Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 26, 2015 8:01 AM

May 2015
and finally my national cuisine tempe has known by the world
Jul 26, 2015 10:23 AM
Oct 2012
ani12 said:
and yes, I agree with yhunata, and also that the school never focuses on regular classes, there are camps, tournaments, etc, which is a practical experience for them...

No, they attend classes, Souma bumps into Erina at a couple. But the story is what happens outside the classroom, so they rightly gloss over these.
Jul 26, 2015 10:26 AM

Dec 2011
Kytrarewn said:
I really liked this episode, but it revealed a flaw of the adaptation to me which may or may not be a flaw of the manga as well.

We're supposed to believe that Souma has improved drastically. He's learned new molecular gastronomy techniques, he's learned to cook a whole new range of food styles, etc.

Yet, there hasn't been a single frame of Souma sitting in a classroom learning any of this nonsense. If there was at least one or two 30 second scenes of Souma sitting down in a classroom and learning food facts to bring up later instead of pulling all of this nonsense out of his ass.

A small nitpick, to be sure, but the show would be very slightly better with that sort of scene happening at least once.

It isn't that type of school. They learned everything all of that in middle school(except for Soma) and now their skills are just being put to the test.
Jul 26, 2015 11:26 AM
Jun 2015
Takuan_Soho said:
ani12 said:
and yes, I agree with yhunata, and also that the school never focuses on regular classes, there are camps, tournaments, etc, which is a practical experience for them...

No, they attend classes, Souma bumps into Erina at a couple. But the story is what happens outside the classroom, so they rightly gloss over these.

Obviously, they attend...but I wanted to say that the main skills are mainly developed or tested outside the classrooom..
Jul 26, 2015 1:01 PM

Oct 2011
Joichiro BAD@SSS

I want to try that Apple Risotto
Jul 26, 2015 9:02 PM

Aug 2014
Eviix said:
I loved the episode... Too bad Erina didn't see Soumas father. I wanted to see how she would have react when she realizes that Jouichirou is Soumas father.

same lol
Jul 26, 2015 9:10 PM

Jul 2015
That episode was awesome. I burst out laughing at some parts. When I finished the episode, and realized that it was over, I was depressed that I would have to wait. Then, I reflected on some of the scenes and burst into hysterical fits....damn good.
"Ohhh how humans fall to love so easily. Tis a truth unrequited that we, being so weak, pity the weak, and detest the weaker."

-My Brain

Jul 27, 2015 4:56 AM

Apr 2014
wowwww the 2nd seat
ok im just wondering but did souma's mum pass away or something
Jul 27, 2015 8:00 AM
May 2012
potatoquality said:
Eviix said:
I loved the episode... Too bad Erina didn't see Soumas father. I wanted to see how she would have react when she realizes that Jouichirou is Soumas father.

same lol

that still didn't happen in the manga
so you have to wait a bit for that...T_T
Jul 27, 2015 9:08 AM

Nov 2010
Kytrarewn said:
I really liked this episode, but it revealed a flaw of the adaptation to me which may or may not be a flaw of the manga as well.

We're supposed to believe that Souma has improved drastically. He's learned new molecular gastronomy techniques, he's learned to cook a whole new range of food styles, etc.

Yet, there hasn't been a single frame of Souma sitting in a classroom learning any of this nonsense. If there was at least one or two 30 second scenes of Souma sitting down in a classroom and learning food facts to bring up later instead of pulling all of this nonsense out of his ass.

A small nitpick, to be sure, but the show would be very slightly better with that sort of scene happening at least once.

I think it's intentional. Asides from few moments in the camp, it's true indeed that Souma

We will see how it will effect the next major arc (not the karaage one), and it will become the focus in the arc right after.

They indeed should have to show Souma in classes a little bit more, though. I actually smirked when they show him attending class in one of the recent chapter and I just remembered that he's actually a friggin high schooler lol.
Jul 27, 2015 10:29 AM
Jun 2015
zeroyuki92 said:
Kytrarewn said:

I think it's intentional. Asides from few moments in the camp, it's true indeed that Souma

We will see how it will effect the next major arc (not the karaage one), and it will become the focus in the arc right after.

They indeed should have to show Souma in classes a little bit more, though. I actually smirked when they show him attending class in one of the recent chapter and I just remembered that he's actually a friggin high schooler lol.

Absolutely agree with you....it's not a series where the mc will win anything and everything..... more realistic I suppose

Anyway, manga well explained :)
Jul 27, 2015 11:17 AM

Jun 2013
Good to know Karaage arc is happening. Time to take care of the other two harem talents aight Souma?
Jul 28, 2015 1:52 AM

Dec 2012
Souma's father won with his perfect ramen. Another great episode.
Jul 28, 2015 3:53 AM

Nov 2014
potatoquality said:
Eviix said:

same lol
she would get really wet.

Jul 28, 2015 9:16 PM

Jul 2009
Ahhh man, great battle between Souma and his father :D Looks like Souma's used to losing by now, but he sure doesn't give up ... I guess that's his dad's way of checking up on him huh? Funny how they take notes after XD In any case it's no surprise Souma lost - after all, Jouichirou's pretty stacked when it comes to cooking ;P Too bad Erina didn't manage to see him properly! That would have been a great scene :O
Looks like there's gonna be a change of scenery before the Autumn Selection going back to the shopping district where the Yukihira restaurant is. Maybe everybody's going out of business or something? Or they want to be bought out just like in the first episode?! Hmm ... either way, should be good :D
Jul 30, 2015 11:11 PM
Apr 2013
Boring and too long. IDK why they spent a WHOLE episode on this.
Aug 1, 2015 4:30 AM

Oct 2008
Amazing episode!
Even the sleep-deprived Megumi is still adorable!
Cooking battle between Father and Son!
0 - 490 that must've hurt so much for Souma, but since it's his OP father it's ok and will be his motivation on the upcoming battles on Tohtsuki.
Does Erina have DILF fetish!?
5/5.

Aug 6, 2015 3:54 PM

Jan 2014
I am fully aware that and how they're building up to Souma x Erina, but still:

TADOKOROOOOOOOOOOO,.. BEST GIRL!
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 8, 2015 1:14 AM
Jun 2015
After hearing the ED2 song, this song isn't that bad lol. but ED1 is still better
Aug 13, 2015 7:57 AM

Jul 2008
Great cooking battle, doubt Souma will ever beat his dad unless if it's in the finale :D
Aug 27, 2015 4:27 PM

Dec 2009
Wow Joichiro is strong. Is there another cook in this series that could even compete with him save Gin?
Sep 1, 2015 6:29 PM

Jul 2012
Souma's dish was really interesting, but his dad's ramen looked amazing even without meat :p

Yukihara temporarily closing affected a whole shopping district. I wouldn't be surprised if the people around there have withdrawals from not being able to eat the Yukiharas' cooking anymore 😂 But it looks like Souma will be back for a bit before the Autumn Selection arc starts.
Sep 15, 2015 7:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Erina's face when she finds out when Som's dad is will be a sight to see.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 15, 2015 9:45 AM

Nov 2011
Despite being granted a result, the conflict between father and son is useful to understand a whole lot of things, namely: What taught the father Joichiro, son Soma, and what are the strengths of Soma and the father. The first, to get off the hook due to its versatility, more pronounced attending the new school, the second is managing to put the knowledge into practice by chefs with the accumulated experience of all the "battlefields" abroad. I enjoyed the story, for the useful information provided during the examination of the dishes. Those who, looking different satisfactions, will find pleasant "perhaps" the humor and the plot that is being created in the towel. Excellent designs and sets, the anime is almost always on top of everything, an element that makes it attractive to most.
Oct 4, 2015 11:53 PM

Jul 2015
Great Ep
Oct 7, 2015 10:56 AM

May 2012
And that's his 490'ste loss :p pretty fun episode in general, that ending sure was great so let's see what's next!
Oct 8, 2015 4:43 AM

Jul 2013
So Yoichiro was checking up on Souma in his own way and also testing out his growth in kitchen.Souma didn't stand a chance against dad though lol.I thought he would stick around a little bit longer though.
So due to Joichiro and Souma being away the diner has been temporarily closed but it seems to have affected other businesses in the community.It would be nice if Souma visited soon to ''air'' out the shop like his dad said.
Oct 8, 2015 7:04 PM

Jul 2013
Now we know why Souma feels so confident when he cooks. 490 duels against his father and every single one he lost. But how could he even win, his extreme experienced father who travels all over the world and cooked in the best restaurantes. I would love to know if some of these crazy dishes are cookable irl, everything sounds so delicious.

Lol when they wrote their duel down in their books. :D
And of course prince apple >.<

Oct 11, 2015 9:15 AM

Aug 2014
One of the weaker episodes. Not much plot, only this fight with dad..

poor Erina didn't meet with Souma father :(

and I still dont like this ED song..
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Oct 11, 2015 1:35 PM

Dec 2010
Kytrarewn said:

This is what i cant understand,so its ok if everyone else is a genius eg Erica from birth,genius baby right.Believe me i would like to see more of them in school but i think the show wants to focus on cooking part and learning from experience.
Oct 25, 2015 4:53 PM

Jul 2012
Another episode that left me hungry. I want some breakfast ramen!

It was kind of mediocre of an ep, though. They lengthened/slowed the pacing too much.
Nov 6, 2015 8:06 AM
May 2012
I want that ramen so bad, and I was eating dinner while watching this episode.
Nov 8, 2015 7:16 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I liked Souma's dish more than Joichiro's, mainly because it gave off that simple appearance.

Erina asking to stop the car. Just what type of business does she have with Joichiro?

Dec 24, 2015 9:30 PM
Jan 9, 2016 1:01 PM

Jun 2010
Tokoya said:
Souma's dad is way too badass, having 490 wins under his belt, I think we all knew that Souma didn't have a chance, but even then, he put up a great fight with that delicious looking apple risotto.

I think that risotto was kinda pathetic since it didn't have imagination. Well i don't like fruits in a hot food (apple, pineapple...), so I'm sure that wasn't very good dish. :D

Not everyone knows why Erina has a picture of Souma's father, but i find it boring that she does. That way she has to give at list some kind of respect to Souma. Maybe she became a cook because of his influence? Haven't read the manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2016 8:56 AM

Sep 2014
Snow White Megumi looked so gorgeous, then apple prince shows up to ruin it xD
Dat young Fumio *A* dancing with Isshiki lol
Was pretty obvious Joichiro would win although Souma put up a nice fight :o
Can't wait to see Erina's reaction when she learns about Souma's father.
Great episode!
Jan 24, 2016 10:37 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm. Even though he was shielding him from his fame, I wonder why Joichiro only trained Souma in dining food techniques. I guess it could have made him a lot more skilled at what he does know...

I thought it was pretty clear that Joichiro won, but it was a fun match all the same. I wish I could've tried some.
Feb 21, 2016 7:14 AM

Apr 2015
Daddy is epic :p

Nice episode.
May 8, 2016 9:39 PM

Jun 2013
Souma vs. Joichiro.
Of course, the father wins. He just wants to see if Souma really grows up through the unofficial contest. Yeah, Souma really improves so much.
I just can't wait Erina's reaction if she finds out that Souma's dad is someone she's fond of.
Karaage next!
Jun 12, 2016 9:08 PM

Dec 2012
Too early for Souma to beat Jouichirou. lol

Younger Fumio returned!

The power of Rikiya compels Erina to stop the car.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jun 28, 2016 1:26 PM

Apr 2013
Of course he couldn't beat his dad, he isn't ready yet :3
I saw some Nikumi in the preview, yay <3
Jul 30, 2016 3:04 AM

Sep 2015
HAHA when Megumi woke up huh why are they cooking against each other 5 minutes later. Soma wasn't ready to take on his dad. It might be a LONG time before he ever will be ready. Great episode
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Sep 23, 2016 11:18 PM

Sep 2013
Fun episode. I wonder what Joichiro's connection to Erina is.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 11, 2016 7:58 PM

Nov 2010
-------------OHHHH. ANIME. K. So after the whole training camp ends, Yukihira goes back to the Polar Star dorm to find his dad there and then challenges him to a food war. HAHA. In the manga, I'm totally reading about what happens next in the next episode so I guess I'll wait for that. There wasn't this part in the manga...yet. MANNN. I really want to try this stuff but I'm way too lazy. HAHA. Also, I don't really like fruit in my entrees but I'd be willing to give this a try.

HAHAHA. THAT MONK WHO CRAVES MEAT.

OOOHH. Granny mentioned the Fall Elections which I kind of remember about. I wonder if Dad will show up there, too. He's so cool. And then Erina seems to have a past with Dad. HAHA. I think that I caught up to the anime from the manga! YES.
Nov 4, 2016 8:07 PM
Nov 2016
Leiss said:
This episode made me feel like Megumi is the one that will end up with Soma.
Erina is way too infatuated with Jouichirou to even look at Soma in that way, and even if something were to happen between them it would be short lived as she will always judge him based on his father's existence...

Yes and I liked it when Soma said something like "Let's make it to the Top 10 Elite together" <3 Soma x Megumi
Nov 5, 2016 4:04 AM
Nov 2016
In this episode, Fumio sad that Soma's father has lost to a lot of Shokugekis because he kept on using recipes that haven't been tested. So I think the reason why he wasn't able to graduate is he lost at one Shokugeki where the price is for him to drop out of school.
Dec 5, 2016 10:20 AM
Jun 2015
Soma's father is so cool!! Who knew? I wonder what the connection is between Erina and Soma's dad..
Dec 8, 2016 3:12 AM

Jul 2008
Heh of course Souma would lose...he's up against a graduate with world class experience.
Dec 30, 2016 3:58 PM
Jun 2016
I wonder what relationship Erina has to Soma's dad?
Sep 11, 2017 6:10 PM

Mar 2012
I wish Souma didn't start out so good at cooking since his character is already at a point where for him to lose he'd need to have some serious handicap or face off against his OP dad. Just makes the cooking battles predictable.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2015

423 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 5:16 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2015

196 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

233 by The_Black_B3ast »»
May 20, 4:16 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

188 by Yiuumii »»
May 20, 12:13 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2015

171 by Yiuumii »»
May 20, 12:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.