Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2016 5:40 PM

Oct 2015
3/5. looking what happen in the next episode.
Jan 6, 2016 5:43 PM

Oct 2015
Okay start. I like Chika's character so far (and her eyes look cool to me). Kinda meh on Haruta because of his smartass attitude. The love triangle is rather... interesting.

It took a while for me to figure out the mystery part mainly because I have absolute pitch and personally never use solfege >_<

Anyways, I shall cautiously proceed with this show xP
Jan 6, 2016 5:54 PM

Aug 2015
Wow...going head-first into this love triangle are we?

Even the camera framing are getting into this act...a stereotypical upward pan, only to reveal two birds circling around an overhead plane (ooooooo symbolism LOL).

Hell, even the TREES are getting into the act...subtle NOT.

Anime talk, music and analysis, plus random moments of inspirations and rants | https://atmafunomena.wordpress.com/
Jan 6, 2016 5:56 PM

Mar 2014
biblicalgunga said:

It's not Homophobic just because someone wants to watch a Boy x Girl romance, stop crying about PC.

you cant really speak for everyone though...there was someone on the first page who dropped it immediately when haruta came out with how he liked kusakabe? the majority of complaints arent directed towards homura either; the disdainful reaction is rooted in harutas crush on his teacher so its kind of a double standard. im assuming boy x girl means homura x haruta in most peoples cases right? if people didnt get what they were expecting then why is it that everyone is discussing harutas sexuality? bigger problem is that this is actually proceeding towards pedophilia...
Jan 6, 2016 6:06 PM

Feb 2015
That twist at the end, nice! I wonder how things will go for Chika and Haruta from now on.
Poor Chika though.. I doubt she'll ever be the "cute girl" shes struggling to become. Her personality isn't going to let her.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Jan 6, 2016 6:14 PM

Sep 2010
LoomyTheBrew said:
Ah buzzkill. Well, I guess it's good to know now than later. I hate student-teacher "relationships" because it will never happen and if it did happen, it definitely would be a very complicated and probably messed up one.

So basically, there will be no romance than the simple "I have a crush on my teacher!!!" Unless the MC is bi and starts to fall in love with the MH down the line. I'd be fine with the MC being gay if he was actually interested in other students and if the girl was interested in other boys that aren't teachers...

It's a mystery novel with original josei-like cover designs. This isn't a high school cutesy moe LN garbage boy+girl romance despite the odd choice of design change for the anime adaptation. The boy is like Sherlock (the hero of the story) and the girl is the Watson (the narrator/audience surrogate). There's really no romance besides their interest in the teacher and the focus is elsewhere.

I actually find it refreshing to have a series focusing on friendship (and sometimes rivalry) between a boy and a girl. It's a rare gem, I hope they don't drop the ball in this.
ThessJan 6, 2016 6:20 PM
Jan 6, 2016 6:20 PM

Jan 2013
Look at all the whiny babies bawling in this thread. What a beautiful way to start the year.
Jan 6, 2016 6:22 PM

Dec 2013
LoomyTheBrew said:
Ah buzzkill. Well, I guess it's good to know now than later. I hate student-teacher "relationships" because it will never happen and if it did happen, it definitely would be a very complicated and probably messed up one.
You should watch Onegai Teacher. Because, you know, it happened there.
Jan 6, 2016 6:23 PM

Mar 2013
Thess said:
It's a mystery novel with original josei-like cover designs. This isn't a high school cutesy moe LN garbage boy+girl romance despite the odd choice of design change for the anime adaptation. The boy is like Sherlock (the hero of the story) and the girl is the Watson (the narrator/audience surrogate). There's really no romance besides their interest in the teacher and the focus is elsewhere.

Pretty much. I'm glad someone pointed this out. Stop crying already.
Jan 6, 2016 6:25 PM

Sep 2010
Aquane said:
Look at all the whiny babies bawling in this thread. What a beautiful way to start the year.

The whining is hilarious. This isn't shounen ai because the focus isn't in the romance. It's a mystery novel where the protagonist just happens to be gay. Should Shiki anime be labelled as "shounen ai" because his protagonist is gay too? Nope.

Original designs, so people understand that the content isn't supposed to be a moeblob show, but well this studio seems to like this style (not that I mind because I like their works).
Jan 6, 2016 6:27 PM

Oct 2009
Sokah said:
Bren said:
It's always awesome to see that the people here are more bothered by a character being gay rather than their crush being an adult. ^^'

I'm sorry to hear there weren't any hot teachers at your school during your turbulent hormonal teen years.

Oh trust me there were. But those were literally just 'crushes'. And I'm honestly fine with both characters feeling that way about the teacher as it's something that's not going to go far in the anime anways. It's just the idea that people would be more fine with something like that actually becoming canon rather than a guy being gay that bothers me.
BrenJan 6, 2016 6:33 PM
Jan 6, 2016 6:34 PM

Dec 2013
Honestly, it makes me really happy to see a gay male main character in a "normal" show which isn't advertised everywhere as a yaoi or shounen-ai. It's refreshing to see it be somewhat more normalized here and I'm glad they didn't tiptoe around it for a long time.
Anyway, I'm really interested to see where this is heading.

Jul 2015
Hmm. Pretty interesting start. I like character design specially the eyes look really cool. So Haruta is gay huh. Honestly I don't see why people are making such a big deal. Let's just see where this goes from here

Sep 2010
Katsura said:
Honestly, it makes me really happy to see a gay male main character in a "normal" show which isn't advertised everywhere as a yaoi or shounen-ai. It's refreshing to see it be somewhat more normalized here and I'm glad they didn't tiptoe around it for a long time.

Watch Shiki. The protagonist is gay and in love with his best friend (although his feelings are unrequited and not the focus of the show: it's a horror, vampire show). But they are kind of important because

Shiki is also based on a novel originally. Novels, unlike LN, don't shy from gay characters. Because the readers buy for the content, not because of a quick read with questionable quality (sometimes good and sometimes bad).
ThessJan 6, 2016 6:40 PM
Jan 6, 2016 6:40 PM

Jul 2013
LOL that was fun :d

Wasn't really that attractive 1st episode so one can't decide if he'll continue watching it yet.

I was like

and really lol Male/Female Student/Teacher Romance mostly don't end up well just think about how will this Male(Student)/Male(Teacher) shipwreck
Jan 6, 2016 6:41 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Thess said:

Original designs, so people understand that the content isn't supposed to be a moeblob show, but well this studio seems to like this style (not that I mind because I like their works).
fuckin PA Works and their obligatory moeblob character designs.
Jan 6, 2016 6:43 PM

Sep 2010
DatRandomDude said:
fuckin PA Works and their moeblob character designs.

I think they look cute, besides I would pick them because I'm not sure if they can animate those designs without looking awkward. They are more used to the moeblob vibe.
Jan 6, 2016 6:43 PM

Jul 2013
[quote=DatRandomDude]
Thess said:

Are those the infamous Yaoi Hands ? :d jk
Jan 6, 2016 6:44 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Thess said:
DatRandomDude said:
fuckin PA Works and their moeblob character designs.

I think they look cute, besides I would pick them because I'm not sure if they can animate those designs without looking awkward. They are more used to the moeblob vibe.
well, not obligated to be like that, i don't ask something like ping-pong. :| but you know ... the difference between how they look in this picture and in the anime is huge.
Jan 6, 2016 6:46 PM

Jun 2013
Definitely not perfect,but I think this has a lot of potential! :)

Sep 2010
They are slender-josei style. There's another design that I think it's from the manga where Haru is a willowy blond bishounen.

Jan 2011
well that was an unexpected ending can't stop staring at dem eyes! doe

bar wasn't really set high most likely will end up watching it but i have to say for PA Works animation /budget seems kinda low for this which might explain why i saw JC.Staff and others in the credits

but hey Fhana hype!
Jan 6, 2016 6:59 PM

Mar 2013
Pretty good start. Chika's eyes scared me at first but i easily get used to it. And fhana's song awesome as always. Now i'm excited to hear Chouchou's song nxt week.

I don't mind the gay, the only problem is..
Chibi-Alice said:
Hanae Natsuki's voice does not fit the role of the teacher at all x)
Jan 6, 2016 7:01 PM
May 2015
Interesting first episode, remind me so much Hyouka.
Btw, I'm bit confused, is Haruta gay/bisexual or not...?
Jan 6, 2016 7:07 PM

Sep 2010
Amanda-san said:

He's Chika's sassy gay friend.
Jan 6, 2016 7:08 PM

Oct 2008
>All these complaints about one of the main characters being gay/bi
>No valid complaints at all like the horrible animation quality in the FIRST episode and CGI
>"Uwaa the main character is gay it hurts me"

Love how some of the complainers were also pedophiles.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jan 6, 2016 7:09 PM

Jul 2012
Designs are very nice! Everything about it - typography of the logo, character designs, and scenery. I also really like the music, which they did a great job at. I'm used to the weird eye design already!

Not gonna read most of the comments in this thread because it'll be homophobic probably. lol Seriously, nobody would have an issue if it was two females aiming for the teacher. Think about it. @Tyrel's comment in this page: But the thing is, this show isn't even romance. lol It's something that's on the side. How are people getting bothered over a side plot?

Natsuki Hanae... Why... Why did they let him voice an older teacher LOL. So unfitting! Everyone else sounds SUPER fitting except for him.

Looking forward to more!

Katsura said:
+1 YES.

LittleStar said:
Arima Kousei become music teacher :)
THIS
MayukaJan 6, 2016 7:12 PM
Jan 6, 2016 7:26 PM
May 2015
Thess said:
Amanda-san said:

He's Chika's sassy gay friend.

probabyly yes, lol.
Jan 6, 2016 7:34 PM

Feb 2014
HAAAAA. GAAAAAAAAAAY
lmao that ep was okay but that love triangle, nice twist.

Hopefully things will get more interesting
Tokoya said:
adapatations are not supposed to be carbon copies of source materials and until the anime community in general can accept that and judge an anime based on what it presents and how they handle every episode, these threads will continue to be filled with hate posts by purists
Jan 6, 2016 7:37 PM

May 2009
DatRandomDude said:
Thess said:

fuckin PA Works and their obligatory moeblob character designs.

THOSE AREN'T ORIGINAL DESIGNS
ORIGINAL COVERS DIDN'T EVEN HAVE DRAWN PEOPLE ON IT
It's novel series not LN, there are no canon illustrations.
Jan 6, 2016 7:41 PM

Jun 2015
I am liking the show so far.

Katsura said:

It is really nice to see.
:)
Jan 6, 2016 7:46 PM

Sep 2010
bastek66 said:

Don't yell. They are the first illustrations and covers based the descriptions of the novels (not sure why they made Haru a blond, btw, because iirc, nobody in the novel has strange hair colors) which predated the anime design and is more fit to the atmosphere of the story, IMO. I like the moe style because of the studio, but in hands of another one it'll be a miss.
Jan 6, 2016 7:49 PM

Jul 2012
Thess said:
not sure why they made Haru a blond
Artist's decision. It makes sense honestly. If you have two protags, they should have different hair colours or else the show will have less appeal.
Jan 6, 2016 7:51 PM

Sep 2010
Mayuka said:
Thess said:
not sure why they made Haru a blond
Artist's decision. It makes sense honestly. If you have two protags, they should have different hair colours or else the show will have less appeal.

I suppose visually. But all the people in the novel were described with dark eyes and hair? No silver haired with purple eyes here. That might be boring to put in an anime, tho.
Jan 6, 2016 7:55 PM

Jul 2012
Thess said:
Mayuka said:

I suppose visually. But all the people in the novel were described with dark eyes and hair? No silver haired with purple eyes here. That might be boring to put in an anime, tho.
Exactly. They changed it to make it look more appealing to the general audience. If it has realistic designs, the fanbase will be smaller.
Jan 6, 2016 7:58 PM

Nov 2009
The sneeze scene with the volleyball club members was the best part.
Jan 6, 2016 8:04 PM

Apr 2011
what the fuuu..? Are you kidding me?
Jan 6, 2016 8:18 PM

Feb 2012
homophobia haha xD .. sigh
and the funny thing is that the show is probably going for the ''rivals become lovers'' category, making Haruta bi or just confused-straight .. heck it may even not focus on romance at all (or only just a bit as I see now the romance tag..) anyways just from one episode we can't tell. It's not always necessary for the main heroine and hero ending up together, people~
That said, I wouldn't mind Chika x Haruta to happen but I wouldn't mind Haruta being gay and not ending up with Chica either :P
I enjoyed first episode, love to see more~
SakonkeKojiJan 6, 2016 8:30 PM
Jan 6, 2016 8:37 PM

Feb 2014
That's a lot of mystery for Chika's first day in the club. And the mystery sounds forced. I like the anime so far.

I'm confused what Haruta said at the end. Is he in love with the teacher?

Nice opening theme by my favourite band, fhána! (Niji wo Ametara)
Jan 6, 2016 8:41 PM

Jul 2012
tetrix1993 said:
I'm confused what Haruta said at the end. Is he in love with the teacher?
Yep. He declared him and Chika as love rivals.
Jan 6, 2016 8:45 PM

Aug 2015
I think I fell asleep at 14 minute mark.
Jan 6, 2016 9:13 PM
May 2015
how come nobody has noticed the extensive use of cg. I assume everybody is too distracted by harutas gayness.
Jan 6, 2016 9:27 PM

Apr 2010
I can smell the yaoi ero-doujins already.

Jan 6, 2016 9:44 PM
Nov 2014
I was pretty hype for this anime. At first, I liked it. But the teacher-student relationship killed me. RIP. Dropping
Jan 6, 2016 10:03 PM

Nov 2010
Oh shit, that was boring. couldn't get though it.
Maybe i was kinda tired but still, it was bad.
Jan 6, 2016 10:07 PM

Jan 2011
straggy said:
Ah, loving all the homophobia so far in this thread. A++, stay classy MAL.

While true with some comments, not the case with others. My case in point, don't have a problem with a dude liking a dude but I'm not going to watch a tv show that showcases romance between two dudes for the simple reason of that don't float my boat. But I don't think teacher is gay so it's prob a non issue and it prob would of been tagged a genre if it was anything significant.

All that said, Chika's eyes are freaking gorgeous. Not a bad episode. Will see where this goes. I hope it's not a snooze fest and turns into something interesting.
Jan 6, 2016 10:22 PM

Jul 2012
IZEROII said:
I'm not going to watch a tv show that showcases romance between two dudes for the simple reason of that don't float my boat.
No, that is homophobia. If you are intentionally avoiding a show that is not romance focused because it bothers you to see someone gay, then that's being phobic of the homosexuality.

The show is not forcing a pairing on you. It's just an idea on the side. The main focus is on the mysteries and band/music so dropping something like this because there's a gay character is being homophobic. If Haru was a girl who had a crush on Sensei, then it would not be a reason for you to drop it.
Jan 6, 2016 10:24 PM
Dec 2011
DatRandomDude said:
Thess said:

well, not obligated to be like that, i don't ask something like ping-pong. :| but you know ... the difference between how they look in this picture and in the anime is huge.

Thess said:
bastek66 said:

Don't yell. They are the first illustrations and covers based the descriptions of the novels (not sure why they made Haru a blond, btw, because iirc, nobody in the novel has strange hair colors) which predated the anime design and is more fit to the atmosphere of the story, IMO. I like the moe style because of the studio, but in hands of another one it'll be a miss.

The first design of novel is a real live picture, not this one.

There are bunch of different design cover for the novel, even when it goes to Taiwan, Taiwan publisher give it a new design again.

Jan 6, 2016 10:46 PM

Jun 2014
This thread LOL.

Well I don't even watch yaoi or shounen-ai but I think this turn of event is actually quite interesting. Also I watch it for the mystery since it seems the novel got some award for it.

In conclusion this was a pretty decent episode, I liked the mystery since I actually have some knowledge in music.
Jan 6, 2016 10:54 PM

Jan 2014
Like many other people, I hope that the MC (Haruta) is only in love with the teacher in an 'Admiration' or 'Inspirational' kind of way. Besides that, I have nothing against him being gay at all.

Pretty decent episode. The art will take some time getting used too.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something....

yukiyamayui - Nov 16, 2023

0 by yukiyamayui »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

124 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 PM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2016

126 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 24, 2022 9:16 PM

» Why is HaruChika's rating so low

ChrisAMV - Mar 5, 2016

41 by PowerMinerYT »»
Jun 15, 2022 3:06 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2016

86 by luminality »»
Oct 1, 2021 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.