Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 22, 2020 4:54 AM

Mar 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode available on AT-X
I quite liked this anime, it talked about lots of issues in our society, I regret that it didnt talk about very important topics such as agressive animals attacking innocent people in the street and focused on pretty useless subjects sometimes. Animals are a serious concern compared to gang fights, me VS a goose is scarier than all this red angels fights, at least it ends well
Also Makot is a bad character he's always being lazy and hanging out in the city, how unprofessional. Also I didnt read or watch the original but this felt a bit rushed sometimes
I looked like this when I was younger, the good old times
RingareDec 22, 2020 5:33 AM
Dec 22, 2020 4:58 AM

Jul 2017
The final showdown: the G-Boys vs. the Red Angels. There's no room to spare for pleasantries in this civil war, and Makoto's on full guard as the bloodied massacre gets worse by the minute, and if spotted by police through location tracking, could see this end in tragedy.

Luckily for the runaway troubleshooter, there are some reliable buddies behind his back (those that still support Takashi), and he can only trust in their help. It shouldn't be a surprise that the Kyougoukai Kansai group is the main culprit-cum-benefactor, and their use of firearms and drugs amongst people they can use and manipulate to their will. And it seems to confirm the suspicion that there was a rat in Ikebukuro supporting the Kansai yazuka group and backstabbing Makoto, all at the same time.

Turns out the rat has been Isogai all along, and what a player to have deceited both gangs. Maybe if you've been very careful, Makoto...things would've turned out differently. But a life of revenge in trade for hell, nothing's ever gonna turn out well.

The conflict between both rival gangs is inevitable. and both leaders get the fight starting...but before the rest do, the secret gets revealed by the perfect plan of a fake death from the troubleshooter, and both him and his superior get what they deserved.

If "all's well that ends well", none of that exists in Ikebukuro. A perfect "Romeo and Juliet" style incident (of King's near-deaths) that just makes for an intriguing ending of gangs disbanding and reconciliation of the city's image.

Another OK show...
KANLen09Dec 22, 2020 9:14 AM
Dec 22, 2020 5:27 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Makoto's strategy was very dangerous, but he still managed to replace the gun, well deserved for Isogai.
And fortunately Takashi didn't die, it would be weird for him to have been killed by a 8 yo girl (xD)
Well this anime really doesn't make me want to go to Ikebukuro, I feel like I would be killed.
But overall the episodic format quite fit this anime and with all these social subjects it actually felt refreshing.
Dec 22, 2020 5:31 AM

Jun 2012
OK ending to a OK show. The books and TV Drama where more entertaining.
Dec 22, 2020 5:49 AM

Sep 2019
Is King immortal? He got shot, they hospitalized him and he got stabbed a day later or on the day that he got hospitalized. That must be why he is the "King" I guess.

I didn't like IWGP except the last few episodes, I enjoyed those episodes even though they were weird and predictable. The animation was okay from time to time (it was mostly bad). Sorry Doga Kobo, this was a bad show. 3/10.
Dec 22, 2020 5:58 AM

Oct 2017
Well a happy end, glad Takashi survived. Lol Red Angels disbanded I mean ofc with dumb brats like that their group wouldn't go far anyway. Life goes on and this anime ends.

I guess this was a decent anime overall but nothing worth remembering. Proly gonna forget about it sooner or later.
Dec 22, 2020 6:02 AM

Feb 2020
Uhh...Just an OK ending.
At least the OP&EDs are bangers,the plot is fine, 6/10 for me.
Dec 22, 2020 6:12 AM
Oct 2016
Ikebukuro does have lots of different kinds of people living in it. The war between the Red Angels and G Boys has been settled about as good as one could imagine. Makoto found the snake and snuffed him out. Who'd have thought the meek Isogai would be planning all this backstabbing. Makoto had to go through hell to fix this messed up situation but I'm glad he got things done with as minimal bloodshed as possible. This series was one I decided to watch because for one there's not many anime out there about gangs like this, crime isn't rampant in Japan so its not a constant topic, and for second I wanted to see Doga Kobo go outside their usual story archetype. I'd say they had middling success with this show. While I definitely enjoyed the some of the episodes like the Civil War arc and this last Sunshine Street arc along with the episodes that had Gou in them. But some of the others like the one with the YouTube guy, the brother and sister, and the murder mystery were kinda just ok. Definitely wish the shoe focused more on the G Boys as a whole and Makoto place in them instead of his own episodic type stuff. But we got what we got. Certainly enjoyable at times but nothing exceptional.

78/100
Dec 22, 2020 6:21 AM
May 2015
Okay ending, 7/10 overall. This episode gave me an emotional rollercoaster by trying to kill King twice via getting shot and then being stabbed. What is his body made of? Isogai's motive for starting mass murder because he was bullied was ridiculous, even if those things happen in real life (see: American school kids having access to machine guns and pistols as Kyouichi mentioned, lmao). I wonder who that guy was at the end? probably not important as it doesn't seem like this show is getting a s2, so it might've been showing that makoto's continuing his job as the g-boys informant.
Dec 22, 2020 6:29 AM

Mar 2012
Someone was killed, we don't know the culprit but lets just attack anyone and everyone even normal citizens wearing blue or red and children as well. I've never liked gangs so the last two episodes were just horrible to watch. I only watched this because the serious took up some real issues in some of the episodes. Overall 5/10.
Dec 22, 2020 6:36 AM
Sep 2015
I want to see more of this. I'm wondering if the guy at the end will lead to a sequel, or he just want to talk to Makoto about his story and ask a permission to be written in the book and adaptation.
Dec 22, 2020 6:53 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, what can I say? I was really looking forward to this a lot since the announcement and even with the delay from the Summer to Fall seasons, my anticipation didn't waver. But it turned out to be just fine, I suppose, and hence definitely disappointed.

A really predictable episode on many fronts. That's not to say it was bad though, some of the action scenes were pretty cool to watch and that was some speech there from the MC. But well, all is done and dusted now. I imagine the gangs will have a harder time doing their usual business due to the attention they received through this incident but that too is just another day at nice ol' Ikebukuro lol.

Going to miss the Op though, especially the start of the track. Used it to great effect, did Doga Koba. And again, the animation front was handled really well. Episodic nature turned out to be a hit and miss ultimately but there were a few good episodes so I'll leave it at a 6/10 here.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 22, 2020 6:54 AM

Feb 2019
I'll never understand why this anime has a romance tag
Dec 22, 2020 7:16 AM
Jul 2020
one of the underrated anime but has good story line. it deserves more recognition. the ending was good. the plot twist was unexpected af. after watching this anime, everyone will have trust issues.
Dec 22, 2020 7:30 AM
Jul 2020
Best episode so far sadly no romance.. its a 10/10 for me
Dec 22, 2020 8:10 AM

Apr 2020
IWGP ends off very decently. Isogai's betrayal has been revealed to both of the gangs and he is apprehended along with his Kansai higher-ups. Makoto with that powerful (cliche) speech at the front of everybody and gatdamn that was really nice. The King Takashi coming back with those wounds and he just really let that kid stabbed him in his front, really weird and fucked up, I shall say. Well at least Makoto is not inheriting the G-Boys yet while the Red Angels disband and our boi Kyouichi finding a place to live and move on.

IWGP was supposed to air back in Summer and I was also anticipating it way back then but push came to shove and instead it aired in Fall. It was above-average in my opinion. The episodic format throughout most of the show is hit and miss, but it did tell some pretty good real-life situations and problems that's going on to Ikebukuro. Even though it was not a great show and an adaptation, it was kinda enjoyable. And of course I will never forget that BANGER OP BY THE PINBALLS (TOP 5 OF THE YEAR) and those very groovy and enjoyable ED's by INNOSENT in FORMAL. So I'll rate it either 6 or 7, nice anime we got eh.
Dec 22, 2020 8:46 AM

Mar 2020
A Isogai, your face was lovely when you realized you got played.

Glad Takashi made it out ok, god he went threw a lot these past two episodes.

Ikebukuro...a location where nothing is perfect...however Makoto will always strive to make Ikebukuro a better place for everyone! A joy watching ya tackle each and every situation you came across Makoto!

Final score 5.7/10 > 6/10
made by Nate
Dec 22, 2020 9:03 AM
Apr 2015
Glordit said:
OK ending to a OK show. The books and TV Drama where more entertaining.

The books don't differ much of anime
Its also episodic system
Dec 22, 2020 9:47 AM
Sep 2020
Where the romance genre?
Dec 22, 2020 9:48 AM
Sep 2020
Where the romance scene?
Dec 22, 2020 10:27 AM

Jul 2015
Underrated anime, whatever people will say i give it a 10. It is different , sometimes not going on a typical set up can make it seem not worth it. But i liked how they put the story together. 10/10 would watch again.
Dec 22, 2020 11:56 AM

May 2018
I enjoyed it! 8/10 for me.

►"The deeper the darkness the more dazzling the light shines." ◄
►"As you live you lose reasons and hope. But as you keep on going, you pick up new reasons and hope."◄
►"If I don’t stand up here… If I don’t reach higher here… When am I ever going to do it?"◄
Dec 22, 2020 12:08 PM

Apr 2015
King is one hell of a beast, gets shot multiple times and then when he's back on his feet again, he gets stabbed and still being alive.

Makoto outplayed Isogai so hard, that was satisfying.

Honestly, the last two episodes made the show better as a whole, it was an ok watch for me though. 6/10
Dec 22, 2020 12:14 PM

Apr 2017
Not bad since most of 2020 anime's are mediocre
if you want similar but greater anime watch Durarara
It got better characters more complicated plot
and not cringey cliche protagonist
Dec 22, 2020 12:40 PM

Jun 2014
The synopsis of this show was very misleading so on that front, it was quite disappointing. I thought Makoto would lose a loved one and then the show would primarily focus on gang violence and how Makoto would try stopping it, but instead we got a "PSA of the week" type thing. A couple episodes in the middle of the anime and these final 2 episodes were probably the closest we got to anything mentioned in the synopsis, other than that, most of this show was forgettable.

As for the finale itself, Isogai got exposed for the piece of crap he is, everything ended before it escalated too far, and thankfully King wasn't killed by a damn child lol. Decent finale but the show as a whole wasn't anything too great unfortunately. And for the love of god can that romance tag in the genre please be removed lol.
thebrentinator24Dec 22, 2020 12:44 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 22, 2020 12:49 PM

Nov 2019
Yokatta, Takashi survived. I was holding my breath while watching, scared that King will die. He is my favorite one.
I enjoyed it.
Dec 22, 2020 1:42 PM

May 2018
Not bad ending. Lol only 1 person died throughout the whole gang war xD
Dec 22, 2020 1:43 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Okay. So, thats it! As expected from Makoto that could overcome the difficult situations. Happy end as its best. The executions somehow were still lacking its better impact. Its felt flat, and rather too boring. I thought something serious might be happened, like Takashi real death or something. That kid, tho. Idk why, they are using her little appearance to be like that. Trying to get an emotional nuances? Well, try harder next time! They even not using Shadow in these last episode. Such a shame. Afterall, nothing much i can say about the story itself. Its just fine as its best, nothing unique became a great differenciate over their final moment.
Once again, like i said before, happy end as its best.
6/10 from my honest opinion. Its actually 5, but i add plus 1 point because the ost sounds nice at my understanding. Thats it!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 22, 2020 2:25 PM

May 2019
The anime was OK overall but at least these last two episodes were entertaining. The story was too episodic for my taste and Makoto got the whole spotlight while some other interesting characters like the goth computer guy, Shadow, and Guo were ignored. Kyouichi and Takashi are supposed to be mains but they felt like side characters.

A good thing was the character designs and man, the characters' fashion was on point. Especially Kyouichi and Hiroto.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Dec 22, 2020 2:33 PM

Mar 2018
final episode was great but i was expecting the main fight to last a little longer. i liked isogai too smh why did he have to be a bad guy. King the mad lad let himself get stabbed, wouldn't have been the same g-boys without him. And thank god for the cliff hanger now i know that there's more on the way.

I know for a FACT that this show flew under the radar for the majority this season and it makes me sad. I and I'm guessing you guys needed something like this show to watch in between the other amazing shows out rn but i ended up looking forward to this just as much as the others if not more.
Dec 22, 2020 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
tbh this show was kinda bad, felt really rushed and characters acted pretty retarded at times but at least the ending was alright. also, judging from that ending, potentially a season 2..?
Dec 22, 2020 3:27 PM

Nov 2014
nanimeanswhat said:

A good thing was the character designs and man, the characters' fashion was on point. Especially Kyouichi and Hiroto.

i have to agree, Kyouichi looked pretty dope.
Dec 22, 2020 4:04 PM

Apr 2019
Well, yet another painfully average anime. Episodic for the most part with only two multiple episode arcs. The character design and fashion was on point. The ending made up for the somewhat mundane episodes.

4-5/10.

Dec 22, 2020 4:07 PM

Jul 2017
Haaaaaaa?????

this episode just made it clear that the whole situation is basically aldnoah.0 2.0. Everybody fighting to the death but all it takes is just putting the blame on one guy and disposing of him for everyone to forgive and forget lmao. And I don't really buy painting Isogai as a bad guy in the first place. oh right, because he's not idealistic, I see

tbh idealistic is what ruined this show imo, too many times the outcome of the situation always ended up with a happily ever after (except mayyyybe the mother having to sorta abandon her kid). Didn't help that the lord and savior Makoto had some bullshit ideals at times and made Kirito look weak in comparison with the levels of jesus-kun he had going on.

but the OP was an absolute banger though

why the fuck is there still the romance tag?/10
Dec 22, 2020 4:38 PM
Mar 2020
Zwamdurkel said:
I'll never understand why this anime has a romance tag

Right? lol

I enjoyed the show. It could have been much better but I agree with another poster that the topics the show touched on were refreshing. 7/10. Would have been lower if Takashi or Makoto died.
Dec 22, 2020 4:53 PM

Sep 2017
With the power of friendship we can stop all gang violence. Also not a single mother fucker used a gun in that big "gang war."
Dec 22, 2020 5:02 PM
Nov 2020
Despite what the majority say against this show, I still like it and hope that a season 2 comes out. I'm glad I gave this one a chance because I was initially reluctant when I saw the cover art showing a group of dudes (because usually that means it is catering to a certain demographic which I'm not part of lol). Luckily, the show synopsis got me curious so I rolled with it and 12 episodes later, I need more! (With the somewhat abrupt, open-ended conclusion of the finale, I'm hoping this leads to another season!)

That was a really powerful scene near the end when Takashi took the stab from the little girl like a boss (literally). Lots of interesting topics covered in the show also, such as exploitation of immigrant workers and single moms. And then you have gang relations and other shady stuff going on in the underworld. The OP and ED were awesome also so I gotta search them up and add to my playlist.

Any other titles that are similar to this? (I've seen GTO, both anime and manga).
Dec 22, 2020 5:03 PM

Jan 2012
It was fun for the most part. I had a lot of problems with the anime overall but the last 2 episodes were more enjoyable. Felt very rushed at the end with the ending being given by narration. Not bad, not good imo.
Dec 22, 2020 5:24 PM

May 2019
Overall a decent anime, the pacing was alright and the characters were unique and interesting. The themes stagnated quite often, however.

7/10

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Dec 22, 2020 6:05 PM

Dec 2016
I really liked this anime, even with predictability in last episodes or in some of the outcomes... but definitely enjoyed more "episodic" episodes with real issue and not "war gangs".

solidss said:

if you want similar but greater anime watch Durarara

Funny you said that because Durarara was heavily inspired by IWGP TV series.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.99/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.170/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.91/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.67/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.56/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Dec 22, 2020 6:55 PM
Apr 2020
I think it's not fair that Isogai only received a kick from Kyouichi, he should receive more. lol

Ikebukuro is peaceful again!

Makoto and Takashi's friendship is great, always there to help each other. Takashi is looking for Makoto the moment he woke up, and is willing to go to war against Red Angels for Makoto and the G-Boys ofc. Is this the romance part? lol

I'm about to cry in the end coz I thought Takashi died, reminded me of Ash Lynx (but he's not dead in the official website), good thing he's a tough cookie and recuperating, deserves the title "King."

I really enjoyed watching this anime, one of the anime this season that I'm looking forward every week and not feeling like doing a chore while watching it. It would be nice if this would get a 2nd season and tackle even more issues of the society and the romance part as well, someone said Makoto had an ex-gf.

For me, this is a great anime: 9/10.

Dec 22, 2020 7:02 PM

Oct 2016
For a second there I though Makoto legit died, Takashi too. What is Takashi made out of lmao, I guess the G-boys and Red Angels have now merged. Would have been nice if they involved Shadow in this finale.

Honestly that was a good ending but, overall it's just an ok show though it was still pretty enjoyable. 7/10
Dec 22, 2020 9:53 PM

Jul 2016
Isogai about to instigate an entire massacre between meatheads only because he was bullied at school...

Also, King please. Multiple gunshots at short range and one stab in the side? Man... you are way too op. By the way, gotta love how a child ran through a multitude of "gangsters" and nobody thought of intercepting her.

Overall, pretty bad series and probably the lamest depiction of gang wars I have seen. Members of both G-Boys and Red Angels were portrayed as mere brainless idiots and the writing was painfully predictable for most of the time. I like Doga Kobo as studio but sometimes, I seriously think they should only stick to their usual SoL/CGDCT kind of shows. Koisuru Asteroid; Houkago Teibou Nisshi and especially Maoujou de Oyasumi from this exact same season were really nice whilst this series and Yesterday wo Utatte are among the worst ones of this year in my opinion.

3/10
SouthRzVaDec 22, 2020 9:59 PM
Dec 22, 2020 9:55 PM
Dec 2016
it was pretty enjoyable as a weekly show. that ending was OK I think, but I agree that Makoto becomes the center for every episode. Maybe it will more entertaining to explore other character perspective but we already have the show for that right :p (re: durara) (^^)V
Dec 22, 2020 10:58 PM

Mar 2012
Wtf are the reviews calling this a 1 or 2 out of 10. It's definitely not the best but this is nowhere near "bottom of the barrel".
Dec 23, 2020 12:07 AM
Sep 2020
This is actually my favourite airing anime. Well it’s over now and I give it a 10. I don’t usually give a lot of tens but this show was different. I enjoy shows that don’t focus on one thing and are able to just entertain us with whatever. I honestly wish there were more anime’s like this :( ❤️
Dec 23, 2020 6:42 AM
Apr 2020
All's well that ends well. That's all I have to say to the ending.

It was an okay anime overall. The last ep was the most entertaining. 7/10 overall

I'm still finding why is there a romance genre in this even though it was not at all
Dec 23, 2020 11:18 AM
Nov 2017
Ok ... someone who saw Dorama, can explain what happened or what was not told in the ep, what exactly happened to the Red Angels? their leader left, but did they go to the G-Boys or continue their normal lives?
Dec 23, 2020 10:16 PM
Mar 2020
There are some people saying this anime is 8/10, 9/10 and even 10/10 i ask them HOW? i didn't understand how they enjoy this nime that much but what they said
Dec 24, 2020 12:10 AM

Dec 2016
In the end it had nothing to do with its synopsis ( ̄▽ ̄)

I was OK with King dying but then he survived even after getting shot multiple times and then getting stabbed... 'Ω'

Overall it was enjoyable. It was an anime good for passing time, so I don't mind if it gets a sequel that actually goes with the synopsis given.

I'll give it 7/10.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why are the ratings so low?

st3pn - Oct 23, 2020

14 by TomokiNakagawa »»
Jun 9, 2:18 PM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2020

37 by Feary7 »»
Dec 24, 2023 9:17 AM

» I've heard the drama is a better adapatation of the novel. Are there any viewers of it out here ?

clomapni - Dec 22, 2020

6 by neonkirsche »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:52 PM

» live action IWGP

removed-user - Dec 8, 2019

17 by mdo7 »»
Nov 7, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Ikebukuro West Gate Park Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2020

147 by Rithic »»
Aug 31, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.