Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
May 8, 2013 12:52 PM

Nov 2011

Hmmm, hope Trigger can pull a golden egg out of this one. I'm looking forward to it.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 8, 2013 1:31 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Lol there was barely anything in that video but still sounds pretty interesting I guess.
May 8, 2013 1:46 PM

Sep 2012
The names attached to this alone are enough for me to be excited.
May 8, 2013 1:52 PM

Oct 2012
This is gonna be gooood
May 8, 2013 1:53 PM

Nov 2008
Seems like it could be cool. Will most probably watch.
May 8, 2013 2:05 PM

Mar 2012
Anime of the decade.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 8, 2013 2:10 PM

Jun 2012
Araby said:
Anime of the decade.

It'll be tough to top the current placeholder

Inferno Cop.
May 8, 2013 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
more news about it

The June issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Monthly Newtype magazine is reporting on Friday that previously revealed new anime from director Hiroyuki Imaishi (Dead Leaves, Gurren Lagann, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt) is the battle action television anime Kill La Kill.

Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Nodame Cantabile: Finale, Re: Cutie Honey) is supervising and writing the scripts, and acclaimed animator Sushio (key animator on Gurren Lagann and new Evangelion films, character designer on Engage Planet Kiss Dum) is designing the characters. The untitled project will be at Imaishi's relatively new studio Trigger. Aniplex registered the kill-la-kill.jp domain name.

The story centers around two fiercely fighting schoolgirls, Ryūko Matoi (pictured left) and Satsuki Kiryūin (pictured right). On a campus ruled by force, a transfer student wielding a Basami sword brings about upheaval.

source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-05-08/kill-la-kill-anime-reunites-gurren-lagann-director-writer

It's a 2-cours battle action show set in an all girls high school. The main characters are Ryuuko Matoi and Satsuki Kiryuuin. Satsuki is a transfer student who carries a one handed longsword and believes that might makes right. She attempts to subjugate the school body using her strength. Ryuuko is the one who stands in her way, and seems to be driven by revenge.

Originally the plan was to make a pure battle manga sort of series set in a highschool, with the main character beating rival after rival in combat. After Nakashima compled about 4 episodes worth of scripts, Imaishi probably got bored of it because he decided to trash everything. The series has apparently since been changed to focus on character drama instead. The rivalry between the two main characters will be a major driving force.

source: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4670696&postcount=1

finally im excited to see some over the top action and fighting spirit again just like gurren lagann
May 8, 2013 2:32 PM

Oct 2012
@j0x

Thanks for the additional information! Looking forward to it.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 8, 2013 2:33 PM

Dec 2012
Araby said:
Anime of the decade.
Hey, you can't say that, we don't know what else Trigger is going to make yet.
May 8, 2013 2:48 PM

Mar 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Araby said:
Anime of the decade.

Inferno Cop Aku no Hana
I agree.

Monde11 said:
Valid point.
LoneWolf said:
May 8, 2013 2:55 PM

Jun 2012
Araby said:
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Araby said:
Anime of the decade.

Inferno Cop Aku no Hana
I agree.

Monde11 said:
Valid point.

Aku no Hana can't really be called anime of the decade though...

Anime of the century is more like it.
May 8, 2013 3:12 PM

Jun 2011
j0x said:
finally im excited to see some over the top action and fighting spirit again just like gurren lagann

In the second quote you provided, it says that it will be focused more on drama than action, so I have my doubts...

Anyway, it seems that TRIGGER care so much about the viewers, they even uploaded the full episode of LWA to YouTube, didn't they? I have high expectations for this project.
May 8, 2013 3:16 PM

Nov 2011
May 8, 2013 3:18 PM

Jun 2012
neontaster said:

Holy shit...

The one on the left is fucking hot.
May 8, 2013 3:19 PM

Nov 2011
May 8, 2013 3:20 PM

Nov 2011
YorozuyaGinSan said:
The one on the left is fucking hot.

I'm getting a whole "feisty/edgy girl vs. bishoujo" vibe from this, which I like.
May 8, 2013 3:21 PM

Dec 2012
Let me guess by appearance, left = femdom, right = genki girl

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up but I'm pretty hyped for this...
May 8, 2013 3:27 PM

Nov 2011
Monde11 said:

Why shouldn't you get your hopes up? This has a lot going for it (Gurren Lagann writer/director, really good animation studio). I'm not saying I am 100% sure it'll be great, but if you can't get your hopes up about something like this, then what CAN you get your hopes up about?
May 8, 2013 3:39 PM

Apr 2011
neontaster said:
Monde11 said:

Why shouldn't you get your hopes up? This has a lot going for it (Gurren Lagann writer/director, really good animation studio). I'm not saying I am 100% sure it'll be great, but if you can't get your hopes up about something like this, then what CAN you get your hopes up about?

Exactly. I am like 100% guaranteed I will enjoy this show and that it will be amazing.

I am beyond hyped right now. Talk about wonderful news.
May 8, 2013 3:46 PM

Dec 2012
neontaster said:
Monde11 said:

It has a lot going for it doesn't mean it won't be a trainwreck, regardless of what I said I'm still exited for it.
May 8, 2013 3:47 PM

Jan 2013
Yes a thread to talk about this upcoming new series.
Anyway the characters designs look nice, and obviously or chances are Mr.Yoshinari is going to help with the animation, I'm a big fan of his work.
Can't wait...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 8, 2013 4:02 PM

Mar 2010
i guess making a post about this was too difficult for the news team or something

anyway this seems fun and crazy, really looking forward to it
May 8, 2013 4:10 PM

Jan 2009
CureVylash said:
i guess making a post about this was too difficult for the news team or something

the news team has less staff from the way i see it so they cannot provide every anime news out there

but for more news i found this on AnimeSuki forums again
http://pastebin.com/jNceqyAj
http://pastebin.com/UWCFK2Bq
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=4671456&postcount=25
May 8, 2013 4:13 PM

Dec 2012

Couple of large images in the spoilers, the setting looks pretty cool it's some sort of spiral city.
May 8, 2013 4:30 PM

Jan 2009
Monde11 said:

that picture is the interview btw aside from the pastebin interview i posted a while ago i found this on 4chan /a/ -> http://pastebin.com/HdQXbH2H

Imaishi & Nakashima Interview
Picture with the interview in Japanese: http://i.imgur.com/PJwz2Xk.jpg

Q: Kill La Kill is finally announced. What was your initial concept like?
N: It started when Imaishi drew a Women's Team (onna gumi) at a bar.
Q: "Women's Team"?
N: We were first considering a gender bent version of the manga "Men's Team" (Otoko Gumi). I submitted an idea where there'd be girls wearing uniforms that have powers, fighting each other.
I: So I drew a pic of Women's Team then and there, and I began to think it'd be rather fun while drawing a character with handcuffs (lol).
N: In all these school clubs, the members would have uniforms with different powers. And we thought we'd do a battle manga-thing where the main character beats those rivals one by one. The theme for TTGL was to depict "a man's growth and maturation", but this time we went for the concept of a battle manga-thing, the likes of those from WSJ's Golden Age.
Q: So it took a while from production to the announcement.
I: When we were doing Panty and Stocking, we'd planned for a work that can be made immediately, but it ended up being dragged out in light of the TTGL feature film. We thought we can get to this (KLK) soon as well, but … making an original work does take time. Significant time needs to be invested in conceiving and developing each character' personalities/sentiments.
N: In the meantime, Imaishi even made a whole company
I: Hahaha, and also directing the special effects for BRS's CG…
N: And I was doing Forze, too.
Q: Forze was centered around an academy like KLK, correct?
N: That's right. Actually KLK came first. When we were talking about having a high-school girl's battle show, they told us that they wanted Forze's MC to be a high schooler too, and we were like "Oh no, they've overlapped." KLK's motif is on a high school in the Meiji era; and Forze is an American high school. I made this distinction within myself, and I couldn't disclose it to anybody for a long time, until now (lel).
Q: So while it took time, did the script-writing progress well?
N: Not at all. After we'd decided on a 2-cour series, I submitted the script for Episodes 1-4 … and Imaishi said "THIS ISN'T THE KIND OF WORK I WANT TO DO!" and ripped it apart.
Q: This sounds familiar. Did that happen during TTGL, too?
N: During the show (leo). Six years ago, Imaishi ripped up the finished script for Episode 1 while screaming "The drill in my heart won't spin with shit like this!"
I: Did I really say that? It's like my words are getting blown out of proportion (lel)
N: This time, it ended up with "I can't wear sailor uniforms with this kind of story!" while ripping up 4 episodes' worth of script.
I: EHH~? Does that mean I have to wear a sailor uniform if I OK'd the script?
Q: Hahaha. So there was a big turnaround in direction.
N: TTGL had one draft denied, but this time it was 4. The acceptance rate fell! (lel)
I: I'm sorry. Haven't got used to it, have you (lel
N: But no question, the script is very interesting.
Q: So with this major directional change, what were the effects on the story?
N: Initially we were making a battle-manga type show, but it changed to character drama. The battle-show planned for a complete story ended up becoming a work where regular characters' development/drama will be thoroughly explored. The work coincidentally became much more interesting from there.
I: The heroine (Ryuuko Matoi)'s personality changed, too.
N: Ryuuko was initially a completed character. But after the changes in script, she became the type of character where one would get involved in incidents by circumstance, and we made it so the viewer and the heroine would discover what's happening in this world at the same time. Ryuuko therefore became a character with much more vitality.
I: We thought we'd go all out with the best elements from shonen manga. We decided to make this work one where the audience can feel strongly about the main character with a diversity of emotions.
Q: Did the whole series' structure change as well?
N: It's still changing here and there.
I: And that makes it vastly different from TTGL. TTGL didn't change very much from the first planned structure. But KLK is going beyond that.
N: With KLK, the whole staff (with me included) submit ideas, like "Hey, this would be cool", and the series' layout keeps changing. It's really a live production. If anything, it's quite similar to the experience I had when I was producing weekly manga. With weekly manga, you keep developing/making things in the direction the characters are moving, so it's really fun. KLK gave me that vibe.
Q: How did you undertake the script writing?
I: Just a few people. Actually, Nakashima wrote most of the 2-cour script. The Nakashima concentration in this script is very high!
N: Actually, we wanted to have the "battles with special powers" thing for the whole story so we considered having a lot of writers to provide some quality variety. But then, the character drama started getting intense, so … "then I'll write the next script, .. and the one after that, and after that too". Before we knew it, I'd done most of the writing. It was like TWENTY-FOUR.
I: It was a pleasant surprise to have had Nakajima write almost all of the episodes' script.
N: Forze had just finished, so I was able to really concentrate on the writing. Right now, I can finish a whole script in a week; it's like a weekly KLK manga. You can fully enjoy the Imaishi-Nakajima combo.
Q: What sort of action do you want to do this time?
I: Hand-to-hand combat (or basically fighters literally throwing themselves at each other). We only had three episodes of that in TTGL. I've always wanted to do an all-out battle between characters with Nakajima at the helm (writing).
N: Yes, it's like the Yoko vs. Adiane fight (from the TTGL film) for the whole thing.
Q: Sushio-san was in charge of character design, correct? How did you find his work?
N: I'm really excited from seeing all those facial expressions. I want to see them moving already!
I: Sushio's characters give off even more appeal when they're moving. He's not a very rational character himself; he blows up when he's excited. I'm counting on that.
N: We've got some really cool characters lined up.
Q: What sort of characters are Matoi Ryuuko and Kiryuuin Satsuki?
I: Ryuuko and Satsuki are developed through their clashing. Initially, Ryuuko was a bit gloomy/introverted character, but we gave her a brighter personality because Satsuki is cool and hard as ice.
N: Both of them are main characters. Their universe has uniforms that match an individual's talents/skills and give them respective powers, and Satsuki is trying to rule the Academy with that uniform's power. Ryuuko resists this movement. It'll be a sculptured drama centered around both of them.
Q: So in this sculptured drama, who is/are your favorite character?
N: There will be Four Emperors again. They'll last long!
I: You went there (lel).
N: They won't be one-shafted emperors this time … probably.
I: There are no throw-away characters. They're packed tight in the story, and deleting some of them is inconceivable.
N: Some characters will develop immensely by themselves. It's wonderful to have characters like that being born.
Q: Any films, books, or novels that were brought up during the script-writing?
N: I got a lot of feedback about different kinds of works from everybody this time.
I: Nakajima presented some mainstream classics from the 70's, and we present works from the 80's influenced by them. And then we get ideas influenced by both of those.
Q: I see that you two make a great team. What do you like about working with each other?
I: Ever since TTGL, Nakajima balances out my irresponsible and childish impulses with adult rationale and reason, while keeping things fun. Not only that, that "fun" approach fits me very well. So the work is made really easy. I'd like to work with Nakajima loads more in the future, if he doesn't mind.
N: With Imaishi, I can go full throttle with my style. And the folks at Trigger can make that into a excellent work. It's really too much fun. I almost want to do both Gekidan*Shinkansen and Trigger at the same time.
I: That's wonderful to hear!
N: Personally, KLK is just too much fun. "If I were me, I wouldn't be able to get over watching this!"
I: Nice line there! "If I were me!" (ROFL)
N: Imaishi's team appreciates these jokes. Normally, people would be just confused.
I: I want to match that "If I were me I can't get over it!" phrase with an illustration and make it talk!
Q: Production has started too. What are you both looking forward to the most, at this point?
N: The afurekos (off-recording). The cast is superb this time too. This is going to be pretty damn interesting. Really looking forward to having those people voice the characters and give them life.
I: Production finally started, and artists besides the main staff are working on the Ryuuko and Satsuki characters. I'd like to see how they'll show even more facial expressions.
N: This is a work where you get the fun from a manga-movie kind of thing. In terms of Trigger, it's a work that'd express both the spirit of Inferno Cop and the imagination behind Little Witch Academia.
I: The spirit of Inferno Cop? Umm … it'd be better not to create misunderstandings (lel). Well, let's go with the FULL MIGHT OF TRIGGER.
N: We believe it'll be an excellent work!
May 8, 2013 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
Hmmm... This image is especially interesting. Looks kinda Gargantia-ish.

May 8, 2013 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
Lol am I the only who thinks that sword looks like a keyblade?
Which I think it looks nice btw.

May 8, 2013 4:45 PM

Mar 2012
That interview has me so stoked. Is this probably going to air Fall 2013 or what?
LoneWolf said:
May 8, 2013 4:48 PM

Dec 2012
el_putaso said:
It's half of a pair of scissors and she's looking for the other half, I don't have enough info about this yet.
May 8, 2013 4:51 PM

Jan 2011
neontaster said:

Wow those uniforms/character designs look amazing.
neontaster said:

Dat scenery
VioLinkMay 8, 2013 4:54 PM
[center]
May 8, 2013 4:58 PM

Jan 2013
Monde11 said:
el_putaso said:
It's half of a pair of scissors and she's looking for the other half, I don't have enough info about this yet.

Ah I see, thnx for the little info.

May 8, 2013 5:14 PM

Jan 2011
j0x said:

I: The spirit of Inferno Cop? Umm … it'd be better not to create misunderstandings (lel). Well, let's go with the FULL MIGHT OF TRIGGER.

I believe in trigger.
[center]
May 8, 2013 5:21 PM

Jan 2009
VioLink said:
j0x said:

I believe in trigger.

me too and its gonna be highly budgeted implied by that interview too
May 8, 2013 5:21 PM

Apr 2012
If I were me, I'd be feeling rigid right now.
May 8, 2013 5:31 PM

Jan 2011
j0x said:
j0x said:
VioLink said:
j0x said:

I believe in trigger.

me too and its gonna be highly budgeted implied by that interview too

2 cours of girl on girl intense hate sex undertones fighting with fluid sakuga animation.

This is what dreams are made of.
[center]
May 8, 2013 5:43 PM

Jan 2013
j0x said:
VioLink said:
j0x said:

I believe in trigger.

Me too and it's going be highly budgeted implied by that interview.
CabronMay 9, 2013 8:41 PM

May 8, 2013 5:44 PM

Jun 2008
Looks like a masterpiece in the making.
May 8, 2013 10:50 PM

Nov 2011
This show looks like it'll be great when it comes out but hopefully when t airs, it'll deliver the full package
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2013 10:59 PM

Apr 2011
Promising :D
May 9, 2013 2:04 AM

Feb 2011
Honestly, this couldn't be any more promising.
May 9, 2013 8:04 AM

Nov 2011
Better version of the key visual. Spoilered for size.

May 9, 2013 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
And official website: http://www.kill-la-kill.jp/
May 9, 2013 8:11 AM

Dec 2012
Couple more bits of info

Sushio interview said:
Q: What were your first impressions upon hearing the plans for KLK?
S: When I first heard about them, nothing was decided yet. So I indulged myself in thinking that I could make it into one of those "kid-friendly anime" that I like.
Q: So the plans initially allowed a lot of freedom. So what did you have in mind before the personalities for Ryuuko and Satsuki were determined?
S: At first, I wanted to make a "kid-friendly anime", so the first drafts had pretty "deformed" designs. The current line came after I read Nakajima's finished script: I redesigned them according to the image I got from the text.
Q: They say that Imaishi productions place a lot of significance on designs. I hear TTGL and P&S had very long discussions regarding character design, but how did it go this time?
S: Actually, this was my first time engaging in real design discussion. Before KLK, I always watched the proceedings on the sidelines and thought, "If you're only going to screw around with the same illustrations, just go with it already!" But when I actually participated, I understood the importance of details. KLK's design meetings happened every week, from 5pm late afternoon to 1am in the morning, just drawing and drawing, and people offer opinions, and I draw some more, over and over again. And sooner or later, in the middle of drawing, I got this "OHHH, I'VE GOT IT (KITANA!!!)" moment. Then the character just works. It's honestly like the Kyupi~n in Newtype.
Q: So you keep drawing until that moment comes. How did you go about designing Ryuuko and Satsuki?
S: Whenever Ryuuko's form got generally developed, I'd work on Satsuki. When I start to "see" Satsuki, then I go back to Ryuuko … like that. Sometimes when I had some doubts or uncertainties, it'd be pointed out during discussion. Then I'd set to work with the intention of clearing that doubt, and keep redrawing according to opinions, and I'd break through with another great character.
Q: One of the most impressionable designs is that strip of red hair.
S: The red strip is one of the few remaining parts from my original designs.
Q: How about Satsuki?
S: Satsuki came more naturally. I initially heard some actress was her model, hence the thick eyebrows. Combining those parts and drawing, while testing different colors and adjusting the size of said parts, was my process of balancing perspective/proportions.
Q: As the setting is an Academy this time, I believe you'd drawn a lot of characters. Have any of them particularly made an impression on you?
S: They've only just started moving, so I don't have impressions yet per se - but I've drawn a lot of handsome guys (studs).
Q: Handsome guys!?
S: I was told drawing a lot of handsome men would be hot, so I'm doing my best to draw them (lel).
Q: Now, we hear KLK has already entered production. What kind of action can we expect?
S: At the moment, I really want the animation to make people laugh, so I hope it'll be that kind of work. For example, I really like the ryokan car chase scene in "Lupin the Third: Fuuma Clan's Conspiracy", directed by Tanaka - and I want to make our characters more appealing through that kind of action.
Q: Are there any staff members involved in production that you're following at the moment?
S: I'm following everybody that's involved! Also, I'm really looking forward to what magic the young staff from LWA will cast.
Q: Tell us your personal thoughts on this work as a full-force Trigger production.
S: I hope the anime will mix in the "cute, manga-like" elements well. Personally, I hope they draw characters with a wide range of expressions too. When it comes to girls, I like it when they scrunch up their face while laughing, so I hope this work will make Ryuuko and everybody move appealingly while not being hindered by the "conventional bishojo" limitations.

neontaster said:
Better version of the key visual. Spoilered for size.

MATOI RYUUKO(left)
A 17 y/o girl who transfers into Second Year, Class E (甲)at Honnouji Academy. Has a huge single-bladed scissor, searching for the lost half. In an Academy ruled by power and authority, she has a fated encounter.

KIRYUUIN SATSUKI(right)
18 y/o girl and Student Council President of Honnouji Academy. Rules the school with an iron fist. She assesses the students' abilities, and holds the position/authority to draw out power surpassing that of humans. What does she see with those eyes?
Monde11May 9, 2013 8:17 AM
May 9, 2013 8:55 AM

Jun 2009
The interviews and the visuals are SO EXCITING and I feel so inspired already!! I can't wait until this comes out!
May 9, 2013 9:12 AM

Apr 2013
I'm interested because Gurren Lagann team is behind it
That visual of the setting looks wonderful, but better keep expectations in check
May 9, 2013 9:14 AM

Sep 2012
fucking HYPE

team that worked on TTmotherfuckingGL

and they've proven themselves incredibly competent as animators with LWA
talk about a winning combo. TTGL was hands down anime of the decade. nothing has come close.
if this is even 1/100th the brilliance, its still AOTS

this is going to be huge.
im even more excited for this than i was/am for SNK
eldestMay 9, 2013 9:18 AM
May 9, 2013 9:15 AM

Mar 2012
ON OUR BACKS, IN OUR HEARTS

KILL LA KILL
LoneWolf said:
May 9, 2013 9:54 AM

Oct 2012
The more I read about this the more hyped I become
May 9, 2013 9:56 AM
Apr 2013
For an original material has great potential to be great, even more so with these guys on the helm.

Now, just don't make the girl's clothes made of wet handkerchief (aka rips apart from everything) and you will have my atention. It will not be anime of the decade, but it could be great fun. And that's more than enought really.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2013

264 by Rhae »»
Jun 1, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2013

300 by Rhae »»
May 31, 7:42 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

879 by bubba460z »»
May 31, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2013

337 by Kamirura »»
May 29, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

189 by Rhae »»
May 27, 1:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.