Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 25, 5:07 PM

Feb 2021
So I watched Dungeon Meshi the other day and noticed that the quality stays consistent from episode 1 to the newest (21) in terms of animation quality. Is it because Trigger handles most of the process themselves i.e not outsourcing to different studios like KyoAni? The most infamous case of outsourcing animation studio I remember is JoJo Part 4 the filler episodes where the gang is looking for Kira.

Maybe anyone knowledgeable on the subject can enlighten me why some studios decide to handle everything in-house and why some outsource?

The motivation behind this thread is because I've been watching behind the scene stuff on the studio Trigger channel, and according to the video I linked below, they had only finished the storyboard for the second opening on February 2nd this year which makes me think they probably don't have much leisure in animating every episode, probably as rushed as other studios.
Yuu_KanzakiMay 25, 6:02 PM
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 25, 5:08 PM

May 2019
Usually it's because of lack of staff, poor planning or budget issues.
May 25, 5:17 PM

Nov 2023
Some choose to do in house due to factors such as quality control and communication being easier, thus easier to make a fomula that sticks

Some do outhouse as it save time and money and can meet the workload needed
May 25, 5:19 PM

Mar 2019
When you have the opportunity to finish or near-finish a show before release, as was the case here (shows that get same-day dubs have to be finished more in advance than your typical seasonal show), you can iron out poor animation sequences. Add in a studio that is good and you get high quality that lasts the whole show.

That is my theory at least.
May 25, 5:23 PM

Aug 2018
I think it all depends on the work and company ethics because, damn, almost all Kyoani and Trigger shows look great.
May 25, 5:45 PM

May 2020
Not sure about the outsourcing but I hear gig work in animation is extremely common (I mean, even if something is done in-house, that does not necessarilly mean the people working on the animation are regular employees of the studio).

As for the consistency I listened to an interview by a animator and he basically said that, as you might expect, they are on a budget. When you have scenes that require lots of frames and dynamic animation with lots of camera rotations and whatever else, well that is going to take a lot of effort. The staff have to slow things down in the more calm parts to manage their resources. Of course consitency is not just about the frames, it's also about staying on model. Some productions have famously had episodes where the characters can look quite different from episode to episode, dragonball Z comes to mind. I read an article on this which basically explained that it is at least in part caused by whoever was directing those episodes, some directors inject their own preferences into the artstyle, whether on purpose or incidentally. I'm not all that knowledgeable about the subject but I think from what I've already mentioned so far I can surmise that there are many factors at play.
May 25, 5:51 PM

Jul 2013
Does it even matter? It is all just trival nonsense that no rational person would care about. I wouldn't be surprised that half the posters on this site are just AI chatbots tbh.
May 25, 5:55 PM

May 2022
Reply to DesuMaiden
Does it even matter? It is all just trival nonsense that no rational person would care about. I wouldn't be surprised that half the posters on this site are just AI chatbots tbh.
@DesuMaiden dead internet theory? paranoid much, are we
May 25, 5:57 PM

Apr 2020
You wanna know why that is?

(Legendary Studio) Trigger gets the money.
May 26, 4:23 PM

Jul 2016
Lack of staff makes sense to me, time crunch too.

More topics from this board

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

71 by Zarutaku »»
43 seconds ago

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series) ( 1 2 )

Ebb1993 - Sep 22

52 by SageModeTice »»
2 minutes ago

» What are some frequently used plot devices used in anime/manga but are not observed a lot in real life?

Lincompoop - Sep 23

10 by Little_Sheepling »»
4 minutes ago

» Which anime(s) would any of your favorite characters watch?

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

7 by Catalano »»
5 minutes ago

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

12 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.