Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 24, 2018 5:49 AM
Jan 2018
Am i the only one who think overlord is overrated.Many say they like the series bcuz of OP MC.But the MC is so weird,i feel the MC doesnt fit in,with that skeleton body.And the plot is really simple.I didnt really enjoyed it.I watched season 1,then i quit.I am not telling i hate it,but i didnt like it that much.
Am i the only one who feels that way?
IamNETJan 24, 2018 7:26 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 24, 2018 5:55 AM
Jan 2013
lord is rated because the overs cancel each other
gone bai bai
Jan 24, 2018 5:57 AM

Sep 2016
Nah, many people here probably feel that way too or directly think its trash.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Jan 24, 2018 5:57 AM

Jan 2018
I'll agree/disagree once I get to watch Overlord.
Jan 24, 2018 5:58 AM

Oct 2017
Log Horizon and Overlord are 2 of the most over-rated/ overhyped series I've seen so far.

Huge exposition dump, bad pacing, terrible plot transitioning (Hey, we're doing a raid, gonna spend 2 episodes exposition dump about the other characters and ignore the whole raid thing in the mean time), meh plot, mediocre animation, huge character dumps (hey, gonna introduce 30 random characters in two episodes, and we're going to care about them immediately), tell instead of show, and so many other problems.

I am sure the novel could be good with this style of writing, but it really doesn't transit well into an anime, and requires a way different approach like they did in No Game No Life.

People give it a pass cuz it's MMO setting = most relatable topic to them.
Jan 24, 2018 5:58 AM

Oct 2015
Woah, you have an anime you think is overrated? I'm shook.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jan 24, 2018 6:00 AM

Nov 2016
Of course not, many people(me included) think it sucks.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 24, 2018 6:03 AM

Jan 2014
nah its good its not overrated tho haters will hate
Jan 24, 2018 6:07 AM

Jun 2016
Ventus_S said:
Log Horizon and Overlord are 2 of the most over-rated/ overhyped series I've seen so far.

Huge exposition dump, bad pacing, terrible plot transitioning (Hey, we're doing a raid, gonna spend 2 episodes exposition dump about the other characters and ignore the whole raid thing in the mean time), meh plot, mediocre animation, huge character dumps (hey, gonna introduce 30 random characters in two episodes, and we're going to care about them immediately), tell instead of show, and so many other problems.

I am sure the novel could be good with this style of writing, but it really doesn't transit well into an anime, and requires a way different approach like they did in No Game No Life.

Agree with you a lot on this. Waaay too overhyped.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jan 24, 2018 6:09 AM

Jan 2016
Oh pls no. Not "Overlord" thread again...
Jan 24, 2018 6:09 AM

Apr 2014
It is overrated but who cares, as long as it doesn't hurt you physically no one cares.
Jan 24, 2018 6:12 AM
Sep 2017
Its good, not 'very' good, so slightly overrated imo.. There's something about the MC that makes me imagine how pathetic he was back in his original world that I just end up feeling overwhelmingly sorry for him! Not to mention I get the impression he'll forever be lonely!?
Jan 24, 2018 6:16 AM

Oct 2015
Milk_is_Special said:
It is overrated but who cares, as long as it doesn't hurt you physically no one cares.
But what happens when some anime mentally damage me :^)

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jan 24, 2018 6:19 AM

Jun 2008
Ventus_S said:

You are wrong on both. Indeed their anime aren't that great but do you know why they are considered good as francises by their fans. Because this long expositions etc that make them into boring anime are what makes them great stories that built characters etc and aren't just a simple minded stories of "follow the overpowered MC and see him being awesome" like SAO.
Their stories are better made than that but exactly because of that they end up as mediocre anime experiences since anime are just about the exciting scenes and your teens getting bored of any deeper storytelling. especially the way anime are made now into small seasons where the viewers are eager to get into the "cool" scenes because there aren't many episodes to waste.
the makers of this anime fail as well by not knowing which route to go(should i show the whole world building etc or just skip) and trying to something in between by rushing things and then failing completely.
SAO that is more swallow is more fit to serve as an anime to show you waifus and cool fights.

And you as a TTGL fan is not surprising to dislike them since you are exactly the kind of person that only appreciates the supposed "cool" scenes.

MonadJan 24, 2018 6:27 AM
Jan 24, 2018 6:21 AM

Nov 2016
Everything that came out in the 2010's and has a 8.0+ Score is Overrated?? Ovelord speciffically yes it is overrated but I have seen a ton of threads like this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2018 6:23 AM
Sep 2011
Just about all Japanese media that dip their toes or knees in classical fantasy genre of late (e.g. Overlord, Gate, Danmachi) tend to be heavily overrated, so yes.
Jan 24, 2018 6:34 AM
Aug 2011
I gave Overlord a 9/10 and the current season an 8/10 because it knows exactly what it is and goes all out on it. It's a blatant power fantasy with a character who has a unique design given he isn't a pretty boy like Kirito but instead a handsome skeleton whom his #2 in command has a body pillow of.

Season 2 is world building a lot but that is fine, the lizard men stuff is still very entertaining.
Jan 24, 2018 6:35 AM

Apr 2016
Of course it is, as every isekai, fantasy and harem light novel adaptations.
Jan 24, 2018 6:38 AM

Apr 2017
No... that's just your faBBotry instincts.. Less the EGO... written by a detestable c*nt

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jan 24, 2018 6:41 AM

May 2016
It is, but you won't do much about it.
It could have a score below six, and it'd still be overrated.
Jan 24, 2018 6:43 AM

Nov 2009
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1504768&show=1500
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Jan 24, 2018 6:46 AM
Apr 2016
The LN is pretty damn good. The anime? Not so much.
It's super simplified over the LN and very, very rushed.
Most the LN fans like me just want to see our favorite parts or characters animated. Other, lesser fans, just like OP MCs. Though the ones seeking OP guys are plain obnoxious.
Jan 24, 2018 6:48 AM
Apr 2016
Lonely-Wolf said:

Is that a Gilgamesh quote I see? (on your banner or whatever)
Very good.
Jan 24, 2018 6:54 AM

Dec 2015
Maybe it is overrated, like a lot of other shows.
But I don't really care, I think it is pretty good anyway. (I'm not loving the second season, but anyway... it's not that bad, could be worse).

Jan 24, 2018 7:10 AM

Apr 2014
-Lofn- said:
Milk_is_Special said:
But what happens when some anime mentally damage me :^)
Than you are weak minded and don't deserve to live in this world.
Jan 24, 2018 7:16 AM

Aug 2017
It might be rated a bit too high for me, I had a bit fun watching it tho, But the visuals and the story itself were just kinda off.....Which I feel both will be improved in season 2, The visuals already look a tad bit better and the story seems the same weird and not explained that much where we could understand completely on whats happening.
Jan 24, 2018 7:20 AM

Feb 2016
dunno if anyone cares about this show tbh
Jan 24, 2018 7:46 AM
Aug 2016
Yes, yet another random alt account, you're the only one on this planet who thinks like that.
Jan 24, 2018 7:56 AM

Mar 2016
yeah it's fucking overrated - I've seen the anime/manga/light novel, three mediums has high reputation, but do you know why???? It's because of FUCKING SEBAS, the best character in OVERLORD that has surpassed a lot of main characters out there, just wait for his appearance in the anime I guarantee that the score will even get higher.

for now just wait for the

Honest answer why it's overrated
Cheats and Overpowered (standard ingredient)
Unique MC (not actually, only Sebas is the true MC)
Isekai (another shitty ingredient)
Harem (but no romance :/ )
Awesome MC (boring as fuck)
Villain Protagonist (actually not, but the subjects are cruel as fuck)
youseikiJan 24, 2018 8:01 AM
Jan 24, 2018 12:27 PM

Oct 2017
Monad said:
Ventus_S said:

You are wrong on both. Indeed their anime aren't that great but do you know why they are considered good as francises by their fans. Because this long expositions etc that make them into boring anime are what makes them great stories that built characters etc and aren't just a simple minded stories of "follow the overpowered MC and see him being awesome" like SAO.
Their stories are better made than that but exactly because of that they end up as mediocre anime experiences since anime are just about the exciting scenes and your teens getting bored of any deeper storytelling. especially the way anime are made now into small seasons where the viewers are eager to get into the "cool" scenes because there aren't many episodes to waste.
the makers of this anime fail as well by not knowing which route to go(should i show the whole world building etc or just skip) and trying to something in between by rushing things and then failing completely.
SAO that is more swallow is more fit to serve as an anime to show you waifus and cool fights.

And you as a TTGL fan is not surprising to dislike them since you are exactly the kind of person that only appreciates the supposed "cool" scenes.

I like TTGL doesn't mean I don't appreciate other form of anime that's more settle.

I love Nagi no Asukara and another light novel adaptation which is dialogue/ word heavy : Bakemonogatari. (I haven't watched all the spin off yet but I particularly like the first one) I think Stein's Gate and Shinsekai Yori is great too, with Shinsekai Yori being a more flawed anime because of huge exposition dump too.

I just require the "anime" to actually put effort in their animation and story telling technique cuz this is anime, not a novel. If I want to see a novel-like anime, I'll just read the novel.

I expect them to show me the things they blabbed about instead of just info dump on me, which is the laziest way of story telling in anime. I expect better pacing and transitioning. I expect better ways to introduce the characters so each of them flash out while not breaking the flow of anime.

And thanks for straw-man me as impatient teens and using ad hominem to personally offend me instead of rebut my argument. It really raises your credibility and persuasiveness alot. Hope you do will with this type of atttitude in real world.
Ventus_SJan 24, 2018 12:33 PM
Jan 24, 2018 12:39 PM

Oct 2017
Red_Ryu12345 said:
I gave Overlord a 9/10 and the current season an 8/10 because it knows exactly what it is and goes all out on it. It's a blatant power fantasy with a character who has a unique design given he isn't a pretty boy like Kirito but instead a handsome skeleton whom his #2 in command has a body pillow of.

Yes, this is the reason people give it high rating.

Not cuz plot or animation or anything.
People actually like those op powerful mc, but they're just bored of teenage high school boy being that all-mighty mc.

So when a cool bone-lord character who looks like a villain becomes that all-mighty op mc, people suddenly praise it instead of despise it like they did to other all-mighty op male mc.

This is also why people like Season 2 abit less cuz their op all-mighty mc has less screen time.
Jan 24, 2018 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
to each their own m8

the author said
"I don't believe the main characters in novels and movies who rescue people without asking for anything in return.
Readers who acknowledge that prioritizing yourself is the right mentality will enjoy this book.
It's very direct."

i like this and for more than one reason. kind of a blog post but this contains everything that i want in a fantasy setting

-OP MC
-minor politics
-medieval setting
-has servants(kind of like warlock/necromacer)
-is skeleton, which i like because i always found it ridiculous when in a game, out of all the classes people still choose human class. like you get to be from elf to undead but you still choose to be a pleb.
-contains magic(sadly i find it stupid with the magic circles, not only over used but it looks childish to me)
-has different types of specific fighting style(tank, healer, dps)
-contains dragons
-possible world domination
Jan 24, 2018 1:15 PM

Jul 2017
its ok but not overrated

its really up to the viewer to decide maybe its really not up to your taste I guess

Jan 24, 2018 1:27 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
Is it really? I don't see it brought up all that much. Maybe the fans of it are louder then perceived?

Also it's not offensive. I rather have that then fucking Eromanga Sensei.
Jan 24, 2018 1:29 PM

Jul 2014
Never watched the anime but the Light novel is fire so nope.
Jan 24, 2018 1:31 PM

Nov 2016
yes overlord is completely overrated
its a 6.5 / 10 in my book, 6 on MAL

i have a theory that people just praise it because it has similar traits with SAO (trapped in game) except it manages to avoid doing the bad stuff
but if you look at it independently theres nothing there

its like season 1 is a prologue. so lame.
it was like watching someone play a video game.
Jan 24, 2018 1:41 PM

Oct 2017
kisb said:

i have a theory that people just praise it because it has similar traits with SAO (trapped in game) except it manages to avoid doing the bad stuff

Correction: It's like watching someone who spent a huge amount of real money to get OP in an imbalanced pay-to-win MMO.

Momonga will do very well in Star Wars Battlefront 2 I'm sure of.
Ventus_SJan 24, 2018 1:45 PM
Jan 24, 2018 1:44 PM

Nov 2016
Ventus_S said:
kisb said:

Correction: It's like watching someone who spent a huge amount of real money to get OP in an imbalanced pay-to-win MMO.

My bad.
It was like watching someone play a moderately good video game
Jan 24, 2018 7:37 PM

Jul 2009
1) Protagonists are villains.
2) Protagonists are ridiculously overpowered.
3) Protagonists are non-human.
4) Solid world-building (in the novels anyway). Works well as a standalone fantasy series.
5) Some unique relationships.

Well, I like Overlord. The Light novels are definitely better than the anime though.
Jan 25, 2018 7:30 AM

Jan 2014
True-Archer said:
Lonely-Wolf said:

Very good.

yep gilgamesh :D (fate stay night unlimited blade works ^^)
Jan 25, 2018 11:47 AM
Apr 2016
Lonely-Wolf said:
True-Archer said:

Very good.

yep gilgamesh :D (fate stay night unlimited blade works ^^)

My favorite character of all time besides Kerei.
Yorokobe Shounen
Jan 25, 2018 12:03 PM

Feb 2015
As long as it's isekai, the pattern will "overrated" or "trash" pick one and go for it.
Sep 7, 2018 10:19 PM
Sep 2018
I have watched Overlord from Season 1 - 2 and is following its Season 3. I personally would say that its not Overrated. It lives up to all the hype.

However, the answer to this question is usually dependent on the anime fan who will answer.

The most common negative feedback I hear about this anime series is it lacks action, a lot of talks. However, this do not bother me. Important discussions/ talks in the anime is as entertaining to me as the fights.

I do want to see more action, but this does not make the anime less entertaining and effective.

Personally, I think its Overlord can be considered as one of the best anime series so its not overrated.

Here is my personal review of the anime:
http://www.source-anime.com/anime-review/overlord/
Sep 7, 2018 11:32 PM

Jun 2017
"Overlord is Overrated?"
Yes, it's even worse than SAO...
Sep 8, 2018 12:08 AM

Jun 2011
Definitely overrated. When I am watching the show there's really no sense of direction as to where the story is heading towards. The first season was pretty good, it introduced the setting well, but right now the show is basically slice of life (not the mellow/chill type of SOL) Ainz is basically building up his empire Nazarick and it feels like there's no purpose in that.. inb4 Ainz woke up from his coma and it was all just his dream

At least Log Horizon tries to unravel the mystery behind everything, and is actually entertaining as all hell to watch. It feels like there's a direction to the story. Also helps when Shiroe is a better protagonist than Ainz, and Log Horizon have better supporting characters as well.

Ainz is just a bore truth be told, he's acting as this really cool figure, talking about how he doesn't feel human emotion anymore but behind the mask he's a teenage boy that gets flustered at girls he programmed to throw themselves at him.

The lizardmen arc was a borefest. It's not the best idea to start off season 2 with that arc, especially when you have a gap between season 1 and season 2.

So yea I don't know if there's any purpose to the story, as it was introduced as an isekai/game. Most of the characters are flat npc. The story's trying to make them into more of a human though, "for the greater good of Nazarick", like, why?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 8, 2018 2:53 AM

Jan 2018
It's one of the best isekai currently running and ongoing with season 3. Uhh boy 10/10 overlord.
Sep 8, 2018 3:17 AM
Jul 2018
All isekai mmorpg anime are overrated!
Sep 8, 2018 4:34 AM

Oct 2014
No, because for some reason any isekai series is taken to some super high standard just because it's isekai. A series like Overlord which already started in 2015 is actually still better off.

Any isekai anime adaptation from 2017 on seems to have it even worse because like 99% of the evaluation is the setting and almost every other aspect is being ignored for some reason. They get dismissed for having "the same start", yet other genres, be it the usual shounen series or any "regular" fantasy series, is for some reason allowed to get away with "being the same as everything else" for some reason.

So no, I don't think Overlord is overrated. On the contrary I think it's underrated just because it's isekai, though not as much as newer isekai series.
Sep 8, 2018 6:12 AM

Jun 2015
Ventus_S said:

You just expressed most of what I want to say about overlord but I think that Log horizon is better because it really shows how a real MMORPG looks like. Actually Log Horizon does it better than any other anime yet I'm very salty to see how LH season 2 ended the anime franchise because of that arc around the end that was so boring that everybody were like FUCK IT when the whole season 2 of Overlord was a pain in the ass for how plain, empty and boring it was yet manages to have almost an 8 but also the anime lives to see a season 3 that was released very quickly too while a lot of actual good animes doesn't manage to have a season 2. How pitiful !

Sep 8, 2018 6:43 AM

Oct 2014
Dark_Lord9 said:
Ventus_S said:

You just expressed most of what I want to say about overlord but I think that Log horizon is better because it really shows how a real MMORPG looks like. Actually Log Horizon does it better than any other anime yet I'm very salty to see how LH season 2 ended the anime franchise because of that arc around the end that was so boring that everybody were like FUCK IT when the whole season 2 of Overlord was a pain in the ass for how plain, empty and boring it was yet manages to have almost an 8 but also the anime lives to see a season 3 that was released very quickly too while a lot of actual good animes doesn't manage to have a season 2. How pitiful !

That's not quite right. "Season 3" was planned long before "Season 2" started airing. Because pre-production can't be done in mere 3-6 months. It was essentially planned as a single 26 episodes split-cour season, but Madhouse kept it a secret until the first part (i.e. "Season 2") finished airing. I suspect that they planned to make it a 26 episodes split-cour instead of a regular 13 episodes season exactly for the reasons you mentioned. The ending of "Season 2" was rather underwhelming and Madhouse didn't want the hype from Season 1 do die, so they decided to put "Season 3" right afterwards, since it has a much better and somewhat conclusive ending that might surpass the one from Season 1.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.