Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 12, 2020 7:59 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kaburagi's punishment for disobeying the System: relegated to the bug program for rehabilitation and slave purposes. Furthermore, a storage facility to grow Gadoll as slaves? Well, that's bad enough.

There's a slim chance for Kaburagi to get back to the surface to login to Deca-Dence, and it's through one of the bugs Sarkozy, but given his track record as a bug-decimating administrator, not everyone in the Bug community is pleased. Nevertheless, his pursuit to reach back to Deca-Dence is strengthened amidst an internal struggle of the bugs: a game to the death. But regardless, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" trope remits the same feeling of when Natsume tried to defy the odds and Kaburagi saving her instead.

The deal is made, but Kaburagi will be logged into with a different character. How will Natsume respond with this?

Great world-building though, now we finally see what goes under the avatar system side of Deca-Dence.
Aug 12, 2020 8:06 AM

Jan 2009
so its safe to say that the cartoony world will alternate somewhat with the real life world huh

im sure Kaburagi will save all those cartoony prisoners somehow
Aug 12, 2020 8:17 AM

Oct 2008
KANLen09 said:
Great world-building though, now we finally see what goes under the avatar system side of Deca-Dence.

Not just great, EXCELLENT. Easily one of the best in recent memory. The score is literally everything wrong with anime fandom today.
Aug 12, 2020 8:22 AM

Jul 2009

LMAO. I love this show so much.
Aug 12, 2020 8:25 AM

Jan 2014
This just reminds me of that one set of missions in Skyrim where you're in a prison lol. Pretty neat and fun episode, though next week is already looking super interesting once again with it's ending.
Aug 12, 2020 8:37 AM
May 2020
deg said:
so its safe to say that the cartoony world will alternate somewhat with the real life world huh

It's the same world my dude
Aug 12, 2020 8:37 AM

Feb 2019
I think it was cool to get the cyborg side of the story in today’s episode. It’s a nice break from the battle and action of Deca-Dence and learn what the “real” world is like. Some really interesting side characters involved this episode as well.

Kabu’s back in the game next week, wondering what his persona will be like.
Aug 12, 2020 8:40 AM

Feb 2020
One more episode of Deca-Dence and oh man...

We finally are seeing the series we have waited for... a really great World building and a lot of interesting secrets for reveal.
And now, with the actual situation of Kaburagi and what he is going to do in order to come back to Deca-Dence.. good things awaiting for us!!!

Really solid episode, I think a good intro for future events in both worlds (Deca-Dence and cartoony)
Aug 12, 2020 9:03 AM

Aug 2013
We got more world-building on the cyborg.
From this episode, we see them creating Gadoll.

Kaburagi is determined to meet with Natsume. Why do I have the feeling that he will get an avatar that's similar to her father's appearance? I hope I'm wrong tho.

Aug 12, 2020 9:11 AM

Jul 2017
so Kabu will log in as a different person next? :( damn... I wonder how will Natsume deal with that and viceversa.

and we got more into the cartoon thingy world. so those cyborgs could live on earth as a living thing but still need that oxy-something to live. the world-building is pretty interesting here.
can't wait for next
Aug 12, 2020 9:15 AM
Sep 2014
this is probably best unique world building since 2017 with it's made in abyss and houseki no kuni
Aug 12, 2020 9:21 AM
Jul 2020
Interesting episode.
I like the plot. It isn't far-fetched and unrealistic, but it also has some sense of mimetic (but not in a bad way). I'm a little confused as to "login to deca dence", the avatars, etc. Seems like its just one big game where reality and technology are intertwined to the point of not being able to tell the difference.

I like how different this is then what I usually watch. I like the cartooney part to it, you don't usually see that in an anime that has a decent amount of violence

Also i've seen multiple people shipping kabu and natsume.....stfu pls, don't get toxic so soon into the anime.
AryaleAug 12, 2020 9:26 AM
Aug 12, 2020 9:27 AM

Oct 2017
This episode was so ridiculous that it was pretty funny. Anyway whatever I'm more interested to know what type of avatar Kaburagi's gonna use, maybe a young boy XD.
Aug 12, 2020 9:46 AM

Sep 2018
Ellenwitch said:
This just reminds me of that one set of missions in Skyrim where you're in a prison lol. Pretty neat and fun episode, though next week is already looking super interesting once again with it's ending.

Heyy, it reminded me “No One Escapes Cidhna Mine” too. It was great.
“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
~Hunter S. Thompson

Aug 12, 2020 9:51 AM

Jan 2020
I think the fact that my brother and i were yelling at the tv in frustration because the episode ended, is telling of how good this show is. I love seeing Kaburagi in his android form, its just something special to see this rough and tough guy with short stubby little legs. So im pretty glad that we got an all android episode. Pretty great to see Donatello back too. He's just so sick.

I hope that this show ends up like BNA, where it blows up after the season is over, cause damn this show needs more love

Also Rule34 is gonna love this episode.

Now time to try to fill the void that Deca-Dence creates in my heart every week

Bandori is love <3 Bandori is life <3
Aug 12, 2020 10:00 AM

Jun 2016
Well would you look at that:

another pet for Kaburagis collection.
Aug 12, 2020 10:16 AM
Oct 2016
Kaburagi is in deep shit, literally. That's a harsh sentence having to shovel shit, again literally, this bug correctional facility is ruthless. Even lying to the inmates about being able to rejoin the company. Wanting them to work to the absolute bone until they breakdown. It's a bad spot to be in but I'm happy that Kaburagi isn't deterred by that. He's gonna see Natsume again no matter what! Really enjoyed this episode dealing with the fallout of Kaburagi defying the company. We saw before in his flashbacks that he was always the ultimate company man. Always followed what the bosses said and threw anyone under the bus who tried to defy the company. Like his old friends who went past their limits. Good to see them again here with Donatello leading his tough group of bugs in the correctional facility. also like the new guy that Kaburagi meet on the inside Sarkozy. I really hope that Natsume and Kurenai hold out for Kaburagi cause he really does want to get back. The duel between Kaburagi and Donatello looked great. With those spinning spiked beams and then fighting with those shovels. The sequence with Kaburagi carrying Donatello back up flying around the spikes was awesome. He's coming to see you Natsume and make sure you're safe!
Aug 12, 2020 10:18 AM

Feb 2020
Oh my! I can't wait to see next episode!!!
Aug 12, 2020 10:21 AM
Feb 2011
This felt like a filler episode. Would have rather seen how Natsume's world has changed over the course of a month rather than what we got.
Aug 12, 2020 10:27 AM

Dec 2015
It is starting to get interesting. Previous episode was a bit boring. Like the end of a prologu and if it were starting only now with this episode. Still introduction only. Cause he will enter the game again only starting next episode.

But the facilty was interesting. So they "recycle" Gadoll and produce new ones there. He he.
Aug 12, 2020 10:48 AM
May 2020
Holy Heybot they almost did a Voca Battle!

And yes Heybot has a jet pack also.

Aug 12, 2020 10:51 AM

Jan 2009
alex_foss689 said:
deg said:

i mean in terms of episode animation style my dude
Aug 12, 2020 10:56 AM
May 2020
deg said:
alex_foss689 said:

i mean in terms of episode animation style my dude

Well you got me there my dude
Aug 12, 2020 10:59 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
So the Gadoll are confirmed created, wonder for what purpose, maybe this game helps clean up the atmosphere?
Aug 12, 2020 11:24 AM

Aug 2018
Kaburagi's new avatar next week:

Seriously, loved this episode. It's a mark of solid direction that they focused (briefly) on his jetpack early in the episode so it didn't seem like a total asspull when he used it to blast out of the muck. Chekhov's gun and all...
Away from the things of man, my love, away from the things of man.
Aug 12, 2020 11:29 AM

May 2018
Some Dead Leaves references...
and maybe a TTGL one?

The strange ball that goes with The G Man With The Shades kind of reminds me of that one small ugly red and totally annoying character from the Lensman anime.
Aug 12, 2020 11:32 AM

Jun 2015
Sweet baby Mohammad! After last week I figured I had a better grasp of the show, but this week exceptions where turned on there head once more. I'd assumed there was two layers of reality at play, humans and Ai's. But this week looks to of introduced a third level.

And damn did that fight sequence give me flash backs to flash gordon fighting the bird guy. I wouldn't of been displeased had they added the spock vs kirk classic fight music to the scene.

This is most definitely one of my top shows this season!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 12, 2020 11:35 AM
Sep 2015
Kaburagi received enema so much to the point that he puke, that'll be my fetish of the week.

I'm gonna bet his new avatar will be a young handsome guy.
Aug 12, 2020 12:10 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
His name is...what?! Sarkozy??? hahahaha I don't think they know who is it in real life
Aug 12, 2020 12:49 PM

Oct 2018
KANLen09 said:
Furthermore, a storage facility to grow Gadoll as slaves?

No, all the Gadoll are artificial and come from that facility.

Nefelupitou said:
Why is this anime's score so low? Jesus.

I'm guessing it made some weebs heads hurt lol! Come on, the plot isn't that hard to grasp...
Aug 12, 2020 12:53 PM

Mar 2017
Damn, it's really like a game to them... that whole 'New Game' thing just made it kinda hit home. They don't see humans as living things at all, just as NPCs. I can't wait for Kabu to reunite with Natsume!

I still really hate the kids-cartoonish style of the cyborgs and there world but I've accepted it cause the plot is actually pretty awesome.
Aug 12, 2020 1:02 PM

Sep 2017
The fact that they named a character Sarkozy is ridiculously hilarious
Aug 12, 2020 1:11 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Nefelupitou said:

Anime like this can unfortunately never aspire to having a real high score in MAL. Maybe 7,8 years ago, but not anymore.
a) Not based on a manga, light novel, webtoon or game. So there's no fandom in place to give it a big hype boost at the start.
b) No male self insert character
c) No super hot female characters to drive interest (for example, even a show as obscure for the average weabo as Dorohedoro had an interest boost as soon as fanart of Noi flooded the internet.)
d) The look of the "real" world will put off a lot of viewers. Heck, it took me a couple of episodes to get used to it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 12, 2020 1:17 PM

May 2019
This was much more entertaining than I expected it to be. Now that Kabu's (kinda) back in the game again, I wonder what he'll say to Natsume when he meets her with a new body.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Aug 12, 2020 1:31 PM

Aug 2018
Farabeuf said:

c) No super hot female characters to drive interest (for example, even a show as obscure for the average weabo as Dorohedoro had an interest boost as soon as fanart of Noi flooded the internet.)

*cough*Kurenai*cough*

d) The look of the "real" world will put off a lot of viewers. Heck, it took me a couple of episodes to get used to it.

I think this is the big one. You really have to make a conscious effort to "push past" the style of the chibiworld, esp. when they choose low angles or dramatic music... It has an unintentionally comedic effect.
Away from the things of man, my love, away from the things of man.
Aug 12, 2020 1:39 PM

Jun 2016
Farabeuf said:
b) No male self insert character

TBH Gintama doesn't have these things either and it constantly gets high scores. Similar things can be said about Made in Abyss, it does have a manga but not that big of a fanbase to hype it up.

The main issue many people seem to have with this anime pretty much boils down to them not being able to stand the "chibi robot" aesthetics because it's apparently "confusing" somehow.
Aug 12, 2020 1:57 PM

Jul 2020
Oh Yess, Kaburagi is still alive and kicking! o/
Expected it but still happy with how it turned out.

Kaburagi next new character got to be something suitable for Natsume (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)

Great episode and it's getting better each episode :D
Aug 12, 2020 2:11 PM
Sep 2019
I was expecting in this episode humans to start realizing
Aug 12, 2020 2:43 PM
Jul 2019
So, I'm guessing that Oxyone concoction is actually liquefied methane....
Aug 12, 2020 2:51 PM
Feb 2020
Ok so um...
This show just get better and better but bruh a the begging i thought that fpr correction they were gonna turn him into a gadoll or some shit💀💀 so it kind of threw me off, but who doesn't love a prison break story😌✌
That raggedy bolts guy ⚡can't be bothered to learn his name⚡ kind of reminds me of lightling McQueen's friend... Yh no my memories not doing me any good today.😙
But anyways i love the dedication kabu has for natsume i kind of ship them...

Jokes...👀

But yh i was caught of guard by the swift animation in kabu's fight since you know the cyborg world is well 💫cartoony💫 but he also popped off with the jetpack and kudos to Don for being respectful in the end and even using his gun.
I'm sorry i love kurenai😻 whenever she's on screen it puts a smile on my face and its been a while since I've seen my boy pipe🙈.
But on a serious note i wonder if like natsume will figure out the cyborg world by finding out that kabu is well kabu or not and kabu will be send a message on behalf of himself. Ok that was confusing to type out but i think he'll be like kabu wanted me to tell you to keep on working hard, but wouldn't that imply that he's dead😶 ok idk where im going here
i love this show and watching this every Wednesday makes my week better❤ Great episode
Finn_awo-16Aug 12, 2020 2:55 PM
Aug 12, 2020 3:20 PM

May 2020
To those who still are confused and don't quite understand how this world works, I will try to explain and I hope this helps understanding the great worldbuilding this anime is doing. Once you get the whole gist of it, you'll realize it's actually pretty simple

The world in which the show takes place is like a futuristic mesh between James Cameron's 'Avatar', a videogame, and a theme park with a zoo built in.
The cyborgs were created by a human enterprise in the far future, during our extinction, and they evolved in such a way that now THEY are the 'protagonists' of the world (just like we see ourselves in real life, nowadays), and they see us, humans, as mere animals for entertainment and curiosity. So, to take advantage of our vast and interesting planet (now theirs), they created a theme park (the Deca-Dence moving fortress) mixed in with a videogame: they 'log in' in to their human-like avatar (the Gears), much like in the way in JC's 'Avatar', and fight against cyborg-made, genetically breed Gadolls to defend their fortress.
As a bonus, the cyborgs can even roleplay alongside a real endangered species, the humans, who are caged and depend of their 'last bastion', the Deca-Dence, their zoo.
For humans, the Deca-Dence is hope, and their entire life, and have no ideia that they are in a videogame, or even that the cyborgs exist. The humans who get close to the truth are considered 'bugs', and the cyborg system eliminates them to avoid further problems
For the cyborgs, the Deca-Dence and us, humans, are a mere toy in their 'great and interconnected civilization', and the cyborgs who cheat in the game, or start to go against the system, are also deemed as 'bugs' and are eliminated by the system.
degandaganAug 12, 2020 3:24 PM

Skibbidy skib skib skaa
say "NO" to fanservice
Aug 12, 2020 3:26 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting episode! Seems Kabu was spared, however his punishment still wasn't easy, that sure looks like a hell to work there.

Kabu is really determined to get back into Deca-Dence and after a bit of chatting with the one of the guys at that "scrapyard", he found a way to get into Deca-Dence. He did have to fight one of his former companions (If I recall correctly), that was a nice battle and they battled fairly!

I can't wait to see what kind of character Kabu will go with this time around! Probably a young handsome guy Natsume can fall for

Nefelupitou said:

Farabeuf said:

The biggest killer of the score (even if it was marginal), I haven't scored it yet but that second episode almost made me drop it, but right now, I am glad I am still watching it as it's growing on me!
Aug 12, 2020 3:44 PM

Jan 2018
Phew, I'm glad that Kaburagi is still alive and was saved through someone's intervention. That death match fight was good, animation was quite good I must say.

Still, his resolve on seeing Natsume again is what makes him keep on moving.
Aug 12, 2020 4:08 PM

Jul 2020
Good episode...

But I hope Kabu's avatar isn't Natsume's dad and it is just someone different...
Aug 12, 2020 4:11 PM

Jul 2017
y'know for it being so futuristic you'd think they'd at least develop a better UI for Deca Dence rather than making it look like something out of the 90's lol

but inb4 Kaburagi's new character is a female :P
Aug 12, 2020 5:56 PM

May 2010
Kaburagi wanted to spoil everything to Natsume but ended up in an avatar that incapable of doing so trope.
Aug 12, 2020 6:52 PM

Aug 2018
I kinda disliked the second episode which was only dedicated to Kabu's alternative world but surprisingly, I really loved that one. The idea of a reincarnation doesn't sound bad, it catches my curiosity at least
Aug 12, 2020 7:15 PM

Jul 2014
Alright I wonder what avatar he'll be
Aug 12, 2020 8:17 PM

Jun 2019
Nefelupitou said:

Right?? I don't understand it either.
Aug 12, 2020 8:18 PM

Jul 2020
Not really a fan of the whole artstyle of the cyborgs or their world but I think this was a good episode.

We finally see what happens to cyborgs that doesn't follow the commands of the system. And yeah its pretty hellish.

World Building is really superb in this episode. Can't wait for next week.

I hope the score for this series really go up in the near future because it deserves better in my opinion.

I accept random friend requests!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.