Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 9, 2021 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
I honestly do not understand why people would want to finish every single show they ever try. Yeah, sometimes it's good to stick with it, especially if a friend says "it gets better around ep 20" or something. But some shows you can pretty much tell within the first few eps if they're bad or simply not for you.

What people often do is they feel so compelled to complete all their shows that they simply turn their On Hold list, or worse yet their Watching list into disguised Dropped lists. What people don't seem to understand is if you put it on your Dropped list you can always come back, and that way there's less pressure to do so, so it'll make you enjoy it more if you do.

Idk, people on here can be pretty set in stone. I personally love dropping shows. It's so freeing to just say "eh... It's not for me" and move on. And yeah, you can't 100% garentee a show is awful if you haven't finished it, but you can at least know you didn't enjoy it, and sometimes a subjective view is a better argument than an objective one anyways.

Edit: people keep asking me this; the large majority of my drops are from Seasonals and Friend Suggestions, the first meaning I have little to go off of when starting the show and the second meaning that my friends are gonna make me try it
removed-userSep 10, 2021 12:42 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 9, 2021 4:13 PM

Feb 2021
I don't actually put stuff that I drop on my on hold list forever (with the exception of Naruto maybe)
I legit finish every anime I watch even those I dislike and find boring, I know its stupid and I don't advice anyone to do the same.
Sep 9, 2021 4:16 PM

Apr 2019
I dropped a lot of anime. Sometimes I force myself to see everything, but it sucks to do this.
Sep 9, 2021 4:18 PM

Jan 2009
if you drop a lot of shows it shows how bad you are at looking for the right anime for your taste
Sep 9, 2021 4:22 PM

Aug 2020
Why watch shows you won't like. I drop only shows that people force me to watch and I don't like.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jul 2018
deg said:
if you drop a lot of shows it shows how bad you are at looking for the right anime for your taste
that honestly is a valid criticism. However, I'll never know for sure if I dislike something without trying it, and I like to try a lot of things. I find it fun.

That's why I like dropping shows, it allows me to try a bunch without getting bogged down. It's the buffet of anime.

Nov 2019
Nah, if some trainwreck like NGEvangeline or Oregairu Kan couldn't stop me, then only my priority of time can.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jun 2017
eli_shmeli said:
Idk, people on here can be pretty set in stone. I personally love dropping shows. It's so freeing to just say "eh... It's not for me" and move on.

Yeah I love dropping shows too. It gives you such a thrill, like telling the creators "Ha! sucks to you, try harder next time!"
Recently it's become quite an issue, because I ran out of shows I genuinely disliked and started to drop shows I was enjoying. For example, I have Kanojo mo Kanojo among my all time favorites, even though I dropped after episode 1.

Sep 9, 2021 4:26 PM

Oct 2011
I used to watch all the shows that I chose to start, it was like an OCD thing. However, now after years of watching anime, I have found that my anime digesting capacity has massively deteriorated and have learned to let go and be easy on myself. So, if something doesn't click with me in the earlier episodes, I drop them.
Sep 9, 2021 4:27 PM
Aug 2018
I don’t tend to drop anime frequently, unless it’s too hard to watch and can’t hope that it will get good or if it is too long and don’t plan to watch it entirely.
Reviewing is not easy.
Sep 9, 2021 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
Tirinchas said:
eli_shmeli said:
Idk, people on here can be pretty set in stone. I personally love dropping shows. It's so freeing to just say "eh... It's not for me" and move on.

Yeah I love dropping shows too. It gives you such a thrill, like telling the creators "Ha! sucks to you, try harder next time!"
Recently it's become quite an issue, because I ran out of shows I genuinely disliked and started to drop shows I was enjoying. For example, I have Kanojo mo Kanojo among my all time favorites, even though I dropped after episode 1.
that does indeed sound like a problem 😂
Sep 9, 2021 4:28 PM

Nov 2018
If I hated a show or acknowledged that it’s shit, I’d see it through to the end and just give it a bad score, as to remind me not to touch it again in the future. If I dropped the shows that I’ve previously put on the back burner for months to years at a time, then I would have missed out on many of the shows I’ve given 7-9/10 to. I think it’s good to see through the bad shows to fully grasp why you hated it in the first place.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Sep 9, 2021 4:29 PM

Jan 2014
I have 178 dropped anime, so I'm actually trying not to add to that lol
Sep 9, 2021 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
Ikr. If it doesn't feel right just drop it. Not wasting time is better than a shallow sense of achievement.
Sep 9, 2021 4:30 PM
Jul 2018
DoctorWasabi said:
I have 178 dropped anime, so I'm actually trying not to add to that lol
hey, that's a pretty good amount, keep up the good work
Sep 9, 2021 4:31 PM

Nov 2017
I do force myself to watch some anime or I just keep them on hold/watching list ngl.

I have a few that have been on my on hold list for yrs and some have been on my watching list for months
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Sep 9, 2021 4:35 PM

Apr 2018
Continuing to watch anime you know you dislike only makes sense to me when you've seen very few anime and aren't really sure yet what you think is worth finishing.
Sep 9, 2021 4:36 PM
Jul 2018
robotkop34 said:
Continuing to watch anime you know you dislike only makes sense to me when you've seen very few anime and aren't really sure yet what you think is worth finishing.
I'm confused, are you saying you haven't seen much yet? Yeah, 150 ain't much compared to some of these guys but it ain't nothing that's for sure
Sep 9, 2021 4:37 PM

Mar 2019
No, I don't think I will do that, thanks.
Sep 9, 2021 4:38 PM
Nov 2019
for real, people need to learn to drop things instead of wasting time watching shows that they don't enjoy.
Sep 9, 2021 4:40 PM

Oct 2018
I almost drop rezero s2p2 but as a completionist, I watched it in 2.5x speed. Those 30 mins of every episode is a chore.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Sep 9, 2021 4:41 PM

Apr 2020
I don't put them on drop list but I drop a lot of anime. I watch mainly for the characters, so if I don't like any character after 3 episodes I'll probably drop.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Sep 9, 2021 4:44 PM
Jul 2018
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
I almost drop rezero s2p2 but as a completionist, I watched it in 2.5x speed. Those 30 mins of every episode is a chore.
can't fault you on that too much, I watched 37 eps of AoT in 2x speed cause my friends kept nagging me to watch it
Sep 9, 2021 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
AcD4c said:
I don't put them on drop list but I drop a lot of anime. I watch mainly for the characters, so if I don't like any character after 3 episodes I'll probably drop.
yeah kinda smart. Only reason I keep them on my drop list is so I can remember them if I want to go back or just for reference.
Sep 9, 2021 4:51 PM
Sep 2018
I agree with everything OP said, but I also respect people who are able to almost never drop anything. I hate forcing myself through bad shows, but some people can do it, and eventually even get some enjoyment out of them, or find out that they get better later on or something. One of the reasons why I drop so many shows is that I'll watch literally anything, but some people are more selective about their shows, which is fine. I sometimes binge first episodes of random shows that I'll probably hate, and it can be a lot of fun -- so there's some appeal on dropping shows too.
Kww_121Sep 9, 2021 4:55 PM
Sep 9, 2021 4:52 PM

Sep 2020
I don't usually put hands-on animes that I am sure to dislike and that's the reason why I can keep up with my not dropping any show scenario.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 9, 2021 4:53 PM

Jun 2020
I once forced myself to finish a show, which I knew it was a bad show from the first episode, but when I finally finished it I didn't really regret my decision. The ending was average for a bad show but when I watched it I realized I (somehow) actually enjoy the show. Idk how to put it in words but simply I enjoyed almost all anime I have completed, except for the weird one.

Also I don't really like to put anime on my dropped list, it makes me feel guilty for did that. "They are waiting for me so I have to finish them." I only dropped the show if I really-really hate it.
Sep 9, 2021 4:54 PM
Apr 2021
For me at least, I won't drop a show that's popular, even if I hate it, simply because I need to have watched the whole thing in order to defend my opinion of it to my weeb friends.

I usually won't watch anything with a low MAL score or one that's poorly recommended by people I know, but recently watching seasonal anime I'll always start them when it's too early to know if it's good. I tried keeping up with all the shit last season and it took its toll on me. This time I've dropped most of the seasonal crap and just kept a few average/above average shows.

You never know if an anime's going to be good or bad at the beginning of a season. I know last season Mars Red was a pretty damn nice original anime that got awful reviews (albeit it did have some bad episodes justifying those reviews) that I would have totally missed if I went only by rating and reputation.
Sep 9, 2021 4:56 PM

Aug 2016
I can start an anime with the intention of dropping it, I don't see the problem with this. If I want to watch some odd episodes of Detective Conan or Pokemon, I am not starting it with the intention of watching all 1000+ episodes. I just wanted to watch the amount of episodes of Conan that I wanted to, which I did. I dropped Conan but I still like it and think it's a really good show, I just don't wanna watch hundreds of episodes of it.

I'm honestly curious that if some of the hardcore no droppers catch an episode of The Simpsons or something on TV if they go out of their way to watch every single episode because they seen one of them.

I'm okay with those who want to finish every show they start, but I honestly don't get why people seem to look down upon people who don't finish every show.
Sep 9, 2021 4:58 PM

Sep 2014
People might drop more anime, but for you OP it's the opposite. You should drop less anime. You have more dropped than completed.
Sep 9, 2021 5:00 PM
Apr 2021
Kiwii_121 said:
I share the same views as OP, but I also respect people who are able to almost never drop anything. I hate forcing myself through bad shows, but some people can do it, and eventually even get some enjoyment out of them, or find out that they get better later on or something. One of the reasons why I drop so many shows is that I'll watch literally anything, but some people are more selective about their shows, which is fine. I sometimes binge first episodes of random shows that I'll probably hate, and it can be a lot of fun -- so there's some appeal on dropping shows too.
I think, especially with new weebs, there is a fair chance that they just haven't developed standards for the anime they watch. Now I don't mean conscious standards that you tell yourself to look out for. When you watch enough anime your brain starts to notice patterns and clichés. The more anime you watch the harder it will be to impress your brain. It's not always something you notice. I know that only recently I just don't get the same enjoyment from watching bad anime that I did before.

That said, everyone's development progresses at different speeds. If you can still watch crap anime after binging thousands of episodes then that is a good thing. But if you can't, then you can take solace in the fact that your have become more "cultured" and you now have "standards".
Sep 9, 2021 5:05 PM
Apr 2021
Hrybami said:
People might drop more anime, but for you OP it's the opposite. You should drop less anime. You have more dropped than completed.
each to their own. You can't make 'em watch stuff they doesn't want to. Still, they should probably take the hint at this point that they don't like shounen.
Sep 9, 2021 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
Hrybami said:
you do have a decent point. Most of it's either seasonal shows that I go into blind, or suggestions from friends that I've either watched enough to truly count it as being watched (like 10 eps and or more) or something I would eventually consider continuing
Sep 9, 2021 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
theGodde said:
Hrybami said:
each to their own. You can't make 'em watch stuff they doesn't want to. Still, they should probably take the hint at this point that they don't like shounen.
yeah, I suppose I really should 😅. The problem is my friends mostly watch Shonen, so I'll watch with them or because they told me to watch it
Sep 9, 2021 5:21 PM

Jan 2009
eli_shmeli said:
deg said:
that honestly is a valid criticism. However, I'll never know for sure if I dislike something without trying it, and I like to try a lot of things. I find it fun.

That's why I like dropping shows, it allows me to try a bunch without getting bogged down. It's the buffet of anime.

you are here on MAL with tools like this https://myanimelist.net/anime/37450/Seishun_Buta_Yarou_wa_Bunny_Girl_Senpai_no_Yume_wo_Minai/userrecs

and also news, reviews, PVs, genres and staff list of the anime you will watch will give you an idea of which shows to avoid by certain directors or script writers for example or even which studios to avoid its all here on MAL
Sep 9, 2021 5:24 PM

Jul 2019
I agree that people should never force themselves watching something it's supposed to be fun not a chore. In my case I don't need to drop anything because I know how to pick anime I will enjoy and I like most things I watch. What people need is to use genre tags more I think.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 9, 2021 5:25 PM
Jul 2018
deg said:
eli_shmeli said:

you are here on MAL with tools like this https://myanimelist.net/anime/37450/Seishun_Buta_Yarou_wa_Bunny_Girl_Senpai_no_Yume_wo_Minai/userrecs

and also news, reviews, PVs, genres and staff list of the anime you will watch will give you an idea of which shows to avoid by certain directors or script writers for example or even which studios to avoid its all here on MAL

yeah, but that would be judging a book by its cover. Why do that when I could just boot up the old pirate sites and check out a few eps

And plus, this is just a me thing, but I simply cannot stand reading summaries, idk why
Sep 9, 2021 5:25 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
I drop shows when i feel like dropping them. not bc someone told me to or not to

smoochie smoochie[/center]
Sep 9, 2021 5:30 PM

Jun 2019
I don't drop many shows in the sense of formally adding them to what amounts to the "Wall of Shame" that is the Dropped list, but one thing I do do fairly frequently is watch the first episode of a series, usually one I had in my Plan To Watch list beforehand, and then decide not to continue with it from there - at least at that time. So it's akin to a "soft drop".

Some series I have done this with have enough off-putting about them in the first episode that I decide I'll very likely never watch them, but they're not officially dropped - I just remove them from my PTW list or never added them to the PTW list in the first place. Others I leave on the PTW list, but mentally I know they're at a very low/lowest priority compared to others.

Some examples of series I have "soft dropped", but keep on my PTW list (again, for most of these I have only seen one episode, but for some I have seen 2 -3) listed below:

- Akatsuki no Yona
- Bartender
- Black Jack
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Chihayafuru
- Dororo
- Hoozuki no Reitetsu
- Hunter x Hunter
- Kaidan Restaurant
- Kodomo no Omocha
- Koisuru Asteroid
- Kuzu no Honkai
- Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
- Little Witch Academia
- Lucky Star
- Mitsuboshi Colors
- Mobile Suit Gundam 00
- Mouretsu Pirates
- Nami yo Kiitekure
- Nazo no Kanojo X
- Planetes
- Seikai no Monshou
- Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
- Top wo Narae! Gunbuster
- Youkai Watch

Yet that notwithstanding, there are even series on my actual official Dropped list which I have a general intention to very likely (Shinsekai yori) or moderately possibly (Monster, Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, Psycho Pass, 3-gatsu no Lion, Tsuki ga Kirei, etc.) eventually resuming. It's only even a few on there I can pretty definitively say I intend to never return to in an absolute sense (Claymore, KareKano, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Wonder Egg Priority, and Yakusoku no Neverland season 2 I'd say are the only ones).
WatchTillTandavaSep 9, 2021 5:34 PM
Sep 9, 2021 5:37 PM

Dec 2016
Yeah I absolutely agree with you, guess lots of users here love the pain
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Sep 9, 2021 5:38 PM

Jul 2017
Yeah those are valid reasons. To each their own. I personally never drop any show that I start, but I am fine with putting them on hold for months or even a year if needed. To me, “dropped” means that I’ll never watch that anime again, while “on-hold” means that I can always pick up where I left off after months of not watching it. Being a completionist in a way has forced me to be more selective with shows. I have a pretty good idea of what looks like something that I’ll be able to complete and enjoy, just by looking at the characters, synopsis, trailer, mean score, etc.

While I agree with all your points, I can’t exactly agree with the last sentence. I don’t think that your arguments will be very convincing if you haven’t seen the whole anime, or if you’re using subjective points against objective points in an argument/debate.
Sep 9, 2021 5:47 PM

Aug 2016
I have every intention of watching everything in my list . A good number of them aren't available or subbed

I'd rather not restart a show because I dropped it some time ago.

What i should and will do is watch less shows for the future seasonals (barring additional franchise adaptations of ones i watched)
Sep 9, 2021 6:00 PM
Jul 2018
I usually read manga nowadays, but I will drop an anime that doesn't do the manga justice. There's no point watching it if I've already read the manga.
Sep 9, 2021 6:01 PM

Sep 2018
I used to never drop anything and I almost got burnt out. As of now, I dropped 1/3 of the anime series I started watching and feel so much better. A bad start can never turn into something good.
Sep 9, 2021 6:09 PM

Jul 2020
I tend to keep shows on hold rather than really drop it. I may pick it up later if something happens.
Sep 9, 2021 6:15 PM

Aug 2016
From what I understand, completists force themselves so they can give the show a rounded and complete reasoning on why they dislike it, rather than saying "it's not to my liking" based off the first few episodes.

It also allows their opinion on said show to carry more weight as they did watch the majority or finish it, being able to break down those aspects that were flawed in their eyes.

If completists weren't a thing and they dropped the series on the very first few episodes, then the audience would be an echo chamber of fans. That's kind of boring.

Dropping shows isn't bad but completism shouldn't be looked down on either. I force myself to complete things I hate because I want to, I wanna see it through to the end. If someone generally doesn't want to, they won't.
Sep 9, 2021 6:18 PM
Jul 2018
Usually if I put something on my dropped list, it's because I don't intend to ever finish that anime. Although there have been some anime from my dropped list that I have tried picking up again. But yeah, people should just drop anime that they aren't interested in. People shouldn't have to watch an anime through and wait to give their opinions on it just because other people get butthurt about ratings. Even if they watched an anime all the way through, what's to guarantee that their opinions will get any better towards the end?
Sep 9, 2021 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
illDelusions said:
From what I understand, completists force themselves so they can give the show a rounded and complete reasoning on why they dislike it, rather than saying "it's not to my liking" based off the first few episodes.

It also allows their opinion on said show to carry more weight as they did watch the majority or finish it, being able to break down those aspects that were flawed in their eyes.

If completists weren't a thing and they dropped the series on the very first few episodes, then the audience would be an echo chamber of fans. That's kind of boring.

Dropping shows isn't bad but completism shouldn't be looked down on either. I force myself to complete things I hate because I want to, I wanna see it through to the end. If someone generally doesn't want to, they won't.

an interesting take, I appreciate the logic of it
Sep 9, 2021 7:16 PM

Aug 2019
I don’t drop shows that way I can call a show dog shit and people can’t say “you didn’t finish it”

all jokes aside I only drop stuff that is actually terrible, but maybe in the future I’ll drop more stuff
Sep 9, 2021 7:41 PM

Feb 2020
illDelusions said:

This is exactly where I fall.

Then again, I filter my shows heavily even before they hit my PTW, so shows there are more or less guaranteed to be watched by me.

I like to view a work as a whole, from "start to end", as a "complete work". There are some shows I found relatively boring at first but I stuck around and got rewarded. Other times, I cling so desperately to whatever element the story has left and wish the story improves, and in the end fails.

I pace myself well and try to finish more when my schedule is free, but I always keep it in mind to make sure to finish a show from start to end.

From the very first time I started on this anime journey up to now, I only ever dropped one show. Thanks to that, I refined my taste and genres and made sure to choose shows I know I'll like. After all, it's a "relaxation" hobby of mine!

But yeah, I guess it's just a difference in perception. We're complete opposites on how we handle shows, OP, and yet I don't really mind your way of doing things!

Although, I sure do hope you find more shows that would make you keep on watching 'till the end! There's always that special show out there that just fits your tastes perfectly. Well, I hope there is!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it cheap to have girls in bikini in non beach episodes?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

10 by Adnash »»
1 minute ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Yesterday

85 by keinboesewicht »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you guys like any of the 4kids openings

HattoriSoul - Sep 13

25 by animegamer245 »»
6 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - 28 minutes ago

3 by thewiru »»
7 minutes ago

» Would you date an anime girl even if she ate her rice grains one at a time?

ItsXolo - 3 hours ago

6 by Little_Sheepling »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.