Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 15, 2018 5:10 AM

Jun 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Watched the first episode today, and I’ve got to say I’m not too sure the direction this will go in compared to the previous season, but it wasn’t bad. A lot of stuff happened, so much info to process. Asuna was cute though, especially with how she has her phone being connected to Kirito’s heart like a monitor, so she can always know if he’s okay.

The way they ended with that cliffhanger as well. It’s going to be a long wait to see what happens next.

Also has Kirito lost weight?
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Sep 15, 2018 6:17 AM

Jan 2015
WARNING THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS

Yeah, I was also lucky enough to watch the screening at the Melbourne Convention Centre around 4-5 hours ago.

It was a great build up with a preview of our idol Luna Haruna singing beforehand. I love her so much.

The episode went by so fast though, the hour felt like mere minutes because of how engrossing the episode was.

I've only seen the anime and I haven't read any of the manga/LN so I'm unaware of where they will take the series from that gut clenching cliffhanger of a first episode.

Cue the credits and the bawws from the audience as the wait for episode two will be excruciatingly long. Luckily we had extra bloopers of the english cast messing up their voice lines to take the edge off.

Overall a great episode and I can't wait for the rest. Sorry for spilling the entire contents of the episode out here, just while it's fresh in my mind.

Though I'm not entirely sure but from what I saw... I think Kirito lost weight?
Sep 15, 2018 10:14 AM
Sep 2018
Is there any chance of leak of the episode? Can't wait for october,who knows something,please,share information!
Sep 15, 2018 4:59 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
I was also fortunate enough to see the premiere at Madman Anime Festival in Melbourne while officially reporting for MAL. I've published a writeup about the episode and the premiere itself that you can read here: https://myanimelist.net/featured/2250

Sep 15, 2018 7:15 PM
Dec 2017
Is it possible to see the episode eng subbed somewhere in the internet? i'm not finding anything. If it's not, am i going to be able to watch it only in october?
Sep 15, 2018 7:55 PM

Jun 2017
Saw it at the Montalban Theater in Hollywood. Glad it was an hour long special, or else it prolly would have been a waste of money. My impression was... well, it's the same old SAO alright haha. It had the rapey looking light novel villain, excruciatingly long coffee shop scenes, bad CGI, and all your other favorite calling cards of the previous SAO seasons.

That gunfight scene was literally better than the entirety of GGO Alternative
Snot-nosed_BratSep 15, 2018 8:02 PM
Sep 15, 2018 10:07 PM

Apr 2018
KNJ_ said:
Is it possible to see the episode eng subbed somewhere in the internet? i'm not finding anything. If it's not, am i going to be able to watch it only in october?
whwn it starts to air in october you will be able to watch it on most anime sites for sure

There are a chance for the first ep to be leaked before 6 october tho
Sep 16, 2018 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
TheLonelyCynic said:

Dentsu said:

I haven't watched ep 1 yet, only read the LN so i'm not sure how much information is revealed in this episode so i will just put this in the spoiler
From what i heard, apparently this episode covers both Prologue I & II of the LN, and this information was included in Prologue II, but maybe this is a minor difference in the anime version, and they might only reveal it in the later episodes
Sep 17, 2018 2:40 AM

Jan 2015
MegaMeo said:
TheLonelyCynic said:

Dentsu said:

I haven't watched ep 1 yet, only read the LN so i'm not sure how much information is revealed in this episode so i will just put this in the spoiler
From what i heard, apparently this episode covers both Prologue I & II of the LN, and this information was included in Prologue II, but maybe this is a minor difference in the anime version, and they might only reveal it in the later episodes

Aha thanks, I sort of already figured it was due to something like that because
The reason we put the question at the end of the post is just as a joke and is a reference to the first episode that can only really be understood once you watch it.

Also why can't I add the show to my "Watching"? :(((
DentsuSep 17, 2018 2:44 AM
Sep 17, 2018 3:22 AM

Sep 2008
Not a huge fan of the series, but I was at the Montalban theatre with a friend who was.. and man, I'm glad I went. SAO seasons start out fine, but watching with a crowd made it great fun! I also somewhat optimistic that this long arc will have more to say on consciousness and reality, but even if it goes bad at least there'll be lots to complain about.

As far as it went plot-wise, it benefited from being a one hour special...especially for heavier subjects - I think Kirito lost weight?
Sep 17, 2018 4:02 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
For those of you who have read the light novel, the first episode covers Prologue I, Prologue II, and the Interlude. I do briefly discuss some aspects of the adaptation in my article here.
Sep 17, 2018 5:20 AM

Nov 2016
Some lucky bastards here xD Guess I have to visit a convention at least once too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 17, 2018 7:07 AM

Apr 2015
I watched the first double-episode in a movie theatre just yesterday.
It's actually good. There are some funny stuff: yaoi-borderline scenes in the beginning (guess who and who) or when Kirito oversleeps in GGO
and wakes up after Asuna & his friends log out. GGO scenes are unique, because they aren't mentionned in the LN if I remember correctly.
The animation effects and graphism in this season are better than SAO II, even if OS is a tiny bit better in comparison.
KasuraSSep 17, 2018 9:35 AM
Sep 17, 2018 8:13 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
The entry has now been set to Currently Airing. Can't wait for the brigades of people and spam accounts scoring it a 10 or a 1 without having actually watched it :D
Sep 17, 2018 10:04 AM

Apr 2018
Such a nice score 9.08 tbh lmao
Sep 17, 2018 10:44 AM

Apr 2015
Shymander said:
For those of you who have read the light novel, the first episode covers Prologue I, Prologue II, and the Interlude. I do briefly discuss some aspects of the adaptation in my article here.

Ok thanks, I still haven't watch it. Man waiting sucks sometimes when so many people already got a peak on it ...

Also, why did they already enable scoring ? Shouldn't they wait until the anime as OFFICIALY aired on TV first ?
Sep 17, 2018 3:50 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
mar1217 said:
Shymander said:

Ok thanks, I still haven't watch it. Man waiting sucks sometimes when so many people already got a peak on it ...

Also, why did they already enable scoring ? Shouldn't they wait until the anime as OFFICIALY aired on TV first ?

Because it has been shown in an official capacity and people have seen it, thus need to add it to their watching list. It makes sense to do that rather than making people wait a month to say they've watched it. I hate it though because people just take the opportunity to dump 10s or 1s on something before it airs (See more: JoJo part 5) but it can't be helped.
Sep 17, 2018 4:58 PM

Jul 2014
yo anyone got a shitty potato camrip torrent yet?
Sep 17, 2018 5:06 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
OppaiSugoi said:
yo anyone got a shitty potato camrip torrent yet?

I don't know about other premiere events, but they were literally patrolling the aisles monitoring the audience at the Australian one, so I'm doubtful there'll be one.
Sep 17, 2018 11:03 PM
Nov 2017
I was one of the unlucky bunch who can't watch the premier (it's not available in my country). But I have read the light novel so I know what is going to happen and can't wait for it.

Dentsu said:
WARNING THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS

Yeah, I was also lucky enough to watch the screening at the Melbourne Convention Centre around 4-5 hours ago.

It was a great build up with a preview of our idol Luna Haruna singing beforehand. I love her so much.

The episode went by so fast though, the hour felt like mere minutes because of how engrossing the episode was.

I've only seen the anime and I haven't read any of the manga/LN so I'm unaware of where they will take the series from that gut clenching cliffhanger of a first episode.

Cue the credits and the bawws from the audience as the wait for episode two will be excruciatingly long. Luckily we had extra bloopers of the english cast messing up their voice lines to take the edge off.

Overall a great episode and I can't wait for the rest. Sorry for spilling the entire contents of the episode out here, just while it's fresh in my mind.

Ok so I want to cover for Subtilizer and the whole Laughing Coffin thing. For all those Laughing Coffin fans out there, Laughing Coffin is back . Spoilers down below

Sep 17, 2018 11:32 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
@Harsh29 As I mention here, one of the things the first episode did well was that they took an extra step from the light novels and added in a scene to tease Subtilizer further since he becomes significant later.
Sep 18, 2018 1:50 PM

Mar 2015
I was wondering why this had ratings and yet no episode avallible on any streaming service as of right now. Tbh, dont think its gonna keep its current rating for too long, however going in with low expectations may lead to suprised enjoyment.
Sep 19, 2018 6:31 AM

Feb 2010
Got to watch it in LA. Merch line was a lot longer than the SAO movie premiere. TBH wasn't surprised that the only SAO3 item sold out was the keychains with all three main characters for a decent price. Pretty much most people there only watched the anime so they woulldn't have a favorite yet for this arc, myself included. Every attendee received a unexpected free Kirito shikishi and one of those plastic covers advertising one of the SAO mobile games. They had cardboard cutouts of the three mains and some anime covers hung behind the cutouts, organized by anime airing dates.

The MC told us the artist for this season wanted to share his kirito artwork with everyone. Not sure who it was, I'm mostly familiar with abec, was able to meet him at AX! The screening begins with the CVs for the two male MC talking about their experience working on the first episode. The SAO dub team was there sitting in the middle seats of the mid section.

As for the first episode itself, I thought it was ok. Asuna's GGO outfit looked pretty cool. The audience's reaction is mainly laughter, especially the bit with Kirito fighting the laughing coffin guy. The way Kirito handled it was as of SAO style, made no sense for the sake of story progression. Also, gotta mention when Alice tripped onto the dark territory, the audience busted out laughing too lmao. TBH, wasn't really worth going, I was hoping for something like guests, but it didn't happened and there was a couple other events that happened on the same day that I could have gone to instead. Oh, wells. But aniplex US once again even for a season premiere event still handled it much better than how No Game no Life: 0 premiere was. Off topic, but it seems sentai are learning from their mistakes with this year's feature film chu2.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2018 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
So Kirito is back...it's been awhile. I have to admit, some of the first few minutes of the episode were amusing.

There's actually quite a bit of focus on him by the looks of it along with two other characters that were introduced (Alice and Eugeo among them). Action wise, it was better than I had expected in terms of actual fighting.

The episode took enough time to show some tragedy content but will definitely need more time to flesh out the main story more (luckly, it's a 4 cour so plenty of time for that). Damn, Alice didn't deserve to be treated like that. But it turns out, the experience that Kirito went through was more of virtual reality.

Really cool to see Sinon back! (my second fav character from the show). Gender bender Kirito is back too lol
Oct 6, 2018 8:56 AM

Nov 2007
Kirito guy being a part of the villager. He's friendly w. a boy called Eugeo, and trying to cut off a huge tree that takes long time to do so. Joined by a girl called Alice w. food.

24 eps. total for this season.
https://sao-alicization.net/bddvd/08.html
tsubasaloverOct 6, 2018 10:22 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 6, 2018 8:56 AM

Feb 2018
Wowow what happend from kirito?
Long time not see Asuna Kiss Kirito :)
Oct 6, 2018 9:33 AM

Apr 2015
Well well well.

I didn't expect for this to be the case but I have literally 0 to complain about how this first episode was done.

Aesthetically it's a jump compared to previous season imo. The lighting & backgrounds just mash perfectly and I'm very fond of the Ordinal Scale-esque designs.

The shot composition and animation is just consistently great and lively. There is always something going on in each frame.

Yuki Kajiura on the music will be able to go all out and so far she has already given us some very sick soundtracks, some comfy some creepy.

Adaptation & pacing-wise this was excellent too. They pretty much got everything done they had to but even took their extra time at some bits that hold lots of information.

And hey they even expanded on a bit that was very quickly written off in the LNs, them being in GGO. It also showed the laughin coffin members so their appearance later in the episode makes way more sense.

Overall you can definitely feel that SAO's production has changed a lot and I think the director change is the decisive factor there.

Oh I will so enjoy this.
Oct 6, 2018 9:46 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
JudoJD said:
Who else is here for the hater comments?
I'm coming back to these forums full time for the season so I'm ready to deal with the haters lol

But based off of what I heard and have seen so far from today's comments, I don't think there will be THAT much hate unless they adapt something wrong
Oct 6, 2018 10:06 AM

Apr 2018
Enkoif said:
How did you guys watch it this early? It came out just now on Crunchyroll. :/
probably on tv from japan
Oct 6, 2018 10:38 AM

Sep 2012
How dumb, first they work on a tree for hundreds of years and then a girl has to be executed because she touched some forbidden ground with her fingers.
But lol at Asuna's heart beat app of Kitiros heart, I bet it will be used to induce drama when it shows that kiritos heart stopped, only that he can appear later "suddenly" alive.

1/10 from me
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Oct 6, 2018 10:49 AM
May 2016
Good Start >.> I just hope that this SAO is less rapey, thats what i did not like about the First Season and GGO >.<
Oct 6, 2018 10:50 AM
Dec 2011
That was an amazing and beautiful episode!!!! I loved it!!!!!! Get to see some more Sinon but no Suguha? Awesomess!!!!!!!
Oct 6, 2018 11:04 AM
May 2018
i think i got a mini heart attack on the last
scene
Oct 6, 2018 11:09 AM
Aug 2018
valoon said:
How dumb, first they work on a tree for hundreds of years and then a girl has to be executed because she touched some forbidden ground with her fingers.
But lol at Asuna's heart beat app of Kitiros heart, I bet it will be used to induce drama when it shows that kiritos heart stopped, only that he can appear later "suddenly" alive.

1/10 from me

Ya sure and 10 from me
Oct 6, 2018 11:10 AM

Apr 2018
Gun Gale scenes and that dragon dog fight looked amazing and vibrant
Oct 6, 2018 11:11 AM
Jun 2016
-Asuna and Kirito's plus Asuna and Sinonon's interaction in Dicey Cafe.
-Asuna wears a ring Kirito gave her in Ordinal Scale.
-Asuna and Kirito's promise and kiss.
These are my first episode.

Who needs harem if he already has such a good girlfriend XP
Oct 6, 2018 11:17 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was hella intriguing, i like the liberty they are taking with this arc.

Also that fkin cliffhanger.

This was good, yes.

Oct 6, 2018 11:20 AM

Jul 2017
Some drama bits were a bit meh, but I liked this premiere episode of Alicization.

The art makes the show feel like its happening in a game for me, which is perfect for a show like this.

The action looked great from what I saw, and Yuki Kajiura continues to work her magic with the music well.

I'm kinda interested in how this will go. Will it be a disaster or an actual good arc? I'm curious.
Oct 6, 2018 11:22 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Thats one big tree that Eugeo is charged with chopping. Their hunt for ice sure led them to quite a find. Alice's punishment though was unexpectedly harsh though. It was fun seeing Kirito and friends fight in GGO though. The heartbeat monitor was an interesting idea though as it allows Asuna to monitor Kirito's health. The info about Fluclights and souls though was interesting. The ambush by Jonny Black of LC sure was shocking though. A strong first episode that not only welcomed us back to the world of SAO but also did a good job of introducing the world of underworld as well. I thought the blend of action, drama and world building was done well here and i hope they continue with this direction.
ShingsterOct 6, 2018 11:30 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2018 11:24 AM

Jun 2016
Seeing eugeo animated was what i was most excited about, i'm certain a lot of ppl will like him strarting from the next few episodes.
They also adapted the chapters well but i really wanted to see the scene were alice and eugeo blushed at each other when he touched her hands :/ oh well.

valoon said:

1/10 from me

So instead of actually trying to undertand the new world kirito was in you just blindly throw of hate on little things on already the first episode. Seems right, keep at it.
Oct 6, 2018 11:26 AM

Dec 2014
That was actually really good, the first half especially was fantastic.
People have always said that Alicization is the best SAO arc and they might just be right. :o

I actually really really liked the first half with Alice and Eugeo. It was interesting, it almost felt like an entirely different show, I was super intrigued because I couldn't make sense of how it was like a game with all the menu's and stuff but everyone was acting like it was a real world. They really had me there with that plotline until Kirito woke up. xD
Already liking Alice, best girl competition intensifies? XD

Just how much budget do A1 have for this? That was some real high quality production throughout the episode. The art is crisp, colorful and vivid, the animation is fluid. Just wow, this is almost at movie level. I doubt it but if they can actually keep this out for the entire run, I'm gonna be surprised.
The GGO scenes were really cool. Really liked Asuna's GGO outfit, really cool.

I guess we got the big explanation for the technology behind what happened in the first half, I kinda wish SAO had started with a plotline like the first half where the characters never realize they're in a virtual world. Would've made for something quite unique and interesting. Kinda like a high fantasy show but not really. xD

Kirito and Asuna's promise was super sweet, I'm glad that both this and the Ordinal Scale movie are showcasing their relationship much better as compared to SAO II where I felt it was kinda sidelined to an extent and it felt weird coming out of the first season where it was such a huge thing.

I admit that I kinda laughed when Kirito reached for his sword in the real world. Ah, what days of gaming do to you. XD

Cliffhanger end but I'm actually pretty excited for what's to come.
This might actually be the best SAO to date, looking forward to it.
Oct 6, 2018 11:27 AM
Aug 2018
AyumiVk said:
Seeing eugeo animated was what i was most excited about, i'm certain a lot of ppl will like him strarting from the next few episodes.
They also adapted the chapters well but i really wanted to see the scene were alice and eugeo blushed at each other when he touched her hands :/ oh well.

valoon said:

1/10 from me

So instead of actually trying to undertand the new world kirito was in you just blindly throw of hate on little things on already the first episode. Seems right, keep at it.
when we have mods like this, what do we need more.
Oct 6, 2018 11:28 AM

May 2015

theyll probably explain the rules of underworld next ep

nice animation what a time to be alive :D
Oct 6, 2018 11:36 AM

Mar 2015
Jesus, the over characterized "villain" near the end was so....cringe.
Ok start i guess, seems like this will be a long ride.
Oct 6, 2018 11:38 AM

Jul 2016
Amazing episode, they adapted well the pacing of LN. I hope it will go on. The art and animation is movie level, just wow. I liked this episode cuz of exposition and see the cast again. I cant wait next episode

Oct 6, 2018 11:39 AM

Feb 2018
This was kinda boring but hey at least more material for sao Abriged.
Oct 6, 2018 11:43 AM

Feb 2018
Also seriously fckn laughing coffin from the first season ??? Why tf are these guys still relevant without sao Abriged I wouldn't even remember them.
Oct 6, 2018 11:47 AM

Aug 2016
Seeing Asuna just makes my day, Also, from the ending song, it seems like this anime is going to be awesome!
Nanika ga Okashii
Oct 6, 2018 11:48 AM

Oct 2008
That was.. epic. I had goosebumps and held my breath few times in this episode.

Good job A-1 Pictures.
Oct 6, 2018 11:50 AM

Nov 2013
Very good start. RIP Kirito.

50 episodes of this holy we're gonna have a field day.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.