Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 4, 2014 3:07 PM

Dec 2011
Zoro .. <3
Aug 10, 2014 5:52 PM

Jul 2014
"Nothing Happened" WHAT A BADASS, Zoro FTW!!!

Always thought that Luffy was on another league compared to his crew but that fact that Zoro took on ALL of Luffy's pain ontop of his own is INSANE.. Haven't seen so much bravado since Jojo Bizzare adventure
Sep 10, 2014 3:34 PM

Oct 2013
Zoro=Beast

Oct 18, 2014 10:01 PM

Jan 2014
Nothing happened. The famous episode.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 20, 2015 11:05 AM

Mar 2014
HOLY SHIT AND A HALF
ZORO IS PURE AWESOME
HELL YEAH THAT WAS EPICCC
Jun 10, 2015 11:25 PM

Jun 2015
DAYUM ZORO ;_______;
Aug 23, 2015 1:09 PM

Mar 2015
I want to be as manly as Zoro when I grow up.

Great ep, great use of OST and animation and pacing were decent for once
Aug 28, 2015 7:46 AM
Sep 2014
Mr-Prince said:
Holy crap! this is one great episode. I loved it! Bloody Zoro is the Shit!.
Aug 31, 2015 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
Son of a... Zoro is one bad dude!
Awesome episode.
Oct 14, 2015 11:51 AM

May 2015
AMAZING Episode;

This episode shows the brotherhood between Sanji and Zoro really well and the same goes for their friendship with Luffy. If you compare this with the first time Luffy met Zoro and, Sanji met the crew, you can see how much the characters have grown.
Oct 17, 2015 4:03 AM

Dec 2014
Thanks Zoro, you're now my all time favourite.
Mar 23, 2016 10:35 PM

May 2013
YAAAASSSSZZZZZZ, ZORO <33333333333 DAS BAE
May 5, 2016 9:46 PM

Sep 2014
GODDAMN ZORO IS BOSS.

Zoro is Officially my favorite.

This is the best episode so far.
Jun 2, 2016 5:14 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
shotta77 said:
beginning was a waste of episode time!!! rest was great.

how people always have to complain about something .....

It was a nice episode. the end is coming :c

Jun 3, 2016 11:27 PM
Oct 2010
Zoro was utterly awesome here, I can't believe he survived all that!... But yes, lets not forget Sanji, this episode was the perfect portrayal of both of them.

I think in the previous episode Zoro suddenly remembered Sanji is not supposed to be a warrior (because by now it's taken for granted that when a fight arises, Luffy, Zoro and Sanji are the heavy fighters and I think Zoro and Sanji are confident in the strenght of the other) when he saw how bad he hurt his leg trying to save him and actually got worried. Thus, he felt even more compeled to give his life to protect the others as the warrior.

Sanji... I love how strong he is and how hard he tries to support in fight, even when yes, he actually has to spend most of his time cooking and not training like Zoro to become stronger. It's clear he was far beyond his limit when he offered his life instead of Zoro's and I loved to pieces the dialogue they had during the preview of this episode. I would have loved to see Zoro finally calling him Sanji for once... but I still really liked seeing their brotherhood, very moving.
Jun 18, 2016 7:23 PM

Jun 2015
Third time I watch it but first time I cried ;___;

This was the episode that make Zoro my favorite character from One Piece and that hasn't change at all
Jul 24, 2016 7:52 AM

Mar 2015
Wow great episode here, Zoro is one hell of a man to take on Luffy's pain like that. And without anyone knowing too!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 14, 2016 6:32 PM

Nov 2012
Love how deep Zoro's loyalty for Luffy runs.

And wow,the anime made him accepting Luffy's pain seem way more painful than the manga.

Best line:
Sanji: What are you doing here?
Zoro: Nothing...at all.
VanishingKiraSep 14, 2016 6:37 PM
Sep 23, 2016 10:07 PM
Oct 2015
My goal in life is to be at least half the man that Zoro is. motherfucking beast.
Mar 11, 2017 3:16 AM

May 2014
Godly episode.

"Nothing happened", eh? Dedication and pure strength of will at their finest...Zoro just gets cooler and cooler and somehow, him begging for his Captain to be spared makes him even more badass! I can't even believe he was still standing after taking on all of Luffy's damage!!

The bromance between Zoro and Sanji was strong as well, he even knocked Sanji out to save him ;-;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 28, 2017 11:47 AM

Jun 2015
The biggest reason I love Zoror is his loyalty. He deserves the post of first mate. Who said Sanji and Zoro don't get well together?

Glad that Zoro didn't crack after all that damage.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
May 8, 2018 12:33 PM

Mar 2017
ZORROOOO!!!!!!

zoro is literally the most loyal to Luffy ; w ;

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Oct 10, 2018 8:12 PM

Aug 2017
Ahhhhhhhhhh this was too freakin awesome?!?! Such manliness...such badassery...it’s enough to make a grown man cry...T-T

“What happened!?”

“Nothing at all.”
Dec 31, 2018 4:11 AM

Jun 2016
What an incredible wonderful freaking episode. I cried and I had to pause at moments to take in what was happening. Even now I'm shaking! That was so crazy. I could type so much about everything this episode so instead I'll focus on the parts that moved me to my core.

But before that I want to briefly touch on Kuma because at first I thought his skin repelled or he had some super iron body but now we see he was able to withstand Sanji's kick and the explosion because he's practically made out of real iron like Franky's fist.

Now onto the parts that made me bawl manly tears of admiration. Zoro, for one of the first times in the series has admitted defeat before being beaten out of submission or winning. It was because he realized after seeing Kuma's body that there was no way he could win in the state he was in, he was already having a hard time controlling his body. So, to compromise even further from the fate of only Luffy being killed he asks Kuma to kill him instead. What a freaking moment for Zoro. I've said before that I was worried about what Zoro would do for Luffy and when he didn't even chase Usopp when Luffy kicked him out of the crew I realized he would do practically anything while standing beside Luffy. Yet, I made a distinction that I thought he would do anything for Luffy but let his own dream die. Well now I know just how far his convictions lay. He would even give his own life and dream up for Luffy. He views his body as a vessel for his own ambitions but now we know his body is a vessel to his crew before even that. What a powerful character development. It was shocking to me when he asked for Kuma to kill him without faltering but it makes sense. His convictions are deep, when he talks about making a decision and sticking with the consequences, as long as he respects Luffy and his crew he will die for them before his own ambitions. He has made the decision to be a Straw Hat pirate and that means, to him, putting the Captain (and even his nakama like Sanji) before his own life. OMG. I LOVE ZORO, I WANT TO MAKE HIM ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE CHARACTERS ON MAL NOW.

The part that seriously made me start crying my eyes out though was when Sanji body blocked for Zoro and asked for Kuma to take his life instead. Sanji wanted to die for Zoro's sake. Yet, you could see he doesn't have the iron will that Zoro does. Where Zoro was strong in the face of death, Sanji took it unto himself despite violently shaking. He's not as ready to die, he hasn't put his life on the line like Zoro has, he doesn't hold the same beliefs of sticking with your decisions, nor does he have that Bushido way. That's why he wasn't ready mentally to die there but despite that, as emotional as he is, I think his emotions for the crew and specifically for Zoro are what made him try and die for Zoro's sake. Because of his love and respect for that guy. The bromance is wonderful and I love this duo... Seeing Sanji struggle to stand up to Kuma and block Zoro from behind him was so heartwarming.

But Zoro takes it on himself. It's his job as the second in command and the swordsman of the crew to protect the others. HE would rather die than let one of his nakama take his place. That itself is so touching. ZORO HAS COME SUCH A LONG WAY, he always was of the Bushido way but he in the start did not have these connections with others, he was not this close to anyone! He was a lone wolf. In that way he's come far.

This is where I think the anime did better than the manga since I looked back at it to see the art at the end of the chapter. It went by so much faster. Although this episode had the lingering reactions I did not like last episode here they served a fantastic purpose. The slow pacing was masterful! It made it so intense when Zoro disarmed himself and begged for death because the lingering shots signified that Kuma was observing and deciding. We the audience did not know what he was thinking and that made it terrifying. Would he push Zoro to the side, deny him, and kill Luffy? Would he take Zoro's head instead? Would he be so moved he let them off? Who knows?! And that's why seeing his face ponder as Zoro sat waiting for his own death absolutely defenselessly was so perfect! This episode has to be one of the best in the entire series...

Yet, Kuma was moved by this I think. His line about how it would bring shame to himself if he hurt Straw Hat after seeing such a display was charming. Was it out of respect for Zoro or did he want to test his resolution when he forced him to feel Luffy's pain? I'm not sure but it made Kuma absolutely interesting. He's so interesting, he's cruel in that he enjoys killing but seemingly only strong foes. He's a government cyborg who has his own self interest that guides him yet he still follows the government quite generally. He let the Straw Hats off but only after seeing such a display and with the expectation that Zoro would die. He has so much mystery to his actions and I love that because I don't think I've ever been this conflicted about a One Piece villain.

Zoro taking the pain of Luffy was not only delightfully symbolic after his speech about dying for his captain to protect him, he would take all of Luffy's pain and sacrifice himself to protect his nakama before valuing his life and ambition if need be, but it was also both GAR as hell and insightful. The moment Zoro took a small ounce of Luffy's pain and fatigue he showed pain I don't think we've ever seen him show before. Luffy's gears are killing him quite literally. Like he couldn't move after the Lucci fight, we saw just how much he put his body through this episode through how it affected Zoro. Sure, Zoro was already harmed but the scream he let out when embracing a small amount of Luffy's pain shows a lot.

Sanji worried and running out of the happy Straw Hat's circle to find out if Zoro was dead was also super amazing. He really loves that guy and the horror on his face when he found his swords was so tangible. "Nothing at all" was a great line too. To Zoro he's simply doing his job...

Also, the moment where Zoro told Kuma that Luffy WILL become the Pirate King reminded me Usopp's similar words back in his battle in Alabasta. Both are some of my favorite moments.
Sep 30, 2019 6:54 PM
Nov 2014
This is not only the best episode in One Piece, it might be the single best anime episode i've seen. And I watched A LOT. Just when I thought I couldn't love Zoro more. Man what a character.
Dec 3, 2019 11:45 PM
Aug 2017
YOOOO Zoro really is one of the best characters in OP NO CAP!
Truly one of the most iconica if not the most scene of ONE PIECE EVER!

10/10 good shite right here
Jul 19, 2020 6:36 PM

May 2016
This episode was beyond amazing and it was undoubtedly one of my favorite ones so far. The bonds of the Straw Hat Pirates are nothing to scoff at and Zoro's absolute determination and loyalty had my admiration for him skyrocket like never before.

Seeing Sanji and Zoro so willingly sacrifice themselves for their Nakama was already enough to put a tear on my eye but seeing the latter suffer through hell all for his Captain and get out of a situation like that alive was one of the most badass and glorious feats ever. That was a definitive Roronoa Zoro moment right there!

Aug 1, 2020 1:18 PM
Dec 2019
HOLY DAMN!!!!!!!! THIS MAN!!!!!!
Favorite episode featuring Zoro!
Aug 1, 2020 5:15 PM

May 2020
Damn... Zoro is really tough. This was crazy.
Aug 4, 2020 9:06 AM

Mar 2020
Oh my fucking god, I loved this episode!

The bittersweet brotherhood between Sanji and Zoro.. even thought they are always bickering with each other, the truth is, they care about each other just as much as the others do! AND THAT BLOODY ZORO! I still can't believe he was still alive.

This episode was truly brilliant!
Aug 22, 2020 4:55 PM

Mar 2017
sanji proved himself to b ride or die

zoro on the other hand... he went way beyond that

popstyleAug 23, 2020 1:45 PM
Oct 19, 2020 4:47 AM
Jul 2015
Loved this episode. The encounter with Kuma, his questionable methods and Zoro and Sanji. Felt the emotions of the long journey the crew has had together since the East Blue up to now in how Luffy’s monstrous duo was willing to sacrifice their lives for him. It felt impactful in how they did it. The bickering between those two has been showing throughout the series, but at that moment it was the best. Sanji barely able to stand due to leg injuries trying to stop Zoro and Zoro following stopping Sanji and not backing down on his words.

Still wonder what happened to the ghost princess after her encounter with Kuma.
Oct 27, 2020 2:43 AM

Sep 2019
Summary of this episode:

Zoro: NOTHING HAPPENED.
Jan 11, 2021 7:14 PM

Oct 2020
best episode so far. Zoro is a GOAT
Mar 23, 2021 9:13 AM
Jan 2018
Holyyyy shitt this episode...Totally blew me up, i had noticed how the animation at the beginning of the episode was so gorgeous i kind of knew some badass shit is going to happen but this was just phenomenal. I literally cried at the end of the episode when Zoro said "Nothing happened". This is why i love anime, this is why i bother to spend my free time watching anime while i could be doing many other things lmao. Zoro is now clearly my all time fav character in anime period.
May 11, 2021 7:46 PM
May 2012
I forgot how great this arc was. And Zoro taking on Luffy's pain was amazing.
May 25, 2021 3:10 AM

Jun 2019
What is pain? That's our vice-captain, Zoro ;_;
One of the most badass moments in the history of anime. There I said it again for the 6th time.
Jul 1, 2021 11:10 PM
Aug 2020
dorkeemindee12 said:
OH MY GAWDDDDD, no wonder Zoro is everybody (who's up to date)'s favorite character!!! This is by far my favorite episode!!! O____O
ZORO!!!!!!!!!!
This is also mine favourite one piece episode
Jul 6, 2021 12:21 AM

Dec 2012
WTF ZORO
BIG RESPECT!!!

Jul 17, 2021 6:59 AM

Sep 2012
Respect to Zoro, didn't even go down after that. What a Legend
Also props to Sanji as well
Aug 8, 2021 9:51 AM

Aug 2021
omg omg
Zoro just took the damage of oars+moria+bomb on luffy
and still standing in blood
completely overpowered episode
eeeeee
zoro <33
11/10
Oct 20, 2021 7:55 AM

Apr 2021
Is it still healthy to be obsessed with a fictional character aka Zoro?
“Why does an apple fall when it is ripe? Is it brought down by the force of gravity? Is it because its stalk withers? Because it is dried by the sun, because it grows too heavy, or because the boy standing under the tree wants to eat it? None of these is the cause.... Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own free will is in the historical sense not free at all but is bound up with the whole course of history and preordained from all eternity.”

― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Oct 22, 2021 6:27 AM

Apr 2021
It took me two nights to let this episode sink in. Here are some of my thoughts:

(1) Zoro/Luffy

It appears to me, at this point in the story, that Luffy's journey necessitates becoming more like Zoro - a natural-born, mature and deliberative leader, someone who knows what should be done and does it.

Zoro's quest, on the other hand, entails learning to be more like Luffy - protective and intuitive person, someone who does not live for himself alone but also for others (his nakama).

(2) Why isn't Zoro not the Captain?

Considering that they are in the same pirate group, the possibility of mutiny is not remote. Add that to the fact that Zoro is such a great character. Perhaps we can find the answer from their different fighting styles.

Zoro, despite his monstrous strength, knows his limits. Such knowledge is a two-bladed sword - it both helps him become stronger (with Mr. 1 Danz Bonez, Kaku, Ryuuma) and somehow constrains him when the odds are TOTALLY not in his favor (like during the face-off with Mihawk and Bartholomew Kuma).

Compare him with Luffy, who knows his limits but simply will not give up. I don't think I have to enumerate his fights to illustrate this point. The bottom line is that Luffy always surpasses himself in every fight. When things are not in his favor, he adapts (true to his nature as a rubber???)

Just my two cents.
“Why does an apple fall when it is ripe? Is it brought down by the force of gravity? Is it because its stalk withers? Because it is dried by the sun, because it grows too heavy, or because the boy standing under the tree wants to eat it? None of these is the cause.... Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own free will is in the historical sense not free at all but is bound up with the whole course of history and preordained from all eternity.”

― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Feb 21, 2022 6:44 AM
Jun 2017
One question: 1. If the purpose of Kuma was to eliminate the strawhats pirates, and then he decided to just eliminate Luffy, I understand that he decides to eliminate Zoro instead of Luffy. But his purpose then would have been to kill him, or at least to put him in jail. So why he decides to leave him alive, and don't tell me that he thought Zoro would die with so much pain.
By the way I loved the episode and how Zoro took that decision, it was awesome, but I don't understand Kuma's decision.
Mar 13, 2022 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
5/5 truly amazing episode Zoro what a man he is
removed-userAug 13, 2022 5:37 AM
Mar 28, 2022 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
Zoro, what a man you are! This scene is easily one of his best moments and proves what an absolute hardass he is. Seldom does One Piece get this disturbing to watch - I couldn't stop nervously shifting in my seat as I could barely fathom the absolute horror that Zoro was facing with his indomitable will.

Sanji was awesome too, but I really don't think he could have handled the magnitude of that trial. Between Zoro's pride and his rivalry with Sanji, it was that bond that ultimately saved the Straw Hats against impossible odds.
Apr 4, 2022 9:47 AM

Oct 2020
Episodes like this are the reason i love one piece !
Bloody Zoro, holy shit !
Apr 15, 2022 1:53 PM
Dec 2015
This was great, don't get me wrong, but it also shows that none of the lead characters can die in this anime. Or at least, as far as I know. I am watching this for the first time. I love it, but there's never really any life threatening danger if this guy after already being on the brink of death can survive that.
May 14, 2022 8:22 PM

Feb 2014
So that iconic scene of Zoro just standing there all bloody is from this episode.
No one knows all the damage and pain he had to take for his friend.
Jun 16, 2022 8:39 AM

Jan 2021
Mad respect for Zoro man he is loyalty itself huge respect to him damn
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 550 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Lohara - Jun 2, 2012

58 by carol_06 »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1031 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - Sep 3, 2022

126 by Marcos-1 »»
54 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Aug 27, 2008

90 by silentview »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1105 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 18

58 by Senior-Po »»
Yesterday, 6:38 PM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 440 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Splitter - Feb 27, 2010

95 by bakakisima »»
Yesterday, 2:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.