Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 3, 2011 12:38 PM

Feb 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was a really nice episode, this series is one of my favourites this season. Really, really good.
Feb 3, 2011 12:54 PM

Apr 2010
I liked this episode this Anime is starting to get better.
Anna is a pretty strange girl it's hard to tell whether she actually likes or dislikes Notori kun.
She also acts a bit weird around her friends like she keeps everything to herself or she isn't completely honest with herself.
Maho was acting like a typical sister again offending her little brother and ordering him around.

Chiba's look at the teacher when she got angry was so funny it was a great scene, especially how the teacher reacted at it.
Poor guy must have a hard time keeping classes like that under control, he seems like a good teacher tho.

Takatsuki seemed to be a bit more pleased with her appearance then last time tho she is still having trouble accepting her body.
Notori seem to have trouble adapting as well.
And Chiba's behavior doesn't seem to make it easier for him.
Chizuru showing up in a bikini at the pool made me laugh she does everything to stand out from the crowd.
Feb 3, 2011 1:04 PM

Feb 2010
Oooh the drama! It's really more interesting than I expected it to be .

Hooray, I feel less akward while watching this now!
Feb 3, 2011 1:12 PM

Dec 2007
Saori-chan confessed to Nitorin ^^
Feb 3, 2011 1:29 PM

Jul 2010
Unfortunately, I still find this show boring. I guess it's just not my taste. I still love Sarashina, Chizuru, and I still dislike Chiba (although she wasn't as bad this episode as she was before).

Sarashina's great the way she does everything to stand out! I'd like more of a backstory on her, but I doubt I'll get it.
Feb 3, 2011 2:26 PM

Jul 2008
I love Saori <3
Feb 3, 2011 3:16 PM

Sep 2008
Sarashina with the bikini looked yummy, i mean for this anime's standards.
I actually like supporting Saori a lot more in the show even though she's going to lose. I don't know if it's pity, but I love how she's honest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2011 3:18 PM

Sep 2009
This episode was the first in this series that made me feel emotionally attached to the characters. The ending was perfectly timed by the creators. It had a great lead in to the ending that gave saori's lines a little extra umph emotionally! It was truly brilliant!!
Feb 3, 2011 5:07 PM

Nov 2007
Such a lovely episode.
Both Takatsuki's and Chiba's reactions were so honest and heartfelt, I don't know who to root for anymore.
Takatsuki remaining friends with Nitorin after the confession is appplause-worthy and her offering her name to him was incredibly sweet. The same goes for her reaction when he explained the play and his feelings.
Chiba offering her name was just as sweet, and when Nitorin turned it down my heart ached for her. And her prayer for Takatsuki to get the pox made me lol.

Aversa said:

Anna is a pretty strange girl it's hard to tell whether she actually likes or dislikes Notori kun.

Yes, I agree.
She seems to enjoy making Nitorin suffer, yet when she succeeds she feels guilty about it. I don't like her.
Feb 3, 2011 6:17 PM

Aug 2010
Poor Saori ... chasing for a lost cause. Gender roles switchu!!

If middle school kids were actually this dramatic my head would explode.
Feb 3, 2011 6:44 PM

Jan 2009
What is this, an episode of confessions O_o!!!

Nitori confesses to Takatsuki, and Saori confesses to Nitori *dramatic music*!!!!

What will happen when the play finally takes off?!?!?! Gotta say it's getting pretty good, and the ending theme song to this anime is awesome.
Feb 3, 2011 8:53 PM

Nov 2009
Is this anime even really that good? I'm actually considering to drop it, as these kinds of anime are not my type. However, I still watch every anime, due to the pride of otakus. Stilll .... I feel like dropping this anime.
Feb 3, 2011 9:39 PM

May 2008
This show kinda makes me disgusted? lol kinda goes against my morals but oh well i hope to grow to like this show it has a nice and unique plot

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Feb 3, 2011 10:45 PM

May 2009
^ Morals, huh? :/

Nitori's voice still bugs me to no end, but it was a good episode.

billng said:
If middle school kids were actually this dramatic my head would explode.
Well, Saori is the typical angst-ridden, nobody-gets-me teen, and apart from their gender issues, they're all pretty typical middle school kids, I'd say.
Feb 4, 2011 12:00 AM

Apr 2010
This show is getting better and better in my opinion ^^

Feb 4, 2011 12:33 AM

Feb 2008
gmgkng said:
Is this anime even really that good? I'm actually considering to drop it, as these kinds of anime are not my type. However, I still watch every anime, due to the pride of otakus. Stilll .... I feel like dropping this anime.

Forcing yourself to watch something you don't like is ridiculous. Every episode you finish consumes about 24 minutes you'd be more willing to give to something else. No one is going to descend from the sky and revoke your otaku card just because you drop this.
greenmush said:
This show kinda makes me disgusted? lol kinda goes against my morals but oh well i hope to grow to like this show it has a nice and unique plot

I just can't link something disgusting with something that goes against my morals, but I have the same thing to say to you that I said to the guy above. If you find it that troubling it'd be better to tribute the twenty-four minutes you give to it to something else.

That said, this episode reminded me why I like this series. Of course the other three did too, but that's beside the point. The exchange between Nitori and Chiba toward the end really pulled on my heart strings. I fear that if I was in Nitori's position at that moment I wouldn't have mentioned Takatsuki giving me her name.

Speaking of being in a characters position at a specific moment, I would have definitely been as mad as Saori was in class if the teacher just gave my classmates permission to join in, destroying almost every chance I had to spend with the person I had a crush on alone and compromise the integrity of my writing. The last part of that might just be me alone though.
Feb 4, 2011 5:30 AM
Sep 2007
Well... I tipped off my hat.

I was slightly disappointed with ep3. But this episode was a damn good retribution. I agree with -kassy-... this show certainly has a great potential to become a masterpiece. We'll see... just that the 11-ep constrain really makes me cringed. Hopefully they plan for a second season; if not, that really will not do justice at all. I missed the times when 24 ep slot can be acquired much easier.

Edit: Oh shoot.. how could I have missed this?? Just when I thought the Shu+Mako recording session was a forced and lame scene to show about their gender problems, it turned out to be a plot key for almost all the epic-ness in episode 4 and beyond......................... Conservation of details? I think I should pay more attention

Haven't seen this much drama in 20 something minutes since the days of honey and clover and five centimeters per second. I am glad that i actually forgot about the story, given that I already read the manga... we can have genuine expectations about the future installments (given that this is a well-written piece of slice of life, most of the things will be quite unpredictable).

IMO: the scene where Chiba prayed.. I am not sure why, but it was seriously touchingly epic.
ElaineHeisenbeFeb 4, 2011 5:41 AM
Feb 4, 2011 7:17 AM

Aug 2010
Awww, what a cute ending :]

Feb 4, 2011 7:50 AM

Dec 2010
cleo said:
Both Takatsuki's and Chiba's reactions were so honest and heartfelt, I don't know who to root for anymore.

Ahh so true. Too bad there can only be one Romeo. This is bound to hurt.

Athena said:
and apart from their gender issues, they're all pretty typical middle school kids, I'd say.

I'd say compared to normal teenagers they are amazingly open about their relationships and sexuality. I can't imagine a boy of that age openly dressing like a girl without becoming an outcast in school. Compared to reallife this show seems to be a paradise.

Oh and I thought they already confesed in the pre-strory, not shown in the anime? Wasn't that the 2nd time then?
Feb 4, 2011 8:20 AM

Jan 2010
really interesting episode.

lot of confession going on.
Feb 4, 2011 8:57 AM
Nov 2008
This episode reminded me of how much I like Nitori/Takatsuki. I think it's the supporting cast that I'm struggling with. It probably doesn't help that there are, like, 2 different hair colors in the entire show, and I often find myself forgetting who the characters are.
Feb 4, 2011 9:07 AM

Sep 2010
nznznz said:

I'd say compared to normal teenagers they are amazingly open about their relationships and sexuality. I can't imagine a boy of that age openly dressing like a girl without becoming an outcast in school. Compared to reallife this show seems to be a paradise.

I don't really think a lot of people are aware of his “issues”. His best friend knows and the two girls know but I doubt any of them will tell anyone. His sister knows it, too and hate it...so she won't tell anyone either.
I do agree though that he would make a pretty good target for bullies, but than I am glad that those aren't a problem as right now he already has enough.

About the episode. Very solid as always and enjoyable to watch. I really like the details the the shows keep showing us; they help so much in characterizing all the people in this series (even the very minor ones). Everything feels alive and I always appreciate it, if the creators manage to make me believe that the characters have lives outside the anime.
But I do think the cast is a little bit too big for a 11 episode series and the story jumps around too much. That is why I still like Aoi Hana better, as didn't only feel alive but I genuinely cared for the characters and the plot.
Feb 4, 2011 9:53 AM

Dec 2008
This may just end up being my favorite show of the season!
I cannot stress enough on just how much I LOVE shows that challenge what society dictates as normal.
The dynamics of this episode are incredible.
Nitori wants to be a girl and wants Takatsuki to love him as if he is a girl and he wants to love Takatsuki as if she were a boy. That's really deep!!
I have a better understanding of Chiba, but I still can't stand her. She's fighting a losing battle and will probably really suffer from it. The first part of her prayer should have caused her to get struck by lightening!!
I'm not particularly fond of Anna. I really don't think she dislikes Nitori. I think she may even have a bit of a crush on him, but the only way that she can get her feelings across or get any kind of attention from him is to do annoying, intrusive things. As with this episode, she really didn't intend to hurt him (make him cry). Her purchase of that creepy little thing was her way of apologizing.
Sarashina is my FAVORITE character in this show. She is just a straight up "Imma do me and I don't care what you say about it" gal and I LOVE that!!
Feb 4, 2011 9:56 AM

Jun 2008
I really love this show...the artwork, the drama, the everything.

Lots of confessions happened and more character development.

My guess is that the play will be the season finale...a lot of anime is like that.

5/5. Really great episode.
Feb 4, 2011 10:05 AM

Jun 2009
I can’t get enough of this series. It’s too lovely.

The whole act giving each other’s names is so sweet. I feel bad for Saori; her love for Nitori is really strong, yet unrequited. The moment in which she was praying was touching, well, if not for the amusing additionof “pox” in her pray. I truly don’t know which side to take, it’s hard to decide.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Feb 4, 2011 11:05 AM

Mar 2010
this is so sad this is so sad love triangles are so sad, and i love it.
Feb 4, 2011 1:52 PM

Nov 2009
Villetta_Nu said:
I cannot stress enough on just how much I LOVE shows that challenge what society dictates as normal.

I was looking for that exact sentence, QFT. I saw somebody say that they didn't like it because it went against their morals, but that is the whole point of this show. (if we look at it at an analytical level, besides having plot.) Most times people don't just write up gender benders, at least with this level of depth, for fun. It could be trying to increase openness to the acceptance, and what better way to do it than through a source where morals and reality is already twisted? <---All opinion.

Nice episode. The fact that the relationships are more at war than just being at a standmate lets me accept the triangle going on... Plus they stress other things enough to make up for that. (Wow post is so long...XD)
Feb 4, 2011 2:16 PM

Nov 2008
Oh my God, dramas and heart breaks during middle school? Heck, this wasn't like during my middle school years xDD just playing and loling around, no dramas at all xDD

Chiba is not a bad kid.. She is too honest after all.. Who the heck would be happy when someone you like, likes someone else. You wouldn't get to be friendly with that someone else xDD oh love triangle~ xDD

I think Takatsuki already accepted herself as a girl and not a boy anymore o.o that's why she would reject Nitorin whenever he confess to her as a girl o.o

PS: Who is Saisho? o_O
DenjaXFeb 4, 2011 2:19 PM

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Feb 4, 2011 4:10 PM

Feb 2008
DenjaX said:
Oh my God, dramas and heart breaks during middle school? Heck, this wasn't like during my middle school years xDD just playing and loling around, no dramas at all xDD

Chiba is not a bad kid.. She is too honest after all.. Who the heck would be happy when someone you like, likes someone else. You wouldn't get to be friendly with that someone else xDD oh love triangle~ xDD

I think Takatsuki already accepted herself as a girl and not a boy anymore o.o that's why she would reject Nitorin whenever he confess to her as a girl o.o

PS: Who is Saisho? o_O

The teacher.

Also, I do believe Takatsuki turned down Shuuichi because, and I'm paraphasing him, she said "I don't know what love is."
DamonashuFeb 4, 2011 4:19 PM
Feb 4, 2011 10:24 PM

Aug 2010
I think this show captures what being infatuated with someone in elementary school is like. I think back on my own elementary school days, especially romances and I tend to see alot of those first awkward moments represented in this show.

However, I have difficulty relating to the gender identity element of the show. To be honest, the show has lost me completely on that topic because, on screen at least, the only consistent antagonist has been Nitori's sister and much of that just looks like typical sibling rivalry. I think the anime deals with the gender issue so light-handedly that it fails to deliver much tension on screen. As an example, Nitori started crying because Anna stole his play? Really? I think it was implied that Anna was not being mean-spirited about it but Nitori cries anyway. There are other scenes where Nitori cries and they ask alot of extrapolation from the viewer to grasp at Nitori's feelings. But his feelings are difficult to guess at because they are so unfamilar and often what I see is someone crying for little to no reason. So I am confused, is Nitorin just a coward or does he have REAL legitimate reasons behind his angst? Perhaps in future episodes when there is a real obstacle they will show him develop in his resilience because right now he seems like a sissy, for lack of better word.

Perhaps I am expecting a bit too much problem solving from this series when all it really aims for is to raise questions. There were some interesting questions for Nitori when Chiba asked him how he would continue when he grew up. It seems that Chiba has thought this out even when Nitori has not. Nitori sees there are problems with his wish, he mentioned he knew the changes he would go through during puberty would probably make it impossible for him to continue. I guess it is expected that the audience empathize with this and for a dream deferred, I suppose I do empathize.

I guess I am just bothered by this show because I feel it is a slice of life that aims to have a legitimate plot, but what that plot is seems obscure at this point.
Feb 4, 2011 11:21 PM

Jan 2009
Though I'd really have prepared a 2 cour show with the earlier arc as well, this episode's really making me rethink how this adaption is. I previously wasn't fond of it, but this was a really nice episode, and I'm really liking the development they're showing in Nitori and Takatsuki as individuals.
Feb 5, 2011 12:28 AM

May 2010
I was previously disappointed with how much they skipped ahead from the manga, but I can see now that it wasn't without reason, and I think it was a good move on their part.

As a transgendered person myself, this anime hits pretty close to home for me. It might be me just being silly, but I actually started feeling sick and wanted to stop watching at episode 4, because of how much it spoke to me. I hope that won't happen throughout the rest of the show's run.
I'm an assassin, Dad, not a crazed gunman. Well, the difference being one's a job and the other's mental sickness!
Feb 5, 2011 4:43 PM

Jun 2009
ElaineHeisenbe said:
this show certainly has a great potential to become a masterpiece. We'll see....

That's exactly what i'm thinking. It could be my fav if it goues on like that. These confessions were so touching. And there was some intrigue with this Anna...
i'm waiting for the next episode so badly T_T
Feb 5, 2011 5:40 PM

Nov 2010
...So one love triangle that could ruin everything but how Nitori looks at Takatsuki as a boy and he looks himself as a girl is pretty odd, but there feeling just are awkward at time and with Chiba in the middle it doesn't look it will be getting any better. But hopeful Nitori succeeds in his mission of being a girl, I guess if it's what he wants then it's fine.
Feb 5, 2011 8:13 PM

Oct 2010
Very good episode, but at the same time, it was also dramatic and very sad. . .
Feb 6, 2011 12:37 AM

Apr 2010
Am I the only one that feels bad for Saori? By far she's my favorite character in the series and it feels like the story is treating her badly; I want Saori to be happy and win! >_<

Feb 6, 2011 5:36 AM

Oct 2010
I think this episode was amazing in showing Chiba Saori more so than the name giving with Shuichi and Tatsukichi. Thus I think it is wise to address both of these issues but before that, although it may be rude to say, fuck the Shuichi x Tatsukichi shit. I am sold for Chiba x Shuichi in this episode. Simply the following pic is the reason,

that’s because this pic shows how innocent, religious believing and truly wanting to Shuichi to stop his gender identity disorder Saori is. I totally sold on her and support her more than before with this episode. I think and wonder about Suichi’s gender disorder, is it really mental if even physical itself? Looks to me like Saori showed that she can change Suichi’s problem around.

About Chiba Saori, she knew from the very beginning that Shuichi was distracted by Takatsuki and could not concentrate on the scrip work so I do like how she blurted out mass suicide. It sure worked on Shuichi. Her self realization that she emotional control problems, which could be a problem in regards to anger/verbal outbursts is terrific fleshing out of her character. Her facial expression during Shuichi’s home visit shows she is not too happy. Her angry expression easily revealed that she loves Shuichi despite being frustrated over it and the fact that Makoto asked her that, thus having a feeling of privacy invasion. It’s a sign of maturity. Her flushed out expression showed a part of Chiba that still feels shy yet not giving up. Another self-realization she makes of dumb and stubborn applies quite well towards not only herself but Shuichi going after Tatsukichi. Absolutely loved in the spoiler
about her asking Shuichi about how he likes Tatsukichi. When the teacher proposed to everyone to help out with script Chiba’s angry face more than showed how she felt about it. Rather realistic when you think that it was all she had to be as close and alone with Shuichi as possible.

I kind of like the nice realism of her apartment. It’s got a design a like. Chiba’s blushing was cute when Shuichi was at her place which is the second part that is key in this episode to understand her. Her direct truth about being a girl when you are a boy in the spoiler
showed the truth of how much shit you have to go through to realize all this. BTW I did not know Shuichi got rejected by Tatsukichi already. That’s more than reason enough to sympathize with Saori since she would never do that, which brings me near the end. That
love confession was great!
Although it had not much of a impact on Shuichi. It still reached him quite well. The Church scene is gorgeous.
Rest in spoiler

About preview, I think the following episode is around the middle part of this series but I would like to know how far in the manga it is exactly, regardless the end of summer will be nice to find out what happens during the second half of the summer. Already this episode did a great job of the first half.
Yumekichi11Feb 6, 2011 6:05 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 6, 2011 5:53 PM

Jan 2011
Finally, Shiina!! Ahhh, he looks great!! I wish he would have had more lines though.

I always loved Saori's wit and angry persona, but I never liked her character in the manga, but she is really coming alive in the anime and its great to see a lot of the focus on her.
Feb 6, 2011 7:09 PM

Jun 2009
I don't get what is so attractive on Takatsuki.

Common now Nitori. Chiba is a league better than her.
Feb 6, 2011 7:52 PM

Dec 2007
microx said:
As a transgendered person myself, this anime hits pretty close to home for me. It might be me just being silly, but I actually started feeling sick and wanted to stop watching at episode 4, because of how much it spoke to me. I hope that won't happen throughout the rest of the show's run.

This is just how I felt as well, previously. But I happily shed tears at this episode. :)
Feb 7, 2011 3:21 AM

Jul 2008
nznznz said:
The anime jumped over the bullying he went through in elementary school when a rumor got out that he liked dressing as a girl. I doubt the anime will go into it but (light spoilers)

BEGINNER
Feb 7, 2011 11:47 AM

Aug 2008
For some reason, I wrinkled my nose when Chiba mentioned surgery. That's not cool.
It's all fine and dandy when you have an identity crisis at a tender age. Not so great when you're a grown-up.
Feb 8, 2011 12:16 AM

Nov 2009
this isn't particularly a subject that i'm comfortable with, but even then i love how far they go to do what they truly feel is "normal", it's sweet :3
Feb 8, 2011 6:23 PM

Jul 2009
Very good episode IMO. TBH I loved all the minor things - the strap for one XD
Anyways, had some nice Takatsuki (or w/e) moments and Chiba ones as well I guess. The whole name swapping thing was pretty sweet, but the questions remain like the surgery thing. I like that he wants to do this for himself and not for anyone else
As always, the art and music are lovely
Feb 8, 2011 6:36 PM

May 2010
The confessions were good.
I don't know how to react with Saori but she really makes me want to see more of the series.
Feb 8, 2011 6:46 PM

Nov 2007
darkerealm said:
For some reason, I wrinkled my nose when Chiba mentioned surgery. That's not cool.
It's all fine and dandy when you have an identity crisis at a tender age. Not so great when you're a grown-up.

I disagree.
She's in love with the guy, so it's natural she wants to understand him.
There's a difference between a guy who just likes to crossdress, or a guy who feels like he's a girl trapped in the wrong body.
Up to now she's fine with him crossdressing and thinks he looks cute that way.
But if he's seriously considering surgery, it becomes a different story.
So yeah, I can see why knowing his thoughts about that are important for her.
Feb 9, 2011 12:11 AM

Sep 2009
I really need to actually start reading the manga. Every episode I watch I keep thinking about how there's more background info for this.

I wonder if he will actually try to take legal action to become a female.
Feb 9, 2011 2:37 PM

Apr 2009
saxophone15 said:
I really need to actually start reading the manga. Every episode I watch I keep thinking about how there's more background info for this.

I would be seriously surprised if he didn't.
Feb 10, 2011 1:21 PM

Feb 2010
HikariAce said:
saxophone15 said:

+1. I hope he does... it would make him happy.
Feb 10, 2011 1:21 PM

Feb 2010
HikariAce said:
saxophone15 said:

+1. I hope he does... it would make him happy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jan 13, 2011

261 by Cam1922 »»
Jun 10, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Jan 20, 2011

88 by redheadbros »»
May 22, 10:34 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aversa - Mar 10, 2011

61 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 17, 2011

56 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hannah_Ana - Jan 27, 2011

88 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.