Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 9, 2008 2:16 PM

Mar 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great episode, I pretty much understand why they decided to remove it. It could give troubled kids bad ideas, though that's just like any other show.
It was a shame that we didn't get as much Fumika this time. =(
Looking forward to the next episode~
Feb 9, 2008 6:27 PM

Feb 2008
The SUN TV made a wrong decision. This episode described the reality of the bullying quite well. I know why they gave up airing this. This episode is so much real that chances are a similar case will happen. Then the mass media will criticize the anime has impelled the student. Bullshit!

dtshykFeb 15, 2008 1:44 AM
Feb 10, 2008 6:02 AM

Feb 2008
I loved it, it was definitly better than the previous episode. But this series seems to be a light version of Jigoku Shoujo with an European loli girl, instead of an Asian one.
There were some parts of the story witch bothered me. I mean , c'mon, bullying at School Can't be that evil, even in japan. And what pissed me more is the behaviour of the main character, I won't say I would help that glasses guy, I'm not a hero either, but I would't help those bastards bullying him. Errr. Well its just fiction.
ZelretchFeb 10, 2008 9:19 AM
Feb 13, 2008 5:36 AM

Oct 2007
Probably my fave ep so far but still only an okay episode I guess...

It was kind of disappointing how they A) completely ripped off the beam crossing scene from Kaiji, and B) managed to blame Kaiji (and anime/manga like it) for bullying problems. Bullying is a lot more complex than "I saw this in a manga, lets try it out".
bigjigFeb 14, 2008 2:42 PM
Feb 15, 2008 11:16 PM

May 2007
Wow, high school kids still bully someone in class to that level? I guess not even adults or school authority are dependable eh? This definitely give bad image to high school and viewers but actually made a good story and underlying message. Anyway, the second sacrifice kid was a badass for stabbing that bully. Serves him right.
chibukiFeb 15, 2008 11:19 PM
Feb 16, 2008 12:10 AM

Aug 2007
Hehe..I figured the beam thing was from Kaiji. I really hope that kind of bullying still doesn't go on, but I have a feeling it does. Lots of school shootings have happened even recently (in the U.S.). It's good that the series touched on something like that.
Feb 16, 2008 2:19 AM

Sep 2007
That was a great episode, a good commentary on some of the things that happen in real life. You rarely ever see it escalate to that level, but it does make a good example. I like how this series is basically one giant comment about human interaction.
Feb 16, 2008 3:36 AM

Apr 2007
Yep, I have to say. Bullying is a bitch. Im really glad they made this episode, any station that didnt air this punk'd out. I mean seriously, bulling is a problem so sweep it under the rug? How many suicides and school shootings happen over this kind of stuff.
Feb 16, 2008 3:56 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Heh, I got bullied too about 5 or 6 years ago. No details but the guy who picked on me transfered after I had enough.

Good episode, I enjoyed it. Looking forward to more.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 16, 2008 5:35 AM

Apr 2007
Good episode, but way to few Fumika scenes.

btw, I want that OS ^^

Feb 16, 2008 6:29 AM

Jul 2007
lol, Macindows ^^' love the finder in 4 colors.
Good episode, it started a little slowly but then progressed well. I like the phrase Fumika said at the end, that his social side lost and his animal side won. Great stuff.

Feb 16, 2008 7:03 AM

Sep 2007
Wow, pretty intense episode, I hope it will stay like this.
They totally picked up the problem which bullying can lead to very fast...

Feb 16, 2008 9:48 AM

Sep 2007
Awesome episode, but I kinda understand why they decided to remove it.
The guys who bullied me a few years ago are lucky that there was never a screwdriver around...guess I would have reacted in the same way.
Feb 16, 2008 11:41 AM
Dec 2007
what_ever said:
Awesome episode, but I kinda understand why they decided to remove it.
The guys who bullied me a few years ago are lucky that there was never a screwdriver around...guess I would have reacted in the same way.
Anyone would. I never really saw bullying past elementary school, but the High School I was in was pretty small and close-knit so we knew each other too much to have any ill will toward one another.

That said, apart from the beam thing, everything else can be real. Due to the nature of social relations, the bullied ussually are too afraid to tell anyone with any power. Basically, you tell someone and you can be sure you will get your ass smacked out in the street. The only other thing I saw amiss was the fact the teacher didn't realize some things (like someone removing someone else's pants) that were far too obvious to anyone who looked. Heck, the guy didn't even know who "Student 10" was !

Feb 16, 2008 3:16 PM

Oct 2007
That prick had it coming.

Feb 16, 2008 3:18 PM
Dec 2007
Netforce said:
That prick had it coming.
Actually, I think everyone in that school is a prick...everyone who isn't bullied that is. Those teachers suck at keeping the students safe.

Feb 16, 2008 4:20 PM

Nov 2007
Great episode. As was said before it was great timing for this episode (in the us) because of all the school shootings. It's sorta wierd that most of the school shootings were in colleges. Like at NIU earlier this week. Bulling can be very mentally crushing ordeal. Lucky for me I was never bullied to that extent. Bullying is mainly done to make people feel better about themselves that "at least I'm not as bad off as this guy". Very good episode and really out there.
Feb 16, 2008 4:54 PM

Feb 2008
I like Fumika's comments in regards to Darwinian theory about Survival of the Fittest. Interesting thought in regards to die socially, but live on as an animal.

The ability to overcome adversity under any circumstance is what makes a stronger human, in my personal opinion.

Good episode that should have been aired. This bizarre idear of the need to shelter shouldn't dictate what is acceptable material. That's what the on/off switch on the television is for right? Or parental blocking capabiities for that matter?
Feb 16, 2008 5:31 PM

Jan 2007
eh, i thought this episode was alright. i don't know about you guys but i have never seen bully like that ever. seriously, i would've socked that prick when he first stabbed the back of the neck.
Feb 17, 2008 2:26 AM

Feb 2008
Great episode. I think they described the reality of bullying quite well, and that's probably why some stations decided not to show the episode (it could give some students the wrong ideas).
And I'm glad that in my school there isn't that class of bullying.
Looking foward to the next episode.
Feb 17, 2008 7:12 AM

Apr 2007
Faust721 said:
eh, i thought this episode was alright. i don't know about you guys but i have never seen bully like that ever. seriously, i would've socked that prick when he first stabbed the back of the neck.

Thats the best way to stop bullying right there. Even if you cant win a fight, most bullies wont start one, if they know you'll go down swinging.
Feb 17, 2008 12:28 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Great episode as always . But I don't understand why they removed it . Actually it shows the reality and it would help if people could get more concious about it ~ You can't even say that you are bullied because it'll get worse . That's just plain bad ~

I'm lucky that my country has minimal rates of bullying but either way it should get better somehow =(
Feb 17, 2008 1:00 PM

Sep 2007
PiratePrincess said:
Great episode as always . But I don't understand why they removed it . Actually it shows the reality and it would help if people could get more concious about it ~ You can't even say that you are bullied because it'll get worse . That's just plain bad ~

I'm lucky that my country has minimal rates of bullying but either way it should get better somehow =(

I think it's more the 'stabbing with the screwdriver' thing than the bullying that made them remove it.
Feb 17, 2008 1:09 PM

Aug 2007
A great episode. I may never seen bullying like that, but I definitely like the message they left in this episode. The only thing I dislike from this episode was Fumika didn't have that much screentime.
Feb 17, 2008 1:47 PM

Feb 2008
Iriya said:

I think it's more the 'stabbing with the screwdriver' thing than the bullying that made them remove it.

If that was the case, then wouldn't they remove the first episode too? =S
Imo, the knife stabbing scene was alot more shocking then the screwdriver one.
KayroFeb 17, 2008 2:03 PM
Feb 17, 2008 2:02 PM
Dec 2007
Kayro said:
Iriya said:

If that was the case, then wouldn't they remove the first episode too? =S
Imo, the knife stabbing scene was alot more chocking then the screwdriver one.
Shocking and unexpected too. While they are at it, they might as well just remove the Anime entirely from their lineup, since the whole series is about death and I doubt they will shy away from such themes and scenes in the future.

DivineTrinity said:
A great episode. I may never seen bullying like that, but I definitely like the message they left in this episode. The only thing I dislike from this episode was Fumika didn't have that much screentime.
I wonder if next episode will have her more in the spotlight again. Her dad showed up in the preview after all.

Feb 17, 2008 3:14 PM

Dec 2007
That was a pretty haunting episode.. had me hooked from the beginning
also really sad

I'm still having a hard time that this is the same writer as Eureka Seven
Feb 17, 2008 3:15 PM

Sep 2007
bigjig said:
Probably my fave ep so far but still only an okay episode I guess...

It was kind of disappointing how they A) completely ripped off the beam crossing scene from Kaiji, and B) managed to blame Kaiji (and anime/manga like it) for bullying problems. Bullying is a lot more complex than "I saw this in a manga, lets try it out".

I don't think that's what they were going for, but I can kind of see your point.

Anyway, I liked this episode a lot better than the last one. Those were some extreme bullies though, glad I've never seen anything like them.
Feb 17, 2008 3:24 PM

Apr 2007
Tekky99 said:
also really sad

they were/ are both great series. Although, keep in mind Eureka Seven had 72 episodes to do the story over, and Shigofumi only has 12, most time animes that are 12 or so episodes tend to bring out the best in writers and staff. (course thats just my opinion)
Feb 17, 2008 4:42 PM

Dec 2007
Sandgolem said:
Tekky99 said:
also really sad

they were/ are both great series. Although, keep in mind Eureka Seven had 72 episodes to do the story over, and Shigofumi only has 12, most time animes that are 12 or so episodes tend to bring out the best in writers and staff. (course thats just my opinion)

(Eureka Seven had 50 eps fyi)

That isn't exactly what i meant
I more mean tone of the animes
I mean Ichirō Ōkouchi's early works (Stellvia, Planetes, Eureka Seven) are really different from this one.
The early works tend to be a lot brighter and had a positive outlook...
But starting w/ Code Geass it seems like Ichiro has gotten a lot more pessimistic, especially w/ Shigofumi which is probably the most pessimistic anime i've seen
Feb 17, 2008 5:13 PM
Feb 2008
Tekky99 said:
That was a pretty haunting episode..

I agree, although come on!!!, censorship is getting a little out of hand with this show. Although having said that I have no idea of its airing time in Japan, which probably has a lot to do with it. This being the second time the show's been subject to censorship, you'd imagine the producers etc, would be thinking of a different broadcast time.

ahh...

Feb 17, 2008 5:51 PM

Jan 2008
Didn't really like this episode (at least in comparison), maybe it was just too real for me. I have never encountered any bullying in any level of my schooling, but it really hits hard when I see it in fiction (I'm really not sure why). Maybe if I look back at this episode later I will come to appreciate it, but right now it seems to have left a bad taste in my mouth. Then again, that is probably something in which the creators wanted to do. This episode definitely aimed for the message over the entertainment value.
Feb 17, 2008 6:37 PM

Jun 2007
Sandgolem said:
Faust721 said:

Thats the best way to stop bullying right there. Even if you cant win a fight, most bullies wont start one, if they know you'll go down swinging.

I agree with you. Sometimes the only way to solve things is to use your fist or the same shit they do to you.

The only time I was ever bullied was in 9th grade during this one history class. This kid must have been really bored or something because everyday he would always poke my back and push things down the back of my shirt in the middle of class. Once it started I wanted it to stop fast. I tried talking to the kid and also the teacher and was basically told to deal with it. So one day I got fed up with the shit he was doing and stood up in the middle of class and told the teacher with a loud voice that the kid would not stop and that if she didn't do something about it I was going to punch him till he stopped. The teacher told the kid to stop. I sat down, and 5 mins later he of course started again thinking that I would not hit him. So I got up fast and punched the kid a few times in the face till he hit the ground by his desk. I sat back down in my seat as if nothing happened. The teacher obviously saw me do it so I was sent to the principals for the rest of the class and the kid was sent to the nurse. After The principal heard what had happened he let me off the hook without suspending me or giving me a Saturday. He told me even though fighting is prohibited in school he felt in this situation it was understandable and since my record had no past incidents he could clearly see I was not the one provoking it. After that, the kid never bothered me again. In fact we ended up becoming friends later on in high school.

So I guess that proves bullies target the people they think wont fight back. Thats why the majority of the time its the smart or quiet kids that get picked on.
Feb 17, 2008 6:39 PM

Nov 2007
interesting but very real episode. I could do without the talking staff though, I find these episodes the best where Fumika takes the backseat to a good story, but I still want to see more about her story just less of talking staves.
Feb 18, 2008 1:27 AM

Aug 2007
damn what an awesome episode.
Feb 18, 2008 3:08 AM

Aug 2007
Great Episode.

It caught really well the feeling of a person that is being Bullied.

My (not) short story of my bullied years.

I must admit Shigofumi is really getting a great anime. It is able to recreate human behaviours with a horrible sense of reality. This episode really reminded me of what i wrote above... I was just like the Half Dead guys.
Feb 18, 2008 12:19 PM
Jan 2008
I would wish I would have done the same with my bullies - (killed my bullies with a screwdriver and told the rest of them that what they have caused me of pain psychologically, I would cause them physically). One of the things I think was really bad is that the teachers first reacted, when they heard about a wound on my forehead (which a friend had caused me) of which, they had heard some of the bullies had caused. Before that the reaction was "Oh, that is just boy things - They do like that all the time".

Okay - So it's bully-worthy to be bullied for doing your homework? To be interested in the teachers lesson? To be non-mainstream? To like anime? To be an computer enthusiast?

Now, I may sound like a crybaby - I'm one of the quiet/smart guys some of you have mentioned -, but what about the psychological scars they make? The bullying of hobbies? The self-confidences they ruin? Many of the bullied actually have potential to become great things, but may lose it because they are being/ or have been bullied.

I can only hope that they will die a horrible death. How I dispise bullies.

Now, where is my death note?
The_ChibiFeb 18, 2008 12:34 PM
Feb 18, 2008 1:31 PM

Sep 2007
Bullying is such a vicious cycle. I'm fortunate that I avoided being bullied through my K-12 years. I was pretty weak and didn't have lots of friends so avoiding conflict was my only objective through school. It didn't help with the fact that I was Asian. I practically became invisible, I turned into a mute during school hours. I sat at the very back of the classroom so no one could throw anything at my back. If I'm walking and happen to see a group of boys, then I went another route and avoided eye contact with just about everyone.

Feb 18, 2008 2:36 PM
Feb 2008
Hi, I just read through all post and maybe its just that I'm not a native english speaker, but I was kinda shocked by some of the post a read.

First of all, I just finished watching the episode and I didnt get the last 2-3 minutes, where that girl was strolling through the forum. Could someone explain me, who she is and what is happening? Is she the next bullied one or is she the first one to understand to change something? I hope someone can help me.

BUT guys do you seriously really believe that bullying( in my country its called "mobbing") is just something that happens in school?
This kind of attitude goes on in every society/ comunity where u got herachy. Soo this also could go on at your working place etc. Maybe its not that childish how like those kids did it, but the mental stress is still the same. for example that superior only gives u the hard/bad work to do which is paid badly.

Its just like the episode said "the survival of the fittest".

Second does it really matter in this case that Fumika didnt had so much part in this ?!
Are you guys serious ?! Didnt that episode moved your heart at all, don't tell me that next week u all forgot it already. This is really a very delicate problem of our society.

What I really liked in this episode is, that it was shown how ignorant we all are. That we give a damn about the problems of others.

( I got so much to say, but my english is not good enough to discuss that all) I hope I get some response to my post.
It really interest me if could get ur interest with my post.
Feb 18, 2008 3:16 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
ricegrain said:
First of all, I just finished watching the episode and I didnt get the last 2-3 minutes, where that girl was strolling through the forum. Could someone explain me, who she is and what is happening? Is she the next bullied one or is she the first one to understand to change something? I hope someone can help me.

No you are right, she's the next in line who's getting bulliet now.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 18, 2008 3:19 PM

Aug 2007
....=( I don't like bullies, I've yet to find any in college though.
Feb 18, 2008 3:42 PM

Jan 2008
Wow, I haven't been this pissed off at characters since Jigoku Shoujo 01 and Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori 01.
Feb 18, 2008 4:59 PM

Oct 2007
That was a really really intense episode...
I was on the edge constantly...
Feb 18, 2008 6:07 PM

Jan 2008
It was once again a great episode, but I found it to be really depressing... It showed the reality of bullying in a very deep way. Though, there wasn't enough Fumika!
Feb 18, 2008 9:29 PM

Nov 2007
Faust721 said:

True. The bullied kids were, IMO, acting pretty stupidly by just shutting up and complying with the bullies. Kinda lessened the impact of the episode for me, but still good stuff. Hopefully more Fumika next week.
Feb 19, 2008 10:57 PM

Nov 2007
Sandgolem said:
Faust721 said:

Depends on the bully, I would think. My only experience came when a bully was pissed at a friend of mine in high school. He was definitely not one to back down from a fight, as he came up from behind me and hit me (only got one good shot on me) while I was walking home from school one day. He also got suspended for a long time for starting a fight with my friend in the cafeteria.
Feb 21, 2008 5:19 AM
Oct 2007
Great episode.
Feb 21, 2008 8:53 AM
Jun 2007
Agghhhg I said too much
AnimusNathanFeb 21, 2008 8:24 PM

Feb 24, 2008 8:03 PM

Nov 2006
ricegrain said:
Hi, I just read through all post and maybe its just that I'm not a native english speaker, but I was kinda shocked by some of the post a read.

BUT guys do you seriously really believe that bullying( in my country its called "mobbing") is just something that happens in school?
This kind of attitude goes on in every society/ comunity where u got herachy. Soo this also could go on at your working place etc. Maybe its not that childish how like those kids did it, but the mental stress is still the same. for example that superior only gives u the hard/bad work to do which is paid badly.

Its just like the episode said "the survival of the fittest".

Second does it really matter in this case that Fumika didnt had so much part in this ?!
Are you guys serious ?! Didnt that episode moved your heart at all, don't tell me that next week u all forgot it already. This is really a very delicate problem of our society.

What I really liked in this episode is, that it was shown how ignorant we all are. That we give a damn about the problems of others.

( I got so much to say, but my english is not good enough to discuss that all) I hope I get some response to my post.
It really interest me if could get ur interest with my post.
I agree with everything you said. Fumika was portrayed perfectly in this episode. She wasn't the main character this time, people that thought she should have been obviously didn't get the point.

I think the girl is actually going to be the one to try to stop it, as she called someone instead of getting called.

I was pretty much ostracized from all my classmates in high school for who knows whatever reason, and it got so bad I had to stop going. The counselor and principal claimed it was my fault, and wouldn't do anything to help me. Basically, they made it impossible for me to come back, even if I had wanted to. In my case, I'm in college and it's in my past, but this episode touched me deeply. I was teary or crying through most of it because it hit home. Stopping bullying should definitely be a priority in the school systems of any country, or it'll become a deep vicious circle of "only the bullies survive".

I blame it on the lack of compassion people have as a result of poor parenting, which is only going to get worse now since people born in the 80's are graduated/graduating from college and moving out into the workforce.

I say 80's because that was the era of "you're special" type parenting. You know, how your parents and teachers told you you're special and are always right? You're not. But everyone thinks they are. No compassion, all selfishness.

That's kind of jumbled but I just wanted to share.
Feb 25, 2008 11:35 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
windy said:
That's kind of jumbled but I just wanted to share.
I enjoyed reading your post :)

I've never experienced or seen anything like this before. Maybe it's because I was always in smaller schools, so I have to admit to me it's very shocking. It makes me really sad to think things like this happen around the world, or probably even right here, in my city.

I agree with you windy -- kids just don't give a rat's ass anymore about anyone but themselves. On the other hand, I think bullies have always existed.

Thought provoking episode. Excellent way to portray this subject, but I can't say enjoyable because it really wasn't. Good, but definitely unsettling, as I'm sure it was meant to be...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sobzob - Mar 22, 2008

123 by greed2 »»
May 8, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

nodoka-koi - Jan 5, 2008

130 by EtherLux »»
Dec 18, 2023 12:02 PM

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dtshyk - Mar 15, 2008

60 by RawrOMG »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:24 AM

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sobzob - Mar 8, 2008

108 by RawrOMG »»
Dec 9, 2023 3:20 AM

Poll: » Shigofumi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sobzob - Mar 2, 2008

84 by RawrOMG »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.