Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2014 11:37 AM

Sep 2013
Was pretty cool but way too fast at some points. I didn't read the manga but it felt kinda rushed even to me, as if some parts are just missing.

Nice entry episode. Okay but unnoticable OST, decent animation and a nice, eerie downtown feeling. I love such settings.
Jul 3, 2014 11:41 AM

Jun 2013
As a fan of the manga I was not all that impressed. 5 and a half chapters (not even the whole of any of the chapters) in one episode screams only 12-13 episode.

Aside from that is was a OK IMHO 3/5, maybe 2.5/5.

Complaints.

A lot of good scene missing in favor of gore (well they have to attract an audience) but taking out some of the monologuing especially on the Black Goat's Egg and no coffee scene was really killing it for me, and making Touka seem so sympathetic so early(I already miss my harsh and hostile Touka that didn't give a shit) sigh, this episode probably covered some 3 weeks. This was very fast paced.

Then making Kaneki isolate himself so damn early, his character fell for me by just that one scene.

Only good thing was animation and OST.

Makes me wonder if they are only going to focus on the gore and fighting which is only a part of it and leave out all the psychological parts all the time.

I know some things would have been change but this is way too much (though the trailer did hint on it).

Sorry just a disappointed fan of the manga complaining.
Jul 3, 2014 11:41 AM

Jun 2014
Very beautiful. I like how in this set-up the ghouls' existence is widely known to humans. In most other shows, the humanoid monsters existence is hidden.

Sad that the only human main character now is Hide. I was hoping that at least the short-haired waitress would be human. And Rize was pretty badass, but they really killed her off in episode 1?

And lol "Akatsuki book signing"
Jul 3, 2014 11:42 AM

Jul 2013
Not bad. The animation is definitely top notch although the amount of censoring is bothering me. With how brutal this show is, it's bound to be a constant annoyance.

Let's just hope this doesn't turn into a Brynhildr/Black Bullet with ridiculous plot holes and deus ex machina. If there's one thing needed to be addressed is that shady doctor who implanted the ghoul's organ into the MC. Hopefully it's not something along the line of "I'm curious so I did it as an experiment" or some sort.
Jul 3, 2014 11:43 AM
Feb 2013
First episode was fantastic! The only minor concern I have is the censoring which is reminiscent of Deadman Wonderlan. I hope it won't ruin the experience. Otherwise it was the perfect episode to start a gruesome psychological horror anime. Let the eating begin!
Jul 3, 2014 11:44 AM

Oct 2013
Shit,that was creepy as hell(which goes to the show's credit,of course). It show's how one's supposed to feel when he realizes he's now a flesh eating monsters. Hell,this could've worked with vampires too but they took it to the next level with flesh-eating ghouls(even though a single body can sustain them for so long).

Now I just hope it's gonna keep it's serious tone throughout it's run. If it does,it's gonna creep the shit out of me,but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Jul 3, 2014 11:45 AM
Jan 2014
Seriously I know this shit just started but I just can't wait, judging from the synopsis and the first episode, this is surely going to be one hell of an anime, as masterpiece I suppose.
Jul 3, 2014 11:45 AM
Oct 2010
Decent start, I hope it stays interesting.
Jul 3, 2014 11:50 AM

Aug 2013
Animation is horrible.
Backgrounds are horrible.
Story is average, but rather not my taste.
I will wait till next week episode, but probably drop.
2/5
rsc-plJul 3, 2014 11:58 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 3, 2014 11:54 AM

Aug 2012
Urek said:
FrancWyvern said:

- Main character clearly got a big piece of his shoulder taken by a bite in a region where people are frequently being eaten alive and no one cares about it.
- The authorities clearly have a certain level of information about how the Ghouls work, but no one noticed that the girl was a Ghoul during the surgery or the autopsy.
- The protagonist, the doctor and the mc best friend completely ignores the girl who died right besides him
- Doctor makes an unauthorized transplant on the mc and says he's going to take full responsibility. Don't tell mc about the transplant and acts as the girl (which the main character would likely know) who died besides him never existed.
- No one questioned the two teenagers alone on a construction ground at night.
- If the Ghouls can't be hurt by normal weapons, how did the girl died? Does that only count when convenient?

to answer your questions

My main problem with 3 was that no one talked about here anymore during the episode. But thanks for the other answers.

[quote=Amarrez]
FrancWyvern said:
Amarrez said:

Such as

- Main character clearly got a big piece of his shoulder taken by a bite in a region where people are frequently being eaten alive and no one cares about it.
- The authorities clearly have a certain level of information about how the Ghouls work, but no one noticed that the girl was a Ghoul during the surgery or the autopsy.
- The protagonist, the doctor and the mc best friend completely ignores the girl who died right besides him
- Doctor makes an unauthorized transplant on the mc and says he's going to take full responsibility. Don't tell mc about the transplant and acts as the girl (which the main character would likely know) who died besides him never existed.
- No one questioned the two teenagers alone on a construction ground at night.
- If the Ghouls can't be hurt by normal weapons, how did the girl died? Does that only count when convenient?

No one said the ghouls can't be hurt by normal weapons, but simple kitchen knives aren't going to do much. Having a tonne of steel drop on you would.

Mod Note: Quote of plot spoiler from much later in manga removed.
rodacJul 4, 2014 12:11 AM
Jul 3, 2014 11:55 AM

Jun 2014
epic 1st episode, i loved it
Jul 3, 2014 11:55 AM

Feb 2014
This show is messed up and cool. The pacing for me was good as someone who hasn't read the manga.
Jul 3, 2014 11:56 AM

Mar 2008
rsc-pl said:
Animation is horrible.
Story is average, bot rather not my taste.
2/5

wait what? how was the animation horrible?
If you think THAT is horrible just how high are you standards?
Jul 3, 2014 11:57 AM

Apr 2014
I'm now up to date with the manga just to watch Tokyo Ghoul and I am very pleased by the first ep so far. It seems promising and I am excited for what to come in the future. The manga is amazing and I have high hopes for this anime. I think its going to be even better than the manga. Oh and my Ken is looking badass with that one eye. Can't wait to see him in action with the mask and white hair. I'm gonna fan girl so hard.
Jul 3, 2014 11:58 AM
Oct 2010
AikaKateshiki said:
AikaKateshiki said:
I'm going crazy. This was the anime I had been anticipating the most and yet the first episode felt totally off in comparison to the manga. The pacing is too fast, they're missing a lot of points and what's most serious is that they're missing the psychological side of all things; Kaneki finding out the truth about himself had deep influence and in here they barely showed him going through the tragedy. I'm really worried whether this'll turn out well.

I rewatched the whole thing again and I admit I wasn't as distressed as the first time. They sure are rushing things while missing plot points and changing the psychological view but I hope it will get better later on. I guess it was a pretty good episode if you ignore the fact they're not really following the manga well.

What did they miss? (spoiler tag it if you do answer)

Beside that, they showed an effective amount of tragedy for us to get the point IMO.
Jul 3, 2014 11:58 AM

Jul 2013
FrancWyvern said:

Well, that does explain a lot, lol.

DUDE at least remove his spoiler. seriously, this is a big mother******* spoiler, the translation part isnt even this far yet. you guys are now even spoiling the manga readers lol

Mod Note: Spoiler has been removed from a previous post. DO NOT REVEAL PLOT SPOILERS FROM THE MANGA!
rodacJul 4, 2014 12:15 AM
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jul 3, 2014 12:00 PM

May 2013
Wow that was interesting. I want to know more about these ghouls. This was a good first episode.
Jul 3, 2014 12:01 PM

Mar 2011
rsc-pl said:
Animation is horrible.
Story is average, but rather not my taste.
2/5

What is your standart for good animation?
Jul 3, 2014 12:02 PM

Dec 2013
precious said:
rsc-pl said:
Animation is horrible.
2/5

Sounds like everything needs to be No Game No Life or it sucks for him.
Jul 3, 2014 12:03 PM
Jul 2012
i havent read da manga n started off with da anime but da story seems very interesting~

"i wanna eat but if i eat i wont be a human no more!"
such strong words~
then BAM Toka forced on him T^T

cant wait for next week! :9
Jul 3, 2014 12:04 PM
Jul 2012
precious said:
rsc-pl said:
Animation is horrible.
2/5

exactly how was it horrible? @@
Jul 3, 2014 12:05 PM
Apr 2013
Really good and I thought the pace was good however i have not read the source material. Nice animation and characters so far.
Jul 3, 2014 12:07 PM

Aug 2013
Hibbington said:
precious said:

yeah? Just look at my rating for NGNL.

OK, sorry
maybe I went too far, I was not horrible, but I didn't like it. Comparing to other shows from this year (and few years back), the animation was just very average.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 3, 2014 12:07 PM

Jan 2014
This is probably one of the ones I am most excited about. I absolutely love horror, but it's hard to find any good ones. The premiere was pretty damn awesome!!

I love how they didn't take any time to get into everything. I figured the MC would be a big baby, so hopefully he'll toughen up as things go on. Looking forward to this one a lot!
Jul 3, 2014 12:08 PM
Jun 2014
Wow, when I read the description I was thinking about blood, and the first scene was full of it! It was awesome!

Also the animation and the OST is good, it's going to be one of the hits of the season IMO. But it would be great if it had more than 12 episodes.
Jul 3, 2014 12:08 PM

Dec 2012
FUCK YEAH!

Been waiting for this shit for the longest time...

*Good first ep, even though I pretty much predicted EVERYTHING that happend.

*Toka is so badass, already my fave.

*Fucking Kaneki, make up your mind Goddamit.
Jul 3, 2014 12:10 PM

Aug 2013
i liked it but damn at the end when the ending? op? started i got goosebumps
i hope after the first episode they get slower with the story
Jul 3, 2014 12:10 PM

Oct 2012
it finally begins~
awesome animations
the food eating part was intense
adaption looks great so far
cant wait for the next episode~
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Jul 3, 2014 12:11 PM

Aug 2013
Well, I dont yet know how I feel about this series. I haven't read the manga or NL or whatever this is based on and even I think it felt rushed. Well, I still enjoyed it so, time will tell.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2014 12:12 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
That was great episode 1. Finally something different from usual anime. I have high hopes for this ^^
Jul 3, 2014 12:16 PM

Apr 2013
rsc-pl said:
Hibbington said:

OK, sorry
maybe I went too far, I was not horrible, but I didn't like it. Comparing to other shows from this year (and few years back), the animation was just very average.

No it wasn't.
Jul 3, 2014 12:16 PM

Jan 2012
They skipped over too many interesting things! I was looking forward to seeing the restaurant scene with Hide, Kaneki making references of Black Goat's Egg plot and comparing himself to the protagonist and thus realizing how he was no longer human, but mostly the coffee scene...honestly, what will they do about this? At this rate, I'm no longer surprised if it's 12 episodes only.

Regardless of the fast pacing, the animation and OST were good.
"I don’t know what you want out of nationals, but who sets their goals on something anyone can go to? We try because it’s hard. It’s a dream because it takes a lot of work." - Jun Isashiki, Diamond no Ace S2E51.
Jul 3, 2014 12:22 PM
Jun 2014
Tokyo Ghoul is my start in this season and damn it's good! I'm so excited to get a gore anime of high quality again. The gore was excellent throughout the whole first episode, the start is outstanding. And yeah she's really sexy, hoping to see her again in the next episodes (i'm sure i will). Ending theme was cool, remembered me a bit of the first Psycho-Pass opening.

PetitFours said:
Not bad. I hope it doesn't rush like Gokukoku no Brynhildr and have a crappy anime ending.

This! It would break my heart.
Jul 3, 2014 12:25 PM

Sep 2013
they did change a little but at least it didn't feel rushed at all i'm liking it
Jul 3, 2014 12:26 PM

Dec 2013
rsc-pl said:
Hibbington said:

OK, sorry

Yeah I saw your rating on NGNL and signature, that's why i mentioned it -.^.
Besides that you showed good character that your able to retract/revise a statement.
Jul 3, 2014 12:27 PM

Feb 2014
I wanted blood and it gave me more then I expected in the first episode. I pray and hope there is more like that to come.

♪All his life has been, a roller coaster ride of dream
No time for looking back, forgetting who or what
His song is all that he leaves behind,
On silent nights I hear him still, whistling a tune I know so well
Gun in hand, rose in another, He's Lupin the 3rd♪

Jul 3, 2014 12:30 PM

Nov 2010
Great Start. well done.

i hope it get's better and better.
Jul 3, 2014 12:31 PM

Jun 2013
I also agree that this was rushed but I hope they slow the pace as this goes on.

Also this can't be only 12-13 episodes since

But if studio Pierrot only does 12-13 episodes I will be so mad since this would be rushed as hell.
Jul 3, 2014 12:32 PM

Oct 2013
ex_necross said:
This was okay, I suppose. It has all the makings of another overhyped SnK mess, though. Let's hope it doesn't get to that point.

So if the series is popular it will become a mess? What!? You people seriously don't make sense.
Jul 3, 2014 12:32 PM

Feb 2012
Something's off about this show. Despite the animation being pretty decent and the amount of blood on screen, I can't feel any horror vibes or any sort of style from the actual direction. It's like someone removed the sense of dread from Sidonia, except without the horrible CG animation, causing what should be interesting to end up bland and kind of rushed in places. I like the premise and what I've heard regarding future events to stick with this for now, but if the atmosphere continues to fail at drawing me in, I'll probably stop watching.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Jul 3, 2014 12:33 PM

May 2013
This show seems right up my alley. The girl being the ghoul was predictable though. I hope something caused the steel bars to fall because if that was just a coincidence I'm going to be a little annoyed. I like the animation and the art, all the characters look appealing to me. I loved the ending scene. Didn't feel rushed. Lol at all the manga people complaining. I know those feels though when I read the Magi manga halfway through the second season and saw my change in opinion.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jul 3, 2014 12:34 PM

Oct 2013
Flawfinder said:
Something's off about this show. Despite the animation being pretty decent and the amount of blood on screen, I can't feel any horror vibes or any sort of style from the actual direction. It's like someone removed the sense of dread from Sidonia, except without the horrible CG animation. I like the premise and what I've heard regarding future events to stick with this for now, but if the atmosphere continues to fail at drawing me in, I'll probably stop watching.

Keep watching it, it only gets better.
Jul 3, 2014 12:34 PM

Apr 2009
Hahaha, oh the edge~

I could predict every single plot point - from the twist regarding Ritz to MC's special condition to Toka's true identity. At least it had a fairly decent production. I will give it a few more episodes.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 3, 2014 12:36 PM

May 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Hahaha, oh the edge~

I could predict every single plot point - from the twist regarding Ritz to MC's special condition to Toka's true identity. At least it had a fairly decent production. I will give it a few more episodes.
Being edgy doesn't make something bad (if that's what you were implying). I agree it was predictable (I predicted everything also) but that doesn't make it bad either. It's all about the execution.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jul 3, 2014 12:36 PM

Feb 2012
keragamming said:
Flawfinder said:
Something's off about this show. Despite the animation being pretty decent and the amount of blood on screen, I can't feel any horror vibes or any sort of style from the actual direction. It's like someone removed the sense of dread from Sidonia, except without the horrible CG animation. I like the premise and what I've heard regarding future events to stick with this for now, but if the atmosphere continues to fail at drawing me in, I'll probably stop watching.

Keep watching it, it only gets better.

Well, my main issue is with the actual directing. I'm sure the manga is good and draws you in, but this is anime. Ah well. I'll see next week.
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Jul 3, 2014 12:38 PM

Apr 2009
Baku219 said:
Nidhoeggr said:
Hahaha, oh the edge~

Being edgy doesn't make something bad (if that's what you were implying). I agree it was predictable (I predicted everything also) but that doesn't make it bad either. It's all about the execution.

That's why I will give it a few more episodes. It's kinda average so far.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 3, 2014 12:38 PM

Feb 2012
Really promising first episode. I'm looking forward to this series now.
Jul 3, 2014 12:41 PM

Jun 2013
YumeHunter said:
I also agree that this was rushed but I hope they slow the pace as this goes on.

Also this can't be only 12-13 episodes since

But if studio Pierrot only does 12-13 episodes I will be so mad since this would be rushed as hell.

Of course I want to hope that they only did this to attract some viewers but I do not want to hold my breath for Tokyo Ghoul.
BeppyicxJul 3, 2014 12:47 PM
Jul 3, 2014 12:43 PM

Mar 2012
Wow the edge, I nearly cut myself in this one.

The execution was kinda nice at times. The OST and atmosphere is portrayed well and it looks good for a 2014 anime.

But horror and anime is a bad mix, and this is no exception. It seems so try hard, like it's trying to shove blood down my throat and TELL ME to be scared. No dude, I'm laughing instead. MC is weird too and too predictable and cliché, but they tried.
Jul 3, 2014 12:44 PM

Nov 2012
Man poor Ken :'( This episode was really predictable but I'm interested enough to keep watching
Also thumbs up for Rin Toshite Shigure
Pages (18) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

846 by Vindicater »»
May 13, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

320 by Vindicater »»
May 8, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

520 by Vindicater »»
May 4, 8:19 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.