Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 15, 2015 2:57 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Check out this thread for an introduction to what FAL is and its history.

Rules

The rules for the Fall 2014 season are now void and shall be replaced by the following rules:
  1. Each player will make a team by choosing 5 active anime and 2 bench anime from the Spring 2015 season, listed in the next post. Please note that movies/OVAs/ONAs/specials are not in the list.
  2. Sequels can be used freely in your team, but you may choose only 1 from the following list: High School DxD BorN, Nisekoi:, and Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku. The anime Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season is a special exception and will not be eligible to be selected as part of your team.
  3. The Spring season will start on March 29, 2015.
  4. Points will only accumulate within the 14 weeks this FAL season is in session. Later episodes and weeks will not count toward a team's score. In addition, episode discussion forum posts that were posted before the FAL season starts will not count.
  5. Only the active anime on a team will score points; the bench anime will not score any points.
  6. A player may swap up to 3 anime during the entire FAL season and can only swap every 3 weeks. Click here to learn more about bench swaps.
  7. Players will not be required to be active for the duration of the FAL season. Nor will they be required to actually watch the anime on their team. They will simply need to set a bracket at the beginning, let their anime rack up points, and swap benches and/or use the wildcard/aces when they feel it is beneficial to their score.
  8. In the event that 2 or more teams wind up with the same score at the end of the FAL season, their bench anime will be used as a tiebreaker. The team with the bench anime that score the most points during the entire FAL season will win.
  9. In the event that an anime has not begun airing by week 5, the anime will be disqualified and points will no longer be tallied for it. It will not be replaced with another anime.
The top 3 will be awarded with a banner for extra bragging rights!

If a player decides/needs to change his or her username while FAL is running, the FAL Staff must be notified immediately via private message to Luna_. Swaps, aces, and wildcard requests will be rendered invalid if the player's username has been changed without notifying the staff!

Points Criteria

Automatically counted points:
The following points are counted without any input from the player over the course of the FAL season:
  • Weekly points:
    • +1 point for each user on MAL who legitimately has the anime under "Currently Watching" or "Completed" that week.
    • Double the anime's "Currently Watching" and "Completed" points for the week if 3% or fewer of the teams have it included in their active anime.
    • +25 points for each forum post in the anime's episode discussion threads in the previous two weeks (counted every two weeks using the replies column and the number of threads found on the anime's discussion board).

• Additional points:
    • +3000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 3.
    • +6000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 7.
    • +9000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL upon week 10.
    • +12000*((un)weighted score) points for score ratings on MAL at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • −4 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 4.
    • −6 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 8.
    • −8 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" upon week 11.
    • −10 points for each user who has anime under "Dropped" at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +25 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 5.
    • +50 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 8.
    • +75 points for each user who has favorited the anime upon week 11 and at the end of the FAL season (week 14).
    • +4000 points for the team that gets the highest unique score that week. A team may receive this bonus only 1 time per FAL season.
    • +2000 points for each English-speaking region that simulcasts the anime in English in each of the following regions: USA, Canada, UK/Ireland, and Australia/New Zealand. The regions must be confirmed on MAL News' official Spring 2015 Simulcast List thread. The number of companies that simulcast an anime is irrelevant; only which region(s) it gets simulcast in matter. Simulcast points are counted in week 5.
    • +10000 points if licensed in USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand upon week 13. This is restricted to 1 license per anime. Licenses shall be defined by MAL News' official Q2 2015 Anime Licenses thread and their sources. A home video release must be announced or heavily implied. Companies that solely get simulcasting licenses will be excluded.
Strategically counted points:
The following points are determined based on the player's discretion.
  • Wildcard
    All players are given the opportunity to choose 1 of the following options as a wildcard starting on week 9 of the FAL season:
    1. The booster. Add a one-time 3000 point bonus to the team's score for the week.
    2. An extra swap. At a cost of 1500 points, immediately swap a bench anime with an active anime. To use this wildcard, the player must 1) send a PM saying he or she wants to use the wildcard swap and 2) post in the Bench Swaps thread as if the player were making a normal swap.
    3. The nuke (up version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team above or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke.
    4. The nuke (down version). At a cost of 1500 points, subtract X points from the team below or at the same rank as the team of the player using the nuke.
    The team rankings of the previous week will be used for a nuke. X = 6000 in weeks 9–12, 5000 in week 13, and 4000 in week 14. If a player uses the nuke and the rank above/below is shared by more than 1 team, the nuke receiver will be determined randomly.
  • Ace
    In any week of the FAL season, 1 active anime on a team may be declared as the "Ace." The Ace will take effect the next time the scores are counted. The player's team will receive:
    • +3000 points if the Ace becomes the anime with the most points on the team for that week.
    • −3000 points if the Ace does not become the anime with the most points on the team for that week.
    Furthermore,
    • Aces are available as soon as the FAL season begins.
    • Each anime on a team may be declared as an Ace only 1 time per FAL season.
    • Once an anime passes 40000 members in "Currently Watching" and "Completed" combined, the anime is no longer eligible to be an Ace. The anime with the next highest total points on the team will then be awarded points if correctly declared as the Ace.
A player may use Wildcards and Aces by PMing FALbot.

Registration

After you have read the rules, made your team, and are ready to register, you can register by PMing FALbot in the format below. You must submit your registration in this format. Copy and paste the anime titles from the list of eligible anime in the next post. Username must be the exact username as on MAL; do not make up another username.
Team: Username
AnimeTitle1
AnimeTitle2
AnimeTitle3
AnimeTitle4
AnimeTitle5
AnimeTitle6
AnimeTitle7
AnimeTitle#: These are the titles of eligible anime in the next post.
AnimeTitle6 and AnimeTitle7 are your bench anime.

For example:

Registration will need to be done before March 29th, 18:00 UTC for your team to qualify. If there is a problem with this deadline, please feel free to contact the FAL Staff to discuss it.

If you change your mind after registering, you may change your team only 1 time until registration ends. Please send the new team in the same format to FALbot and use the message subject Re-registration.
LunaSep 13, 2015 12:38 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 15, 2015 2:57 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
The following anime are eligible this season with no exceptions:

Arslan Senki (TV)
Baby Steps 2nd Season
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2 Sure-me
Denpa Kyoushi (TV)
Diamond no Ace: Second Season
Digimon Adventure Tri.
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka
Etotama
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture
Gintama°
Grisaia no Rakuen
Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation
Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
Hibike! Euphonium
Houkago no Pleiades (TV)
Kekkai Sensen
Kyoukai no Rinne (TV)
Lupin III (2015)
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha ViVid
Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku
Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu
Ore Monogatari!!
Owari no Seraph
Plastic Memories
Punchline
Re-Kan!
Shokugeki no Souma
Show By Rock!!
Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki
Triage X
Urawa no Usagi-chan
Uta no☆Prince-sama♪ Maji Love Revolutions
Vampire Holmes
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo (TV)

The following are considered exceptions and you may have a maximum of one (1) of these in your team:

High School DxD BorN
Nisekoi:
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku

The following anime are ineligible and may not be chosen:

Again, make sure you check the post above to read how to correctly register for the FAL Spring 2015 season. It is important to copy and paste the titles so that they match with the titles listed in our database.

If we are missing any anime or any of the above information is incorrect as it pertains to the Spring 2015 season, please let us know ASAP!

[size=80]Edit 3/20: Added new titles to the list of ineligible titles.[/i]
LunaMar 20, 2015 6:35 AM
Mar 15, 2015 3:00 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Yay! FAL Season is finally here!

Luna_ said:
  • Ace
    In any week of the FAL season, 1 active anime on a team may be declared as the "Ace." The Ace will take effect the next time the scores are counted. The player's team will receive:
    • +3000 points if the Ace becomes the anime with the most points on the team for that week.
    • −3000 points if the Ace does not become the anime with the most points on the team for that week.
    Furthermore,
    • Once an anime passes 40000 members in "Currently Watching" and "Completed" combined, the anime is no longer eligible to be an Ace. The anime with the next highest total points on the team will then be awarded points if correctly declared as the Ace.
I think this new rule about the Ace will make FAL much more interesting :)
p r o f i l e 👀
Mar 15, 2015 3:08 PM

Nov 2008
Luna_ said:
[list][*]Ace
Furthermore,

So if I choose an anime as an Ace and it surpasses 40000 members in the same week, what happens? Do I lose 3000 points or does it count as an error since the anime I picked was not eligible?
Mar 15, 2015 3:08 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Good luck to everyone who decides to register! :)
Mar 15, 2015 3:13 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Tacas said:
So if I choose an anime as an Ace and it surpasses 40000 members in the same week, what happens? Do I lose 3000 points or does it count as an error since the anime I picked was not eligible?

It will count as an error and you will not lose points.
Mar 15, 2015 3:17 PM

Aug 2013
There are two short anime on the list of eligible anime:
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2 Sure-me (3 minute long episodes)
Vampire Holmes (5 minute long episodes)
Mar 15, 2015 3:27 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
HeadlessRider said:
There are two short anime on the list of eligible anime:
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2 Sure-me (3 minute long episodes)
Vampire Holmes (5 minute long episodes)

Short episode lengths can be a reason for exclusion, but do not guarantee it. We take this case by case and consider other factors such as target audience and plan-to-watch numbers before making the final decision. You can find out more in the FAQ.
Mar 15, 2015 3:28 PM

Oct 2012
I'm not going to lose this time!
Mar 15, 2015 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
This FAL thing seems awesome! (had never heard of it)
Good luck everybody XD
Mar 15, 2015 4:42 PM

Sep 2011
Lot of good potential shows to pick from. Gonna be hard.
Mar 15, 2015 4:46 PM

Sep 2013
Chosing your favs shows or not - this is the question x_x
Once an alt always an alt! | ( ˇ෴ˇ ) | I ♥ Music
Mar 15, 2015 5:24 PM

Mar 2010
wel... Gintama is definitely on my list lol...

Gl everybody!
Mar 15, 2015 5:43 PM

Nov 2011
Interesting new additions about the ace this season. Looking forward to some mind games here.

Also, I'm not sure which sequel to pick yet but seeing all three of those (not including Unlimited Blade Works) listed on there doesn't surprise me.
Mar 15, 2015 6:04 PM

Sep 2011
Ranoom said:
wel... Gintama is definitely on my list lol...

Gl everybody!
I wouldn't. Like the previous season, it'll have low watching #'s + post count. The only thing going for it will be the score.
Mar 15, 2015 6:05 PM
Jan 2014
Isn't Houkago no Pleiades airing this season? It doesn't seem to be in either list. Also Narudoma.
Mar 15, 2015 6:22 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Splashcloud said:
Isn't Houkago no Pleiades airing this season? It doesn't seem to be in either list. Also Narudoma.

Houkago no Pleiades's omission is a copy/paste error. We will get that fixed soon. As for Narudoma, we were not aware of any confirmation that it would air this season. At this time please consider its status up in the air while we discuss and research.
Mar 15, 2015 6:41 PM

Feb 2013
I'm thinking about getting in on this for once.

Question though: Are the series that have preview airings (such as Nagato Yuki-chan) officially counted as started when they go to cinemas, or are they only counted when regular broadcasting starts?
Mar 15, 2015 6:49 PM

Nov 2011
NTAD said:
Question though: Are the series that have preview airings (such as Nagato Yuki-chan) officially counted as started when they go to cinemas, or are they only counted when regular broadcasting starts?

I'm wondering about this too.
Mar 15, 2015 6:51 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
NTAD said:

They will be treated the same as any show whose regular broadcasting were to start pre-season:

What about anime that started airing before the FAL season starts?
We count watching points as long as the series' database entry is set to airing at the time. We do not count forum posts made before the season begins. This way is a lot less of a headache for us, and we don't have to do research on series' airing times of day and whatnot.
Mar 15, 2015 6:51 PM

Dec 2014
I'm in
Mar 15, 2015 6:55 PM

Jan 2013
Ninja Slayer anyone? Are only tv anime eligible for FAL?

Mar 15, 2015 7:01 PM

Feb 2013
Numi said:
NTAD said:

They will be treated the same as any show whose regular broadcasting were to start pre-season:

What about anime that started airing before the FAL season starts?
We count watching points as long as the series' database entry is set to airing at the time. We do not count forum posts made before the season begins. This way is a lot less of a headache for us, and we don't have to do research on series' airing times of day and whatnot.
So the watch points start right away and everything else starts when the regular season begins? Gotcha.
Mar 15, 2015 7:04 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
brianez said:
Ninja Slayer anyone? Are only tv anime eligible for FAL?

Correct.

Please note that movies/OVAs/ONAs/specials are not in the list.
Mar 15, 2015 7:07 PM

Mar 2010
Tyrel said:
I wouldn't. Like the previous season, it'll have low watching #'s + post count. The only thing going for it will be the score.

so that's why its on the list. well i'm just going to go with it..... or i might change it later idk. thanks for the warning Tyrel!
Mar 15, 2015 9:57 PM

Oct 2012
Should I put anything specific in the "Subject" box when messaging FALbot?
Mar 15, 2015 10:15 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
felipekorbes said:
Should I put anything specific in the "Subject" box when messaging FALbot?

Please include "Registration" in the subject. That's the main "please do it this way" request for that.
Mar 16, 2015 12:18 AM

Jun 2010
I thought that Gintama will be blacklisted as FSN: UBW :/
Mar 16, 2015 12:50 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
Tyrel said:

although (from what i understand) most people planning to watch it you'd know the majority would keep it on watching compared to what would be 50%+ other airing series that people will drop

if you know what I mean
Mar 16, 2015 3:33 AM

Jul 2012
Luna_ said:
[*]Once an anime passes 40000 members in "Currently Watching" and "Completed" combined, the anime is no longer eligible to be an Ace. The anime with the next highest total points on the team will then be awarded points if correctly declared as the Ace.

I'm happy with this new rule :D It really will be more interesting and exciting! So this means there are higher chances of declaring an ace more than once or twice.
SamiiMar 16, 2015 3:46 AM
Mar 16, 2015 3:59 AM

Jul 2014
Hello, I'm new. I always thought there was a prerequisite group to join to be able to participate? I submitted a registration as I seem to be wrong, but just leaving this to be sure, if I'm wrong, please correct me.
Mar 16, 2015 4:08 AM

Dec 2011
Red_Tuesday said:
Hello, I'm new. I always thought there was a prerequisite group to join to be able to participate? I submitted a registration as I seem to be wrong, but just leaving this to be sure, if I'm wrong, please correct me.

There's no need to join any groups. There is a FAL club but you don't have to join it - I didn't until after my 3rd time participating.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 16, 2015 3:29 PM

Dec 2012
Didn't do so well last time, I hope this time is a bit different.
Mar 16, 2015 7:10 PM

Apr 2013
Luna_ said:
The following are considered exceptions and you may have a maximum of one (1) of these in your team:

High School DxD BorN
Nisekoi:

This is definitely going to be the toughest decision to make this season for me. All three of them seem like great choices.
Mar 16, 2015 7:15 PM

Feb 2013
Mills said:
Luna_ said:

High School DxD BorN
Nisekoi:

This is definitely going to be the toughest decision to make this season for me. All three of them seem like great choices.
Yeah...but you're shooting yourself in the foot if you don't pick Chess.
Mar 16, 2015 7:26 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Mills said:
Luna_ said:

High School DxD BorN
Nisekoi:

All the better to enhance everyone's gameplay, my dearie~
Mar 17, 2015 4:06 PM

Aug 2014
Will PMs to FALBot that are not properly formatted be filtered out? I accidentally sent a really messed up one by accident that would make anyone reading it think I was impaired.

I sent a corrected one after, was just curious if my mediocrity was inconveniencing anyone.
Be like this seal. It is a happy seal.
~Review Guidelines~ | ~Recommendation Guidelines~ | ~Mafia Society~
Mar 18, 2015 5:43 AM

Jul 2014
Question: since forum posts on each anime source points for that anime, are FAL participants prevented from posting/ ignored by the statistics?

Edit: Also, what is the PM format for declaring an ace? "Ace" in the subject field and the anime name in the text body?
Red_TuesdayMar 18, 2015 5:48 AM
Mar 18, 2015 6:51 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
PentaFlare said:
Will PMs to FALBot that are not properly formatted be filtered out? I accidentally sent a really messed up one by accident that would make anyone reading it think I was impaired.

I sent a corrected one after, was just curious if my mediocrity was inconveniencing anyone.

If PMs aren't properly formatted and it's just a small mistake we'll try to correct them ourselves. If there's a bigger problem that we can't correct ourselves we'll send a PM to the person and ask to send a corrected PM. If you send a corrected PM immediately after you realized there was a problem with the first one then that's fine. If you realize it only later it's better you wait until I updated the headcount thread to see if your registration went through or until you get a PM from us.

Red_Tuesday said:
Question: since forum posts on each anime source points for that anime, are FAL participants prevented from posting/ ignored by the statistics?

Edit: Also, what is the PM format for declaring an ace? "Ace" in the subject field and the anime name in the text body?

FAL participants are free to post in all threads (and the posts aren't ignored) but please don't spam in them just to get more points for certain series, otherwise you'll hear from our forum mods :P

There's no specific format for submitting aces or wildcards. "Ace" or "Wildcard" in the subject and the name of the anime in the text body is fine.
Mar 19, 2015 12:01 PM

Apr 2010
Was a nice fast pick this time.
The upcoming season looks very promising there are some nice titles in there.
Hopefully the season will be as good as it seems.

And hopefully i will do well in FAL this time.
Mar 21, 2015 11:41 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Mills said:
Luna_ said:

High School DxD BorN
Nisekoi:

Not really YAHARI ALL THE WAY
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 22, 2015 3:40 AM

Oct 2014
Can someone Explain me about the Wildcard?? I dont understanddd
I can only send one wildcard, right?
Mar 22, 2015 5:04 AM

Dec 2011
aerithclode said:
Can someone Explain me about the Wildcard?? I dont understanddd
I can only send one wildcard, right?

That's right. And you can't do it before week 9.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 23, 2015 3:42 PM

Jun 2013
Let's see how this works, lol
Mar 24, 2015 12:19 AM

Nov 2011
I haven't been keeping up with anything anime-related for nearly a month now, so I still need to get acquainted with what's airing next season.

I'm liking the choice between the three titles that have a heavy chance of being big-hitters. I also like the disqualification of shows with over 40000 watchers for ace eligibility; that will keep aces relevant longer.

Looking forward to it.
Mar 24, 2015 2:25 AM

Jul 2014
Wait, so with the season starting on march 29, does that mean weeks are counting from then?

IE, week 2's points will start on the 5th of april
Week 3 on the 12th of april etc?

What about shows that don't even start until late in april, like Grisaia no Rakuen (the 20th of april) etc.

TL;DR - did I just fuck myself putting Grisaia no Rakuen in my non-bench lineup and using both my registration and re-registration?
Mar 24, 2015 5:21 AM

Dec 2011
Red_Tuesday said:
Wait, so with the season starting on march 29, does that mean weeks are counting from then?

IE, week 2's points will start on the 5th of april
Week 3 on the 12th of april etc?

What about shows that don't even start until late in april, like Grisaia no Rakuen (the 20th of april) etc.

TL;DR - did I just fuck myself putting Grisaia no Rakuen in my non-bench lineup and using both my registration and re-registration?

All points except post counts are counted based on the situation at the end of the week. For week 1 this will be 5th April.
Post count points are the new posts during the two week period in question, so week 2's post count points will be for 29th March to 12th April (as they are counted every other week).

It's generally a good idea, if you want to put a late starter in your team (particularly one that won't have started at the end of week 2) to put it in your bench to start off with.
kuuderes_shadowMar 24, 2015 5:25 AM
Mar 24, 2015 6:19 AM

Jul 2014
I see, well if I can't use a swap before the season starts, I'll withdraw so delete my team.

In the future, putting the 'schedule' table from the club page in the relevant season rule thread's OP is a good idea.
Mar 24, 2015 8:21 AM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
Red_Tuesday said:
I see, well if I can't use a swap before the season starts, I'll withdraw so delete my team.

In the future, putting the 'schedule' table from the club page in the relevant season rule thread's OP is a good idea.

The soonest anyone can make a swap is during week two. A mistake like putting a late starter on your active team during registration will have a minimal impact on the amount of points earned during the entire season since it basically only affects week one (which usually has low points for most week one starts due to watching numbers often having only a couple days to accumulate) and the need of using swap in some instances, so I don't think it would be necessary to withdraw over that. However, if that is what you would prefer to do, I suggest you specifically contact Luna_ by PM. Just so there's an official dialogue of it between you two and a record to officiate it.

I will add 'putting the schedule table from the club page in the relevant season rule thread's OP' into our list of things to do for in the future. Thanks.
Mar 24, 2015 9:01 AM

Jul 2014
Numi said:
Red_Tuesday said:

The soonest anyone can make a swap is during week two. A mistake like putting a late starter on your active team during registration will have a minimal impact on the amount of points earned during the entire season since it basically only affects week one (which usually has low points for most week one starts due to watching numbers often having only a couple days to accumulate) and the need of using swap in some instances, so I don't think it would be necessary to withdraw over that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I swap after week 2 starts, doesn't that swap only take effect for week 3's points onwards?

I guess I misunderstood then, I'll be fine if a week 2 swap counts for week 2.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (September 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Sep 5

11 by ScaryOwl »»
Sep 21, 4:49 PM

» Best Profile Design (August 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Sep 5

7 by AdamAngel »»
Sep 7, 11:37 AM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (August 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Aug 22

15 by Lumi »»
Aug 31, 5:00 PM

» Best Profile Design (June 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Jul 1

5 by AdamAngel »»
Aug 18, 10:39 AM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (August 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Aug 1

6 by KarenShirotori »»
Aug 16, 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.