Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2015 3:04 AM

Jan 2013
This isn't what I was expecting, uh... well the art looks cool. I hope the story gets better.
Jul 8, 2015 3:05 AM

Dec 2010
Looks very interesting. Pretty unique to make the MC a "villain" in this show. I'm curious as to how this'll turn out but I hope it won't be a disaster like SAO was. Animation was a bit choppy tho, not expecting it to be that way since it's the first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2015 3:44 AM

Mar 2013
Is that Anchorage Water Oni i just saw?

Not sure if the protagonist is really the villain here but i'd sure love if he is one, looks unique and interesting that way. Loved the OP and ED, great start
What was my signature again?
Jul 8, 2015 5:05 AM

Oct 2009
It's not original but for now it looks promising.
Jul 8, 2015 5:40 AM

Jun 2013
so i guess mmo anime are a trend now huh? at least it looks interesting
Jul 8, 2015 6:10 AM

Jun 2012
Rayzer said:
Thought's for this Episode:

Okay the Story was good (Trapped Inside A Game). The animation was just fine.
The OP and ED songs are good too. I'll definitely watch the full version of the song or it's Music Video.
I'll stick watching this to find out more if this would be awesome in the next episodes. Because It's MadHouse

salvationhopeJul 8, 2015 6:23 AM
Jul 8, 2015 6:17 AM

Jan 2011
Didn't exactly wow me. Definitely feels more LH than SAO so far, although it's only the first episode so we'll see.
Jul 8, 2015 6:17 AM

Nov 2009
This could be interesting, it almost feels like we are seeing it from the bad guy's perspective.

Expecting to see Hero NPC's trying to defeat him in upcoming episodes. After all it looks almost like a raid dungeon that he is in charge of, especially with his boss fighters on each floor.
Jul 8, 2015 6:33 AM

Dec 2014
I kinda like this episode. :)
I hope the next episodes are just as good or better. :)
Jul 8, 2015 6:37 AM

Jul 2013
i feel like the visuals and the animation isn't good enough for something coming from madhouse
im kinda disappointed
Jul 8, 2015 7:04 AM

Jan 2011
Seems interesting enough for me. Haha imagine if he didn't change Albedo's settings from being a bitch.

Always nice to see a MC which is calm and logical. Seeing a similarity between Momonga and Shiroe from LH.
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Jul 8, 2015 7:53 AM

Jun 2009
Meh it was okay. I know I can't really judge it based on the first episode, but I don't think it can keep me interested every week. I'll probably marathon it when the anime's done.

Jul 8, 2015 7:53 AM
Jun 2013
This looks good! I'm calling it: Top 5 of the season!
Jul 8, 2015 8:12 AM

Apr 2012
Pretty decent adaptation.
I'm not sure weather to be glad or upset at the pacing but for now its okay.
Also it was great and all but... something just feels lacking.
Regardless I will be watching this, unless it goes downhill somehow.
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Jul 8, 2015 8:15 AM
Mar 2015
The OP had the Cocytus vs Zaryusu scene from the Lizardmen arc... which means they are trying to squeeze 4 volumes into 1-cour?

I liked the light novel, it was awesome, I hope this anime adaptation does it justice. For those who watch this anime and found it underwhelming, I strongly suggest reading the light novel, Ainz Ooal Gown or Momonga is infinitely more badass in there than what I see here so far. Up to 4 volumes have been translated so far at Skythewood's blog.
Shuriken_2393Jul 8, 2015 8:19 AM
Jul 8, 2015 8:25 AM

Feb 2015
End Song rule mainly due to Albedo being the whole thing..:)

I really hope there is going to be a bigger background to why the game became real and not just it just reset..
Must say though, I really enjoyed the first episode, I'm liking the two voice's of Momonga but still shocked as I thought he would be flippinng out..And it's only the first episode and he's already thinking about staying in this world. Can't blame him with Albedo by his side..;)

5/5 for me
Jul 8, 2015 8:33 AM

Jun 2014
People comparing this to SAO because they are both rpg anime lol..

Interesting start. Opening and ending were great, loved the endings visuals. The OST is some of the best I've heard so far this season. The songs that played when Momonga was sitting at the table and the piano song that was playing when he contacted Sebas Tian are beautiful. The former are reminiscent of Final Fantasy in a way.
Jul 8, 2015 9:12 AM

Jan 2014
Pretty good start I guess. It seems it was introductory episode. I like the setting, gives me Log Horizon vibes. But it seems, it'll be quite different then sao or Log horizon. Well, but thats also pretty cool, always want to see something different :)

I didnt like OP at all, I think it was disappointing for such anime. Ending is better, imo, I loved ed visuals.
Animation unfortunately sucks a bit... Well, now lets wait for next episode :)
Jul 8, 2015 9:24 AM

Jun 2013
Yeoun said:
nice another anime about RPG's = 1/10

i don't think it's a good reason to reject an anime without looking more into it ...

edit : to other post , please if you spoil from lighNovel ,warn it before ^^
FrenchDeathJul 8, 2015 9:33 AM
Jul 8, 2015 9:26 AM

Apr 2011
Wanna watch log horizon again. But it's like 90% useless scenes on it.
~♥~ Otaku + Otaku - Otaku = Otaku ~♥~
Jul 8, 2015 10:05 AM

Oct 2013
I just came to vent about the absolute horrible "camera-panning" scenes, freaking nearly caused motion sickness.
Jul 8, 2015 10:23 AM
Jun 2015
From what I've heard the stuttery animation is funimations fault, cause the raws aren't affected ( dont know if its true)

Anyway, I like the setting of this world, with the OP MC whos not gonna try to break out and overall the MMORPG thing. Yes, I know there are several anime with the MMORPG setting, but I still like it. Not every anime has to be innovative just enjoyable.
Jul 8, 2015 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
That was a lot worse than I expected! But it's only the first episode so hopefully it'll get better.
Jul 8, 2015 11:38 AM

May 2015
Hmmm..... nope, I’m not digging this whatsoever. I really dislike the look of everything, especially the characters. Production values are subpar, but that doesn’t come as surprising to me after watching the PVs. I can’t say that much about story right now. It´s alright for what it is, I guess.

Some say that the novel gets gory, twisted, and whatnot later on, but for the looks of it, I doubt we’ll see any of that in here. Not that I care, especially with character designs like these.

ED is pretty nice though (song and ED sequence).
I like OP’s song as well. Although, the song is wasted in such tacky and lackluster OP sequence.

Anyway, I’ll keep watching it for the time being to see where this is headed. But as right now, songs excluded, I’m pretty disappointed. Below-average 1st episode……

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jul 8, 2015 1:06 PM

Mar 2009
Shuriken_2393 said:
The OP had the Cocytus vs Zaryusu scene from the Lizardmen arc... which means they are trying to squeeze 4 volumes into 1-cour?

I liked the light novel, it was awesome, I hope this anime adaptation does it justice. For those who watch this anime and found it underwhelming, I strongly suggest reading the light novel, Ainz Ooal Gown or Momonga is infinitely more badass in there than what I see here so far. Up to 4 volumes have been translated so far at Skythewood's blog.
Someone mentioned even up to 8 volumes but I doubt that's true.
Even so I feel like the pacing of the novel will be too slow to fit into 13 episodes. Hopefully it will turn out to be a decent adaption.

When he slammed his skeleton hand on the table and it showed "0 damage points" I lost it.

Also fuck Funi.
Jul 8, 2015 1:28 PM

Apr 2013
Looks alright so far. Thank god Momonga removed that bitch sub-routine when he did, otherwise he might not be liking Yggdrasil so much right now.
Jul 8, 2015 1:56 PM

Jul 2009
Evil Comedy Lich with a flair for the Dramatic.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Jul 8, 2015 2:02 PM

Feb 2015
I'll give it another episode but I doubt I'll end up following this show.
Jul 8, 2015 3:33 PM

Dec 2012
Pretty dank.

10/10
[/URL]
Jul 8, 2015 3:37 PM

Oct 2014
NoongaJuice said:
What's probably annoying me is that there are no humans in this world. Sure, NPC's are fine... but they're just programs built by humans. Yeah, we could get the whole "NPC's develop human emotions" plot twist, but we(I)'ve seen that before, and it doesn't interest me that much anymore. I hope there will be something that does catch my interest soon.

How do you know that? I mean we don't know if perhaps other players somewhere else, like him, waiting for the server shutdown, but getting trapped in the other world (this is just speculation, I didn't read the LN yet, though I plan to).
Jul 8, 2015 4:13 PM

Oct 2011
So he is sent to another world similar to the game.?

I wonder if others who stayed are also here too.
Jul 8, 2015 5:07 PM

May 2014
Not gonna lie....i'm pretty hyped for this series since I went into it completely blind and still have no idea what to expect. Plus Albedo is gorgeous!!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2015 5:45 PM
Jan 2015
Warbandit18 said:
This is deffo gonna get 2 seasons or else they wouldnt show images of volume 1 through 6 in the opening. i very muc hlikede the first episode and waiting for the nex t episode.

I really hope so because if they try and jam 6 volumes into 13 episodes it will be a ******* mess. I'm kinda worried about those CGI skeletons. CGI undead should be put down and stay down. If I can take the first episode as an example for the future episodes then the pacing will be good and they will be faithful to the story without missing important stuff and a second season will be likely. I'll watch closely in the next few episodes to know for sure.

Momonga gave me a boner so I watched ep. 1 three times today. I'm that excited.
Jul 8, 2015 6:38 PM

Sep 2013
ah..god..it's hard to find a good first episode like this nowdays..lol
I think there is a lot of people picked this just because the name of the animation studio..just like me..XD..
well..I hope it gonna be as good as NGNL..:3
Jul 8, 2015 7:08 PM

Oct 2013
I actually can’t believe how hooked the 1st ep of Overlord got me. I’m hardly a fan of mmo anime. In fact, I’ve managed to stay away from all of them besides SAO(and like many others, not much of a fan of the 1st season, thought I did enjoy the 2nd). Even with SAO, if I didn’t happen to get into it already then I wouldn’t pick it up at this point. Log Horizon doesn’t really interest me even if it’s claimed to be “better”(if anything, I prefer SAO because Kirito-Stu make’s it fun once you’re able to not take it seriously and revel in his Stu feats).

Yet Overlord’s premiere was quite alluring. Big reasons are probably that it works in the opposite way in various aspects than the thing one could expect with MMO anime. The most obvious is the protagonist not being the hero, but the opposite – but not an evil one(unless he has to act that way for appearances sake perhaps). But it seems to be more than that. Where other such anime present a newer MMO, or a very popular & functional one at least, this one’s about one that’s about to go down. Like, it doesn’t start with a beginning, but an ending.

But maybe I’m getting too hyped here based on just a premise that reek’s of potential because I actually wanted a MMO anime but something different. Heck, I remember being hyped after the 1st few episodes of SAO(s1) too.

So with all that being said, in Madhouse we trust?
Jul 8, 2015 7:15 PM

May 2013
Not sure what to say but i just want to see the MC's real face and D:
SweetCoconutJul 8, 2015 10:03 PM
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 8, 2015 7:18 PM

Apr 2014
Another power fantasy, another garbage, idiots are everywhere these days now, can't believe this is one of the "better" shows this season, god anime is horrible these days.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jul 8, 2015 8:12 PM

Sep 2013
ap1001 said:
Another power fantasy, another garbage, idiots are everywhere these days now, can't believe this is one of the "better" shows this season, god anime is horrible these days.
you can't judge a show from the first episode..
Jul 8, 2015 8:38 PM

Mar 2009
HeroKenzan said:

[size=23]another garbage-tier show,thank you modern Madhouse.

Hongu said:
Modern Madhouse is shit, what do you expect?

Ore Monogatari
Death Parade
Parasyte
Hunter x Hunter
Hajime no Ippo: Rising
Chihayafuru
Tatami Galaxy
Redline

I can deal with shows like NGNL, Mahouka, and Overlord if Madhouse continues to pump out shows like those above. And hell, this first episode of Overlord wasn't even that bad.
Jul 8, 2015 8:44 PM

Apr 2014
surprisingly did not feel like hurling after this episode with that boob grope fanservice. I actually kinda wanna see more of this, not sure why.
Jul 8, 2015 8:53 PM
Jun 2013
Episode 1 is pretty good actually. Power fantasy makes for a good entertainment. I'm looking forward to see how the mc's going to run the world.
Looks like they're just going to ignore the explanation on why the mc enters the game world. Although it's probably for the best as it doesn't seem to be the focus of the story.
The fanservice was good. Albedo is hot and looks like a Bleach character.
Jul 8, 2015 9:59 PM

Apr 2014
malki said:
ap1001 said:
Yes, I can, cause I read 8 vols of its source, so I can judge the anime by its cover as much as I like, and it's a god awful power fantasy.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jul 8, 2015 10:11 PM

Oct 2014
ap1001 said:
malki said:
Yes, I can, cause I read 8 vols of its source, so I can judge the anime by its cover as much as I like, and it's a god awful power fantasy.
Did I just read "scientifically proven, perfect objective taste"?
Jul 8, 2015 10:17 PM
Oct 2012
Having read something similar i personally dont expect much from this.
Though i love the soundtrack.
Jul 8, 2015 10:59 PM

Aug 2012
Looks promising. I really like MC's personality :)
Jul 8, 2015 11:47 PM
Jan 2015
Grey-Zone said:
ap1001 said:

Thanks for calling everyone idiots and raising yourself on a podium of superiority ap1001. It took you 8 volumes of reading before you realized you didn't like the story and had to troll/rage on forums. Then you decided to watch the anime of a story you hate so that you can complain about how much more you can hate it now. WTF
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overlord Anime (best thing since sliced bread and my favourite)
I'm a fortunate person since I wake up and enjoy life. I totally recommend it.
Jul 8, 2015 11:49 PM

Oct 2014
Is there a reason why you quoted me instead of him directly?
Jul 9, 2015 12:07 AM

May 2015
xcess090 said:
That was a lot worse than I expected! But it's only the first episode so hopefully it'll get better.

Don't build up your expectations just because it's being adapted by madhouse. If you wouldn't expect it to be a masterpiece just from the first episode, then you'd enjoy it more. Madhouse is not god, so don't expect every show from them to be amazing from only one episode.

Jul 9, 2015 12:12 AM
Jan 2015
Grey-Zone said:

Yeah. Your comment is really funny and reminds me of my work.

Jul 9, 2015 12:49 AM

Oct 2014
Scholek said:
Grey-Zone said:

Yeah. Your comment is really funny and reminds me of my work.

Ah, OK. I thought you might have missed the sarcasm but doesn't seem so, never mind then.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

240 by Gooliver »»
May 5, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

432 by RayousSR »»
Apr 24, 4:55 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

283 by RayousSR »»
Apr 23, 12:28 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

» Why is shalltear stronger than Ainz??

SkyVongolaPrimo - Oct 20, 2015

16 by janreycampo »»
Mar 27, 10:22 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.