Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 25, 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
That's a chance for Saki and Yuuta to bond together by studing. It looks like she's doing well in school on other subjects except Japanese so that means, she needed help on that.

The mood and narrative remains generally the same again this episode. However, Shiori got some screen time which is somewhat more refreshing. Tbh,
Jul 25, 5:51 AM

Jul 2017
It's been a month since the re-marriage, and Yuta finds himself more accepting of the "stranger" that is Saki, though at the same time, the line blurs of their relationship as stepsiblings.

Saki wanting Yuta to tutor her in modern literture since she didn't get a passing score, though the usual feelings come in the play between the two's relationship that Yuta tries his best not to pry in too much of it. However, there's one question that questions exactly that, bringing into context of Yuta and Saki's relationship, more towards how they respond to each other with the subtleties, with or without experience, not through empathy, but through relation. His faith putting on Yuki that she has the ability to pass the re-test, it emanates a smile out of her.

Yuta wanting Saki to give her all on the focus of her retest, though Narasaka is quite the playful "sister" character who keeps her head up being someone who passes with flying colours. Still though, it's clear that Yuta needs more help, though Narasaka is willing to butt in for some advice, like listening to music while studying (which helps quite a lot). It's the same for his part-time bookstore co-worker Senpai Yomiuri who desires his presence, though he needs to pinpoint a suitable genre for Saki...which is Lofi Hip-Hop (which honestly, is a great way to douse while in the studying mood), which adds to the close friendship of the two that Saki is not jealous about.

More than Yomiuri's GOATed recommendation, this show is a blast, and shows that Ghost Mikawa actually knows his stuff to write with intention, and not for the sake of it.
Jul 25, 6:04 AM

Jul 2017
Gimai Seikatsu's light novels have always been slow in its pacing with some stretches where it can feel like a snail's pace at certain times, not that I was feeling bored of it with the early set of volumes by any means. This was an example of a fairly slow episode to start off the Volume 2 portion of the anime. Saki's struggles with studying for modern literature and Yuuta helps her out and looks for advice through Saki's friend, Maaya, and his colleague, Shiori, for advice. That is pretty much it. Does kind of show off the daily aspect of their lives a bit better this kind of way without having each episode feel too dramatic necessarily, and the lo-fi hip hop selection is a predictable, but nice choice to listen to for studying or even just relaxing from time to time. The relationship Yuuta and Saki have been trying to figure out for the past month is very slowly blurring between lines with subtle transitions and progression taking place. Can understand if people can feel bored with an episode like this since it did mostly revolve around studying and trying to figure out how to effectively do it, which aren't necessarily the most exciting topics out there (especially with a cast that is not exploding with personality and wackiness to make the studying more chaotic). I personally didn't mind this episode though. There are phases like these where not much happens in the series much later on in the books that can be a bit boring or sluggish to read through but those feelings didn't hit me much early on and the same can be said for me with this anime adaptation so far. Music continues to be the highlight, although it didn't need to be as dramatic as a whole this time around compared to the first three episodes.
Jul 25, 6:07 AM

Apr 2010
Narasaka is very playful tho i don't think it's that surprising she does seem to care a lot about others tho.
Yomiura also has a bit of playfulness but it seems she justs likes having someone around who isn't just after her for her looks and treats her like a normal person, at least that's my theory why she gets along well with the main.
The two siblings also seem to be getting along better now their conversation seemed a bit more natural.

Alsa have to say that the art/drawings how you want to call it is surprisingly detailed in the scene with Narasaka you could see the deteriorating paint on the metal from you could see the shade from the leaves on the curtain and you can see the same in the small piece of sunlight on the wall.
There was also the rust on the fence outside on the rood.
It's interesting because one some scenes your missing the faces of the characters yet if you look at the surroundings you see details like a just mentioned.
AversaJul 25, 7:49 AM
Jul 25, 6:38 AM

Jan 2024
Narasaka and senpai has the exact same expression when Yuta said he wants to help Saki😂
I like the relationship Yuta has with his senpai. If it stays like this it will be better, adding romance between these two will create needless love triangle drama with Saki.
But I suspect it's direction they are heading.
Jul 25, 6:48 AM
Dec 2014
Studio Dean taking extra steps to ensure the episode is well adapted and my god, LN readers are having a great time with this anime as the studio is taking extra care with the content and making sure it executed the message for this new volume content
Jul 25, 7:33 AM

Dec 2010
Very contained episode again.

There's only 4 characters that appear (5 if you count the coworker passing by)

Yuta
Saki
Narasaka (red hair)
Encyclopedia Senpai at work

Mostly talking again but I kinda like this vibe.
Jul 25, 7:34 AM

Dec 2010
This episode ended way too quickly. And not in the "was so exciting/engaging that the time flew by so fast" way but in the "pretty much nothing happened" way.
Jul 25, 8:27 AM

Nov 2018
Reply to Chipp12
This episode ended way too quickly. And not in the "was so exciting/engaging that the time flew by so fast" way but in the "pretty much nothing happened" way.
@Chipp12 It's a slice of life. No clue why MyAnimeList didn't include it as a genre.

SEIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jul 25, 9:04 AM

May 2019
Hmm, looks like Saki may be a bit jealous of Yuta's coworker, for a second I thought she would bring up the literature piece from early on where Yuta explained the male character was jealous of the female character talking to other male characters and use that to explain her feelings. Also, the red head was pretty playful with Yuta (she's Saki's friend that showed up at their house right?) so I don't see why she also couldn't help Saki study besides giving advice to Yuta and perhaps she will.
Jul 25, 9:09 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to booyah10
Very contained episode again.

There's only 4 characters that appear (5 if you count the coworker passing by)

Yuta
Saki
Narasaka (red hair)
Encyclopedia Senpai at work

Mostly talking again but I kinda like this vibe.
@booyah10 We also got a glimpse of Ayase Mama working.
Jul 25, 9:15 AM

May 2022
Slow as typical anime narratives go. Nevertheless I continue to find the animation and art for this show to be very beautiful. The scenarios are super chill and the character interactions interesting. So I am still enjoying this show very much. As others have mentioned too.. the music is very good.

As an aside I don't believe Yuuta's senpai likes the main like that. She likely really likes him like a younger brother. For now at least hah.
LordKirkisJul 25, 5:07 PM
Jul 25, 9:21 AM

Aug 2022
Ah, every episode feels increasingly cool and peaceful. Without conflict like this, maybe this is for the best, without forgetting the progress that must be made.

I see Yuuta's attitude getting better, both towards people and Saki, he is a very caring person.

RafaBryanJul 25, 9:27 AM
Jul 25, 9:40 AM

Feb 2019
Another extremely well directed episode. 24 minutes of Saki and Yuta talking and Yuta trying to help Saki improve her grades, but it breezes by because of the natural feeling conversations and direction.

Saki is slowly but surely opening up to Yuta more and their interactions feel a lot smoother now. Can you imagine saki from a couple episodes ago getting in Yuta’s face and asking for help with modern lit? Their heart to heart last week really helped.

It’s a bit ironic that Soseki’s soshiro is the work they’re going over and Saki talks about not understanding people who aren’t direct with their feelings while she herself isn’t honest with Yuta about how she feels for him lol.

Narasaka was only in the episode a couple of minutes but man she brought a fun energy that contrasted to the usual muted and subdued vibes. She might be a lil slow and have a brocon fetish, but she’s actually pretty smart academically and should be able to help Yuta improve Saki’s scores. Would never have guessed that from her sniffing fetish 😭

Yuta’s senpai’s music recs should also help. Sometimes good music can help you retain information as well. Another really solid episode and we are gradually seeing progress with Saki and Yuta’s relationship. Can’t wait for the next ep
Marinate1016Jul 25, 10:20 AM
Jul 25, 9:47 AM
Oct 2019
good episode, his senpai in the library is really cool, I wanted to see them together more
Jul 25, 10:33 AM
May 2023
5 out of 5 for the Lofi music at the end
Jul 25, 10:38 AM
Apr 2023
Trying to understand one thing from episode 1. Have they always gone to the same school and are on the same grade but have never talked to each other before and when they are talking for the first time, they seem to not acknowledge that they have seen each other at school.
Jul 25, 10:46 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
It was okay, what can i say?
Just a chill backround anime like the music lol :3
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jul 25, 10:52 AM
Nov 2022
Well, okay, this episode wasn't as cinematic as last week's but at least it's a little development for Asamura.
Jul 25, 10:57 AM

May 2023
Yuuta could finally give something in return for all that Saki had given him.

so this episode really felt like it flew by and nothing happened in this episode, thanks to the Lofi music at the end, I really liked listening to it when I wanted to study/sleep.
Jul 25, 11:36 AM
Dec 2020
Finally, Yuuta can give something to Saki. They also interacted more and become closer. Slowly but sure.

Love the vibe of this episode, especially the Lofi music at the end.
Jul 25, 11:45 AM
Mar 2015
He really was helpful to her
Jul 25, 12:25 PM

May 2010
This show is so horribly slow and unrealistic. Do people really talk like that over there in japan? Feels like i'm watching robots.

Is anyone really getting something out of this show or are they all simps waiting for a payoff slogging through this mud of unrealistic conversations and interactions.
Jul 25, 12:32 PM
Apr 2021
Can someone recommend some artists who make that kind of music they were listening to?
Jul 25, 12:33 PM

Apr 2021
This one was less dark and depressing than the first 3 episodes.

Their interactions felt more comfortable and light is starting to shine in their eyes.

I hope this upward progress continues and they don't force unneeded drama.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jul 25, 12:37 PM
Sep 2021
can someone give me that BGM name shown in Ep 4
Jul 25, 12:51 PM
Jan 2021
really spent an episode discovering lofi. seriously
Jul 25, 1:11 PM
Jul 2024
Anime very Nice, history nota 8
Jul 25, 1:24 PM

Oct 2014
Gosh. This show’s such an artistic piece.
Being able to watch this on a rainy weather complements it quite well!

Also, Saki and Senpai are gonna meet next EP??
Jul 25, 1:41 PM
Sep 2019
Hmm that bgm was amazing i wonder what's the name
Jul 25, 1:48 PM
Mar 2020
I still love these characters and the overall vibe of the show. Can't help but noting that this episode was a bit slow. Hard to pay attention to. Almost nothing happened. Kept getting distracted.

Really dug that lo-fi track tho and the montage it went with. I'd work to that.
Jul 25, 2:35 PM
Jan 2021
Instead of lofi, she should’ve played death grips
Jul 25, 3:30 PM

Jul 2021
Very slow, but a nice little slice-of-life episode. The show is actually better when they aren't trying to (clumsily) do something dramatic or "deep."

I'm not sure I like Saki's friend at school and Yuuta's senpai at work, though. They're somewhat cute characters, but they feel very "anime" compared to the two main characters, and in a way clash with the general tone of the show.
Jul 25, 4:33 PM

Sep 2018
Mmm, that transition into the song was smooth.
Jul 25, 5:06 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to alphadrenaline
Can someone recommend some artists who make that kind of music they were listening to?
@alphadrenaline
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLljUh0R8_lxSrNiDe9J8Gfx5Pu6hl_Rnc

Check that playlist out, before this series become a LN, it was an youtube series with short skits of the characters talking each other, become extremely popular thus got turned into a LN, the writer of the videos now writing the novel.

The link above is a playlist for the two lofy videos this official channel for the series did a bit after volume 2 was released and brought more people to lofy.

Aside this, the youtube channel with the girl studying with the cat is the most popular lofy channel outhere.

@ejleon
ejleon said:

Their interactions felt more comfortable and light is starting to shine in their eyes.

If you have seen Otonari, you can expect a similar payoff, in short who wants this for romance wont be disappointed, now due to the characters and the setting, you are just going to see a more grounded approach to falling in love and dealing with it.
Jul 25, 5:16 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Playcool
@alphadrenaline
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLljUh0R8_lxSrNiDe9J8Gfx5Pu6hl_Rnc

Check that playlist out, before this series become a LN, it was an youtube series with short skits of the characters talking each other, become extremely popular thus got turned into a LN, the writer of the videos now writing the novel.

The link above is a playlist for the two lofy videos this official channel for the series did a bit after volume 2 was released and brought more people to lofy.

Aside this, the youtube channel with the girl studying with the cat is the most popular lofy channel outhere.

@ejleon
ejleon said:

If you have seen Otonari, you can expect a similar payoff, in short who wants this for romance wont be disappointed, now due to the characters and the setting, you are just going to see a more grounded approach to falling in love and dealing with it.
Playcool said:

I see, there are two "Otonari", the Students with the girl called "Princess" & ”Alien Princess” that helps draw manga, but I liked both so, if it is like them, them I am glad.
ejleonJul 25, 5:27 PM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jul 25, 5:42 PM

Aug 2022
- In case viewers somehow forgot what kind of series this is, Yuuta reminds us with his opening monologue of his relationship with Saki being in an ambigious place.

- With how serious the opening monologue sounded, I was caught me off guard when Saki asks to be tutored in modern literature. How she asked Yuuta could have been mistaken for a romantic proposal in a different context.

- "I can never rally understand how the characters feel..." This line feels like it is less about Saki's understanding of literary characters, and more about how she can't easily read other people's true feelings.

- If this were a different show, Saki's talk of Yuuta knowing her weakpoints, and Yuuta replying he "should have put it more gently" might have been a sexual innuendo. 🙃

- So the book they're studying involves "the feelings of love but not acting on it due to social conventions." How meta....

- Yuuta and Saki find out another thing they both have in common: not having a romantic relationship before.

- How Maaya approached Yuuta at school was... amusingly cute. The episode from this moment on until approximately the 18:30 minute mark would be a departure from the show's typical somber, moody tone. I don't mind it, as it helps in loosening the show's vibe.

- I'm surprised that bookstore sensei didn't try to imply anything suggestive when she found out about Yuuta's quest to aid Saki in studying. You know, like the Private Lessons kind ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

- Didn't expect the episode to include a montage with lofi music. Glad we got to actually listen to the music that was recommended for Saki's study sessions.

- Sorry Saki, but I'm going to have to disagree with your assesement that Yuuta's sensei has "encyclopedic knowledge." 4 episodes in, there's virtually nothing to indicate sensei is a walking encylcopedia. Unless Saki was referring to matters of romance, I guess? I do agree though that sensei has good taste in music.

- The next episode's title sounds interesting in context of the characters. Who will be "the late show" and "the real deal"?

alphadrenaline said:

Just like Saki's redhead friend, I don't have anything in particular to recommend. I just pull up this continuous livestream and let it play in the background:

Jul 25, 5:50 PM
Jan 2017
My Stepsister is still one of the better romances I have seen. The visuals alone are well composed and atmospheric. But two thoughts kept reoccurring to me. The Japanese are well-known for being very polite and considerate. All with the aim of not upsetting individuals or the group. But do they really take it as far as the characters do in this show? The red haired Narasaka-san or Yomiuri, his co-worker, strike me as being much more realistic.

Asamura apologizing, AGAIN, for not finding her a well-paying job. That is a big ask for a high school boy. Why is he STILL apologizing and why isn't she doing any looking? Telling her, "If it's OK with you, I'd be happy to help." This AFTER she asked him to do that and telling him about her failing exam score.

Also, the magic mirror at 17:47 Also, also, that's a beautiful interlude starting at 18:30
Dreadogastus_FJul 25, 5:55 PM
Jul 25, 5:59 PM
Sep 2017
I fell asleep while they were studying and when I woke up they were done studying and the episode ended. lmao it was so boring I couldn't stay awake and didn't care to go back and watch what I missed. 😴
Jul 25, 6:41 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
I’m kinda surprised this whole episode was simply about helping Saki study and improve her literature score, but I gotta say it went by fast and was quite interesting, I like seeing Yuuta figure out what Saki was having trouble with and how to fix it. We also got a bit of Maaya in this one, her bright personality is a great contrast to the two leads and I really welcome it, it also helps that she’s super cute lol. But I gotta say, while I liked her recommendation of using background music while studying, it’s a bit of a shame she just listens to whatever the app gives her lol, I mean they have that option for a reason but I personally think it’s a lot of fun discovering great music yourself.

And later Yomiura put her own recommendation in when it came to the background music and it was a very nice choice, we stepped into a music video for a bit there lol, but while I liked the music choice, I gotta interject that jam bands are absolutely the way, I love doing stuff to a long jammed out song, although Yuuta would probably give me a weird look if I played him one lol. But Yomiura’s pick was a hit with Saki, let’s see if her scores improve now, and we got the ED visuals finally on episode 4 but better late than never, they’re very nice, it fits Kitri’s hot jam.
Jul 25, 6:47 PM
Dec 2021
good Lo-fi recommendation <3 made by Shiori-san. By the way, I feel nostalgic about this
Jul 25, 7:04 PM

Jul 2024
The visuals in this anime never disappoint. The lofi music playing along with the random events happening around the city was beautiful. I love the pacing this anime has. It's comfy in a way
Jul 25, 7:06 PM

Feb 2021
And so they start adapting volume 2, though they completely skipped the prologue of this volume as well as the scene with Tomokazu.
Jul 25, 7:44 PM

Jul 2012
This episode: Lo-Fi Beats To Study To!
Jul 25, 8:44 PM

Jun 2013
Reply to alphadrenaline
@alphadrenaline Nujabes. He's considered one of the greats. His music was featured heavily on Samurai Champloo.

A quintessential tune from Champloo: Aruarian Dance

And one my favorites Another Reflection
Jul 25, 9:06 PM

Apr 2022
some nice cinematography and lofi music. i might have underestimated this show at the start.
Jul 25, 10:49 PM

Apr 2015
Nothing much to say, but I definitely liked this episode more than the last two episodes overall solely on the fact that nothing dramatic happened. The directing and calm atmosphere of the show continue to be the best aspect of this anime. Really like the lo-fi track, that's definitely my favorite kind of music to listen to while studying.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Yesterday, 12:44 AM
Oct 2019
More bonding time, less depressing from previous episode.
Yesterday, 3:01 AM
Jul 2013
its now getting more to "hmmm, that encyclopedia senpai at work again..."

Gimai Seikatsu novel is amazing because it stops at the best part, while this kinda left you hanging.
kinda want to wait for everything but its 2 months away and i just cant.

compared it my relationship with my step sisters, its more "mild" for gimai seikatsu, Of course we don't date each other but we do have that awkward moment on the first month, the time we gel it, and the acceptances that we became "siblings". my case is she is older than me, both of them in fact. always gives me money, facetime on unexpected time just to say hi and "do you need money, i can send it to you" because right now im living on another country.

The atmosphere were spot on which i can relate my first month having 2 step sisters.
also yes they sometimes "jealous" when i talked about my past gfs, comment this and that... that as well spot on. something like these:

"Hoo... went out with A girl again ehhhh... she is not that pretty why bother you went out with her? Me and her? and you choose her? "
"You went out with B right, She is so wasted on you!! tell me how you able to asked her out?"

the most realistic part of this novel is how you paint the atmosphere and daily life with new step sister,
i'd say its pretty realistic.
Yesterday, 4:47 AM

May 2015
Somewhat boring episode about nothing in particular, I feel like this problem didn't really warrant the whole episode dedicated to it, although them getting a bit closer through it is nice, I guess.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ARK-13 - Jun 23

104 by Komlan_6 »»
Yesterday, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ARK-13 - Jun 23

156 by Komlan_6 »»
Yesterday, 3:45 PM

» The author's explanation regarding the reason why Saki offered Asamura her body.

ShiroHachi - Jul 18

44 by SgtBateMan »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Gimai Seikatsu Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ARK-13 - Jun 23

125 by RAPedroso »»
Jul 25, 1:09 PM

» Opening and Ending

ARK-13 - Jul 4

1 by ARK-13 »»
Jul 25, 8:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.