Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 16, 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
This stage of the exam has dungeon crawler tropes. I guess it tests not just the physical demands for the examinees but also their mental capability as well, given the unknown dangers that await them.

Pretty exciting episode imo. It had a psychological feeling and magical action we see in some of the previous episodes.

The exam has been a tough and this next stage pushes the boundaries again.
Feb 16, 6:28 AM

May 2020
Being the breather last episode was, they didn’t waste even a second this time before jumping to the know-hows of this second exam. Liked how this time everyone’s on their own, I mean at the end of the day, you just have to reach the innermost point of this dungeon, which might sound very damn easy to the ears, but is actually quite an impossible feat.

Sense looking as apathetic about the lives of these people despite claiming herself as a pacifist tells a lot about her and this test, but hey she did give them those golems, who would escape them to leave, so, she might actually care a bit lol. That equaling disqualification aside, I’m liking how these people have started taking notice of Frieren after what she did with the barrier in the first stage exam.

Frieren still going strong with her hobby despite being in the middle of a life and death exam was something lol. Anwyas, Gargoyles weren’t the only threats this exam had in addition to countless traps and all, I mean when you’d have to fight “yourself”, the bar just raises a level above.

Very neat action scenes as usual, however little and few they were, but I’m looking forward to Denken fighting against Frieren clone. It’s a rematch, he never knew he needed lol.

And thus was born the famous meme
Softhenic03Feb 16, 6:33 AM
Feb 16, 6:29 AM

Dec 2021
A mimic scene in the present for once. It's all about giving the people exactly what they want.

The second stage of the First Class Mage Exam was prepared by the examiner Sense. Prior to the start of the exam, Sense equips all participants with a golem stored in a glass bottle, a precautionary measure in case of any difficulties. Just as Fern and Frieren are gearing up to enter the dungeon, they are unexpectedly joined by Sense, who opts to accompany them. The condition for passing was reaching the deepest part of the the Ruins of the King's Tomb.

Himmel's dungeon approach feels like something straight out of an RPG, And the reason behind Frieren's past encounter with the mimic finally makes sense—it's not just because she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but also because of her greed and lack of foresight. Himmel seems like a stand-up guy, and the more we learn about him, the more I wish we could experience more of their journey together. Fern's devotion to protecting Frieren's happiness really shines through.

But thinking about Frieren as a potential final boss? That's a scary thought.

Feb 16, 6:50 AM

Nov 2010
  • While Frieren and Fern were doing silly fights with mimics, Denken's team showed us a tense fight. Especially, Methode looked cool.
  • "Denken, can you handle that too?" If you put the sight in a word, it's 'despair'.
Incidentally, in the manga, the fight with the gargoyles was depicted in one frame. The very person who was amazed by the fight scene must be the author himself.
kuroneko99Feb 19, 9:36 PM
Feb 16, 7:26 AM
Sep 2015
Suggesting Denken to quickly find a mimic to defeat Frieren LOL

By the way, this episode is simply elegant. This dungeon is also simple and elegant.
Feb 16, 7:31 AM

Apr 2010
That cliffhanger suggests something epic.

Still the mimic jokes where expected Frieren was enjoying herself tho which was nice.
I also wonder what the others are dealing with right now but the focus was on only 2 groups.
Feb 16, 7:37 AM
Jul 2023
The funnest episode so far.

Frieren can’t never escape the allure of mimics.
Feb 16, 7:59 AM

Feb 2021
3:35 Lernen is learn, study

9:06 *Frieren when she hears the word "grimoire"*. I really hope people will use this in memes lol

11:33 LMAO Frieren with the mimic XD. She's reacting exactly like Mendo from Urusei Yatsura. This is probably the most emotion we've heard in her voice so far.

Frieren not having good fight animation challenge (impossible). Seriously, it's so consistently good.
I'm surprised that Frieren doesn't have magic that can instantly dry your hair
15:28 Frieren-ojou-sama!

She's like a rpg player who collects anything and everything on her way lol (totally not me in Terraria)
Ohhhh, the clones are really cool!
20:52 Bro I just saw this manga panel today and thought that I spoiled myself that Laufen will die in this arc. Thank god.

...oh god, Frieren's clone will be an absolute monster. Genuinely horrifying.
I'm so excited for this arc
Feb 16, 8:11 AM

Mar 2021
Great episode Frieren just can't resist those Mimics am so looking forward to seeing how Denken gets on against the Frieren copy
Feb 16, 8:12 AM
Apr 2021
what is important to this series is BGM, every scene iconic more than expectations for manga reader in this anime.

in the end this episode, reveal last boss to the pass the labyrint is frieren clone more than expectations and very nice, make me shiver

art, scene action fight and bgm 100/11

Feb 16, 8:15 AM

Mar 2019
My favorite part of this entire arc finally arrives. The clones. Damn that cliffhanger made me hella excited, even though I already know what's going to happen.

We are yet to see so many clones, including the Fern one. Next week is gonna be banger after banger.
Feb 16, 8:17 AM

Apr 2022
Where's the best boy Stark's screentime? Not today :( At least the episode was really good. We learned a way to get Frieren out of a mimic, and finished on a cliffhanger that will torment me the whole week. Greeat.
Feb 16, 8:20 AM

Sep 2013
Denken and his group are about to fight the final boss of the dungeon lol
Feb 16, 8:21 AM
Oct 2016
*Epic Boss Music Start*
Feb 16, 8:23 AM

Jul 2016

The dungeon really just rewarded Denkin for making the most sensible plays possible with throwing him the final boss on nightmare difficulty. The absolute presence exuded by that Frieren clone is unreal.

Also, my first instinct to Ehre getting binded by Wirbel's spell was thinking Ubel was up to some murderous shenadigans for the hell of it, but clones are cool too.
FarCriticalFeb 16, 11:40 AM
Feb 16, 8:26 AM

Oct 2017
It's dark, it's scary. Shuutarou Mendou reference?

Frieren keep falling for mimics will never be not funny to me. Himmel's the type to 100% a game, going through every nook and cranny. Cool action scenes again but here comes the final boss, Frieren's clone. Boy they are in for trouble.
Feb 16, 8:27 AM

Dec 2022
that was a pleasant surprise also denken saying "if it weren't an exam he would break his bottle" made me giggle also do they randomly fight copies of other adventures is seems like its random

and i was right the examiner is a pacifist

also himmel was a real gamer i also explore the entire dungeon before entering the boss floor and frieren still checking also gave me major gaming memories like i cheked every chest i still do now and grab everything no matter how useless

also what's with the amount of labyrinth this season
Feb 16, 8:27 AM
Oct 2019
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL EPISODE, this ending left me with goosebumps, but the whole episode was good, from the mimic to Himmel wanting to explore the whole dungeon
Feb 16, 8:28 AM

Dec 2022
Reply to AlluringProxima
AlluringProxima said:

she is stronger than the final boss

imaging getting killed by the mud clone you summoned
Feb 16, 8:31 AM
May 2021
Good ep, really liking this arc so far build-up is defo up there!
Feb 16, 8:37 AM
Feb 2022
Atsumi Tanezaki, the Japanese voice actress for Frieren, expressed the view that "Frieren deliberately allowing herself to be eaten by a mimic is probably because she was taught by Himmel that 'adventure is all about enjoying yourself.'"
I agree.
Feb 16, 8:39 AM
Nov 2017
You're done GGS LOL
Feb 16, 8:45 AM

Jul 2011
I felt that Sense had the best day in while, following Frieren and Fern. Explore a dungeon, have stories about Frieren's adventures being told by Frieren, walk with people chill as her.

DM choosing Frieren as the last boss.
Feb 16, 8:46 AM

Jul 2012
Wonder whose clone Frieren will fight. Sense and/or Fern seem the most likely.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Feb 16, 8:47 AM

Jun 2017
Great episode! That cliffhanger omgggg
Feb 16, 8:48 AM

Jan 2009
oh shit they are fighting their perfect clones and bad news for denkens group they are against the clone of frieren
Feb 16, 8:52 AM

Jul 2017
Really good episode, flew by really quickly as a whole and I loved the cliffhanger with Denken's group having a faceoff with a replica of Frieren for some reason. It's interesting, ominous and has me curious as to how they will battle someone who is as strong as capable as she is in replica form, genuine final boss level vibes there. The dungeon itself looks interesting too and well-detailed overall, with a nice mix of skills needed to be able to get to the bottom. Frieren exploring dungeon items does give it a fun feeling like playing a video game of sorts, even willing to get caught by mimic traps as usual for the very small chances of obtaining more grimoires. The dungeon itself shows plenty of danger with its traps, monster and even psychological elements like having to battle replica versions of yourselves or your teammates potentially, meaning that teamwork and determination is also needed to navigate through a pretty simple yet brutal area. The cliffhanger in particular made the episode as a whole feel even more exciting and serve as good buildup for what's to come next. Animation was excellent as usual in the action scenes that took place here and there throughout the episode. For a buildup episode and the intro to this new test, this was pretty interesting already so the stuff to come next can only be excellent stuff. Already was more engaging than the start of the first test.
Feb 16, 8:52 AM
Apr 2018
aint no way they are going to fight perfect clone of frieren
Feb 16, 9:01 AM

Jan 2022
Sousou no Frieren Episode 23

- Sense is cute and sensible.

- What is going on with these two?

- Them talking that no person who passed the exam easily falls into traps as simple as mimics, then there's Frieren.

- Frieren with curly hair

- Sense rethinking the choice she made.

- Himmel taught Frieren the beauty of journeying and finding happiness in adventure, exploration, and helping others. And Frieren's obsession with grimoires, which oftentimes leads her to the mouth of mimics.

- Poor Fern experienced a lot of hardships since she was a kid. Glad that she found happiness together with Frieren.

- More cute Frieren doing cute things.

- Out of all the replicas they can encounter, why Frieren??? I feel bad for Denken and his party.

memori01Feb 16, 9:04 AM
Feb 16, 9:06 AM

Oct 2018
Jesus, Frieren has become a Dark Souls boss
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Feb 16, 9:07 AM
Mar 2019
The hype levels at the end of the episode are off the charts! They can probably handle it though, since it is most likely nerfed (hidden) Frieren.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Feb 16, 9:12 AM

Dec 2013
Damn, that ending scene gave me goosebumps. The music was so fitting! Well done!

Feb 16, 9:15 AM
Aug 2020
incredible episode, cant wait for the next one
Feb 16, 9:22 AM

Jan 2018
As a JRPG enjoyer, I agree with Himmel. Exploring a floor completely before moving on to the next floor is the most fun.

Bruh. Frieren temporarily became like Mendo when she got caught by the mimic the first time.

Denken was right. If everyone worked together they could've beaten the dungeon easily. But I guess some wizards are too young and bashful to listen.

Denken fighting a clone of Frieren as a boss is so fucking exciting. Bro got PTSD from his last fight so I wonder how this will go. Very excited for the next episode.
0451Feb 16, 9:21 PM
Feb 16, 9:25 AM
Nov 2023
Who did you think the Final Boss of the Dungeon would be?
As it turns out...
Feb 16, 9:25 AM
Oct 2023
NEED MOOOOOORE !!! AHHHHH THE CLIFFHANGER !!!!
Feb 16, 9:26 AM

Mar 2023
Gotta enjoy those detours in dungeons. As Himmel said, you can't rush a dungeon, I like to do the same and explore it to the full the first time.
Mimics, yes and even with 1% chance, Frieren can't help herself to open every mimic, because what if she misses a treasure.

Those clones are scary. The only upside to the Frieren clone, is that maybe it can't copy the total amount of mana.
Feb 16, 9:26 AM

Feb 2013
Well, I guess they'll just have to do their best to survive until the real Frieren shows up... would be interesting if someone uses their golem only for fake Frieren to one-shot it with ordinary offensive magic 🙃
MarenwynnFeb 16, 7:18 PM
Feb 16, 9:30 AM
Oct 2008
You are as beautiful as the day i lost you, Mimic-san.

Feb 16, 9:35 AM
Mar 2015
no matter how many times you see Frieren fall for the mimic it is always funny
Feb 16, 9:45 AM

Jul 2012
Frieren's enjoying the dungeon just like Himmel showed her. Everyone's serious but she's just having fun lol.
Feb 16, 9:46 AM
Apr 2020
The second part of the First Class Mage Exam has began. Frieren's party is clearing the dungeon with relative ease so far but perhaps they will encounter challenges later on. Frieren's clone against Denken's party is looking to be another promising battle so looking forward to next week's episode.
Feb 16, 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
I'm really rooting for Denken to become a first class mage. He got this.
Feb 16, 9:51 AM
Apr 2021
amazing animation as always, was very happy seeing frieren smile after the Himel flashback and the frame where both Fern and the examinator were both smilling was cute as hell

also i both love and hate these cliff hangers, 4vs1 against a copy of frieren, part of me wants them to go rly hard and suceed while saying they were only able to take it down cause of teamwork but also i love power fantasy, seeing the copy win against them like they dont even stand a chance would be such a flex
Feb 16, 9:52 AM
Nov 2022
What a good episode, I didn't expect them to show so much of the second test, I thought they would take longer explaining what it consists of ._.

FRIEREN FALLING INTO THE TRAP OF A MIMIC, LET'S FUCK GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The exact copies of each sorcerer are very cheated, whoever conjured them must be very powerful.
Feb 16, 9:57 AM
Mar 2018
Reply to Aminho
what is important to this series is BGM, every scene iconic more than expectations for manga reader in this anime.

in the end this episode, reveal last boss to the pass the labyrint is frieren clone more than expectations and very nice, make me shiver

art, scene action fight and bgm 100/11

@Aminho Taking photos of laptop's screen lmao

Feb 16, 10:01 AM

Nov 2023
Encountering Frieren's clone is the biggest unfortunate event to happen to Denken's group.

I'm hyped for the fight in the next episode.
Feb 16, 10:07 AM

Apr 2018
Denken’s squad is cooked
Feb 16, 10:11 AM
Feb 2024
I love that Frieren fell for a mimic right off the bat 😂 what kind of dungeon raid would it be if she didn’t?
This new test is really cool, actually. It’s a race, but it also tests the way you think, how effective the methods you use are, and how well you’re able to work as a team. This is a really solid test.
On another note, I want to take Frieren to a thrift store, I think she would thrive there. That, or I’d never be able to find her again 😂. The golems are actually really cool. I’ve never seen them portrayed like that, that’s fascinating. Do you think they’re always used like that? Or are they under a spell? The gargoyles are exactly how I imaged they were, in any rate. The animation was gorgeous as always.
Feb 16, 10:14 AM

May 2019
Another great episode with dungeon exploration. I was waiting on something that would make this dungeon challenging and seeing Frieren's clone at the end there, that's definitely a challenge. I would be surprised if everyone in Denken's group survives this encounter.

Meanwhile Frieren getting trapped by mimics lol. I liked her rationalization about the 1% chance of getting a rare grimoire haha.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dub

Cutie-Kun - 4 hours ago

20 by MadanielFL »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » is fanservice the reason why this is highly rated?

FruitPunchBaka - 6 hours ago

33 by MadanielFL »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2023

435 by highlightxii »»
28 minutes ago

» The person who helped stop a knife attack on the Taichung Metro in Taiwan said he helped because "Himmel would have done the same". ( 1 2 )

StevieRara - Jun 4

86 by StyxParadise »»
1 hour ago

» Frieren is now the TOP RANKED anime in ALL major western anime ranking websites (MAL, Anilist, LiveChart, Anime-Planet, Kitsu, aniDB, and ANN). Unprecedented achievement! ( 1 2 3 )

kanarazukarasu - Jun 4

130 by StyxParadise »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.