Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 23, 2023 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
I think it's great they are making Einar into a stronger person and giving himself a reason to live in that world. It's part of his own character development to adapt with a new lifestyle.

There's a lot of emotions and fear instilled into this episode. On the other hand, Olmar's personality and reactions were hard to watch..in particular for his own inferiority complex. This guy has no confidence in himself.
Jan 23, 2023 8:00 AM

May 2020
You know Olmar is an idiot when he can’t even realize how lucky he is in inheriting his father’s farm and that all too when he’s a good for nothing brat, I mean he wants to be in Canute’s army but can’t even swing a sword.. so that tells plenty about him. Though the problem with idiots is that they don’t even realize when they’re being taken advantage of. And so happened when these bunch of scums, so called “guards”, in the name of making the idiot son a man provoked him to the point of cutting either Thorfinn or Einar down, goes without saying just for their fun pastime.

Though little did the fox-faced twerp know whom he was teaching the ways of a warrior. Thorfinn standing and taking hits without even flinching was some next level of badassery, dude doesn't even have to use his fists on filth like him. But hey that doesn’t mean the idiot didn’t get his lesson, that skull wrenching punch on face was really something from Snake. Now he’s going to be a prominent character this arc, so good to have him making his presence there in the end.
Jan 23, 2023 8:15 AM
Jul 2021
Good episode just the pacing is a bit slow
GavinyeetJan 23, 2023 8:19 AM
Jan 23, 2023 9:02 AM
Nov 2021
Bruh the ending blue balled me so hard
Jan 23, 2023 9:04 AM

Jan 2019
PEAK
PEEEAAAAAK

WE FINALLY GET SNAKE!

God this was such a great episode, we get a further insight into Thorfinn as a character at the moment too. I've been really looking forward to the content covered in this episode and it really does show it's value. We get even more good shit next week, excellent.
Jan 23, 2023 9:04 AM

Feb 2019
Nah no way that was 24 mins??? Episode flew by. If even the slow paced eps are gonna go by like this we’re eating great.

That boy einar must’ve drank a liter of water before bed cause bro was pissing a good 5 mins, then ran to wake up thorfinn with hands fresh off his meat lmaooo

The guards telling thorfinn not to move and shut up when bro was standing completely still got me crying lmao. Thorfinn scaring everyone with the philosophical questions was great. They’re just bullies who rely on fear and if you have no fear, they have no power.

Lets gooo snake is here now too, they blue balled us hard with this episode can’t wait for next week
Marinate1016Jan 23, 2023 9:12 AM
Jan 23, 2023 9:06 AM

Oct 2017
Good episode! They’re doing a good job with the farm arc so far.
Jan 23, 2023 9:09 AM

Oct 2017
Thorfinn got nerves of steel, the guy has come far.
Jan 23, 2023 9:11 AM
Oct 2022
As an Anime Only fan, I say this is another banger episode. That last scene with Thorfinn was legendary and really showed how he has given up on living, and think Einer will pull him back out from that mentality. Olmar also got some nice development and I like how mirrors early Season 1 Thorfinn in that he wants to join the battlefield and become a warrior while not knowing the true horrors that come with that and being a naive kid! Overall, a 10/10 ep, can't wait for next week and for Snake to be properly introduced!
Jan 23, 2023 9:13 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I really like this adaptation. Staying true to the source but without necessarily being slaves to it. Just really well done.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 23, 2023 9:14 AM
Mar 2021
These episodes are too short. Another solid episode. Only complaint is I need more xD
Jan 23, 2023 9:15 AM
Sep 2022
Wonder if Olmar will have an arc I mean I don’t hate him rn
Jan 23, 2023 9:17 AM
Jun 2014
poor thorfinn.. he was happy when he was a kid though.. before everything happened. is this how it really went back in the Viking era?

Jan 23, 2023 9:21 AM
Nov 2017
That punch at the end was well deserved, and very satisfying.

Olmar really wants to become a warrior and prove himself, little does he know the horrors that exist on a battlefield and the weight of taking a life, he also didn't expect that thorfinn, who has seen these horrors, would be there and not be afraid
Jan 23, 2023 9:22 AM

Jul 2022
Damn.. it feels like every episodes will have a cliffhanger without the explaination..

Jan 23, 2023 9:26 AM
Nov 2021
New episode, new amazing characters. Keep it on!
Jan 23, 2023 9:27 AM
Oct 2016
Thorfinn showing everyone just how far he's really fallen. The man doesn't even care about living or dying anymore. Its hard to sink any lower. These asshole so called guards just wanting to get on Olmar good side so they try to initiate some sort of manhood ritual. Olmar is getting lead around by his nose and is too stupid to realize. There's moments where he can see clearly but almost immediately back tracks. Fox and Badger convincing Olmar that to become a man and gain strength he must kill. There's a fresh supply of slaves on the farm that would make good fodder.

Einar and Thorfinn meeting Arnheid officially was probably the nicest part of this episode but that quickly changed. Being lead essentially to their deaths by the hands of Olmar and Fox. Following what Thorfinn said about wanting to he cut down instead of Einar it was horrible to see Fox torture Thorfinn like that. Cutting him all over his body culminating in slashing half his left ear off. Thorfinn standing resolute must've been the biggest shock to all those assholes. Not even blinking even as Fox was trying desperately to instill some fear in Thorfinn. But the man has been through worse than these lowlifes can imagine.

I honestly believe Thorfinn when he said nothing good has happened his entire life. Because in his eyes that's the truth, in Thorfinn mind he had a boring home life then his father was killed right in front of him then he went on a years long journey with a band of psychopaths in which his ultimate goal couldn't even be realized. Thorfinn has experienced hell a dozen times over so to him being cut down would be a relief. Its such amazing writing in this scene, it's the first time this season we really see into Thorfinn mindset. Snake arriving was extremely cathartic. See how all the assholes stiffened up once Snaked yelled to Fox. Funny how Fox was telling Thorfinn to be afraid but the second Snake says his name Fox shriveled up. Getting his face bashes in was a nice cherry on top.
Jan 23, 2023 9:27 AM
Aug 2016
Man this episode was soooo goood!

We have Fox and Badger trying to sway Olmar into becoming a "real man". Fox manipulates him and says that he needs to kill a person to become so. And so, Fox and Badger bring two sacrificial lambs who are sub human or in other words slaves. They pick Thorfinn and Einar, and both are brought to the location near the shore cliff without being told what actually they are brought there for. 

After coming there, Einar makes an attempt to save Thorfinn, but Thorfinn being the depressed person he is right now, refuses his offer and instead tells Fox to kill him. Fox then intimidates him and tries to induce fear inside him by cutting him again and again. But Thorfinn just calmly says, 

"Why do we have to fear death? Does anything good come from being alive? Not for me. Not a single good thing has happened to me in my entire life"

I felt that. The dude saw his father Thors die, and also his father figure Askeladd die. He lost his reason to live, and is suffering constantly from living a reasonless, empty life. Also, from the way he spoke it, it clearly seems that Thorfinn has done a lot of contemplation about his past and has come to the said conclusion that his life is not worth living. 

Fox irritated by his firm resolution cuts his ear and loses his cool. He goes for eye and is stopped by Snake, the newly introduced character. Snake is supposedly Fox's and Badger's senior and boss and is very bossy based on his interaction with his gramps. Excited to see how his personality is overall!

The main highlight of the episode was Thorfinn's dialogue. It was calm, yet it cut deep and was very thoughtful. Thorfinn's character development has officially started. He is no more the annoying screaming edgy kid he was in Season 1, he is a matured person who is contemplating his life while living as a slave.

5/5 episode. 
KoustubhJan 23, 2023 1:35 PM
Jan 23, 2023 9:30 AM

Jul 2021
Damn, Thorfinn really is at the lowest of lowest point in life. Thorfinn is like a wet, sorrow match while Elnar is a burning, furious torch, such different personalities and views of life from 2 characters made the interactions from them felt so special, one pull and one push. Some frames looked pretty stiff, the background and the characters don't blend at all, not that big of a deal though.
Jan 23, 2023 9:32 AM

Jan 2009
damn thorfinn is hopeless and nihilist
Jan 23, 2023 9:32 AM

Jun 2014
Another amazing episode. The pacing is just right as it ended before I even noticed. It really shows where Thorfinn is as a character.
Jan 23, 2023 9:34 AM

May 2021
Snake looks promising. 5/5
Jan 23, 2023 9:41 AM

Apr 2013
Perfect pacing to adapt this arc tbh, glad they're allowing singular events to breathe. Although it sucks that the staff wasn't able to clean up most of the far-away shots where we see the characters' facial expressions lacking eyes/mouths, which is similar to season 1 and how it was under WIT, but at least the art is good more often than not.

Thorfinn vs Snake next week, popcorn ready.
Jan 23, 2023 9:43 AM

Mar 2020
My sympathy goes twofold here this episode. For Olmar, he's so unaware about how lucky he is to be able to inherit his father's farm, and his inferiority complex hurts to watch. I do want him to be able to succeed, but in his own way. He resembles Season 1 Thorfinn a lot, and if that's something to go off of, I believe he can find some meaning in life eventually. For Thorfinn, he's lived a life of despair and pain, so it'd only be right for him to think that there is absolutely zero meaning in living, and thus, he is steel cold, and nothing fazes him, much to the chagrin of the "guests". His dialogue about how meaningless living was hit hard, bit by bit, his loud persona has chipped away, to the point where even any extra talking is meaningless. I hope Einar can get through to him and make Thorfinn want to live again. As for the production quality, there were a few stiff frames, but it's just very minor nitpicks at this point.

Snake is here to punish any tomfoolery, and he seems like a very interesting character. Looking forward to more!
Jan 23, 2023 9:44 AM

Jun 2015
Gavinyeet said:
I love this arc but i fully agree with you. The adaption maktes it a slower when the manga is already slow-going but in a good way.
Jan 23, 2023 9:56 AM
Dec 2015
That punch at the end was sooo satisfying
Jan 23, 2023 9:59 AM
May 2021
THATS WHY HES THE GOAT! THE GOAT!
Jan 23, 2023 10:03 AM
Jan 2021
Amazing episode this week! We get insight into who Thorfin is at this moment in time. I found it funny, Fox trying to make someone, who has sown more death than probably anyone in that mercenary camp ever will, fear death. After the loss of not one but two father figures in his life, Thorfin is at a point where he welcomes death. And that was the sad part.

From the preview and the name of the next weeks episode I welcome Thorfins awakening from that state. I doubt we will get the old bloodthirsty Throfin right out of the gate, but I welcome a step back towards it.

Einar finally got a word in with the pretty blond slave, only to be brought to his own execution. I'd imagine that was quite disappointing and frightening but I commend him for trying to "save Throfin", even if Thorfin never asked or intended to be saved.

The pacing is a lot slower than last season, but that was all but obvious from the trailers we got. And I welcome it, as it gives proper time for us to get familiar with a whole new cast of characters and build them up for the story down the line.

The visuals are stunning as expected, and the voice acting and sound in general are top notch.

I can't wait to see where this season takes us.
Jan 23, 2023 10:12 AM

Jul 2014
Holy shit Thorfinn just doesn't even care, and the famous scene we've witnessed it. Saw the preview for next episode, can't wait
Jan 23, 2023 10:16 AM
May 2021
Gavinyeet said:

Completely agree
Jan 23, 2023 10:17 AM

Jan 2018
Ah yes, the good old days when master's sons would hunt their slaves for petty reasons. I remember watching a video on that a while ago, probably about how Romans treated slaves. Pretty fucked up.

Man, this episode was amazing as always. Snake immediately became a cool character after he punched Fox. I can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 23, 2023 10:24 AM

Aug 2022
Fuck. I can't wait for the next episode...
Jan 23, 2023 10:25 AM
Jan 2020
It's sad to see Thorfinn thinking nothing good will happen in his life and losing all hope and ready to even die in front of those fools.
Jan 23, 2023 10:30 AM

Feb 2012
A vicious rite of passage.
Drunken Olmar got cocky at the guards of his father's farm. With nothing to show, he can only put on a tantrum.
Lucky for him, Fox has a quick solution for his wish to be treated as a man...to kill a man. But whom? Enemies? If only his father could teach him that no one has enemies..
No, it's someone weaker than he is, someone he's allowed to kill. A prey-hunter relationship not an enemy vs enemy relationship.
Just a peaceful morning, nothing can go wrong, right?
Thorfinn bellows out cries like it's an omen but Einar pays little mind after being initially startled. Meanwhile, Thorfinn's approach to the nightmare is contrasted with Einar's easy-going suggestion.
The Norse had been in England for at least 2-3 centuries at this point. To Einar, one wouldn't think Arnheid was even a slave. His smile from being complimented by his face is cut short, though.
Olmar himself mentions a technicality that would spare Einar's life. Yet it was he who wanted to be treated like a man.
Just after Einar told Thorfinn to run, he wants to exchange lives. Drunken Olmar said to Fox, he's never seen the "guests" work. The titular snake need not bother with cooking..Thorfinn's been through it all, and he's unfazed. That is not the look someone like Fox gets a kick out of so he keeps on cutting. After slicing off the tip of his ear, Fox threatens to go for the eye (Recall what Thorfinn did to Thorkell during the War Arc.)
Fortress_MaximusJan 23, 2023 2:55 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 23, 2023 10:32 AM

May 2015
Amazing! Can't wait to see what's going to happen next.
Jan 23, 2023 10:37 AM

Jun 2014
Thorfinn doesn't even consider his life worth living anymore, he's truly reached the lowest of low points in his life. That dead blank expression on his face hits even harder after gaining a little more insight about his current state of mind,  what a sad sight to see. 

Snake made quite the first impression, knocking the shit out of Fox with the most satisfying punch in recent memory. Also, Olmar needs to stop being a spoiled little shithead and realize how good he has it. Taking another person's life is no joke, so if you aren't built for that heavy task, shut up and just wait to inherit your dads land. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 23, 2023 10:39 AM
Sep 2020
My boy Thorfinn has depression as big as Germany in his late 20s lol.

Jan 23, 2023 10:40 AM
Dec 2021
10/10

Just a blink and episoded ended.
There is no better seinen  👏 👏 👏
Jan 23, 2023 10:48 AM
Mar 2021
One of the most boring, storyless episodes i have seen in a tv show - let alone anime. a complete waste of time. as one of if not the worst anime episodes i have seen in a long while.
Jan 23, 2023 10:56 AM

Apr 2021
I was like "this should be halfway through the eposode" when Snake showed up

then the crushing reality set in
Jan 23, 2023 11:02 AM

Sep 2020
Was pretty hopeful after the first and second episode, but it seems this will be just like s1, a sine wave of good and bad moments. Hope i'm wrong though
Jan 23, 2023 11:05 AM
May 2021
Peakland saga, story is beautiful yet sad!!
Jan 23, 2023 11:16 AM

Sep 2014
Once again great episode. Poor Thorfinn is dead inside and is also suffering from nightmares. He didn't even budge from all those slashes and even losing the upper half of his left ear. Snake put those scumbags into their place. That punch was hella satisfying. Olmar needs to grow up but till then expect more humiliation.
Jan 23, 2023 11:23 AM
Jan 2021
Watching Olmar is like seeing a younger Thorfinn again; annoying and dumb.
Jan 23, 2023 11:26 AM
Nov 2021
very nice episode cant wait for the next
Jan 23, 2023 11:34 AM
Jun 2021
Snake seems cool. Overall episode felt really short.
Jan 23, 2023 11:35 AM
May 2020
i'm amazed mappa have handled the animation so well it looks exactly the same as the art style last season. also anyone get stairway to heaven vibes from the flute sounds that play in the ending song?
Jan 23, 2023 11:42 AM

Aug 2020
3/5
Another slow burner with several new interesting characters introduced. I am generally favoring the pacing so far
Kettil's farm is bussin' but his son is absolutely dogshit. I get that he has character growth incoming but man is he annoying!! Those "guests" were already an uninteresting addition but for Snake, who was introduced in an interesting fashion to say the least. I'd like to draw the Askeladd comparisons already but I guess it's still too early. Nonetheless, he looks integral to the story going forward. Einar was pretty much ragdolled whole episode, they couldn't even let him enjoy his morning piss xD but the major highlight of the episode was definitely that Thorfin monologue of his perspective on his life and death. He has turned nihilistic, it seems but i wouldn't blame the poor kid. He took those slices like a champ that he is tho, showed restraint and sacrifice..a very different person from his prime in s1. That blonde slave chick was cool too, I guess
Animation was consistent. Good lighting and cinematography in certain scenes. The background visuals look stellar as always and this episode by far had the most fitting soundtracks. Can't wait for more next week
2Birds1StonedFeb 7, 2023 12:45 PM
Jan 23, 2023 11:42 AM

Mar 2019
Marinate1016 said:
Nah no way that was 24 mins??? Episode flew by. If even the slow paced eps are gonna go by like this we’re eating great.

That boy einar must’ve drank a liter of water before bed cause bro was pissing a good 5 mins, then ran to wake up thorfinn with hands fresh off his meat lmaooo

The guards telling thorfinn not to move and shut up when bro was standing completely still got me crying lmao. Thorfinn scaring everyone with the philosophical questions was great. They’re just bullies who rely on fear and if you have no fear, they have no power.

Lets gooo snake is here now too, they blue balled us hard with this episode can’t wait for next week

That's how you know you're watching a great show, when you're so invested that time just breezes by.
Jan 23, 2023 11:43 AM

Feb 2019
ALittleBitofJean said:
Marinate1016 said:

That's how you know you're watching a great show, when you're so invested that time just breezes by.

Especially when it’s mainly dialogue and nothing crazy.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Thorfinn's worldview is viable?

Shizuna - May 24

28 by Amogotan »»
59 minutes ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2023

506 by Xeehad »»
Yesterday, 1:33 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

381 by Zekkenshin »»
Jun 6, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2023

170 by DWERGman »»
Jun 5, 1:01 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2023

214 by FarCritical »»
Jun 5, 7:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.