Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 22, 2017 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
I want to better understand the people who stick to their guns and never drop anime, because I'm the exact opposite. I have no problems whatsoever dropping a show after the first episode - sometimes earlier - if I didn't have something to latch onto. If you never drop shows, what are your reasons? If you hate a show from the beginning, how do you not just turn it off and go watch something else?
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 22, 2017 2:16 PM

Dec 2013
If I don't enjoy a show I don't really bother watching it.
Feb 22, 2017 2:20 PM

Mar 2014
For it is a matter of no matter how bad a show is I want to experience it through to the end to have the absolute knowledge and understanding of it so I can talk about or to see every part of it, because although not every anime will be good overall I think there are always hidden gem scenes that are still awesome to experience and that alone makes it that if I dropped I'd never know what I could potentially be missing out on!

All that aside it can sometimes really suck when a show just isn't for me and never happens to have any of them good moments I keep pushing onwards for :c - but most the time I only watch shows after looking into them enough and deciding this is favorable in being towards my liking so it's rarer I get shows that I genuinely don't appreciate a single thing about.
Feb 22, 2017 2:21 PM

Sep 2015
Why would I watch a show that bores me?

You just lost the game
Feb 22, 2017 2:22 PM

Apr 2014
yeah some shows are just too garbage imo
Feb 22, 2017 2:22 PM

Nov 2016
I personally don't drop shows because I like to experience everything the show has to offer.
Feb 22, 2017 2:24 PM

Jan 2008
Title need to be changed to "Are you a masochist?"
Feb 22, 2017 2:25 PM

Jul 2016
i used to try not to drop any anime but tbh life is too short for shit anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2017 2:29 PM
Jul 2018
Danakano said:
For it is a matter of no matter how bad a show is I want to experience it through to the end to have the absolute knowledge and understanding of it so I can talk about or to see every part of it, because although not every anime will be good overall I think there are always hidden gem scenes that are still awesome to experience and that alone makes it that if I dropped I'd never know what I could potentially be missing out on!

All that aside it can sometimes really suck when a show just isn't for me and never happens to have any of them good moments I keep pushing onwards for :c - but most the time I only watch shows after looking into them enough and deciding this is favorable in being towards my liking so it's rarer I get shows that I genuinely don't appreciate a single thing about.

I see. You do your research to make sure what you want to watch will be worth your time. Not a bad way to go about it. I tend to just dive into a show I think will interest me, without looking to deep into it.

Paul said:

lol, That's why I was most curious about people who push themselves through shows they don't like.
Feb 22, 2017 2:30 PM

Mar 2014
Uhm I also think I should add to what I said earlier, I wouldn't say i'm on a no drop policy just that I will really give things a chance to come back and nothing yet has been so long and terrible combined that i've had to drop it.

I think something will be that bad eventually though O_O
Feb 22, 2017 2:31 PM

Sep 2012
tenltd said:
Do you have a 'I'm Masochist Policy'?

No I don't. Usually I just don't even bother them t add the dropped list.
Feb 22, 2017 2:41 PM

Feb 2010
I'd call myself about as completionist as I can be without being a complete masochist or quitting the medium. At least I used to be, nowadays I do drop things with more ease than I used to, especially seasonals. But I never tried to force myself to not drop anything ever. Life is too short for that. Not only is always better to have options when you're watching something in case it becomes a real chore and I'd rather not watch anything than watch more of that show. It also makes huge difference in terms of mentality.

I'd never be willing to try anything out of my comfort zone if I wasn't ready to drop it. For example I wouldn't have given something like Nana or Nodame Cantabile a shot when I was still basically avoiding romance anime if I knew I'd have to finish it no matter how the experiment turned out. I'd still be watching nothing but action and sci-fi and mystery stuff, or more likely, have quit the medium because I'd eventually grow tired of watching only one or two types of shows.

This mentality thing is also very relevant for seasonals since the option of dropping gives me more freedom to check out a variety of shows even if it's only on a whim. I'd have missed out on a multitude of gems over the years if I wasn't willing to do that, and I wouldn't if one bad choice meant having to sit through at least 12 episodes of extremely trite shit. I've 'accidentally' picked up some really terrible shows over the years and I've dropped them with no regret once their true nature became obvious.

That being said I always actively try as long as possible to enjoy something once I decide to watch it and I don't really drop shows on a whim just because they didn't hook me immediately (I do that with live aciton series tho). Usually there needs to be something actively bugging me about the series for me to get rid of it. And even then I usually give it at least 2-3 episodes. The exception is when I completely misjudged the nature of a show because of misleading or missing tags or other information.

But as I mentioned, recently I started to be more lax with dropping seasonals so it can definitely happen in those cases that I just drop a show after 2-3 episodes because I'm not really into it, even when it hasn't done anything particularly wrong.

The biggest remainder of my completionism is that I still always try to watch all the specials and every other entry related to a show as long as I didn't hate the show. Sometimes I've gone out of my way to locate some obscure 3 minute specials in RAW or obtained old VHS recordings of recap episodes you can't even find on the internet just so I could finish the whole franchise : >.
AlcoholicideFeb 22, 2017 2:46 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 22, 2017 2:42 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I barely have any shows dropped and I actually might go back to them for the sake of it. Idk but I wouldnt say i have a no drop policy.
Feb 22, 2017 2:46 PM
Jun 2016
When I don't like an anime, it is more likely to go in "On Hold" and I might watch it years after, when I have nothing better to do... :)
Feb 22, 2017 2:48 PM

Oct 2014
I do not. There are many anime that I have dropped that I have zero intention of attempting to complete. I will go back to watching some of my so called dropped anime, though.
Feb 22, 2017 2:55 PM

Jul 2012
I have a firm no drop policy. Maybe I just have a high tolerance for shows, maybe it's because I'm heavily focused on seasonals so it's easier to digest shows on a weekly basis, maybe it's just to be absolutely sure I have a complete memory of each show and aspects of it I wasn't a fan of, or in some cases I bury it amongst shows I enjoy so basically a reward system.
To expand on each point though, it takes a lot for a show to be frustrating to me. Like the only time I would consider dropping something if it is almost physically painful but also extremely long. I've only really finished one show that met both of those qualities but it was a weekly show since I watched it on TV and it was cemented between 2 shows I wanted to watch.
Which is also why I think it's easier to watch seasonal shows because a couple bad shows out of 20-30 are hardly enough to deter me enough to drop them when it's only 1 episode a week.
Although I hate recommendations in general it's nice to know that no one can ever recommend me a show I hated and say "but no it's totally great after *insert episode here*".
Feb 22, 2017 3:18 PM

Feb 2015
I used to have that policy when I first started watching anime a few years ago. It's rare, but i'll drop a show if it sucks ass. I give just about every show the "3 episode rule" before judging it
Feb 22, 2017 3:32 PM

Jun 2013
i dont have this rule but i know someone who does. it seems to torture them more often than not. it makes me appreciate not having to be careful what i start and not having to do research to make sure i can stay in it for the long haul.
Feb 22, 2017 3:36 PM

May 2015
No. Life's too short to spend time watching terrible anime. I can't think of anything more pointless than forcing yourself through a generic, seasonal anime that you don't like.
Feb 22, 2017 3:42 PM

Feb 2013
Yes.
It's a great way to make yourself enjoy the anime you like a lot more if you keep watching anime that you find boring or annoying.
Feb 22, 2017 4:30 PM

Jan 2016
Nope. Never have and never will. Dropping anime enables you to search for other more anime that is actually worth your time.
Feb 22, 2017 4:31 PM

Jul 2015
It's more of like a mental thing for me. As much as I'd like to drop something, I can't get myself to.
I have four dropped shows though because I dropped them before it became an issue for me
Feb 22, 2017 4:34 PM

Aug 2013
I try really hard not to drop shows, I want to see what they have to offer to me, but sometimes it's just impossible.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2017 4:54 PM

Nov 2013
God no. I would have shot myself if I had to keep watching Gintama.
Feb 22, 2017 4:56 PM
Aug 2016
I try to follow the 3 episode rule, sometimes I give it more. Other times I'll drop it on the spot if I have a feeling I won't be interested.
Feb 22, 2017 4:59 PM
Sep 2015
I have a list too long of anime that I have pending to watch, sometimes I'm watching an anime series and I'm not in the mood to see it in that exactly moment, so I decide to do it later, then I put it on hold to watch it later. But some other times I just don't support it for some reason, and I decide that I'm not gonna waste my time trying watch it complete
Feb 22, 2017 5:07 PM

Sep 2016
I try to finish every show I start and when a show becomes unbearably boring/bad I try to finish it as quickly as possible so that I don't have to think about it again. THe only shows I've dropped are anime I watched back when I was a kid and shows I simply forgot about.
Feb 22, 2017 5:12 PM

Feb 2017
I do have a non drop policy.
Once i started an anime. I finish it till the end even if i got bored at episode 1 or 2.

I just cant wait till im finished and give it a shit score. Got like 3-4 animes where it was painfull to watch because it was just sooo bad (story wise, characters acting).
Feb 22, 2017 5:23 PM

Feb 2015
What's a better question?

"Do you have a 'No On-hold Policy'?"

Ohhh much better.

"Do you have a 'PTW Policy'?"

Even better

" Do you have a 'Watching Policy'?"
Feb 22, 2017 5:27 PM

Feb 2015
Paul said:

Pretty much most people here on MAL will agree on that, I mean, that they are a M...
Feb 22, 2017 5:28 PM

Jun 2012
I have a no drop policy in terms of if I don't enjoy it, I'll remove it from my list & maybe come across it again with no idea I watched it in the first place and maybe (hopefully) have a new perspective that allows me to enjoy it, in which case I'll probably watch it to completion. If not, rinse & repeat.
Feb 22, 2017 5:35 PM

Oct 2015
If i feel i don't want too continue i have no problem dropping a series.
Too kawaii to live, too mahou shoujo to die >:D
Feb 22, 2017 5:37 PM

Jul 2016
From the start, I decided to never give up on an anime, no matter how bad it was (unless it offended me in some way). So far I haven't dropped anything, so yeah I'm a masochist a pretty strong person I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 22, 2017 5:42 PM

Sep 2013
Yeah, I have a no drop policy because I'm a masochist and I like to make myself suffer. Also I'll go nuts if I don't finish a show and find out what happens in the end.
Feb 22, 2017 6:02 PM

Feb 2015
i used to have the no drop policy... until i dropped it :)
Feb 22, 2017 6:04 PM

May 2015
I don't like leaving a story unfinished. I have that mindset where:

Feb 22, 2017 6:10 PM

Aug 2015
I'd like to say I have Don't Waste Time (on subjectively bad anime) Policy, but even then I break it from time to time.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Feb 22, 2017 6:25 PM

Feb 2017
Ya I do, I hate dropping anime. But there is no reason to do that anyway, when the option to just delete the anime from your list is there lol. But, I also just avoid shit anime altogether, and only watch the stuff I know I'm going to give a high rating too. So saying all that, there's not really much of a high probability when it comes to what I'll drop.
Feb 22, 2017 6:35 PM

Dec 2012
No, I abandon ship pretty fast once I'm sure I'm not going to enjoy it.

I used to finish everything, but that only lasted for maybe the first 5 years of my fandom (and I've been for a fan for 20 years now). After forcing myself to waste so much time and money on terrible shitty anime I came to the conclusion that I'd be much more happy and sane if I just dropped them and moved on to better things.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Feb 22, 2017 6:36 PM

Jul 2014
No and it pretty stupid to have one, unless your some kind of professional critic.
Feb 22, 2017 7:28 PM

Jan 2014
i have a no drop policy so it makes me look cool and my insecure self feels more proud of itself

and also having the zero in there is an achievement, yet i have ones in the on-hold list idk if im gonna end them soon or later.
Cuteness > Everything else
Cuteness is Love, Cuteness is Life
Feb 22, 2017 7:34 PM

Jan 2017
No. I prefer not to suffer willingly when possible.

Feb 22, 2017 7:47 PM

Mar 2012
i'll drop 5 minutes into the first episode if i'm not enjoying it, lol. life's too short to be watching anime, let alone anime i don't like
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Feb 22, 2017 7:49 PM
Oct 2015
i dont have one unless it is boring as hell, or has stupid plot twists like boco no pico
dylanrivers10000Feb 22, 2017 8:02 PM
Feb 22, 2017 7:50 PM

Jun 2016
I ain't gonna drop every single last of bit.... cause you missing the whole series..

everytime you encounter a cliche you hate... don't bother it until it gets better...
Feb 22, 2017 7:58 PM

Jul 2013
I'll usually stick it out until the end and be more careful with picking up new series in the future.
Feb 22, 2017 8:10 PM

Dec 2015
I used to not drop anime but than I came across This Shit.
Feb 22, 2017 8:12 PM

Sep 2013
No, I think it's best to avoid stupid policies.
Feb 22, 2017 8:13 PM

Apr 2016
I don't as I like to finish stories. I also review and talk about the shows I have finished so if I was to drop it, I wouldn't be able talk about it. Unless it is Endride, then it can have all the bad reviews it deserves.
This is a signature. It is used to hold images and words. However, I am using it to store these lines your reading right now!
Feb 23, 2017 12:42 AM

May 2016
I really don't like dropping shows. I'd rather see the show through to the end. Unless it has hundreds of episodes then I'm not going to sit through them all. If its 12-15 I'll tough it out.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - May 31

70 by Cammell »»
24 seconds ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - 2 hours ago

14 by APolygons2 »»
12 minutes ago

» What were the best years for you when it came to watching anime?

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

25 by ColourWheel »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime with the best first ep ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Jaberlen - Dec 23, 2009

220 by WatchTillTandava »»
17 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - 9 hours ago

28 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.