Forum Settings
Forums

do reviews especially from critics ruin an anime for you?

New
do reviews especially from critics ruin an anime for you?
Jul 24, 2021 9:37 AM

Jan 2009
im a believer in the saying it will be ruined if you personally let them ruin it for you thats why i do not read much reviews especially here on MAL so with that my vote is a yes

also most reviews i have read here on MAL are destructive criticisms rather than constructive criticisms

how about you?
degJul 24, 2021 9:43 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 24, 2021 9:40 AM

Aug 2018
Nope. Code Geass and Attack on Titan are pretty relentlessly criticized and even if some of those criticisms have merit, I still love them both.
Jul 24, 2021 9:42 AM

Oct 2018
I don't care about reviews, so... Yes, it ruins.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jul 24, 2021 9:44 AM
Jul 2018
Even with the harshest of criticisms, I'll still watch an anime depending on my interest. I wouldn't have watched Black Clover, Boruto, and Redo of Healer if that was the case.
Jul 24, 2021 9:44 AM

Jul 2019
Sometimes yes, but then again, I have seen some ridiculous reviews that my brain is now has a built-in "wrong interpretation finder" detector thing.

I usually only read reviews from friends anyways.

deg said:
also most reviews i have read here on MAL are destructive criticisms rather than constructive criticisms
You should go and see recent reviews, but then again, what is the point of constructive criticism if the final product cannot and will not change according to it.
Jul 24, 2021 9:45 AM

Sep 2018
Whenever I want to be convinced to rate an anime lower (like when I'm not sure between two scores), negative reviews are always persuasive, but that's because I already have some issues with that anime.

I must also say that I read a long ass review explaining why LoGH was a 1/10 before watching it, and I loved it regardless.
NirinboJul 24, 2021 9:54 AM
Jul 24, 2021 9:45 AM

Dec 2015
No I don't waste time on people with bad taste.

It's insane with the amount of shity reviewer we have on this forum.
People are starting season 2 of a show ignor season 1 or a OVA made before the TV serie. And can't understand why they can't understand the plot.

Most people here doing reviews are just talking out their asses.

Jul 24, 2021 9:46 AM

Jul 2021
Not really, but they kinda ruin the mood while watching.
Jul 24, 2021 9:48 AM

Jan 2009
NextUniverse said:

deg said:
You should go and see recent reviews, but then again, what is the point of constructive criticism if the final product cannot and will not change according to it.

constructive criticism shows both positive and negative points of the show though so i want to read positive things about them too

Nov 2020
maybe not ruin an anime, but i’m easily influenced sometimes and reading harsh reviews is gna make me doubt my own interpretations and my love for the show LMAO.. i steer clear of reviews in general now for all shows, especially my favourites. if i know i love it, and i know it made me feel so much emotion, what more do i need to discuss? it gets overbearing to debate all the time. i prefer to enjoy things alone ( ˘ ³Λ˜)♥︎

Sep 2018
No positive or negative critic review will cause me to like/dislike a anime. I form those opinions from watching the anime myself.

Jul 2021
It depends on the review though. If it contains spoilers or are really specific normally It affects, obviously.
Jul 24, 2021 9:49 AM
Jul 2018
reviews wont really affect my experience of an anime at all
Jul 24, 2021 9:50 AM

Oct 2020
No. The reviews are always trying to say that the show is not perfect and how shit it is. Also, I've never finished reading one bc they're wayyyyyy too long. So really don't care about reviews.

Jul 24, 2021 9:51 AM

Jun 2016
Considering barely any critics review anything Gundam or Mecha-related (Which are the genre I'm mainly into) nowadays, I don't know.

Jul 24, 2021 9:51 AM

Jul 2019
deg said:
NextUniverse said:

constructive criticism shows both positive and negative points of the show though so i want to read positive things about them too
Oh fair enough then, I thought you meant like "it would be better if X did this" unless you do, but I have seen people point out good and bad in reviews. It only doesn't work to be constructive when the anime has no redeeming qualities or is flawless.
Jul 24, 2021 9:52 AM

Jan 2009
X105-Strike said:
Considering barely any critics review anything Gundam or Mecha-related (Which are the genre I'm mainly into) nowadays, I don't know.

mecha the forgotten genre lol but we got Attack on Titan though which is bio-mecha
Jul 24, 2021 9:53 AM

Aug 2020
Most reviews here are a joke anyway. They just write reviews suddenly after a show ends to bitch about stuff they don't like instead of giving valid points.

Not reading them is the best choice of course.
Jul 24, 2021 9:53 AM

Jan 2021
If you're talking bout critics here at MAL, I possibly couldn't care less about them. I have seen these so-called 'critics' give FMAB a 10 and rate 1 to any anime that comes near it.
Jul 24, 2021 9:54 AM

Jan 2009
NextUniverse said:
deg said:

Oh fair enough then, I thought you meant like "it would be better if X did this" unless you do, but I have seen people point out good and bad in reviews. It only doesn't work to be constructive when the anime has no redeeming qualities or is flawless.

>"it would be better if X did this"

that can work too on a future clone of the show so ye that is good to read too imo
Jul 24, 2021 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
Nope. I never read reviews before watching an anime. The overall ranking, popularity, and the number of users who completed the anime, are usually way more telling than reading individual reviews.
Jul 24, 2021 9:55 AM

Jul 2020
Anyone who likes Attack on titan should answer no because god damn there is a lot of "critics" giving it poor reviews but no one seems to care.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Jul 24, 2021 9:58 AM

Jul 2021
Hmm... very interesting question.

Personally, I don't think negative reviews spoil a show for me. I quite enjoy reading a variety of opinions and it makes me think of potential reasons behind my subjective experience of whatever I'm watching. I guess it can feel a bit annoying when things that I particularly enjoy and value in an anime get criticised in a way that seems thoughtless and insensitive. I am aware that that's to an extent related to my personality and definitely would not ruin the show just because "that's what the critics think" and it's different to my opinion.

I wonder whether perhaps with learning more about my personal preferences I've become more comfortable with that and less swayed by others' opinions? There's a level of acceptance as well that we are all different and of course it's fine to have opposing views, it's what makes this community so interesting and diverse as well I think.

But who knows really!?
Jul 24, 2021 10:04 AM

Nov 2007
Not at all usually. Rather if it's a good critique I will probably see the show in a way I didn't before and like it more. I think it's harder to describe what's good or interesting about an anime than just point out the flaws. I usually trust my own reading of an anime well enough to decide fairly firmly if I like it or not on my own, and I'm kind of a harsh critic anyway, most of the time. Other than that lots of differences of opinion about fiction are just gaps in subjective experience.
Jul 24, 2021 10:05 AM
Jan 2021
Don't know don't care i'm just gonna enjoy it
Jul 24, 2021 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
I usually only read reviews from the animanga I liked, so no.
Jul 24, 2021 10:10 AM

Dec 2020
Nillwas said:
People are starting season 2 of a show ignor season 1 or a OVA made before the TV serie. And can't understand why they can't understand the plot.

Most of the dumbest reviews I've seen are the ones that criticize things like character development and then say "oh btw I haven't watched the other seasons", like what were you expecting when you watched only one season of a show with 2 or 3 seasons?
Jul 24, 2021 10:33 AM

Dec 2015
CLADDAN said:
Nillwas said:

Most of the dumbest reviews I've seen are the ones that criticize things like character development and then say "oh btw I haven't watched the other seasons", like what were you expecting when you watched only one season of a show with 2 or 3 seasons?

Yeah I know, it exist a show that's called A city where you lived.
And this show starts with a 3 ep's OVA that covers around 130ish Manga Chapters.

After this 3 ep's OVA the TV serie starts, it jumps a year into the future and the main character have moved from a tiny village into to Tokyo.

And we do have a huge amount of review cover the TV serie with 12 ep's. And people are shiting like crazy on the TV serie as they don't understand what is going. As they have ignored the OVA.

And yes, it's really normal to see people watching season 1 of a serie with 2-3-4-5 seasons. And ignor the rest of the seasons and they just shit on the first Season of the Anime.

It's just sad to see.

Jul 24, 2021 10:37 AM
Jun 2020
in film, critics barely do any effect to the average audience if the box office is a success (Saw and FnF, per example)
Nissan 350Z
Jul 24, 2021 10:39 AM

Jan 2009
Tall_Tapper said:
in film, critics barely do any effect to the average audience if the box office is a success (Saw and FnF, per example)

i also remember the Venom hollywood movie is the same critics shit it out so much but then it became a massive box office success

as they say critics are out of touch with public opinion
Jul 24, 2021 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
Most of these so called "critics" have use some of the dumbest arguments to show their hatred against particular show. And most of the times they're just based on personal preferences. So it's really hard to take them seriously in the first place.
Jul 24, 2021 10:44 AM

Mar 2012
I don't get it why would someone's review ruin an anime for anyone. Reviews are simply someone's opinion about the anime.
Jul 24, 2021 10:45 AM

Feb 2010
at the end of the day a critic is just an opinion you can't objectively prove something is bad because the medium is subjective.

"Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty." "One person may even perceive deformity, where another is sensible of beauty; and every individual ought to acquiesce in his own sentiment, without pretending to regulate those of others.” -David Humes

trying to enforce people to only like what you like is nothing, but simple egotism.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 24, 2021 10:46 AM

Mar 2019
Clannad and FLCL get a lot of shit but even so Clannad still makes me cry to this day and FLCL is one of the most fun shows I've ever seen
Jul 24, 2021 10:57 AM

Oct 2010
no, it's just a person giving his opinions, it's up to the reader to take what is important from the review. Even if the reviewer starts blabbering and analyzing it with references you wouldn't understand because you didn't watch the anime, there are some parts in there that will make the reader form an opinion about the anime.
Jul 24, 2021 11:30 AM

Feb 2020
I don't care about reviews so much, so no, they can't ruin my anime.
Jul 24, 2021 11:34 AM
Aug 2018
anime reviews especially from "critics"? don't care
Jul 24, 2021 11:41 AM

Feb 2020
no, they don't ruin anime or its experience, but they may ruin my day because I wasted my time reading nonsense (its kind of same effect as watching a bad anime)
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jul 24, 2021 11:41 AM

Nov 2020
I see most of the reviews as a super detailed, very lengthy opinion of the user who wrote it. So, I am not really affected by it.

Also I love SnK and its maybe one of the most criticized show on MAL and it does not affect any of my enjoyment whatsoever. So basically I am Review-Prone😎😎 [lame? Ik]

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Jul 24, 2021 11:42 AM

Jun 2016
I don't know. I don't follow any critics.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 24, 2021 11:43 AM

Nov 2013
No. I rarely read reviews in the first place and a lot of reviews online are written rather poorly either way. MAL reviews are no exception.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jul 24, 2021 11:56 AM
Nov 2019
Honestly it's gotten to the point where I don't read reviews before watching an anime so I can make my own opinion. I know it's easy to say "oh i dont care" and all that but it still affects my viewing experience sometimes
Jul 24, 2021 11:59 AM

Sep 2014
Everyone hated The Day I Became a God.

And I don't care, I still love that anime and rated it 8/10.
Jul 24, 2021 12:17 PM

Feb 2020
I don't even read reviews because there hasn't been a good review that I have read when I did read reviews. Because when it comes to anime people have a difference of opinion. Yes this is the case for everything but anime is different people will write a review just to shit on or praise an anime they normally never give concrete evidence to back their claims at least the ones I read. Most reviews I have read are this anime is trash, the characters are trash, the pacing is trash or they will praise the anime to death putting it on a pedestal that no other form of fiction can beat. Yes there have been really good reviews I have read as well. I just look at average score of the anime and the user count to judge and if it looks decent I will judge for myself when I watch it.
Jul 24, 2021 12:22 PM

Sep 2019
lmao nah, most of them are pretty badly written anyway, which is why I rarely ever read them.
Jul 24, 2021 1:02 PM

Jul 2021
Not really. You're giving some of them too much credit by calling them critics. At most, I'll cringe whenever I see a "Rebelpanda" or "Veronin" review. Those guys only get upvotes cause of their names.
Jul 24, 2021 1:41 PM

Jan 2020
No. If they disagree with me, it's ok and vice versa

Jul 24, 2021 1:45 PM

Jun 2012
A review isn't going to retroactviely take away the enjoyment I got from watching something, so no. A reviewer is just another guy with an opinion, their opinion being in the form of a MAL review or a youtube video doesn't give them any special weight.
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 24, 2021 1:47 PM

Aug 2018
No, I think it is kinda dumb if someone's opinion changes yours
_______I like rocks__
Jul 24, 2021 1:50 PM

Aug 2019
to be honest I don’t even read reviews, most of the time the top reviews are negative ones that are pushed up by other people that disliked the show; even then there’s a pretty big chance that person has different tastes than me and shit I like they dislike and vice versa
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Jun 14

52 by Lucifrost »»
8 minutes ago

» Smoking in anime

JoeChip - Yesterday

39 by Inter_anime »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you got a favorite combination of eyes & hair colors?

Zowabo - Today

32 by Horizon248 »»
9 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

IssyBoy - Yesterday

65 by Timeline_man »»
10 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9131 by StyxParadise »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.