Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 29, 2022 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
This anime just goes to show how the past can affect so much in the present timeline. Ghosts exists after all and past feelings are still present.

I think this show, and episode in general reveals how complex feelings can be for both humans and ghosts.
Oct 29, 2022 9:23 AM

Apr 2016
Hey you, yes you, do you want to hear a joke ? Okay, here it is ... Eunuch walks to a red light district.

Now, i would normally ask why is the secondary dude a real dick to our heroine out of a sudden, but then i realize i used the word dick, which in the context of his past takes a whole new dimension. I'm all jokes this evening, ain't i.
Oct 29, 2022 9:28 AM

Jul 2017
Gaojun's dreams have come back to haunt him, and his request to Shouxue now is updated with new information: find the ghost of the willow tree.

Wen Ying as the Emperor's confidant, however, doesn't trust Shouxue one bit, and though that the Raven Consort is treated specially, he doesn't think so. And as Gaojun researches on the Raven Consort, given Xue Xuyong's information the last episode, he would be wise to take note of everything happening.

The sorcerer of the west is causing problems almost directly, and Wen Ying is poised to find out the root of the source and eradicate it ASAP. But his true name of Que Er, the son of a mother who once worked in the red-light district, her death came as a rupture to him, becoming a eunuch in the process, and running away until he was found by Gaojun, who saved and gave him a new identity. All of this forces Wen Ying to face his past, and despite that, Gaojun still trusts in him wholly.

The ghosts of Ding Lan and Gaojun's mother is clearly waning on the Emperor himself, and Wen Ying wants Shouxue to help remove this burden off of Gaojun. But this mystery is something that will take more thinking to crack.

Reversing the OP and ED's placement this week is weird of how the implementation is done.
Oct 29, 2022 9:46 AM

Nov 2011
Thought it was a nice little twist with the opening and ending. I think having the opening at the end with the map can be used for more world building and what they wanted to find in the storage shed as well.

I am very intrigued where this anime will go from here.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 29, 2022 10:00 AM
Mar 2021
While it changes a bit from LN, it doesn't seem to make much harm. And the story is progressing at the pace that I thought it would to cover first 2 volumes of LN.

Fun episode, very well done, shows us a bit of backstory of Emperor's top eunuch, though I'm not sure if anime understands the word eunuch, given the pitch of their voices. And while this backstory is important it removes a bit of Shoxue ingenuity being shown. Despite this, I think this is as close adaptation as we could have wished for and I'm awaiting the next episode with all the more hope.

Animation and all the other components seem to be even better than in previous episodes. It is a fantastic story if you never read LN (I watched first 4 episodes without reading LN), and even with it, while some changes might annoy you it is still fantastic. And given the format and budget almost nothing is lost and it's captivating to watch. Really beautiful episode.
Oct 29, 2022 10:01 AM
Sep 2021
More mysteries keep occurring in the empire and our raven courteous is now trying her best to solve them.
I give it 5/10.
Oct 29, 2022 10:28 AM

Dec 2015
So he did hear Luan that night. Usually it is normal for people not to see or hear ghosts in other shows I've watched so I like this switch up here.
From what Luan was telling Shouxue, I can see why Que Er has greater distrust in her.
She may have the power to take everything over but it doesn't seem like she wants to do that.

Considering she talks so curt to people and Que Er is in debt to the emperor, having someone talk to him anyway isn't going to be ignored.
It's great they we're able to reconcile but that map is MYSTERIOUS.
Oct 29, 2022 10:35 AM

Jun 2014
Damn that was a messed up backstory for Wei Qing.

I liked the way the end of the episode with the map that appears at the beginning of the OP ended up connecting into the OP. Pretty clever way to use the OP song this week.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 29, 2022 10:47 AM

Jul 2011
For better or worse, luckily this isn't a comedy. Wei open the door see the Emperor and the ghosts, and the Emperor say " Make some, please. And you two feel free to join".

The story of Wei is sad, but he is still kinda a pain. Too confrontational.
Oct 29, 2022 11:01 AM

Mar 2020
Wei Qing's backstory was quite sad, or perhaps bittersweet is the right word. As for the show so far, its episodic nature is still not the most interesting, but it's decent enough for me to keep going. Interesting switch-up of the OP and ED order.
Oct 29, 2022 11:18 AM

May 2020
This episode was decent. Jusetsu apologises for being hypocritical. Very much unintentional.

Damn, I didn’t think Ei Sei would have such a past. Didn’t expect him to be r****.

There seems to be an elaborate planning behind Ka Koushun seeing ghosts of his mother and Deng Lan.

Jusetsu seems to be shocked of the map. She seems to know the map very well. 🎵MYSTERIOUS!!!🎵
Oct 29, 2022 11:40 AM

Apr 2021
A really interesting episode. I jumped in my seat in the first scene, and there was something hair-raising about Shouxue's reaction to the map - like she's never seen a map before and has no idea what she's looking at but still senses something.

Though the MC is kinda turning out a run-of-the-mill tsundere, I feel like the show still hasn't got all its cards on the table.
Oct 29, 2022 12:25 PM

Apr 2022
While I'm still not that optimistic about the show, I think this episode was a good change of pace. Would be nice to see the show explore its characters and environment more.
Oct 29, 2022 12:31 PM

Apr 2010
Poor... umm...a day will come and I'll now the name of that enunch (or however you write it). First time seeing this word in TV series...

Anyway, I love where this plot heading! Just don't many any fillers like chapter 3 which added... nothing.

Oct 29, 2022 1:14 PM

Dec 2016
This show is a delight. The characters are multifaceted and the episodic and overarching storylines weave together in a way that really works for me. This episode's structure was interesting as well. I look forward to this show every week.
Oct 29, 2022 1:29 PM

May 2022
The way the characters are developing each week, it would be a shame to limit this to just one season. I wonder if there are plans to continue the series after the New Year.
Oct 29, 2022 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
Hey you, yes you, do you want to hear a joke ? Okay, here it is ... Eunuch walks to a red light district.

Now, i would normally ask why is the secondary dude a real dick to our heroine out of a sudden, but then i realize i used the word dick, which in the context of his past takes a whole new dimension. I'm all jokes this evening, ain't i.
💀 ……………..
Oct 29, 2022 4:17 PM
Jul 2011
It wasn't a bad episode at all, but I really wanna know how Shouxue is going to free the spirits of the mother and friend of Gaojun, and why they are draining his life
Oct 29, 2022 5:26 PM

Jan 2008
So the two ghosts in his bedroom were draining his lifeforce...a common ghost-like thing.

I'm left with more questions than ever before...

What was that baked good that looked like a puff pastry pie crust? Do they even have sugar, and if so, where to they get it?

What mysteries lie behind the raven consort and the human-faced bird being? What is that map of, an island off coast?

Interesting way of playing with the placement of the OP at the end with the map reveal. I was worried for a second and wondered what was going on when they played the ED so early on near the latter half of the episode, before I realized they were just being creative with it.

Was also surprised to see that scene of his eunich aide suffering from sexual abuse in the flashback. Men can just as easily be victims of abuse whether it was the past or present, and it's not often this topic is broached in entertainment media. But then again, this is a series in a setting where prostitution is commonplace, on top of some pretty gruesome murders and ghastly ghosts, so I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised.
Oct 29, 2022 10:50 PM
Jul 2021
Again really good character work. Not sure where this story is going, and that seems like a good thing nowadays.
Oct 29, 2022 11:26 PM

Jan 2022
They mystery continues and I'm absolutely living for it. The little hints we keep getting of a deeper plot is so interesting, even more so because the characters are also seemingly unaware of it. I'm so excited to see where this build up will go, and what the final answer will be.
Oct 30, 2022 12:17 AM

Apr 2021
Estoy_Gordo said:
S What is that map of, an island off coast?

I thought it might represent the world as understood by the ancient Chinese. China's in the center of course, with imagined north and west coasts, Japan to its east, some kind of paradises in the far west and east...
Oct 30, 2022 12:51 AM

May 2019
So it looks like Qing can now see the ghosts that haunt the emperor and he seeks out the Raven Consort for help despite the emperor's request to not bring it up to her. Hope both of them don't get in trouble over this and that it ends up helping the emperor out.
Oct 30, 2022 5:34 AM

Feb 2014
KANLen09 said:

Reversing the OP and ED's placement this week is weird of how the implementation is done.

They really had us in the first half. But after seeing that cliffhanger it was kinda obvious.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 30, 2022 8:13 AM
Nov 2020
How is this such an underrated anime?! It is so so beautiful!
Oct 30, 2022 9:04 AM
Oct 2018
can we call it this "hidden gem anime"?
Oct 30, 2022 12:13 PM

Jan 2021
Very intriguing episode. I get the idea of having the op at the end because of the last scene but having the ed just 5 minutes before did felt like a weird choice.
Oct 30, 2022 12:16 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Wheezed when she made the jibe that the emperor shouldn't know about the red light district.
Good episode this week -- it was a bit slower, but it feels like the character development and chemistry is better
Oct 30, 2022 2:39 PM
Sep 2018
Damn that hit hard with Que Ers backstory like no one should go through that, even as a child 💔💔💔💔💔
Oct 30, 2022 8:52 PM

Nov 2012
Swagernator said:

Don't know if anybody else laughed, but I sure did. It didn't even occur to me that he was a eunuch in the red lights, which is odd given my sense of humor.
Oct 30, 2022 11:39 PM

Jul 2021
great episode. liked the transition to the OP at the end after showing that map.

the ghost problem is pretty eerie. but it's nothing for shoxue to deal with a ghost or two.

we got some back story of que er, that was unexpected but very nice. it seems the willow ghost could be maybe his mum? tragic past though, so glad that he was taken in as an assistant.

this might be the first episode where we didn't get to see shouxue's signature move.

5/5. looking forward to next one.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 31, 2022 11:44 AM
Mar 2021
i love it so much watch it or die <33
Oct 31, 2022 12:41 PM

Oct 2018
The backstory adds more character to the state of the story.
Oct 31, 2022 2:19 PM
Oct 2013
The plot thickens! Each episode is full of intrigue and action. I am very much enjoying this series. This episode in particular opened up a lot of new mysteries!
Oct 31, 2022 5:50 PM

Aug 2014
Okay the ghost of Ding Lan and Emperor's mother is kinda scary here
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Oct 31, 2022 5:54 PM

Feb 2018
Wasn't expecting a backstory for that side character, but it wasn't a wasted moment.
Especially with how it seemed to mend an almost lost acquaintance.
Seems like the thing with the emperor will be solved next episode.
Oct 31, 2022 8:04 PM
Mar 2015
Ghosts Ghost everywhere
Nov 1, 2022 6:32 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Sad backstory for Wei but I'm not surprised from this show
Nov 1, 2022 10:07 AM

Apr 2016
Wei Qing's story was heartbreaking but at least he found someone who would care for him, that's sweet and I liked how they framed this episode based on how Shouxue reacts to the emperor and how it might not be taken as entertaining to someone who has him in high esteem.

The use of the op at the was good.
Nov 2, 2022 8:12 PM
Mar 2019
I suppose the Emperor will keep bugging her until she gives in.
Nov 4, 2022 3:08 AM

Jul 2020
I was a little worried for a moment there when there was this tension between Qing and Shoxue, I'm glad they didn't end up as some kind of enemies after all
Nov 6, 2022 9:30 AM
Feb 2021
sad backstorie and great visuals. I really enjoy this show
Nov 6, 2022 2:47 PM
Feb 2021
udhfhsfheoishefoiduods
Nov 7, 2022 11:21 AM

Sep 2021
This anime is really good at making the intrigue and tense moments so subtle and vibesy. Really enjoying it thus far.
TerrorAdhaerensNov 7, 2022 11:24 AM
Nov 14, 2022 10:16 AM
Jul 2019
callmebookaholic said:
How is this such an underrated anime?! It is so so beautiful!

Totally agree with you!
Nov 19, 2022 3:39 AM

Oct 2017
Wonder what/who's behind the ghosts. These events are prolly connected somehow.
Nov 24, 2022 4:55 AM
Nov 2011
I'll be honest, I didn't quite no what to expect when I started this show. I wasn't sure if it would be a 'revenge fest', if it would be like the Colourful Kingdom, but the mystery aspects of this show are very well done, makes me want to watch more.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Dec 29, 2022 12:02 AM

Feb 2021
So that Ghost is friendly?
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 6, 2023 12:40 AM

Jul 2015
Ever since I first saw the map in the opening song, I thought it looked like a smiley.
Que Er got a dark past, good thing Koushun found and befriended him

Sep 8, 2023 11:16 PM

Jan 2022
Everyone has really sad backstories. I wonder why the eunuch was suddenly very rude to Jusetsu, I mean it needed to be said but it was completely unexpected. I thought he was going to ask her to make the emperor's nightmares go away the first time he visited. That OP transition was pretty cool!
This never updates so that's cool
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2022

81 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 6, 12:25 AM

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2022

49 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 6, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2022

42 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 5, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2022

38 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 5, 11:27 PM

Poll: » Koukyuu no Karasu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2022

30 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 5, 11:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.