Forum Settings
Forums

An Anime That Sucked In The First Season But Was Great In The Second Season?

New
Jun 28, 2014 8:46 PM
May 2014
In my experience with my time watching anime, it's usually the first season that is great and the second season and after sorta goes on a decline. However, this anime I just finished watching changed that pattern for me.

Clannad. The first season of this show IMO was VERY bland, generic, typical, boring, whatever word you want to come up with. It was at best, mediocre. The characters I felt lacked personality even after seeing their back story episodes, the story between "one guy and a huge love sphere of women" is something I've already seen before, the main character is obviously going to choose the first girl that he sees in this show but they kept dragging it out with the love triangle like any other girl had a chance.

I just didn't see the appeal, I was like "people like this better than Angel Beats? Wtf?". But then a month later, I decided to watch After Story after hearing that this season was basically THE REAL meat of the show and the first season was basically just introducing the characters and getting to know them. So, screw it I'll watch it.

First 7 episodes, I still thought "I guess it's a little better, still whatever though". But then...I started to enjoy it from then on. I don't really know what got me. I think it was the episode with the Tomoya meeting with his father in prison, or maybe even sometime before, but SOMETHING grabbed me. Whatever it was, my reaction then was basically "WHERE DID THIS WRITING COME FROM!? Finally this show got better for me". And as a result, by the end of it, I enjoyed it. It was as most people said a lot better than the first season.

So with all this said, have any of you experienced this with other anime? If so, which one? Is this sort of thing common or no?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2014 8:59 PM

Jan 2008
Like I always say about Clannad, you could completely skip all the other girls story as they have literally no influence towards the story aside from possibly Fuko and just focus on the episodes with the main girl and you probably wouldn't have any issue with AF. Basically, it's like watching fillers. (Watch someone quote me and tell me I'm wrong.)

Well anyways, Nurarihyon no Mago was actually the first thing to pop to mind. The first season didn't even adapt properly to the manga and just had a bunch of random events and tried to fix it near the end by trying to reconnect it to the manga and had some poor action sequences. The show itself was just a bore, might of been the execution but I dunno, I'm not going back to watch it. Season 2 fixed all that crap and did a proper adaption with a minor change near the end IIRC.
Jun 28, 2014 9:01 PM

Feb 2013
Birdy the Mighty: Decode 02 pops to mind

Paul said:
Like I always say about Clannad, you could completely skip all the other girls story as they have literally no influence towards the story aside from possibly Fuko and just focus on the episodes with the main girl and you probably wouldn't have any issue with AF. Basically, it's like watching fillers. (Watch someone quote me and tell me I'm wrong.)

this is why the Clannad movie is better then the series

It doesn't include a bunch arcs that are pointless asides from
Jun 28, 2014 9:06 PM
Sep 2012
[quote=Paul]Like I always say about Clannad, you could completely skip all the other girls story as they have literally no influence towards the story aside from possibly Fuko and just focus on the episodes with the main girl and you probably wouldn't have any issue with AF. Basically, it's like watching fillers. (Watch someone quote me and tell me I'm wrong.)

Little Busters has a similar feel to it.
Jun 28, 2014 9:08 PM

Jan 2008
[quote=Uproarious]
Paul said:

Little Busters has a similar feel to it.

All Key adaptions do aside from Angel Beats.
Jun 28, 2014 9:15 PM

Dec 2012
Kakumeiki Valvrape 2 was a huge step up from the first season. I couldn't even believe that I was no longer watching a comedy, I was just in awe. I missed laughing uncontrollably every 5 minutes though.
Jun 28, 2014 9:15 PM

Jul 2011
Not that Railgun S1 was bad but Railgun S was miles above it.
Jun 28, 2014 9:28 PM

Jul 2013
Personally found Full Metal Panic's first season to be pretty mediocre, but the following seasons range from good to great (and when KyoAni takes over instead of Gonzo).
Jun 28, 2014 9:32 PM

Aug 2013
Usually when the first season suck, I don't even bother to watch the second season.
But I agree with Clannad After Story. Because of it was actually an adaptation from the visual novel, they have to introduce all of the character involved in the first season. That's why it doesn't seem to have an obvious plot. And then they go on with the Nagisa route in the second season, which made it the real deal.
When people asked 'why are you so quiet?',
just answer 'why are you not?'
Jun 28, 2014 9:43 PM

Nov 2013
I'm not sure if you'd say the first one sucked, but Jigoku Shoujo: Futakomori definitely didn't have the Endless 8 feel of its predecessor.
あとはあなたが決めることよ
Jun 28, 2014 9:48 PM

Aug 2013
Railgun series is the first thing that came in my mind when i saw this thread. The 1st season is dominated with pointless side stories while the 2nd season presented one of the most influential story arcs of Raildex series, and it was brilliantly executed.

Also i think Highschool DxD New is much better compared to its first season
Jun 28, 2014 9:56 PM

Mar 2012
Clannad and Clannad: After Story is certainly one that comes to mind. Not that I didn't hate Clannad, I thought that was a great series in its own right. However, After Story did a ton for the character's "growth" that made it far excel the original series.

A few others that come to mind...

Little Busters: Refrain > Little Busters - It's pretty similar to Clannad in this regard. The second season is far more dramatic and hits you over-and-over again with the emotions hammer.

To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S > Railgun - The second season of Railgun was FAR more fun to watch than the original series. It was a real shot in the arm to the entire To Aru franchise. It was much more intense and graphic than the original series. Unfortunately, it ended on a short filler arc that was less than stellar, but the first 16 episodes were still too hard to ignore for just how great they were.

Chihayafuru 2 > Chihayafuru - I found the second season of Chihayafuru to be much more engaging than the first season. I thought the first season was too slowly paced and I didn't feel it developed the main characters enough. The second season seemed to improve on both of those facets, and it made for a much more enjoyable watch.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam > Mobile Suit Gundam - It's a little loose in the definition of a sequel since it mostly follows a different set of characters. It still takes place in the same universe with a few of the same characters. Still, it was a series that was far superior to it's predecessor. Stronger animation, more likable characters while still building on the characters of the first series made it a pleasant watch. Although, don't get me started on Gundam ZZ though...that series can rot in hell...

Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun SSN 2 > SSN 1 - Like night and day. The second season actually had some really emotional character building that made it stand apart from it's first season. Some of the episodes were quite sad to see. It was actually one of the few anime I watched that made me cry last year. The first season was just meh. It was a bit slower paced and I felt like it threw too many characters at you without developing them (well, the plot as well). Both of which actually got the development it needed in the second season...unfortunately though, it still ended on a bit of a cliffhanger.

White Album 2 > White Album - I'm just going off speculation on this one because I've actually never seen the original White Album. I just heard it's terrible, from multiple people. I can't say that about the sequel though. WA2 was AMAZING! One of the best anime I watched in 2013!
Jun 28, 2014 10:02 PM

Mar 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
Kakumeiki Valvrape 2 was a huge step up from the first season. I couldn't even believe that I was no longer watching a comedy, I was just in awe. I missed laughing uncontrollably every 5 minutes though.

I thought both series were incredibly average at best. The first season was enjoyable to watch from a campy sense. It had just about every anime cliche you could possibly want and it actually made it somewhat fun for me to watch. At least I could make jokes about everything that was going on with that season. Season 2 from a technical aspect was a far better series, but I didn't find it as enjoyable to watch because it seemed to take itself much more seriously...which might be able to work for some series, but not that one. That series wasn't going to be saved...
Jun 28, 2014 10:05 PM

Apr 2013
Nikoka said:
Not that Railgun S1 was bad but Railgun S was miles above it.

The Sisters Arc puts everything to shame. The last arc of Railgun S was probably the weakest in the whole series but it didn't even matter at that point. We got the Accelerator showdown and that was all that mattered.
Jun 28, 2014 10:16 PM

Jul 2012
Bakuman s3 was better than its first two seasons, for sure. Gin no Saji s2 was a bit better than s1 because it touched on more serious topics.

I agree on Clannad too but it's prequel at least was more interesting as a whole while After Story had a lot of filler with the blonde guy's sister and other useless characters.

Toucanbird said:
Chihayafuru 2 > Chihayafuru - I found the second season of Chihayafuru to be much more engaging than the first season. I thought the first season was too slowly paced and I didn't feel it developed the main characters enough. The second season seemed to improve on both of those facets, and it made for a much more enjoyable watch.

White Album 2 > White Album - I'm just going off speculation on this one because I've actually never seen the original White Album. I just heard it's terrible, from multiple people. I can't say that about the sequel though. WA2 was AMAZING! One of the best anime I watched in 2013!

White Album 2 has no relevance with White Album though, so it doesn't count.

Also, I fully agree on Chihayafuru 2. The emotional impact was so strong in the second season.
Jun 28, 2014 10:56 PM
Sep 2011
Yuru Yuri's first season didn't such, but I got kind of tired of it being so completely focused on Kyouko. Season 2 put more focus on the first year students, and was much less cruel toward Akari. Then of course there's that eleventh episode...
Jun 28, 2014 11:56 PM

Apr 2012
Paul said:
You are wrong

Toucanbird said:
WA2 is not WA's sequel. They just take place in the same universe. But yeah, WA2 is much better.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jun 29, 2014 12:37 AM

Jun 2014
Clannad and Clannad AS. Although Clannad was necessary to developing a whimsical world and AS was the destruction and realization of what was important.

Jun 29, 2014 12:41 AM

Dec 2012
Chances are, if I didn't like the first season of a show, I'm not gonna watch the second, so idk.
Jun 29, 2014 12:48 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Let's see here..

Clannad After Story > Clannad
K-On S2 > K-On S1
Kami nomi Megami-hen > all prior Kami nomi seasons
Little Busters Refrain > Little Busters
To LOVE-Ru Darkness > To LOVE-Ru
Railgun S > Railgun

and some not quite as huge cases but still worth mentioning:

Bakuman 2&3 > Bakuman
Higurashi Kai > Higurashi

Though by far the biggest example is Muv-Luv Alternative >>>>>> Muv-Luv Extra/Muv-Luv Unlimited in the visual novel department; hard to argue with a score jump from 7.16 to 9.29 >.>

edit: I don't think any of these "suck" though, they're just big improvements over their respective originals
Jun 29, 2014 2:02 AM
Nov 2010
Nothing. If it's shit in the first season, it's going to be shit from then on.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Jun 29, 2014 2:13 AM

Mar 2012
I can think of plenty of shows that I liked significantly more in Season 2 but I don't think I've ever found a show other than maybe Clannad where I didn't really like the first season much but loved the second. And even then Clannad After Story is still flawed as fuck.

Although as for shows I liked in Season 1 but liked significantly more in Season 2:

K-ON!! > K-ON! (More episodes, better paced, stronger themes)

Love Live Season 2 > Love Live Season 1 (Better pacing, no forced drama, improves greatly on everything S1 did right)

Railgun S > Railgun (Sisters arc makes the rest of Raildex look bad)

Strike Witches 2 > Strike Witches (Better action, Yoshika's development is stronger, Sanya and Eila's episode is the best in the series)
SeibaaHomuJun 29, 2014 2:23 AM
Jun 29, 2014 5:17 AM

Dec 2012
Toucanbird said:

Complete opposite for me.

It just got tedious and lose it's novelty in the second season imo. Felt like I keep watching things getting repeated. What character development? Tachi still continues to suffer in the friendzone, and he has to keep reminding the viewers about it >.>
Jun 29, 2014 5:58 AM

Jan 2014
Natsume Yuujinchou

I don't know if I'd say the first season completely sucked but it was lackluster. Currently on the 4th season and the 2nd season was by far the best
Jun 29, 2014 7:04 AM

Jan 2012
Wow...... you've stumped me : can't think of a show where the second season was better...... maybe jormungand??
Jun 29, 2014 9:33 AM

Jan 2011
Honey and Clover
Can't say the first season really sucked but is was much worse than the second one
Jun 29, 2014 10:17 AM

Oct 2013
Little Busters Refrain>Little Busters Pretty much like Clannad and Clannad AS wherein the second season contains the final arc which is the best arc of the whole anime.

K-On!!>K-On! Second season has better themes and some touching moments.

Railgun S>Railgun Sister's arc was the best arc in the whole Raildex franchise.
Jun 29, 2014 11:28 AM

Jul 2010
I never really liked the first season of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? I thought it took itself way to seriously at time and while there was some funny moments, they felt few and far in-between.

The second season took itself less seriously and was a lot of fun.
Jun 30, 2014 7:25 PM

Jun 2012
The second season of Haruhi was so much better than the first season.
получить деньги моего друга
Jun 30, 2014 7:27 PM

Apr 2012
the world only god knows
it's not like the first season sucked but it gradually got better and better with every season. I would love a 4th season :(
it was also one of those rare harems that isn''t rage inducingly bad
zzzeallyJun 30, 2014 7:31 PM

Jul 14, 2014 11:41 PM

Jun 2008
Here's my pick.

Monogatari Second Season Actually this was really the third "season" in this series, but man oh man was it every amazing, the characters and multiple arcs were so damn entertaining and really overshadowed the previous season and even the original IMHO.

Mod Edit: Modified post after merge
VudisJul 15, 2014 9:41 AM
Jul 14, 2014 11:43 PM

Aug 2013
Clannad After Story >> Clannad

Little busters Refrain >> Little Busters.
P DOPE.
Jul 14, 2014 11:46 PM

Oct 2013
Jojo stardust crusade does that count?, it's way better than bizzare adventure. In the end both are still horrible series.
Jul 14, 2014 11:59 PM

May 2014
Fate/zero 2nd season.

Shit goes fucking bananas. Loved it all.
Jul 15, 2014 12:02 AM

Jul 2013
Railgun's second season because sisters arc a best.
Jul 15, 2014 12:03 AM

Jan 2013
Working!!' had better gags than the first one
Jul 15, 2014 12:06 AM

Jan 2011
yiirvin said:
Fate/zero 2nd season.

It isn't even a second season though, it was just split cour.
ReaperCreeperJul 15, 2014 12:17 AM
Jul 15, 2014 12:11 AM

May 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
yiirvin said:
Fate/zero 2nd season.

It's even a second season though, it was just split cour.

Well that's your personal opinion.

I mean it says 2nd season right on the name...

And a lot of animes just stop where they are at and continue the same arc in the next "season". Kinda hard to continue an arc that can last for 50+ episodes in one season don't you think?
Jul 15, 2014 12:34 AM

Mar 2012
I'll just quote my post from another thread since this thread is probably a more suitable place to post it.
K-ON!! > K-ON! (More episodes, better paced, stronger themes)

Love Live Season 2 > Love Live Season 1 (Better pacing, no forced drama, improves greatly on everything S1 did right)
Jul 15, 2014 12:46 AM

Jan 2011
yiirvin said:
ReaperCreeper said:

It's even a second season though, it was just split cour.

And a lot of animes just stop where they are at and continue the same arc in the next "season". Kinda hard to continue an arc that can last for 50+ episodes in one season don't you think?

Difference, a 3 month break between what would normally be 2 cour as opposed to announcing a second season sometime after the first.
Jul 15, 2014 1:00 AM

Mar 2014
ThisNameSucks said:
Railgun's second season because sisters arc a best.

I second this.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 15, 2014 1:06 AM
Feb 2014
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood > Fullmetal Alchemist. Technically, it's not a 2nd season but a remake.
5 Centimeters Per Second - Or what I'd like to call as 5 Anime Wallpapers Per Second.
Jul 15, 2014 1:16 AM

Oct 2013
Clannad Afterstory- Clearly superior to its first season.
Little Busters Refrain- Just like Afterstory, the final arc was waayyy better than all the other arcs combined.
Railgun S- Sister's Arc was just on a whole new level than the first season.
Spice and Wolf II- The romance between Holo and Lawrence made the 2nd season better.
Jul 15, 2014 1:20 AM

May 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
yiirvin said:

Difference, a 3 month break between what would normally be 2 cour as opposed to announcing a second season sometime after the first.

A season is just a period in which an anime is running from X time to Y time. Usually from 12 to 26 episodes. Once that series' season ends (Whatever the event may be) in its allotted television air time than it must continue as a 2nd season because it's the 2nd air time in the series' continuum. The content doesn't matter but it's usually favorable if you can fit an arc in your allotted air time.
VudisJul 15, 2014 9:51 AM
Jul 15, 2014 1:22 AM

Jun 2008
-Riptide- said:
Clannad Afterstory- Clearly superior to its first season.

I'm in the very small minority that not only thinks Clannad AS was NOT better than Clannad, I actually didn't particularly like Clannad AS period.

Mostly because I found Clannad to be a good blend of Romance, Comedy, SoL, and rich with many interesting characters.

Clannad AS while it was very deep in Drama and Story, was also incredibly depressing, void of any type of fun, and the ending gave me cancer.

So yeah...
Jul 15, 2014 1:34 AM

Jun 2009
Railgun
Clannad AS
Little Busters Refrain
Natsume Yuujinchou S3 > S2 > S1.
Aria The Origination > Natural > Animation
Lyrical Nanoha A's (S2)
Bakuman 2
Hayate no Gotoku!!

JustALEX said:

Clannad AS while it was very deep in Drama and Story, was also incredibly depressing, void of any type of fun, and the ending gave me cancer.

So yeah...

I thought Clannad AS ending was one of the best built up scene in anime.

Every question I had regarding Clannad, such as
Girl of another world, Kotomi's parent's research, Misae's past, the legends of the light orb etc etc.

Every pieces simply comes together in the ending, forming a complete puzzle.

Edit: Then again, I'm pretty much in the minority with this as well.

Most Clannad fan seem to be happy just because they like the ending, and had little to no clue of what exactly happened.
AirStylesJul 15, 2014 1:43 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2014 1:51 AM

Apr 2014
Vampire Knight Guilty was much better than the first season.

Overall Studio Deen sucks a taking manga and making anime out of it. Which makes me give even more props for making Guilty a worthy watch

Jul 15, 2014 2:08 AM

Jun 2008
AirStyles said:
I thought Clannad AS ending was one of the best built up scene in anime.

Every question I had regarding Clannad, such as
Girl of another world, Kotomi's parent's research, Misae's past, the legends of the light orb etc etc.

It was basically about 20 episodes of over-the-top drama and depressing scene after depressing scene.

I guess this isn't so much an issue as to whether or not it was done correctly, rather than I just simply hated the way they went about it.

Clannad and Clannad AS are two very distinct anime.....if it weren't for the characters one would never guess they were tied together.

I guess for me I liked the fun side of Clannad, it seemed much more calming and we had so many characters with varying traits.

In Clannad AS we're stuck with Nagisa who was so fucking uninteresting and yes I understand the ending, but it's still bullshit.

It all comes down to tastes I guess.....the reason why I'm still adamant about Clannad after all these years is because I honestly and genuinely REALLY liked Clannad season 1.

At one point that was in my top 5 anime and I easily gave it a 10/10.

And then I see Clannad AS and the utter disappointment I felt.....it simply hasn't been matched to this day.

And yeah....as if it needs to be clarified even more.....Clannad AS is for me the most disappointing sequel I've ever seen, probably the most disappointing anime I've ever seen too.

It wasn't terrible....it's just not what I wanted.
Jul 15, 2014 2:13 AM

Apr 2014
jojo's bizarre adventure stardust crusaders
and i actually really liked code geass r2 more than the original
does dragon ball z count?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Style of watching

Vapor_AU - 12 hours ago

31 by LoveYourSmile »»
3 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7222 by damiJESUS »»
9 minutes ago

» Can someone please help me fine the name of an old anime ( no pics available)

Karimhi - Jun 8

15 by nmarquesantos »»
25 minutes ago

» I can't believe an anime did this....

LenRea - 11 hours ago

15 by Zettaiken »»
55 minutes ago

» Favorite anime spring 2024

ani2016 - Yesterday

15 by Nirinbo »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.