Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Oct 18, 2021 12:17 PM

Jul 2014
Damn, that was quite the transition. I didn't expect him to die... or at least not so soon.

Dark stuff aside, Frederica is so adorable.
Oct 18, 2021 12:28 PM

Aug 2021
I felt really bad for Eugene :(

The reunion with Fido was wholesome!
Oct 18, 2021 1:23 PM

Aug 2020
soo fucking sad that eugene had to die like this, the feels at the end made me tear up a bit definetely a 10/10 episode
Oct 19, 2021 12:54 AM

Dec 2016
The pacing was quite fast but it was well done.

I knew that the way Eugene was making plans for the future he was at the same time jinxing it. But his death came sooner than expected, I thought they would show his death in the next episode. Eugene was starting to become a nice yuujin of Shin, it's sad to see him go so soon. I feel bad for Nina. I hope they show us the picture that Frederica took.

Some of the soldiers in the Officer school is no different than those republics. Especially that guy who thought Shin killed Eugene really annoys me. No matter how you look at it, it's obvious that it's impossible to save Eugene, whose hands and legs got ripped off.
Oct 19, 2021 2:24 AM
Apr 2018
FIDO is not 'dead'! ----> Every Tragedy doesn't have to end with death, and that's what I liked about the first season as well.

R.I.P. EUGENE.

I like how NOUZEN doesn't waste time on explaining to others.

That said, Op & Ed songs are really good!

Thank You!
Oct 19, 2021 11:45 AM

Sep 2018
Mihaeroff said:
Every episode is a carousel of sorrow.

Followed by the Dodgem' Cars of despair

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Oct 19, 2021 1:54 PM

May 2018
Wlep, that's for Eugene, he should've not join the battle, now Nina her imouto has just lost her Oneechan.....

Who really owns them Legion anyway?
Oct 20, 2021 3:16 PM

May 2018
Goodbye Eugene. He left behind his poor lil sister.
Oct 20, 2021 5:58 PM
Mar 2020
Shit man I don't know what it is, but this anime has me crying almost every episode. Such good character interactions, mecha fight scenes, and heart warming moments followed by heart wrenching moments. I can already tell this is going down in the record books. I'm glad I'm watching this as it releases instead of all at once because I'm not sure my heard can take it.
Oct 22, 2021 11:18 AM

Aug 2013
Well that was a guy who had "hey I'm here just to eventually die" written all over his face since his first appearance so welp. I thought we would have at least a little more time to care about him.
Oct 23, 2021 7:43 AM

Oct 2017
With that many death flags no way he was gonna survive but still doesn't change the fact that it was depressing. Shin's role as the shinigami continues. This anime really knows how to hit hard. Also good to see Fido back.
Oct 23, 2021 10:36 AM
Sep 2011
theGodde said:
that statement "it's almost like he's the reaper" makes no sense. Have they heard of a soldier who went by the name "reaper"? I've seen no indication that's true. In which case what has Shin's actions (and suspected actions) done to suggest he is in any way deserving of the title "reaper"? It felt like the most bizarre and ham fisted tie in to the first season I've ever seen. Like hold that statement until after Shin actually joins the battlefield as the reaper.

Talk about a fake out death. I remember everyone lost their minds when Fido bit the dust. Now that scene has been retroactively ruined. Why did Fido need to be revived? There was no need other than fan service. He never really fulfilled a direct role in the story. And he's not even present in the rest of the episode.

And now we've reached another timeskip. Eugene's death is also one of the most predictable and uninspired deaths in the entire series so far. The setup was incredibly obvious. But who knows maybe it will be redeemed by tying strongly into the main plot. As it stands I feel like it was a lazy and uninspired thing to do with his character. It's uneconomical storytelling to build up a character solely to be killed off. There were so many other things he could have added to the story that could have made his death actually meaningful beyond being a source of conflict between Shin and the redhead guy.

I can't find a better comment that expresses my feelings after watching this episode. All three points are so spot on. When that orange-haired guy mentioned "the reaper", I facepalmed. It would have made sense if he had called Shin "the reaper" after seeing Shin fighting on the battlefield or after killing Eugene. But it happened in the training camp so it felt forced. It's great that they rushed through the training "arc" because not all anime need that.

Fido's comeback is welcomed but not in this way. As you said, I feel like all my tears for Fido in the first season were all for nothing. I expected Fido's memory storage would be recovered and stay with Shin in a different format. Or at least make Fido re-appear in a critical moment so that it would leave an impact. Not like this "Hey, a present on a random day for you. Surprised? Here is your beloved pet. Not only not dead but it's also upgraded. Happy?"

Eugene's death doesn't leave much impression for me except "Ah, the brutality of war has come back. The reaper is back." With the special treatment among the new characters, I expected his death to occur later in the season after a more established relationship with Shin. At this point, what is his role? He isn't in Shin's squadron. Are they friends? I'm not sure. The anime lets Eugene appear here and there, makes Frederica take a photo of Shin and Eugene, lets Eugene talk about his future plan. It seems they want us to believe they are friends. But I can't feel it yet.

I think after the first season, I set the bar too high that the execution here kind of falls short of my expectations. And the presence of Frederica doesn't help either. I find her adorable yet mature in one moment and totally annoying in the next moment. Different from the first season when all the 86 kids were forced to fight, she chose to go to war. I can't take this war as seriously as before when the Federal Republic of Giad's army let a child go to the battlefield like it's the most normal thing in the world, especially after all the talks that they don't want to force the five kiddos to fight. I'll understand if the old tradition of having child mascots continue to show us a dark side of the army. But it doesn't work that way. It's an old disturbing tradition but they aren't going to cancel it. It's simply a plot device to involve Frederica.

I'm patiently waiting for Lena. I'm not gonna complain yet.
Oct 23, 2021 1:11 PM

Aug 2013
Happy to see Fido back but Eugene's death was painful to watch even though I knew what was going to happen. :(

Oct 23, 2021 7:44 PM

Jan 2020
I was expecting that death, but not too soon and not too shocking. I literally gasped as soon as the scene transitioned. The direction of this episode is freaking phenomenal. Not sure if the LN skips things, but I feel like the anime is definitely cutting scenes off, which makes sense if they want to get to real deal or cover the entire book.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Oct 25, 2021 9:54 PM

Jul 2008
Did not expect to see Fido again which is great, but man talk about another downer ending with Eugene...war never changes.

And even in another country they always manage to find some racist prick who can't handle not being good enough.
Oct 25, 2021 9:59 PM

Apr 2018
Damn Eugene was such a cool dude and it was sad for him to pass away fighting the Legion. R.I.P Eugene, War never changes and Im really glad that Fido is back.
Oct 26, 2021 3:21 AM
Mar 2020
Fuck that was gruesome, I dont envy the artist that had to draw that
Nov 3, 2021 9:25 AM
Nov 2020
fast2611 said:
Fuck that was gruesome, I dont envy the artist that had to draw that

Bruh the sound effects as Shin was moving Eugene from his cockpit was disgusting. They did an amazing job with that
Nov 3, 2021 11:31 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
School time was short for a war veteran like them. Ofc there's some bad voice around, and lots of misunderstanding whenever Shin be. Ah, so thats the Giad monument, with all of those previous debris, and their comrade name plate. Frederica prepared it all very nicely looks like, especially with the arrival of, Fido. Fido? Damn, boy, glad your core won't destroy, so its sure be a good news, for Shin.

Frederica also announced to be their mascot, a Giad tradition. But its kinda like a substitute Handler for Shin? Not to mention how they kinda got the same robot from the republic. Spider mech. Oh yeah, welcome back to the battlefield!

Yeah, dude, you had no chance to survive. I already smell some blood when he talked to Shin alone. Even after gettin saved once, the fate taken him into his final rest, in the hands of a headless reaper and his gun. Usual job, usual day honestly. Though, its a bit sad Shin couldn't give him a proper warning and clear some wrong view Eugene got, that war won't be that easily to survive without any goddamn skill like Shin. That's the sad part for me.

I am missing Lena already. Will she showing up next?
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 6, 2021 7:22 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
jpb18 said:
Marinate1016 said:
This is an episode that we(LN readers) all knew was coming, but man seeing Eugene in pain like that was hard. I love how A-1 recreated the anguish of that moment both for Eugene and Shin.

Honestly, A-1 managed to do it even better than what I had imagined. And the facial expression on Eugene as Shin showed him his sister's picture and while he thanked him for euthanising him... That was too much, it felt like a punch to the gut.

The team gathered to work on 86 adaptation is just a cut above from most, and they understand the source material.

IMO this episode hit harder than the LN ever did at this scene, and I think the rest of this airing will go just as strongly.
Unlike vol.1, 2 and 3 had a lot that could be improved upon, and this adaptation is keeping that in check, going way beyond what you expect from an adaptation nowadays.

Mark my words, the LNs vol2 and 3 will be surpassed by their anime adaptation.

5-7 go at some wild stuff, being vast improvements IMO from these two, so I m not expecting to like their anime's more, but I m liking this part more, than I ever did reading at least vol2.
PlaycoolNov 6, 2021 7:28 AM
Nov 6, 2021 11:37 PM

Jan 2021
They were throwing up death flags left and right, but it still hurt to see.

Nov 8, 2021 12:47 AM

Feb 2019
It was touching to see that the Federacy made a monument to the fallen Spearhead members. This way, they really will never be forgotten. All those names etched on the battlefield. And Fido is alive too! I was so sad when he started shutting down last season ;-;

Ah, Eugene always had death flags on him... his circumstances were analogous to Rei. I knew this was coming. But still... rest in peace, Eugene. I can't even imagine how to break the news to his sister.

Republic or Federacy, war is the same. I don't like that red-haired guy going off on Shin. He knows nothing of his struggles, of what he had to do.

I want to see Lena. And I want to see Spearhead meet Lena..
Nov 12, 2021 3:51 PM
May 2020
Things have been so peaceful I forgot this was 86 until the Eugene part. Thought we would have more episodes with him :(. But death is apart of this war. You don’t know who will survive.
Nov 23, 2021 2:45 AM

Aug 2017
I think Eugene needs more screentime before his death and the 86 being ostracized in Giad makes no sense.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 28, 2021 10:48 AM

May 2016
For some reason I was emotionally moved by his death.
Nov 30, 2021 8:11 PM
Jun 2017
Poor Eugene.
But it's known that one must not talk about relatives while in the battlefield.
That's an instant death flag.
Jan 11, 2022 9:47 PM
Jul 2020
Feels quite rushed ngl. And Eugene, argh i knew it was coming😩
Jan 18, 2022 7:41 AM

Nov 2017
Leave it to this anime to have a happy moment and a depressing moment in the same episode. *Le sigh*
Mar 5, 2022 4:56 PM

Dec 2018
Those death flag.... Can't believe it just happen that instant... Poor Eugene... Guess I shouldn't attracted to random character here. They will die anyway.

Mar 16, 2022 5:47 PM

Nov 2021
I knew from the start theyre gonna do that to that dude... and the sister :((

Mar 19, 2022 5:41 AM

Nov 2018
Such a predictable cliche death...
Come on, 86. I thought you were bettter than generic ''deep'' anti-war action for teenagers.
I hate everyone equally
Mar 21, 2022 6:29 AM
Oct 2019
I kinda like Frederica now, she not really annoy me anymore. she was more adorable.

Fido are back and Eugene are gone...

They played with our emotions in one episode... god damn it...
Mar 28, 2022 6:07 AM

Aug 2013
All I hear is Nero when Frederica speaks.
Don't believe the hype.
Mar 29, 2022 11:42 AM

Apr 2020
Damn Eugene, I knew it was going to happen, but actually seeing it was sad.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Mar 30, 2022 3:34 PM

Jan 2011
Wow, what a surprise, a character dies after talking about what he's gonna do on his next leave. I don't know why they feel like they have to resort to this cheap shots. It's even worse when compared with the ending of the first season, where Shin and the others *should* have died.

They want to show that war is cruel, that people die, but then cheapen it with stuff like did. Eugene was introduced, not seen for a while, shows up again, talks about the future, dies.

And then Shin hands over the duties to that guy who is aggressive because they felt they needed someone who goes against the grain, so that we see how the Federacy is so much better compared to the Republic, because he constantly gets scolded by his superiors and so.

But: Besides the other 86, Eugene was the closed thing to a friend he had. Heck, he probably talked about more stuff with Eugene then with the other 86, with them it's always about the same things, but Eugene got him out of his shell, somewhat. They could have had a scene where he ponders his relationship with Eugene, or what the death of her brother means for Nina. Maybe but it into relation with Frederica, who he is also quite close, at least for his standards. He could have talked with the others about it, tell Nina himself, whatever. But no. Eugene shows up out of nowhere again, dies, Shin does his thing, and the matter is done. No need to spent time actually exploring it.

What was the point of Eugene? Of his live, his death? Maybe they'll do a flashback in the last episode about the friends they met, how they where changed, how they had to shoulder their deaths and are now finally free with the Legion defeate where Eugene shows up. But if so, it's all a sham.

So the deaths that are important are fake, and the ones that are real are pointless because the show simply moves on like nothing happend. In the end, both are simply used as attention grabs.

IMHO, this kind of things prevent the show from really shining. As it is now, it's just another show.
Maybe that will change with the next episodes, it's kinda highly rated, so maybe it's all coming together in the end, but right now they continue to put a spoke in their own wheel.
Apr 6, 2022 8:06 AM

Nov 2014
Well, in the military academy Shin already shown his capability as renowned "Undertaker" he tried to do a dangerous jump maneuver using vanagandr to dodge a crash by fellow vanagandr that piloted by other student, Marcel. In the end all of them got scolded by the instructor and got 0 point. Marcel and his friend for their carelessness, Shin and Eugene for the risky & dangerous maneuver that might destroyed the vanagandr. It seems Marcel & others didn't take a liking to Shin since he is 86 and called them monster. Blonda short hair lady that had been shown before in previous episode as the higher up from the Federation picked up all of the Spearhead Squadron and accompanying them to a site. The Federation made a battle memorial in the place when they left 4 of their juggernaut/feldreß, using those juggernaut and a stone memorial that written with the name of the deceased 86 from Shin's box, also with remaining of the scavenger (Fido? i dont think so XD) . Loved the BGM here pretty lit. Blonde lady introduced herself as Lieutenant Colonel Grethe Wenzel and told them that they'll be put in her squad, Nordlicht. After those serious and emotional moments suddenly Frederica appeared with big surprise with a scavenger behind her. it was actually Fido as she told them at first "he" didn't respond and seems dead after hearing Shin's voice he's back to life and they also adding some upgrade to him, Fido seems really happy meeting them again. And one other thing Frederica also handed Shin his gun that held by Ernst before as the gun was very precious to Shin. Frederica also'll be in their squad as their "mascot" XD.

Moving on to battle, Finally Reignleif !!!!!! 1st appearance, the BGM was fire!!!!
And ...as usual Shin broken some parts of his mech after battle. Everyone seems to stayed away from Shin as he ate alone with Frederica in the corner. Looking at them Eugene decided to join them and had some enjoyable talk. After Frederica left them, the convo began to lil bit serious as Eugene talked about his goal & younger sister and the rough thing in the battlefield. Shin then advised him to quit the Military with how bad the battlefield condition is. and... not before long alarm buzzing meant for the Legion attack....

R.I.P Eugene Rantz, he fall on that attack..
it was quite emotional when dying Eugene asked Shin to took his younger sister photo pendant that got thrown few metres and gave it to him and embraced it before finally asking Shin to euthanized him. Seeing that Marcel vent his anger to Shin as why he didn't saved Eugene as he should... and blamed 86 as a war freak.

As Shin moving back to patrol car with Frederica in it we could see Shin slowly getting back to his old demeanor and emotionless.
Apr 15, 2022 1:13 PM

Jul 2015
Rip Eugene but he brought it upon himself by raising those damn death flags as soon as he mentioned that he joins the army.

Apr 26, 2022 12:26 PM
Jul 2020
i still don't get why shin killed Eugene is it the same as in area 86 where no body gets medical help or whatever or is it just that Eugene was beyond saving?
Apr 26, 2022 12:46 PM
Apr 2019
chichiLA said:
i still don't get why shin killed Eugene is it the same as in area 86 where no body gets medical help or whatever or is it just that Eugene was beyond saving?
By the time Shin arrived there,half of Eugene's body was blown away and he was beyond saving
Apr 27, 2022 6:49 AM
Jul 2020
Sb98 said:
chichiLA said:
By the time Shin arrived there,half of Eugene's body was blown away and he was beyond saving

Oh i see thanks for explaining! so unlike in Area 86 people here can get medical care if it is possible to save them right?
Apr 27, 2022 6:59 AM
Apr 2019
chichiLA said:
Sb98 said:

Oh i see thanks for explaining! so unlike in Area 86 people here can get medical care if it is possible to save them right?
If they can be recoverable from the legion territory, then yes. Federacy has medical facilities for its soldiers. An example is in the next episodes where
Apr 29, 2022 11:38 AM

Jan 2014
Shin back in action is great, but I feel like his way of thinking and his choice in life isn't supposed to be. child at his age are should have desire to be happy with small and silly things, no matter the circumstances.
Jun 11, 2022 6:06 PM

Jul 2013
Dude basically wrote his own name on the death note when he drew that massive fucking red flag about going to the zoo with his sister and doing shopping and shit after the war. But it's fucking stupid how Shin is hated despite being a total beast in the battlefield. I understand being scared of him sure but why hate?
Sep 7, 2022 3:16 PM

Jan 2011
the guy raised way too many death flags, still was not expecting him to die this fast
Sep 15, 2022 2:33 AM

Dec 2018
dude didn't even last 2 or 3 battles. guys like him really shouldn't join. that whole country has a weird outlook on war, reminds me of russians almost. another great episode, feeling really good about this season. i feel like shin feels trapped working with them and their weird rules. i want to see how the others are doing.
Sep 21, 2022 8:59 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
Frederica is seriously annoying

Oct 31, 2022 2:15 PM

Feb 2018
Eugene was such a likeable character and even though he was just introduced, he's already gone ;/. On another note, Fido's back so.. yaay :')
Dec 12, 2022 10:13 PM

Dec 2021
I actually kind of liked Eugene he was such a nice person, ngl the transition between them talking and his death was hella smart tho.
At least Fido's not dead he's so adorable!!
Jan 15, 2023 7:57 PM

Apr 2015
This cour is really annoying and disappointing so far, we have an annoying loli, the same discrimination against 86 and the same boring legion fights
and in this episode, we are horrified by the totally unexpected Eugene death xD

Maybe not watching it weekly back then is the reason for this
Mar 9, 2023 11:02 AM

May 2021
Who knows what's the number of times I have rewatched this show. It's awesome. Except for the brat. God damn her and whoever thought it was a good idea to put her in the story anyway. Such an annoying character placed solely so she could add drama to already perfect show.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

537 by Alfred0098 »»
Yesterday, 6:19 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2022

301 by Alfred0098 »»
Yesterday, 6:19 AM

» [SPOILER]. If they make a second season would it be a romance?

Superninjaboy2 - Jun 3

12 by Flacion »»
Jun 4, 10:50 AM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

23 by rayanDON »»
Jun 1, 10:12 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2021

155 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 20, 5:28 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.