Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 14, 2018 12:50 AM

Jun 2016

Ugh this episode is so much better than the first. This should be the first episode, maaaan. Love how Deen decided to maintain the drawing of Ito-sensei and not make it look animated. I feel so uncomfortable watching this. I fucking love it.

That woman in the first half will forever haunt me. Haaaaalp. ;-;

5/5. <3

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 14, 2018 2:43 AM

Jul 2015
well.. this episode was much interesting to watch.. idk about anyone else.. but the first ep was kinda boring... but this ep? DAMN! .. i showed this to my mom and you know what she said?.. she said "is there any other video like this!?" !!!
Jan 14, 2018 3:16 AM

Jun 2012
Reminds me of the webtoon Tales of the Unusual. I love such series. Creepy is what I would call them. Definitely creepy :D

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Jan 14, 2018 3:44 AM

Sep 2017
Both parts were pretty creepy the second one being a bit better. Those guys were idiots in the first story wow, they deserved to die.
Jan 14, 2018 4:32 AM

Dec 2010
n00b44 said:
Yes it is a problem and I'm not sure what part about it was "twisted" nor do I see how can it be considered as a horror, above all it should be considered as a comedy, a bad one.

"Horror films often aim to evoke viewers' nightmares, fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Plots within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage into the everyday world."

It is still horror. You may think a bad one, but still a horror story.

And the "twisted" part was about possible plot progression - we wont see the progression so it was just about a thing that was not showed.
Jan 14, 2018 8:21 AM

Aug 2015
tearofmankind said:
n00b44 said:
Yes it is a problem and I'm not sure what part about it was "twisted" nor do I see how can it be considered as a horror, above all it should be considered as a comedy, a bad one.

"Horror films often aim to evoke viewers' nightmares, fears, revulsions and terror of the unknown. Plots within the horror genre often involve the intrusion of an evil force, event, or personage into the everyday world."

It is still horror. You may think a bad one, but still a horror story.

And the "twisted" part was about possible plot progression - we wont see the progression so it was just about a thing that was not showed.

Nothing about the second episode evokes "nightmares", "fears", and/or "terror of the unknown". And not everything that has an "evil force" falls under the horror genre, but you've just copied the horror definition from wikipedia instead of taking the time to think for yourself. Thus far it does not fall under the horror genre and I will reiterate what I've said before, above all it should be considered as a comedy. That is also a horrid excuse for bad writing. The plot wasn't that great , so not having a plot progression would be moronic, the writers were either too lazy or they weren't able to cram everything in 10minutes. Which leads me to believe that someone is just trying to make a quick buck off of this garbage, all of these stories thus far were underwritten and every single character seems to be one dimensional.
Jan 14, 2018 11:43 AM

Jan 2017
They were creepy... Absolutely fantastic!
Karasuno Fight!!!
Jan 14, 2018 11:48 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Only imagine that can dream that you can live 100 years in one night, give me scary!!!
Jan 14, 2018 2:34 PM

Aug 2014
Ok, I'm starting to really enjoy this series.

The first episode was nothing great, but this one was pretty good.

First segment was kind of dumb actually, but it had a creative premise and was quite impactful in it's surrealness regardless of how ridiculous it was.

The second segment on the other hand was brilliant. While I don't think it really needed the whole particles, that cause disease and the rotting, it still fleshed out the segment into a great whole.
Jan 14, 2018 2:58 PM

Sep 2017
The first episode let me... shrugging? But this one was just great!

The first segment felt quite like any horror-whatever, but the design of the model was unsettling enough to make that up (I hope she'll not haunt my thoughts for days like the MC!)

The second segment was really, really good. It was mentally terrifing. Like, can you imagine having a nightmare for 10 or more years? And the end really got me thinking. Would I rather die or feel like living in a dream for the whole eternity? It was really interesting.
HetachiyoniJan 14, 2018 3:10 PM
Jan 14, 2018 3:38 PM

May 2015
Yeah, this week's episode was a lot more creepy than the first one, especially the first half.

Jan 14, 2018 3:47 PM

May 2016
I would have liked it more if they gave us more of a visual on how horrifying the endless dream is, instead of the guy just saying there horrifying. Having to fit episodes into the standard times feels like it hurts the show, as having the time to create tension and let the disturbing visual sink in would make the stories feel more solid.
It is cool to see it being adapted into animation.
Jan 14, 2018 4:01 PM

Nov 2011
The animated art is slightly less creepy than the manga art, but I guess I expected that. Overall really enjoyed episode 2- more than episode 1 honestly. The concept of a long dream is really fascinating.

Jan 14, 2018 5:10 PM

Dec 2017
It was just sick. Loved it. First part was just like a youth-horror movie, but 2nd part could be a movie, or series alone.
SkittleSnackJan 14, 2018 5:16 PM
Jan 14, 2018 7:49 PM
Jul 2015
What a great episode! Way better than the first and definitely not as humorous or light as thought the series was going to be. I was actually creeped out haha especially when fuchi first laughed in the car...was not expecting that at all!!

The dream thing was also a total mindfuck. I wish they elaborated on it more.
Jan 14, 2018 9:05 PM

May 2014
Wow, I was not expecting that.

Part 1: The first part was okay nothing great, the animation and art was complete shit but the story was fine, its kinda just a basic horror monster film but what I will yeah is that the monster is this one is actually pretty gross and scary.

Part 2: The second story blew me away, a super unique story that is truly terrifying and has a great ending. I really loved how it showed the man's body start deforming and withering away, and that last scene of the man's body is haunting.
Jan 14, 2018 10:44 PM

Jul 2013
Afficio said:
I would have liked it more if they gave us more of a visual on how horrifying the endless dream is, instead of the guy just saying there horrifying. Having to fit episodes into the standard times feels like it hurts the show, as having the time to create tension and let the disturbing visual sink in would make the stories feel more solid.
It is cool to see it being adapted into animation.

i think one of the factor of the horror/eeriness of that story is that it doesn't go into detail over the actual dreams themselves and leave the audience to their imagination... sometimes what's left unsaid is scarier than what's been said...
leaves a sense of uncertainty and it did make me hesitant about falling asleep...
Jan 15, 2018 12:19 AM
Sep 2016
I feel sad about this.
I don't think the anime is bad, however... It was definitely better than the first episode, and it even felt creepy at times. Until now I hadn't read the stories the anime adapted except for Souichi's, but Long Dreams is one of my favourite Junji Ito stories and I don't think the anime made it justice. The production values are abysmal, even for a horror anime (I understand obscure series with horror, violent or sexual content aren't going to get the One Punch Man treatment, but oh man....) Part of the shock in these stories comes from the extraordinarily detailed and horrifying artwork in the final reveal, and even if you can't replicate that in animation it can certainly be countermeasured with witty direction, wich isn't very passionate (for loves sake, half of this are still images!). Maybe the limited budget suited better a comedy story like Souichi.

I really want to like this, I'm a great fan of Junji Ito, but I don't want the manga ruined by a watered down, cheap adaptation. (It's really not that bad, only mediocre)
Jan 15, 2018 1:47 PM

Apr 2016
I enjoyed the first one, I didn't remember reading it before and I want to think of it as though they were all exaggerating/ hallucinating because the girl was so ugly they turned her into a literal monster in their heads and then died from natural causes (like running into a rock).
The second one is an interesting concept poorly done, though its hard to translate horror into animation. Writing horror manga seems impossible enough but Junji Ito did it. So far it's my favorite anime of the season. Hopefully they can draw out it's potential by adapting some of the longer arcs into a few episodes.
Jan 15, 2018 2:08 PM

Apr 2014
The first story was super creepy, the second one was alright. The animation was awful though. Still, I liked this episode a lot.
your waifu is shit
Jan 15, 2018 11:02 PM

Apr 2015
Was a tad more grotesque than EP1, and a bit better I think.
Jan 15, 2018 11:15 PM

Feb 2010
I LOVED this episode. I am a huge fan of junji ito and when I heard there was going to be an anime I was so excited. That's why I was so sad I actually didn't really care for the first episode. But this one was awesome!!! It's really hard for me to get scared and that lady in the first story creeped me out XD
And I loved the second one as well. Found it quite sad and the alien looking dude was also quite creepy.
I'm so excited to see what other stories will be made. I'm hoping for some of my favorites!
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Jan 16, 2018 2:53 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The second story about the dream, was nice too!!!
Jan 16, 2018 4:05 AM

Mar 2014
Christ on a bike. The woman on the first half was scary but the entire second half was disturbing as fuck. Endless dreams that lead to one's insanity is a really intriguing but simultaneously terrifying concept. Real talk though, these doctors were useless. And it's pretty unprofessional and kinda prohibited to tell them ''it's all in your head'' lmao
Jan 17, 2018 6:58 AM

Jan 2013
Way better than the 1 one... Still can't wait for Tomie and The Intersection Bishounen.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Jan 17, 2018 7:57 AM

May 2013
Whyyyyyy wasn't this the first episode? Way better. Long Dreams is my favourite Ito story I'm so glad it got adapted. Here's hoping for The Thing that Drifted Ashore.
Jan 17, 2018 8:58 PM

Sep 2012
It wasn't scary at all, but that woman did look ugly af. Also, I didn't expect the killing especially since the first episode gave off a more lighthearted comedy feeling to it.
Jan 18, 2018 2:26 AM
May 2008
It looks like Itou was mesmerized by images of Spanish actress Rossy de Palma. He just had to use her in a story.
(•…•)

Jan 18, 2018 2:35 PM

Jun 2013
Even I think Fuchi is crazy ugly and fucking creepy. I wanted to see if she ate Iwasaki or not. I think it was the best one.

Although, the patient who turned into husk while he wasted away from his eternal dreams was also creepy in its own way.

I really hope they adapt TOMIE. I love that series.
臭い-
Jan 18, 2018 6:50 PM

Sep 2017
Didn't like the model story very much, but "Long Dreams" was awesome.
Jan 19, 2018 3:00 PM

May 2013
feelingblue2 said:
Didn't like the model story very much, but "Long Dreams" was awesome.
This episode had a really great distillation of Ito's 'serious' works. It's the perfect dichotomy of "look at this gross freaky thing" vs drawing on vaguely cosmic/surreal horror ideas. The latter is generally more critically regarded but I can appreciate both since his designs for his monsters are usually very fun and interesting (although Fuchi is not a great example of this imo).

The latter also suits his writing style more - since he has that infamous tendency to just have stories end suddenly with no resolution that a lot of people despise. It works better where the horror comes more from an idea than a monster I think. But those stories are also a lot more difficult to do, so I can see why he'd rather lean to body horror.
Jan 19, 2018 4:19 PM

Feb 2013
That model looked like a titan!
Shame the story went the killer monster route. It would have been better if it had all been mis-perception.

Dream dude was pretty interesting as well.
The "side" story about the girl was unnecessary though. It only made an excuse for the doctor to be unethical.

While I found this episode to be more interesting than the last... it's pretty low-end and cliche.
Jan 19, 2018 8:45 PM

Jan 2009
I literally can't stop thinking about that women one week later. Very creeped out....
Jan 20, 2018 3:46 AM

Nov 2014
why don't they just publish his conditions onto the internet?? or share it with other professional doctors around the world. im sure someone would know what to do with him...

BurntJelly said:

The "side" story about the girl was unnecessary though. It only made an excuse for the doctor to be unethical.

maybe thats what ito junji intended, maybe the purpose of this story is to show the dark side of that doctor
Jan 20, 2018 6:41 PM

May 2013
ttcchen said:
why don't they just publish his conditions onto the internet?? or share it with other professional doctors around the world. im sure someone would know what to do with him...

BurntJelly said:

maybe thats what ito junji intended, maybe the purpose of this story is to show the dark side of that doctor

The point was, I think, to make you think about whether or not what he did was good. And to consider if you would prefer to be put in the state of long dreaming, where you wouldn't be able to think about dying because your grasp of reality would be weak and dreams would seem as real as being awake. And all that is supposed to unsettle you and creep you out.
Jan 20, 2018 10:44 PM

Oct 2010
I gotta admit, the first collection got me fucked up by the photo alone. Sucks that it has to end with us thinking what happened to the rest of the cast.

The second one wasnt as creepy but it was mysteriously interesting. The concept of an incurable never ending dream is frightening. I dont believe passing that to Mami was a smart idea doctor lol.
Jan 21, 2018 4:26 AM

Nov 2014
NotFuuko said:
I gotta admit, the first collection got me fucked up by the photo alone. Sucks that it has to end with us thinking what happened to the rest of the cast.

The second one wasnt as creepy but it was mysteriously interesting. The concept of an incurable never ending dream is frightening. I dont believe passing that to Mami was a smart idea doctor lol.

but she did get better, and so i think the "cure" works
Jan 27, 2018 2:55 PM

Dec 2015
The second part was the first in this anime that I really liked. It reminded me of Lovecraft works, that's exactly my kind of horror. Hopefully there will be more stories like that in next episodes.
Jan 28, 2018 3:14 AM

Jul 2009
Those guys were stupid to call Fuchi for the movie...the doctor in the end was a surprise that he used the long dreams crystals on Mimi.
Jan 29, 2018 6:44 PM

Nov 2009
Hilarious first half. Secound half was interesting. Thumbs up
Jan 30, 2018 5:11 AM

Dec 2015
Endless Dream is a classic, they depicted it quite well with the art style
~
Feb 5, 2018 9:58 AM

Jan 2017
Honestly I prefer when anime aims to creepy the audience out and make them think, rather than outright scare us. I feel this episode clearly illustrated how that is done, especially with Long Dreams. It’s a shame the concepts can’t be explored further but oh well.

Overall this episode was a lot better than the first one! And the ED and OP rank pretty highly for me for the season.
Pickled_ChipsFeb 5, 2018 10:02 AM
Feb 5, 2018 12:06 PM
Mar 2017
Am I the only one who felt that this episode lasted for 200 years xD
Feb 11, 2018 7:31 PM

Dec 2008
That second story makes me never want to sleep again.
Feb 18, 2018 4:23 AM

Feb 2015
This was a great episode, much better than the first. A lot of people are saying that it's not as good as the manga but I don't think we'll ever get a Junji Ito adaption as good as the manga form due to the way manga leaves a lot to the imagination whereas in anime you can clearly see everything on your screen.
Mar 10, 2018 7:54 PM
Jan 2018
Horrorreader91 said:
While each minute passed in the episode I had an image pop in my head of a building full of expressionless people working on this anime. My god, it has zero passion.

Yeah I get the feeling that the behind of scenes the animators and writers already felt like it was a horror movie.
Mar 26, 2018 8:04 AM

May 2016
That's what you get for hiring a creepy-ass Tim Burton character for your movie lmao

When the perception of time has been muddled to the point of being an illusion, the time you spend feels like an eternity resulting in the numbness towards death. That is quite an interesting concept. I feel that way in dreams sometimes too.

May 14, 2018 8:16 PM

Sep 2010
Not sure if I'll watch the rest of this. So far I prefer the manga.

Edit: Nevermind, it got me. My mind was wondering and I was like 'the fashion model and becoming dust after dreaming were creepy.' Not bad. Guess I don't have to go manga only.
Toxic_MongooseMay 14, 2018 10:07 PM
May 21, 2018 1:53 PM

Aug 2014
This episode was alright. Wasn't really anything special, the model was drawn poorly at parts. I did enjoy the Long Dreams section, however. I think the buildup to the end was well done.

Sep 23, 2019 1:07 PM

Apr 2012
The story of the fashion model was underwhelming. It was just a straight up "I'm a monster, now scream and die" sort of thing. Meh... Her design though was really disturbing and creepy. I was hoping for some mind boggling twist like she's actually not the monster but rather it's "us/society" made her to be the monster kind of thing. This story just gave a whole new meaning to the saying "Don't judge book by its cover."
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE SIDE

Andru230 - May 12

4 by Andru230 »»
May 15, 2:56 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

86 by Andru230 »»
May 12, 8:03 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2018

93 by Cyberdre4ms »»
Apr 30, 4:01 PM

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2018

238 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 22, 1:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.