Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 13, 2017 9:29 AM
May 2011
That suit makes no sense...

what's the point of it without a helmet that does the same thing?
Oct 30, 2017 7:11 PM

Jul 2013
Who would've thought that I learned thermal expansion from Evangelion x)
Dec 11, 2017 10:59 AM
Oct 2017
First episode i actually enjoyed, very tense actually.

still don't like asuka at all, but i could at least tolerate her this episode. the hot spring was kind of funny at the end too..

i know something good has to go down, since this show is so well known.. so i guess i just wait for that!
Jan 21, 2018 1:13 PM

Apr 2015
Trained pilot or not, sending a 14-year-old girl—even one I haven't cared for much up until this point—into molten lava gave me extreme anxiety. Sometimes I wonder if Misato's crazy.

Pen Pen glancing at Shinji's dick at the end like "dafuq?" was pretty funny. "Thermal expansion...how embarrassing."
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 17, 2018 5:19 AM

Mar 2016
If Shinji was braver, he would've said yes to see the thermal expansion on Asuka's breast! OR he'll try to take a peek in the girl's bath like a typical perverted mc. But I guess taking a peek at the girl is not really required because even the sound they're making already cause him to E X P A N D ! ! !

Nice save done by Shinji right there. Absolutely predictable but it's good nevertheless...
Mar 2, 2018 2:54 AM

Sep 2017
This episode was just okay. I hoped Rei to come back in action. But it is Asuka again. *sighs*

We see Misato's scar and some fan service. Also, Shinji experiences some thermal expansion(If you know what I mean LOL). But, this episode was only okay and not great. Let's see next episode.
JeremiahOrangeMar 2, 2018 2:58 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 2, 2018 8:01 AM

Dec 2015
@JeremiahOrange The creator (and director) admitted himself that he had forgotten all about Rei after he was done with her.
Anno said:
The truth is, I have no emotional attachment to Rei at all.

In the midst of making Eva, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten her. Her very existence. For example, in episode seven, I remembered and added one shot with Rei. I had no attachment to her at all. I think that was okay, because in episode eight, she didn't appear. Not even in a single shot.

Episode 6 was too early.

At the end Rei says "I don't know what to do," and Shinji says, "I think you should smile," and Rei smiles. ... Afterwards, when I thought about it, I cursed. In short, if she and Shinji completely "communicated" there, then isn't she over with? At that moment, Rei, for me, was finished.

When she smiled, she was already finished, this character.

July 14
@maiawatchesanime "was that the original fly me to the moon outro back again?" I don't think so: https://evangelion.fandom.com/wiki/Fly_Me_to_the_Moon#Versions

October 21
@curvedtree Unit-1 is beyond anything else. But we don't want to lose such an important part of an important shady Big Plan so soon into the story, do we?
Sorry, you're probably right. (comes with the written week after week method, I guess)
Rei_IIIOct 21, 2020 9:30 AM
Mar 15, 2018 8:19 AM

Feb 2018
It was a nice episode, like the couple of last ones, but nothing special, there hasn't been much exploring of character's emotions since ep 6, and that's the best part of the show, hope it will continue doing that at some point again.
May 26, 2018 1:53 PM

Aug 2017
Asuka's suit is funny.

She is a well written tsundere, not overreacting for everything like most of the modern-day tsunderes.

Rei vs Asuka. Ahhh, i like both.

Misato and the Second Impact? Seems interesting.

4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 25, 2018 9:15 PM

Feb 2017
Under-sea pressure (or under-lava this time) is super scary. And out of nowhere Shinji jumps into the lava pit and saves Asuka. Crazy.
Aug 28, 2018 2:42 PM
May 2018
This episode was a good display of Asuka intelligence skills and Shinji's kindness
Sep 22, 2018 1:21 AM

Jan 2015
"This sort of thing is up Shinji's alley!"

Yep, Shinji has an inflation fetish.
Dec 7, 2018 1:38 PM

Aug 2016
I was really afraid at start that they will do school trip episode even though those kids are litteraly only living pilots on Earth who can beat Angels. Glad that didn't happen.

So Asuka is as inteligent as annoying(German engeneering?), she just doesn't know how to read Japanese yet.

Do they keep shinji in girls cloath whole show? Can they just buy him another shirt and trousers?

Extreme enviroment suit which doesnt have closed helmet in case of worst happen. Very useful.

Not sure what to think of fact that Angels "grow" in earth magma. I guess it's better then then randomly showing up from space.

I really don't get that think with Penguin.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2018 7:05 AM

Aug 2013
Nice episode. It had me on edge.

Dec 14, 2018 2:55 AM

Mar 2017
Evangelion can be serious, it can be brutal, it can be awkward, it can be very weird... and it can also be hilarious! These Asuka episodes are really lighthearted and silly, and I love it.
Jan 9, 2019 6:52 PM
Jan 2019
I don't dislike this episode but is easily the worst of them. (And I rank it 3/5)
I like to call this as the "Almost a beach episode"
Nothing really important happens here, the only thing we learn is that the Angels are not aliens or something, they live in earth with the humans.
Jan 29, 2019 2:29 PM

Jan 2015
This anime is so dark that Shinji got an erection.
It wan a meh episode, I am waiting for the moment this anime will get weird as I have heard.
Apr 23, 2019 7:54 AM

May 2016
Asuka's comical coolant suit aside, Unit 02's silent descent down the searing hot magma was a very stressful ordeal for me to watch. Parts falling off as the pressure gets higher the deeper she went down and the sound of the Eva's metallic outsides slowly denting inwards defnitely made me feel very NERVous. The retrieval mission might not have gone as planned with the Angel egg hatching too soon but Shinji's summer homework ended up saving the day along with Shinji himself who came in diving after her just in time to save her from falling into the depths and getting crushed by the pressure.

Sometimes, sound is all it takes to provide a wonderfully vivid mental image and his thermal expansion surely proved it!

May 16, 2019 10:40 AM
Apr 2016
Ah, unfortunate that the mission failed...well, she almost died, Shinji luckily saved her. Hahaha "it expanded." Good episode.
Jun 2, 2019 7:14 PM
Jan 2012
To be honest many aspects of this show are starting to irritate me, but I'll continue because I'm interested in seeing how the whole thing will play out.
Jul 5, 2019 5:56 PM

Jul 2009
Good episode! Despite Asuka always looking down on Shinji. She always the first person to try to get his attention. Shinji even saved her in the last moment.

That swimsuit though! Asuka seems to have a hatred towards Rei. Jealousy much?

Shame they didn't get to catch the Angel, but things change at the last moment.

I wonder how Misato got that scar from Second Impact? Must have been a crazy time.

Oct 5, 2019 8:21 AM

Oct 2012
Yep, still normal episode.. It's all too normal, for now

I like how Asuka starts calling Shinji when Kaji isn't there
I guess she's interested in Shinji too

So how did Shinji's EVA withstand the lava without special equipments?
"Signature removed"
Oct 5, 2019 8:35 AM
Jul 2018
Rayl1ght said:
Yep, still normal episode.. It's all too normal, for now

I like how Asuka starts calling Shinji when Kaji isn't there
I guess she's interested in Shinji too

So how did Shinji's EVA withstand the lava without special equipments?

It wasn't that deep and he used his AT field at maximum output to protect him for the few seconds he was in the lava.

or plot armor works too
Nov 7, 2019 4:19 PM

Sep 2011
So there was a Angel embryo in a place like that? I wonder from where the angels come and how they are born.

Before I started watching this series, I never thought that there would be so much humour, but the jokes are really funny.

Man, they are really ignoring Rei, I can't even remember when was the last time that she did something in the series. A shame, I really liked her in the first episodes.
Apr 4, 2020 8:20 PM

Dec 2019
Holy what a breath taking episode this was... i thought for a moment Asuka was a goner there, thank god Shinji saved her ^^
                                                         🖤   

Apr 7, 2020 8:15 PM

Apr 2016
C'mon it doesn't wear out...

:D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2020 5:41 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Asuka in the fat suit looked so funny "Giant strong entry!"

It's odd the angel embryo looks so human like. I've heard it gets heavy on the religious vibes later on (I guess calling them Angels was a give away) but very interested to see where it goes.
RyzorJun 21, 2020 5:52 PM
Jul 12, 2020 2:44 PM

Feb 2020
now i think about it, i like the directing of this show as well. it has used a lot of interesting angles to film even mundane conversations, and in turn this shows off more of the detailed artistry that has been put into drawing and animating the backgrounds etc. i've always loved the use of silhouettes in film/tv and i've noticed it in this show too, along with the effective use of lighting. these things add so much visually, it makes it a lot more interesting to watch. maia the critic here and out

but that was tense, in the volcano!! and an interesting setting too! the angels are intimidating and intriguing, i wonder what their origin is

ahh was that the original fly me to the moon outro back again? :)
Jul 14, 2020 3:16 PM

Dec 2010
I love how Ano Hideaki dedicated a whole episode on motivating kids to be more diligent in school, lol. On the serious side, Asuka was pretty cool, it's nice to see her backing some of her confidence. Shinji was simply badass.

TsundereRic said:

her jealousy makes her so.. cute xD
I reckon her reaction to Rei wasn't simple jealousy.

Ston3_FreeN7 said:
I think I'm enjoying it even more than the first time I saw it now and I'm not even at the good stuff yet.
So I'm not the only one.
Oct 9, 2020 4:59 AM

Aug 2018
Nice episode, looks like Shinji saves the day once again, the ending tho is just big
Embarrassment for Shinji, good thing none else besides mr penguin saw it
Oct 14, 2020 6:14 AM

Feb 2014
So what was the point on having Unit 02 going in with a special diving gear when Unit 01 could do the same without the gear?

Unit 02 was slowly being descended until she reached the angel and we knew that she was way below the tolerable limit for her Evangelion, somehow Unit 01 is able to reach Unit 02 just in time before she sinks in lava? If Unit 01 could do that, what was even the point on sending Unit 02 with the special gear? Just so Shinji can be portrayed as the hero? Lousy writing if you ask me.
Nov 1, 2020 4:58 AM

Dec 2012
Asuka and kaji.
Dem swimsuits.
Kaji didnt go on a school trip because of Second Impact.
Pen Pen chilling.
They can't go on the trip.
There goes the plane.
Asuka in dat swimsuit.
Asuka graduated college?
Misato.
An Angel.
Gendo.
Asuka is chosen.
lol at the suit.
Its awake!
Asuka killed it.
Shinji saved Asuka.
Pen Pen!
lol at Pen Pen looking at Shinji's D.
Dat expansion.
Misato's scar.
Dat ending.

Asuka wasnt joking when she said her body filled out to Misato.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 1, 2020 4:58 AM

Dec 2012
Asuka and kaji.
Dem swimsuits.
Kaji didnt go on a school trip because of Second Impact.
Pen Pen chilling.
They can't go on the trip.
There goes the plane.
Asuka in dat swimsuit.
Asuka graduated college?
Misato.
An Angel.
Gendo.
Asuka is chosen.
lol at the suit.
Its awake!
Asuka killed it.
Shinji saved Asuka.
Pen Pen!
lol at Pen Pen looking at Shinji's D.
Dat expansion.
Misato's scar.
Dat ending.

Asuka wasnt joking when she said her body filled out to Misato.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 1, 2021 9:37 PM

Aug 2019
Good episode, never expected a lava diving episode to be a thing, but fair enough i was pretty shook through out it. For once i'm also pretty happy with Shinji not being the one with immense amount of pressure from the human race on his shoulders, as he undertakes a mission where if he fucks up, everyone dies. So i guess Asuka can be a good substitute.
But you're also telling me the UN was gonna drop a nuke instantly on ALL of them if they fucked up? Pretty extreme to be honest.

Ok, ngl Shinji jumping into an active volcano with no heat resistance equipment to save Asuka's ass was pretty fucking badass, i'll give him that one, my boy has his moments where he can shine.
They do be leaving Rei out, asides from her operation with Shinji to fight massive death pyramid looking ass, she really hasn't been getting a lot of screen time.
Jan 2, 2021 3:19 PM
Jul 2014
curvedtree said:
So what was the point on having Unit 02 going in with a special diving gear when Unit 01 could do the same without the gear?

Unit 02 was slowly being descended until she reached the angel and we knew that she was way below the tolerable limit for her Evangelion, somehow Unit 01 is able to reach Unit 02 just in time before she sinks in lava? If Unit 01 could do that, what was even the point on sending Unit 02 with the special gear? Just so Shinji can be portrayed as the hero? Lousy writing if you ask me.

It was most likely because Unit 01 is very important for the story later and they want to protect it.
Jan 2, 2021 9:01 PM

Oct 2010
curvedtree said:

This thing in particular irked my need for plot consistency, but hey, all is well that ends well!
Mar 9, 2021 12:17 AM

Jul 2020
Asuka getting saved was expected but I’m just observing character development for the most part. Not too much fan service but enough to keep me satisfied
Mar 24, 2021 12:34 PM

Jun 2020
How did Shinji go into the magma? Did I miss something?
May 6, 2021 8:23 AM

Apr 2021
Tiny man. Baby.

4/5
May 10, 2021 12:01 AM
Jul 2018
Would you believe me if I said I screenshotted this because it's a bombass swimsuit?

I loved the magma scene. Very, very suspenseful and high stakes. The angel was probably a bit weaker than the other ones -- whether it be its unique form/capabilities or because it's technically a newborn -- but the risk/danger factor was probably just as high because of the heat and pressure. Not to mention a lack of weapons, the eva's limited movement, and of course the low visibility. Man Shinji really saved the day.

And when the angel was 'hatching,' that baby noise it made was terrifying.
removed-userMay 10, 2021 1:39 PM
May 16, 2021 2:46 AM

Mar 2017
I'm already tired of this pretentious anime that is nothing more than a bad shounen with underaged fanservice. These last two episodes were a huge let down.

"It expanded" btw. Terrible anime.
Jul 23, 2021 11:21 AM
Nov 2012
pretty fun episode but like some other viewers, the magma scene is a nonsense.
Even if the nerv staff pulled her back to the surface she was likely always around the thousand meters deep, clearly not close to the surface for shinji swimming in the magma naked like it was a cake (even at the surface i doubt the eva can bear hot liquid magma.
either he had plot armor or on the moment he could do a so OP AT field that in the same mental situation he could have done the entire mission without any extra protection.
Jul 24, 2021 10:35 PM
Jul 2021
The Fan Service that is starting to crop up seems to be increasing. A pity. But it's not over the top or anything like other anime, and Shinji is extremely typical of normal kids when confronted with an attractive girl for extended periods of time. "It expanded"

I hate how sidelined Rei is compared to Asuka and Shinji. Shinji had no concievable role in the operation but was still forced to have his EVA out there to just stand and wait? lol. Good thing too, or else there would be no prog knife.

Part of me thinks that the Penguin is a spy for whoever Kaji is working for.
Sep 12, 2021 6:06 PM

May 2019
Honestly I can't understand why everyone in this thread is praising this episode, something about the fanservice and tropey bs really pissed me off here. Of course it's an interesting character study like always, but the pool scene where shinji was staring at asuka's boobs and the whole end part where misato was touching asuka was so annoying. I know this show is old so it's gonna be tropey, but for something that started off trying to be serious it's really annoying to see it go this way.
Also the whole lava scene wasn't tense at all, it was obvious she wasn't gonna get killed off there. I'll say it was interesting to see misato use her like a pawn tho
Nov 7, 2021 1:08 AM

Aug 2020
"It expaned. How embarrassing!". Bruh, that line though.

Any, why the fan service though.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 8, 2021 11:34 PM
Dec 2020
Perfect balance of comedy and drama.

Asuka is best girl, as always.
Nov 24, 2021 9:21 AM
Nov 2020
with this anime maybe you think "I'm watching a normal anime mechas" ... but then you'll want to find answers and you'll have to see it again to understand the things it hides. This anime bursts your head
Dec 15, 2021 10:56 AM

May 2019
Some of the shots in this show are rad. Misato's beer just in front of the camera as Asuka bullies Shinji.

Again, Misato is epic. She is also a great maternal figure for both Asuka and Shinji (something they both need). Also, being operations director she does her best to protect them despite Shinji's dad building his own son his emotional armor and LITERAL armor to battle the world in.
This anime is awesome, I never thought I'd dig anything mecha.

Asuka graduated college? Okay then.
Poor Shinji my dude going through puberty, trying his best to be polite and feeling so awkward. lol.
I can't stand how bratty Asuka is.
Glad they gave her a bit of humility with that suit lol. How DARE she bully Rei, how DARE she. :(

Hrmm the council brought up 'not forgetting what happened 15 years ago' which was the second impact. Did Gendo or the government have something to do with that?

Volcano dive was pretty intense. Right on Shinji for sticking your neck out like that!
Dec 17, 2021 8:30 AM
Apr 2021
shinji more like simpji i still love him tho
Potato's Rock<3
Jan 2, 2022 8:18 AM

Jul 2021
Why does Asuka treat Rei so badly? Apparently she did nothing to receive this form of treatment.
asdasdsadad
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you have any Evangelion merchandise? ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 29

58 by 3looming »»
Jun 2, 9:15 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

266 by goofyahhgoofy »»
Jun 2, 6:21 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

161 by NihilisticMystic »»
May 29, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by katto_al_ameer »»
May 28, 6:48 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

227 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 1:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.