Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 12, 2008 1:55 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty interesting story, good music, nice animation with splendid background drawing style. All those plants looks great. Ending could be better but I can forgive it somehow. Yet the most important thing is the opening animation and song by Kokia (Chouwa Oto) - truly awesome and beautiful. This one thing made me love this movie ;]

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
sarroushJul 22, 2017 3:27 PM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Dec 11, 2008 9:34 PM

Jul 2008
I found the animation amazing. The details of the forest and everything were stunning. The story wasn't the greatest but good enough for me to enjoy and to keep me entertained throughout the movie. But for some reason I didn't really like the characters. I just get really annoyed with the main characters and that pretty much ruined a big part of the movie for me.

Dec 12, 2008 4:57 PM

Jan 2008
I agree, animation was superb and great music as well. Story was interesting, not fantastic and voices for the main characters were somewhat annoying. Hearing the guy yell out Tula so many times in a row really got on my nerves.

Nevertheless, the movie was great.
Dec 17, 2008 11:38 AM
Dec 2008
Although the art and animation were pretty good, I found this flick incredibly generic.
Apr 27, 2009 12:37 PM

Jun 2008
The story was far from generic, I've never ever heard of mutant trees from the moon being the reason for the apocalypse. Movie overall was fantastic, Agito's voice could have been better though, but I can forgive that.
May 10, 2009 12:19 PM

Jul 2008
The only good things about this movie are the opening song by Kokia and the animation. Otherwise I thought it was a pretty average film. I only liked two of the characters - Shunack and Tula. Although that white haired guy who punched one of the volcano boulders in midair was hardcore. Agito's voice could have been better, his constant screaming of Tula's name got so annoying. The story was unique, I'll give it that, but nothing super amazing. While watching it a lot of the decisions made by the characters were really stupid as well. I expected more.
ToukaMay 17, 2009 4:51 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
May 30, 2009 11:03 AM

Feb 2008
I thought the first our was pretty good, but the last half hour was really wishy-washy in terms of the storyline. There were so many little things that just made no sense.

It goes without saying though that the visuals were well done and looked especially good in HD. The sound design was pretty good as well.
Aug 5, 2009 9:33 PM
Jan 2009
The animation and soundtrack were very good.the overall story, characters was ok but i couldnt stand agito though.
Aug 10, 2009 1:48 AM

May 2009
It wasn't as good as I thought it would be but it was good^^very good animation though
Dec 21, 2009 12:10 PM
Sep 2009
The anime was okay. It was a bit confusing a times, tho. I liked the forest thing and the music was AWESOME, but the plot was a bit muddy sometimes.

Guess we've gotta save the trees, or they'll eat us right? ;P
ALL HAIL THE INKLINGS!!
Mar 10, 2010 11:07 AM
Jul 2009
it would have been soooooooooo cool if they had kids or something and if it was more romantic lik a kisss XD xD
May 7, 2010 7:54 AM
Mar 2010
THought the movie would be better, Story wasn't that good though music and animation was really good :D
Jul 15, 2010 8:19 AM
Apr 2010
The Story/Character Development took away from all the great areas of this movie..was just god awful.. 1/10
Jul 27, 2010 4:13 PM

Aug 2008
Pretty good film. Was loving the music. The art and landscapes on some of the shots were extraordinary~ Shame I watched it dubbed though (not by choice) Tula's voice was irritating. ;<
Aug 2, 2010 6:08 PM

Jul 2008
I came away pleasantly surprised. The animation alone is worth the price of admission. Make sure you watch it in 1080p, otherwise, in my opinion, you missed the point of the entire movie. Spirits was made for high definition, and it sure was a treat to watch. The characters, however, were fairly uninteresting. I mean, there were moments where you could care for them, but mostly because they just acted as a symbol to an idea we ourselves look up to. It's cheap, but it works.

The story itself is fairly unique. There's a nice pace throughout a good two-thirds of the move. The last third is my favorite because I loved the mind fuck in the volcano. Literally explained everything in about... mm... fifteen seconds. lol I have no idea what the screenwriter was thinking but my brain literally asploded trying to figure out what the hell was going on in those fifteen seconds. There were many parallels throughout the film, looking back on it now. A tiny bit of philosophy was interjected, which made for a nice treat. Besides that though, I can't think of much else about the movie. Oh, the music: very nice! I especially loved the opening and ending credits.

I think it would have helped if they showed us a little more of their world. It was hard at first to grasp all the various relationships between the three forces, all the characters, and special individuals. It definitely needed a more refined script as well. Overall, though, it was a really good movie.

7.5/10 (also, I watched the dub)
Sep 26, 2010 6:34 PM

Feb 2009
Weeeell that was weird.

I still don't understand the ending, lol.
How exactly did Agito stop the forest from being murderous?

I liked the two little creepy tree spirits, though.
The whole reason I watched this was because I heard Monica Rial's voice in it from a DVD preview, rofl.
Dec 5, 2010 11:15 AM

Apr 2009
Those tree spirits are creepy.. Near the end i kinda fell asleep and i miss how Agito got silver hair.. but i just accepted it. I liked the unguie story.

I watched the dub. I didnt mind it.
Dec 5, 2010 5:07 PM
Nov 2010
Not terrible, not amazing. I did enjoy it. Just not the best thing ive ever watched.

The animation was superb as well as the art, but it was lacking in story and script. The voice actors (as far as the english version goes) could have used some work.

The story has a few holes that needed to be filled. Like how did agito save the forest?

Overall, the idea behind the story was good, but could have been reworked to make more sense, and in my opinion, needed more time. The underlying idea could not have been explained fully in 90 minutes.

8/10 (Animation and Art, make up for its short comings)
Dec 20, 2010 2:51 AM

Jul 2008
Shancakeschan said:
Those tree spirits are creepy.. Near the end i kinda fell asleep and i miss how Agito got silver hair.. but i just accepted it. I liked the unguie story.

I watched the dub. I didnt mind it.
Wow, exactly what I was thinking. Like dead on. XD
Jan 25, 2011 1:25 AM
Nov 2010
The first thing that made me interested in that movie was the music. It's just amazing and very suitable. The plot is original and the animation is great. There are some shortcomings...
billyo907 said:
Overall, the idea behind the story was good, but could have been reworked to make more sense, and in my opinion, needed more time. The underlying idea could not have been explained fully in 90 minutes.

I agree with you that the idea of the story could not be presented in just 90 minutes, but despite this the movie is worth seeing.
Jan 27, 2011 7:19 PM

Dec 2008
Wow! I thought the movie was great. Agito was total GAR towards the end. Guess I'm in the minority.
Feb 15, 2011 9:56 AM
Jan 2011
Personally, I loved the movie, it was awesome.
Apr 14, 2011 4:49 PM

May 2010
It was a nice movie I guess. I laughed a few times. xD
Nice art, but i think a little too much computer animation.
8/10

^_^
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Jul 3, 2011 2:12 PM

Jul 2009
It's an ok movie, but it seems like a mix-up of a couple of other movies... Or just a Nausicaa ripoff of sorts.
The backgrounds were amazing, I wanna use some of them as wallpapers... The machines also looked awesome, but meh, too much CGI, even if it was nicely done. The OP and ED were nice, too..

The story is too crammed and too rushed, while the characters either didn't develop, or they developed forcefully, and I didn't like that.

The constant "TOOLA!" jelling was annoying. -.-'

Oh and, there's a thing or two the authors might wanna learn about volcanoes...
ElectromistressJul 3, 2011 3:04 PM
Jul 5, 2011 11:32 AM

Apr 2011
Animation and sound were gorgeous, story and characters pretty so-so. The world was wonderful and while the ending got preachy it was expected in an eco-centric story that the side espousing coexistence with nature would win. Princess Mononoke notwithstanding. I guess the alien forest must have been attacking simply out of its instincts when it destroyed most of the Earth, since it was bred to be hyperaggressive.

5/5, and yeah, I watched it dubbed too.
Aug 30, 2011 2:43 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Though I enjoyed it, I felt like I watch a Ghibli Avatar Shangri-La mash up. I laughed when Agito came out of that pod with his clothes and accessories still on. I'm curious as to who/what those green alien lizards who lived in the forest were and where they came from.

8/10
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 13, 2011 12:34 PM
Dec 2010
This should have been series, it was good and so but it was also kinda rushed. If there were more time to build up their relationship and to explain characters backgrounds and connections then it would be totaly awesome :) But even though its prety nice movie.
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Nov 26, 2011 11:49 PM

Dec 2010
"Dude... I was thinking... we're all like... connected, man..."
"Whoaaaaa"
"Whoaaaaa"
"Dude..."

Okay, so this had a lot of potential. Good art, interesting setting and atmosphere, the CG wasn't bad, music was okay, characters... okay. But it needed more time.
Everything felt like it was skipping around and leaving out important developments.
At the end the big bad just accepts it. Like he was brainwashed by becoming a plant. Doesn't sit well with me.
After that, the main character had this ball-tripping scene for some important revelation that came outta nowhere. The whole time this guy's a hick with a one track mind. He only knows one word and that's "TOOLA!"

This really needed to be a 6 episode or so OVA. It needed more time to development everything.
Why do the leads give a shit about each other when they hardly know each other?
The MC is sorta the villain for 2/3 of the movie actually. The big bad is just reverting the planet and killing off the oppressive overmind and this sucker is blowing shit up and getting in his way. He doesn't even think for himself. He's told what to do and does it.

So in the end the overmind won and from all the scifi movies I've seen... that's how it always goes down. The difference is this time there's plants.
Best part of the movie? When Shades punches a fucking molten boulder.
notsureifsrsNov 26, 2011 11:53 PM
Feb 29, 2012 1:42 PM
Jun 2010
Before I the movie I saw some of the trailers and I was really confused 'cause some of the scenes in the trailers weren't in the movie... it was like the movie and the trailers were from different matter... Does anyone know why?

Still it was ok. Good art and ost and atmosphere was great. Could have been better if it was full-length anime, 'cause character development was rushed and characters didn't have time to "grow" to the role they were given.
Aug 19, 2012 12:05 PM

Jul 2011
Holy shit, that was awful. Terrible voice acting by the protagonist, generic movie soundtrack, rushed storytelling, illogical developments, dei ex machinas, and a futile attempt to be symbolic. I swear, they gave up halfway through; they went "Screw it, just do it" for every other development. At least it had a good opening and ending theme, as well as pretty animation.
Aug 27, 2012 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
It was ok. I liked it, but it was far from the best movie i've ever seen. Kinda obviously preachy about the forest and environment and whatnot. But, the closing song and animation were really good.

7/10
Sep 12, 2012 7:35 PM

Apr 2011
Concept was interesting, but the story was lacking. All I got from Agito character was, memories of Naruto shouting Sasuke name like an idiot.

7/10 overall and the WTF at the villain becomes understanding and allows to live through re-carnation within the tree...

The tree people aren't angels themselves..
Feb 24, 2013 10:46 AM
Jul 2010
So I watched this.... Great animation, music was nice but not my thing.
Voice acting was good, but I've heard better.

And then... there's the characters, which were EXTREMELY generic.

And then there's the plot. Sure, it had some things going for it. Trees from the moon attack the earth. 3-way weird battle situation on earth...

But it just rushed it, didn't give these locations much character. We know little to nothing about these cities/towns and how they survive. We're not even exactly sure what this 'final correction' of the plants thing even was. Sure, we knew it would destroy a lot, but heck, the damn trees take water from people and kill them off all the time, so it's pretty much a war here...

Furthermore, the glimpse of the ending... so the trees are making babies now? I mean, thats nice and all, but humans don't really need trees to do that. We can do that fine on our own thank you very much, and that's even proven in this world considering the main character isn't THAT old...

The whole thing reeked of shallow 'balance with nature' thing, without accurately discussing how nature is the thing that freaking went insane in the first place. Did it come to terms with how it shouldn't have wiped us all out? Probably not considering it takes water from the survivors. Ultimately, I just didn't care for this 'balance' that was created...

I probably would have destroyed the forest, but not destroyed Neutral city. Walah, case closed, end of story. I was waiting for them to give us some reason to leave the forest all sentient and whatnot, but they never did.
Mar 27, 2013 6:52 AM

Mar 2008
I'm having a major deja-vu here. Either I have seen this movie before or I'm simply tired of the theme man vs nature. I usually don't like to compare movies much, but Miyazaki (Mononoke) did it WAY better.
The movie did have pretty good visuals, but it was an utter borefest.
The characters were horrible, also the dialogue...
I want my time back, now!
Not that anyone cares, but gets a 3/10 from me.
Mar 29, 2013 9:01 PM

Jan 2012
Finally, a dub that didn't suck ass. Actually, it was a good one.

The story itself seemed a bit dissociated from itself - that's to say, it didn't feel like it was based on anything concrete, just on itself, which hurt it a little bit. The MC was a bit annoying too. It may be just me, but it always irks me a bit when MC's know someone for a ridiculously short period of time and inexplicably fall head over heels for them.

Still, the movie was very interesting, and I haven't seen anything quite like it. It was a real treat to watch, I'd say. Ending theme was quite smashing, too.
Lemme smang it girl.
Apr 1, 2013 4:16 PM

Jun 2009
Good try but I watch this in the future again. Good soundtrack though...

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Jun 19, 2013 6:01 AM

Oct 2009
Generic as fuck.
Kokia amazing as always, animation was great, i wasn't very impressed by the story or the characters, felt like a cheap Princess Mononoke :/

Also TULAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! God that was so annoying with that annoying voice >:(

Too bad this had potential, they didn't expand on the world or anything else just..eh..

6/10
Jul 21, 2013 3:20 PM

Nov 2011
Produced by Gonzo huh...

I just love the OST from this series especially in the beginning. Uh, I had to watch this dubbed since I couldn't find a sub download. Whatever, the voices are okay though so I don't really mind it.

It seems like the druids or whatever they are called are meanies. No idea what the hell happened in that cave. My guess is that the girl has some sort of secret. Whatever the case though, the druids seems to be the antagonists of this show.

Seems like the MC has a cherry personality and proud of his home. Well, that's good.
The animation seems to have some CG in it so not too happy to see that imo. The action is okay though. Agito and Tula's relationship seems to be strong although I see it as a bit forced especially in the latter half of the movie. I just love the themes of the show though and its nature.

6/10
Aug 6, 2013 1:33 AM

Feb 2013
A decent movie to watch when you got nothing better to do. Neither terrible nor amazing. I kinda thought the movie was a little fast paced and could have used a little more backstory development but nevertheless was a fun movie to watch.

7/10 for me
~ El Psy Congroo~

Aug 12, 2013 9:52 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, what a train wreck.

The first part of the movie spends a lot of effort establishing why Toola would want to leave Neutral Town; after the shock of waking up to a devastated world, she meets an old woman who seems to distrust her for being from the past and barely tolerates her ("I'll allow you to stay", she says, implying the ability to not allow it). She has to carry water up a hill, a tedious and menial task she isn't accustomed to, and the local girl she meets who tries to be friendly only further alienates Toola by demonstrating how poorly she fits into the current way things work (Minka can easily carry two buckets of water). Then she's horrified by seeing a tree-man thing who tells her to adapt to the way things are, or go back to sleep. Given that going back to the sleeping pod thing is impossible, he's almost telling her to deal with it or kill herself. After all this the mutant forest tries to kill her.

So someone shows up to say that he's here to help her and they can restore the world to the way she remembers it, of course she says yes, but the movie tries to play this off as an obvious mistake that she needs to be rescued from when it's not established until near the end of the movie that Shunack's plan is actually destructive and immoral.

So far from depicting a search for a middle way between mankind and nature as it eventually claims to be doing, the movie just seem to be scolding any act that isn't a submission to the forrest, which, remember, hates humans and wants to kill them. The way Agito tries to forcibly take Toola away from Ranga as if he's doing her a favor makes him seem self-absorbed and creepily possessive. Given the weight that is eventually placed on the love story, this is downright fatal.
Sep 1, 2013 12:13 PM

Oct 2012
Not bad for environmental anime but towards the end I kinda favoured Istok recultivation process than ever-expanding forest and synthesis of all living beings (that denies human individuality). That forest and all those mutations were actually sort of disturbing for me. And main heroine worldview change was kinda fast.

But even with those things this anime presented some intriguing themes and questions and as such it is 7/10 for me.
Nov 27, 2013 3:11 AM

Jun 2012
I liked the setting, the animation, and the music, but even for a movie, it developed pretty fast.
Those forest spirits are so disturbing. . .

A 6/10 from me ^^

I found this movie through Kokia ^^ (whom I found through osu!)

Dec 28, 2013 1:41 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome This Story is Soo Cool

saiuchiha012Dec 28, 2013 1:47 PM
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

Mar 9, 2014 2:48 PM

Sep 2011
I've just finished watching this and I knew it was going to be a brilliant movie simply from the opening.
That song just instantly takes you into the film.

Does anyone know films that are like this one? Unique ideas and amazing songs?
[align=right][/align]
May 17, 2014 8:07 PM

Mar 2009
Very fast paced movie. Plot tries to connect together. Direction (plus the music direction) was executed badly. This could have been better if it was a TV series or if the direction was taken differently. You'll barely understand who the characters are, too. I'm at the end ... I lost all hope for it when I realized how bad the direction and plot went.

Nonetheless, as everyone else stated. If you've got nothing else to do, then hit this and don't expect it to be as amazing just because of the beginning.

Edit -- One more thing. Shunak and Agito (name spelling for both) have bad voice acting in Japanese. Not the right people for the right characters ...
otakixusMay 17, 2014 8:20 PM
May 27, 2014 4:57 PM

Nov 2012
Agito had way too strong emotions for Toola for only knowing her for a few days at most.His melodramatic,forced actions were just painful to watch.

Don't even get me started on his voice too,it was so fucking annoying especially everytime he yelled "TOOLA" (haven't hated a character's voice this much since Yuno).4/10.
Jun 8, 2014 2:21 AM
May 2014
I watched it and I loved it very much. I think the one problem with the movie is that it wants too much. There is so much going on with the backstory that you can get distracted from what's actually going on with the characters. You don't really get a real affection for the characters because the story is too complex and short for the watcher to get how deep the story goes.
I think this is because the story had to be in movie format. I liked the story and would have loved it if there was more time to deepen it. Maybe as a Trilogy or Duology.

The animation was superb, nothing to complain about that. I especially liked the water animation.

Music was great!
CyberSporkJun 8, 2014 2:27 AM
May 25, 2015 7:46 AM

Apr 2014
Electromaster said:
Oh and, theres a thing or two the authors might wanna learn about volcanoes...

^Lol right?
I never want to here the name Toola again.
---------My Profile------------
Sep 17, 2015 6:29 PM

Jul 2010
Man, this movie started out good but turned to shit the second the MC got op and turned all superman...disappointing movie really.
Oct 21, 2015 3:12 AM
Oct 2015
yeah i gues your right but still it has a great part like the soundtrack.The soundtrack is cool dohh
kyle<3anime
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» This movie slaps

theanimefreak95 - Apr 14, 2022

4 by Potato_Water »»
Apr 22, 2022 7:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.