Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 3, 2023 9:10 PM

Jan 2021
I do kind of wish I was well versed in literature and folklore so that I could understand a lot better who these people are. I know what Sherlock Holmes and Watson can do, and I've even heard of Lupin and the Phantom of the Opera, but I don't really feel the impact or the weight of the names if that makes any sense.

Anime based on old European literature, while not my favorite, are still things that I get really excited about.

Aug 3, 2023 10:06 PM
Jul 2020
auroraloose said:
That was a loredump so massive the resulting semiotic black hole is going to sphagettify the plot. Throwing everybody genre-adjacent you can think of into the thing is a mess, not a setting. At most all it does is distract from the fat lot of nothing the show has done the past four episodes.

But such is the detective genre; ironic and hilarious Holmes is the face of literary autolobotomization. Even the Holmes banter was trite. Well, maybe Miss Severed Head will put him in his place, and the show will return to focusing on its main characters, which are its true strength. It does seem like it's planning to unleash Aya and Tsugaru next episode. Good; that's what this thing needs if it's going to save itself.

Damn, you really are dead set on hating this show, my friend.

Be honest, though:

This Sherlock Holmes is pretty much the single most accurate depiction of him in any anime.

Which is pretty damn cool.
Aug 3, 2023 10:10 PM

Feb 2021
New cases again :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 4, 2023 4:56 AM

Mar 2008
Swole_Walter said:
Super curious about the timeline in this world, while supposedly set in the 19th century the globe shown at timestamp 09:20, though slightly blurry resembles a map of 1939 Europe specifically post annexation of Czechoslovakia , deduced from the Polish borders, existence of a Slovak nation state and the name of Germany overlapping the protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. Is this an inaccuracy (randomly placed globe), canon timeline (alt history coincidentally leaving the world with such real life resembling borders) or a confirmation of time travel?

Or am i mistaken? Any fellow history or map nerds out there?

First episode opened with "1897 AD Meiji year 30 this is a different Meiji era than we know", second episode "1898 AD", and now this episode it said in beginning "1899 AD" (i assume it didnt take them a full year to get from France to England since it was mentioned being cold in France so it was later in the year lol). Could be an error or based on the opening text in first ep it did make it sound like it's possibly an alternate timeline yet the phrasing also just sounding like it was talking about the unknown so it doesnt quite sound like an alternate timeline, but now you mention time travel considering all the literary characters I could see that being fitting, however it would be too big of a thing taking up too much focus since have we ever seen any fiction use time travel as something you dont actually get to see as a major plot point from the beginning? It would overshadow other elements so I don't think it's time travel. So one could conclude it's an inaccuracy from looking up historical maps but not thinking to get the exact year correct.

Isekai-Enjoyer said:
This Sherlock Holmes is pretty much the single most accurate depiction of him in any anime.

Not until he does some drugs. Lol
Aug 4, 2023 9:54 AM

Apr 2013
Merve2Love said:
This Episode made me doubt the importance of having a 3 Episode Vampire Murder Mystery, when there are obviously a lot of more relevant characters and plotpoints waiting to be introduced to the story. Pace seems to be off.

I agree, the pacing is weird, it shoot off with first episode and almost immediately cooled us down. It's very interesting and the animation, direction and music quality very good but the script... we'll see. It's only 13 episodes, not 20+

auroraloose said:
That was a loredump so massive the resulting semiotic black hole is going to sphagettify the plot. Throwing everybody genre-adjacent you can think of into the thing is a mess, not a setting. At most all it does is distract from the fat lot of nothing the show has done the past four episodes.

But such is the detective genre; ironic and hilarious Holmes is the face of literary autolobotomization. Even the Holmes banter was trite. Well, maybe Miss Severed Head will put him in his place, and the show will return to focusing on its main characters, which are its true strength. It does seem like it's planning to unleash Aya and Tsugaru next episode. Good; that's what this thing needs if it's going to save itself.

Lol kinda felt like this, when Sherlock Holmes appeared, I internally groaned. The fascination with this character and his usual drier than sawdust depiction got me second guessing but at least he looks a bit sleep deprived. So many characters appearing and each individual is supposedly more special than the next so much so that everyone just feels like a snowflake. I too hope for more Aya and Tsugaru action, I also miss Shizuku's input.
KoSparrowsAug 4, 2023 10:17 AM
Aug 4, 2023 10:22 AM
May 2019
I found really interesting how the creator of UGMF mixed all famous characters from mistery, criminal and investigation fiction in one story, together with the supernatural world. It's really something to point out: if done right, can be very cool and a powerfull pack. If done wrong, would be a disaster, leavin' some (really) upset fans of the originals on the way...
Aug 4, 2023 12:44 PM

May 2017
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
auroraloose said:

Damn, you really are dead set on hating this show, my friend.

Be honest, though:

Eh—to be honest, it is first the show's fault, not mine. I have no problem praising it if and when it deserves it; it is always disappointment that fires me up the most, when a show faceplants when it had so much going for it. ERASED is the greatest offender here, but there are multiple I could mention (e.g., Shoujo Kageki ☆ Revue Starlight, which could have been a 9 and ended up an 8).

Only secondary is the need to express vocal hatred when it is desperately needed for instruction, as here, and I'm only doing it at the moment because that other thread blew up, which is pretty hilarious really. As to Holmes, there was indeed something a bit striking about Undead Murder Farce's depiction; I think it was his eyes, and that he's less strongly outlined than the other characters or something, I'm not sure. And yes, the show has played him more straight, but I don't know that that's all that impressive. Who's to say whether a unique characterization is worse than faithfulness to Doyle's details? I really liked Moriarty the Patriot despite all my clamoring about the evils of the detective genre, because Moriarty the Patriot was able to sublimate the genre's offenses into the classiest ham. It was about justice, revenge, and style, not clue onanism, and I enjoyed its Sherlock for that. There was even a fair amount of random lore stuff brought in, as this episode of Undead Murder Farce did, except in Moriarty the Patriot it worked, and wasn't just a performative pile-up to activate monke neurons. (Moriarty the Patriot had one of the best shocking reveals I've encountered in a while.) Further, I'm not particularly impressed by the average levels of discipline necessary to produce a somewhat faithful clone; a good anime should be able to do that effortlessly.

Third is the inevitable "don't watch it if you don't like it" and "taste is subjective" comments, which I enjoy for their utter failure.

Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est
Aug 4, 2023 12:50 PM

May 2017
KoSparrows said:
Merve2Love said:
This Episode made me doubt the importance of having a 3 Episode Vampire Murder Mystery, when there are obviously a lot of more relevant characters and plotpoints waiting to be introduced to the story. Pace seems to be off.

I agree, the pacing is weird, it shoot off with first episode and almost immediately cooled us down. It's very interesting and the animation, direction and music quality very good but the script... we'll see. It's only 13 episodes, not 20+

auroraloose said:

Lol kinda felt like this, when Sherlock Holmes appeared, I internally groaned. The fascination with this character and his usual drier than sawdust depiction got me second guessing but at least he looks a bit sleep deprived. So many characters appearing and each individual is supposedly more special than the next so much so that everyone just feels like a snowflake. I too hope for more Aya and Tsugaru action, I also miss Shizuku's input.

I've been worried since the performative M cane showed up the first episode; somehow Moriarty's crowd seems even more boring than everyone else. Either he or Aya and Tsugaru had better mess up everyone else's machinations, or we're in for a slog.
Aug 4, 2023 3:41 PM
Sep 2018
Haha love how Aya takes the mickey out of Tsugaru x)

Btw the fact this series is giving a nod to the legendary horror/crime icons makes it more interesting!
Aug 4, 2023 5:25 PM
May 2017
I'm kinda bummed this is only getting 13 episodes, we're getting quite a bit of 20+ ep seasons, this should have been one of those.

This episode was a chill set up for the new mini arc tho

4/5
Aug 5, 2023 12:51 AM

Jul 2021
Lmao the first thing I heard is Kaiki's VA playing as Sherlock Holmes in this episode. The history of the diamond's origins has sparked my curiosity about the potential appearance of characters from Germanic mythology. Figures like Oberon, Alberich, Fafnir, and Brunhilde could make an intriguing addition. There's also room for characters like Faust, Mephisto, Christian Rosenkreuz, or even Red Riding Hood to join the mix. The link to the werewolves and the clever Godard pun in the story adds an extra layer of intrigue.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Aug 5, 2023 2:17 AM
Mar 2020
This episode was really intense, with how much characters from various fictions, myths, books and other things were involved, it really reminded me of such titles as FGO, Moriarty, Conan, of course Lupin III (I wonder if mention of Ishikawa Goemon at the end was reference to Lupin III too? At first I was thinking that Lupin being here was reference to original Leblan books only, but now I'm waiting for Fujiko or Jigen appearance too). I really started liking this anime even more.
Aug 5, 2023 5:53 AM

Jan 2021
Literature nerds are eating well with this anime.
They just introduced Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Moriarty, Arsene Lupin, Phantom of the Opera, and Phileas Fogg, all of them in one case?
This is MCU level.
Aug 5, 2023 3:08 PM
May 2020
IT'S WHAT I LOVE! We have a Sherlock Holmes, a Lupine, the Phantom of the Opera... All involved in a robbery. We have very interesting new characters, let's see what this little group is up to...
Aug 5, 2023 4:23 PM
Nov 2015
This was a good episode. I enjoyed seeing Lupin, the Phantom and Sherlock and Watson. I can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 5, 2023 4:28 PM

May 2017
UnknownUser101 said:

Derrida was wrong. Apocalypse, now. 
Aug 6, 2023 1:24 PM

Jun 2021
I wonder if they will incorporate lupin as a werewolf because wolf is pretty much in the name lol if not it'll be a huge miss opportunity
Aug 6, 2023 11:30 PM

Jul 2014
Finally a new case now and this time we have the one and only Sherlock holmes. As a fan of Samurai Warriors games, I cant wait to see the Goemon Ishikawa plan in motion , that would be hilarious lol

Aug 7, 2023 8:49 PM
鋼鉄乙女

Aug 2016
Lmao this episode was like the Avengers of 19th/early 20th century European literature in terms of crossover. With so many characters being introduced I can't help but wonder why three episodes were focused on the one-note vampire murder case, hopefully this big case will get properly developed.

As a longtime Sherlock fan I really love the (somehow) book accurate character designs for Sherlock, Dr Watson and Professor Moriarty. Hope Sherlock won't serve just as a foil to Aya's deductions.
"Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!" - Bill & Ted´s Excellent Adventure

Check my introduction to Char´s Counterattack interest stack if you´re interested in watching UC Gundam. Also check my Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA Chronological Watch Order for LoGH info!
Aug 9, 2023 12:08 AM

Apr 2015
The constant usage of legacy characters is bugging me, I'd have preferred it if the writer had come up with his own
Aug 9, 2023 2:14 AM

May 2009
erikkamirs said:
I love seeing anime depictions of Sherlock Holmes. These are all meant to be the same guy!

This one actually looks like opium addict
Aug 9, 2023 1:16 PM

Oct 2018
New arc, this time at England. Multiple groups are here with their different goals too. The ending of this arc should be good.
Aug 9, 2023 11:03 PM
Apr 2023
I really like the LXG feels of this story.
If I had to guess, I guess it was really inspired by LXG, specially the choice of antagonist/s.

Also, it really is fun that if there is a Lupin in the picture, a Goemon will be involved.
tekkenshu7Aug 9, 2023 11:10 PM
Aug 11, 2023 2:13 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Told myself to wait until it finishes airing to binge watch it, but I watched another episode. Dammit. This show just slaps too hard to resist. Man I just love both the OP and ED.

I love how Tsugaru holds up Aya's cage with his mouth as he's getting his handcuffs removed

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 13, 2023 4:38 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Hearing Mamoru Miyano is always a delight, one of my favourite VA's. He's gonna kill it as Lupin. 

Aug 15, 2023 7:01 AM
Jul 2018
Rewatched the episode and I have to say that it's funny that this face was described as disfigured. 

Like yeah, that's so hard to look at. LoL.
Aug 15, 2023 7:03 AM
Jul 2018
UnknownUser101 said:
They just introduced Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Moriarty, Arsene Lupin, Phantom of the Opera, and Phileas Fogg, all of them in one case?
This is MCU level.
Truly, 19th Century Avengers.
Aug 15, 2023 8:30 AM
Jul 2018
TheLerian said:
UnknownUser101 said:
This is MCU level.
Truly, 19th Century Avengers.
More like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, no?
Aug 21, 2023 11:04 AM
Nov 2022
Aparece Lupin el famoso ladron, el fantasma de la opera, Sherlock Holmes y su compañero Watson, sin duda este pequeño arco, va ser increible.

Lupine the famous thief, the Phantom of the Opera, Sherlock Holmes and his partner Watson appear, without a doubt this little arc will be incredible.
Aug 24, 2023 8:52 AM
Jul 2022
Shit has officially hit the fan.
Sep 8, 2023 4:33 AM
Jul 2023
Whoa, last time was a vampire and now it's Lupin and Sherlock?! What a great mystery anime!
Sep 22, 2023 1:35 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
This new case is definitely interesting with its cast so far! Arsene Lupin on the evil side while we also have Sherlock Holmes etc :o Wonder how he'll manage or try to steal the diamond then.
Sep 29, 2023 8:34 PM
Anime Archivist

Aug 2019
And so we begin a new case, with a new cast of characters to work alongside our caged friend in preventing a crime. I wondered just how well this show would use Sherlock Holmes. There are cases where fusing pre-established characters works and flops in anime, it all boils down to how well they're handled. But for now we have the foundstions of a mystery bewing.

Two famous detectives, numbered guards who protect the building, and a declaration from our prospective thieves that they were going to steal the diamond away. Quite ambitious to make a declaration when Sherlock Holmes exists in that verse, not even counting our supernatural detectives. But oh well, better not get yourself caught after all that. The Penultimate Night is quite a name to fit with any nighttime activity. Considering how the jewel was locked in a silver safe within a room which can't be forced open through brute force.

There's just way too many layers of protection for it to happen with any speed.
Sep 30, 2023 12:41 AM

Oct 2021
I liked the first four episodes but this one was not good to me. Felt like way too many characters were suddenly introduced - especially already established characters from other stories (which I've personally never been a fan of anime doing).
Oct 1, 2023 12:09 PM
Jul 2014
Wtf is Sherlock doing here... I swear, they can't make a mystery anime without including him
Oct 10, 2023 2:32 AM

Mar 2010
Awesome! We got interesting characters show up. Lupin pair seems interesting currently, I am def routing for them more rn... hope they do not easily get caught or get demolished like the previous case.
Nov 8, 2023 3:58 PM

Feb 2018
This episode was so good. How could Lupin manage to steal the darn diamond?! ;p
Nov 9, 2023 9:02 PM

Nov 2017
Hyyyyyyyyyyype. Lupin, Sherlock, Japanese detective, 1000 days around the world guy, werewolves and dwarves. They really included everything, dis gonna' be awesome.

Can't wait! Only Japan can mix them all and still make it original somehow.
Nov 16, 2023 8:39 PM
May 2023
Good episode, I like that they show more iconic characters like Sherlock and Watson, Lupine, etc. It seems that the Professor is also behind the penultimate night, we will see how they intertwine P.S.: in the end he left the box that contained the jewel open, to make Lupine's job easier I guess hahaha
Dec 31, 2023 6:29 PM

Oct 2019
We finally got to see Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson.
And Arsene Lupin on top of that!
I can't wait for more battle of wits between Sherlock and Aya!
It's interesting how the writer has employed multiple public domain famous characters
from the 19th and early-mid 20th century and brought them all together.
Jan 8, 3:10 AM

Jul 2016
Reply to Rakiko
This episode was really intense, with how much characters from various fictions, myths, books and other things were involved, it really reminded me of such titles as FGO, Moriarty, Conan, of course Lupin III (I wonder if mention of Ishikawa Goemon at the end was reference to Lupin III too? At first I was thinking that Lupin being here was reference to original Leblan books only, but now I'm waiting for Fujiko or Jigen appearance too). I really started liking this anime even more.
@Rakiko

Can you have Lupin without Goemon?
Mar 5, 8:00 PM
Jun 2022
Nice , So Now There Is Holmes & Watson . No Mystery Without Them , Huh . Next Is The Final One!
Jun 19, 4:33 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Lupin, Holmes, Fogg, etc... to much historical characters to my taste!
kekeke
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2023

58 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 29, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2023

118 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 23, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2023

124 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 19, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2023

121 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 19, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2023

102 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 16, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.