Forum Settings
Forums

Why do some people get really excited and passionate about

New
Jun 30, 2015 10:35 PM
Dec 2013
i like "deep" anime too, but i can't answer this question myself, do you have any opinion? and why do people who like "deep anime" often associated as a cool person, i don't get it, i don't think watching certain anime make you cool person
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 30, 2015 10:38 PM
Dec 2013
also wondering why "deep anime" didn't show in the title,
Jun 30, 2015 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe because it isn't generic trash? Having some decent taste in anime is always good.
Jun 30, 2015 10:42 PM

Sep 2013
It's like comparing classic literature to a superman comic, there's an obvious level of quality, but people these days hate anything that makes you think even a little bit.
Jun 30, 2015 10:45 PM

Aug 2013
Really? After browsing the AD board for some time, I rarely see anyone regarded as cool because they like "deep anime". Instead they usually just get called "pretentious" or "2deep4me". Lol

OT: Watching "deep stuff" is fun because it makes your mind explode :)
Jun 30, 2015 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
cuz it's not generic as you expected
Jun 30, 2015 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
Firelilyx said:
Really? After browsing the AD board for some time, I rarely see anyone regarded as cool because they like "deep anime". Instead they usually just get called "pretentious" or "2deep4me". Lol

I've never been called pretentious or 2deep4me and I like Ikuhara anime. Granted, I think Ikuni is popular but his shows are definitely on the "deep" side.

I think it just has to do with the attitude people have.
Jun 30, 2015 10:56 PM
Dec 2013
Firelilyx said:

OT: Watching "deep stuff" is fun because it makes your mind explode :)

well, i usually get called pretentious too, but whatever. i mean people who watch deep anime usually consindering himself as a cool person sometimes intellectual person,
Jun 30, 2015 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
lustylady said:
people who watch deep anime usually consindering himself as a cool person sometimes intellectual person,

That's why they get called 'pretentious'.
Jun 30, 2015 11:01 PM

May 2012
I have never seen this. You can have good taste in anime but still be a pos.
Jun 30, 2015 11:12 PM

Aug 2013
DrCoppelius said:
Firelilyx said:

I've never been called pretentious or 2deep4me and I like Ikuhara anime. Granted, I think Ikuni is popular but his shows are definitely on the "deep" side.

I think it just has to do with the attitude people have.
Well, I kind of exaggerated a bit on specific people getting called out for being "pretentious". But, it seems like whenever the topic of "deep" or "mature" anime is brought up, some people get very passive aggressive and start throwing out words/phrases like "pretentious", "2deep4me", "elitists", "trying too hard", etc. Especially when someone says "x" anime is deep or w/e.
Jun 30, 2015 11:24 PM

Jan 2015
Firelilyx said:
Well, I kind of exaggerated a bit on specific people getting called out for being "pretentious". But, it seems like whenever the topic of "deep" or "mature" anime is brought up, some people get very passive aggressive and start throwing out words/phrases like "pretentious", "2deep4me", "elitists", "trying too hard", etc. Especially when someone says "x" anime is deep or w/e.
3 reasons in my observation;

1) Most who does not agree that x is not deep are shounen fans who are fond of liking Naruto, SAO, AoT, etc.
2) Trolls who like to bait people
3) They are just joking
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jun 30, 2015 11:26 PM

Mar 2015
ask elitest.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 30, 2015 11:56 PM

Mar 2014
Dunno. I've always just watched what I felt like~

Which is of course, mostly trash~
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Jun 30, 2015 11:57 PM

Jan 2015
ichii_1 said:
It's like comparing classic literature to a superman comic, there's an obvious level of quality, but people these days hate anything that makes you think even a little bit.
You mean bleach
Signature removed. Please check your inbox
Jul 1, 2015 12:21 AM

Jun 2014
TheGreatTiteKubo said:
ichii_1 said:
You mean bleach

Aye mate, you're one of the 5% of readers that actually understands Kubo's way of writing as stated by the man himself.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jul 1, 2015 1:02 AM

Sep 2014
What I find funny is how people associate 'deep' with 'good'. As if being deep made anime better by itself.
Jul 1, 2015 2:04 AM

Dec 2012
What is deep anime?

I feel like 'deep' is as pointless and meaningless as 'mature', 'edgy', 'pretentious'. Due to how they are used.
Jul 1, 2015 2:12 AM

Oct 2010
Naisto said:
Maybe because it isn't generic trash? Having some decent taste in anime is always good.

How many iterations of a concept do you need to be done to consider it "generic"? Back up your buzzwords, please.
Jul 1, 2015 2:17 AM

Sep 2014
tsudecimo said:
What is deep anime?

I feel like 'deep' is as pointless and meaningless as 'mature', 'edgy', 'pretentious'. Due to how they are used.

That's true as well, people seem to mistake 'deep' for 'smart', and really overuse the word.
Jul 1, 2015 2:19 AM

Jan 2015
It's like winning the lottery. You found THE ticket. There's plenty of anime series to keep you busy watching, but there are those "few" that stand out from the rest.
Jul 1, 2015 2:24 AM

Mar 2013
Imaishi said:
tsudecimo said:
What is deep anime?

That's true as well, people seem to mistake 'deep' for 'smart', and really overuse the word.

Enlighten me on the meaning of those words. Is deep emotionality and such that can be applied to Angel Beats while smart could be applied to errr....*zero anime comes to mind.

You know what I mean.
Jul 1, 2015 4:40 AM

May 2015
Imaishi said:
What I find funny is how people associate 'deep' with 'good'. As if being deep made anime better by itself.

'Deep' is a desirable quality, like 'entertaining'. That said, just because an anime tries to be deep doesn't mean it is. Failing to be deep, especially when the show just pretends is awful.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 1, 2015 4:49 AM
Feb 2014
I feel your pain too bruh
Jul 1, 2015 5:38 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Imaishi said:

'Deep' is a desirable quality, like 'entertaining'.

Not really. Being deep is just a characteristic, not a merit, not in a sense that not being deep is a flaw. All anime aim to entertain, while most don't aim (and shouldn't) to be deep.
ImaishiJul 1, 2015 5:53 AM
Jul 1, 2015 5:59 AM

Nov 2014
Tbh the only time i read the word "deep" here in MAL is when someone says "2deep4u" or similars, no one takes that adjective seriously.
Jul 1, 2015 6:03 AM

Nov 2012
Hulohot said:
Tbh the only time i read the word "deep" here in MAL is when someone says "2deep4u" or similars, no one takes that adjective seriously.

Jul 1, 2015 6:14 AM

Feb 2015
I gets really excited and passionate if its a hentai series.
Jul 1, 2015 6:42 AM

Jun 2014
Imaishi said:
tsudecimo said:
What is deep anime?

They are similar though. "Deep"" anime go beyond what meets the eye, so they force you to use your critical thinking.
Jul 1, 2015 7:33 AM

Dec 2013
Sounds like your trying to justify your own shit tatste.
Jul 1, 2015 7:47 AM

Jun 2015
Imagine this.

There's one thing that made you feel stuff, like really feel something. Be it anger or hate red or sadness or whatever.
Now there's another thing, this thing gave you the amount of feels a rock get when someone walks past it (That's very, very, low feels, btw).

Which one would you remember and talk about and defend/trash more passionately?

This is a question with a really obvious question you know. You can do better, OP.
-_-
Jul 1, 2015 9:36 AM

Sep 2013
FireEmblemIke24 said:
TheGreatTiteKubo said:
You mean bleach

Aye mate, you're one of the 5% of readers that actually understands Kubo's way of writing as stated by the man himself.

I didn't say bleach specifically now did I? :(
But I'll have you know that Kubo is a huge Shakespeare fan, and it shows in his poems and dialogue which is top quality and would not even lose to the likes of Baudelaire.
Jul 1, 2015 10:51 AM

May 2015
Imaishi said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

'Deep' is a desirable quality, like 'entertaining'.

Not really. Being deep is just a characteristic, not a merit, not in a sense that not being deep is a flaw. All anime aim to entertain, while most don't aim (and shouldn't) to be deep.

None of us bothered to define deep, which kind of ruins this discussion.

I'll define 'deep' is trying to say something serious about life, or some other big topic. A 'deep' anime or novel or movie tries to equal philosophy essay.

What's your definition?
Jul 1, 2015 11:33 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Imaishi said:

I'll define 'deep' is trying to say something serious about life, or some other big topic. A 'deep' anime or novel or movie tries to equal philosophy essay.

What's your definition?

I would say it's simply a novel/anime/whatever that has more to it than the surface, moves some serious topic or gets some message across, something you shouldn't take at face value.

But it doesn't really matter which definition we use.
It's just not always a desirable quality, sometimes the opposite even.
Depends on the genre and what the show wants to do. For example Black Lagoon. It's a simple, very entertaining action show. I don't want any serious topic and philosophy brought up there. It wouldn't make anything better, quite the opposite, it would only make it worse.
Jul 1, 2015 12:10 PM

May 2013
Several people have confirmed that I have elite taste. I am still waiting to get invited to the cool kidz club though.
Jul 1, 2015 12:14 PM

Jan 2014
Naisto said:
Jul 1, 2015 12:32 PM

Aug 2014
Don't care about that stuff, don't care about the labels and shit and you're good to go.
Immerse yourself in the anime, enjoy the content as it is and it's very execution. And have people refrain from spouting shit like (SEL and Tex) the labeled 2deep4u stuff not really being "enjoyable" from a subjective standpoint.

Nothing has to necessarily result in something else or mean something by watching certain anime and what not, so labeling and generalization shouldn't be something people should even think about.
Jul 1, 2015 1:29 PM

Nov 2008
When it doesn't have substance to it, it's just kinda...forgettable.

Jul 2, 2015 2:34 PM

May 2015
Imaishi said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

What's your definition?

I would say it's simply a novel/anime/whatever that has more to it than the surface, moves some serious topic or gets some message across, something you shouldn't take at face value.

But it doesn't really matter which definition we use.
It's just not always a desirable quality, sometimes the opposite even.
Depends on the genre and what the show wants to do. For example Black Lagoon. It's a simple, very entertaining action show. I don't want any serious topic and philosophy brought up there. It wouldn't make anything better, quite the opposite, it would only make it worse.

It's important we'll know what the words we're using means. Else we're talking about nothing.

I see your point and I kind of agree. I'd say adding this depth (what you defined) to a series that has a fun tone to it causes a clash.

A show needs to know what it's doing - is it trying to say something profound or is it just want to have a good time? When a series doesn't know what it wants and half-heartedly does either, you're getting crap.
Jul 2, 2015 2:42 PM

Oct 2014
A deep and well planned out story that don't leave breadcrumbs large enough that pre-teens can follow it.

Character development that unravels like a real life connection.

A well crafted world that has mystery in it after the anime has finished and that makes you want to read the lore.
Jul 2, 2015 5:25 PM

Dec 2012
It's because people treasure things that are rare and unique, like depth, because they don't come around too often.
KruszerJul 2, 2015 6:21 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jul 2, 2015 5:57 PM

Jan 2012
I guess something like Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! don't come often in their lives that's why most people seems to treasure it.
---
Jul 2, 2015 6:26 PM

Dec 2012
NK_500 said:
I guess something like Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! don't come often in their lives that's why most people seems to treasure it.

Haven't seen it, so I can't say. In case this was directed at my post, I was implying that the rare and unique thing is specifically in this case, depth.
KruszerJul 2, 2015 6:33 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jul 2, 2015 6:50 PM
Oct 2012
lustylady said:
well, i usually get called pretentious too, but whatever. i mean people who watch deep anime usually consindering himself as a cool person sometimes intellectual person,

I think you need to split the hair there. Are there pretentious people who like anything because it is "deep"? Absolutely. ANN reviewers were loaded with them (haven't been there in 2 years so it may have changed, though I doubt it).

But people also get passionate about things they like, and "deep" shows do tend to be more interesting than generic shows (not always or even vastly though), so it is only commonsense that someone would get excited by a show that interests them (source: me)

The way to differentiate between the two is simple.
First, the posers will like ANY show they think is deep,
Second, they will dump on shows just because they are popular.
Third, when they try to explain why they like the show they will talk about depth generally, not specifically, so when you press them their argument will be reduced to a tautology: I like it because it is deep, it is deep because I like it.

The fan who likes it because it is interesting can go on, at great depth, about what specifically they like about the show (again, source: me).
Jul 2, 2015 7:52 PM

Sep 2014
Zergneedsfood said:
Why not just ask why people get excited and passionate about anything?

What a stupid thread.
Jul 2, 2015 8:14 PM
Dec 2013
Zergneedsfood said:
Why not just ask why people get excited and passionate about anything?

What a stupid thread.

well, sorry for the stupid thread, because i'm stupid person. i just want to asking something, thats what stupid people do. sorry if i can't make a smart thread.
Jul 3, 2015 5:31 AM
Jun 2015
There are a lot of bad anime in any given year which could be why some people find a sense of superiority when they find an anime worth watching. The "deep" anime usually have above average plot development and avoid relying too much on anime tropes. Most anime end as a cliff hanger to buy the manga, falls apart in the second half, the characters do stupid things for the sake of the plot, bad fan service, random harems, etc. When people find an anime that has barely any of those things listed, they probably found a good anime that is worth showing to someone that is not an Otaku.
Jul 3, 2015 5:34 AM

Apr 2014
Because they like to go deep in everything!! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 3, 2015 5:40 AM

Mar 2013
Serial Experiments Lain has great art, but come on, it has no real plotline
Jul 3, 2015 5:47 AM

May 2013
Riki_Oh said:
Serial Experiments Lain has great art, but come on, it has no real plotline

Give me a list of literary fiction that are plot-driven.
Oh wait, there are none.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Least Favorite Characters

Jackof-allspades - 5 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
1 minute ago

» Anime fans ,how do u feel about slice of life anime??? ( 1 2 )

Animystics - Jun 14

52 by TheL_cuhh »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - 8 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - Yesterday

19 by mshfqtny »»
5 minutes ago

» Was there a recent recounting of character favorites?

asureiwong - 9 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.