Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2013 1:57 PM
May 2012
this gotta be my favourite anime this season with ro kyu bu, figures, both are about sports ;)
Jul 3, 2013 2:01 PM

Oct 2012
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!
Jul 3, 2013 2:01 PM
Feb 2013
OMG IT'S FINALLY AIRING.
aaaah I love it already.
Jul 3, 2013 2:02 PM

Dec 2007
Gxpopstar said:
FHJSKDLDWSLKJ
I friggin love this series >_<

You have DRRR, K, and Kuroshitsuji listed under your favorite anime.

This was practically tailor-made for you.
Jul 3, 2013 2:05 PM

Sep 2011
Itachi_0893 said:
Really great animation, but I can stand all that gay fanservice, why do they have to undress every minute, whe don't even see that in ecchi anime.

Definetly dropped.

Calm your nips lol, i think many of the viewers here don't know that the director that's directing the anime is a fangirl/fujoshi, just throwing this out there so watch at your own risk.

Veronin said:

Fujoshi are pretty massive in number. Kuroko no Basket and UtaPri were some of the best selling anime in the past few years and they were almost exclusively catered to a female audience. Plus, KyoAni is bound to market Free to death like they do with all their series.

Kuroko no basket is nowhere close to being exclusively catered to the female audience, especially considered the genre, the content, and the magazine, but it is a known fact that the fandom definitely has females and fujoshi fans. UtaPri is exclusively catered to the female audience, that much is obvious.

Hybridbloodszak said:

BAHAHA The UtaPr2000 vol 1 sales would like to speak with you (and that's just the latest example)

Please separate your tastes in anime from facts

That's the result of the event tickets and the popular concert, it seems like the coming volumes are going to drop significantly in sales.
Jul 3, 2013 2:05 PM

May 2012
AWESOME ANIMATION! The guys' bods are very detailed and sexy! This is a must see for anyone who enjoys hawt guys swimming and then you get to experience their every day life in High School as well! I like Haruka already and can't wait to see if his carefree attitude will turn more competitive maybe? I also loved the OSTs and the OP and ED were nice as well ^_^
Jul 3, 2013 2:06 PM

Apr 2012
parfaited said:
reiraaaa said:

I loved it!

10/10
would go clubbing again

if u watch ED again, u can see all ppl in background seems like S&M guys o_o;;
Jul 3, 2013 2:06 PM

Oct 2011
I'm dissapointed :(

ok boys and girls are pretty and sparkling - GOOD
moving pictures are great (maybe except water it felt bit weird) - GOOD
some nice humor moments - GOOD (for most of the time)

but in the end it felt somehow annoying or maybe rushed would be better word - if Rin comeback would happen in next episode and this one would be more about their group... it might have been better IMO
still it might be my expectations towards it
Jul 3, 2013 2:09 PM

Sep 2011
LotusJuice said:

lmfao now that you mention it, they do look like those S&M ugly fat dudes carrying whips and candles, or those executioners with the axes and stuff hahaha. but no, i don't think they are S&M guys...are they?
Jul 3, 2013 2:10 PM

Jul 2011
it was just perfect.
Jul 3, 2013 2:11 PM
Sep 2012
Danielcookie said:
shymel said:
I very much enjoyed this episode. The teacher seems really sweet. I hope she recites a bunch of poetry for my Chihayafuru needs.

I wonder what she originally wanted to become.

A karuta match reader.
/dreams
Jul 3, 2013 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
I really liked the episode, I'm loving the fanservice!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2013 2:15 PM

Jun 2008
They were trying a bit too hard emphasising the shoulders and such, but the animation was beautiful~ And Haruka is unexpectedly funny, almost like a fish (or dolphin, as Nagisa said), but he reminds me of Gray from FT, too XD That's probably why they changed the title to "Free!". But what I liked most was definitely the music!
Jul 3, 2013 2:15 PM

Mar 2011
Warning: the following joke requires you to have seen UN-GO:

I worked it out guys, I FOUND THE SECRET!

Free! is about Shinjirou's life as a child! If any of you have seen Un Go, and have also seen the movie, you might remember that the beginning of the movie explored Shinjirou's past. Do you remember? Well, in that, it says how he used to be part of a swimming club.

MYSTERY SOLVED.

Free is just an UN GO prequel! It makes sense in too many different ways... it's kinda weird how well it works.
Jul 3, 2013 2:16 PM

Jan 2011
Oh my wow that was cool. The OP and ED freaking blew me away. Excellent start Free!
[center]
Jul 3, 2013 2:18 PM

Jan 2012
LotusJuice said:
parfaited said:

I loved it!

10/10
would go clubbing again

Haha comical.

Overall it really isn't as bad as some people are trying to make out, yeah there are many hints of homolust and a lot of man flesh, but hey I'd rather watch this than Naruto (which questionably has as much homolust) 3/5
Jul 3, 2013 2:19 PM

Jul 2012
LOVED IT!!

Too bad this is only 12 episodes T_T
Jul 3, 2013 2:23 PM

Jan 2008
It was glorious. I'm going to enjoy this summer OH SO SO MUCH.
Jul 3, 2013 2:23 PM

Apr 2012
Downgrade355 said:
LotusJuice said:

lmfao now that you mention it, they do look like those S&M ugly fat dudes carrying whips and candles, or those executioners with the axes and stuff hahaha. but no, i don't think they are S&M guys...are they?

that would be completely better for the show. new thrills, new adventures lmao
Jul 3, 2013 2:26 PM

May 2013
So, I watched this simply because it was so hyped up. Not gonna lie, I didn't hate it, but it's not my favourite (although I haven't really watched much to compare it with).
I love Nagisa Hazuki, he's adorable. <3
Jul 3, 2013 2:27 PM
Manga Moderator
🖤🖤🖤

Sep 2012
aksjfha, thank you KyoAni. ^^ This was glorious.
That ending surprised me. I will definitely go and listen to that opening again.

thanks to my lovely Secret Elf Santa
for the forum set~
(*’∀’人)♥
Jul 3, 2013 2:28 PM

Jan 2013
That was the gayest thing I have ever watched. It was awesome.

Glorious/10
Jul 3, 2013 2:29 PM

Jul 2012
This was perfect.

shymel said:
Danielcookie said:
shymel said:
I very much enjoyed this episode. The teacher seems really sweet. I hope she recites a bunch of poetry for my Chihayafuru needs.

I wonder what she originally wanted to become.

A karuta match reader.
/dreams

She actually looks a bit like Kana xD
Jul 3, 2013 2:30 PM

Jul 2010
This was refreshing! Someone pour a bucket of water over me!! (ô 0 ô)/
Suddenly I have a really big urge to go swimming.
Jul 3, 2013 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
InfiniteRufus said:
Warning: the following joke requires you to have seen UN-GO:

I worked it out guys, I FOUND THE SECRET!

Free! is about Shinjirou's life as a child! If any of you have seen Un Go, and have also seen the movie, you might remember that the beginning of the movie explored Shinjirou's past. Do you remember? Well, in that, it says how he used to be part of a swimming club.

MYSTERY SOLVED.

Free is just an UN GO prequel! It makes sense in too many different ways... it's kinda weird how well it works.
mind=blown
:,D
Jul 3, 2013 2:36 PM

Jun 2012
Damn after watching this, I have to say it wasnt that bad. Damn you kyoani.
Jul 3, 2013 2:38 PM

Sep 2011
LotusJuice said:

that would be completely better for the show. new thrills, new adventures lmao

Hahaha you're a creepy fella LOL
srsly tho, i'm not that fond of bishies but i'd rather them walking around with whips torturing people than those fat creepy hairy belly dudes...
BUT WAIT, that doesn't mean i want any of that in the show, don't get any messed up ideas please.
Jul 3, 2013 2:39 PM

Apr 2012
NotMosaic said:
Free! Side Story OVA confirmed.

now, this OVA can sell millions of copies over the world
our motto: pretty boys + horror

anyways, i'm looking forward to megane boy's screen time. it seems he will not appear next week neither. too bad cuz he looks like most normal being in the series.
Jul 3, 2013 2:41 PM

Oct 2012
morshuwarrior said:
Liked it a lot! The ending song is pretty damn good too.

so much swag in the ED.
Jul 3, 2013 2:41 PM

Feb 2011
VioLink said:
Oh my wow that was cool. The OP and ED freaking blew me away. Excellent start Free!
This.
Jul 3, 2013 2:47 PM

Jun 2013
Rei wasn't in this ep! >__<
the ED is so freaking awesome though.
Jul 3, 2013 2:49 PM

Oct 2007
I have to ask in all fairness, why does this show get preferential mod treatment according to the announcement at the start while other series threads get left to whatever fate awaits them be it thread shitting or other?

Unsurprisingly I didn't like this opening episode that much, but we'll see were it goes in the next couple episodes. I'm really not sure I can like this cast much, it almost feels like they are trying a little too hard at making them seem fey and effeminate. I know they kind of have to cause they made there bed and have to sleep in it, but oh well. As long as it actually manages to get some focus on the swimming and the supposed passion the cast has for it this could turn out decent...possibly.
PeacingOutJul 3, 2013 2:56 PM
Jul 3, 2013 2:55 PM

Nov 2007
Oh my I liked this more then I thought I would do.
The opening theme surprised me thought, I was expecting a calm song with a nice melody I didn't expected a pretty pumped up song there (not that anything's wrong with)
The start disappointed me a lil thought, and the story is just a bit hmm.... mysterious xD
Then that ending theme *___* Rin made me laugh so hard, I wonder why he is showed as the bad guy and acts like it... dahm the waiting I wanna know ;___;
Jul 3, 2013 2:55 PM

Aug 2011
What the hell was that woman doing in my homo anime?
Jul 3, 2013 2:57 PM

Jan 2011
Imouto's gonna be a love-interest for one of the boys i'm calling it
Jul 3, 2013 2:57 PM

Apr 2012
I didn't plan on watching this but I got curious. ;o; Doesn't look too bad, I just hope there isn't too much fan service. I'm bothered by the way the characters are drawn (and by how freaking huge Makoto was compared to the cat in the beginning!).

also I thought I heard dubstep? ???
u gay
Jul 3, 2013 3:00 PM

Jun 2008
I only noticed what's on the guys' shirts in the ED a few minutes earlier... (Haruka, you dolphin!) xD

cupcakedreams said:
This was refreshing! Someone pour a bucket of water over me!! (ô 0 ô)/
Suddenly I have a really big urge to go swimming.

Same here~ XD
Jul 3, 2013 3:01 PM

Jul 2012
I was expecting to like this simply because the animation looked gorgeous but all I can say is WOW this went beyond my expectations. The opening and ending are amazing! The animation is also gorgeous. Those water scenes, woooow....I also really love the music in general! I think this series is going to have a great OST which is something I hadn't even thought about when I was thinking what this show would be like.

While it was much more fanservicey than I actually expected it to be, I honestly didn't end up minding. Usually that is a huge pet peeve of mine but I found they did it humorously? Or something like that.

And of course, the characters are all precious. Guys with girly names and a girl with a boyish name was amusing.

I loved it and cannot wait to see more!
Jul 3, 2013 3:02 PM

Apr 2010
I love water. The first episode focused a lot on water and that's what gets me to watch it. It starts well, I'll watch it.
Jul 3, 2013 3:06 PM

Apr 2011
Well it certainly wasn't subtle. I watched it out of pure curiosity(no not that kind :P ), it was what I expected it to be. The animation is great.... That's all I can really say about it. Just not for me. I was hoping it wouldn't be so over the top, but there's nothing wrong with the fact it is.

I have to agree with Kaioshin-sama. Why does this series get special treatment in terms of moderation? I look back at the first page of Aku no Hana episode discussion and there's TONS of gifs of "kill it with fire" and .jpgs of mickey mouse gouging his eyes out, and no actual discussion of the episode. That was left completely alone, and is still there. Not that I care if that's removed, but c'mon mods don't be so obviously biased.
FintanJul 3, 2013 3:17 PM
Jul 3, 2013 3:06 PM

Aug 2011
Dat ending though, I can't stop replaying it. Harukaxwater calling it now
Jul 3, 2013 3:07 PM

Feb 2010
StrawHat_ said:

I know right? She's goin' be problematic for big bro Rin and Haruka-chan.
Except...Haruka doesn't seem to show any kind of interest towards
anything but water, so she's pretty much screwed haha Harukaxwater! I ship it!

Lyfa said:
Rin made me laugh so hard, I wonder why he is showed as the bad guy and acts like it... dahm the waiting I wanna know ;___;

Oh please. Rin...a bad guy? lol he kept saying how his former "friends" were lame, but he kind of doesn't seem to get the whole picture. He also went to their abandoned swimming pool as well, took the trophy, challenged Haruka, strips and then there's no water in the pool! Was anyone else cracking up when that happened? I was on the floor dying.

Rin's such a bad boy...Australia changes people, y'know?

Also, Nagisa-kun jumping in the pool naked was...very unexpected. I quickly saved a mental picture of his behind, but it took me a long to time process what was going on. Nonetheless, still freaking adorable <3 ~ xD
Jul 3, 2013 3:11 PM
Oct 2008
Good 1st Ep will Keep Watching
Jul 3, 2013 3:12 PM

Mar 2013
EarlCiel said:
StrawHat_ said:

I know right? She's goin' be problematic for big bro Rin and Haruka-chan.
Except...Haruka doesn't seem to show any kind of interest towards
anything but water, so she's pretty much screwed haha Harukaxwater! I ship it!

Harukaxwater is right hehe. He's like a combo of Chihaya's passion for karuta with Oreki's "boring" personality
Jul 3, 2013 3:12 PM

Oct 2011
Here come the Boku no Pico recs. "Oh noes, I'm going to turn homo for watching Free!".
Jul 3, 2013 3:17 PM
Jun 2013
Watched first episode. All I have to say is I'm glad that this will just have 12 eps.
Jul 3, 2013 3:18 PM

Jun 2011
This whole episode was really great and the OP, ED, and OST was impressive and I like Nanase Haruka's character hehehe
Looking forward to next week's episode ^__^
「Icon credit to Milady666 ♡」
Jul 3, 2013 3:22 PM

Sep 2009
More fanservice than I expected, but certainly not complaining on that front. The animation was flawless, loved the OP/ED. All in all, better than I expected, and I was actually anticipating this anime from the beginning. ;3
Jul 3, 2013 3:23 PM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
Gou-chan appears more than I expected ! Great.... Hope we'll see her in each episode LOL

I think that is very likely to happen so guys(not into BL) will have something to look forward to. I mean why the hell would they make her so moe otherwise :3
Jul 3, 2013 3:24 PM

Apr 2011
MaxY- said:
symbv said:
Gou-chan appears more than I expected ! Great.... Hope we'll see her in each episode LOL

I think that is very likely to happen so guys(not into BL) will have something to look forward to. I mean why the hell would they make her so moe otherwise :3

I love tom-boyish characters, but that wont be enough to keep me watching this show.
Pages (18) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.