Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 4, 2023 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
This is hilarious seeing Tomo and Jun's chemistry together, even before they got to school. 

Tomo can be so violent but that's what I find amusing about her character. She displays a lot of tomboyish traits and tbh, I think she stood out more than any other character in this episode. Misuzu also had a presence although she has that negative energy going on. Really entertaining stuff. Bring on more!
Jan 4, 2023 7:59 AM

May 2020
Now this was one such series whom very few thought would ever get an adaptation, but this is the third decade of 21st century and studios out there in japan making an adaptation out of any fucking thing, so this was still pretty normal and welcomed of course.

Hottest tomboy in the town, Aizawa Tomo, mustering up courage and confessing her love to someone, her childhood friend, Jun.. Kubota Junichiro, and what the dude did.. kind of rejected. Though that could’ve been normal but the way he did it isn't.. as our mega dense protag sees Tomo as a boy, a brother, a pal.. so how could I mean, right? Hahaha… that will certainly take plenty of time for a conclusion.

They didn’t waste any time introducing us to other characters. Misuzu being the one we’ll see the most going forward and she’s quite sharp-tongued too as well being the childhood friends to Tomo and Jun. Oh well one shouldn’t forget about those gyarus, poor beings were on the verge of a thorough beat-up just cause they mistook Tomo as someone hitting on ladies man Misaki-senpai. Don’t do that, don’t mess with Tomo. She’ll blast you up.

I’m not sure how many chapters they adapted as there were plenty of one-pagers but Carol should make an appearance by the next episode. Can’t wait.

Also I’ve heard Takahashi Rie so many times but still she sounds totally unrecognizable here.
Jan 4, 2023 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
HEH, this isn't half bad at all! A better Uzaki-chan overall, if I say so myself, being one of the standouts of the Winter season.

Didn't know that the manga is in a 4-koma (but one full page) format, but it's made to felt like a full chapter. Also, the original source material is already completed that's quite short: 56 chapters in 8 volumes (despite manga websites reporting 953 chapters). Can trust that this will be a partial adaptation, there's no way that they can adapt THIS many chapters into 13 episodes.

This is the rather mature version of Takagi-san with the character archetype swap included,
where the tomboyish girl Tomo Aizawa a.k.a Tomo-chan (but FR I CANNOT sense Rie Takahashi's usual voice, she seems to have built mature vocals here) wants her childhood friend frien Junichiro Kubota to see her as an actual girl, but every attempt ends up in vain because he sees her as a guy. Even seeking her classmate Misuzu Gundo's help that while the aforementioned friend is Junichiro's ex-girlfriend (considering the two's banter which breds hatred), everything that Tomo works for the betterment, doesn't work at all. Adding Tatsumi Tanabe as the 3rd party in all of this, this is a wild rom-com with the insensitive and awfully dense (but not too much) Junichiro, the mischievous Misuzu, the joker Tanabe.

Tomo's karate origins with both her home dojo and the karate club in school with captain Kosuke Misaki, it's a friend made, but he looks girlish. Even side characters like Class 1-B's gyarus Mifune and Ogawa felt the intimidation, HARD. That is, until Tomo breaks down into her feminine side.

Tomo-chan's the natural lady killer, for sure.

Along with Maharajan's OP, this is a fun start!

Softhenic03 said:
I’m not sure how many chapters they adapted as there were plenty of one-pagers
They adapted 62 chapters (or 1-pagers) but it feels damn smooth.
KANLen09Jan 4, 2023 12:30 PM
Jan 4, 2023 8:40 AM

Jul 2019
So how long was the episode?
Jan 4, 2023 9:06 AM

Oct 2017
This was a great start, the adaptation was well done. Tomo's lovely and Rieri nailing her voice. Jun and Tomo's interactions were hilarious, poor girl can't chill. Misuzu's also an amusing one, really like her.

Glad to finally see one of the first ongoing mangas I read being adapted into an anime. I really like the manga. The anime had a promising start so hopefully the anime will end up being a good adaptation overall.
MegamiRemJan 4, 2023 7:56 PM
Jan 4, 2023 10:21 AM

Apr 2010
Well looks like the mainly girl has a chance for romance just not the romans she was looking for.
It's nice to see the misunderstandings tho and i loved to reaction of those girls that tried to challenge her over that boy.   
Jan 4, 2023 10:34 AM

Apr 2014
The first episode was very good and funny.
The main characters' names, Jun and Tomo, also reminds me of certain characters from one of the gacha game that I like.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 4, 2023 10:35 AM

Dec 2019
This was an alright start tbf. It feels a little dated in some aspects but it is very enjoyable, Gundo best part of the episode by far for sure
Jan 4, 2023 10:49 AM

Jul 2021
The very first thing that happened in the 20 seconds is a literal confession... Also, this girl's VA a.k.a Rie Takahashi, I barely even recognized her voice since I've only heard her leaning on a lighter tone, but this still captures the tomboy persona Tomo has. Gundou best wingwoman btw. 
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 4, 2023 10:54 AM

Nov 2016
It's been a while, huh?

Puberty hit her + ✂️

Amusing af and the energy is great. My favorite pilot this season so far.
FMmatronJan 4, 2023 11:21 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 2023 10:55 AM
Nov 2022
Animation quality is nice, clearly looks like they invested a lot, plot has potential to be a nice school rom com like more than a married couple but not lovers and my dress up darling and fan service is almost non existent which is a nice touch. I really am looking forward to seeing the next episode
Jan 4, 2023 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
I liked it but the sub is awful. They should stop making them sound like vapid American teens using "like" in every sentence.

It is really doing my head in.
Jan 4, 2023 11:00 AM
Feb 2018
Hell, I don't feel the series differs so much from the manga, but I don't like it that much.
Maybe because we can literally see why he thinks of her as a guy.
Not so much in the manga, maybe because I didn't hear this masculine voice in my head while reading. And her body was really feminine and not this one anabolic/gym fanatic.
Jan 4, 2023 11:03 AM
Apr 2019
Long awaited. tbh last year, I was jokingly wondering when It will get an adaptation because I was seriously giving up on the idea. When the announcement hit, I was super excited.

The first episode was fun and paced rather well. Though it may come off as fast paced, it didnt get through like a half of the first volume. Tomo jun and Misuzu made my afternoon. The animation is pretty good too.

Looking forward to cotton candy Carol next episode for sure.
Jan 4, 2023 11:09 AM
Oct 2022
I like the Tomboy wants to accepted as a girl trope. I am all for it

Jan 4, 2023 11:11 AM
Oct 2022
CQLLIST said:
The very first thing that happened in the 20 seconds is a literal confession... Also, this girl's VA a.k.a Rie Takahashi, I barely even recognized her voice since I've only heard her leaning on a lighter tone, but this still captures the tomboy persona Tomo has. Gundou best wingwoman btw. 
Yes thats the point, confession but still friend-zoned because Jun does not see her as a girl.

Jan 4, 2023 11:19 AM

Jul 2017
It's been a while since I read the manga (which I enjoyed a great deal), but this adaptation didn't "wow" me to be honest.
It's pretty by-the-books if I'm being honest. Don't get me wrong, it's a perfectly good adaptation, but perhaps the source material doesn't translate as well to a standard 23-minute episode.
Not to mention, the animation lacked the energy I felt from the manga.

In an age where we are seeing many anime adaptations come into their own and expand upon the source material, such as Bocchi or Kaguya-sama, this seemed lacking, but I'll keep up with it regardless.
7/10
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jan 4, 2023 11:20 AM
Dec 2016
I was a bit skeptical about whether to watch this show or not. I decided to give it a shot but there is something about Rie Takahashi's voice acting that gets every role that she plays interesting enough to carry the show.
Jan 4, 2023 11:26 AM

May 2016
how can you not tell it is a girl when you can even see she has tits.
Jan 4, 2023 11:28 AM

Jan 2020
Had a strange thought. Imagine that he knows, but still does what he does - makes anime more amusing. Especially taking relationship comfort over facing reality - everyone has done that at least once in their lives.
s-lenJan 4, 2023 11:47 AM
Jan 4, 2023 11:28 AM

Oct 2020
Tomboys are peak. so therefore this is peak.
Jan 4, 2023 11:29 AM
Nov 2022
It looks like it's going to be fun, I'm definitely going to follow this anime this season.
Jan 4, 2023 11:32 AM

Jul 2022
Love it, a keeper for the season.
I was skeptical by the premise, but it played very well in the first ep and I can see it taken to hilarious height.
Good stuff, man. Long live the tomboys.
Jan 4, 2023 11:33 AM
Jan 2023
I found it funny, I think if I'm going to see it until the end.
Jan 4, 2023 11:36 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Right off the bat we get a confession from Tomo-chan, but unfortunately Junichiro see her as one of the guys so she gets put in the bro zone.He even slapped her on the ass. lol. It can't be helped since Tomo-chan is a tomboy that is only interested in things that boys like and on top of that she know karate so she can be a bit violent. Gundou who is friends with Tomo and Junichiro seems to be the only one that is pushing the two of them to start dating for her own amusement. Tomo also has a secret admirer in Misaki who is captain of the Karate club at school and is the only one that would spar with her since she's too strong for the other kids. It all turns into a misunderstanding as two girls seem to have a crush on Misaki spot him talking to Tomo.

This is a straight forward romance in which Tomo and Junichiro like each other, but they just don't know it yet. Hopefully we'll get to see some sort of progress between the two of them. 
Jan 4, 2023 11:38 AM
Jun 2016
Would've dropped it if it wasn't for Misuzu.
I like tomboys but Tomo-chan hits different. All I can see is a little boy in a girl body.
The hair tie scene is the best! 👍🏻
Jan 4, 2023 11:40 AM

Aug 2017
Holy shit the adaptation is so good! Can't wait for Carol to be introduced

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jan 4, 2023 11:41 AM

Aug 2017
QPR said:
I liked it but the sub is awful. They should stop making them sound like vapid American teens using "like" in every sentence.

It is really doing my head in.
Teens speak like teens you know.

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jan 4, 2023 11:42 AM

Mar 2019
It was soooo goood!!!!! I loved this episode!
Jan 4, 2023 11:45 AM
Dec 2020
s-len said:
Had a strange thought. Imagine that he knows - makes anime more amusing.
I feel like he does know. He's just acting as if he doesn't know or care because as we've seen in this episode that the moment he's reminded of that fact he just gets so embarrassed he's just running away like her. Maybe he just doesn't know how to approach their relationship changing if he does acknowledge the truth and accepts her feelings.
Jan 4, 2023 11:47 AM
Jul 2022
Was waiting for it for so long. It's finally here and really liked the ep. Can't wait for more.
Jan 4, 2023 11:48 AM

May 2016
please god tell me he isn't gonna start treating her like a girl till episode 12.
Jan 4, 2023 11:51 AM

Aug 2012
So this series is pretty awful. The person who wrote it does not understand a lot of things... I stopped watching when the guy was hit like a ragdol (in real life his neck would most likely break and die). The girl is extremely violent and not in the way of Taiga. Is just violent. Also there is no point changing the language when for some reason you have such a low pitched voice. What you need is some estrogen. 
Jan 4, 2023 11:51 AM

Jan 2020
theVersu said:
s-len said:
Had a strange thought. Imagine that he knows - makes anime more amusing.
I feel like he does know. He's just acting as if he doesn't know or care because as we've seen in this episode that the moment he's reminded of that fact he just gets so embarrassed he's just running away like her. Maybe he just doesn't know how to approach their relationship changing if he does acknowledge the truth and accepts her feelings.
By the end of the episode, true - it becomes apparent, given by the conversation with the other childhood friend. Also, this avoiding act is kinda relatable - it's like taking current relationship for a given and I expect this aspect to be explored later on, too.
s-lenJan 4, 2023 11:55 AM
Jan 4, 2023 11:53 AM

Aug 2012
Exactly. Men do not like Androgynous women. This goes beyong being tomboish is a hormonal problem
Jan 4, 2023 11:55 AM
May 2020
Great introduction into this story. All the VAs do a great job bringing these beloved characters to life. Can't wait to see how the rest of the season turns out.
Jan 4, 2023 12:04 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Making a confession soon after starting high school huh bold move. Its really unfortunate how dense Jun actually is. One of the cons of having such a prideful father is the need to win every fight. Wow Jun really is into the genderless thing huh. Misuzu though really is a great hijacker. It was amusing seeing the would be rivals for Misaki get cold feet after hearing of Tomo's rep. Misuzu though reallys is the perfect defender for Tomo. Overall a pretty fun opening ep that did well to intrduce the cast and the unique chemistry that ties them together.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2023 12:04 PM
Dec 2020
I saw a trailer for this like a year ago in my recommended and was waiting to watch it i have to say i was not disappointed the First episode was pretty good we get introduced to our main characters and the basic premise of the show it’s got some humor sprinkled throughout it that’s all you can really ask for so 10/10 it met my expectations 👍🏽
Jan 4, 2023 12:05 PM

Mar 2018
good episode 1 nice nice ncie
hello hello
Jan 4, 2023 12:06 PM
Sep 2019
I tell you this is gonna be the sleeper of the season. Please don't skip this one
Jan 4, 2023 12:07 PM
Sep 2021
Not bad tbh. Looking forward to next weeks ep
Jan 4, 2023 12:07 PM
Sep 2021
Mystogan14579 said:
So how long was the episode?

Normal length mate, 23 mins
Jan 4, 2023 12:11 PM

Aug 2013
Not bad, but I expected something a little more entertaining.
Tomo-chan is a little bit too tomboish for me.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 4, 2023 12:13 PM
Jan 2021
That was hilarious! I can't believe Rie Takahashi is Tomo's seiyuu - what a departure from her usual girly-voiced characters, BRAVO!
I'm soooo happy this anime isn't airing on Netflix ("Netflix Hell")!
Jan 4, 2023 12:16 PM
Apr 2021
My eyes are blessed ❤️❤️ finally some Tomboy stuff.
Jan 4, 2023 12:20 PM

Feb 2021
Yes sir, tomboy masterpiece is finally here!

So this show was co-produced by Crunchyroll just like I expected...
Jan 4, 2023 12:20 PM

Jun 2019
Man... gotta love the tomboys. Tomo is cute and awesome and Junichiro doesn't see her as a girl. I love the start and I hope there will be more development in the show. Also, Misuzu is nice.
Jan 4, 2023 12:21 PM
Dec 2019
Fenyy said:
RequiemLo64 said:
Where do y’all watch? Don’t be stingy

Crunchyroll bro it’s right there. Or just pirate site it if you cba to pay for subscription

Thanks bro, probably would’ve waited a whole day before I got to watch it 😅
Jan 4, 2023 12:22 PM
Sep 2021
RequiemLo64 said:
Fenyy said:

Crunchyroll bro it’s right there. Or just pirate site it if you cba to pay for subscription

Thanks bro, probably would’ve waited a whole day before I got to watch it 😅

lmaoo nws enjoy mate
Jan 4, 2023 12:24 PM

Nov 2021
Never thought this would get an anime adaptation, but wow. I was a bit skeptical that this would get a mediocre adaptation by Lay-duce but they really nailed it. The animation and art is very clean and captures the manga very well, and I'm happy with the direction of the first episode which was very charming. The VAs are all great, but Rie Takahashi really killed it as Tomo, and her performance is pretty similar to Anzu from Romantic Killer. And the OP by Maharajan is a banger!! Definitely going to be one of my favorite rom-coms this year.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2023

103 by Magicmist »»
May 19, 11:15 PM

Poll: » Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2023

140 by Magicmist »»
May 19, 6:35 AM

Poll: » Would this show be better without Carol?

eWEQRW123123 - Apr 21

38 by Shinn_Asuka »»
May 7, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 18, 2023

158 by RGreatDanton »»
May 3, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2023

206 by RGreatDanton »»
May 3, 2:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.