Forum Settings
Forums

What's the first anime you would recommend for a non-anime fan?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 23, 2018 10:45 AM
Aug 2018
Death Note, you don't have to like anime much to enjoy the plot
Oct 23, 2018 10:59 AM

Aug 2018
Platypus7 said:
Depends on the tastes of the person I'm recommending to. Mainstream stuff is probably the best to draw most people in, especially if they want to discuss what they watch with others. Death Note, AoT, FMA (Brotherhood or original) and HeroAca are all nice options. A movie like Spirited Away or Your Name would also be good, there's not really a wrong answer though.

I completly agree with you ! I was going to same something similar.
Oct 23, 2018 11:07 AM
Jul 2015
Some anime that is a shit under any point of view, so that he never again want to see anime again.
Oct 23, 2018 11:32 AM
Dec 2013
If they're a boy: Naruto.
If they're a girl: Cardcaptor Sakura.
If they're a grown man: Monster.
If they're a grown woman: Nana.
Oct 23, 2018 12:03 PM
A Monster

May 2018
It would be Death Note without a doubt
"Never Give Up Without A Fight" By Zuko
Oct 23, 2018 12:07 PM

Nov 2017
Something short, fast placed and full of emotions. Gunbuster, FLCL and the like.
Oct 23, 2018 12:39 PM

Jun 2015
Assuming I don't know the person and their interests:

girl - Noragami, ReLIFE, Oregairu, Haikyuu

guy - Grappler Baki, JoJo, Redline, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

If it's someone I'm close to and know something about, I'll dig deeper and find something that would suit their interests :D
Oct 23, 2018 12:43 PM

Jan 2014
Soul Eater is usually a good start. That's how I got my cousin into it.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 23, 2018 1:35 PM

Nov 2017
Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop since they're made more for a western audience. Honestly you don't need to like anime that much to enjoy either of them.
Oct 23, 2018 1:45 PM

Dec 2008
I'd have to say Escaflowne for various reasons.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 23, 2018 1:53 PM

Dec 2015
Abominable said:
-Funland- said:

I see that the quality of your baits have gone down. smh

Not a bait. I'm not joking or racist. Different races tend to like different shit.

That's true.
But SJWs will shout "racist!" or crap like that.
Ignore them.
Oct 23, 2018 1:58 PM

Dec 2015
My recommendations always are Death Note, Shingeki no Kyojin and Made in Abyss for people in general.

But in some cases I used Inuyasha and Angel Beats, specially for girls.

I didn't fail yet. 100% success.
Oct 23, 2018 2:04 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood since its a safe pick.
Oct 23, 2018 2:10 PM

Apr 2018
Death note or Fullmetal Alchemist. Or a really famous anime from the person's fav genre.
Oct 23, 2018 2:13 PM
Jan 2017
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, because it's not too long, and is something I feel like anyone can love regardless of whether your an anime fan or not. Plus, it's really well done, which can ease them in to watching anime and help prove the fact that anime is worth watching.
Oct 23, 2018 3:30 PM

Aug 2018
I would recommend something upbeat for a non-anime fan, colourful and simple to understand as a starter's anime. Something like Gurren Lagann comes to my mind, or some shonen.

Apart from these, if the non-anime fan were skeptical/cold towards anime, I would recommend some animated movie without wild expressions or moe, serious and mature-looking. Something like a Ghibli movie, or Ghost in the Shell crosses my mind.
Oct 23, 2018 3:30 PM
Jan 2018
In the past,I had recommended Shigatsu wa kimi no uso (Your Lie in April)to a friend of mine and he dropped it after a couple of episodes,so i guess thats a no-no,But dont get me wrong,cause I,for one thinks that its a beautiful anime...the thing is,the gags and the mellow style in certain anime like this initially can give the wrong vibes to any beginner(hope Iam making sense)Anime that can be recommended to people who are trying to get into anime are

-Code Geass
-Boku no Hero academia
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-One punch man
-The irregular at Magic high school
Oct 23, 2018 3:32 PM

Oct 2017
Just tell them to Watch Fate Zero as their first anime if they're above the age of 15.

It should usually work.

Rating too high? Most movies are more violent than anime ever is, and people have no issue watching them.

Non anime fans might not like over-exaggerated animation or ridiculous premises like TTGL and Madoka Magica.
They may not like generic / slow paced battle shonen too because it takes too long, and they may not be interest in slow paced school drama too cuz they may find it boring, so I say F/Z is a good starter anime.
Oct 23, 2018 3:37 PM

Oct 2017
Spyros_Kranakis said:
I would recommend something upbeat for a non-anime fan, colourful and simple to understand as a starter's anime. Something like Gurren Lagann comes to my mind, or some shonen.

Apart from these, if the non-anime fan were skeptical/cold towards anime, I would recommend some animated movie without wild expressions or moe, serious and mature-looking. Something like a Ghibli movie, or Ghost in the Shell crosses my mind.

Contrary, I find that non anime-fan adults may find battle shonen pretty boring and "childish", so probably not the best to recommend as their first anime.

If it's teeneger, it may be a different story.
Oct 23, 2018 3:40 PM

Oct 2017
uninstallthegame said:
i would recommend them eromanga-sensei. after that there's 2 paths:

-they either drop anime forever
-or they continue and every next anime after eromanga would seem good

Or 3rd path, they call FBI to capture you :D
Oct 23, 2018 3:43 PM

Aug 2018
Something like Madoka Magica would be out of the question for starters, fair point. Not all will appreciate trippy animation or moe (although some of my friends who don't like moe much appreciated its drama and animation).

As for Gurren Lagann, I think it would be a fine choice to recommend to teenage boys or grown men who like action-packed anime. As for stock shonen, I have to agree, not all will appreciate massive casts of characters or slow pacing.

In the end, I think I would recommend something with few episodes, depending more on what the other person asks in genre rather than anything else. Certainly not Made in Abyss for an adventure fan e.g, but something lighter and softer such as Konosuba would do.
Oct 23, 2018 3:47 PM

May 2018
It depends on what the person likes. In my case I'd recommend to my best friend Hotarubi no mori e or Shigatsu wa kimi no Uso cause she loves romance and drama. On the other hand if you're trying to convince someone who prefers genres like action or suspense I'd say Attack on Titan or Death Note instead.
Oct 23, 2018 3:50 PM
Aug 2018
Depends on the person. But if it's all anime in general I would suit anime in this order :
Attack on Titan
Death note
Clannad
Sword art online
Etc etc
Oct 23, 2018 4:15 PM

Nov 2016
FMA: Brotherhood
Death Note
One Punch Man

They are accessible to most audiences and cover a large portion of what anime has to offer. Most likely if they don't like what they see here they won't like anime.

Another approach you can take is through movies as they are shorter so they can always have the time to watch them. You want to start off with Miyazaki and Mamoru films to show them anime isn't for kids, or at least can be more mature and heartwarming. Stuff like:

Wolf Children
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke

Then, Satoshi Kon. Everything by him to show the darker sides of anime.

Paprika
Mellennium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Perfect Blue

If these didn't work just give up. Anime isn't for everyone.
Oct 23, 2018 4:24 PM

Aug 2009
Either Dragon Ball Kai or the original Fullmetal Alchemist since that's what I started with in the mid 2000's.

Oct 23, 2018 4:34 PM

Mar 2014
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 TV series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2018 5:13 PM

Sep 2018
Steins;gate, it was literally my gateway drug into anime and also the first show to ever make me cry.

I'd also say Code Geass is a good choice

Oct 23, 2018 5:16 PM

Oct 2018
Death note, One punch man or Cowboy bebop
Oct 23, 2018 5:21 PM
Jun 2016
For a first anime, I would probably start them off with something new and popular, such as my hero academia (or something not as new, but with the same effect, such as aot or sao). However if I know this friend's tastes, I might make a recommendation based on what I think they would enjoy. Then off course, I could recommend what I think is good and what I enjoy (clearly distinguishing them).
Oct 23, 2018 5:25 PM

Jul 2017
Your lie in april. It was my first ^-^
Oct 23, 2018 5:32 PM

Jul 2016
Probably one of the more popular studio ghibli movies as it is easy and fun to watch, good story and has Disney feels to it so it is an easy passage way to the world of anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2018 5:44 PM
Jun 2016
My obligatory first was Omamori Himari. Wouldn't recommend that though.
Oct 23, 2018 5:56 PM

Aug 2018
original fullmetal alchemist,because the action scenes would seen better as there is nothing to compare and it would be a great anime,plus it would prepare for brotherhood
Oct 23, 2018 5:57 PM

Aug 2016
Probably FMAB, One Punch Man, and Death Note
Oct 23, 2018 6:32 PM

Mar 2013
Swagernator said:
TTGL, because that is the definition of anime as a medium.
I have to agree with this. Gurren Lagann is generally what anime is in ephemeral sense (or rather the current image that best describes what we see as anime in general).
However I feel that One Punch Man represent the anime that I myself hope for. Basically the wishful and hopeful ideal of what I think "anime" should at the very least aspire to.
Oct 23, 2018 7:41 PM
Jul 2018
Either Death note or Attack on Titan, I'd recommend FMA:B as well too.
Oct 23, 2018 7:57 PM
Aug 2017
I'd say Code Geass.
Back in 2012, I started with Steins;Gate, after a lot of recommandations from my friends who watch a lot of animes. At the time, I dropped it because there were too much codes for me to assimilate, japanese culture, uncommon artistic direction, japanese voices. With Code Geass, I wasn't lost thanks to the odd mixt in the story between western and eastern culture in the story (britania, mecha, sf etc)
OPM seems to be a nice choice for the same reasons.
Oct 23, 2018 8:45 PM
Nov 2016
I recommend Death Note to my friends, and they became anime addict after that
Oct 23, 2018 9:04 PM

Sep 2017
Cardcaptor Sakura. Definitely. Some of my friends who were newbies watched it and they really liked it, so much that they kept on talking about it. Also, it is really good and quick to grasp. It doesn't have the problems of being anime esque like current anime which focuses on ecchi and incest and also is a very good anime from start to end. Also, a 90s anime which aired at same time along with same simple theme as Pokemon and dragon ball z, but still better. So it would be easy and not a big deal for them to follow the anime.

Death note would be a suggestion, but the problem is the latter half which completely ruins the storyline. To be frank, death note was one of my first anime, but after episode 25, I stopped watching it. Also, I didn't feel like watching other anime after how it ended out. So, in my opinion, no non anime guy should watch death note as their first anime.

Score 1 for cardcaptor Sakura, 0 for death note.

Anyways, I think that it is not the first anime that counts, but what types of anime you choose in the beginning that helps. I for one, have been a fan of the romance genre, so I think that if you want someone to get into anime, you should find out his genre interest and give him a list of related anime to watch.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Oct 23, 2018 9:28 PM

Mar 2018
Naruto and Shippuuden filler-less version.

If he/she complains it's too long, then FMAB.

Oct 23, 2018 9:31 PM

Aug 2011
I've started off everyone with Elfin Lied.
So far it has always worked.
^_^
Oct 23, 2018 11:18 PM
Sep 2018
-Funland- said:
Abominable said:
It totally depends on the person.
A black person - yuu yuu hakusho
A white child - hunter x hunter
A white adult - serial experieniment's lain
Women - your lie in April

i feel like that's racist but you probably didn't mean it...
Oct 23, 2018 11:21 PM
Sep 2018
Lunilah said:
Knightmare_YK said:

You could've known about the place of Death Note in my kokoro if you've had checked my profile :(
ur wut pls no weeb speak on this weeb site
damn everyone hates Knightmare_YK smh i don't think its the best anime ever but its prety good and tbh my bait is FMA Naruto and HxH.
Oct 23, 2018 11:22 PM
Sep 2018
oguba said:
- Boku no Hero Academia (This was my 1st anime)

- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

If the person likes dark stuff:
- Shingeki no Kyojin
i fail to see how tokyo ghoul is dark
watch goblin slayer
Oct 23, 2018 11:24 PM

Oct 2014
oaeex said:
Lunilah said:
ur wut pls no weeb speak on this weeb site
damn everyone hates Knightmare_YK smh i don't think its the best anime ever but its prety good and tbh my bait is FMA Naruto and HxH.
You misunderstand, i didn't know what "kokoro" meant.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 23, 2018 11:26 PM

Dec 2017
oaeex said:
-Funland- said:

i feel like that's racist but you probably didn't mean it...

I meant to say that Abominable was trying to hard for attention.
Oct 24, 2018 12:08 AM
Oct 2018
It will be Death note because it has everything that a person can ask for, a nice plot, great twists, awesome characters and it will keep you on the edge of the seat
Oct 24, 2018 12:33 AM

May 2017
prank for new anime fan.
the first is Noragami, so they can trust me in recommendations.
the second is Boku no Pico, THE END :)
Oct 24, 2018 4:15 AM

Jul 2017
Shingeki no Kyojin will be the best one to recommend.

Oct 24, 2018 5:09 AM

Aug 2017
something easy to get into with lots of appeal. Fullmetal Alchemist would be my go to choice, but anything that is easy to get into and enjoy i'd recommend
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 30

78 by traed »»
14 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 )

707supremacist - May 5

135 by Jeevanandhnr »»
42 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

104 by SaltyCookie »»
51 minutes ago

» What views on anime make you feel like some 2nd century Christian who rejects most of the gospels on obscure gnostic grounds.

vasipi4946 - 11 hours ago

12 by Theo1899 »»
1 hour ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - 12 hours ago

12 by DigiCat »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.