Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2015 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this was a bit of an interesting episode.

We meet more characters and there's more relationship building. However, I will say that the interesting parts came from Ainz's ability to associate with others. Not only that but I like how he is so collected.

Not too much action this episode but still kinda interesting.
Stark700Aug 4, 2015 7:26 AM
Aug 4, 2015 7:30 AM

Oct 2013
NARBERAL! CLEMENTINE!

*clearing my throat*

Anyway, no action but definitely more movement on the plot aspect. Clementine's freaky. Why's she so smug?

I can already hear the "Boring, dropped" screams about the episode though.
OpalMidgeAug 4, 2015 7:39 AM
Aug 4, 2015 7:36 AM

Jun 2013
LOL!!!! ALBEDO IS HILARIOUS!!! MOMOGA DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO TREAT HER!!! XD Damn her Reasoning is Freaking Hilarious!
Tough her And Shalltear's Cat-Fighting is coming Close Second.

...Ah...Momoga is showing that even disguise of "Copper Ranked" Adventurer..he is not to be underestimated...those Adventures better be thankful that Momoga did not allow his Soldier Maid to slaughter them!!! well he already showed personally that he is stronger than them.

Aw, it is these Guys...X) I like them...
T.T
Damn that Nabe...She is quite cold Towards humans...She is Cool...but I am getting annoyed Nazarik's people supreme thinking towards humans.

Things are moving towards action and someones are plotting in Cemetery! Good episode

And Crazy Bitch just Arrived
JarjaxleAug 4, 2015 9:43 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Aug 4, 2015 8:00 AM

Apr 2009
Back to being boring again.
Aug 4, 2015 8:04 AM

Apr 2014
those two really want some papa bone how amuse :3
Aug 4, 2015 8:05 AM

Mar 2014
OpalMidge said:
I can already hear the "Boring, dropped" screams about the episode though.
Ayy you nailed it.
Amarrez said:
Back to being boring again.
Aug 4, 2015 8:07 AM

Apr 2009
Lack of action didn't make it boring. Being boring did.
Aug 4, 2015 8:07 AM

Mar 2014
Amarrez said:
Might telling what exactly made it boring then?
Aug 4, 2015 8:10 AM

Apr 2009
DesuTronic said:
Amarrez said:

15 minutes of talking heads around a boardroom, most of it explaining stuff I already know will be explained again later on.

Actually, my favourite part was when they left the boardroom, then Enfrea came in and they actually went back to the boardroom to talk some more.

Madhouse has talented directors and animators, it wouldn't kill them to actually adapt the story to screen instead of just reading the light novel aloud over stills of Ainz's helmet.
Aug 4, 2015 8:13 AM

Apr 2008
Amarrez said:
DesuTronic said:

15 minutes of talking heads around a boardroom, most of it explaining stuff I already know will be explained again later on.

Actually, my favourite part was when they left the boardroom, then Enfrea came in and they actually went back to the boardroom to talk some more.

Madhouse has talented directors and animators, it wouldn't kill them to actually adapt the story to screen instead of just reading the light novel aloud over stills of Ainz's helmet.

Or maybe you should do something about that action addiction of yours.
Aug 4, 2015 8:13 AM

Mar 2014
Amarrez said:
DesuTronic said:

So you lied in the first part about the lack of action not making it boring. Or are you saying that if instead of the 15 minutes of boardroom talking would have been replaced with a trip to an amusement park this episode would not have been boring? If yes to that then why are you even watching this show if not for the seriousness of it.?
Aug 4, 2015 8:15 AM

Oct 2013
Complaints when the adaptation changes drastically from the source, complaints when it goes the way the source intended it to.

Honestly, there's probably a middle ground there but if the studio doesn't feel confident enough to attempt it, I'd rather they go with the way the source goes.

That being said, there's just no winning or running away from the complaints, huh?
Aug 4, 2015 8:18 AM

Mar 2014
OpalMidge said:
Complaints when the adaptation changes drastically from the source, complaints when it goes the way the source intended it to.

Honestly, there's probably a middle ground there but if the studio doesn't feel confident enough to attempt it, I'd rather they go with the way the source goes.

That being said, there's just no winning or running away from the complaints, huh?

There is never a way without complaints. Best thing to do is go the way with the least amount of complaints.
Aug 4, 2015 8:19 AM

Apr 2009
DesuTronic said:
Amarrez said:

So you lied in the first part about the lack of action not making it boring. Or are you saying that if instead of the 15 minutes of boardroom talking would have been replaced with a trip to an amusement park this episode would not have been boring? If yes to that then why are you even watching this show if not for the seriousness of it.?

Good god.

The ending of the episode where Clementine and Khajiit talked was adapted well, good shots, atmosphere and some fun animation with Clementine's facials. The scenes at the adventurer's guild were flat, boring and barely animated. And also super mundane with things like each of the party members explaining their role in the group when we're going to see what their role in the group is when they fight literally at the beginning of next episode.

What works well in a light novel isn't essentially going to work well for an animated medium, this isn't crazy.
Aug 4, 2015 8:39 AM

Apr 2008
DesuTronic said:
OpalMidge said:

There is never a way without complaints. Best thing to do is go the way with the least amount of complaints.

Agreed. Way too many adaptations ruined by the studio taking too many liberties
Aug 4, 2015 9:02 AM

Jul 2015
A lot more atmospheric than before.

Gotta appreciate the Celtic-style bar music as always.
Aug 4, 2015 9:02 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Felt a bit different from the last two episodes but I still enjoyed it a lot. 20 minutes still went by in a flash
Aug 4, 2015 9:07 AM

Apr 2014
only two episode left to determind if this season will cover up to
Aug 4, 2015 9:10 AM

Aug 2014
Can't wait for the next few episodes, urgh. Many of the things were adapted well IMO.
Narbe is more adorable than I imagined!

Edit:
Best scene gif!
GrisailleAug 4, 2015 9:57 AM
Your taste in Anime is shit.

Because you can't differentiate between what's good and bad.

How sad.
Aug 4, 2015 9:11 AM

Jan 2012
So wait...was the old dude at the end another player from Ygdrasil? Anyway very interesting episode, left me wanting to watch the next one right away.
Aug 4, 2015 9:18 AM

Jul 2014
There are still people watching this calling it boring? Why the flip wouldn't you drop it until now? You adorable creature.
Aug 4, 2015 9:21 AM
Nov 2012
animefan8800 said:
So wait...was the old dude at the end another player from Ygdrasil? Anyway very interesting episode, left me wanting to watch the next one right away.
Nah he wasn't. A decent ep overall, as for why Clementine wanted to escape is because she's being chased by the Windflower Scripture.
Aug 4, 2015 9:21 AM

Apr 2009
Arcanix said:
There are still people watching this calling it boring? Why the flip wouldn't you drop it until now? You adorable creature.

It's cute that you get this upset when someone suggests that this episode could have been much better.

Why the flip

Really cute

Though maybe it makes sense if you consider what Madhouse are working on this season that Overlord isn't getting a particularly great adaptation.
Aug 4, 2015 9:22 AM

Oct 2011
Anime is dangerously close to the manga. Manga was only 7 chapters and by the end of this episode we are on chapter 5.

Apr 2014
Pretty interesting episode

Not much action though

Overall I enjoyed this episode and can't wait for next week

Feb 2015

Albedo vs Shalltear is always entertaining to watch.
I'm just loving Albedo's crazy expressions.

Kinda wished they showed Ainz's face here.

SchwingBonerAug 4, 2015 9:26 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2015 9:23 AM

Jun 2014
So I'm guessing Balear will be kidnapped by the strange women with the magic item which can't be used by regular people.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 4, 2015 9:24 AM
Dec 2013
LOved the ep! Want more explanation of the combat maids. And I think the ep was a little too slow paced but still really great. Albedo and Shalltear talkign was my fave part. Narberal is good-looking!
Aug 4, 2015 9:27 AM

Oct 2013
SchwingBoner said:

How much do you want to bet that it was his face in real life?

Gov said:
Anime is dangerously close to the manga. Manga was only 7 chapters and by the end of this episode we are on chapter 5.

The LNs have 9 volumes and counting. The anime is based on the LN, not the manga.
Aug 4, 2015 9:31 AM

Oct 2013
I guess this is to be expected for the 5th episode, but it is still a shame. I cant wait now for next week already. Overlord has been my favorite anime of the season thus far.
Aug 4, 2015 9:31 AM

Oct 2011
OpalMidge said:
SchwingBoner said:

How much do you want to bet that it was his face in real life?

Gov said:

The LNs have 9 volumes and counting. The anime is based on the LN, not the manga.

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up.
Aug 4, 2015 9:38 AM

Jul 2012
ahh madhouse XD

Aug 4, 2015 9:39 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Very dialogue heavy episode this was but I freaking loved every bit of it

This episode did a very good job showcasing every day aspects of MMO life such as guilds, quests, currency and just everyday interactions between player characters as well as rankings etc

I love how Ainz is taking on yet again another persona and I find his female companion to be quiet lovely too especially since she looks to be very skilled as well....Finding out about these people born with special abilities was pretty interesting as well and I hope to learn more about them and see new ones

The characters introduced in this episode were all really likable too so that's a good thing but man that girl at the end is psychotic lol....I'd love to see her stack up against Shaltear and Best Girl Albedo whom also had another great psycho moment together in this episode xD Momonga needs to just suck it up and bang both of them lol

Overall, great episode and I'm looking forward to seeing Ainz and co. go on this quest
TokoyaAug 4, 2015 9:48 AM
Aug 4, 2015 9:44 AM

Jul 2014
Could have done without that exchange between Albedo and Shaltear at the start, as it's the worst stuff this show has and it's already been done before. Other than that, this episode was definitely slow, but it is clearly setting up another arc, so that can be forgiven. It was nice how it demonstrated typical MMO aspects while also bulding up the lore with that segment on the potions (another interesting reflection on how this new world is different from Yggdrasil). The most interesting part of the episode was the bit with the secret society at the end of the episode. It'll be interesting to see what the show does with them.
Aug 4, 2015 9:47 AM
Jul 2015
Gov said:
base for the lightnovel not manga
Aug 4, 2015 9:49 AM
Aug 2008
huh what a boring presentation. its more like a slideshows than video.

saving budget and development time for future episode?
Aug 4, 2015 9:52 AM
Nov 2012
orangpelupa said:

Mostly for One Punch Man
Aug 4, 2015 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
It was an alright episode.

Ains and Albebo are doing a quest with a group of adventures.
Aug 4, 2015 9:55 AM

Apr 2008
Tohka_Yatogami said:
It was an alright episode.

Ains and Albebo are doing a quest with a group of adventures.

That was Narberal not Albedo
Aug 4, 2015 9:55 AM

Jan 2011
aznsensation801 said:
ahh madhouse XD

Liking Nabe a lot. That Momon-saaaaaaa...n
Wanted to see Ainz's face though.

Definitely hired him cos of the red potion.
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Aug 4, 2015 9:58 AM
Aug 2008
ggYeti said:
orangpelupa said:

Mostly for One Punch Man

hmm, isnt there usually different team for a studio to work on multiple projects at the same time?
Aug 4, 2015 10:02 AM

Apr 2008
Annuvin said:

*rolls eyes*
I still can't get over these spells/commands. It's not as apparent in the novels but here... uhh, just no, please.
In the first place, if the supposed mmo was Japanese why on earth would the commands be English. That's definitely not the case with most of the games I played.

Because the writer is a super fan of D&D. Get over it
Aug 4, 2015 10:05 AM
Aug 2008
Annuvin said:

*rolls eyes*
I still can't get over these spells/commands. It's not as apparent in the novels but here... uhh, just no, please.
In the first place, if the supposed mmo was Japanese why on earth would the commands be English. That's definitely not the case with most of the games I played.

destiny in Japanese use lots of English katakana. dunno with other games
Aug 4, 2015 10:07 AM
Nov 2012
orangpelupa said:

hmm, isnt there usually different team for a studio to work on multiple projects at the same time?
I suppose so and the budget for both projects probably is not the same.
Aug 4, 2015 10:08 AM

Aug 2014
I feel like the plot is all over the place.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Aug 4, 2015 10:10 AM

Apr 2014
I would say 3/4 of the episode is meh...until 1/4 of the end of the episode.
Narberal look so much better from the manga version...and her personality is awesome as well.
It's going to be a fun ride from here on out...I hope.
Aug 4, 2015 10:12 AM

Sep 2013
Ainz: "Narberal , what make you of the pacing haters?"

Narberal:

Ainz giving away items like they're candy XD
He must have thousands.
I think Clementine needs a hug :)

next week: the hamster from the op song arrives :)

orangpelupa said:
its more like a slideshows than video.

Reminds of the berserk anime XD
"budget" they have to work with what their given.
Aug 4, 2015 10:13 AM

Feb 2014
Nabe is great! Definitely looking forward to seeing her in action!
And looks like Momonga made a mistake on giving her that potion, that raised some suspicion on him.
Aug 4, 2015 10:18 AM
May 2015
Someone pls get me a gif of narberal being smacked, her reaction was the best...pls
Aug 4, 2015 10:26 AM

Jan 2012
Albedo and Nabe are just too hilarious xD

Momonga could actually get rich with his potions lol
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.