Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 22, 2022 2:12 AM
Jul 2018
CLAMP are probably one of the most prolific and iconic mangaka in the history of the medium. With so many different genres and the dozens of titles under their belt, most anime fans have probably watched or read at least one of their works.

So, which one is your favorite? And Why? I'm not including any series where they only contributed small parts such as character designs. That means no Blood-c or Code Geass or anything like that.

For me Magic Knight Rayearth holds a lot of sentimental value because it was one of the first manga I ever read, and to this day the manga's artwork is some of the most aesthetically pleasing art I've seen. While I didn't watch Cardcaptor Sakura until fairly recently, I instantly fell in love with it upon watching it.

removed-userMay 22, 2022 5:02 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 22, 2022 2:32 AM
Jun 2021
HeruruMeruru said:
CLAMP are probably the most prolific and iconic mangaka in the history of the medium. With so many different genres and the dozens of titles under their belt, most anime fans have probably watched or read at least one of their works.

So, which one is your favorite? And Why? I'm not including any series where they only did the character designs like Code Geass.

For me Magic Knight Rayearth holds a lot of sentimental value because it was one of the first manga I ever read, and to this day the manga's artwork is some of the most aesthetically pleasing art I've seen. While I didn't watch Cardcaptor Sakura until fairly recently, I instantly fell in love with it upon watching it.

Rayearth because high fantasy + mecha = ferking awesome.

Also Code Geass wasn't designed entirely by CLAMP, they had assistance from Takahiro Kimura who did the finishing work.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 22, 2022 2:40 AM
May 2021
I have only read xxxHolic and Yuuko is my favourite character.I'm planning to read/watch other CLAMP works but for now xxxHolic is my favourite.

Edit: I have watch Cardcapter Sakura and I like it but xxxHolic is still my favourite for now.
Milan-5May 22, 2022 3:51 AM
May 22, 2022 2:41 AM
Jul 2018
xxxHOLiC

All hail Yuuko, love love love.
May 22, 2022 2:53 AM

Jul 2021
Holic is the second anime I chose to watch (i.e. excluding all the tv stuff), and it's still one of my favourites titles to this very day. It's the reason I know about CLAMP, and it prompted me to watch other shows like tsubasa chronicles and ccs.
I'm not gonna say it's a masterpiece because it's not, but I keep looking for the same vibes in the mystery, supernatural and magic shop genres to this very day.
I don't think I would have liked Natsume yuujinchou or Mushishi if I hadn't watched Holic.
May 22, 2022 2:55 AM

May 2020
MKR gets my vote - mainly due to the sentiment of being my first anime, but I still wholeheartedly enjoyed it on my recent rewatch years after, so must be more than that. Tragedy + theatrics + OST is what wins it, I would say :)

Was also my entry point to other Clamp works such as Tsubasa Chronicle or xxxHolic. TRC I started solely for the fact I saw a character that looks like Debonair. Had to know more about my favorite (back then) villain's twin sister.

I've not seen many from that list but knowing my tastes, X is the only candidate to potentially challenge Magic Knight Rayearth for the 1st place.

I see. Your only option is to revolutionize the world.
May 22, 2022 2:56 AM

Dec 2021
I've only seen two CLAMP series (Cardcaptor Sakura and Chobits) although I really want to check out more stuff by them like Tsubasa Chronicles, Kobato., and xxxHolic.

Chobits is my ultimate guilty pleasure anime - definitely my favourite out of the two! Chii is so cute!!!
May 22, 2022 3:35 AM

Sep 2013
I've not seen all of them, but xxxHOLiC is by far the most enjoyable series for me, and Yuuko is one of my favorite female characters of all time.
May 22, 2022 3:44 AM

Mar 2012
Cardcaptor Sakura was my first anime and I still love it but for now I have no intentions of reading its manga due the the relationship between the 30 year old teacher and his 10 year old student which was luckily taken out from the anime.

I also love Tsubasa Chronicles, watched X but can't remember much (I have given it a good rating so I must have liked it), didn't like xxxHolic due to the ugly character designs. Again I haven't read any of their manga so far.
May 22, 2022 4:00 AM

Feb 2020
From this list, I'll definitely go with Miyuki-chan In Wonderland.
May 22, 2022 4:02 AM

Feb 2010
HeruruMeruru said:
CLAMP are probably the most prolific and iconic mangaka in the history of the medium.

That's ridiculous. Noone is more iconic or prolific than Tezuka. Just keeping it real. Even Clamp themselves would agree with that.

Personally I don't really like Clamp very much. My experience with them is a bunch of unfinished stuff they just discontinued in the middle of it, one of the hardest-to-accept artstyles and character designs with those long and thin legs and arms that I never liked, and always feeling like they pander to some audience that isn't me in every one of their shows. Some of their stuff was a decent watch (xxxHolic, Tsubasa Chronicles) but even those didn't really leave much of a lasting impression on me, they were just fine.

In conclusion, they are not my cup of tea in terms of their story content and genres (Chobits and CCS are probably their most iconic shows and they just don't interest me in terms of what they are about) and their artstyle is even worse so I could do without them personally. Would have saved me money on those "X" volumes too that I bought as a kid and which are now arguable the most useless part of my entire manga collection :>.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 22, 2022 4:04 AM

Jul 2007
Alcoholicide said:
That's ridiculous. Noone is more iconic or prolific than Tezuka.

Who is Tezuka? Is he the guy who created Gundam? If so, he is outdated and irrelevant. No one cares about those Astrobots anymore.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 22, 2022 4:08 AM
May 2022
I've only really watched cardcaptor sakura
May 22, 2022 4:22 AM

Feb 2017
I've only read/seen Tsubasa Chronicles and xxxHOLiC. I loved xxxHOLiC til the last couple of volumes, then it just pissed me off in the end. Tsubasa Chronicles was fun throughout I guess but it got extremely convoluted by the end I had no idea what I was reading anymore.
May 22, 2022 4:33 AM

Mar 2021
Cardcaptor Sakura, it's in my favorites list after all

But Tsubasa Chronicle (manga) is a close 2nd
May 22, 2022 7:47 AM

Feb 2016
My favorite anime of theirs is Cardcaptor Sakura, followed by Kobato. My favorite manga of theirs is X, followed by The Man of Many Faces.

HeruruMeruru said:
the manga's artwork is some of the most aesthetically pleasing art I've seen.

Rayearth and X are easily their most gorgeous manga. Have you read X?

Alcoholicide said:
HeruruMeruru said:
CLAMP are probably the most prolific and iconic mangaka in the history of the medium.

That's ridiculous. Noone is more iconic or prolific than Tezuka. Just keeping it real. Even Clamp themselves would agree with that.

I will amend the statement to say CLAMP was the most prolific and iconic mangaka throughout the first 2 decades of their career. As they began serializing the year Tezuka died, they faced no competition from him.
その目だれの目?
May 22, 2022 7:49 AM

Jul 2016
Cardcaptor Sakura.
Cardcaptor Sakura.
Cardcaptor Sakura.
I have a fetish for magical girls, and for yuri, and Tomoyo is a lesbian.
May 22, 2022 8:11 AM

Jan 2022
Seen only Chobits, xxxHolic and Cardcaptor Sakura, and intend to eventually see Tsubasa chronicles.

Didn't like Chobits, xxxHolic was pretty bland, so Sakura wins by default, by being mid. Even though we could have done without the second arc.
Of course, this is all IMO.
May 22, 2022 8:21 AM

Sep 2008
Cardcaptor Sakura is an easy pick as my favorite title from the manga group.
May 22, 2022 8:23 AM

May 2021
I've like watched two (Kobato and cardcaptor sakura) and I liked them both. Cardcaptor sakura is my favourite tbh
May 22, 2022 8:36 AM

Oct 2015
Cardcaptor Sakura definitely, it holds up well even today. xxxHolic is great too and I love the aesthetic.
May 22, 2022 9:03 AM

Apr 2015
I've watched five of them (Cardcaptor Sakura, Magical Knight Rayearth, xxxHolic, Chobits, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle), and Cardcaptor Sakura is definitely my favorite. The lovable characters and comedy, in particular, are top-notch. It's one of the few shows I love re-watching despite its somewhat episodic nature. I have a soft spot for all the other series as well though, especially Magical Knight Rayearth and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.
Shame that Wish never got an anime adaptation, but the opening MV is very cute. After all these years, I still remember how the song goes haha.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
May 22, 2022 9:21 AM

Feb 2016
@Esmera
I highly recommend Kobato. It shares characters with Wish, and one of the episodes is a crossover with Tsubasa.
その目だれの目?
May 22, 2022 9:23 AM

Aug 2018
Yeah...I like Kobato. Obviously.

It's not the greatest anime of all time or anything. A solid 8 if you're into this sort of thing. Deserves no less than a 7.
May 22, 2022 9:53 AM

Apr 2015
Lucifrost said:
@Esmera
I highly recommend Kobato. It shares characters with Wish, and one of the episodes is a crossover with Tsubasa.

Oh really? I've been eyeing Kobato for a while since I really like the MC's character design and outfits, but I'll definitely add it to my PTW list now, thanks!

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
May 22, 2022 10:04 AM

Jun 2010
BoyBegtu said:
All hail Yuuko, love love love.

Totally agree. That's why I'm anxiously waiting for this to be released:
May 22, 2022 10:06 AM

Sep 2020
My vote goes to Chobits because that's the only anime I have seen from this poll.
May 22, 2022 10:16 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Cardcaptor Sakura for sure, but Kobato is very close.
May 22, 2022 10:21 AM

Nov 2021
Magic Knight Rayearth II specifically.

I have not seen CCS since I was young but would love to rediscover the show as I have vague memories of the cards, the op and the feeling of the show.

I have the Chobits Blu Ray waiting to be watched which i'm sure i'll love but i'm waiting for the right time to put it on.

Kobato also looks lovely and i'd want to watch it some day.
May 22, 2022 10:34 AM

Jan 2018
RentNoGirlfriend said:
Holic is the second anime I chose to watch (i.e. excluding all the tv stuff), and it's still one of my favourites titles to this very day. It's the reason I know about CLAMP, and it prompted me to watch other shows like tsubasa chronicles and ccs.
I'm not gonna say it's a masterpiece because it's not, but I keep looking for the same vibes in the mystery, supernatural and magic shop genres to this very day.
I don't think I would have liked Natsume yuujinchou or Mushishi if I hadn't watched Holic.

We have remarkably similar experiences. The biggest difference between us is that the first anime I finished was xxxHolic, but I watched some episodes of Cardcaptors when I was very young and an episode of Mushishi or two on TV during the airing of season 1. Searching for similar genres, especially yokai shows with SoL elements and character drama, is a definite pattern in my watching habits and why I identify as a "spectrophile" on my profile page. I thought that term just meant liking ghosts but it apparently means something more sexual. Oops.

IpreferEcchi said:
Tomoyo is a lesbian.

Yeah. It's kind of heartbreaking seeing her ardent devotion and support for Sakura just for Sakura to fawn over boys. Even then, she seems to genuinely desire Sakura's happiness in a totally selfless way. Tomoyo's a treasure.

OT: Yuuko Ichihara might be my favorite CLAMP character but my favorite CLAMPverse series is Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. My anime pipedream is that it someday gets an anime adaptation worthy of the manga. I'd like to get around to the other series at some point but I don't know if I have much of a reason to watch them.
May 22, 2022 10:36 AM

Feb 2021
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but can you please explain what CLAMP means? From what I found by searching is that it's some kinda all female mangaka society or something?

May 22, 2022 10:47 AM

Feb 2014
Well, I haven't seen most of the titles here, and I'm sure Kobato and Holic could be strong contenders, but is not very likely they will top Sakura for me.
May 22, 2022 11:14 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Cardcaptor Sakura. I was 6 years old when I first saw the TokyoPop volumes in the library. Love at first sight.... was my first manga, too.

I also love Kobato., Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, and Magic Knight Rayearth.
CLAMP makes a lot of gems, but they need to make more magical girl series imo, their magical girls are some of the best lol

May 22, 2022 11:16 AM

Apr 2022
When I think about it, I have actually learned quite a lot of life wisdom from a fictional character. Goes to show how great the CLAMP girls are at writing.

May 22, 2022 11:56 AM

Feb 2016
DeonX said:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but can you please explain what CLAMP means? From what I found by searching is that it's some kinda all female mangaka society or something?

CLAMP is this team of 4 women.
https://myanimelist.net/people/1877/CLAMP
その目だれの目?
May 22, 2022 12:01 PM

Aug 2008
This is a biased answer, but Kobato is one of the sweetest Anime ever, and not just among the ones made by CLAMP
May 22, 2022 12:10 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Cardcapture sakura and XxxHolic...and 2nd would be chobits and clamp school detectives...

I'm torn between choosing cardcapture sakura and XxxHolic...i decided not to vote but now I'm voting XxxHolic because it getting another live action release this summer with one of my favourite actresses in the lead role...

May 22, 2022 12:15 PM

Feb 2016
I thought people only watched xxxholic to better understand Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. That's the reason I watched it, but I'm seeing here that it has more fans than Tsubasa.
その目だれの目?
May 22, 2022 12:36 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
My answer without a doubt is Cardcaptor Sakura. It's in my favourites after all. But I will say that I did watch Chobits recently and really enjoyed it too.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
May 22, 2022 12:38 PM

Jan 2018
Lucifrost said:
I thought people only watched xxxholic to better understand Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. That's the reason I watched it, but I'm seeing here that it has more fans than Tsubasa.

My guess is most of that has to do with Yuuko being a main character in xxxHolic.
May 22, 2022 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
Angelic Layer, which had quality animation by BONES, is much better than the manga and pays hommage to Medabots and Plawress Sanshiro.
May 22, 2022 1:03 PM
Oct 2021
My favorite work of theirs is Kobato.
May 22, 2022 1:11 PM

Apr 2008
xxxHolic...I love me some Yuuko and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle because I love Fai. Tokyo Babylon (manga version) and X are also up there.
May 22, 2022 2:46 PM

Oct 2018
I've only seen Cardcaptor Sakura and Kobato. I've been meaning to watch/read more of their stuff. I love Cardcaptor Sakura, and Kobato was pretty decent.
May 22, 2022 2:50 PM

Mar 2020
how about you clamp these buttcheeks
May 22, 2022 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
Alcoholicide said:
HeruruMeruru said:

Woops, I legitimately meant to write "one of" and made a typo. Sorry. I'm very much aware Tezuka has written more. DX
May 22, 2022 5:16 PM

Mar 2021
Magic Knight Rayearth

I liked Rayearth since it was serialized in a magazine...I read Cardcaptor Sakura's continuing serialization, but I prefer Rayearth's artwork...

May 22, 2022 5:38 PM

Feb 2016
@kihel
Did you read any of their other manga as they were serialized?
その目だれの目?
May 22, 2022 5:40 PM

Nov 2015
Card captor sakura the adaptation is so perfect, even though i would have wanted more of the newer one.

I've seen 6 of these and haven't found the time to watch any of the others. X can't seem to be found online anywhere these days, without finding something suspicious.

I think most of these works are pretty memorable in their own ways. Kobato stole my heart and ioryogi is my avatar on multiple websites. He's so cute. i'm in love with Tsubasa each time i rewatch it but then there's the ending. I mean, the lack thereof. Magic knight rayearth felt like a balm on my soul and at times it felt pretty childish, which i was fine with. I wasn't a fan of Chobits, but honestly, i don't remember much of it. I looked forward to the book sequence with chii the most and didn't care for the male character at all. XXXholic is a gem.
May 22, 2022 5:44 PM

Feb 2016
@Mykasan
You've already seen all my favorites. The only remaining anime I recommend is Angelic Layer.
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Animation quality consistency.

Yuu_Kanzaki - 49 minutes ago

7 by trinitroglycerin »»
45 seconds ago

Poll: » Would you marry your favorite character if your government allowed this?

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

12 by Merve2Love »»
52 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you read light novels?

EverRealm - 2 hours ago

15 by DesuMaiden »»
54 seconds ago

» How much anime do you watch till its considered alot?

adosimp - 3 hours ago

14 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» Do your irl friends watch anime? ( 1 2 )

coolyfruity - Yesterday

50 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.