Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 25, 2016 2:03 AM

Jul 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A bit disappointed since I was expecting the series to be more Yuugi-centric and the fact that Kaiba has not got over his Atem obsession, the driving point of this series alongside Aigami's warped view on the world. I will not deny, though, that I love all scenes where Atem showed up despite how few it was; he literally only said one line (and it was not even him per se). Kaiba's new system was out of this world, and there were a few times wherein I just wanted to laugh. Ending was great, but I wish we saw the conclusion of the Yuugi/Kaiba and Kaiba/Atem duels. Transcend Game and The Dark Side of Dimensions as subtitles is truly fitting.

I love the updated designs and OST. Yuugi has truly matured, and his smile when he said Atem was no longer in the puzzle killed me. My pair of nostalgia glasses is permanently stuck on my nose bridge, so I would not mind seeing more from the original series. Seeing everyone again is a godsend.
Apr 25, 2016 11:17 PM
Jul 2013
Does Yugi duel in this? I just read the summary on wikia, and it seemed like yugi didn't even get any dueling time.
Apr 26, 2016 1:13 AM

Jul 2013
SuperiorMX94 said:
Does Yugi duel in this? I just read the summary on wikia, and it seemed like yugi didn't even get any dueling time.
Since you read the summary, I will assume you are fine with spoilers. The climatic duel in the film is when Yuugi teams up with Kaiba to defeat Aigami. During the duel, Kaiba gets defeated. Yuugi was about to be defeated by the 'darkness' brought about by Aigami, but Atem's 'spirit' (or whatever) showed up, which shows the two of them acting simultaneously.
Apr 26, 2016 1:50 AM
Jul 2013
they didn't use tribute summons and all did they? yugi summoned dark magician frm hand?
Apr 26, 2016 4:58 AM

Jul 2014
Just finished watching it, a bit disappointed with how everything transpired, the no sacrifice calls with them screaming was cringy as fck. That ending too, the way Atem defeated Aigami and called baldy as a monster with no explanation on how that fckin happened. Atem didnt even say anything besides Kaiba's Atem imagination fight. Other than that the only up side about this is the new art and effects, Dark Magician had a major make over and I guess I'm happy I got to see Dark Magician Girl twice.

I must say Anzu's gotten hot tho lol.
Apr 26, 2016 2:45 PM
Aug 2015
Ana said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A bit disappointed since I was expecting the series to be more Yuugi-centric and the fact that Kaiba has not got over his Atem obsession, the driving point of this series alongside Aigami's warped view on the world. I will not deny, though, that I love all scenes where Atem showed up despite how few it was; he literally only said one line (and it was not even him per se). Kaiba's new system was out of this world, and there were a few times wherein I just wanted to laugh. Ending was great, but I wish we saw the conclusion of the Yuugi/Kaiba and Kaiba/Atem duels. Transcend Game and The Dark Side of Dimensions as subtitles is truly fitting.

I love the updated designs and OST. Yuugi has truly matured, and his smile when he said Atem was no longer in the puzzle killed me. My pair of nostalgia glasses is permanently stuck on my nose bridge, so I would not mind seeing more from the original series. Seeing everyone again is a godsend.

Kaz mentioned very early on that Kaiba would be the primary focus of this movie. It's also why he was on the center of the first poster too. I don't know if you ever read the manga but the movie is supposed to serve as a sequel to the manga rather than the original anime series. This might be why some are confused as to why Kaiba is suddenly obsessive over Atem and his character has seemingly regressed, but the thing is in the original manga Kaiba disappeared after losing to Atem in Battle City. He was never shown again in the Millennium World arc (besides Priest Seto but that's a different Kaiba) and thus never saw Yugi beat Atem in the final duel. His last scenes in the manga were him lamenting his defeat and his rage at not beating his rival. It's the one thing that keeps him going and I heard Kaz did a pretty good job of showing that in this movie and if you read Transcend Game you can see that as well. It's also why the duels are a bit different too because they're closer in tone to the original manga.
Apr 27, 2016 1:24 AM

Jul 2013
@Sterben0022: What is your point? It being announced as Kaiba-centric does not stop my reaction from that of mild disappoint (I love the film, still), and I never mentioned being confused about his obsession. If you took five seconds of looking at my list as opposed to writing that long narrative, you would know I have read both.

I heard Kaz did a pretty good job showing that in this move
You have not even seen it, yet you are already criticising my opinion.
Apr 27, 2016 3:36 AM

Aug 2010
So, any upgrade for Yugi's Dark Magician? When I said upgrade I mean a new form and not a DM support spell/trap.
Apr 27, 2016 4:57 AM

Dec 2015
If Kaiba was never seen again after Battle City in the manga, how does he know about Atem? Did the manga version of him believe in magic??
Apr 27, 2016 11:27 AM
Aug 2015
Ana said:
@Sterben0022: What is your point? It being announced as Kaiba-centric does not stop my reaction from that of mild disappoint (I love the film, still), and I never mentioned being confused about his obsession. If you took five seconds of looking at my list as opposed to writing that long narrative, you would know I have read both.

I heard Kaz did a pretty good job showing that in this move
You have not even seen it, yet you are already criticising my opinion.

My point is you should have expected for Yugi to not get as much spotlight since Kaiba is the center of the movie. This was explicitly stated by Kaz months before the movie was to be released. I've heard this same complaint by many other people but it's not a good excuse to be disappointed.

Secondly, Kaiba has always been a nutcase and very insecure person. It should not surprise you he hasn't gotten over his obsession with Atem. This should be even more obvious since the last you see of him in the manga is ass getting kicked by Atem. If you read the manga, which you apparently have, you would see this aspect of his character.

This is quoted directly from Kaz and explains Kaiba's obsessiveness and his mania when it comes to games which perfectly justifies why he's acting like he does in the movie.

--Would you have referred to Gozuboro and Seto Kaiba's relationship as one between father and son?

To Kaiba, he was a father, but he just wasn't a "typical" father. When he carried out his administration shift, Seto didn't think that Gozaburo would die. Now without a foe due to Gozaburo taking his own life, he slowly started to lose his sanity. He himself felt guilty of committing "patricide." Being an important keyword in this series, the word "patricide" always haunts him. You could say Gozaburo implanted the design that "games equal death" into Seto.

In the beginning, it was simply chess. That was when he won against Gozaburo and became his adopted son. However, Seto's game of chess had extended far beyond just that. The strife within the company had also created a schematic which pitted Seto against Gozaburo as an extension of chess, in the end. Gozuburo then lost and chose death. This would tie in with Kaiba's idea that "games equal death." He even ended up receiving the Penalty Game, Experience of Death, from Yugi, I believe. By doing that, the loser of the game believed that they had to experience certain death. That is what started Seto's manic obsession toward "games" and "death," no doubt. Seto normally battles his father complex. With him just going ahead and dying, he wasn't able to score a complete and utter defeat against his father. However, maybe meeting Yugi shifted his objective. After all, he's the type who couldn't live without a foe he must defeat around for him.
Apr 30, 2016 3:53 PM
Jan 2016
fullmetal212 said:
How long is this movie?

2 hours, 10 minutes
Jul 31, 2016 2:27 AM

Apr 2010
I hate when they change the animation... :/ Don't make one wants to watch t

Oct 25, 2016 11:14 AM

Feb 2013
EfiChan said:

Are you retarded it looks better then ever.
Take off your nostalgia goggles.
Oct 26, 2016 12:24 AM

Apr 2010
Raydnt said:
EfiChan said:

Are you retarded it looks better then ever.
Take off your nostalgia goggles.

I have a right to think whatever. And it has nothing with nostalgia, when I'm getting used to certain art, it's difficult for me to adopt to other style. And who said everything bew is more beautiful. That's your opinion. You can't force it on others

Jan 28, 2017 3:24 PM

Apr 2013
This was the Yu-Gi-Oh movie we should've gotten back in 2004. For a movie technically made for nostalgia purposes, it actually worked out in its favor--and I'm not sure if this is because the dub was fucking amazing. Because it was.

The redesigns were also pretty cool. The CG I think took a dip as the movie went on, but I was impressed by it. I was impressed with just about everything, honestly. This could've easily been a fan-pandering movie kind of like Battle of Gods, but outside of a few little jokes here and there (Joey in the dog suit anyone?), it wasn't. I think that's awesome.
Jan 28, 2017 8:20 PM

Oct 2008
So... the dub of the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie is coming out soon. I saw the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie about a couple of months back subbed and I'm only talking about it now because well, I really needed some time to process it. Honestly, now that I've had some time to think, I can say for certain that I'm not a fan. In fact, that's a huge understatement.

To preface this "review" some pointers:

- There will be SPOILERS. If you haven't seen the movie yet, don't read this review if you don't want to be spoiled. Definitely do come back after to share your opinions. I would love to hear what you guys thought of the movie. Am I in the minority?
- I am perfectly fine with nostalgia bait. The problem is when producers think that a show can succeed based on nostalgia alone.
- I am aware that this is a sequel to the manga and not the anime, accounting for some of the discrepancies. Yet, some of the characters actions were just bizarre, in my opinion.
- Finally, please do not let my opinion of the film ruin your experience with it. This is my personal opinion and my opinion alone.

Alright... Here we go. I do apologize for the stream-of-consciousness ranting. It's like my mind is actively trying to erase the movie from my memories.

First off, it started off well enough, with the reintroduction of the characters and what they were up to after all the time. I particularly liked how they framed the story with Anzu's dream of going to New York. However, that's when things started to go South.

Essentially, to sum all of the problems up into one word, it was contrived... and rushed. Sorry, that was two words. In my opinion, everything that happened in this movie happened because they needed it to happen. They needed new monsters - insert a hundred different variations of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon that had no build-up, reason for existing or proper differentiation (more on this later). They needed a new enemy that had to be related to the cast somehow to make him relevant - shoehorn in some subplot was never hinted at or talked about in the original series so it felt like it came out of nowhere. They needed Atem to appear again and appear he did EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE ANY SENSE!

Urgh... the plot. Don't even get me started. I've already talked about the shoehorned-in villain, but boy does it get better. The plot was unnecessarily convoluted and yet still managed to be contrived and seem like it came out of nowhere. What in the world was with this collective consciousness nonsense? Why is it important and how does it relate to anything? Why was Kaiba's Duel Disk perfectly equipped to combat his powers? Seriously, it could have been anything else and have been much better explained and understandable. How could Kaiba pull out a God Card from the ground and play it with his virtual system?

Speaking of Kaiba, that subplot with his obsession was really at odds with Aigami's plot. There was hardly any correlation. Not to mention, sure he was obsessed with Yugi, but they really pushed his obsession a little too far in this one. Though, I have to admit, that would have been a compelling enough story in and of itself if they had taken their time to expand on it. At the end of the movie, people were actually LAUGHING at his hyperbolic obsession with Atem. Going back in time to duel Atem? Yeah, that's not obsessive at all. Seriously, Javert he is not. Also, Kaiba removing the Millennium Puzzle from the crypt and actually solving it with technology was kinda cool, but it completely ruined the mystique of the items. Wouldn't it have been even cooler if his high-tech machines failed to solve the puzzle?

That climax... Oh God. Remember how I was talking about them introducing new monsters for the sake of it? Well, screw duel tactics and anything of the sort, the ending was just a monster spam that got boring after the 100th "HERE'S A MORE POWERFUL MONSTER THAN YOURS". Seriously, if I have to sit though another Cubic monster and Blue-Eyes iteration that has zero differentiation from one another... This was obviously because they were rushed for time. They had a quota of monsters to push and there was no way they could dedicate 30 minutes to build up a single monster.

Also, the GOD DAMN CG. Why are some monsters like the Black Magician and the Black Magician Girl in normal 2D, simulated-cel animation while many of the other monsters were rendered in 3DCG? Seriously, STICK TO ONE. It's horrendous enough that they used CG, but if they had made ALL the monsters CG, there would have been at least a point! You know, creating a disconnect between the real and the virtual? But no, we can't have our Black Magician Girl be polygons, can we?

This is a perfect example of an unnecessary sequel that was made for the sake of being made. Regardless of what the creator said, I felt zero passion from this project and everything was paint-by-numbers and forced. For a fan, I really don't think I would have missed out if I hadn't seen it. Personally speaking, the ONLY good thing that came out of this was seeing Anzu actually fulfilling her dream. Anzu is adorable. Oh, and the bonus card and goodybag as well. That was pretty good.

Maybe I'm exaggerating. Maybe I just need to calm down and watch it again. And watch it again I will, because as a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, I'm willing to give it another chance. But at this moment, while I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, I am not a fan of this movie.
Jan 29, 2017 12:05 AM

May 2011
Tbh, the plot was something i'd expect from yugioh, but what i should expect is a good blowoff. I woulda loved this movie to death if there was an actual wombo combo to end the villain, but oh well
Jan 29, 2017 11:29 AM
Jan 2017
Actar said:

Urgh... the plot. Don't even get me started. I've already talked about the shoehorned-in villain, but boy does it get better. The plot was unnecessarily convoluted and yet still managed to be contrived and seem like it came out of nowhere. What in the world was with this collective consciousness nonsense? Why is it important and how does it relate to anything? Why was Kaiba's Duel Disk perfectly equipped to combat his powers? Seriously, it could have been anything else and have been much better explained and understandable. How could Kaiba pull out a God Card from the ground and play it with his virtual system?

Speaking of Kaiba, that subplot with his obsession was really at odds with Aigami's plot. There was hardly any correlation. Not to mention, sure he was obsessed with Yugi, but they really pushed his obsession a little too far in this one. Though, I have to admit, that would have been a compelling enough story in and of itself if they had taken their time to expand on it. At the end of the movie, people were actually LAUGHING at his hyperbolic obsession with Atem. Going back in time to duel Atem? Yeah, that's not obsessive at all. Seriously, Javert he is not. Also, Kaiba removing the Millennium Puzzle from the crypt and actually solving it with technology was kinda cool, but it completely ruined the mystique of the items. Wouldn't it have been even cooler if his high-tech machines failed to solve the puzzle?

That climax... Oh God. Remember how I was talking about them introducing new monsters for the sake of it? Well, screw duel tactics and anything of the sort, the ending was just a monster spam that got boring after the 100th "HERE'S A MORE POWERFUL MONSTER THAN YOURS". Seriously, if I have to sit though another Cubic monster and Blue-Eyes iteration that has zero differentiation from one another... This was obviously because they were rushed for time. They had a quota of monsters to push and there was no way they could dedicate 30 minutes to build up a single monster.

Also, the GOD DAMN CG. Why are some monsters like the Black Magician and the Black Magician Girl in normal 2D, simulated-cel animation while many of the other monsters were rendered in 3DCG? Seriously, STICK TO ONE. It's horrendous enough that they used CG, but if they had made ALL the monsters CG, there would have been at least a point! You know, creating a disconnect between the real and the virtual? But no, we can't have our Black Magician Girl be polygons, can we?

Yeah everything was so random and the no-sacrificing cards thing was just not what we're used to. I agree with you on the monster animations. If you're gonna use 3D, might as well make every monster 3D instead of just a few. The main villain was really flat and wasn't badass enough so people just didn't care about him. His story wasn't that bad but it just wasn't enough to make us care. The new duel disc having its own powers was also weird because last time I checked, Kaiba doesn't believe in anything like that so I thought that part didn't make as much sense. As for Kaiba's plot, the only reason why his obsession story couldn't be anymore expanded because there would have been no point for the other story lines since Kaiba already had more screentime than Yugi in the movie. But that makes me question why they just didn't just make this an actual Kaiba spinoff movie if they wanted to focus on him that badly. To hell with the new villain, just make Kaiba the main protagonist in a movie with his name because I would pay to see that.
Jan 29, 2017 3:28 PM

Aug 2010
I actually really enjoyed this film. As a sequel, it wasn't as good as Battle of Gods or Naruto The Last, but even though the plot wasn't amazing, it was great seeing the old cast again.

One reason that I'm glad the manga author came back to do this film's story is because he remembers small details; Tea wanting to be a dancer in New York, Joey's dog suit being brought back, etc.

Kaiba fans should be pleased, not only does he get the most development in this film, but his ego is larger than ever. Seriously, he literally has a speech where he says he thinks he could have designed the universe better than god did. 0_o

But yeah, almost all of Kaiba's lines got cheers and laughter at my showing.

Seeing duels on the big screen is also very fun, though I wish less CGI was used. My only other complaint? I wish Atem had appeared way more, though there was something cool about the way he appears just to one-shot the villain (almost like Goku in the Bojack film)

But yeah. The ending (with Tea saying goodbye to everyone,and the gang graduating) almost got me emotional.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Feb 1, 2017 1:03 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
My god, this was so cheesy but that's one of the few things I love bout the original show. This movie was just a big, cheesy bomb of nostalgia and I enjoyed every second of it. I missed the characters so much and literally throughout the whole film I had the biggest smile on my face. I couldn't wipe it off.

Having all of the original dub cast voicing the characters was like a miracle imo. I felt like a kid again, watching what used to be my favorite anime. It had everything from over the top duel battles to characters dissing one another with hilarious one liners.

9/10 Loved it. Joey also did the face and Tea looks so good in the film.
Feb 2, 2017 5:51 AM

Feb 2010
Movie came out in cinemas in Sydney today... in English dub of course.
Reason why I went to watch it was for nostalgic sake bc of Eric Stuart and Dan Green. And damn, it was a nice cheesy, typical ygo movie lmao

We watched it for enjoyment and not really to criticise; jst to see old characters come back to life, reliving our young days as adults :D i enjoyed it as a whole, would like to watch it again jst bc it's well... yugioh lol 8/10
Feb 4, 2017 2:00 AM

Sep 2014
God tier art (KAgaMI-sama), meh story, dub sounds like a parody, AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL dub soundtrack. The japanese OST for the movie sounded fucking amazing, especially with remixes of tracks like Anger of God and Passionate Duelist, as well as new tracks crafted for the movie. Instead we got cheesy scripts that made it seems like a parody of itself and a forgettable soundtrack
Feb 5, 2017 11:27 AM

Apr 2011
Just watched the dub online today.

I feel this movie should have been a tv serie cuz everything felt too rushed. The story makes no sense, I don't even know why the antagonist is doing what he is doing lol. Does he hate the pharoah or bakura ? I'm confused here.

I wish they expanded more on Shadi's story.
ValaskjalfFeb 5, 2017 11:30 AM
Feb 6, 2017 12:02 PM

Jan 2014
Just finished watching it today in dubbed,it sure does brings back a lot of memories
Seeing Atem and everyone again

They even remixed the opening for the dubbed, it sounds awesome.
Feb 6, 2017 11:47 PM

Oct 2011
that ending with the Pharoah
Tea leaving 😭😭😭
All of Kaiba lines lol XD
Feb 7, 2017 2:42 PM

Jul 2008
It was an enjoyable movie but they really glossed over the mechanics os the duels. Dimensions duels were never really explained and the regular duels were going at a neckbreaking speed. They hardly mentioned their turns, it was monster, traps to more monsters o-o''
Ost wasnt bad, loved that they returned a few dub classics like Kaiba's hacking theme. Also a chime? when Atem showed up, just lovel man..

Anyway, enjoyable but not perfect. No pot of greed T-T Tell me what is does! Its tradition.
Spirits of the light! Wielders of the great power that shines far and wide upon the lands of our world... In my hour of need, grant me the light to banish evil!
Feb 7, 2017 10:42 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Happy to say that I was FINALLY able to watch this movie, and that I watched it the right way (Dubbed)....Hearing all the old VA's, the cheesy stuff and soundtrack was so nostalgic and it made me smile straight through....I missed all these guys so much man

This movie was a perfect reminder as to why Kaiba was always fucking GOAT xDD

The fact that Kaiba didn't use his last trap makes me feel that he let Yugi get the win because of that speech he gave him (Or its just that Shadi's fanboy interrupted his epic comeback) but I laughed so hard when I saw that he went back in time LITERALLY to go and duel the Pharoah....I think that he told himself that Yugi just ain't good enough xDDD

Either way, I loved how this movie managed to tie into the main story without it being a plothole or filler-like but this movie followed the manga apparently (Hence why there was no Pegasus) and I only watched the anime so now I have even more incentive to go and read it since its not related to any of the other anime series/films

Overall, this movie managed to perfectly capture what made this series so great and memorable to me as a kid and give even more closure to these characters and this world and I loved every bit of it

9/10 for me......My only complaint was the pacing, I felt like this movie dragged on a bit too long
Feb 7, 2017 11:33 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
LMAO, sounds to me like you didn't pay much attention....I agree with you about the villain being boring but I'll address the rest of your points

Actar said:
Essentially, to sum all of the problems up into one word, it was contrived... and rushed. Sorry, that was two words. In my opinion, everything that happened in this movie happened because they needed it to happen. They needed new monsters - insert a hundred different variations of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon that had no build-up, reason for existing or proper differentiation (more on this later).
Okay just stop......I dunno where you've been for the last 10 years but this is what the Yugioh franchise does.....As with real life, new cards whether they be alternate skins or variations or just new in general are made to make the game more diverse and competitive (It happens every year and with every new anime). In regards to the narrative, Pegasus is dead, but even if he wasn't, Kaiba Corp is also a technological company that is based around Duel Monsters, so not only is it incredibly nonsensical to think that he wouldn't have a monopoly in the development of the game but him being a pro duelist himself as well as being THE Blue Eyes specialist, it would be even more nonsensical to think that he wouldn't develop them further

And just to remind you, this movie is based on the manga, so GX and everything after it doesn't exist in this Universe, so it all pans out quite fine in regards to the plot because this is a sequel to that specific universe and as we see every year IRL...Technology and just about every other aspect of life advances in some way

Actar said:
They needed a new enemy that had to be related to the cast somehow to make him relevant - shoehorn in some subplot was never hinted at or talked about in the original series so it felt like it came out of nowhere. They needed Atem to appear again and appear he did EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE ANY SENSE
You're knocking the film for bringing in a villain that makes sense in the narrative......And just because it wasn't hinted at or talked about does not make it bad either in fact, the way they tied this is was actually pretty smart BECAUSE it does not take away from the original series in any way and that's because these events were designed to happen ONLY IF the narrative of the original series was done and dusted (Plus Shadi was always spirit-like in the original series and this movie explained how that happened - Basically he WAS a spirit because he died)....Yes that can kind of be considered as shoehorning, but it allowed for proper closure to the story and some character arcs and tied up some loose ends

Actar said:
This is why I said that clearly you didn't pay much attention (Either that or your Japanese sucks). First to clarify why Kaiba didn't disappear, his new Virtual tech was essentially the same thing as the cube whereas whatever Kaiba envisions becomes reality (Hence why he was able to maintain his form and why Joey created people in that other dimension). Secondly, in regards to the god card, the way I see it as that Kaiba's virtual tech coincided with the Dimension World in such a way that he used his Tech to recreate and then via the dimension summon, he was able to bring it back with his will and I believe that this was only possible solely because of their location (The Pharaoh's tomb, which is whether the Millennium Items and the God Cards all got buried)

Actar said:
Speaking of Kaiba, that subplot with his obsession was really at odds with Aigami's plot. There was hardly any correlation.
Facepalm.....I'm guessing you missed the part about how Kaiba wanting to bring back the Pharaoh would subsequently get rid of the Plana thus preventing the kids from making the perfect world that they wanted

[quote=Actar]Not to mention, sure he was obsessed with Yugi, but they really pushed his obsession a little too far in this one. Though, I have to admit, that would have been a compelling enough story in and of itself if they had taken their time to expand on it. At the end of the movie, people were actually LAUGHING at his hyperbolic obsession with Atem. Going back in time to duel Atem? Yeah, that's not obsessive at all.[quote]But that's his character......Kaiba was always that obsessed with beating Yugi/being Number 1 and with Atem gone, what do you expect? Look at Vegeta in DBZ or Sasuke in Naruto......Characters like these are driven by one thing and until they achieve their goal or get some form of closure (Which Kaiba clearly never got) they won't ever stop.....Vegeta admitted that Goku was the best at the end of Z but be that as it may (And I commend him for this), why does that mean that he shouldn't still try to better himself and improve? Why does that mean that he should give up and just roll over? That's not people work, you keep trying and trying until you get it...You never give up and that's Kaiba - This is what you call life lessons....Dont roll over for conformity

Actar said:
Seriously, Javert he is not. Also, Kaiba removing the Millennium Puzzle from the crypt and actually solving it with technology was kinda cool, but it completely ruined the mystique of the items. Wouldn't it have been even cooler if his high-tech machines failed to solve the puzzle?
Yes it would be but that's completely unnecessary solely because of pacing (And this movie was already long enough)

Actar said:
You're bitching about a mechanic that the anime used for most of the first few seasons.....LOL I'm done.....You people got to see Yugi wreck this fool by trapping him in a loop and then watch a series of "I activate my spell/trap card/ability - WHICH BTW WAS PRETTY PREVALENT THROUGHOUT THIS ENTIRE DAMN FIRST SERIES) and then you complain when they use monster spam (DEAD)

Actar said:
Not gonna bother with the obligatory (I hate CGI) comment thats so famous nowadays - This has become such a tired cliche even when the CGI isn't even bad such as in this film, but I have seen it all now that people are bitching that they used it in conjunction with 2D art

Actar said:
This is a perfect example of an unnecessary sequel that was made for the sake of being made. Regardless of what the creator said, I felt zero passion from this project and everything was paint-by-numbers and forced. For a fan, I really don't think I would have missed out if I hadn't seen it. Personally speaking, the ONLY good thing that came out of this was seeing Anzu actually fulfilling her dream. Anzu is adorable. Oh, and the bonus card and goodybag as well. That was pretty good.
That is only true when said sequel adds nothing to the series or if it creates plotholes or anything along those lines and the bolded part is one of the few reasons as to why this film certainly is not what you're accusing it of being

Actar said:
Maybe I'm exaggerating. Maybe I just need to calm down and watch it again. And watch it again I will, because as a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, I'm willing to give it another chance. But at this moment, while I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, I am not a fan of this movie.
Ya think?
Feb 8, 2017 3:36 PM

May 2010
the ending lmfao. he really goes to the afterlife to duel atem. i cant believe this
Mar 11, 2017 5:13 PM

Nov 2013
God, I really liked this movie??? Maybe it's the nostalgia striking because I used to be a huge YGO nerd when I was younger (I read the original manga series through at least 15 times), but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. It didn't even feel as long as two hours for me; that well it did suck me into it.

Of course there were flaws (e.g. the final boss just rushed in like within the last 20 minutes or so and Atem just randomly coming out of nowhere), but hey, not the plot of the source material made sense all the time either.

I'm so happy Ryou got more screentime, not much but DM felt lacking him a lot.
Mar 12, 2017 2:26 PM

Sep 2012
Where was Mai? :( But still a very nice movie with really great resoultion. Happy that I got the limited promo card as well, sadly not everyone received them.
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Mar 13, 2017 2:06 AM

Jan 2016
cool design & graphic. Nice new character Diva/Aigami and the plot around him was cool except that I found the movie bland. Tea, Joy and Bakura had a side role and pretty much did nothing. Tea had only 2 moments with Yugi in the whole movie. She left and we will never see her again at least she’s fullfilling her dream. Atem showed only a few minutes in the whole movie. I know he was supposed to be gone forever and he showed up to save Joy first in his memory and then later Yugi at the end. Ok fine but he didn’t say a word. Kaiba had no scenes with Mokuba at all and he didn’t show any kind of affection toward Mokuba. It felt like Kaiba’s character had been reversed to the Kaiba of S1 eccept for the end scene where he helps Yugi and he “dies” for Atem and Yugi. I didn’t even understand what was this connection Kaiba had with Atem because it wasn’t explained. I didn’t like the end of the movie at all because it had a big cliffhanger and we’ll probably never know how it ends because the author said there wouldn’t be anymore movies.
Mar 14, 2017 6:45 AM

Oct 2011
The movie had plenty of mistakes... but it was so epic & visually & auditorily incredible that I forgive them all - 10/10

Mar 16, 2017 8:21 AM
Jul 2014
Awesome movie, end was EPIC!!!
Mar 19, 2017 7:57 AM
Oct 2011
"Our world is boring, and if the one who created it is working for me, I'd fire him immediately." - Kaiba

Damn.

The movie was a spectacle for the eyes. Also Tea is hotter than usual.

Needs more Mai though.
Mar 20, 2017 9:55 PM

Sep 2015
I don't understand the "new" duel or the story, better if they split the this movie into 2
8k LP rule and why Obelisk even there? need other 2
Alter art some monster card like BM why?

100% about Kaiba love Atem more than anything even Blue Eyes (poor u LOL) and Yugi are not enough
Into the Internet!
Mar 23, 2017 3:28 PM

Sep 2016
8000 HP!
no action cards!
1st turn draw!
simple summon with effects, magic and trap!
new duel disk!
bullshit dimensional duel!
Bakura back story!
Kaiba actually not a punching bag!
Kaiba exaggerated old-school-like seiyuu!
Kaiba's ridiculous technology for children card games!
Kaiba always the most awesome rival character ever, charismatic bastard, his arrogance always went overboard, he is like Jack Atlas with no limiter on his ego. and that duel disk sellout speech lol
variant old monsters with alt.color!
Blue Eyes variants!
Yugi Mutou become competent duelist!
2 hours movie!
good animation!

PogChamp

bonus Jounochin lol

GangsterCatMar 23, 2017 3:34 PM
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 23, 2017 8:04 PM

Jan 2013
Kaiba's ego carried the whole show , loved every second of it

EGO >>>>>>...(infinity)...>>>>>>> EGAO

Hoping that VRAINS is in the same timeline as original yugioh. That VR technology looks like something Kaiba would make.
Mar 28, 2017 8:38 PM

Nov 2011
I can't believe Kaiba created a machine to travel to afterlife to duel Atem. That's some crazy obsession.

Mar 28, 2017 9:41 PM

Jan 2009
I watched the subbed version (which had the dialogue of the dubs pasted as subs), and I gotta say the dialogue in it is far better than the dubbed version's.
There were many scenes where the characters were talking about the plot and the subs were explaining card effects!

It was an average movie to be honest, I liked Bonds Beyond Time a lot better.
Diva wasn't a bad character, but not interesting enough to have an entire movie revolving around him, his story is forgettable, his motives are unclear, and his deck is boring, I didn't like the idea of Dimension duels, also what the heck is wrong with that form near the end!
Kaiba was the only thing I really liked in the movie, he was epic!
Mar 31, 2017 1:00 PM

Dec 2013
Kaiba was fabulous in this movie lmao, he never changes.
It's not supposed to be funny but I legit facepalmed and laughed real hard when he went to Atem's dimension just to duel him.

I really liked this movie, lots of nostalgic soundtracks and fun duels

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Apr 11, 2017 6:24 AM

Dec 2015
It's been quite some time since last I watched YuGiOh, and I gotta say the asspulls in this movie were something else. The fact that it took me 3 days to finish a 2 hour movie I think says enough about my opinion regarding this movie. Also since it was a movie I expected all the monsters to be 2D instead of CG garbage, which decreased my enjoyment by quite a bit.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 12, 2017 9:48 PM
Dec 2015
KaiserNazrin said:
I can't believe Kaiba created a machine to travel to afterlife to duel Atem. That's some crazy obsession.

I agree. Although, It might be the Other World aka After Life, the past, or parallel universe. I liked they still use the original animations and enhance it with a movie budget like the Dragonball movies unlike Digimon Tri.
voidepressionApr 13, 2017 6:30 AM
Apr 13, 2017 7:09 PM

Jun 2011
A little bit disappointed honestly, it felt like one big fuck fest.
Despite the movie being two hours long, it still wasn't long enough to cover barely anything.
I felt that it was such a waste to have Aigami as the main villain when we barely even got to know the guy, everything felt so forced, and I just didn't like it.
I felt the movie would have done much better if Aigami wasn't there and it was just a movie about Kaiba obsessing over the return of the Pharoh.
Apr 18, 2017 10:05 PM
Dec 2015
Rayla said:
A little bit disappointed honestly, it felt like one big fuck fest.
Despite the movie being two hours long, it still wasn't long enough to cover barely anything.
I felt that it was such a waste to have Aigami as the main villain when we barely even got to know the guy, everything felt so forced, and I just didn't like it.
I felt the movie would have done much better if Aigami wasn't there and it was just a movie about Kaiba obsessing over the return of the Pharoh.

They needed someone else to kick Kaiba's ass since the author hated him. At least Yugi get to show off his dueling skills and courage. However, I don't think they'll make another movie to follow up upon the cliffhanger. So Many Blue Eyes!
Apr 19, 2017 5:29 AM

Dec 2014
I enjoyed the movie, the nostalgia is always welcome but sometimes the duels and the plot felt a little nonsensical or rather they were trying to make it too complex or something? Ultimately, Kaiba carried this movie hard.

Aigami wasn't really an interesting villain, hell I think Yami Bakura would have been much better if they were planning on using the Millennium Ring. XD

Though to be honest, while the plot feels a little nonsensical I was able to understand what the conflict was about and what the Prana wanted. Even the whole explanation about dimensions and collective conscious especially during the Joey segments, not that I didn't understand it, on the contrary I actually found the whole collective conscious thing pretty philosophical but it felt a little too ambitious for a Children's Card Game. (I have been totally spoiled by the abridged series. XDD) XD . I guess my gripe is not with the plot in itself but in the fact that the antagonist Aigami was far too bland when they were trying to have an ambitious plot make sense through Card Games in Dimensions. Yes, we have Card Games in Dimensions now. XD Aigami's motivations and distorted view on the world just don't seem all that believable to me especially when all his comrades aren't nearly as warped as him.

Also +1 for 8000 LP Duels, Like FINALLY. XD

I didn't like the dimensions duels, they felt like asspulls since they didn't want to waste time in getting the stronger monsters to the field. They also did not explain the duels well enough, the duelists often lost LP like way way too quickly and at times I wasn't able to follow the battle phase properly. Like what the hell is with those chaos monsters that keep attacking, deforming and once again special summoning, they don't even return to the graveyard, couldn't he like summon them infinite times then? The effects of those monsters were seriously not explained properly and at times I just had to go along with what happened.

So many new Blue Eyes Variants :O , I sure have been away from Yugioh for a long time. XD
The CG monsters weren't really all that bad though.

Dark Magician Girl <3 , I'm so glad we got see her not once but twice. XD

My favorite parts of the movie where, Yugi's infinite Loop trap, Kaiba's insane speech and Atem's final appearance. That was epic beyond measure.
Favorite duel was surprisingly Atem vs Kaiba in his memory, that was great since it didn't have any of the crappy dimensional duel stuff. Yugi vs Kaiba was also good since they stuck to the original rules.

ALSO PASSIONATE DUELIST FTW, that music is just awesome beyond words.
7/10, felt the movie could've been a lot of better if they stuck to their roots.
Apr 25, 2017 4:16 PM

Jun 2012
I enjoyed it well, the animations were dazzling!! There's no Pot of Greed every duel, I wasn't able to predict any winning draw this time. I wish they had included the return of Black Luster Soldier and Chaos Emperor Dragon for Kaiba and Yugi's Duel.

That Vjam card was too OP, or does the dimension summon makes it so? Diva was not a good antagonist if not for his deck.

And my favorite part of the film is Kaiba's speech and the Tormentor's entrance.

6/10
May 17, 2017 8:13 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I really liked the backstory to the millennium items and in general Shadi and Bakura. I always wondered why certain items behaved in a malicious way but I suppose their purpose was essentially that. A balance between good and evil.

Nice to see Magician Girl variants along with the Blue Eyes too. I like Apple Magician Girl a bit more than the vintage Dark MG.

In general Yugi did pretty well in the new type of dueling system, although I was pretty lost since I thought you could only summon 1 monster per turn.That Aigami had Yugi down to like 2000 LP in just one turn, very fast paced duel imo.

I don't blame Kaiba for wanting to duel Atem again. He always viewed Atem as his rival and he never got the chance to beat him in a satisfying way he would have wanted. That ending where he says "You have your bond with him, I have mine", that was so cool of him. Great to see him have a smile.

Tea <3

Overall it was a nice enjoyable movie, I liked the backstory more to be honest. 7/10

Jun 1, 2017 6:46 PM
Mar 2012
It has problems, but the fanservice was enough to make me overlook everything.

First off, the art is fucking gorgeous! But it was all the references to the source material that stole the show. The dog suit, Joey's face, MOTHERFUCKING KAIBA HACKING THEME, it was too good.

And even the dub's cheesy humor is intact, with Kaiba having many great lines here, as well as the jokes about Bakura's accent xD
Jun 2, 2017 10:46 AM

Feb 2013
It's not a monster, it's a GOD, Kaiba you are so right and so awesome!
Too bad that we didn't see the Yami Yugi vs Kaiba duel, right when he reached him the movie ended, damn it!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I blame this stupid film for the CGI crap i watched 2 hours

Phasar2022 - Aug 2, 2021

8 by HikarieChan »»
Apr 17, 2023 12:24 PM

» i really enjoyed it as a fan of yugioh

audac1ous - Feb 6, 2017

1 by HikarieChan »»
Apr 17, 2023 12:22 PM

» I really want a sequel series of the Classic yu-gi-oh

Pac99 - Feb 4, 2022

8 by HikarieChan »»
Apr 16, 2023 7:17 PM

» How do you feel about Atem's well-defined biceps and Kaiba's new rippling abs?

Dull_Lull - Feb 13, 2020

8 by Early_Morning »»
Feb 6, 2022 12:49 PM

» Can I watch this if I’ve only ever seen the series as a kodomo (child)?

NaturalPerm - Apr 20, 2021

6 by NaturalPerm »»
Apr 25, 2021 3:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.