3It was OK
0.7%
2Disliked it
0.3%
1Hated it
2.0%
Average 4.9
708 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2016 1:23 AM

Sep 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Mixed feelings on the OP song. Didn't really feel catchy to me and I'm a person that likes my songs to be catchy. Not a fan of the ED either... Oh well.

First thing that came to mind during the OP song:

As for the episode, was really good—as expected. Kagura's grown quite a bit now to do so well against her brother. A lot of past stuff was shown this episode too which I really enjoy especially for Gin. As for the transitioning between the fight and the flashbacks, I think it was pretty well done. They changed some little bits order but got to it eventually.

4 Chapters covered~ About 2 episodes left at this pace.
TyrelJan 6, 2016 1:33 AM
Jan 6, 2016 1:24 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
First time I’ve ever woke up at 4 am for any anime episode. Gintama didn’t disappoint! Gintoki vs. Takasugi, OMG, I’ve never been on the edge of my seat for any fight. The new OP was good and the new ED was very good. Don't understand the hate for the new OP, it reminds me a lot of Bakuchi Dancer. It's just the visuals for the OP that was lame, as its all suff we've seen before. Though showing anything else would be spoilers.

Gintoki’s speech was great, so was Kagura’s. Kagura vs. Kamui was great and all, but Gintoki vs. Takasugi was pure epicness. I just realized that when Shinpachi was a badass for the first time, you can’t really give a sh*t about him when we have fights like these in the foreground.

Those flashbacks with Gintoki and Takasugi just make the impact of the fight so much more than it already is. The desperation and enjoyment in both of their eyes was great.

The ending though O.O Man this is some intense stuff! Great adaptation as it was loyal to the manga (4 chapters adapted with nothing skipped I believe). Next episode’s gonna be that :D. Nect episode should be the best Gintama episode yet...

Gifs incoming…

Screenshots from EP 39/304

Gifs from EP 39/304

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerJan 6, 2016 6:18 AM
Jan 6, 2016 1:32 AM

Jul 2014
Episode was fantastic! the pace! the animation! it had fcking everything!
As expected they didnt show much of what would happen NEP preview, cant blame them theres way too much surprises on the coming ep.

OP was meh
ED was more than just good! the feels were strong on those pictures.
-StrayJan 11, 2016 10:40 AM
Jan 6, 2016 3:48 AM

Jun 2015
Oh man this episode was so good... those fight scenes!!!!
:)
Jan 6, 2016 4:01 AM

Sep 2015
Know Know Know ..that OP...Shogun foreshadowing.. :|
Every Gintoki's fights remminds me of Musashi....not the homeless one tho xD

Kris-OliverJan 6, 2016 4:18 AM

Jan 6, 2016 4:08 AM

Jul 2014
the OP is ok, nice blue blood splatters (for some reason I thought of Danganronpa).

THE FIGHTS THOUGH. THE FLASHBACKS ASDFGHJKL but the true feels start next week.

Loved Gintoki and Zura's first meeting.

I didn't think Sensei's voice suited his character design very well, I only noticed it now since he only had like 2 words to say in Enchousen (actually did he get any lines at all?)

NEXT WEEK HYPE

edit: I am not a fan of the ED. To me the beginning of it sounds like a Japanese version of some weird Australian song, for some reason
toblynarutoJan 6, 2016 4:49 AM
Jan 6, 2016 4:12 AM

Dec 2013
That new opening was disappointing. The music was cool but the visuals were mostly reused clips.

The episode was overall greatness! Kagura was beastly! She was clearly out matched but she still did a petty decent amount of damage to Kamui. She'd better thank Sougo later for his help.

That Gintoki vs Takasugi fight was brutal! Loved every moment of it. Only complaint is that I wished they focused more on the fight rather than the flashbacks. Still really enjoyed all of the flashbacks. Looking forward to more of them next episode.

Takasugi was really different when he was a kid.
Jan 6, 2016 4:15 AM

Feb 2012
The songs for OP and ED were pretty nice in my opinion, but I didn't like the visuals for the OP, wtf was that shit son, they just used the scenes from the previous episodes, and those random splatters... Hope this is some new year troll or something, and they show the new OP visuals next week.

Both fights were pretty nice, but waiting for the tumblr screens to see how many faces they ruined this time.
Jan 6, 2016 4:21 AM

Aug 2010
That OP sounds so DOES XD Loving the song. Sucks that we're gonna have to wait a while for new visuals. Probably after the SAA. I didn't find the ED song to be that much to my liking but the visuals were so good!!! Dem Nobume thighs tho :L

All dem Kamui faces in his fight with his Kagura were so good! Not a single derp. And damn he's getting serious. It's awesome how Sorachi is doing this having Kagura attack the places Sougo injured. More shipping fuel :P

The Gin vs Takasugi was so friggin epic and associated with the flashbacks of when they first met making it even better and better. So much feels! Seeing Takasugi being that much weaker than Gin at the start was wow. I didn't expect Gin to be that stronger. Takasugi just trying to win again and again was so nice. The battle in the present was amazing. So much blood! They're going at it for the kill! And both seem to be enjoying the hell out of it. Dat last exchange tho! I'm sure Gin's not down yet ofc but 1st round for Takasugi I guess ^^;

Sweet comedy during the flashbacks with Katsura. He really never changes with his random shit XD If only he was here in the present too...

Gin sure knows how to make a first impression. The way he first met Zura and Takasugi was lol
Jan 6, 2016 4:39 AM

Dec 2015
the fight was a bit not as details as the manga but the flashbacks sure were great
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 6, 2016 4:43 AM

Aug 2015
This is what you called 10/10 episode from 10/10 anime
Jan 6, 2016 4:45 AM

Aug 2012
The OP is nice even though the visual is mostly reused :)

It's nice to see how they first met when they still a child and to hear and see shoyo-sensei. The atmosphere + fight scene + flashback is pretty well done. I didn't even realize that the episode is already over. Lastly I like the ED song and how they visualize past and present =)
Jan 6, 2016 4:51 AM

Mar 2015
New OP song was ok I guess, new ending song was also ok I guess

Pacing was good. I expected the fight to look more intense and badass but it's not as detailed as in the manga but overall I still give 10/10

Next week's episode is the disciples' of Yoshida's past. And maybe
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Jan 6, 2016 4:53 AM

Jan 2012
Damn it, was kind of hoping seeing the anime"s future for the op but they just used a clip show instead and with that its obivous that they will change the op once the arc is over.

But that ED with Sasaki and Nobume in a scene, oh my god are they really going to do "that" arc right after this arc? Please how much more does the studio have to torment me until they make it official or not..

But, when it comes to the episodes, it was amazing, the animation of the fights were very good and even though the ep adapted 4 chapters once more it was still a brilliant pace.
How I love a game
Jan 6, 2016 4:55 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
New OP sounds alright although it doesn't sound catchy to me. And they might change the OP's visuals in future episodes, probably when the arc is over. I like the visuals for the new ED though, with photos of their past. ED song sounds average..

But the episode was totally epic! The fight scenes were intense, brutal, and getting bloodier. And finally, flashbacks with young Takasugi! So that's Takasugi and Zura Katsura met Gintoki when they were kids. And it's been a long while since I've heard Shouyou-sensei's voice again.
Jan 6, 2016 4:56 AM

Mar 2015
Zack312 said:
Damn it, was kind of hoping seeing the anime"s future for the op but they just used a clip show instead and with that its obivous that they will change the op once the arc is over.

But that ED with Sasaki and Nobume in a scene, oh my god are they really going to do "that" arc right after this arc? Please how much more does the studio have to torment me until they make it official or not..

But, when it comes to the episodes, it was amazing, the animation of the fights were very good and even though the ep adapted 4 chapters once more it was still a brilliant pace.

they might do that arc maybe after a few fillers I guess, I hope so but I hope not so soon too 'cuz it feels like Gintama might end any time :-(
Gin-chan said:
Anime - it's not something that can be thought of in a hall for conferences. It is made out of strange juices current from the brain of animators.
Jan 6, 2016 4:57 AM

Nov 2010
Love the new ED!

A nice episode
Jan 6, 2016 4:59 AM

Aug 2015
silvers0ul said:
Zack312 said:

they might do that arc maybe after a few fillers I guess, I hope so but I hope not so soon too 'cuz it feels like Gintama might end any time :-(

No need for filler.. they can always adapted the chapter that was skipped before this arc...

it will also pleased the whiners who complained about the skipped chapters.
Jan 6, 2016 5:01 AM

Mar 2015
MeinKaiser said:
silvers0ul said:

No need for filler.. they can always adapted the chapter that was skipped before this arc...

it will also pleased the whiners who complained about the skipped chapters.

Oh yes I hope they animate the
It's so funny I just
Gin-chan said:
Jan 6, 2016 5:04 AM

Nov 2007
Gintama is catching up! I am assuming 2-3 episodes left for this arc.

It also means this may be the last cour of the anime. Do not expect more than 12 episodes after this.

Loved the ED more!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 6, 2016 5:13 AM

Aug 2015
shanimebib said:

It also means this may be the last cour of the anime. Do not expect more than 12 episodes after this.

Loved the ED more!

They are showing us Utsuro so we dont know that yet
Jan 6, 2016 5:17 AM
Dec 2014
MeinKaiser said:
shanimebib said:

Loved the ED more!

Yep it does. There will be another 2 episodes of this arc and then 9 episodes of the FS arc. This will complete a cour and then the anime will go on hiatus till more material comes out.
Jan 6, 2016 5:17 AM

Aug 2014
Finally some flashback about Shoyo and Takasugi.(After 300 episodes but finally) It was really good to see and I really want to understand why Takasugi feels so much hate.
Jan 6, 2016 5:19 AM

Feb 2012
MeinKaiser said:
shanimebib said:

Loved the ED more!

Even with Utsuro they can't do much, there's only FSA letf to be animated, they can't start the 3rd serious arc mid way tho.

They will either go back to comedy, or stop the show, but seeing how they plan to put out comedy arcs in OVA's with manga volumes, they'll most likely stop the show.
Jan 6, 2016 5:26 AM

May 2015
treedude said:
MeinKaiser said:

Yep it does. There will be another 2 episodes of this arc and then 9 episodes of the FS arc. This will complete a cour and then the anime will go on hiatus till more material comes out.

How do you know that :o
I can't wait for the next arc I thought it was even more awesome than this arc. Chapter 551 was beautiful xD
Jan 6, 2016 5:29 AM

Dec 2015
what do you guys like more? OP or ED? for me I think I like the ED more (because of the art) :D
and I can't wait to the next episode even though I know I'm gonna suffer
“The greatest crimes in the world are not committed by people breaking the rules but by people following the rules. It's people who follow orders that drop bombs and massacre villages.” -Bansky
Jan 6, 2016 5:32 AM

Nov 2014
Both OP and ED are loveable.
That history of them is so heartwarming.
For a long time, this is the first time, they show the true figure of Yoshida Shoyo
Jan 6, 2016 5:35 AM
Dec 2014
Pocoyoyo said:
treedude said:

I can't wait for the next arc I thought it was even more awesome than this arc. Chapter 551 was beautiful xD

Because it makes the most sense for the studio. They are already short on budget, so prolonging the series until the FS arc would eat all their budget.

HOLY SHIT! I am so excited for chapter 551. It contains my favorite Gintama scene of all time (the letter scene), so i am more then pumped for that emotional moment.
Jan 6, 2016 5:49 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, just how strong is Gintoki's lake toya?
Anyways, this episode is great! Quality is great!

Join reddit r/anime community!
Jan 6, 2016 5:51 AM

May 2011
loved every thing about it<3 D; The flash backs were my favorite
Jan 6, 2016 5:55 AM

Jan 2012
Hahaha! I was tearing up towards the end. Wonderful and epic episode. <3
Jan 6, 2016 5:57 AM

Jan 2015
This episode is the best episode I've even seen, of anything. It gave me chills, it had my heart beating, it had me cry, it had me laugh, everything in this episode was perfect. So many people who don't watch Gintama are missing out on this greatness.

vikki7783 said:
I am not a fan of the ED. To me the beginning of it sounds like a Japanese version of some weird Australian song, for some reason

Didn't know my country's music sounded like that but okay then xD
Jan 6, 2016 5:57 AM

Jan 2012
treedude said:
Pocoyoyo said:

Because it makes the most sense for the studio. They are already short on budget, so prolonging the series until the FS arc would eat all their budget.

HOLY SHIT! I am so excited for chapter 551. It contains my favorite Gintama scene of all time (the letter scene), so i am more then pumped for that emotional moment.

Man, maybe it was a huge mistake that they moved the anime from Sunrise to Namboi whatever their name was. Would it perhaps been different with their budget if they had just stayed in Sunrise?

Well, either way, as much as I"m excited to see "that" arc get animated, right now I"m most worried about the arc"s quailty to become bad. I have already seen some small glitches in this current arc where the animation was not too good....
How I love a game
Jan 6, 2016 6:03 AM

May 2015
treedude said:
Pocoyoyo said:

Jan 6, 2016 6:04 AM

Jul 2015
Epic as fuck, does anyone have a link or know he name of the epic guitar ost ?
Jan 6, 2016 6:14 AM

May 2014
Great episode overall. Loved the fight scene so much, although I'd say that the manga did it better.

New OP was meh, and I had just gotten used to the older one.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Jan 6, 2016 6:23 AM

Dec 2015
Zerryn said:
loved every thing about it<3 D; The flash backs were my favorite

hehe then I think you're gonna enjoy next week episode even more ... or not XD
Jan 6, 2016 6:32 AM
May 2015
Mm, the opening will change once this arc is over which should be in a handful of episodes having likely the same song with better graphics hopefully. I really loved this episode, the comedy plus the moments of seriousness is really what hooked me into gintama recently.
Jan 6, 2016 6:47 AM

May 2012
Absolutely insane episode just wow.
Jan 6, 2016 7:12 AM
Jun 2008
That must be a record.
One episode and Gintama is already my ANIME OF THE YEAR

Loved the new OP and ED.
Loved the flashback, loved the fights, loved how charming is Shoyo sensei,loved everything.

10000 /10
shion16Jan 6, 2016 7:16 AM
Jan 6, 2016 7:33 AM

Nov 2014
Holy shit what the hell are they doing, how could they toying with my feeling like this, one sec it was an intense fight another sec it was a fluffy flashback, which direction are you going to lead me to you've literally torn my heaaaaarrttt

Absolutely loved the OP, DOES sure is a perfect fuel for the epicness. But the ED seriously hooked me up, I literally had tears in my eyes, it's just amazing to see how much they've grown up...

And I can't help but thinking about OkiKagu during the sibling quarrel--I mean, Okita indirectly helping Kagura in this fight, yeah? Lol I'm sorry but my shipper soul just can't help but taking over my instinct at that point
Jan 6, 2016 7:35 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Idk, I'm not really fangasming over this tbh. I mean for a serious Gintama arc it's good but it doesn't exactly blow me away either

Still prefer the regular comedy episodes
Jan 6, 2016 7:45 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The OP was really good ... but the visuals are disappointing, its mostly reused scenes. :c
The ED is surprisingly good too !
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 6, 2016 7:50 AM
Nov 2010
The opening/ending are kinda what I expected.

The flashbacks were pretty interesting, and so are the fighting scenes. I wonder how this will proceed.
Jan 6, 2016 7:56 AM

Oct 2012
Love Kagura and those flashbacks but damn how could they end it like this. I'm so tempted to read manga now.
Jan 6, 2016 7:57 AM

Nov 2015
OMG... Awesome Epiosde .... and the best part is that the flashback is revealed.....after 304 episodes.. the fight between kagura and kamui (not shown much though) .. and also gintoki v takasugi... just no words to explain... Great animation(as usual) ... and yet another cliffhanger at the end of the episode... eagerly waiting for next week's episode..!!!
Idiots in their own idiotic way have their own Idiotic worries!!!!
Jan 6, 2016 8:00 AM

Feb 2012
"Doubt yourself, lose your way" TOO GOOD.
Also, the animation was amazinngg
Jan 6, 2016 8:27 AM

May 2015
KannaAyasaki said:
Holy shit what the hell are they doing, how could they toying with my feeling like this, one sec it was an intense fight another sec it was a fluffy flashback, which direction are you going to lead me to you've literally torn my heaaaaarrttt

Absolutely loved the OP, DOES sure is a perfect fuel for the epicness. But the ED seriously hooked me up, I literally had tears in my eyes, it's just amazing to see how much they've grown up...

And I can't help but thinking about OkiKagu during the sibling quarrel--I mean, Okita indirectly helping Kagura in this fight, yeah? Lol I'm sorry but my shipper soul just can't help but taking over my instinct at that point

Sometimes our Okikagu shipper soul just takes over ^_^ I have this same problem xD
Jan 6, 2016 8:33 AM

Dec 2015
basabeo said:
"Doubt yourself, lose your way" TOO GOOD.
Also, the animation was amazinngg

Shouyou-sensei's just too perfect to be true so they killed him, damn you sorachi T__T
Jan 6, 2016 8:37 AM

Sep 2014
More shoyo sensei = more feels. Such a wise man. The true definition of a "master".

It's cool to see the younger versions of the 3 samurai and to know more of their backgrounds. Now after 300+ episodes everything makes absolute sense. From Katsura being a prodigious to Gintoki's martyr nature to Takasugi social resentment.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

253 by Gentoki01 »»
Yesterday, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

252 by sno0pcatt »»
May 4, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.