Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 25, 2013 6:51 AM
Nov 2013
This is MAJOR SPOILER so don't read it if you don't want to be spoiled.
Why did Kaiki would help Hitagi because of Kanbaru?

MAJOR SPOILER 2.
Kaiki. A bad or a nice guy?

greatdeathmistNov 25, 2013 9:13 AM
Nov 25, 2013 6:59 AM

Sep 2012
TsukiCrasher said:
This is MAJOR SPOILER so don't read it if you want to be spoiled.

MAJOR SPOILER 2.

I know, I'm trying to abide by the "don't spoil beyond this episode" rule which is why I mentioned the Combo stuff but nothing further... since it was stuff they omitted from what was already shown.
Nov 25, 2013 7:21 AM
Nov 2013
The bathroomin depicted in Koi episode 1 is actually in a department store of Fukuoka Prefecture.
http://i.imgur.com/kzWbLBD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RC96yVA.jpg
Nov 25, 2013 7:21 AM

Aug 2008
TwinImpact said:
I really hated that Hitagi was willing sell her body luckily Kaiki is a good guy
Me too, but this only shows how desperate she is and how far she has come as a character throughout the series. You can feel the hesitation and uneasiness throughout the whole 2nd half of the conversation about payment. Luckily, Kaiki was like, "NOPE" *coffee in the face*
Nov 25, 2013 8:03 AM

Oct 2013
BakaGekai said:
Kaiki was awesome in this episode. Save the best arc for last ...

I'm praying to Nadeko that Shaft decides to animate Tsuki,Koyomi,Owari and Zokouwarimonogataris ^^
I write a Light Novel (Spanish) You can read it here(Blogger)
I also code RPG games in C and Java as a hobby
Nov 25, 2013 8:09 AM

Sep 2012
Io_Otonashi said:
BakaGekai said:

I'm praying to Nadeko that Shaft decides to animate Tsuki,Koyomi,Owari and Zokouwarimonogataris ^^
I believe they have already promised to animate it all and you've got that right!

I love Koi but I can't wait for Tsuki especially; if they want to they can do Tsuki as OVA or ONA instead of waiting for the rest of Final Season to be finished. And/or do it with Koyomimonogatari as a one cour season next year, that would be the best cliffhanger ever. EVER!
Nov 25, 2013 9:36 AM

Mar 2012
Love this episode so much. Nearly lost it when that plane took off.
Nov 25, 2013 3:00 PM

Jan 2013
Io_Otonashi said:
BakaGekai said:

Watch the ED of Koi Ep 1 again, it's pretty obvious Tsukimonogatari will be animated.
Nov 25, 2013 3:03 PM
Jul 2012
Getting interesting now finally.
Nov 25, 2013 3:24 PM

Mar 2010
sonofcasbah said:
Io_Otonashi said:
BakaGekai said:

Watch the ED of Koi Ep 1 again, it's pretty obvious Tsukimonogatari will be animated.

Not really.
I don't want to spoil you but that character which is in your mind per se has her significant appearance in Koi.
Nov 25, 2013 3:54 PM

Oct 2013
hpulley said:
Io_Otonashi said:
BakaGekai said:

I believe they have already promised to animate it all and you've got that right!

I love Koi but I can't wait for Tsuki especially; if they want to they can do Tsuki as OVA or ONA instead of waiting for the rest of Final Season to be finished. And/or do it with Koyomimonogatari as a one cour season next year, that would be the best cliffhanger ever. EVER!

We're going to have Hanamonogatari next year but i hope they consider to animate Tsuki too to see some Ononoki-chan kick ass action!

And this...oh Koyomi you lucky Vampire (?...

I write a Light Novel (Spanish) You can read it here(Blogger)
I also code RPG games in C and Java as a hobby
Nov 25, 2013 9:26 PM
Oct 2010
Damn I really liked this episode, more specifically the part where kaiki is convincing himself to take the job. I wonder what his deal with kanbaru is.
Nov 25, 2013 9:37 PM

Dec 2012
skudoops said:
I wonder what his deal with kanbaru is.

He knows Gaen ( he went to the same college along with Oshino meme) who is Kanbaru's aunt. He first appeared when Koyomi left Kanbaru's house and met him. Kaiki was trying to figure if "there's any business he could do", which is referenced to Kanbaru and her hand, but since Koyomi already helped her, he didn't find it interesting or profitable, so he leaves.

I think that is his deal with Kanbaru.
Nov 25, 2013 10:08 PM
Oct 2010
tsudecimo said:
skudoops said:
I wonder what his deal with kanbaru is.

He knows Gaen ( he went to the same college along with Oshino meme) who is Kanbaru's aunt. He first appeared when Koyomi left Kanbaru's house and met him. Kaiki was trying to figure if "there's any business he could do", which is referenced to Kanbaru and her hand, but since Koyomi already helped her, he didn't find it interesting or profitable, so he leaves.

I think that is his deal with Kanbaru.

I remembered all that, but he said "if it's to help Kanbaru, can I save my foes?" What I don't understand is why would he help, since he has no profit to gain (her situation has already been resolved). I assumed it had something to do with Gaen, but I was wondering what exactly that is.
Nov 25, 2013 10:26 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Asking the man who screwed you over earlier for help. That's crazy, but she has no choice.

Nov 25, 2013 10:30 PM

Sep 2012
This episode shows why Kaiki is so popular with monogatari fans. The episode has only 2 characters talking to each other (the waitress spoke so little that she doesn't count) and I think the adaptation was done very well and brought up the unique charm of Kaiki pretty well too (as is the personality of Hitagi but less so).

It is great to see how NisiOisiN thought out almost everything including the link between Kaiki and Kanbaru back in Nise. Although I would say that while Kanbaru may be a factor for him agreeing to help Araragi and Hitagi, it is more like Kaiki trying very hard to find a reason, an excuse, to bend his policy and thus to help them.

And nobody seems to be surprised at how Hitagi, who lives in a run-down condo, has the money to fly to Okinawa... And Tsubasa, who has to support herself as she has no place in the family, has the means to try to look for Nene overseas....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 25, 2013 10:39 PM

Dec 2012
skudoops said:

I remembered all that, but he said "if it's to help Kanbaru, can I save my foes?" What I don't understand is why would he help, since he has no profit to gain (her situation has already been resolved). I assumed it had something to do with Gaen, but I was wondering what exactly that is.

Oh that was what you meant. Yeah I thought he was going to say ''No da'' to that too. But I think he wants to help Hitagi, he is just trying to make up excuses for that since helping her contradicts or goes against how he normally does his work.

symbv said:

And nobody seems to be surprised at how Hitagi, who lives in a run-down condo, has the money to fly to Okinawa...

I thought her father was rich or is decent when it comes to money, otherwise how could have she afford to pay for all the 5 con artists and Oshino. Hitagi doesn't live in that unfinished condo because she is poor, I can't remember the reason why but I think it was mentioned when Araragi asked her in either Bake or Nise or maybe it was Hanekewa in Neko, my memory is bad..
Nov 25, 2013 10:40 PM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:

I thought her father was rich or is decent when it comes to money, otherwise how could have she afford to pay for all the 5 con artists and Oshino.
But they lost all the money to con artists after that.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 25, 2013 10:44 PM

Dec 2012
Hmmm, but still flying to Okinawa shouldn't be expensive, her father is not out of work or anything. Hanekewa searching for Oshino is questionable though, you are right.
Nov 25, 2013 10:45 PM
Oct 2010
symbv said:
And Tsubasa, who has to support herself as she has no place in the family, has the means to try to look for Nene overseas....

I won't lie, I assumed that Hitagi paid for it. I've assumed that while they aren't rich anymore her father still works his job and gets paid well. So despite them not having a large amount of wealth amassed, they do have a large amount of income.
Nov 25, 2013 10:47 PM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
Hmmm, but still flying to Okinawa shouldn't be expensive, her father is not out of work or anything.
Using low-cost carrier, it is possible to fly from Tokyo to Okinawa under 20k yen but the time was January 1st which is a super-popular time for people to fly (because of the long new year vacation) so I would imagine a much more expensive air fare to fly that day (and on short notice too which is the case with Hitagi).

Nov 25, 2013 11:32 PM

Sep 2012
To be honest, I felt quite thrilled when after a bunch of NO Kaiki finally came up with a YES at the end. I think the way they panned out the whole monologues is very well done.

Nov 25, 2013 11:38 PM

Jun 2010
dat monologue tho
Nov 25, 2013 11:51 PM
Oct 2010
mugi said:
Yes I think that empathized the significance of his decision really well.
But the voice actor is partially to praise for this as well.

I think the series as a whole has impeccable voice acting, I honestly have to commend them for their casting as well as directing here. Every VA fits every character imo and I particularly like Senjougahara's and to a lesser extent Kanbaru's.
Nov 25, 2013 11:53 PM

Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:
Hmmm, but still flying to Okinawa shouldn't be expensive, her father is not out of work or anything. Hanekewa searching for Oshino is questionable though, you are right.

I remember Hanekawa telling Araragi she was planning to travel the world after high school way back in bake. And since it's been 4-5 months since then, she should've been able to sum up a bit of money. Not sure about the wealth of the Tsubasa family, but if they have a 2 story condo it shouldn't be that bad. Since Hanekawa's relations with her parents got better maybe they're supporting her more now. Or since she's number one in her class (not sure how the college system goes in Japan) she might have gotten some type of scholarship overseas and searching for Meme might have been a side job that got brought up recently.
Nov 26, 2013 12:02 AM
Oct 2010
mugi said:
skudoops said:
mugi said:
Yes I think that empathized the significance of his decision really well.
But the voice actor is partially to praise for this as well.

I think the series as a whole has impeccable voice acting, I honestly have to commend them for their casting as well as directing here. Every VA fits every character imo and I particularly like Senjougahara's and to a lesser extent Kanbaru's.

Mhm, and while I don't really care about Mayoi, their presentation of that last scene and her voice acting actually made me cry.

I didn't cry or anything, but I did genuinely feel bad for her. Not to mention the way they concluded that episode with emotions running so high also made it have more impact IMO, I couldn't believe it for a bit after the episode had ended.
Nov 26, 2013 5:10 AM

Jun 2012
I have to admit the only reason I didn't cry was because I had already spoiled myself about her departure... damn Hachikuji! Why YOU??
Nov 26, 2013 5:12 AM

Sep 2012
BillyMK said:
I have to admit the only reason I didn't cry was because I had already spoiled myself of her departure... damn Hachikuji! Why YOU??
Are you sure you posted to the right episode thread? In this episode Hachikuji did not make appearance (only Kaiki and Hitagi did). You might want to post to episode 20 thread instead?

Nov 26, 2013 5:18 AM

Dec 2012
^ I think he is commenting on the topic of conversation between mugi and skudoops in the previous page (''while I don't really care about Mayoi, their presentation of that last scene and her voice acting actually made me cry'')
Nov 26, 2013 5:23 AM

Sep 2012
^ I see. Interesting to see how discussion of that impressive episode spills over to another episode's discussion.

Nov 26, 2013 7:00 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
destructo22 said:
TwinImpact said:
I really hated that Hitagi was willing sell her body luckily Kaiki is a good guy
Me too, but this only shows how desperate she is and how far she has come as a character throughout the series. You can feel the hesitation and uneasiness throughout the whole 2nd half of the conversation about payment. Luckily, Kaiki was like, "NOPE" *coffee in the face*

Kaiki a good guy? Please.

Hitagi shouldn't have said that. No, it doesn't emphasize anything. It only opens the path of Araragi despairing over it if that would really happen. You think he'd like that?

I really didn't like this episode at all. That's a first.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 26, 2013 7:35 AM

Oct 2013
TwinImpact said:

I don't think she tried to make him guilty you know she will do anything for help Koyomi even sell her body? So, I said luckily Kaiki is a good guy if he's not good I think he will accept last offer
Tbh I don't hate Gahara, but just hate what she said

The thing is that Hitagi expected that Kaiki would react like he did to to her "bluff'' more or less. I know that Kaiki appears as someone who doesn't give a shit about anything as long as there is no profit/gain/etc. for him, but he's actually quite the guy who values his morals very highly. On top of that, he's also someone who cares for Hitagi. The fact that Kaiki knew in Nisemonogatari about the car accident and death of that priest, who tried to rape Hitagi, shows that pretty much. I mean, why else would he know about such a "fiddling" and "profitless" information if he really doesn't give a damn about Hitagi's development.

tsudecimo said:

Oh that was what you meant. Yeah I thought he was going to say ''No da'' to that too. But I think he wants to help Hitagi, he is just trying to make up excuses for that since helping her contradicts or goes against how he normally does his work.

I agree. I think that Kaiki was ready to help Koyomi and Hitagi, but he didn't want to admit it since helping his "rivals" for free(!) would contradict how people actually think of him. That's why he looked for a reason where he would also benefit (the safety of Kanbaru). He kind of conned himself in the bathroom.
V0ltgNov 26, 2013 7:44 AM
Nov 26, 2013 7:39 AM

Jul 2010
Brilliant dialogues between Kaiki and Hitagi, the VAs are really to be praised.

Btw, as for Senjougahara willing to sell her body I don't think she really meant it, why would she make Araragi feel bad? Just take it as a dirty joke.
Nov 26, 2013 7:48 AM

Sep 2012
mugi said:
I was commenting on the presentation if this episode and complementing on Kaiki's voice actor. Ended up complementing the voice acting in general.
I see :-)

Anyway given the source material is just a long series of dialogues I think this episode was done exceedingly well. And it is almost every area, from directing, to the visual, to the sound and of course the voice acting.

I even tried to count how often Kaiki's shirt changed color !! LOL
symbvNov 26, 2013 7:52 AM

Nov 26, 2013 7:52 AM

Sep 2012
I am sure Senjougahara meant every single word she said. She is this desperate and she wants to save Araragi so much. If we just take it as a dirty joke, I would say it would be just like paying disrespect to her seriousness in pleading. Of course Senjougahara being Senjougahara it is hard for her to stop being ironic but in this episode she sounded serious way more often than she usually is.

Nov 26, 2013 8:05 AM

Aug 2009
THey have like 4 months of life,if things remain like this.If she and Araragi(thinking about her) arent desperate then there would be a problem with their chars.--mainly what you guys have been saying.

Calling this ep bad,not liking it, because a char is willing to go in such extremes for their soon-to-die-loved one is crazy.

I mean in the last ep of Medusa, Hitagi was willing to be the only "sacrifice" to Nadeko in order to save Araragi, but some "get sick" over this ep?Or calling it a dirty joke?
ssjokgNov 26, 2013 8:10 AM
Nov 26, 2013 8:09 AM

Sep 2012
ssjokg said:
Calling this ep bad,not liking it, because a char is willing to go in such extremes for their soon-to-die-loved one is crazy.
Actually I think the opposite, it is only human for a human to go to extreme to save her soon-to-die loved one even if it means she has to sacrifice everything herself. It may be crazy but it is very human thing too.

Nov 26, 2013 8:12 AM

Aug 2009
symbv said:
ssjokg said:
Actually I think the opposite, it is only human for a human to go to extreme to save her soon-to-die loved one even if it means she has to sacrifice everything herself. It may be crazy but it is very human thing too.
I was talking about a user above, and maybe others too, since I didnt read ALL the pages.
Nov 26, 2013 8:37 AM

Feb 2013
Guys, just chill a little!

Hitagi has made so many commentaries in that direction over the course of the seasons, its become almost something like her trademark theme of conversation. Heck, she even recommended Araragi to choose her making breakfast for him wearing nothing but an apron and watching her from behind while doing so as an appropriate means of her showing him her gratitude :D.

Come to think of it: shes probably just so sexually confused/ socially awkward in a twisted way (probably because of her childhood experiences :/), that she just doesnt know what to say in public and what not to. (Anyways, its definitely not out out of character.) So just take it with a grain of salt, were never gonna find out either way.

Btw: loved the episode!
MrPrinceSanjiNov 26, 2013 8:45 AM
Nov 26, 2013 9:31 AM

Dec 2011
Turns out Kaiki's hard to hate
Nov 26, 2013 12:35 PM
Oct 2010
huuuh said:

He kind of conned himself in the bathroom.

I was thinking that as well haha, he pretty much lived up his reputation about being able to deceive anyone. That includes himself!
Nov 26, 2013 12:37 PM

May 2012
A Senjougahara arc narrated by Kaiki. Couldn't ask for anything better.
Nov 26, 2013 1:48 PM

Mar 2012
Kaiki is hilarious
Nov 26, 2013 8:21 PM

Jun 2013
I hope we see more of Senjougahara this arc. Kaiki's about to begin his moves.

*Goes back to time spent in shangri-laaa*
Nov 26, 2013 9:53 PM

Nov 2009
Being Kaiki is suffering
Nov 26, 2013 11:57 PM

Mar 2013
yeah new arc, no summary episode again XD

Senjougahara like a whore ~_~, I hate girls like this
Nov 27, 2013 2:20 AM

Jun 2010
Oh my god that was epic.

Kaiki, the coolest character after Meme is back!

Finally, a lot of Hitagi screen time <3

Never expected Hitagi to lose her cool in a one on one conversation.

I love it when Kaiki splashed the coffee on Hitagi's face when she said she was even willing to sell her body just to make a money. Good job Kaiki.

Will Kaiki really help them? Koyomi needs to ask Kanbaru to meet Gaen. What if Kanbaru ask Kaiki in return for meeting Gaen to save Koyomi and Hitagi's life? That would be good.
Nov 27, 2013 2:36 AM
Oct 2012
It makes me really happy that there is a show like the monogatari series. I mean, there are entire episodes (like 21) where the characters can just have a conversation and I am so entertained that i don't notice that there was no action...not a lot of shows can pull that off. Also want to say as much as i despise Kaiki I am very interested in how he will deceive a god, I mean he is good...expert con-man and all...but a god? We will see, seems like physically Nadeko would make short work of him, but mentally Nadeko is really weak, and Kaiki just might be able to use that against her to the extent he will find a solution. Keep wearing hawaiin shirts too Kaiki, your more likeable that way
Nov 27, 2013 4:43 AM

Sep 2013
Holy crap that was amazing. Definitely my top anime of the year with Shingeki no Kyojin second. And well, Railgun S wasn't bad either. (Just the second arc kinda left a bad taste... but whatever)

Kaiki suddenly became one of my favourite characters of this series. And Senjougahara is back with a bang. ^^

Really looking forward to the ending, I feel like this arc will be the best arc yet.
Nov 27, 2013 5:58 AM

Jul 2012
Well I wonder how he will deceive the snake goddess.

Great episode!!!
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 3, 2013

409 by animejas »»
Jun 13, 5:52 PM

» Anyone else dislikes Senjougahara after this? ( 1 2 3 )

Romeo - Aug 28, 2014

149 by VectoredPromise »»
Jun 9, 6:35 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

148 by SouthRzVa »»
Jun 5, 7:20 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2013

255 by SouthRzVa »»
Jun 4, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

201 by SouthRzVa »»
Jun 1, 6:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.