna. It has been suggested that she is MUP's creator. She also happens to be dead.

H1r0gen said:
Zemroid said:

yup i agree. But i am not quite there yet, but i will be soon if nothing changes.

Well, if you're not interested you're not interested. OTOH, episode 5 comes out tomorrow and it does look like we have a fight that features the mecha pilot, Kanoya Rui.
May 5, 2017 10:45 AM

Sep 2016
Zemroid said:

H1r0gen said:

firemagnet said:
Well, if you're not interested you're not interested. OTOH, episode 5 comes out tomorrow and it does look like we have a fight that features the mecha pilot, Kanoya Rui.

I think its not because there are no fights, its because for 4 episodes they are trying to explain why there is no law of physics in this universe. And it fails miserably because there can't be an explanation why there is a lack of physics in an universe.
If i was not interested in this anime i would dropped it long time ago. The show should get better in due time i hope

May 5, 2017 1:48 PM
Jul 2014
H1r0gen said:
Zemroid said:

H1r0gen said:

firemagnet said:

I think its not because there are no fights, its because for 4 episodes they are trying to explain why there is no law of physics in this universe. And it fails miserably because there can't be an explanation why there is a lack of physics in an universe.
If i was not interested in this anime i would dropped it long time ago. The show should get better in due time i hope

I disagree that they spent four episodes discussing why there are no physics. The discussion was broader than that.

The essential theory that was laid down is "Someone from a fictional world will appear with all of their abilities, and this universe will attempt to adapt to them by loosening the 'rules' so to speak." The discussion also covered perspectives on how creators and the created would interact, how they feel about their roles, as well as if, how, or why changes might be made.

I find that fascinating, to be honest.

However, the discussion isn't just for that; they're also establishing the motives, personalities, and reasoning behind the characters, as well as setting the stage for the next fight.

Another, simpler way to put it is that the show isn't taking its audience for granted and letting them assume things about what is going on; it is trying to establish a coherent narrative. Thus, if the characters don't know something they try to find out what is going on rather than a convenient little statement to the effect of "ok, we just found this out, what do we do about it?"

May 5, 2017 3:13 PM

Sep 2016
Zemroid said:

H1r0gen said:

firemagnet said:

H1r0gen said:

firemagnet said:

I disagree that they spent four episodes discussing why there are no physics. The discussion was broader than that.
The essential theory that was laid down is "Someone from a fictional world will appear with all of their abilities, and this universe will attempt to adapt to them by loosening the 'rules' so to speak." The discussion also covered perspectives on how creators and the created would interact, how they feel about their roles, as well as if, how, or why changes might be made.
However, the discussion isn't just for that; they're also establishing the motives, personalities, and reasoning behind the characters, as well as setting the stage for the next fight.
Another, simpler way to put it is that the show isn't taking its audience for granted and letting them assume things about what is going on; it is trying to establish a coherent narrative. Thus, if the characters don't know something they try to find out what is going on rather than a convenient little statement to the effect of "ok, we just found this out, what do we do about it?"

I know, that the discussion is broader then that but for me all other things are overshadowed by the same things that were revealed in the first episode, and not interesting dull characters.
There is something that is not clicking with me, probably this show is better binge-watched, dunno. Or its perhaps the the problem that i am reading a Psychiatry book at this moment "The Myth of Mental Illness" by Thomas Szasz (great book by the way).

This season is pretty bad in comparison to the last one. I will see how i feel about this anime after next episode.

May 5, 2017 3:46 PM

Jan 2015
firemagnet said:
H1r0gen said:

It's doing a good job at exploring the themes but the problem is that I personally don't find it interesting at all. In contrast, Seikaisuru Kado is really interesting and one of my favorites this season.
May 5, 2017 9:25 PM
Jul 2014
Zemroid said:
firemagnet said:

It's doing a good job at exploring the themes but the problem is that I personally don't find it interesting at all. In contrast, Seikaisuru Kado is really interesting and one of my favorites this season.

Fair enough. It's not your cup of tea, it would seem. I respect you for recognizing that.
May 6, 2017 9:54 PM

Feb 2017
firemagnet said:
Zoos said:
O M G. Oh, gosh. This anime... this anime is the dream of every semiotics/literature nerd ever! Jfc, the themes that are presented here are quite a feast for me. Suddenly, this started talking about intersemiotic translation (Roman Jakobson) and about "The Death of the Author" (Roland Barthes). It is also very filled with notions of structuralism and post-structuralism. How the author plays such a big role in the creation of her/his world, but at the same time you can completely disregard the author. Yes, I can say that Re:Creators is the best new anime for this season.

I'm going to stop being a scholar nerd here and start to be a mecha nerd now. Yes, yes, the robot and the pilot are here, that was something I was really looking forward to. Because adolescent-piloted robots are awesome and you all know it.

See, you get it. I don't have as much depth in this as you do, but you recognize what it's exploring. Unlike a few individuals on this board who shall remain unnamed.

On that note, would you mind expanding on the literature references a bit? I'm genuinely interested.

Roland Barthes was a French literary critic/theorist, philosopher, and linguistic. He made impressive changes on how literature was analized. The structuralist critics said, put in very basic terms, that literature had to be analyzed under defined structures and the personal/biographical life of the author was a key point to understand it. The post-structuralists, like Barthes, said "fuck it", and proposed new ways to understand and analyze literature, among them the idea that the work was totally comprehensible without the author, that the author was really non important. Literature for the sake of literature, if you will.

You can read Barth's "The Death of the Author" here http://www.tbook.constantvzw.org/wp-content/death_authorbarthes.pdf (he even refers to the authors as "gods", lol).

On the other hand, Roman Jakobson was a semiotcs theorist. He proposed the intersemiotic translation, that is, basically, translation from one media to another; i.e. the translation from a verbal language to a laguage made of images and sounds. In other words, adaptations. And in Re:Creators there is a lot of adaptation: from light novels to manga to anime to games, etc. And we can push the intersemiotic tranlation to another whole new level: from anime/games/manga to real life (a real life inside of this fictional narrative, but that's nothing more than another fictional narrative for us, making it really, really meta!).

As a lit scholar, this anime blows my mind.

[Btw, I'm a girl. :) ]
ZoosMay 6, 2017 9:58 PM
May 7, 2017 2:57 AM

Jul 2014
Lot of exposition. Two new characters unveiled.
May 8, 2017 2:50 AM
Mar 2012
ost mixed with Meteora calm voice so wonderful, quite thoughtful tho long talks.
traces to creator, whole ep shows a lot of her personality, like she can't bother finding an 'O' but broke the 'S'.
food faces
Seems team Meteora is to keep normalcy to prevent this world going to apocalypse, while Himegimi gathers folks trying to save their own story worlds by disturbing said normalcy (but she didnt outright say destroy this world). Not clear yet how that'll save the story worlds.
Ex Machina (lol) & Mamika interesting banter, lots of hints Mamika still conflicted & quite far from Alice's goal.
May 8, 2017 4:23 AM

Jun 2016
This was basically just an info dump episode. I wish they had done a little more with the fact, that Meteora's creator had died. Wasn't he kind of her god? Wouldn't that affect somebody deeply if their "god" died?

I loved that little interaction with paladin woman (can't remember the name) and sailor moon (yeah.. can't remember that one either).
May 10, 2017 11:38 AM

Aug 2009
Strident said:
When world building, there are much better ways to do so than talk to the audience. Souta is so incredibly passive that I feel like I'm just being lectured about the plot. Meteora's conclusions come at a very convenient time for flimsy reasons, and all the interesting interactions in the background go unvoiced while Meteora just TALKS TO THE AUDIENCE. Not once, but twice.

I cannot stress how lazy this kind of directing is. When writing a script, you should try to show, not tell. There is even less excuse in a visual medium since the whole point is to show. But instead, we get told while watching a bunch of mini-scenes that aren't even voiced. This show is just bleeding potential all over the floor.

This post pretty much sums up my feelings about the show. It's a real shame, because they have a REALLY interesting concept here and they're just pissing all over it.

God help us if the next episode is another infodump episode with hardly any interesting interactions.
May 13, 2017 7:04 PM

Feb 2013
Needs
Action

Not much progress was really made this episode. The explanation/theory could have been shorter.
May 16, 2017 6:54 AM

May 2015
Alice-chan is so cute.

Wild Mecha appears!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 22, 2017 1:08 AM
Jan 2016
Sigh...When I read this I kind of remember the complaining about the death note manga cause it has "too much text". Wtf?? People always want to have a super mega great anime but forget that a good story needs time to develope. If this show gives you "too much information" or dialogue or whatever, please go back watching your nonsense ecchi or comedy stuff. Like I said: Good story needs time to develope.
We don´t know whether it will be a good story at the end, but right now the anime is doing it just right.
Jun 2, 2017 2:21 PM

Jun 2013
MUP wants to crash the world, we're just not sure why. I understand that not everyone can enjoy the style of the first half, i.e. slice of life footage and verbal exposition. But I'm starting to like these nerds, so yeah, I think I just buckled up for the whole series.

Alice has a great design, and Hikasa Yoko is goat. I wonder if her world is a dark fantasy thing. She's one of those no-nonsense determinator characters, so she and Mamika can play off of each other excellently.
LeeTailorJun 2, 2017 2:38 PM
Jun 4, 2017 6:40 AM

Jul 2009
Alice is a nice girl, she is mad coz she lives in a hell thanks to her creator...
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Creators Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2017

260 by Karva1 »»
May 27, 9:56 PM

Poll: » Re:Creators Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2017

207 by Karva1 »»
May 27, 9:23 PM

Poll: » Re:Creators Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2017

237 by Karva1 »»
May 27, 3:31 PM

Poll: » Re:Creators Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2017

244 by Karva1 »»
May 26, 10:21 PM

Poll: » Re:Creators Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 7, 2017

377 by Karva1 »»
May 25, 9:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.