Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 6, 2017 7:49 AM

Oct 2014
horrify said:
I need the Nemophila Menziesii field (Blue flowers) song to live.

Does anyone know what it is?

SAAAAMEEEEE that song was so beautiful

How rare and beautiful it is to even exist.

Nov 6, 2017 2:03 PM
Apr 2014
dc22 said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
I finally understand what's been irking me about this anime.
Everything (aside from some of the fantasy elements) is completely conventional: the art, the character designs, their personalities, the stories. It feels like the creator took a basic formula from classic fantasy children's books, and just followed it to the tea.
Which is especially disappointing for someone like me who's watched so many unconventional anime.

Yep that's what I think, it's pretty but bland.

It’s anything but bland. I for one have not seen an anime that has Celtic based fantasy.
Nov 6, 2017 3:11 PM

Aug 2015
Sad and beautiful at the same time. Was that Eden? Anyway, I wouldn't forgive Matthew's idiot.
Nov 6, 2017 3:41 PM

Oct 2013
AquaWateria said:
dc22 said:

It’s anything but bland. I for one have not seen an anime that has Celtic based fantasy.

K then you didn't watch Little Witch Academia.
Nov 6, 2017 10:38 PM

Oct 2008
That was an intense a bit despair-scary episode but the end was beautiful!
4/5.

Nov 7, 2017 12:04 AM
Jul 2015
I wasn't sure how I felt about this show, but I think this episode made it for me. It's so damn beautiful! Tim is a bamf. But, let's be real, cats are assholes.
Nov 7, 2017 12:27 AM
Oct 2017
OMG
watching the episode be like :
DONTCHA DARE KILLING MOLLY ← dread
... THEYRE KILLING MOLLY NO ← teary eyes
And Chise comes up with some plan ← gasp
Molly is saved ! Anime is saved !!! Cats make me SO EmoTionAL ffs

Now let's fear for our lives over the next preview
Nov 7, 2017 3:57 AM

Sep 2014
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
dc22 said:

No, I wouldn't say "bland" or "generic".
The Ancient Magus's Bride feels like the writer came up with all these insanely awesome ideas, but the publishers told them to water it down to the cool fantasy elements, to be more conventional.

Everything could be considered conventional to some degrees. I won't deny that MnY took that way too, but the main focus of the series is a slice of life which is not really common in fantasy anime. What I mean is that the combination of the setting and the story of the anime makes the conventional element appear differently. I'm more willing to accept and enjoy an episode like this in an anime like MnY rather than in an anime like SAO for example.

MnY is already quite unique, so I don't think it is necessarily obligated to be a lot more unique in its story-telling.
Nov 7, 2017 9:03 AM

Jan 2013
Twas a very powerful episode. I loved that they kept the violence up though. But killing cats is beyond fucked up.

The story was sad asf but came to a great conclusion
Nov 7, 2017 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
that was sad..

I already get the feeling that it's Matthew the cat killer.

Chise should tell Elias about the white haired sorcerer, she's too dangerous to wander around. I bet she did similar things like that everytime she wander around.
Nov 7, 2017 2:30 PM

Aug 2015
What an emotional episode. Tragic, really.
Nov 7, 2017 2:38 PM

May 2017
God that was a good episode. I was not expecting much when I started this anime, the premise and art seemed interesting,
and the OVA was really fucking sad, but wow this is good.
I love that we were given a cat world so early lol cats and magic just go hand in hand and I love it.
The story was amazing. I love how it introduces new characters, demons even, and just gives us enough to wonder, yet keeps our attention on the story of the man and woman and the cats. This was a pretty awesome episode. Best one as of yet.
Nov 7, 2017 6:40 PM

Jan 2014
That was definitely a death flag at the very end of this episode. RIP Chise.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 7, 2017 11:16 PM

Jun 2017
What a fantastic episode. The reunion scene at the end with the background music brought some heavy feels. Hopefully some of the later episodes are similar to this because the development and emotion was superb.
Though we are parted,
If on Mount Inaba's peak
I should hear the sound
Of the pine trees growing there,
I'll come back again to you.
Nov 8, 2017 12:20 AM

Mar 2017
Great episode, although it left me wondering, is butchering cats worse than butchering any other animal? if the butchering part really creeps any omnivores out then maybe they should reconsider eating meat.
Nov 8, 2017 7:50 AM

Apr 2015
Decent episode
The song was good, buildup was OK, but the couple's story wasn't particularly likable and/or sad enough. Takes away a bit
Nov 8, 2017 6:20 PM

Jul 2012
The shed scene was hard to watch. I was shuddering ><
We're probably going to see that sorcerer again in a later episode, and I'm not looking forward to it. So evil...

The ending scene was beautiful. Seems like Chise is started to see life in another light.

OH, and the insert song in the end was great! I'm really looking forward to listening to the soundtrack when it's out :)
AndoNov 8, 2017 6:25 PM
Nov 9, 2017 1:16 AM
Oct 2015
That vocal ost hit me pretty hard with the 'feels'
Heckle was here...
Nov 10, 2017 4:48 AM

Mar 2014
It was really disturbing realizing that Matthew killed the cats because Mina certainly wouldn't have wanted that. Chise seems like a very good-hearted person. I am really interested in her past so I hope we get to know what's up sometime soon.
Nov 10, 2017 11:14 PM

Jan 2017
I love cats... Damn Cartaphilus... hahaha
Anyways, this episode is beautifully sad...
And I like the color of the Cat King, when I was reading the manga I thought she/he is plain white.
Nov 11, 2017 9:28 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
nice and happines resolution for this small arc!!!!
The lovers story was sad, but the man was cheated by this sorcerer!!!
Nov 11, 2017 3:40 PM
May 2017
All aboard the feels train.
Nov 11, 2017 8:34 PM
Mar 2012
Unnerving wood scene, the atmosphere sound & jump cut all gave their horror. Tho he's tricked still no pity for Matthew. Chise the onmyouji doesn't cleanse them but has Ariel turn them into seeds/petals. Interesting to see Chise's resolve & changes, not just self loathing.
Nov 12, 2017 6:37 AM
Jul 2018
Matthew is a worldwide fool to very easily trust that sorcerer. Digging your own grave, what else can I say.
Nov 12, 2017 7:34 AM
Oct 2016
What was this episode? I disliked it. Was it Mina's first time to drink that potion? What if she had drunk it at home in the bed with not knowing anything and no tears?
Nov 12, 2017 9:45 PM

Jan 2013
As i've said previously, it was a test for her and she passed it. I like how honest her answer was, yet being so true.
What a sad story...like damn, i wasn't expecting something so sad. But he did that to save her, all he did was just to try to save her, but he got tricked by that sorcerer. What a tragic story, at least they are free now.
Absolutely in love with this anime, the art, the designs, everything is so amazing.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Nov 13, 2017 1:51 AM
Nov 2017
It was very heart warming when chise ignored what the sorcerers told her about Elias

But I have to admit I luaphed when mina just melted that quick and how the little sorcerer acted
Nov 14, 2017 9:19 AM

Oct 2017
I am loving this.

Only problem I have is that the husband got a nicer fate than he deserved. Much nicer.

But then, I'm a cat lover.
Nov 15, 2017 1:46 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty dark episode really showing the effects of love on someone who knows there is nothing they can do in their current state or with their current power level. Goddamn the wandering sorcerer, what a cuck
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 15, 2017 8:21 PM

Sep 2015
So damn edgy. Didn't expect that. Not just the serious and unpleasant plot. But the serious gore and disturbing imagery as well. Didn't think my jaw could go any lower. When the girl just straight up exploded all over crazy man. I didn't know how I felt about the previous episode. But this was one of my favorites so far. Wonder if that little shit evil mage kid will come back?
Nov 16, 2017 1:57 AM

Jul 2009
What a sad story that couple had thanks to that awful wizard, he just used them to make an experience...
Nov 17, 2017 9:40 AM
Sep 2017
interesting

this is my favourite anime
Nov 23, 2017 9:33 AM

May 2015
Killer Cats ftw. s
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 3, 2017 2:20 AM

Mar 2010
TheCatlover192 said:
I've been reading the comments on here and I keep thinking to myself "Are we really going to ignore the fact that Matthew is an insane lunatic?"

I get that he really loves Mina and would do anything for her. I get that he was tricked by the sorcerer. However, he killed cats knowing that Mina liked them and would probably not be happy seeing them get killed. And what happens when she finds out?

HE DOESN'T FUCKING BAT AN EYE.

Maybe I'm a bit biased here, what with my username and all, but if I were in Mina's position and I reunited with Matthew, I'd tell him to go fuck himself.

i'm glad someone else said it. i don't care if he was tricked, i cannot stand matthew and i'm honestly pissed off by this ending where he gets to live happily ever after. it irritated me to all hell, the guy doesn't even acknowledge any wrongdoing whatsoever. there is zero fucking redemption. he just sees mina and is like OH WHERE WERE YOU?!?! i wanted to punch his goddamn teeth out.
Dec 5, 2017 3:44 AM

Jul 2015
Damn... when Mina turned into goo from drinking the blood. It messed me. Sad for that to happen to a couple that loved each other so much.
Then there's Matthew literally losing his mind... weep.
Great episode, am enjoying the series
Dec 6, 2017 1:57 AM

Mar 2014
That insert song and the final scene were amazing.
Dec 13, 2017 4:10 PM

Oct 2012
This series is all imagery and then the story goes in the drain... yeah, it's honestly nice looking and it has great atmosphere that's very thoughtprovoking but on the other hand it leaves many things unexplained and vain - way too many things to my taste.

What actually happened in the end? What purpose the king cat served if Chise was the one doing ferryman? Why did she took them to her inner mind before she let them go, how exactly did she did it (whatever she asked the fairy for, she clearly wouldn't be able to even think about that with no propor magic education). They clearly left everything to viewer to interpret it (and it may seem cool to you because those are your own ideas) but in doing so they manage to avoid all the answers.. as they did several times before.
Very easy way out I would say.

For what Matthew did, I found it really annoying that she wanted give him a peace - after what she saw the story wasn't lined up for happy-end (or did she think it was all just ill-will of that evil mage? cause if anyone he's is the one who should be punished for what happened)

And as far as Elias goes I found it extremely jarring that she declared she would be staying by his side even when she learned of her mortality and that he is basically only using her only as a tool. She didn't even questioned that in any way. Either she doesn't want to live or not, either this series is about fatalism or about hope but not both! That scene certainly lacked proper build-up for her to do that.
Dec 18, 2017 1:49 PM

Mar 2012
I know the Matthew guy was desperate to save his waifu but dam is he stupid for believing the sketchy mage. Also doesn't know how to lock a door apparently.
Dec 18, 2017 9:46 PM

Jan 2013
Sufficiently dark story, ended up being more interesting than I thought part way through.
Jan 2, 2018 2:23 PM
Apr 2014
omfg I was so scared for the cat the whole time. They set so many death flags and almost went through with it. Glad Chise saved her from sacrificing herself.

The interruption at the end of the last ep and beginning of this one was kinda out of place though. I mean it was nice to see her resolve but how was that the end of it? First those two talk big and then they just fuck off when they are told to do so? Might as well have skipped that part in its entirety and just go through with the cleansing.
Feb 17, 2018 3:34 PM
Oct 2017
Well that was sad, I’m sure that we’ll see that Alchemist from the past again.
Feb 21, 2018 7:49 AM

Dec 2014
i dont know if i like this series i mean from where did she even pull the last minute plan of saving molly and Matthew then suddenly u c the aerial praising chise for telling the aerial whats she's capable of. Other than this glaring issue i think it was a good episode. still though i have a hard time accepting chise as main character, In the ova she had a far better and believable personality..
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Mar 15, 2018 8:49 AM

Dec 2016
Now I understand why Matthew became like that... the sorcerer manipulated his mind! My heart got crushed not only for Matthew killing those cats but for the fact he decided to do what he did believing he could save his wife. The moment when Mina exploded that black liquid caught me off guard. What a tragic ending those two got :( Hoping Chise will make a stop to that evil sorcerer if she'll find him again before he will sacrifice more lives with those kind of experiments.
PurpleGirl203Mar 15, 2018 8:53 AM

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Mar 22, 2018 7:31 PM

Oct 2013
That was powerful...

I get the feeling this series is taking the Mushishi route, dedicating every episode or mini-arc on solving the ecosystem. I don't know if that's good or bad; we'll see how it holds up. So far the series hasn't hooked me the way it has others, but this might have been the best episode yet.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 27, 2018 6:35 PM

Feb 2014
oh well.. so this anime is revealing his true colors? I was expecting more... guess this will based in nonsense stupid gore drama.
Mar 29, 2018 3:15 AM
Jun 2017
A lot of death in this series and it's only been 5 episodes.
Apr 9, 2018 3:28 AM

Aug 2010
Cat killer got much better ending than he deserved.
Apr 12, 2018 9:20 AM

Apr 2009
That's why the cats distrust and hates the sorcerers guts, one of them started this mess as an experiment and it ended in failure. Just another research material for these scientists..uhm sorcerers. LOL

So she's fated to die soon because her body can't handle her friggin' nuclear fusion of unlimited magical energy supply? O_o Well that sucks.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 9, 2018 9:26 PM

May 2012
Quite the dark yet very lovely episode. That ending was just too great! Chise is really getting a hang of it and well it makes it all the better.

Really looking forwards to see what happens next to be honest but well I am really starting to love this anime.
Oct 3, 2018 1:43 AM

Jun 2009
I had a good feeling about this anime back when I was seeing some images and such when Random Curiosity was covering it and, so far, it's living up to that feeling. What I don't really get is the "it's not unique" crow, yeah maybe the themes of death and Chise growing to perhaps value her life now that it is in danger has been done before but....so what? It has so far been pretty interesting how the subject is handled I think the dragon and cat arcs have done a good job of supplementing that point. Some great imagery and music too.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

375 by yelansh »»
Mar 30, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

266 by NotBonBon »»
Mar 24, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

81 by hales_comet »»
Feb 22, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

247 by hales_comet »»
Feb 21, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

119 by Thaliel »»
Dec 18, 2023 11:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.