Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 17, 2015 2:17 PM

Jun 2010
Shout out to H-man for planning to Tank it again.

As awesome as him taking L's is, he really needs to stop doing that cuz it keeps on breaking his Harem's/Friends? hearts.

can't wait for the next episode.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Apr 17, 2015 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode. I really liked all the tension this episode. So many awkward scenes that played out realistically.
Apr 17, 2015 3:24 PM

Mar 2012
I don't like the new opening visual, really prefer the first one 10x more.

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Apr 17, 2015 3:53 PM
Apr 2013
zeroyuki92 said:
worldeditor11 said:
To be fair, I don't mind the overall episode itself but I actually hope they at least flesh out the significance of Haruno as a character. Hachiman as well along with his old crush but hey, I think the latter will be redeem later hopefully.

The interpretation was wrong from the beginning anyway and I can't be bothered to correct them when they relate Hachiman as Batman. Or a hero of some sort. The worst being they think Hachiman is an accurate representation of them in real life. Right.

Yeah, hard to prevent some people to self insert themselves to Hachiman when most of the time they are very different (except probably the anti-social part) and the series actually isn't going to glorify Hachiman's self depreciating methods (or so I think where they will bring the series to). I hope they will change their mind as the series develops though, since some characters (especially Yukinon who rarely spoke what she actually thought) are very vulrenable from being misinterpret as far as I can see...

I don't know. I feel the anime is moving too quickly for the sake of plot progression, leaving most of the characters personalities and traits up to viewers' guess. When people hate Yukino for acting who she is, it truly baffles me. Or maybe that's due to the anime's fault for not being clear with her character.

HitoriTomoyo said:
On the topic of Kyakka, given everyone's perception of Yukinon/Hachiman/the situation as a whole, I want to give a signal boost to Kyakka's rant at the bottom of this review:

https://kyakka.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/oregairu-zoku-episode-2-pics-and-stuff-later/

I feel that Kyakka nails a lot of important points and the inclusion of parallels between the Anime and the Light Novels does help out a lot with better understanding the context that the Anime adaptation isn't capable of entirely exploring given time constraints.

I will at least think twice before recommend that site. Yes, it does explain a lot of things that seems off in the anime but the proper explanation is only possible due to his knowledge regarding the LN. And there are spoilers too albeit not obvious to anime only fans.
Apr 17, 2015 5:06 PM

Nov 2013
yukino is gonna run for the president to make hachiman feel her pain probably.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 17, 2015 5:12 PM
Dec 2014
where can I read the LN?
Apr 17, 2015 5:15 PM

Jan 2014
AnimeJunky said:
The way Hikigaya is being treated is pissing me off. If people can't accept you for who you are then fuck'em. Don't need anyone like that in life.

they're not asking him to change entirely

they just want him to stop these committing social suicide acts. just like any other person would want for their friends
[right]
Apr 17, 2015 5:22 PM

Jan 2015
Comparing Yukino to Senjougahara is an insult to Senjougahara. Senjougahara has charm, wit and hilarious comebacks.

Yukino is just a really cold bitch who has issues. Senjougahara is a better version of Yukino in every way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2015 5:24 PM

Sep 2013
Woah, the OP sequence changed. Not the song, just the animations.
Apr 17, 2015 5:35 PM

Apr 2014
To much drama for me this ep, I just wanna see them go out and do stuff,
---------My Profile------------
Apr 17, 2015 5:36 PM

Aug 2014
Raven-kun said:
I don't like the new opening visual, really prefer the first one 10x more.

Hmm. It might be just for the ep?
Some of the visuals were from the direct ep if I recall correctly.

Xway101 ~By me~
Apr 17, 2015 5:37 PM

Sep 2013
hachiman :(((

Apr 17, 2015 6:07 PM
Nov 2013
The tension is really building. I can't even imagine when all hell breaks lose when the club finally confronts such other
Apr 17, 2015 6:11 PM

Feb 2010
Too much sparks this episode, bad sparks lol
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Apr 17, 2015 6:18 PM

May 2013
Such a tense episode.
Glad to see Haruno again though. (^_^) I feel sorry for Hachiman since his old crush treated him like trash.
But hey, seems like Iroha's willing to depend on him.
I just wish Hachiman and Yukino would make up.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Apr 17, 2015 6:20 PM

Jul 2014
Loving this OP. Replay spam

Apr 17, 2015 6:22 PM

Jan 2011
So glad they changed the OP while the first version was more colorful didn't like how it was using scenes from first episodes

episode was rough was expecting someone to snap at some point! amazed hachiman was able to get by the cafe scene without breaking even with Haruno adding fuel to the fire,what was her game there just some simple entertainment?.
Apr 17, 2015 6:46 PM

Jun 2007
My eyes were rolling into my head as I was cringing during the clubroom scenes. Not a pretty sight, I wager. STOP PLAYING MELODRAMATIC PIANO OVER NOTHING!... STOP IT!........... NO! Just no.

Yukino has fully transitioned from intelligent-stoic to stupid bitch. I preferred intelligent-stoic. She was funny. She's trying to whitewash a smarter character than her, just because he thinks outside the box and she's jealous. Or so it's coming across like. I mean, this new girl even went to ask Hachiman for help, after seeing how useless Yukino is.

Hachiman is such a great character because he's willing to get his hands dirty. That's his charm and what makes him unique/BATMAN. If Yukino had half a brain left, she'd offer to be student council president herself to solve the problem (she probably will, but still...).

And I still don't see why ALL OF A SUDDEN everyone is DRAMA MODE over Hachiman hurting himself - or whatever - when he didn't hurt himself or others this time. I knew it would go this way after the last episode but it still makes little sense to me and makes my anus clench over high school girl melodrama. He confessed to a girl without being serious: WHO CARES (not me, FYI). Jesus... if everyone was going to start crying/being a bitch anyway, do it straight after S1's events. If only for my sanity.

What saved this episode was the cafe scene. Uplifting music started playing and the interaction between Y-Sis and Hachiman reminded me of S1. The drama was also more subdued with the new bitch girl and kinda interesting in terms of Hachiman's character. But - especially after reading comments in the ep2 thread about how that blonde girl from S1 made sense about the fujoshi in the LN, compared to in the anime where she remained a ??? bitch - I can't shake the feeling the anime iszooming over the important bits for DRAMA.
Apr 17, 2015 7:26 PM

Dec 2014
lindsayzzz said:
You know shit is getting serious when Yui doesn't utter a single 'yahallo' in this episode, Saika doesn't make Hachiman blush and Komachi gets pissed. ;~; Seriously though, the conflict between Yukino and Hachiman's ideals and methods are way too intense. Hachiman's middle school crush, Kaori Orimoto, appeared at the bakery restaurant and basically embarrasses him. I've always wondered who he liked and what ever happened. Haruno is a pretty fun character, she sure does have an interest in Hachiman. xD Looks like Hachiman will still find a way to help out Iroha. Pretty good episode overall. I love the new opening visuals though, especially the snowy bits. It seems like something serious is gonna go on between Yui and Yukino.
5/5

It was easy to miss because everything is falling apart in the club, but Yuigahama said "Yahallo" after seeing Isshiki Iroha. :)

Did everyone miss, including Shizuka that she just "declared" that 8man won the contest?
She did say based on overall results...
Apr 17, 2015 8:01 PM
Mar 2015
Ive seen many rom/coms and this is by far my favorite. Ive never seen such a well constructed world. All of the characters have depth and feel like real people. My only complaint is I have to wait another week :3
Apr 17, 2015 8:07 PM

Jan 2014
Other nice episode. Awaiting the next.
Apr 17, 2015 8:07 PM

Apr 2014
Really disliking the drama at this point.
Apr 17, 2015 9:00 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Poor Hachiman just can't get a break anymore since everyone (Primarily Yukino) is pretty much getting at him now....The scene with Haruno made me cringe...That Kaori girl rubbed me off in the wrong way too...I really don't like seeing my OTP be in this condition and seeing Yui be sad makes me sad too TwT

The tension for the second season has been so freaking high that I dunno if I can handle it xD Overall it was a great episode, so far I like the new girl Iroha so I hope that we'll see more of her. The new visuals for the OP was nice yoo
Apr 17, 2015 9:04 PM
Apr 2013
Great episode.

For all of those who are agreeing FOR Hachiman methods, you know nothing of morals. Yukino is right, his methods are wrong, he's lying and being insincere which is also lying. Lying is wrong. Enough said. You can "disagree" if you want, but it's not a matter of your opinion or even mine for that matter. It's a matter of fact. Lying is wrong therefore he and his methods are. The reason why Yukino is having difficulty saying that is because to do so would require her to either acknowledge or establish some kind of standard(s) that have enough authority over him that he would actually obey them. The basis of which (or the glue to make it hold) will undoubtedly be the feeling she and everyone else who cares for him has, but were a long way from that. Hence why the professor (can't think of her name) said he would do well to consider the feeling of those around him.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 17, 2015 9:38 PM

Sep 2012
welp, just the start... irohasu, your turn :v
Apr 17, 2015 10:00 PM

Oct 2011
OMG the club is falling apart NOOOOOOOOOOOO

So this was the person who was 8man's "friend" in middle school GRRRRRRRRR
Apr 17, 2015 10:09 PM

Jan 2014
AnimeFan500 said:
OMG the club is falling apart NOOOOOOOOOOOO

So this was the person who was 8man's "friend" in middle school GRRRRRRRRR

are you talking about the girl with her friend who he happen to run accidentally in the shop? nope she was 8man's supposed to be crush back then and middle school... and correct me if I'm wrong, I think nobody treated him as a friend back then in middle school... and the fact that this girl can be so blunt and insensitive makes me wanna bitch-slap her arrogant ass...
Got something to live for, I know that I won't surrender,
A warrior of youth,
I'm taking over, a shot to the new world order
I Am Bulletproof. . .

Apr 17, 2015 10:12 PM
Apr 2015
Poor hachiman,yukino is asking for a bitch slap since the first season,but now is worse for me see this anime because yukino unlike the first season is now a ugly bitch what not even provide zettai ryouiki fanservice.
Apr 17, 2015 10:24 PM

Mar 2014
Yo -
What IS wrong with Yukino? Why is she being so antagonistic in this episode?
It's raining. You're lost in space and the earth is your home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkrLmeeCrhY
Apr 17, 2015 10:27 PM
Nov 2014
I'm seeing a lot of hate for Yukino, the visuals, the lack of monologues, the transitions, and that more people want to see Hachiman as batman. I think that's missing the point, by a long shot.

For Yukino especially, it needs to be noted that the anime is framed from Hachiman's perspective. Everything that is presented to the audience is intentionally saturated with bias. It seems like people are terrible, and oftentimes women especially, because it is portrayed from his life view, and his own gender bias. Yukino has her own reasons for thinking things; it's not as simple as blaming other people, which is precisely the narrow worldview that Hachiman's falls under.

The visuals have been substantial in expanding the breadth of expressions, and thus the overall drama and atmosphere, in the show. Like how when a good actor like Heath Ledger plays the Joker, he does subtle things that enhance the work, so too do the visuals in this anime. The previous art style was too flat, black and white, which notably has it's own merits. It certainly suited the first season to some extent, but I can't imagine a better style for the current.

To those complaining about lack of monologues, either citing the first season or the light novels, I feel that they underestimate the discrepancies between anime and writing. As different artistic mediums, there are some things that are better done in anime than they are in writing and vice versa (ex. monologues and battle). The idea of a full frontal face cam while Hachiman narrates half the episode is under-utilizing the medium. Instead, studio feel has a competent director who utilizes expression, framing, subtle posture and breath pacing, etc. They are fulling utilizing the medium of animation to elevate the source material, rather than simply adapt it inoffensively.

As for the transitions, I personally felt they were on point. A common complaint is that they were rushed; it tends to be that viewers of an art who get invested in a work require faster transitions. However, when they are not, the transition can often feel awkward.

Hachiman as Batman, the hero the city deserves, may seem 'cool', but it's not really a venture that should be pursued continuously. The author understand that, and he deliberately varies the light he paints over it. He competently draws tension and thematic development from the idea of a prejudiced, yet self-sacrificing, kind at heart guy.

It seems oddly discouraging that anime tends to be so explicit with its themes, with characters narrating them (Shriou) or stating their thoughts out loud for the audience to hear, but when a show comes around that has so much to say through its production, a heavy chunk of the audience doesn't listen.
Apr 17, 2015 10:47 PM
Apr 2015
il_fait_pleut said:
Yo -
What IS wrong with Yukino? Why is she being so antagonistic in this episode?

because she is in love with our mc but is so tsundere to confess his love,so the only think what they can make is trying to discuss with him to get his attention.
Apr 17, 2015 11:18 PM

Nov 2012
New OP animation,foreshadowing something serious is gonna go on between Yui and Yukino.

A whole lot of awkwardness and tension between Hachiman and Yukino this episode.

Liked how Yukino was trying to find excuses to prevent Hachiman from using his normal methods of doing things it was cute,thought slightly annoying to some degree.

Orimoto is a bitch.

And something seemed off about Iroha after the ED with that conversation between her and Hachiman [spoiler]guessing she's faking her personality/has a facade.
Apr 17, 2015 11:45 PM

Sep 2013
I'm starting to ship Yui + Hachi.
Apr 18, 2015 12:28 AM

Feb 2013
WAIT ANOTHER WEEK?
Where the fuk am i supposed to put all these feels till then?
The face Yui gave to 8man when he was sharing his plan...
Oh god
And Yukino getting all fired up to counter 8mans proposal was wowzers
Apr 18, 2015 1:16 AM

Jul 2014
Talk about upping the drama here. It's not an especially surprising conflict, given that the signs have been there for the last couple of episodes, but it was still interesting to see it play out regardless.

I'm not especially keen on the new girl yet, though I'm sure there's more to her than what we've seen so far (as is usually the case with this show).
Apr 18, 2015 1:27 AM
Nov 2013
I find myself agreeing with others in saying thar Yukino's hate is not justified.

Allow me to start by saying that Hachiman is one of my all time favourite rom-com MC's, but referring to him as 'Batman' doesn't reflect his character and obviously he himself would probably cringe at the reference. Firstly, we can see that whilst hr puts forward and image of coldness and deadness, he truly is a nice guy on the inside and selfless. But here's the issue, he's too selfless, too unconfident in himself.

Because of his severely low self-esteem, he's willing to heap blame, mockery and anger upon himself in order to solve situations and conflicts between friends. OK, this is good, it once again shows he selfless. However, this is where the issue of him being too selfless comes in. He still doesn't believe that there are people who ACTUALLY care about him due to his loneliness. Yukino, Yui, his sister, Totsuka, Hayama (to a degree) and even the 8th grade syndrome guy ( can't actually remember his name).

In this episode we see once again how far Hachiman is willing to go in order to solve problems. Once again, fine, but what does he get out of it? Which is one of the reasons why Yukino was so mad. The service club have never truly considered the Hayama group (as I refer to them now) as friends and the sentiment isn't shared. The blond one called him a creep, Yukino clearly has some form of history with Hayama, and the rest just seem like typical jocks, the kind that he hates, so why? Why throw away your reputation and open yourself for mockery for a group who's friendship clearly isn't strong enough if they could disperse from one minor disruption? Why for a group who don't even care about you? Yukino didn't want to see that and neither did Yui.

The problem also lies within him lying. He even admits that the biggest liar is himself. Whilst Yukino and Hachiman appear as opposites, they actually shared the hatred of superficiality of social groups, so to her this feels like a great betrayal.
Apr 18, 2015 2:17 AM
Jun 2014
Compared to seasons 1 and 2. Doesn't it look like Yukino is a completely different character? I made season 1 Yukino my Waifu, but I just can't do it for season 2 Yukino.
Apr 18, 2015 2:53 AM

Jan 2013
Hachiman is feeling terrible.
He gets irritated when Komachi makes a right guess at what happened.
He greets Totsuka normally instead of drooling all over him like usual.
He's hesitant to return to the club room and face Yui and Yukino again.
Even his flashbacks to not-being-popular in the past aren't comical anymore. Instead, they're full of sadness now.

Hachiman is suffering. His peaceful life is about to crumble and he only has himself to blame for it. He can see the flaws of his methods by now, yet he refuses to change them. After all, logically speaking, they are the best. But they are by no means perfect miracle solutions. His own well-being is the price he has to pay for them, which in turn makes the people close to him suffer. And they won't sit on the sidelines and just watch his suicidal actions forever.

Yukino is already on the move. She's really trying to stop Hachiman from hurting himself again. Everyone (the characters) can tell she's getting desperate. She has probably realized this by now: If she doesn't want Hachiman to self-destruct once again, she has to solve the problem before he steps up. Neither his own suffering nor Yukino's "this is wrong" or Yui's "please stop" will have any effect on him. He's dead-set on carrying on like usual.

But the world won't give Hachiman a break just because he needs one. He has even more stuff to deal with now, because...

Yukinoshita Haruno 'casually' enters the scene once again. Yes, THAT Yukinoshita Haruno. She's a scary woman that even Hachiman is wary of and she's still dead-set on pairing him up with Yukino. As always. Haruno wants to know how her sister's doing. We get some more info on the relationship of the Yukinoshita sisters. Yukino doesn't want to deal with Haruno, but she still looks up to her. What Haruno doesn't like about the situation is that Yukino isn't trying to step out of her onee-san's shadow. There was a subtle hint on this: Haruno mentioned that she's never been student council president. If Yukino wanted to surpass her, she would try to run for student council president herself. But she's not doing that. "How boring."

Haruno now shifts her interest back to Hachiman, trying to get more info on him. And she hits the jackpot by meeting his middle school crush. Haruno immediately goes on to demonstrate her power: She effortlessly summons Hayama, the hottest guy in her former school.
What is this woman sceming this time, you ask? Here's my guess:
She will thoroughly crush the girl who rejected Hachiman in middle school, just in case he has any lingering attachement left. She will probably use Hayama for that purpose. Maybe she'll demonstrate that normal girls aren't suited for Hachiman. And she won't stop until Hachiman and Yukino are an item.
Apr 18, 2015 3:12 AM

May 2010
HazukashiiSensei said:
Haruno best grill

i agree, lets sail the ship..!
Apr 18, 2015 3:25 AM

Oct 2013
Decent episode. They're really going to focus more on later important parts...not that I'm complaining.
Apr 18, 2015 4:05 AM
Apr 2015
tankeanchun said:
where can I read the LN?

nano-desu, kyakka, baka-tsuki

Apr 18, 2015 4:10 AM

Jan 2011
Can somebody tell me why this season is done by a different studio?
I still like it but somehow it feels a little off for me.
Apr 18, 2015 4:36 AM
Apr 2015
Mikeeozua said:

In this episode we see once again how far Hachiman is willing to go in order to solve problems. Once again, fine, but what does he get out of it? Which is one of the reasons why Yukino was so mad. The service club have never truly considered the Hayama group (as I refer to them now) as friends and the sentiment isn't shared. The blond one called him a creep, Yukino clearly has some form of history with Hayama, and the rest just seem like typical jocks, the kind that he hates, so why? Why throw away your reputation and open yourself for mockery for a group who's friendship clearly isn't strong enough if they could disperse from one minor disruption? Why for a group who don't even care about you? Yukino didn't want to see that and neither did Yui.

This is pretty much on point i think. In addition, Yuki is probably as mad with herself and frustrated bec she knows saying I don't like your methods is not enough. She needs to provide an alternative to 8man's methods which she doesn't have at the moment.

Also for the Yuki hate, would you rather have her be like the Hayama group and tell 8man, "Everything is awesome"? To sweep everything under the rug for the sake of keeping the atmosphere?
Apr 18, 2015 5:27 AM

May 2013
Damn it, I can feel the tension building up even more.
Apr 18, 2015 5:33 AM

Aug 2013
crockmez said:

Because Brains Base doesn't know how to count to 2
Apr 18, 2015 5:44 AM
Apr 2014
crockmez said:

Brains Base DOES NOT DO Second seasons except for Natsume Yuujinchou
So they handed the adaptation to Studio Feel with a staff change
It was the same case with Durarara though it did keep it's original artstyle I believe.

Thank god they handed it to another studio, the artstyle looks so much better now, there are derpy shots here and there even when it's not an inbetween frame but can ya do.
Apr 18, 2015 5:47 AM

Sep 2013
AironicallyHuman said:

And I still don't see why ALL OF A SUDDEN everyone is DRAMA MODE over Hachiman hurting himself - or whatever - when he didn't hurt himself or others this time. I knew it would go this way after the last episode but it still makes little sense to me and makes my anus clench over high school girl melodrama. He confessed to a girl without being serious: WHO CARES (not me, FYI). Jesus... if everyone was going to start crying/being a bitch anyway, do it straight after S1's events. If only for my sanity.
Hmmm..while I do agree that this whole conflict is being blown out of proportion by this ambience of heavy drama, Yukinoshita's gripe is not with Hikigaya's self sacrifice. Her axe to grind is how Hikki compromised his stuck in stone ideals of brutal honesty and dislike of pretences for Hayama's clique.

Yui's problem is a lot more obvious. She is both disturbed at his compulsive need to put himself on the chopping board (it should be noted that her first encounter with Hikki was with him jumping in front of a damn car to save her dog, so she most certainly has reason to think this tendency will escalate if she were to let it be) and the fact that he confessed to another girl.

Spyro's commentaries may help with making sense of all these if you don't want to bother with reading between the lines
Eylandos said:
Comparing Yukino to Senjougahara is an insult to Senjougahara. Senjougahara has charm, wit and hilarious comebacks.

Yukino is just a really cold bitch who has issues. Senjougahara is a better version of Yukino in every way.
I'll just ignore that no one uttered a word about Senjougahara in this thread and that you are riding the bandwagon of unjustified hate for no apparent reason.

See how much there is to talk about this cold and stupid bitch? Now look at Senjougahara; she's just a crazy yandere who parrots some esoteric japanese anagrams in a shit show with some past trauma thrown in by the author as a half-assed excuse for glorifying her absolutely psychopathic tendencies as some kind of depth.

Absurd generalization, I know. But yours of Yukinoshita's character is even worse.
DeigerApr 18, 2015 6:22 AM
- My creativity is plummeting. -
Apr 18, 2015 6:44 AM
Apr 2014
Deiger1111 said:
AironicallyHuman said:

Hmmm..while I do agree that this whole conflict is being blown out of proportion by this ambience of heavy drama, Yukinoshita's gripe is not with Hikigaya's self sacrifice. Her axe to grind is how Hikki compromised his stuck in stone ideals of brutal honesty and dislike of pretences for Hayama's clique.

Yui's problem is a lot more obvious. She is both disturbed at his compulsive need to put himself on the chopping board (it should be noted that her first encounter with Hikki was with him jumping in front of a damn car to save her dog, so she most certainly has reason to think this tendency will escalate if she were to let it be) and the fact that he confessed to another girl.

Spyro's commentaries may help with making sense of all these if you don't want to bother with reading between the lines

Well that certainly helps understand what's going on so far
Guess that was a good place to start S2 with Yukino and Yui's discovery and dissaproval of 8man's methods.
And he's been doing this since the culture festival in S1 just because he wants to win the" showdown to see who can do the most services"?
Apr 18, 2015 6:54 AM

Sep 2013
Drake1000 said:
Deiger1111 said:

Well that certainly helps understand what's going on so far
Guess that was a good place to start S2 with Yukino and Yui's discovery and dissaproval of 8man's methods.
And he's been doing this since the culture festival in S1 just because he wants to win the" showdown to see who can do the most services"?
Not exactly, that's just the way he does things. Even before the start of the service club, his first instinct on seeing Yui's about to get hit was to jump in front of the car and take the fall himself. I dare say this has been part of his character from before the beginning of the series, though it is upto debate whether this is his natural reaction or a cultivated one.
- My creativity is plummeting. -
Apr 18, 2015 8:50 AM

Jun 2007
Deiger1111 said:

Spyro's commentaries may help with making sense of all these if you don't want to bother with reading between the line

As you touched upon at the start of your post, the biggest problem - for me - is clearly the adaptation. 99% sure I wouldn't have so many issues had I read the source material instead, or had there been a consistent S1-S2 adaptation. Even without reading the LNs (esp going on comments about the book store scene with blonde girl in ep2), it's fairly obvious going from S1 that they've drained scenes of their meaning and cut most of Hachiman's monologues. The studio have also clearly instructed his voice actor to downplay his performance. He's a hollow shell of the character he was before. And although Yukino's alterations aren't so jarring (eyes aside), I've gone from finding her icey intelligence charming to questioning her kuudere personality (where? No-one mellows THAT FAST) and lack of anything smart coming from her mouth. The tone of the show, aided by music, is so heavy on melodrama now - even the scene with the little sister - to the point it's distracting. If the clubroom scenes were presented as they were in S1 when there was tension between Hachiman and Yukino, I'd be fine with it. But here?... it comes across purely as low class drama.

I read through the wall of text (never a good sign when an anime adaptation results in FAQs; especially a romance anime. Evangelion's symbolism was bad enough!)... but there were a lot of words that didn't say a whole lot that I wasn't aware of, in truth. Not like there's anything terribly profound about an anime set in school; Hachiman aside. The superficiality point was something I had overlooked, and it did make me feel like I'd judged Yukino too harshly, too soon perhaps, but the rest was just outlining the obvious.

Yes, Yukino cares for Hachiman. Yes, she's annoyed because she cares about him. That much is clear enough, although it's seemingly not being conveyed very well by the anime--hence essays. But the whole 'Yukino didn't see Hachiman act that way' before argument is an empty one: she had seen him turn the student council against himself before and had clearly heard about him being an outright cunt to that Sagami girl, just so his plan worked. If she TRULY card for him as much as people are overstating, she would have been furious after seeing how how he'd made himself public enemy #1. Not because he broke his superficiality code of honour, or whatever, and hurt nobody. THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING. And others. Probably. The whole ' put on a pedestal' role reversal from S1 is an interesting angle, just not one that translates very well without Yukino's thoughts.

My interpretation of Hachiman was never someone that wouldn't be fake for his methods to work, despite him hating social bullshit: I always viewed him as someone that would do whatever is necessary to resolve a situation, if asked. No more, no less. Making kids hate each other? OK! Mentally breaking a stupid girl? OK! A false confession? OK! Whatever works. There was always going to be a point of no return where Yukino would find fault with an attitude where being hated is fine. But, like Hachiman said at the start, he's never hated himself. He's ultimately doing what he's doing because he wants to. He doesn't want to change--he is who he is. He isn't cutting himself at night, lost in angst; no matter how emo-angsty he looks in S2. So, Yukino's coming across as selfish for wanting to change him so SHE doesn't feel bad watching him.

I don't have a problem with Yui, though the whole crying thing was WAAAY OTT: she's simple-minded and generally just nice. Plus, like you said, subconsciously she's no doubt remembering the whole car-dog incident. And she isn't acting nasty towards Hachiman. It's Yukino's cold shoulder routine that's far more trying. With the complexity her character conveyed in S1, less irksome. In S2 she's just a pretty girl that either smiles or is a bitch, so far. That's how she's coming across to me. *shrug* Again, I'm blaming the adaptation for downplaying her kuudere personality so much.

"bandwagon of unjustified hate for no apparent reason." <-- There are only a few negative posts in this thread. The anime has an average 0.40 higher than its prequel. Not much of a band or a wagon, is it? Don't be one of those people that start going on about haters. Just don't. Whether my and others criticism is valid or not, they are honest opinions. That's all.
AironicallyHumanApr 18, 2015 9:00 AM
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 21, 2015

668 by muimaniac »»
May 14, 8:47 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2015

1002 by venbals »»
Mar 29, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2015

556 by venbals »»
Mar 29, 1:08 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 7, 2015

421 by venbals »»
Mar 16, 9:12 PM

» Help me understand the whole drama ( 1 2 )

GuidSMR - Apr 4, 2023

65 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 26, 8:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.