Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 1:42 PM

Sep 2023
What do yall collect? Anime figures, cars, liquor?

I collect military, police, and fire related items. So uniforms, helmets, accessories and such.

Here are some of the things in my collection:

This is my Indian M74 "Kevlar" Helmet. Build Quality is shoddy.

This is my SICOR VFR-EVO Firemans Helmet used by Italian Fire Agencies.

This is my MSA Cairns 660C Metro Firemen's Helmet. This one is one of my favorites as the department it belonged too is local to me.

One of the stranger items in my collection. This is U.S. UCP, or Universal Camouflage Pattern. UCP is best known for blending into nothing other than a couch. However, what makes this strange are the U.S. Army of God Patches. I also have no idea

This is probably my favorite clothing item in my collection. Major Werner G. Gschwendtner is U.S. Air Force airman who appears to have served from 2003 to 2014 in the Air Force's 30th Space Wing. Maj. Gschwendtner unfortunately passed away in 2022, how their uniform with a previous rank ended up at the flea market we may never know.

I have way more if anyone is interested and can post more pictures.

What do you have in your collection? What pieces are your favorites? And are there any oddities among your items?
bevarnowFeb 23, 7:18 PM

Be safe and well travels,
Chris
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 25, 2:05 PM

Jun 2016
This is really cool. I have a roommate who's really into milsurp uniforms, plate carriers, helmets etc. Personally I'm more into the guns than the uniforms, but I think most people are.

As for me I collect typical anime fan stuff. Anime figures, toku sofubi, plushes, manga, LN, Mags, etc. Most of my collection is home video. I have thousands of DVDs, VHS, LD, Beta, and Blu-ray. I think I probably have 2000 anime vhs alone if you include fansubs and TV recordings.
Jan 25, 2:20 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to MrYujufudan
This is really cool. I have a roommate who's really into milsurp uniforms, plate carriers, helmets etc. Personally I'm more into the guns than the uniforms, but I think most people are.

As for me I collect typical anime fan stuff. Anime figures, toku sofubi, plushes, manga, LN, Mags, etc. Most of my collection is home video. I have thousands of DVDs, VHS, LD, Beta, and Blu-ray. I think I probably have 2000 anime vhs alone if you include fansubs and TV recordings.
@MrYujufudan Where do you typically get those? Is it like garage sales and flea markets, or online?

Chris
Jan 25, 2:21 PM

Aug 2022
I collect bones.

I don't dig up graveyards, I just find animal bones on my travels a lot. mainly sheep and cows, but a few bird bones too. if the rot hasn't set into the bones I take them home and clean them.
Jan 25, 2:29 PM

Jun 2016
bevarnow said:
@MrYujufudan Where do you typically get those? Is it like garage sales and flea markets, or online?

Most of my collection was bought online. Sometimes I'll find stuff out in the wild, but most of my collection was bought on yahoo auctions, eBay, Instagram, etc. Most of my buying recently has been taking advantage of the weak yen. Most of my VHS collection was built before the collectibles market exploded in 2020.
Jan 25, 2:30 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to vasipi4946
I collect bones.

I don't dig up graveyards, I just find animal bones on my travels a lot. mainly sheep and cows, but a few bird bones too. if the rot hasn't set into the bones I take them home and clean them.
@vasipi4946 Do you display them afterwards? If so, how so? Also Sakurako-san just like you frfr lol

Chris
Jan 25, 2:31 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to MrYujufudan
bevarnow said:

Most of my collection was bought online. Sometimes I'll find stuff out in the wild, but most of my collection was bought on yahoo auctions, eBay, Instagram, etc. Most of my buying recently has been taking advantage of the weak yen. Most of my VHS collection was built before the collectibles market exploded in 2020.
@MrYujufudan I see. And what kinda got you into collecting them? Cause I know for me its the fact that every piece in my collection has a story, but that story I'll never know. And I just find that really cool for some reason.

Chris
Jan 25, 2:36 PM

Jul 2021
Gym injuries. I don't do it on purpose though.
Jan 25, 2:39 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to JaniSIr
Gym injuries. I don't do it on purpose though.
@JaniSIr Those are the best ones lol, the ones that you don't want to or are out seeking for. Hopefully nothing too major ^^

Chris
Jan 25, 2:50 PM

Jun 2016
bevarnow said:
@MrYujufudan I see. And what kinda got you into collecting them? Cause I know for me its the fact that every piece in my collection has a story, but that story I'll never know. And I just find that really cool for some reason.

Having a collection so connected to the people who used them is definitely appealing. I imagine it's a similar feeling surplus rifle collectors have.

When I moved into my current home I had a ton of space to fill and no shortage of interests. my favorite part of collecting VHS and DVD is seeing all of the ways stuff was released. For example I have 6 different versions of Akira on VHS.

Fansubs are also interesting because they were often times just a small anime club pooling their money together to put out these tapes. I'm not sure which club did it, but one of the famous fansubbing stories was about Five Star Stories. The original author apparently hated the film and insisted it never get re-released (or so the story goes). This made the laserdisc extremely sought after, and a club pooled together $500 to get a copy so it could fansubbed. It was then distributed widely among anime fans, and I have one of those tapes sitting on my shelf.
Jan 25, 3:05 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to MrYujufudan
bevarnow said:

Having a collection so connected to the people who used them is definitely appealing. I imagine it's a similar feeling surplus rifle collectors have.

When I moved into my current home I had a ton of space to fill and no shortage of interests. my favorite part of collecting VHS and DVD is seeing all of the ways stuff was released. For example I have 6 different versions of Akira on VHS.

Fansubs are also interesting because they were often times just a small anime club pooling their money together to put out these tapes. I'm not sure which club did it, but one of the famous fansubbing stories was about Five Star Stories. The original author apparently hated the film and insisted it never get re-released (or so the story goes). This made the laserdisc extremely sought after, and a club pooled together $500 to get a copy so it could fansubbed. It was then distributed widely among anime fans, and I have one of those tapes sitting on my shelf.
@MrYujufudan I see I see, very interesting. Is there anything among your collection that is odd or strange? Like something that should not exist, or an item that has some strange features about it? I have a U.S. M1 Helmet in my collection, and by all accounts this helmet is American and served in one of the branches. But there is someones name written in Arabic written on the liner of the helmet.

Chris
Jan 25, 3:07 PM

Jan 2024
Anything sauropod related, postcards and keychains. Don't have everything in one place so here's a single postcard and a sauropod:
Jan 25, 3:22 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to 0arche
Anything sauropod related, postcards and keychains. Don't have everything in one place so here's a single postcard and a sauropod:
@0arche Very cool very cool. Why sauropods specifically? And for the postcards, is it the designs or the locations that make them interesting?

Chris
Jan 25, 3:32 PM

Feb 2020
I collect a few different things. I should have taken these pics during daytime, as lighting is dogshit in my house...

Game Consoles

Anime figures & acrylic stand figures

Dinosaur movies (some of them anyway)

Dinosaur trading cards

Train numbers, not very exciting lol
Jan 25, 4:05 PM

Jan 2021
Manga, beyblade and pokemon cards.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jan 25, 4:10 PM

Apr 2012
I collected movie brochures as a kid and accumulated maybe a couple hundred, mostly from movies from the early to mid 00s. I also collected non-fiction books for children from one French series, amassing a collection of 6-7 history books. And of course, Pokemon merchandise, video games and Happy Mill toys. In general, much of what was interesting for a child of that time.
Jan 25, 4:11 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Loyal_Sheepling
I collect a few different things. I should have taken these pics during daytime, as lighting is dogshit in my house...

Game Consoles

Dinosaur trading cards

@LightWorker Were you a dinosaur fan too? Strangely, it was very popular at the end of the 20th century, but seems to have gradually disappeared in the 21st.
Jan 25, 4:15 PM

Feb 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@LightWorker Were you a dinosaur fan too? Strangely, it was very popular at the end of the 20th century, but seems to have gradually disappeared in the 21st.
@RobertBobert Dinosaurs are kinda like a comfort item for me😅 I loved them since School around 1993-4, just reminds me of happier times. But yes I am.
Jan 25, 4:19 PM

Jan 2024
Reply to bevarnow
@0arche Very cool very cool. Why sauropods specifically? And for the postcards, is it the designs or the locations that make them interesting?
@bevarnow thank you!

Why sauropods specifically?

Was obsessed with them since childhood, no idea why.

And for the postcards, is it the designs or the locations that make them interesting?

Mostly designs, I like all kinds of illustrations:
Jan 25, 4:19 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Loyal_Sheepling
@RobertBobert Dinosaurs are kinda like a comfort item for me😅 I loved them since School around 1993-4, just reminds me of happier times. But yes I am.
@LightWorker I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a child. To such an extent that my mother still likes to remind me of how she took me to the movies to see Jurassic Park 2 and I tried to calm down the girl on the screen (I was 7 or 8 years old) by saying that the dinosaur she saw did not eat others animals.
Jan 25, 4:22 PM

Mar 2008
Only collection I currently have i still add to is bottle caps from beer bottles and sometimes soda bottles and I sometimes addd to my polished rock and crystal collection. Before then I had a small collection of playing cards I pick up from different places but I lost interest in doing that.

Oh yeah and i have a keychain collection but I dont know where it went to :c

If i had the money id probably start collecting anime merch and vintage objects like lighters and old technology and also tarot cards.

vasipi4946 said:
I collect bones.

Youre not a proper bone collector unless you have a redneck toothpick as in a raccoon baculum.

Anyway I once came across some bones but I just left them be because I felt sorry for the animal and i wasnt sure if it was a cat skull or a raccoon skull, i think it was a raccoon though after inspecting it's anatomy.
Jan 25, 4:41 PM

Jun 2016
bevarnow said:
@MrYujufudan I see I see, very interesting. Is there anything among your collection that is odd or strange? Like something that should not exist, or an item that has some strange features about it? I have a U.S. M1 Helmet in my collection, and by all accounts this helmet is American and served in one of the branches. But there is someones name written in Arabic written on the liner of the helmet.

That's interesting. When my dad was stationed in Iraq, they had a problem with helmets getting stolen. Maybe it was something like that. Or even one that found its way into the Middle East after WWII, like so much surplus did.

I don't have anything nearly as interesting. I believe I do have a misprinted Fushigi Yugi tape. If I remember right, the slip case says subbed in one place and dubbed in another. So that's definitely something that shouldn't exist.
Jan 25, 5:07 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to Loyal_Sheepling

Game Consoles

Dinosaur trading cards

@LightWorker I also have a small collection of consoles. Most of them I paid too much for and don't work lol. With the train numbers, is it something where you identify a train and try to get a picture of it or what?

Chris
Jan 25, 5:08 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to FZREMAKE
Manga, beyblade and pokemon cards.
@FZREMAKE Tbh I did not know Beyblades were still somewhat popular. Are they still making them? Or is everything you collect used and such

Chris
Jan 25, 5:09 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to RobertBobert
I collected movie brochures as a kid and accumulated maybe a couple hundred, mostly from movies from the early to mid 00s. I also collected non-fiction books for children from one French series, amassing a collection of 6-7 history books. And of course, Pokemon merchandise, video games and Happy Mill toys. In general, much of what was interesting for a child of that time.
@RobertBobert Any specific Happy Meal toy sticks with you?

Chris
Jan 25, 5:10 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to 0arche
@bevarnow thank you!

Why sauropods specifically?

Was obsessed with them since childhood, no idea why.

And for the postcards, is it the designs or the locations that make them interesting?

Mostly designs, I like all kinds of illustrations:
@0arche Ah ok. How many of both do you have in your collection? Any sauropods on a postcard?

Chris
Jan 25, 5:12 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to traed
Only collection I currently have i still add to is bottle caps from beer bottles and sometimes soda bottles and I sometimes addd to my polished rock and crystal collection. Before then I had a small collection of playing cards I pick up from different places but I lost interest in doing that.

Oh yeah and i have a keychain collection but I dont know where it went to :c

If i had the money id probably start collecting anime merch and vintage objects like lighters and old technology and also tarot cards.

vasipi4946 said:
I collect bones.

Youre not a proper bone collector unless you have a redneck toothpick as in a raccoon baculum.

Anyway I once came across some bones but I just left them be because I felt sorry for the animal and i wasnt sure if it was a cat skull or a raccoon skull, i think it was a raccoon though after inspecting it's anatomy.
@traed I also want to start collecting anime merch, but I yearn for the helmets. And just start collecting iPods or something, you'll be a billionaire in a 10 years lol

Chris
Jan 25, 5:14 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to MrYujufudan
bevarnow said:

That's interesting. When my dad was stationed in Iraq, they had a problem with helmets getting stolen. Maybe it was something like that. Or even one that found its way into the Middle East after WWII, like so much surplus did.

I don't have anything nearly as interesting. I believe I do have a misprinted Fushigi Yugi tape. If I remember right, the slip case says subbed in one place and dubbed in another. So that's definitely something that shouldn't exist.
@MrYujufudan Indeed, thats why I like collecting these items. Theres a story there that I'll never know. And I would think that it being subbed and dubbed in separate places would be somewhat normal, but I take as it not. Why so?

Chris
Jan 25, 5:22 PM

Jun 2016
Reply to bevarnow
@MrYujufudan Indeed, thats why I like collecting these items. Theres a story there that I'll never know. And I would think that it being subbed and dubbed in separate places would be somewhat normal, but I take as it not. Why so?
@bevarnow Because VHS could only have one audio or video track you had to buy either dubbed or subbed releases. If I remember right it says dubbed on the front, but subbed on the spine. It should just say dubbed since the tape was dubbed. It was more expensive to dub anime rather than just subbing it, but because subs were less in demand they actually cost $5 more per tape. Not to mention the people going out of thier way to buy subbed tales were willing to pay the price.
Jan 25, 5:45 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to MrYujufudan
@bevarnow Because VHS could only have one audio or video track you had to buy either dubbed or subbed releases. If I remember right it says dubbed on the front, but subbed on the spine. It should just say dubbed since the tape was dubbed. It was more expensive to dub anime rather than just subbing it, but because subs were less in demand they actually cost $5 more per tape. Not to mention the people going out of thier way to buy subbed tales were willing to pay the price.
@MrYujufudan Ah ok I see. From a financial standpoint, I could see whoever the publisher was just printing both onto the case instead of two. But still nonetheless strange.

Chris
Jan 25, 5:55 PM

Jun 2016
bevarnow said:
@MrYujufudan Ah ok I see. From a financial standpoint, I could see whoever the publisher was just printing both onto the case instead of two. But still nonetheless strange.

It was likely just a mistake by the slip designer. If you're designing both sub and dub slips, it's an easy mistake to make. It's fun to find little accidents like that.

Have you ever found a piece of a uniform that was manufactured incorrectly or repaired in an interesting way?
Jan 25, 6:10 PM

May 2022
Game Collection

Small CD Collection (It's basically some CDs from my parents old collection + some Linkin Park CDs I added.)

I also collect DVDs, Blu-rays and a few Pokemon cards but didn't take a picture.

Jan 25, 6:19 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
It shouldn't be surprising, being on an anime forum but I collect anime and manga. Mostly manga these days. Aside from that, I collect books, typically about art and economics, plushies, figures, games (video games and physical games), art prints, and whatever else strikes my interest.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jan 25, 6:24 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to bevarnow
@traed I also want to start collecting anime merch, but I yearn for the helmets. And just start collecting iPods or something, you'll be a billionaire in a 10 years lol
@bevarnow
Well cosplay helmets is a thing.

Nah no interest in investment as a hobby it's just a goofy approach to things. Id mainly just want stuff i can actually use.
Jan 25, 6:27 PM

Feb 2021
I collect manga light novels.
But also figures and blu-rays.

I also have a small soccer jersey collection.

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=737174
https://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Madaniel_FL
Jan 25, 6:34 PM

Jan 2023
Manga and light novels, before that were Beyblades. Please don't mind how there's manga across different series but not fully completed, I've made bad choices and will shift my focus to completing the series I collect (the ones I like at least) :)

Oh and above, there's a CSM Youtooz and a M1A4 Juggernaut figure configurated to Kurena's loadout.

Jan 25, 7:29 PM

Oct 2018
Fat, around my midriff...

Aside from that, I have a fairly decent sized MTG collection, and a small retro game collection.

Dreaming 'bout long gone things;
Days, on end, repeating infinitely.
Like the inside of a never-ending dream,
Whilst looking for the endless morn...
Only to return to the dream again
Jan 25, 7:58 PM

Feb 2020
Right now I only collect ice hockey cards.
Jan 25, 9:18 PM

Aug 2021
coins or tbh alot of pokemon cards tho
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 9:55 PM

Feb 2018
- Character Dolls -

- Character Figures -

- Mecha Models -

- Anime Blu-Ray Discs/DVDs/LaserDiscs/Videocassettes/Etc. -

- Manga, Anime Artbooks/Magazines/Etc. -

MasterTasukeJan 25, 10:13 PM
Jan 25, 10:25 PM

Jun 2019
Old books, nothing too fancy and I have never spent thousands of dollars on a single one, but I own some copies from the early 19th century (currently, I am looking for the first 1795 edition of Chamfort's Complete Works). They used to be cheap until Americans started to create collections of "rare and precious" books in the 1920s as André Weil explains it in his autobiography. Why? Because some editions were never reprinted, they are not only typically more agreeable to read (and display more often than not excellent sets of notes), and more pleasant to the eye, some older translations are never reedited, and they are usually much better than the ones available in libraries. For 20th century literature, they can be quite cheap, especially if you find them in unorthodox places like yard sales, though that may be common knowledge. Generally, only the first printings are truly expensive, I could almost buy a first edition of Ulysses for $150 (it was the 11th printing) in a library a couple of years ago, but it had sadly already been reserved... 'Tis sad to think that only blasé millionaires can afford this kind of books today:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/jun/04/ulysses-sells-record-price

What a ridiculous snobbery! I doubt that they even read those books, they probably also buy paintings to put them in a safe!

I was not sure to post pictures here, but people like Monotonous and Illuminatli might appreciate them.
Jan 25, 11:46 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to bevarnow
@FZREMAKE Tbh I did not know Beyblades were still somewhat popular. Are they still making them? Or is everything you collect used and such
@bevarnow yes they are still sold here but they aren't as popular as they used to be. Also, I have pretty much stopped collecting them. Maybe just one in every two years.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jan 25, 11:49 PM

Feb 2020
Reply to bevarnow
@LightWorker I also have a small collection of consoles. Most of them I paid too much for and don't work lol. With the train numbers, is it something where you identify a train and try to get a picture of it or what?
@bevarnow Yeah same here for some of them ahahaha😅 although most were reasonably priced at the time, more so than now😬

Some do different things, I strike off the trains I've seen & mark ones I've rode on, usually the goal is to see all of one 'class' of Train/Loco, but I've only managed to do that once. I do take pictures also, but that's a sort-of separate hobby. My Dad loved Trains and I got the love & hobby from him.
Jan 26, 12:59 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to MrYujufudan
bevarnow said:

It was likely just a mistake by the slip designer. If you're designing both sub and dub slips, it's an easy mistake to make. It's fun to find little accidents like that.

Have you ever found a piece of a uniform that was manufactured incorrectly or repaired in an interesting way?
@MrYujufudan Not necessarily. With uniforms are made, its just random patterns of camouflage thats made into the garment. So sometimes you may get something that has more of one color and not enough of the other. I do have a Polish helmet in my collection that has a massive dent in it, and as a result as it repainted in a completely color that it should not be.

Chris
Jan 26, 1:00 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to -Fantastical-
Game Collection

Small CD Collection (It's basically some CDs from my parents old collection + some Linkin Park CDs I added.)

I also collect DVDs, Blu-rays and a few Pokemon cards but didn't take a picture.

@Preverious0 My father and my uncle bought an Original Xbox when they were and never used it. Still works to this day but I do not have any games for it. Any recommendations?

Chris
Jan 26, 1:01 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to DreamWindow
It shouldn't be surprising, being on an anime forum but I collect anime and manga. Mostly manga these days. Aside from that, I collect books, typically about art and economics, plushies, figures, games (video games and physical games), art prints, and whatever else strikes my interest.
@DreamWindow Theres also a few pieces of art re-prints in my collection of nonsense. Do you scenes of specific things? Or do you just like the pieces for the style?

Chris
Jan 26, 1:02 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to traed
@bevarnow
Well cosplay helmets is a thing.

Nah no interest in investment as a hobby it's just a goofy approach to things. Id mainly just want stuff i can actually use.
@traed Well some do, I do not cosplay with the helmets in my collection (except the two times I did). And yea thats honestly fair. Pocketknives would be a good investment maybe.

Chris
Jan 26, 1:04 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to MadanielFL
I collect manga light novels.
But also figures and blu-rays.

I also have a small soccer jersey collection.

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=737174
https://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Madaniel_FL
@MadanielFL Jerseys from any specific team? Or just in general. And nice to see a fellow Floridian here lol

Chris
Jan 26, 1:05 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to BitChilly
Manga and light novels, before that were Beyblades. Please don't mind how there's manga across different series but not fully completed, I've made bad choices and will shift my focus to completing the series I collect (the ones I like at least) :)

Oh and above, there's a CSM Youtooz and a M1A4 Juggernaut figure configurated to Kurena's loadout.

@BitChilly I can see you're already suffering from the pain of running out of space to put stuff. Honestly same lol

Chris
Jan 26, 1:06 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to Fleeting_Dream
Fat, around my midriff...

Aside from that, I have a fairly decent sized MTG collection, and a small retro game collection.

@Fleeting_Dream For the MTG cards, how long have you been collecting?

Chris
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why aren't Americans rioting over the fact that McDonalds is now a Luxury Item?

vasipi4946 - May 30

32 by Sad »»
14 minutes ago

» Why don't you have a cat/dog?

tsukareru - Yesterday

20 by dreamingneon »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Which of these 6 things matters most to you?

IpreferEcchi - 6 hours ago

15 by Noboru »»
24 minutes ago

» How much soda do you drink in a week? ( 1 2 )

HunteerX - May 16

68 by dreamingneon »»
28 minutes ago

» Do you love anyone in your life? ( 1 2 )

LenRea - Mar 31

55 by dreamingneon »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.