Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is e-sports a sport?
Jan 24, 2015 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Why or why not? 0:
According to Wikipedia, e-sports is a term for organised video game competitions, especially between professionals. The most common video game genres associated with electronic sports are real-time strategy, fighting, first-person shooter, and multiplayer online battle arena.
removed-userJan 24, 2015 3:25 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 24, 2015 3:19 PM

Jul 2012
You need a better poll. lol
Jan 24, 2015 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
According to Google, sports are things that require physical exhertion and skill and involve competition. While the physical exhertion part of it is questionable, I do believe e-sports require skill and they certainly are very competitive, so much so that great amounts of money are involved. I'd say that yea, they are sports.
Jan 24, 2015 3:20 PM
Dec 2010
Sure, they show dedication that athletics show to their sport so why not. The problem I have with e-sport is that it sort of glorifies playing games in general. People think they can be on their level if they play enough, so they waste more time on it. Oh and it has brought a lot of people wanting to be streamers as well, more or less. People need to get down to reality.
Jan 24, 2015 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
Pls no judge my poll MAL is trolling me T _ T
Jan 24, 2015 3:24 PM

Jan 2013
What are e sports
Jan 24, 2015 3:27 PM

Jun 2014
No. Playing video games is not a sport, same as a bunch of people sitting down, staring at TVs watching Anime in an arena wouldn't be a sport.

Jan 24, 2015 3:30 PM
Mar 2013
No. It's just pathetic people trying to make their shitty hobby out to be something socially acceptable.
Jan 24, 2015 3:31 PM

Apr 2013
Nah, I look at it as "professional gaming"。
Jan 24, 2015 3:31 PM
Oct 2014
If you move your ass while gaming, sure

Jan 24, 2015 3:35 PM

Jan 2009
people think that sports needs stressful physical activity but how about chess? its just mental work so it should not be sports from what you are describing

so ye e-sports are sports too because it involves human talent like hand and eye coordination as well as tactics and fast reaction time so not all people can be called professional gamers
Jan 24, 2015 3:36 PM

Dec 2012
E-sport is more like a contest than a sport.
Sport is a physical activity, E-sport is not.

j0x said:
people think that sports needs stressful physical activity but how about chess? its just mental work so it should not be sports from what you are describing
Chess ain't sport either... it's a game/contest
Jan 24, 2015 3:36 PM
Mar 2013
j0x said:

so ye e-sports are sports too because it involves human talent like hand and eye coordination as well as tactics and fast reaction time so not all people can be called professional gamers
except chess isn't a sport
Jan 24, 2015 3:41 PM

Jan 2014
The lack of physical exertion aside, e-sports does have a high degree of competition and requires a certain level of mental skill, which is an important aspect that constitutes an actual "sport". Plus, chess is a recognized sport, if I remember correctly, so clearly physical exertion isn't a requirement for something to be considered as such. I think anything can be a sport if it involves two or more players competing to see whose skill is superior.

But still, since people seem to have varying definitions, this just becomes a matter of semantics, so who cares.
Jan 24, 2015 3:51 PM

Sep 2013
JD2411 said:
j0x said:

....Since when

Lost_Future said:
Masturbation is a sport compared to that.
I guess it must be since race walking is a sport too.
nep-nepJan 24, 2015 3:55 PM
Jan 24, 2015 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
Sabylas said:
The lack of physical exertion aside, e-sports does have a high degree of competition and requires a certain level of mental skill, which is an important aspect that constitutes an actual "sport". Plus, chess is a recognized sport, if I remember correctly, so clearly physical exertion isn't a requirement for something to be considered as such. I think anything can be a sport if it involves two or more players competing to see whose skill is superior.

But still, since people seem to have varying definitions, this just becomes a matter of semantics, so who cares.
Actually, you are completely right, referring to e-sports as sports is not necessarily wrong.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jan 24, 2015 3:59 PM
Mar 2013
FrostbyteDOT said:
JD2411 said:
....Since when
since forever

being recognised as an Olympic event doesn't make something a sport, especially since chess doesn't fit the criteria to be a sport.
Jan 24, 2015 4:00 PM

Apr 2014
I pulled a muscle in my arm from playing a video game once. I was dedicated!!
Jan 24, 2015 4:05 PM

Apr 2012
JD2411 said:
FrostbyteDOT said:
....Since when
since forever

being recognised as an Olympic event doesn't make something a sport, especially since chess doesn't fit the criteria to be a sport.
Except that they were declared bona fide sports, so don't do this JD.

Autocrat said:
Jan 24, 2015 4:09 PM
Mar 2013
Immahnoob said:
JD2411 said:
since forever

and? that doesn't make them a sport. just because someone says something doesn't make it true.
Jan 24, 2015 4:11 PM

Apr 2012
JD2411 said:
Immahnoob said:
and? that doesn't make them a sport. just because someone says something doesn't make it true.
Sorry JD, but that's not how the language works.

Autocrat said:
Jan 24, 2015 4:13 PM
Mar 2013
Immahnoob said:
JD2411 said:
Sorry JD, but that's not how the language works.
Sorry Immahnoob, but you have lost the argument
Jan 24, 2015 4:16 PM

Sep 2013
JD2411 said:
...In other words, "Just because someone says that something is not true, does not mean that it isn't." That phrase has no real argument.
Jan 24, 2015 4:17 PM
Mar 2013
FrostbyteDOT said:
JD2411 said:
...In other words, "Just because someone says that something is not true, does not mean that it isn't." That phrase has no real argument.
that's subjective
Jan 24, 2015 4:20 PM

Apr 2012
That's like saying:
"Please destroy me."
If you want to argue semantics:
Merriam-webster said:
: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment
I'll help you with some definitions.
"do certain physical activities" <- Moving your fingers is a physical activity.

Please, stay safe, JD.

Autocrat said:
Jan 24, 2015 4:23 PM

Aug 2014
It's sports loosely defined.
Jan 24, 2015 4:25 PM
Mar 2013
Immahnoob said:
That's like saying:
"Please destroy me."
If you want to argue semantics:
Merriam-webster said:
: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment
I'll help you with some definitions.
"do certain physical activities" <- Moving your fingers is a physical activity.

Please, stay safe, JD.
really because

Collins said:
an individual or group activity pursued for exercise or pleasure, often involving the testing of physical capabilities and taking the form of a competitive game such as football, tennis, etc

That would exclude e-sports as they are not about testing physical capabilities
Jan 24, 2015 4:28 PM

Apr 2012
"For exercise or pleasure" - "or" - one or the other
"often" - not all the times
"etc" - there are others.

That's why I told you that it's not a good idea to argue about something that can have so many exceptions, like language.

Autocrat said:
Jan 24, 2015 4:35 PM
Nov 2014
Consequent said:
Jan 24, 2015 6:03 PM

Oct 2010
E-sports is a sport just like chess is. If you're gonna bitch about the wording that sport isnt physical like football etc what not then just change the world but esports is a thing about competitive things online

theres only one huge problem with esports in comparison to actual sports tho - THE GAMES ARE FUCKING IMBALANCED. I guess shooters are the only games that are fine and i dont like playing them so im screwed

SC2 is imbalanced as hell and wheover thinks differently has just never watched and played enough SC

Mobas are the epitome of imbalance.

Mmos (like bns which has tournaments and what not in korea) are also relatively imbalanced but it depends on the game. I've played balanced MMO imo.

the reason why this is a problem is because games are made by people and those people are rarely ever super hardcore gamers with mechanics and balance sense and its usually just casuals trying to grab yo cash and an advisor whos trying to balance the game but ultimately doesnt do a good job because he gets paid too well and spends too much time in real life so he lacks the skill and dedication neccessary to balance a game

and that goes for everything RPG related. Problem with RPGs is that they want to have diversity and its hard to balance diversity

seriously imbalance is the biggest issue of all RPG-type games and im not even complaining im just stating this, i believe the best way to balance a game is probably to have a 3v3 arena because 1v1 is impossible to balance, 2v2 is bad in concept, 4v4 and further is too many people and the more people there are the less it matters to you and the more it matters to luck to finding the proper mates and its not even coordination at some point

so yeah e-sports is a thing but its flawed and i dont see it getting better, LoL is so hyped as the best game and as skillbased game and what not but when you pick a weak champ and everybody goes nuts because they know its weak. So if a weak champ exists that means the game is crap even by their logic. League is too snowball/item based tho so it makes even weaker champs appear strong in some cases
lots of music -
Jan 24, 2015 6:24 PM

Sep 2014
I personally would think that they're in the same coin as F1 racing, equestrian riding, chess, etc. Since all of them technically recognized as sports (as far as my lazy googling will tell me), I don't see why gaming cannot be considered.
Jan 24, 2015 6:31 PM

Aug 2014
E-sport

But I think

Consequent said:
Jan 24, 2015 6:39 PM

Jul 2014
It could be, it has potential to, but is not right now. Because all the current games associated with the esports crowd are cognitively extremely easy games and all revolve around either pure twitch or muscle memory and the rest is luck.

If a game like Natural Selection 2 actually got an esports following, that would be a sign that the esports crowd are ready for real esports. However, it was too hard for them.
Jan 24, 2015 6:48 PM

Dec 2012
JD2411 said:
Play osu... You need to have god tier speed with your fingers.

Jan 24, 2015 6:54 PM

Jan 2014
no, I don't care that it fits the definition of a sport, definitions change over time and the definition of sports should change as not to include video games.

May seem like semantics to some but I'm okay with calling them competitive gaming tournaments but saying it's a sport is a bit much.
Jan 24, 2015 7:03 PM

Jan 2013
-Turnip- said:
JD2411 said:
Play osu... You need to have god tier speed with your fingers.
if any rhythm game were a sport my family would be rich. sry not buying it.
Jan 24, 2015 8:29 PM

Mar 2008
No unless you call it a thumb sport. Now if we have motion sensors and stuff with intense movements then maybe it can be some day ?
Jan 24, 2015 8:42 PM

May 2014
I consider it a sport.

I get that gameinformer magazine every month and one month there was an article about professional gaming, like Starcraft players who compete for millions of dollars in tournaments.. It interviewed and went in detail about professional gamers daily routine. They get up early every day ,exercise, and eat healthy to keep their reflexes sharp, and then they practice for hours each day. Pretty much exactly what other professional athletes do. And once they hit about 25-26 they have to start looking for new careers because that's around the time everything (reflexes, sight, stamina, blah blah) starts to go downhill.
Jan 24, 2015 8:50 PM

Jan 2014
Nah.
Jan 24, 2015 9:01 PM

Apr 2014
JD2411 said:
No. It's just pathetic people trying to make their shitty hobby out to be something socially acceptable.

Baseball, and Hockey started as hobbies.
Jan 24, 2015 9:08 PM

Apr 2014
E-Sports are sports.

Maybe not the typical type of sport, but what is sport? A competition with some sort of skill mixed with body movement. Video games do take a certain degree of physical and mental combinations to play at high levels. I know that sounds like a dweeb thing, but have you ever played in a competitive setting for a game? It's nerve racking. It challenges your ability to think and act while being able to utilize body controls. I'll show you a competitive Smash player and a competitive Starcraft player, and show you how many body movements are done in such little time. Utilizing your muscles in yes, small places, and yes in less exhaustion then traditional sports, but still utilizing them all the same, just in different medians. It still allows for mental and physical competition.

Your reflex as a gamer in competitive settings are far superior, and far more important then any traditional sport. Most gamers that make competitive gaming their thing, trickle off by the later 20s, because of how dwindled the bodily reflex become at that age, when compared to career traditional athletes, who can prosper on through their sports far into the 30s.

There is some merit to it.
Jan 24, 2015 9:21 PM

Apr 2013
who cares if it is or not? its getting bigger every year and has huge prize pools.

csgo is currently at the XGAMES.. leggo!
Jan 24, 2015 10:37 PM

Sep 2012
I don't even want to try and read the replies in the thread.

I know it's going to be filled with a bunch of stupid anyway.

Yes, they are sports.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jan 24, 2015 11:11 PM

Jan 2011
If I don't consider bowling a real sport, I'm sure as hell not gonna recognise gaming as one.
Jan 24, 2015 11:24 PM
Nov 2008
anything can be done competitively, sure
Jan 25, 2015 12:16 AM

Sep 2011
Here we go again. Every time someone mentions this subject they compare it to the Olympics and chess. "But but look at chess!"

No dude. You're little dinky game isn't going to stand the test of time and will die out very fast. Your dinky game is monopolized by the company that is in charge of it. It isn't a sport. LoL isn't a sport. Dota2 isn't a sport. No. It's a game that is on the level of a Pokemon card tournament. That is the truth.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Jan 25, 2015 12:19 AM

Apr 2014
MadScientist said:
Here we go again. Every time someone mentions this subject they compare it to the Olympics and chess. "But but look at chess!"

No dude. You're little dinky game isn't going to stand the test of time and will die out very fast. Your dinky game is monopolized by the company that is in charge of it. It isn't a sport. LoL isn't a sport. Dota2 isn't a sport. No. It's a game that is on the level of a Pokemon card tournament. That is the truth.

You mean how like National Sports Leagues run by commissioners and sponsers who make money off of it, like a company, monopolize professional sports as well?

lol

I'd like to see you make a career in "professional" sports without going into a monopolized area.
Jan 25, 2015 12:24 AM

Sep 2011
Umou said:
MadScientist said:

You mean how like National Sports Leagues run by commissioners and sponsers who make money off of it, like a business, monopolize professional sports as well?

lol

I'd like to see you make a career in "professional" sports without going into a monopolized area.
smh. Exclusive rights. Plz. Your dinky counter is as dinky as your esport.
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Jan 25, 2015 12:31 AM

Apr 2014
MadScientist said:
smh. Exclusive rights. Plz. Your dinky counter is as dinky as your esport.

You mean how like networks get exclusive rights to broadcast the games, and cities get exclusive rights to host games, and sponsors get exclusive rights to show their products, and so on, all for the goal of making money?

Lol. You're trying to differentiate between a company and sports, when professional sports is and has always been a business, run by a company hierarchy. Sure I can play some good old fashion soccer (futbol for everyone else) in the back yard, but that's not professional. The same way if I come home after a day of work and play a Dota game casually and non-professionally. Your comparison is weak like your insults.
Jan 25, 2015 12:36 AM

Aug 2013
No I don't, it just guys sitting or standing playing video games. It doesn't have the same intense type of physical exertion as a typical sport. Just because a game is done at a competitive level doesn't mean it's a sport. Also yes I don't consider Chess a sport even though I LOVE Chess. I don't consider any video game or board game done at a competitive level a sport.
DrGeroCreationJan 25, 2015 12:39 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Has anyone here tried learning an artificial language?

Malkshake - Today

7 by Soverign »»
34 minutes ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

90 by mayoise »»
1 hour ago

» Why isn't Israel and the USA in the British Commonwealth?

vasipi4946 - Jun 12

18 by RuneRem »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

856 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» Overly Specific & Stupid Food Rules/Etiquette

vasipi4946 - Jun 12

19 by MalchikRepaid »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.