Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 8, 2013 5:12 PM

Dec 2009
20-21 year old Mayoi Hachikuji was so cute!
And I love their relationship, as well as Koyomi x Shinobu, they've been through so much.
Sep 8, 2013 6:22 PM

Apr 2012
Okay this episode was cool and all but DID YOU ALL MISS THE MADOKA MAGICA MOVIE 3 CM AT THE END OF THE EPISODE

http://puu.sh/4mGVN.jpg
Sep 8, 2013 7:36 PM

Jan 2011
Holy crap, adult Mayoi is so sexy!! xD I totally didn't expect to see an older version of Mayoi at all. Never even thought about what she would like as an adult. Major surprise and a pleasant one at that. :) She even helped out Koyomi and Shinobu. Oshino Meme is truly a genius, seriously! Shinobu's scream was really cute and lured adult Shinobu to come out. Adult Shinobu's laughs were very creepy. It looks like Route X's Shinobu ended up falling in love with Koyomi - "pat my head" :3 Koyomi reunites with Mayoi from 'his' present. So Mayoi never wanted to be saved at all. Great arc overall, it really surprised me. Loved the Koyomi and Shinobu moments. Adult Mayoi and adult Shinobu. <3
5/5
Sep 9, 2013 12:23 AM

Aug 2012
perfection.

Hitagi and Koyomi were always meant to be together, even in the alternate universe (before he get killed though)

the OST was really great, especially the one that played during the scene where Koyomi and Shinobu were walking together after leaving the hot, sexy, adult version of Mayoi.

alternate universe version of KissShot was awesome too. dat pat on the head. KIZUMONOGATARI PLZ!!!!

also,

MADOKA <33333

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Sep 9, 2013 1:02 AM

Oct 2011
I really wished Araragi hugged adult Shibobu... bleh. I'm liking this a lot more than Nisemonogatari :D
Sep 9, 2013 3:55 AM

Aug 2008
riku_zero said:
cifang said:
Does Shinobu in the original timeline sneak into Araragi's shadow when he's out looking for her when Mayoi tells him she's missing? Because even if Mayoi didn't tell him she was missing, he would have gone to Oshino to help Hanekawa and found out Shinobu wasn't there and would have gone to look for her with Black Hanekawa. This time Shinobu wasn't in his shadow? This is what I got out of it, because it seems to me in both routes he would have realized Shinobu was already missing and he wouldn't have any reason not to say "Save me, Shinobu."

I'm kinda confused too.. but if I'm gonna guess, it's probably have something to do with the place that araragi search first when he was looking for shinobu..

the reason why araragi went to mister donuts is because hachikuji told him that she saw shinobu there..
shinobu probably sneak up inside araragi's shadow in mister donuts..

if araragi never went there or if he late going there, then shinobu probably never went inside araragi's shadow.. meaning, he's gonna die during the fight with black hanekawa

cifang has the point I'm confused too. If memories serves me right, Koyomi went finding Shinobu with Black Hanekawa until the point where he was getting killed and saved by Shinobu. Doesn't it mean Mayoi had no effect to the whole situation?

But going with Oshino's time travel theory: Koyomi and Shinobu went from Route A's present to Route X's 11 years ago, saved Mayoi, and fast forwarded to Route X's present. So it has nothing to do with Route A. But does it mean saving Mayoi does not have anything to do with apocalypse? Does it mean Route X is just a route that Koyomi couldn't find Shinobu and died regardless of Mayoi being dead or alive? Anyone can clarify?
Sep 9, 2013 4:48 AM

Aug 2009
lindsayzzz said:
Holy crap, adult Mayoi is so sexy!! xD I totally didn't expect to see an older version of Mayoi at all. Never even thought about what she would like as an adult. Major surprise and a pleasant one at that. :) She even helped out Koyomi and Shinobu. Oshino Meme is truly a genius, seriously! Shinobu's scream was really cute and lured adult Shinobu to come out. Adult Shinobu's laughs were very creepy. It looks like Route X's Shinobu ended up falling in love with Koyomi - "pat my head" :3 Koyomi reunites with Mayoi from 'his' present. So Mayoi never wanted to be saved at all. Great arc overall, it really surprised me. Loved the Koyomi and Shinobu moments. Adult Mayoi and adult Shinobu. <3
5/5

No this isnt about love.Araragi has been patting her head,caressing her hair ever since Nise.And wanted to in Neko Kuro.Just wait for Kizu.
Sep 9, 2013 5:41 AM

Mar 2010
KaitoDash said:

But going with Oshino's time travel theory: Koyomi and Shinobu went from Route A's present to Route X's 11 years ago, saved Mayoi, and fast forwarded to Route X's present. So it has nothing to do with Route A. But does it mean saving Mayoi does not have anything to do with apocalypse? Does it mean Route X is just a route that Koyomi couldn't find Shinobu and died regardless of Mayoi being dead or alive? Anyone can clarify?

How about you consider it this way; If he didn't met Hachikuji in episode 3-5 of Bakemonogatari, the chances for him to bumped to Hachikuji before he met Black Hanekawa is relatively zero.
Araragi and Shinobu are bounded to each other by mind and heart, they can feel each other thoughts, feelings and possibly pain. By meeting Mayoi and asking her of Shinobu's whereabout, Shinobu must have realized that Araragi truly cared for her well being and so, she would not commit suicide. Hachikuji has a pretty big impact on these situation actually. You just need to understand how the whole thing work, only.
Sep 9, 2013 12:54 PM

Sep 2012
I actually shed tears in this episode, so great is this episode. I just love how the bonding and deep love between Araragi and Shinobu was depicted. The way that the grown-up Shinobu could commit suicide (at least trying to) and then really died (in this alternative world line at least) for the sake of Araragi is deeply moving. And then the tears of blood.... and Araragi's patting Shinobu's head while she died... Tears did not flow when I read the novel, but here my tears just flew... Such is the impact of seeing the text given voice and animation...

This weekend is such a great weekend as I shed tears FIVE times in one day, watching Uchouten, Railgun, Monogatari, Symphogear and Fate/kaleid Illya. I have never recalled such a day before...

Also I have to mention the extra plus of seeing 21-year old Hachikuji wearing military outfit (and so busty!) and then loli Hachikuji reverse sexual harassing Araragi is just pure gold. LOL
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 9, 2013 3:08 PM

Aug 2013
KaitoDash said:
cifang has the point I'm confused too. If memories serves me right, Koyomi went finding Shinobu with Black Hanekawa until the point where he was getting killed and saved by Shinobu. Doesn't it mean Mayoi had no effect to the whole situation?

route X's is the route where route A araragi and shinobu saved hachikuji..
I'm sorry but you can't dismiss the fact that "route A araragi and shinobu saved hachikuji in route X".. the reason why route X exist is because of that..

and yes, hachikuji being dead or alive does have a pretty big impact on the apocalypse
Sep 9, 2013 6:44 PM

Jun 2008
WOW!

Back to the future rules, grown up Mayoi, and Kiss Shot!

Brilliant episode, and the feels really came out when Kiss Shot told Araragi to pet her head.

Goddammit that was so heartbreaking!

10/10 for this arc!

So far this anime is a shoe in for 10/10, it really is as good if not BETTER than Bakemonogatari so far.

I have ZERO complaints so far, and I think right now this is my favorite anime this year.

For me it's as follows:

Bake>Monogatari S2>>>Neko>>>>>>Nise
--ALEX--Sep 9, 2013 6:47 PM
Sep 9, 2013 8:35 PM

Mar 2012
This arc was soooooo good. God damn.

Also, holy lol at "the contents of your brain what's parallel."
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 9, 2013 9:14 PM

Jun 2013
So is Oni likely to still be shown next? Or are we gonna have to sit through either another recap/Otori first? :?
Sep 9, 2013 9:16 PM
Sep 2013
KaitoDash said:
riku_zero said:
cifang said:
Does Shinobu in the original timeline sneak into Araragi's shadow when he's out looking for her when Mayoi tells him she's missing? Because even if Mayoi didn't tell him she was missing, he would have gone to Oshino to help Hanekawa and found out Shinobu wasn't there and would have gone to look for her with Black Hanekawa. This time Shinobu wasn't in his shadow? This is what I got out of it, because it seems to me in both routes he would have realized Shinobu was already missing and he wouldn't have any reason not to say "Save me, Shinobu."

I'm kinda confused too.. but if I'm gonna guess, it's probably have something to do with the place that araragi search first when he was looking for shinobu..

the reason why araragi went to mister donuts is because hachikuji told him that she saw shinobu there..
shinobu probably sneak up inside araragi's shadow in mister donuts..

if araragi never went there or if he late going there, then shinobu probably never went inside araragi's shadow.. meaning, he's gonna die during the fight with black hanekawa

I think they made it clear that it was because of Mayoi that he couldn't 'find' Shinobu. However, what isn't clear is how he 'found' Shinobu. For me, there are two possible explanations with one being that he 'found' her when he asked her for help and another when he searched the donut store and she supposedly snuck into his shadow. Yukaru might have a valid point, but I'm not sure if they can sense each other's feelings unless she is directly in his shadow?
But in order for Koyomi to call out for help, I figured he needed to know that Shinbou was missing first of all. Whether Mayoi was there or not, after the visit to Oshino, he would have realized Shinobu was missing and would have been actively searching for her. So for me, the only event that Mayoi directly affected was the part when he went to the donut shop, as it is the only piece of information that the Mayoi of that time gave Koyomi.

That's the theory anyways.
Sep 9, 2013 9:52 PM

Jul 2008
ihusmal1234 said:

The sudden burst of feels I got from Araragi patting Kisshot on the head was completely unexpected.
Sep 10, 2013 2:38 AM

Jul 2013
Freaking masterpiece, simply love it!
Sep 10, 2013 2:21 PM

Apr 2013
I didn't really get how Oshino knew that Arararagi and Shinobu came from a different dimension. I could re-watch that bit but I can't be asked, so could someone briefly explain it?
Excellent episode nonetheless btw.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Sep 10, 2013 6:02 PM

May 2012
Now this was a good arc! Loved it.

What are they recapping next week?
Sep 10, 2013 11:05 PM

Dec 2012
Loved the grown up Hachikuji, it that was pretty cool. Also the reverse Hachikuji and Araragi interaction was pretty funny.
Sep 11, 2013 6:17 AM

Jul 2012
geralt said:
I didn't really get how Oshino knew that Arararagi and Shinobu came from a different dimension. I could re-watch that bit but I can't be asked, so could someone briefly explain it?

He collected abnormal tales around the town, so he know 11 years ago there's a high school boy and a blond girl has saved a girl named Hachikuji from an traffic accident. According to the description of the female police officer and that 3 high school girls, he guessed they're Araragi and Shinobu from different dimension
Sep 11, 2013 8:34 AM

Aug 2008
yukaru00 said:
How about you consider it this way; If he didn't met Hachikuji in episode 3-5 of Bakemonogatari, the chances for him to bumped to Hachikuji before he met Black Hanekawa is relatively zero.
Araragi and Shinobu are bounded to each other by mind and heart, they can feel each other thoughts, feelings and possibly pain. By meeting Mayoi and asking her of Shinobu's whereabout, Shinobu must have realized that Araragi truly cared for her well being and so, she would not commit suicide. Hachikuji has a pretty big impact on these situation actually. You just need to understand how the whole thing work, only.
riku_zero said:
route X's is the route where route A araragi and shinobu saved hachikuji..
I'm sorry but you can't dismiss the fact that "route A araragi and shinobu saved hachikuji in route X".. the reason why route X exist is because of that..

and yes, hachikuji being dead or alive does have a pretty big impact on the apocalypse
cifang said:
I think they made it clear that it was because of Mayoi that he couldn't 'find' Shinobu. However, what isn't clear is how he 'found' Shinobu. For me, there are two possible explanations with one being that he 'found' her when he asked her for help and another when he searched the donut store and she supposedly snuck into his shadow. Yukaru might have a valid point, but I'm not sure if they can sense each other's feelings unless she is directly in his shadow?
But in order for Koyomi to call out for help, I figured he needed to know that Shinbou was missing first of all. Whether Mayoi was there or not, after the visit to Oshino, he would have realized Shinobu was missing and would have been actively searching for her. So for me, the only event that Mayoi directly affected was the part when he went to the donut shop, as it is the only piece of information that the Mayoi of that time gave Koyomi.

That's the theory anyways.

Thanks guys. From what cifang said above, I came up with one explanation:

In route A, where he met Mayoi, he was told Shinobu lingered around Mr. Donut. He went there where he did not find Shinobu, but Shinobu otherwise saw him finding for her and hid herself in his shadow without him knowing. Ultimately saved his life when she was called.

While in route X, he did not meet Mayoi and thus did not go to Mr. Donut. So Shinobu did not hide herself in his shadow and so he was killed by Black Hanekawa.

Plausible, if I to say so myself.
Sep 11, 2013 8:46 AM

Apr 2013
pikeman1 said:
geralt said:

He collected abnormal tales around the town, so he know 11 years ago there's a high school boy and a blond girl has saved a girl named Hachikuji from an traffic accident. According to the description of the female police officer and that 3 high school girls, he guessed they're Araragi and Shinobu from different dimension

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Sep 12, 2013 10:28 AM

Oct 2012
why did Shinobu and Kiss Shot both cry blood?
Sep 13, 2013 3:34 AM

Oct 2009
symbv said:

Also I have to mention the extra plus of seeing 21-year old Hachikuji wearing military outfit (and so busty!) and then loli Hachikuji reverse sexual harassing Araragi is just pure gold. LOL

True to that, lol.

I was really disappointed that Kizu was delayed, but this episode is enough for now.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 13, 2013 4:36 AM

May 2013
great ep
Sep 13, 2013 12:01 PM

Feb 2008
Wow, that was the best arc so far. I guess anything involving shinobu x araragi is the best for me though.
Sep 13, 2013 6:25 PM

Aug 2013
pikeman1 said:
geralt said:

I'm always on this impression that, that female police officer is actually araragi's mother :p
Sep 14, 2013 5:59 AM

Jun 2013
Are we getting recap again? That's outrageous.
Sep 15, 2013 6:40 AM

Apr 2009
"But Araragi-kun, it's good to save a girl that's right in front of you."

Now we know why he operates the way he does, and who encouraged such ideas.

I was wrong about last episode. It's Mayoi...! She grew up to be a lovely young lady of around 23 years, older than Koyomi himself. My wish for this episode was granted. Oh yes. Dat title drop too. Kabukimonogatari. Also, I finally see Kiss-Shot herself in all her... suicidal glory complete with dialogue, and not in Kizumonogatari which we've all been waiting and are still waiting for...

Great episode, epic arc. It surpassed my expectations by a lot - a real pleasant surprise.
Sep 17, 2013 7:18 AM

Jul 2011
Shinobu is the cuttest little monster ever
Sep 21, 2013 1:31 AM

Dec 2011
Wow. Hachikuji's grown up version... and it was interesting to hear from Oshino that he teamed up with his buddies Kagenui and Kaiki.

This was a pretty cool arc.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2013 5:45 PM

Jul 2013
I know I'm late, but HOLY SHIT. That episode was freakin great.
Grown up Hachikuji, the dual wield swords, the awesome lead up for an epic battle that turned into all the feels. Just awesome.

Also the letter from Oshino was really sick, knowing that he teamed up with his college buddies. I'm only a little disappointed that the little bit about Araragi still getting together with Senjougahara didn't go anywhere, still that's just a minor detail.
"There stood a high school boy, who for selfish reasons had twice beaten an elementary school girl unconscious, and had gotten all nihilistically worked up about it. Actually that's still me."
Oct 6, 2013 8:50 AM

Apr 2012
Very funny seeing Mayoi sexually attacking Araragi! ^_^

Fantastic Arc. Favourite out of all the Monogatari series so far.
Oct 14, 2013 8:20 AM

Dec 2009
Great arc! At first I was a bit disappointed with all that time travelling stuff, but the ending of the arc was fantastic. 10/10 for this episode.
Oct 18, 2013 5:40 PM

Jul 2012
riku_zero said:
pikeman1 said:
geralt said:

I'm always on this impression that, that female police officer is actually araragi's mother :p

I don't think so. How can he not realize his own mother, no matter how young she is? :p
Oct 19, 2013 12:53 PM

Jun 2013
Because he disregards the existence of everyone else besides the main cast?
Oct 19, 2013 1:01 PM

Mar 2010
Grouchio said:
Because he disregards the existence of everyone else besides the main cast?

He remembers Tsunade-san.
So, your point kinda invalid here.
Oct 27, 2013 9:54 PM

Jul 2008
Despite being an arc about Mayoi, she really didn't do much.

I never fully understand what happens during the arcs anymore (I forgot all the plot points from earlier seasons, so the whole Shinobu being lost thing was like new information to me), so I just try to watch it for the entertainment value.
Oct 30, 2013 4:55 PM

Aug 2012
If I continue to watch this series, I wouldn't be surprise in the end that I will be a lolicon. Damn this arc. Too much feels. I want to pat her too..
Nov 3, 2013 11:30 PM

Nov 2012
Wow Hachikuji kinda reminded me of Lara Croft with a huge yet childish backpack! XD

Although I have to admit, that was one bittersweet moment, knowing that Mayoi was alive all this time which proves that Koyomi hasn't at least wasted his effort back then, and yet leaving her alone again after a short reunion.

Oh yeah, Kiss-shot! The head patting was really cute too...and yeah, a bit heart-wrenching (YMMV)

Great episode, not to mention the feels!

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Nov 16, 2013 4:51 AM

Aug 2012
*don't know what to say* that was epic ^^ Monogatari never disappointed me :3
Nov 17, 2013 4:24 PM

Jun 2011
Dayuummm.... that was an awesome arc! Those feels ;_;
Really brilliant, I'm kinda glad I hadn't read all of the novels yet, now I had no idea as to what's to come ;p Really exciting arc, and seeing Kiss-Shot finally animated was awesome ^^ Now I want to see Kizumonogatari even more xD

End with Hachikuji made me lol xD
Dec 5, 2013 3:30 AM

Jun 2008
Great finish to this arc. I have to say this is as good as Bakemonogatari, hell if it had more Senjougahara it would have been better. I was a little disappointed by the ova's and Nisemonogatari since they weren't up to the Bakemonogatari standards but this one certainly delivers until now.
Dec 10, 2013 9:22 AM

Oct 2012
So rice can actually kill vampire-zombie great to know if there is an apocalypse someday. Older Hachikuji is actually really good looking. What an epic letter from Meme. Double dual wielding of epic killing sword pretty nice. So Shinobu is bitting herself and her last want is a pat on the head. Nice ending, good to see all is back to how it should be ( he still haven't did is homework thought XD )
Dec 28, 2013 9:20 AM

Aug 2012
Nice. I'm glad to see that the time travel wasn't just a gimmick, but a means of character development. I got the most out of this arc thus far, and this arc has surpassed or paralleled every arc they have shown thus far.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jan 4, 2014 9:26 PM

Oct 2012
Adult Hachikuji.. My life is complete xD
Wherever Oshino Meme is, he's still a same person afterall

Such a shame we can't see what happen in the route X afterwards
Lol Hachikuji got her revenge "Let me lick you more"

I'm curious for one thing.. About Shinobu's original name (Kiss-shot Acerola-orion Heart-under-blade)
Where did the author find that name? xD

Note : All of this things happened because of Summer Homework!!!!!!
Say no to summer homework xD
Rayl1ghtJan 4, 2014 9:31 PM
"Signature removed"
Jan 16, 2014 3:08 PM

May 2011
Wow... what a great episode. And that scene with Route X's Shinobu gave me so much feels. Aww at them both crying blood and her wanting a pat on her head :(. It was so nice to see Hachikuji and Araragi having their regular interaction at the end as well.

Hottt damnnn at an adult Hachikuji though. Wow she was totally worth saving haha. And Senjougahara was just destined for Araragi, no matter the route!
Jan 18, 2014 1:42 PM

May 2012
Grown up Mayoi O_O I want loli Mayoi back! Either way the concept of time travel seems to stop here and well it did seem quite lovely especially that ending <3

More and more I'm getting the feel that Koyomi is just the younger self of Zetsubou Sensei :p
Jan 19, 2014 5:32 PM

Dec 2009
Good episode, i like the simple ends they have haha.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

206 by GT1Studios »»
Jun 21, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2013

224 by fabiandewa19 »»
Jun 20, 9:09 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2013

221 by GT1Studios »»
Jun 19, 5:13 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Dec 28, 2013

726 by animejas »»
Jun 18, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2013

105 by GT1Studios »»
Jun 18, 4:59 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.