3It was OK
8.1%
2Disliked it
4.0%
1Hated it
0.7%
Average 4.5
297 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 7, 2019 5:02 PM

Nov 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
At one point you really get tired of those summaries, nothing against you Law.

And jarring pacing or not, Kaidos fire breath (or whatever the fuck that was) was just crazy and definitely elevated this to a good episode. Kizaru's laser aint got shit on it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 7, 2019 5:04 PM

Mar 2014
like....
THAT THING DESTROYED AN ENTIRE MOUNTAIN!!!!
damn that was a strong Blow Breath...
Can't wait for the next Episode!!!!
Dec 7, 2019 6:36 PM
Apr 2016
The first like 15 minutes killed the tension, felt like it was very dragged on, especially with Law's explanation that everyone is well aware of already. BUT when the ending came, uhh, well, what can I say...HOLY SHIT THE ENTIRE MOUNTAIN IS GONE. Luffy looked so devastated, oh god, getting sabaody flashbacks not gonna lie. I hope everyone got away safe from there, and I hope Luffy won't just charge in without checking whether the crew is okay.
Dec 7, 2019 6:45 PM

Jan 2008
That pacing was so bad. They didn't even cover the entire chapter that this happened. I'll be curious to see if the rest of the chapter and the next get covered next week, or if that's going to be made into two episodes.

Still, it was interesting to watch this whole thing be animated.

Also, quick thing. Glad CrunchyRoll worked. The main FUNimation site was terrible. All the subtitles were like Font Size 40. Couldn't even fit the screen.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Dec 7, 2019 7:21 PM

Jul 2016
that ws like 3 pages of content... sigh...
Dec 7, 2019 7:35 PM

Oct 2015
I agree the pacing was so mediocre I want to cry tears with juice. It was awkward and made me cringe all the way to the end.

The only only thing great about was Luffy's distorted face after that blast, how will he defeat that monster? I wish they give this arc to another studio, because I really would like it to be adapted well as it is my favorite. I wish Oda would get into some form of disagreement with them and then he would change the rights.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 7, 2019 8:24 PM

Aug 2018
Good Episode......
Dec 7, 2019 8:29 PM

Nov 2008
Given Kaido's God-Plus monster abilities, one has to wonder who in the Marine captured him in the past.
Dec 7, 2019 8:47 PM

Oct 2017
The pacing was slow af. Anyway Kaido's blast wiped out half of that mountain, what a beast he is. Next episode Luffy vs Kaido, I wonder how long will he survive against Kaido.
Dec 7, 2019 8:52 PM
Mar 2019
We have to understand that at times the pacing is going to be slow because It’s close to the manga and Oda breaks, and I accepted that. Overall the animation on the blast was beautiful and Luffys facial art was flawless.

Can’t wait for next weeks episode 💯
Dec 7, 2019 8:53 PM

Oct 2019
when nami is surprised by laughing brook, kawaii 😍😍😍😍😍
Dec 7, 2019 9:17 PM

Jul 2007
The pacing may be a bit slower but what i do like with this new director is the fact that they are following more closely the cliff hanger endings of each chapter where as previously that was not the case with the last director. One of the things that makes one piece such an amazing read is oda's awesome cliff hangers and so far the anime series has been following that suit.

Dec 7, 2019 11:03 PM
Oct 2018
Unlike everyone else here, I'm so glad that I don't read the manga. I enjoy every episode thoroughly unlike manga readers who watch just to complain about the pacing. Nobody cares about how great that fire blast looked. All they cared about is oh that was like only 3 pages in manga.
Dec 7, 2019 11:22 PM
Jul 2018
A fine ep, Well one more to go. then I'm out , I rather wait for the whole arc to end.
And of course my hatred for that upcoming ep. ( My Opinion )
removed-userDec 7, 2019 11:30 PM
Dec 8, 2019 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
Nik03178 said:
Unlike everyone else here, I'm so glad that I don't read the manga. I enjoy every episode thoroughly unlike manga readers who watch just to complain about the pacing. Nobody cares about how great that fire blast looked. All they cared about is oh that was like only 3 pages in manga.

Some people not all always complain about the pacing I think this ep handled it better
But I did complain about the pacing in the sumo match Luffy against the fat guy ep
because it shouldn't had taken that long against that fodder
in Manga he was one shotted the sumo guy. just one attack from Luffy , while Anime did drag it on,There was many things they could've focused on but instead they dragged the fight on.
removed-userDec 8, 2019 12:17 AM
Dec 8, 2019 12:56 AM

Jul 2015
Never have I ever seen a drunk dragon, but that blast scene was definitely out of the world

This is going to be one of a hell battle against Kaido, Strongest Creature in the World, especially considering he has only shown his dragon form and one attack

Dec 8, 2019 2:23 AM

Apr 2017
Liked the Wano arc and the art changes so far but this is why I gave up on One Piece anime...pacing. I like how they say One Piece has a lower filler ratio than Bleach and Naruto but how do you explain them stretching 5 pages into an episode? You can skip most of fillers in those 2 series because they are separated from canon episodes but when you incorporate them into canon episodes like OP does, it's a chore to watch. Also how is it that there is almost the same amount of episodes as chapters when an episode should usually cover 2-3 chapters?

Answer is a shit ton of filler.
Dec 8, 2019 3:04 AM
Oct 2019
AmeliaNeston2003 said:
A fine ep, Well one more to go. then I'm out , I rather wait for the whole arc to end.

I Couldn't agree more , That was Oda's biggest mistake. The Anime onlys will see how shameful that episode will be to them. except for the delusionals.
Dec 8, 2019 4:19 AM
Jul 2018
Finally some Kaido action.
Dec 8, 2019 5:00 AM

Sep 2017
Dragon Kaido's animation was hilarious
Dec 8, 2019 5:06 AM

Nov 2019
WOOOOOW Kaido's strong asf
the animation for that blast was beautiful honestly
I wonder how everyone managed to survive that cuz ik they aint dead
9/10 Episode
Dec 8, 2019 6:46 AM

Sep 2016
The animation was excellent and the various shots of Kaido too but the pacing, it was awful. The first half was almost painful to watch, some kaido scenes felt like they were adde just to brag about the design and to add extra time. The last minutes were amazing, from the build up of the blast (Although it could've been a little more faster and instead of reusing DB stock sounds they could've used something more, dragon-esque) to Luffy about to go Berserk on Kaido's ass.

6/10 but it's closer to 5/10
Dec 8, 2019 2:53 PM
Jun 2014
Nik03178 said:

Exactly!! That's why I just don't read manga at all. I feel like I get to enjoy the anime much more if I don't already know whats coming. My opinion.
Dec 8, 2019 2:56 PM
Jun 2014
Nik03178 said:

Exactly!! That's why I just don't read manga at all. I feel like I get to enjoy the anime much more if I don't already know whats coming. My opinion.
Dec 8, 2019 4:22 PM

May 2014
After this episode, I have only one question:

How the fuck did Shanks manage to stop Kaido before the clash between the Whitebeard and world government at Marineford

Seriously how the fuck did he manage to pull that shit

I'm 111% sure that he didn't stop him with words
Dec 8, 2019 7:26 PM

Feb 2015
Kaido’s presentation card, a huge fire blast just in the middle of the mountain that destroyed a couple of mountain factories behind, just that. Seeing this guy’s power, how were they supposed to defeat him?
Dec 8, 2019 8:50 PM

Dec 2013
That's a terrifying amount of power...
Dec 8, 2019 10:41 PM
Feb 2009
sheesh drunk kaido legit blasted the top of the mountain
Dec 9, 2019 5:48 AM
Oct 2019
Everybody's gone
Dec 9, 2019 4:17 PM
Jun 2015
Whoooohooooo! Toei back at it with shit pacing
Dec 9, 2019 6:32 PM

Nov 2008
bahamutns said:

How the fuck did Shanks manage to stop Kaido before the clash between the Whitebeard and world government at Marineford

What is tells me is that there is a LOT more about Shanks that we haven't seen in terms of his abilities. And then consider that he is missing an arm too - what might he have been if he hadn't lost that arm?
Dec 9, 2019 6:39 PM

Jul 2013
I agree that most of the episode felt a little bit slow, even if it was funny how a serious situation with the appearance of Kaido got pretty funny when he burped because he was drunk :D

Fucking Hawkins. He didn't knew that everyone of the strawhats and heart pirates was on top of the mountain but nonthenless he told Kaido about it. What happened after that was one the craziest things I have seen so far in One Piece. That breath just destroyed half of that mountain in an instant and I don't think that this was Kaidos full power.

I really hope Sanji and Co are fine. Normally you would think they must have died because they were so close to the explosion. But that's what Luffy thinks has happened and he's super pissed. I can imagine how he must feel but what he's about to do is suicide. Will be interesting to see how much stronger Kaido really is.

Dec 9, 2019 6:48 PM

Jul 2013
dbaranyi said:
bahamutns said:

What is tells me is that there is a LOT more about Shanks that we haven't seen in terms of his abilities. And then consider that he is missing an arm too - what might he have been if he hadn't lost that arm?

Or maybe he made Kaido drunk. I don't read the manga but for me that's also a possibility. Would be nice if they show what exactly happened there at some point in the future.

Dec 9, 2019 6:58 PM

Nov 2008
Natsu88 said:
dbaranyi said:

Or maybe he made Kaido drunk. I don't read the manga but for me that's also a possibility. Would be nice if they show what exactly happened there at some point in the future.

I doubt that - this episode shows that Kaido can obviously cause incredible destruction even when he is stinking drunk.

Just the fact that Shanks could demand an end to the battle at Marineford and get it, and that his crew could get a drop on all of the Vice Admirals and Admirals there says that he has immense power that we have never been shown.

And Shanks could sneak in to see the five secret leaders of the World and negotiate with them - there is a LOT more to Shanks than just being the "nice guy" that we've seen in the anime.
Dec 9, 2019 7:42 PM

May 2014
dbaranyi said:

The way that he lost his arm almost always make me headscratch it's ridiculous... seriously Yonko should be able to rip sea king head with his fucking thumb

There's a load of theories about him, and the funniest that I read was that he's the father of Makino child lol
Dec 10, 2019 3:43 AM

Nov 2008
bahamutns said:
dbaranyi said:

The way that he lost his arm almost always make me headscratch it's ridiculous... seriously Yonko should be able to rip sea king head with his fucking thumb

There's a load of theories about him, and the funniest that I read was that he's the father of Makino child lol

That raises an interesting question - was Shanks already a Yonko when he met Luffy when Luffy was a little kid?
Dec 10, 2019 6:20 AM

Nov 2012
dbaranyi said:
bahamutns said:

That raises an interesting question - was Shanks already a Yonko when he met Luffy when Luffy was a little kid?

It was revealed recently that

Dec 10, 2019 10:02 AM

May 2014
dbaranyi said:

Now that I think about it... I'm not sure, but I'd say that he may obtained Yonko tile some time after he save Luffy

According to OP timeline

https://thelibraryofohara.com/the-one-piece-timeline/

Luffy begin his journey 11 years after he meet Shanks, and that's more than enough time for Shanks to obtain the title of Yonko, especially because he wasn't some nameless rookie, he was apprentice of pirate king Gol D Roger
Dec 11, 2019 9:07 PM

May 2014
One doesn't mess with Kaido. To obliterate the area around the castle totally is not something to mess with. Daym, that dragon got some serious powers. What I find more interesting is the "X" mark on his chest. Makes one wonder who gave it to him. Oden-sama? Regardless of who it was it must have been a strong opponent. If they say his scales are as impenetrable, it's a big clash that must hit him to get that scar. If nothing less, the animation of the fire blast was really good. Next ep. Luffy is furious and gonna clash with the dragon.
Dec 11, 2019 9:26 PM

May 2014
bahamutns said:
dbaranyi said:

There is a deep meaning behind the loss of his arm. Oda loves to play with words and makes things more meaningful than what one interpret at first view. Anyway, this is not spoiler since he said himself when he met Whitebeard that he bet on the new age (which makes me think that he has a feeling that Luffy will be the next pirate king). He deliberately lost his arm to the sea king to show Luffy that being a pirate is not a joke. It made him realize what it means to be a pirate and that it's not a child game. It also made it find his own goal in life.

I have also read from other people on net that Oda had said even without an arm Shanks hasn't lost any strength. He is as strong with one arm as he were with two.
Dec 11, 2019 9:30 PM

May 2014
Kewinn24 said:
Nik03178 said:

You guys aren't the only one. I totally agree with your points. ;)
Dec 11, 2019 9:33 PM

May 2014
Mazetriple100 said:
AmeliaNeston2003 said:

I Couldn't agree more , That was Oda's biggest mistake. The Anime onlys will see how shameful that episode will be to them. except for the delusionals.

I don't think Oda decide which company animate his manga. Also he has probably nothing to do with the animation.
Dec 12, 2019 1:25 PM

Apr 2013
Seems like we're 100% back to the slow af episodes again... Kaido destroyed the castle this episode, that is all. Obviously everyone survived that, however they did that. In the first place Luffy only ran away, because the plot demanded him to be somewhere else when the others get hit by that attack. It made no sense for him to run down there if Kaido didn't even do anything besides destroying a few houses and fighting the thief who tried to steal food from the poor people.
Dec 14, 2019 6:18 AM

May 2014
mangalicker94 said:
There is a deep meaning behind the loss of his arm. Oda loves to play with words and makes things more meaningful than what one interpret at first view. Anyway, this is not spoiler since he said himself when he met Whitebeard that he bet on the new age (which makes me think that he has a feeling that Luffy will be the next pirate king). He deliberately lost his arm to the sea king to show Luffy that being a pirate is not a joke. It made him realize what it means to be a pirate and that it's not a child game. It also made it find his own goal in life.

I have also read from other people on net that Oda had said even without an arm Shanks hasn't lost any strength. He is as strong with one arm as he were with two.

Agree, Shanks make right decision, because the path that Luffy and his crew take, is almost the same as Roger and his crew, therefore it's obvious that he'll be pirate king by the end of the story... unfortunately I think that he'll meet his end on the same or even worse way that Roger did as much as I love this series I don't think that plot have enough armor for everyone to survive
Dec 14, 2019 7:48 AM

Feb 2010
The breath blast looked good but in the manga it was more of an air blast than a beam.
Dec 20, 2019 6:55 AM

Mar 2015
Ohhh snap, drunk Kaido was a quite funny but that blast was no joke!!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 20, 2019 12:54 PM

Jul 2008
Well that escalated quickly.
Dec 21, 2019 9:56 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm well finally some action to be expected but I guess next episode
Dec 27, 2019 3:07 PM

Jul 2013
We're gonna need Guku and the dragon balls for this one folks
Jan 18, 2020 2:14 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, that attack was too strong.
I'm sure they are ok though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Longer running comedy gag than Sanji's "fall for every girl he sees" shtick?

GakutoDeathGlare - 10 hours ago

19 by Bolona07 »»
47 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 235 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Genoard - Jun 1, 2009

110 by Seruki123 »»
1 hour ago

» What is the most Over Powered DF combination (might contain spoilers if you haven't reached Dressrosa)

A1ex_Ryder - Yesterday

4 by egosumjohn »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1107 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jun 1

43 by Eoussama »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 723 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FeelSide - Dec 19, 2015

68 by disaznstyping »»
Yesterday, 7:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.