Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 8, 2018 5:52 AM

Aug 2017
I'm not asking generally. I'm asking specifically because I see a good amount of fans state things "wrong" with an anime and things "right" with an anime and this is where my comprehension on what a good amount of fans find "good" and "bad" when it comes to anime comes from. However, I see shows that in my opinion goes against which was established by people and I end up feeling confused.

Kings Avatar for some reason was praised while Sword Art Online was crapped on. Usually in discussions, my thoughts are misunderstood. Like when I talked about Bleach I'm confused to why many people find it horrible when it does things "different" like a Main Character who isn't Happy Go-Lucky, has an immense appetite and shouts "never give up".

I want to know about how do you prefer the execution of certain tropes, what characters would you like, how would you like the story to progress, what animation is acceptable to you? I'm sure likely many here are not the same as the others from other boards, but i don't really mind as it helps me get a grasp on some of the standards or criteria some have here.
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 8, 2018 5:57 AM

Apr 2016
The standard for good anime is for anime to not being an isekai or harem or god prevent ... both.

Also no male idols.
Oct 8, 2018 5:58 AM

Jul 2017
If it's something like my favorites, then it's a good anime.
Oct 8, 2018 5:59 AM

Aug 2017
Swagernator said:
The standard for good anime is for anime not being isekai or harem.

Being straightforward and not beating around the bush. Damn. So.....is Fairy Tail good anime? I mean...it's neither an isekai nor a harem.
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Oct 8, 2018 6:00 AM

Apr 2016
Halpher said:
Swagernator said:
The standard for good anime is for anime not being isekai or harem.

Being straightforward and not beating around the bush. Damn. So.....is Fairy Tail good anime? I mean...it's neither an isekai nor a harem.

I was editing my post as you may noticed, but i forgot to mention battle shounens.

And God help us all if those battle sohounens are imported from Europe.
Oct 8, 2018 6:01 AM

Aug 2017
Swagernator said:
Halpher said:

I was editing my post as you may noticed, but i forgot to mention battle shounens.

Damn....so...is Hunter X Hunter not good?
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Oct 8, 2018 6:02 AM

Apr 2016
Halpher said:
Swagernator said:

I already mentioned male idols anime shows.
Oct 8, 2018 6:05 AM

Aug 2017
Swagernator said:
Halpher said:

:(.....Hunter X Hunter is amazing, man. All you're doing is shattering my fragile feelings at the moment.
:( How we going to be friends if you shit on my Big Titty Anime girl genre?
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Oct 8, 2018 6:06 AM

Apr 2016
Halpher said:
Swagernator said:

:(.....Hunter X Hunter is amazing, man. All you're doing is shattering my fragile feelings at the moment.
:( How we going to be friends if you shit on my Big Titty Anime girl genre?

Dont worry mate, my whole friend list is made of people with completely different anime taste than mine, its the differences that made us friends.
Oct 8, 2018 6:11 AM

Jan 2018
For me, it's like color me impressed. There's no standard, just make something that would make me enjoy it. It's like falling in love, your friends can list down everything bad about her but still you're the one who will go on like the titanic right.
Oct 8, 2018 6:31 AM
Jul 2018
Coming from someone that rated Eromanga Sensei a 7, any show that's enjoyable and entertaining to watch satisfies my personal standard for it to called 'good'.
Oct 8, 2018 6:36 AM

Nov 2017
If it has themes then it's good, anime with no themes = worst shit imaginable. Even shounen themes like friendship if done well is appreciated.
Oct 8, 2018 6:42 AM

Sep 2014
There's no standard. these standards are actually hypocrisy in disguise.
Oct 8, 2018 6:43 AM

Jan 2018
The Mc must NOT be some generic guys in every harem shows,get sick of it.
The story must NOT be slow-paced or I'll watch it in 9000x speed and dont even get anything.
I'm a quite simple person,so that's it.
Oct 8, 2018 6:44 AM

May 2017
genre like psychologycal, comedy or action (romance sucks) and story
Oct 8, 2018 6:50 AM

May 2018
There are no standards except technical ones - like jerky animations, changing art, missing links ect.

You just watch animes and compare them one with another.

Some of them you will respect (no necessary like) more that others: those are the good ones.
When you accumulate enough (and this a point you should choose personally) you will have a scale to work with.
Nothing wrong (or unexpected) if after years you discover that your list needs reevaluation.
alshuOct 8, 2018 7:01 AM
Oct 8, 2018 6:50 AM

Jun 2015
genre like slice of life, romance or drama (action sucks) and atmosphere
Oct 8, 2018 6:51 AM

Jul 2017
Halpher said:

Kings Avatar for some reason was praised while Sword Art Online was crapped on. Usually in discussions, my thoughts are misunderstood. Like when I talked about Bleach I'm confused to why many people find it horrible when it does things "different" like a Main Character who isn't Happy Go-Lucky, has an immense appetite and shouts "never give up".
LUL bleach is ot critisized for it's main character not being happy go lucky. there are a fuckloads of reasons this show can be critisized but that's not one of them.
also fuck happy go lucky characters.

OT:there's no standard to good or bad, just a general consensus. e.i. SAO is critisized for its deus ex machinas, but some people like it more that way.
you can't exactly say one aspect is good or bad objectively. at least, not 100% objectively, that's why critisizing things exist but you can never trust someone else's opinion too much, or even yourself since your own tastes change over time.
Oct 8, 2018 6:54 AM

Jun 2015
Not being low-effort cash-ins and instead being art made with passion from their creators. Simple as that.
Oct 8, 2018 6:59 AM
Oct 2018
It comes down to taste. While I like Fairy Tail I can't stand The Seven Deadly Sins and a few of the genre such as Chivalry of a Failed Knight make me want to beat the crap out of the MC. They are so interchangeable and generic they can be annoying. I'm catching The Devil is a Part-Timer on and off and it's so over the top I find it hilarious. I suppose it's what filters down in you; you like what you like and not everyone likes the same thing. Truthfully, I don't like Attack on Titan but I did like the live action movies. Great or good is in the eye of the beholder.
Oct 8, 2018 7:09 AM

Mar 2016
OP, don't try to make sense of it. If you're perturbed by what you see in episode discussion threads, just realize that the level of engagement people have with anime tends to be very low and and their 'standards' are either nonexistent, superficial or built up with memes.
Oct 8, 2018 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
dude,kings avatar can't be compared to sword art online
they are nothing alike,just because they have to do with games doesn't mean they are the same
Oct 8, 2018 7:15 AM

Aug 2018
1. Story: some originality would be great if not good execution( eg. Death note.. the first half is great, post L is a hot mess)
2. Good character writing( I like to see characters develop, not just the main characters but the side characters as well. To me they should seriously impact the story. MC should not be brain dead and use his head, one of the main reasons I like Deku from BnHA and Subaru from Re:Zero is very well written)
3. An element of realism( I know most shows have a fantastical element) Think HxH, the only time

4. Good Pacing
5. Story Progress since you mentioned it:I’m not fond of the stakes becoming bigger every arc, it’s not believable. It’s much more impactful when the stakes are smaller and more emotional rather than the whole ‘ if I don’t beat him, it’s the end of the world’ kind. One Piece does this very well, it seems very natural
I think if some of the above criteria are met, the anime should be good
Apart from these there are other things of course like Art to consider. I did not think VA was important till I saw Black Clover XD

There are other criteria but these are the things that I look for in all genres. Subjectivity also exists of course
FireballKnuckleOct 8, 2018 7:25 AM
Oct 8, 2018 7:16 AM

Feb 2016
There is no standard, there is no good anime, anime is shit, anime was a mistake it should have never existed...
except JoJo, JoJo is love, JoJo is life.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 8, 2018 7:21 AM
Jul 2018
-Entertaining
-Doesnt have ecchi or moe
Oct 8, 2018 7:21 AM
Sep 2016
FireballKnuckle said:

2. Good character writing( I like to see characters develop, not just the main characters but the side characters as well. To me they should seriously impact the story. MC should not be brain dead and use his head, one of the main reasons I like Deku from BnHA)
3. An element of realism( I know most shows have a fantastical element) Think HxH, the only time

The same applies for Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho. He never loses and there's tons of Deus Ex Machina coupled with plot holes. But people like the show because of the friendship factor.
Oct 8, 2018 7:22 AM
Sep 2016
HereticHunter said:
There is no standard, there is no good anime, anime is shit, anime was a mistake it should have never existed...
except JoJo, JoJo is love, JoJo is life.

only pre DiU. Post Stardust Crusaders is a hot mess of Brazilian Tranny lookalikes.
Oct 8, 2018 7:23 AM

Jan 2016
The only important standard I find is whether or not you enjoyed it. If yes, it's good enough. If you want to try to have a serious discussion, the question to ask is why. Why did you enjoy something or not? Can you think of certain moments, characters, etc. that really appealed to you, and can you articulate why? Or in the case of something that didn't appeal, what about it didn't? If you can answer those, you might be able to have at least some level of discussion.

As for animation, the trick is that good animation isn't the art looking good, it's the art looking fluid, like it's not just one character model they moved an arm on or something. My crash course in bad animation was Food Wars seasons 2 and especially 3. The problem is most shots the only movement is an arm or a mouth while the camera pans, or some special effects fly by in the background to make it look more dynamic. That's bad animation. Good animation tends to mean that the whole character is moving, sometimes in big flashy ways other times in subtler movements. The first Little Witch Academia movie is a great example for seeing what really fluid movement looks like. The key with animation is good animation isn't good artwork, it's good movement.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Oct 8, 2018 7:30 AM

Aug 2018
GoodGuyGale said:
FireballKnuckle said:

2. Good character writing( I like to see characters develop, not just the main characters but the side characters as well. To me they should seriously impact the story. MC should not be brain dead and use his head, one of the main reasons I like Deku from BnHA)

The same applies for Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho. He never loses and there's tons of Deus Ex Machina coupled with plot holes. But people like the show because of the friendship factor.

True. Most MCs in Battle shounen are bad. I can’t speak for others but I’m not particularly fond of Yusuke either. I like the show because the characters are well written and memorable. It even manages to make the villains sympathetic. It’s paced well too. Yusuke does lose though in the final arc. Also I never got the sense he was OP, and could never figure out who among Yusuke, Kurama and Hiei would win in a fight
FireballKnuckleOct 8, 2018 7:33 AM
Oct 8, 2018 7:37 AM
Sep 2016
FireballKnuckle said:
GoodGuyGale said:

True. Most MCs in Battle shounen are bad. I can’t speak for others but I’m not particularly fond of Yusuke either. I like the show because the characters are well written and memorable. It even manages to make the villains sympathetic. It’s paced well too. Yusuke does lose though in the final arc. Also I never got the sense he was OP, and could never figure out who among Yusuke, Kurama and Hiei would win in a fight

For what its worth I didn't like the worldbuilding. Too simplistic. The strongest parts are at the end and the beginning and even then you have to take into account the poor character designs as well. No one ever explained why king enma needed to brainwash demons to keep up his image when most people didn't know he existed.
Oct 8, 2018 7:40 AM

Feb 2018
Stuff that is in my favorites=good
Everything else=crap.
Oct 8, 2018 7:41 AM

Aug 2018
GoodGuyGale said:
FireballKnuckle said:

For what its worth I didn't like the worldbuilding. Too simplistic. The strongest parts are at the end and the beginning and even then you have to take into account the poor character designs as well.

Really? I thought it declined after the tournament arc. Didn’t think the final arc was great. Art I’m not sure. For it’s time I don’t think it’s bad. I agree the world is t very big. It’s just tournament arc after tournament arc and everyone loves those
Oct 8, 2018 7:45 AM
Sep 2016
FireballKnuckle said:
GoodGuyGale said:

For what its worth I didn't like the worldbuilding. Too simplistic. The strongest parts are at the end and the beginning and even then you have to take into account the poor character designs as well.

Really? I thought it declined after the tournament arc. Didn’t think the final arc was great. Art I’m not sure. For it’s time I don’t think it’s bad. I agree the world is t very big. It’s just a high octane action show

Surprisingly I never thought the tournament arc was that good. I always thought most of the character in the tournament arc looking like poorly drawn furries, ninjas or mad scientists was kind of off putting. Also Toguro looking like a dollar store version of Johnny Bravo without a shirt wasn't really that impressive either. Compared to the early Jojo chapters YYH really had a lot of issues. Honestly I think Togashi should have just focused on the Ghost Detective material.
-Mooners-Oct 8, 2018 7:51 AM
Oct 8, 2018 7:51 AM

Oct 2015
the standard for good anime is that it must be approved by the communist regime
if it fails, it's a mistake
if it passes, it's a good anime
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Oct 8, 2018 7:52 AM

May 2014
The anime I rated highly, of course.
Oct 8, 2018 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
It doesn't have to be the deepest or the flashiest or the funniest. For all its set limitations(genre,runtime,goal) , it has to do a good job on all the categories, primarily story and characters. For me, anything I rate a 6.5 or higher is good.
Oct 8, 2018 3:00 PM

Jan 2012

Enjoyment is all that matters.    
Oct 8, 2018 3:08 PM

Aug 2015
If I'm interested about what's gonna happen in the next episode - that's a good anime.
If anime doesn't rely on fanservice and doesn't use overused cliches - it's good.
If anime has a good humor and visuals - it's good
Oct 8, 2018 3:16 PM

May 2013
Forget about standards and crap like that when you are just starting out. Watch and explore all types of shows.

Over time, your tastes will become more refined/nuanced as opposed to the 'I like all kinds of anime mentality' that many start out with. That is the moment where the standards for 'good' anime start to kick in, once you have a sizeable database/experience to use as a reference. Preferences matter a lot.

You'll get a grasp on the idea of good standards once you have your own set of expectations from an anime, which will in turn clash with other people's expectations. That encourages you to see things from their viewpoint and contrast that very viewpoint with your own. Which in turns helps you to understand why there are differing opinions.
KreatorXOct 8, 2018 3:21 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 8, 2018 3:25 PM

Apr 2015
1) Dialogue
2) Story
3) Setting
4) Characters
5) Enjoyment
6) Animation
7) Conclusion

If a show managed to accomplish any of this elements to you, then you know, you got yourself a good anime.
Oct 8, 2018 3:26 PM

Sep 2018
A standard good anime imo is something like Konosuba.
Oct 8, 2018 3:28 PM

Mar 2016
As long as it’s entertaining me, then it’s doing its job, I guess.
Oct 8, 2018 4:01 PM

Jul 2014
If I have to guess, on the most basic level genuinity is what makes a good anime. Most anime do not bring something new and authentic but still produce money, you can find a lot of characters with the same personality all over the place but different voice and design, one-dimensional and hollow; plots that you have seen repeated over 50 times, with the same uninteresting premise.

Again, that is on the most basic level, once you factor the watcher's taste what is good turns into something completely subjective.
Oct 9, 2018 7:46 AM

Aug 2017
KreatorX said:
Forget about standards and crap like that when you are just starting out. Watch and explore all types of shows.

Over time, your tastes will become more refined/nuanced as opposed to the 'I like all kinds of anime mentality' that many start out with. That is the moment where the standards for 'good' anime start to kick in, once you have a sizeable database/experience to use as a reference. Preferences matter a lot.

You'll get a grasp on the idea of good standards once you have your own set of expectations from an anime, which will in turn clash with other people's expectations. That encourages you to see things from their viewpoint and contrast that very viewpoint with your own. Which in turns helps you to understand why there are differing opinions.

I don’t get this post. The topic isn’t asking what makes an anime good, but asking what the “public” thinks is good. There are many times a consensus for an anime somewhere and a standard created by that consensus. Many people don’t agree or care about this because they decide for themselves, which will be the people who sometimes go against popular opinions because they don’t follow the general standard.

Now for what the post here is asking to people here in general, “What makes a good anime?” Specifically ofcourse because anyone can say, “Good writing” but never does anyone mean the same thing. It’s just I wonder if people know what they want or claim to know what they want.
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Oct 9, 2018 9:16 AM

May 2013
Halpher said:

I don’t get this post. The topic isn’t asking what makes an anime good, but asking what the “public” thinks is good. There are many times a consensus for an anime somewhere and a standard created by that consensus. Many people don’t agree or care about this because they decide for themselves, which will be the people who sometimes go against popular opinions because they don’t follow the general standard.

Now for what the post here is asking to people here in general, “What makes a good anime?” Specifically ofcourse because anyone can say, “Good writing” but never does anyone mean the same thing. It’s just I wonder if people know what they want or claim to know what they want.

Well, it's either a major misunderstanding on my part and/or a mistyping on your side, since you started off by saying
Halpher said:

I'm not asking generally. I'm asking specifically...
:D

The premise of this question is by its nature, vague, as this isn't any scientific methodology or technological marvel that have clear cut standards out for them. I interpret the public consensus as 'general' and thereby phrased the post in that manner. As for the last sentence you said, it's what I was getting at. You need to first explore a lot of content and formulate your own consensus. Then you pit that against what the so-called rating system. If it is highly rated, you can infer that the majority of the public found the series to be of good standard. No guarantee that it will be better or worse than your standards though.

According to you, do you infer 'good' with something you enjoyed ? or is it what the public enjoys ( in other words, popularity of the show) ? Just a preliminary question so that there's something to base the discussion upon. Keep this answer in mind for now and bear with me.

Let's take the example of One Piece

Does the public consider this anime to hold 'good' standards? Presumably so.

In comparison, I put Re:Zero as another anime.

Is this my bias? Or is this the public's opinion? Is it appropriate to call this a good standard? Does this solidify the answer you had for that preliminary question I asked? You may notice that I have only offered a perspective in the form of a few explanations and questions, rather than clear-cut answers to your original question.
KreatorXOct 9, 2018 2:13 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 9, 2018 9:57 AM

Apr 2018
I don't get what you meant by not asking for generalization while what you asked here
I want to know about how do you prefer the execution of certain tropes, what characters would you like, how would you like the story to progress, what animation is acceptable to you?
is actually a generalization.

I don't have any standards for good anime. If I enjoy the anime then it's good. I am not an anime experts who spent most his time observing important and trivial things construct an anime. I am simply an anime watcher who watch anime on his free time.

My standard is only when determining where I would place the show in among all shows I've seen so far, either it is for rating purpose or other types of categorization. Good and bad? No, it's not a categorization in my book, it's simply a judgement.

Consensus standard? fu*k that
_Mataga_Oct 9, 2018 10:00 AM
Oct 9, 2018 10:06 AM

May 2012
The only thing that matter is entertainment

If the show is entertaining for me then it is good, and if not then it is bad anime

Unlike many MAL users I don't send time analyzing the animation, and spend time analyzing the story to see if it is had plot hole or whatever. I gave Killing Bites 9/10 because it was extremely entertaining, it was fun from start to finish, and never felt bored while watching it.

Oct 9, 2018 10:07 AM

Aug 2018
The usual standard is: "Does Lightsbane like it?"

Only if I liked it can it be objectively good.
Oct 9, 2018 10:09 AM

Oct 2018
For me loveable characters,good storyline and nice closure
Oct 9, 2018 10:16 AM

Oct 2013
Hard to say, every anime out there has flaws, even the ones considered classic or a masterpiece have few hiccups. The most important for me is the enjoyment and I get to understand what I am watching, whether it is psychologically deep, cliche/generic or whatsoever. It may seem shallow this way but thats how I watch anime since then.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ?

ame - 5 hours ago

25 by Asphiee »»
32 minutes ago

» What are considered 'the best anime clothes'?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

28 by SgtBateMan »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

28 by SaltyCookie »»
1 hour ago

» i think most of us know anime is just a medium, but...

LenRea - 3 hours ago

9 by WatchTillTandava »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.