Forum Settings
Forums

why is the 'avant garde' genre the most popular among elitists ?

New
May 12, 2023 8:39 PM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
i see almost every elitist talk idk low about most popular animes but they tend to enjoy NGE, SEL, Angel's Egg, Haibane Renmei, Texhnozyle or something like that.
what is the common things among them ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 12, 2023 8:47 PM

Jul 2016
Idk those shows are more cinematic and have more mature themes than your typical shounen or isekai. Probably better too
May 12, 2023 8:48 PM

Aug 2021
Creativity.
A lot of mainstream shows follow a similar line that's popular but tweak a few aspects here and there to make them their own. On the other hand most avant garde anime are almost entirely unique, wether that be for better or for worse. There's more to unpack in the episodes from a visual or story standpoint so they tend to seem 'deeper'.
May 12, 2023 8:49 PM

Jun 2012
soniyay said:
i see almost every elitist talk idk low about most popular animes but they tend to enjoy NGE, SEL, Angel's Egg, Haibane Renmei, Texhnozyle or something like that.

You do? I don't and I've been around anime fanbases for a very long time.
May 12, 2023 9:11 PM

Nov 2018
soniyay said:

I'm not even quite sure what you mean by "elitist" but if you are just referring to anime fans who have watched way too many anime then I think the question kind of answers itself. "Avant-garde" means new and experimental. If you have already watched hundreds or even thousands of anime then you are going to be pretty bored with all the stuff you've seen done to death a hundred times in mainstream anime. You are going to want something fresh and new to experience. That's just how people are.
MeltingSkyMay 13, 2023 7:02 PM
May 12, 2023 9:33 PM

Feb 2022
Low quality shows (mostly) that introduce something novel just for the sake of it (mostly).
Like aku no hana, a well received and highly acclaimed masterpiece among our MAL's eminently deranged pseuds.
May 12, 2023 9:40 PM

Aug 2018
Because french is a language for fancy pants prissy boys
May 12, 2023 9:53 PM

Jan 2021
Exactly for the same reason normies (don't take it as a slang, people who don't have enough experience to something is called normie) likes Shounens!..theres a target audeince base for everything.

Anyway the animes you mentions has few things in common that I have noticed.

1. Good Direction
2. A gloomy and stong atmosphere
3. Less quirky.
3. Complex Nararrative (You need to pay attention  to everything and think whats going on)
4. Mature themes
TaifSuxMay 12, 2023 11:46 PM
May 12, 2023 9:53 PM

Nov 2015
they weren't just run-of-the-mill, they were special. just like elitists
and i guess

that i just don't know
May 12, 2023 9:58 PM

Jan 2023
How come everyone here always cries when folk make fun of shit they like, but then they come on here and make fun of “elitists” for liking weird anime? A bit ironic, right?
May 12, 2023 10:00 PM

Sep 2010
soniyay said:
Simple - because those anime are not straightforward in asking questions and giving answers for them, so a viewer is filling in the blanks by his own, i.e. everybody sees there what they want to see.

Like, Texhnolyze is Ur Example - it's Buddhism For Dummies The Animation, so any Westerner who's not familiar with Buddhism basics will feel Deep Meaning(tm) behind it, allowing him to feel smart and mature.

Shinseiki Evangelion, on the other hand, is Bug Turned Feature - it was basically creators' psychological rehabilitation cut short but he managed to turn it into something... else, nobody seen this becoming a huge hit, and even when it did, it were still teens wanting big robots thrashing big monsters, with a dash of mindfuck, that's why they made End Of - to satisfy raging teen fans. Later they pretended that It's All According To Keikaku, but old fans that actually read newspaper interviews still remember... +)

Normally with age you see those anime differently.

Also, actual elitists enjoy Legend of Gaylactic Heroes. XD

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
May 12, 2023 10:14 PM

Jan 2021
Anime fans when the show doesn't spoodfeed them information, is vague as fuck. = masterpiece

Seriously. I don't trust elitists. Fckn neckbeards. 

I have seen only NGE from the list. Terrible. If people think static animation is great, wow what a great evaluation. 

Girl gets connected to some link, people think it is great, dafuq
Kazari29May 12, 2023 10:18 PM
May 12, 2023 10:15 PM

Aug 2018
Why? Because they generally are interesting, it's not something that you enjoy turning your brain off. They usually are a unique experience that you won't get with another thing. I don't think I'm an elitist, but I clearly see their point even if I don't like all of them. It's just good stuff, that is why people still talk about them.
May 12, 2023 10:19 PM

Sep 2020
Maybe because they’re quite different from most anime.
May 12, 2023 10:40 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Bizzare, unique, obscure, anti-mainstream, people like this type of show either have a weird taste or rather just try to stand out. 
May 12, 2023 10:44 PM

Sep 2010
kizumi91 said:
 obscure, anti-mainstream
NGE is anything but those two tho. +)

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

May 12, 2023 10:48 PM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
Combination of pseudo-intellectualism and hipsterism, in alot of ways it's similar when people admire modern art and find deep meaning in something that is meaningless.
Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

May 12, 2023 11:03 PM

Jul 2021
mushroomcloud said:
Idk those shows are more cinematic and have more mature themes than your typical shounen or isekai. Probably better too

If I had to pick between those and isekai, then I'd legitimately chose the isekai.
May 12, 2023 11:09 PM

Jan 2017
I would not describe Haibane Renmei as avant-garde, lmao.
Being real I think an actual elitist just "likes" them because it's whatever their favorite anime youtuber thinks is good, no real reasoning. They haven't really had time to explore their real tastes--otherwise they wouldn't be an elitist.

Weird nerds like them because artsy-fartsy idiots like artsy-fartsy shit. I am an artsy-fartsy idiot. Out of the ones I've seen on this list I thought they were pretty creative. Idk, I've seen people count Utena as avant-garde with how it utilizes symbolism and the animation techniques it employs, and that's one of my three favorite anime. The other two are kind of basic sci-fi picks, according to most people. It really just depends on what kind of art appeals to you in particular.

But seriously, what even counts as avant-garde? Does it matter? NGE is a pretty standard real robot anime. Scummy critics who believe in low art and high art would classify one work as such, but not classify another that meets their criteria just because they don't like it. None of this matters. Also I think all of the shows you mentioned have vastly different appeal; I think there are plenty of people who might like Haibane Renmei and Angel's Egg, but dislike NGE and SEL for example.

I'm also a little baffled by the "anti-elitists" (more like anti-intellectuals at this point) who insist all these stories are meaningless though. Media literacy is not the bad part, separating "high art" from "low art" and acting like specific genres are exempt from powerful storytelling is.
My pronoun is he, because I'll never be him.
May 12, 2023 11:22 PM

Feb 2020
Of course there is an elitist thread within the first hour of the site being back up.. I missed you MAL :'-)
May 12, 2023 11:23 PM

Sep 2010
trulywaath said:
I would not describe Haibane Renmei as avant-garde, lmao.
Well, but, apparently, MAL think it is.
trulywaath said:
NGE is a pretty standard real robot anime.
It wasn't at the time of creation. That's why too many people just love to call it "deconstruction" (which is wrong and outright stupid anyway, because it's a tool, not a genre).

May 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Sep 2020
I'm far more confused with what counts as avant-garde and what doesn't on this site than by the anime themselves. Oh, and people like whatever they wanna enjoy, it ain't that deep.
May 12, 2023 11:36 PM

Jan 2017
kitsune0 said:
trulywaath said:
NGE is a pretty standard real robot anime.
It wasn't at the time of creation.

Oh it absolutely was standard at the time of its creation, at least as far as I'm aware. I am speaking as someone who's mostly only seen pre-NGE mecha. I don't mean this as a dig at Eva by any means either; I love it. It's not like it's not unique at all, but every show in that genre was pretty unique, for the most part. Eva treads a lot of similar ground as earlier SF works... being a homage to its predecessors, after all.
trulywaathMay 12, 2023 11:42 PM
My pronoun is he, because I'll never be him.
May 12, 2023 11:56 PM

Sep 2010
trulywaath said:
kitsune0 said:
It wasn't at the time of creation.

Oh it absolutely was standard at the time of its creation, at least as far as I'm aware. I am speaking as someone who's mostly only seen pre-NGE mecha. I don't mean this as a dig at Eva by any means either; I love it. It's not like it's not unique at all, but every show in that genre was pretty unique, for the most part. Eva treads a lot of similar ground as earlier SF works... being a homage to its predecessors, after all.
Well, I'm also somewhat versed in old mecha - like, I didn't watched Gundam, but I've been around its fans, so yeah, while in whole Shinseiki Evangelion didn't bring any new, groundbreaking plot turns since every twist can be tracked back to old mecha, but in sum it still was fairly unique. Been there, done that, to Hell and back. Same discussion as with Sailor Moon fags and Madoka fans, sorry. +) (And I love both Evangelion and Madoka.) Also, many of old mecha actually were pretty similar - like, the whole trope of hot-blooded pilot, or another classic - Extraterrestrial Princess, which basically gave birth to kuudere type.

May 13, 2023 12:05 AM

Dec 2019
They're actual unique creations intended to be viewed as works of art instead of appealing to the lowest common denominator (ie. normies) and trendhopping / capitalizing on what's popular to make cash like most popular or run of the mill shows. There's usually a lot more depth to them in terms of cinematography, themes and writing and there's usually a lot to unpack requiring viewers to actually think. They tend to be experimental in nature.

Or a different kind of experimental bullshit. Either way, they mainly aim toward offering the viewer a unique (and sometimes purposefully bizarre) experience that gets them thinking and are meant to be viewed as art rather than entertainment (can be both though).

VexingCurses said:
How come everyone here always cries when folk make fun of shit they like, but then they come on here and make fun of “elitists” for liking weird anime? A bit ironic, right?

^
May 13, 2023 12:23 AM

Nov 2011
This is how the journey of most anime watchers:
1) Battle Shonen
2) Most popular genre of the era (RPG-like Isekai in recent years)
3) Rom-com and some most popular CGDCT
4) Drama
5) Elitist stuff you mentioned, many of them are Psychological
6) CGDCT is the best thing anime industry ever created !!!
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 13, 2023 12:28 AM
作画

Nov 2019
I think this is just you associating people who like this kind of shows to the "elitist" stereotype, you're not to blame though, normies do this all the time
May 13, 2023 12:32 AM

Apr 2021
cuz they think it makes them the aristotle of anime
beep!
MAL's Little Raccoon #2
made by hearingnote

matching w/ sekai-

May 13, 2023 12:39 AM

Dec 2020
"why is the 'avant garde' genre the most popular among elitists ?"
Liking avant-garde is almost like a part of the definition of what an elitist is. So it doesn't really make sense to ask that question.

May 13, 2023 1:07 AM

Dec 2018
The 'avant garde' genre is popular among elitists because they believe it makes them look sophisticated and edgy..
May 13, 2023 1:21 AM

Apr 2023
Idk, have been called an elitist many times, but the only one i enjoyed was Evangelion.
May 13, 2023 1:28 AM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
VexingCurses said:
My thoughts exactly. Even funnier when they ridicule them for having similar taste while their list looks identical to several others.
May 13, 2023 1:32 AM

Oct 2016
First of all the avant-garde genre here, used to be dementia before, keep that in mind when you think how trustworthy the definition is in here.

Basically, an anime elitist is udually a veteran, or imitating a veteran, it's tired of the same things present everywhere in the medium, and thus gravitates towards the stuff that finds most unique, like those well known examples (btw none of them can be called obscure anymore).
May 13, 2023 1:36 AM

May 2019
This is a common theme in all art forms. First of all, "quality" in written artforms is determined by how much a story can make you pleasantly anticipate exploring the future of the story. This is done by adding more detail that builds your characters, plot and world in an interesting way. This builds your expectations up to see this story answer plenty of questions you pondered about it. What avantgarde is in a story form, is simply a story told in a "unique" way. Usually ignoring the basic rules of story telling to add nothing but uniqueness. Some people however enjoy this because the added element of unpredictability is enjoyable to them. If you are really someone who looks deeply into all aspects of a story, an avantgarde story is usually just a story that is missing basic requirements of an enjoyable story. However "elitists" are people who blindly assume that they know what a good story is. And as avantgarde is both less mainstream and "unique" it's is for people to identify "different" with special, without even being able to breakdown the reason why.
"Equivalent exchange. I'll give half of my life to you, if you give half of your life to me."
May 13, 2023 1:50 AM

Mar 2023
Because weird shit are cool. I kind of like to watch stuff than confuses me.
May 13, 2023 2:13 AM

Mar 2012
I don't know about elitist but what I love the most in those show is the atmosphere, the vibe.
May 13, 2023 2:17 AM

Sep 2010
One thing this thread proofs for sure: Elitists are snowflakes. XD You just use the damn word in your thread title and they come crawling out of their caves to cry "why are you making fun of us?!" even though all you did was just asking a simple damn question without any negative implications. +))))
Which, in turn, proofs that they are no different from so-called "noobs" - both takes their Japanese cartoons seriously and gets offended when someone speaks badly about it. Or if they think that someone speaks badly about it. XD

May 13, 2023 2:58 AM

Oct 2011
They're very artistic/more creative and thought provoking. Battle shounens aren't and are designed to be made for teens so they can turn their brain off.

I often prefer avant-garde myself, but I've watched so many avant-garde shorts, and most of them are shit, despite being interesting to watch.
May 13, 2023 3:36 AM

Apr 2020
You really need to ask why Elitist's like avant garde? xD

I think it's pretty self explanatory. It' against the trend, against new stuff and changes, while beeing supposedly revolutionary, at the same time. It's the TRUE form of Anime xD
It's what nobody understands, cause everyone is soooo lame and simple, nowadays.

See?^^
May 13, 2023 4:04 AM

Oct 2018
Sub Vs dub: ✅
Elitists: ✅

Even with MAL off for 3 days, we still got the whole MAL week experience.

And the most popular genre between elitists is battle shounen.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 13, 2023 4:06 AM

Aug 2020
The courage, creativity and boldness.

May 13, 2023 5:17 AM

Sep 2020
Deep/philosophical/intelectual stuff or smt like that
May 13, 2023 5:57 AM

Dec 2015
soniyay said:

Idk but they tend to talk about stuff which were popular when they aired x)
Don't worry in 2040-2050 the "elitilist" will be people who will low rate the shows from 2040s-2050s and who will tend to enjoy Demon Slayer, MHA, Jujutsu Kaisen etc.
May 13, 2023 6:55 AM

Sep 2010
Zettaiken said:
Don't worry in 2040-2050 the "elitilist" will be people who will low rate the shows from 2040s-2050s and who will tend to enjoy Demon Slayer, MHA, Jujutsu Kaisen etc.
No, they will not. Long-ass shounens never going to be elitist shit. Dragonball and Ranma 1/2 never did, to name just a couple. They will probably would be talking about shit that isn't very popular right now, like Aku no Hana or Chihayfuru - shit that only a handful of fags watched. Thankfully, I'll be either too old or just plaid dead to care, lol.

May 13, 2023 7:05 AM

May 2015
Maybe because you define elitists as "the guys who are mostly watching 'avant garde'".
May 13, 2023 7:36 AM

Aug 2020
Bcoz they're atypical and/or experimental. Well "avant-garde" itself means "new and experimental ideas and methods in art, music, or literature" so there's your answer. Avant-garde anime is also known to explore darker, more mature and more serious themes such as nihilism, morality, existence etc.
May 13, 2023 8:01 AM

Dec 2015
kitsune0 said:
Zettaiken said:
No, they will not. Long-ass shounens never going to be elitist shit. Dragonball and Ranma 1/2 never did, to name just a couple. They will probably would be talking about shit that isn't very popular right now, like Aku no Hana or Chihayfuru - shit that only a handful of fags watched. Thankfully, I'll be either too old or just plaid dead to care, lol.

Than just change genre from Shounen into hmmmm I suppose Psychological than suddenly my point will be on point, it was an example of titles not the exact prediction of future...

Than going back to what I said, the mentioned titles amount imaginary "elitist" are the shows from 90-00s popular stuff with some focus on theme of Psychological than let's replace them with something from 10s-20s which will be mentioned in 2040-2050 and here I have in mind something like let's say, Stein's;Gate, Cyberpunk, Wixoss, Chaos Child, Psycho-Pass etc. Than it will happen again in 2060-2070, than 2080-2090...

You've focused on titles I've written while missing the main point/meaning of my post x)
May 13, 2023 9:09 AM

Jan 2016
EyeAmTheI said:
PS: By the way, apart from Angel's Egg none of your examples are really avant garde. It seems like MAL uses avant garde tag on everything which is not your "yet an another generic romcom/shounen/isekai" and hard to categorize.

I feel like the tag psychological is used very wildly around here too... but hey, remember when they called everything dementia instead?

May 13, 2023 9:32 AM

Nov 2020
Because they can't respond "You won't get it" or "You simply can't understand why it's complex" lol

Seriously that's surely like avant garde novel and art in general, It's like an anime "bourgeoisie" that thinks they read "upper mangas" idk

May 13, 2023 1:08 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Jim_Heart said:
This is how the journey of most anime watchers:
1) Battle Shonen
2) Most popular genre of the era (RPG-like Isekai in recent years)
3) Rom-com and some most popular CGDCT
4) Drama
5) Elitist stuff you mentioned, many of them are Psychological
6) CGDCT is the best thing anime industry ever created !!!
7) Anime made for prepubescent girls.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Recommendations of Disappointment

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

36 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you think that hype is a bad thing?

fluffycow17 - Apr 20, 2022

48 by Serafos »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 6 hours ago

16 by FanofAction »»
8 minutes ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 3 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

111 by Azulmagia88 »»
23 minutes ago

» How stylish is your favouite character?

SgtBateMan - Jun 9

18 by dreamingneon »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.