Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Jun 25, 2020 10:28 AM
Jan 2018
Didn't really make laugh out loud it made me crack a smile now and then that's about it .

It's looks like chika is there to be a tool which was pretty obvious in this epiosde, no clue who someone wouldn't figure that out they are using her to get a reaction out of each other. If they do that in the future no clue hope they don't

And when they do Confess ( when the manga ends ) highly doubt it will involve power of friendship lol

Anyway I like kaguya and maybe Abit chika I bit
Mattinator95Jun 25, 2020 11:29 AM
Jun 26, 2020 4:26 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
They were sweet and very matched as a couple. However, since the drama need to be long enough to suck some shit, ofc they would do that ranting balanced till the end of the day. The best cock-blocking here was that obnoxious disturber Chika and Narrator-san really had a godly talent to digged shit. Please, slow down a bit when you explain that long-ass text. I can't followed that, goddamned it!

I couldn't help but this series really hilarious till the bone. So lets see how well the execution of the funny ranting while the main progress still processing. Thats it.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 9, 2020 6:31 AM

Dec 2013
I don't watch rom com that much but I heard a lit of good stuff about this series. The animation is an eye candy and Fujiwara is a fluffball lol. The mind games is still overwhelming for me but let's see what will happen on next ep

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Sep 15, 2020 4:45 PM
Jan 2012
Am I the only one that feels like the voice audio is lacking? It sounds like it wasn't mixed properly, almost like there's too much treble or how the audio quality sounds in 240p
Sep 26, 2020 7:44 AM

May 2018
So, basically it's a romcom about two pretentious elitist brats who try to outsmart each other for some dumb reasons?

Oct 11, 2020 2:40 AM
Oct 2020
full episode s1
https://safeku.com/OfHz
Oct 24, 2020 1:38 PM

Apr 2013
Soooo another very popular one and I expected to get a lot of laughs out of this. The first episode was entertaining, but not immensely funny. Maybe my expectations are just a bit high though.
Nov 11, 2020 4:31 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
MY OCTOPUS SHAPED WEINER

Rewatching this for funsies and also because I’m hyped for season 3; and damn what a great first episode to set the stage. I forgot how much I missed this shit. This single episode alone is packed with so much goodness already, and there’s so much more left!

When I first watched this I think I binged watched it all overnight because I was just enjoying it so much. Think I’m going to take it easy on my rewatch, one episode at a time to just let the enjoyment sink in. Easily maintains the 9/10 score I initially gave it

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 17, 2020 7:56 AM

May 2015
IT is ok so far. Ara ara
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 17, 2020 7:56 AM

May 2015
IT is ok so far. Ara ara
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 23, 2020 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
1) yeah, let's see what Kaguya-sama is about and what people saw so good in it... pretty curious

2) because I'm not the kind of patient person who likes to unveil its time watching "it rains but doesn't get wet" romance type

3) but pretty curious though

4) amazing and funny opening

5) .................................................

6) self-proud issue is the problem here from people who cannot disregard any moment of their societal high position influences, a problem that can drive this plot to another mexican tv soap opera full of dramatic sensationalism vibes

7) but I planned to watch the whole season to make a fair conclusion about this anime

8) yes, Chika is human! and more human/spontaneous than you and Shirogane together, Kaguya ¬¬ please ¹

9) I mean, both Kaguya and Shirogane know about their feelings for each other!!! It's kind of stupid to not confess for pure proud and fear, cause they have everything to get an acceptance from both sides (and they're fully aware of it) so then to start a romantic relationship together, in which they agonize to succeed and torturing themselves this whole time...

¹ 10) maybe I'm kinda being fucking hypocritical, cause I identify myself a lot with Kaguya in this situation><
removed-userNov 26, 2020 4:20 AM
Nov 29, 2020 6:31 PM
Oct 2020
Just so you know, this is EXACTLY what the world would end up being like if we all just blindly listened to pick-up artists lol

Now, about the episode:
The concept - basically two brats subconsciously saying "you confess first" over and over - is definitely not my cup of tea, and judging by how there's a sequel season I am already sure that it will go absolutely nowhere, but objectively speaking the execution of this episode specifically is pretty neat! The animation is awesome, the voice acting is great (I'm not a big fan of constantly-speaking narrators but considering that the narrator does a nice job), the script is comically chaotic with Chika being the island of sanity - who'd ever guess the most aloof character would be the only normal one, eh? - and I admit that despite the unappealing premise it did get a few giggles from me.

I will watch another episode, but I'm unsure if I'll watch the whole season.
Bottom line - not bad!
Jan 1, 2021 8:56 PM

Apr 2020
So this was a hilarious first episode, perfectly establishing two flawed characters and adding a new twist to an old premise. Boy and girl meet but can't confess their feelings for each other because deep deep down, they're scared of rejection - or something like that, I don't know, I'm not a psych major. All the fourth wall breaking, character monologues and over the machinations is a perfect send-up of the conflict people feel when asking someone out for the first time.

Of course Fujikawa is the MVP whose clueless interjections spice the game of oneupmanship between the two leads. Made me laugh over and over. A great start and really curious to see where this goes.
Jan 4, 2021 6:41 PM

Dec 2015
Wow this was some of the most tiresome anime I've seen in a while. Completely charisma free leads with everything told, not shown eg how elite they are and a "narrator" that wont SHUT THE HELL UP reiterating stuff we already know or could tell ourselves and talking stupid bullshit. OHH TSUNDERE HOW CAPTIVATING AND ORIGINAL! This anime apparently thinks this is funny or compelling? Trash first episode.
Yojimbo2Jan 4, 2021 6:46 PM
Jan 6, 2021 9:11 AM
May 2020
Ain't a big fan of stuff like this or anime in general, but this was amusing
Jan 13, 2021 7:10 AM
Jan 2021
Its so perfect. The way the adopt from the manga. Nailed it!
Feb 14, 2021 4:47 PM

Jan 2020
Not bad.
Although I'm having difficulties keeping up with the subtitles :p
Love the OP. And the animation is great.
3099Feb 19, 2021 11:29 PM
Feb 27, 2021 9:42 AM
Jun 2020
This story is obviously unique I've really can connect to this story to me,

that was a very fun episode I'm really looking forward to watching the next episode.
Apr 13, 2021 9:24 PM
Oct 2019
definitely a bit over the top. a little too much for me. i imagine/hope it's toned down some in subsequent episodes? i guess what i'm saying is a little less "war" and a little more "story". it's only the first episode, though. i get it

i did enjoy the octo weiner part though. added some much needed humor into the constant scheming

6/10 first episode
Apr 15, 2021 5:36 AM
Elder Emo

Jan 2013
Turns out I guess I really had no idea what this was about, just knew it was popular 😅 It definitely feels like a cool concept and I enjoy the narrator, but I worry the "gimmick" will get old. Although I have read some reviews that say it doesn't, so guess only time shall tell.
Jun 22, 2021 4:38 PM

Jan 2021
All that nutrition to your chest nothing for your brain, I could taste the salt through the screen this is really good

Jun 25, 2021 12:59 PM

Jul 2009
Finally started this!!

Definitely worth waiting the BD!! Such an interesting take on Love War XD

I really love the lunch scene! Kaguya just wanted that weiner!

This is going to be good!!!
Jul 30, 2021 1:18 AM

Jun 2021
i watched only this first episode recently and honestly wasn't very convinced despite all of the acclaim received everywhere, so i think it's better if i ask something before giving it another chance, they probably are silly questions for fans of this anime but whatever...

- is the narrator always this intrusive and loud throughout the entire series?
- is the setting entirely in school classes and rooms?
- in the subs i read, Kaguya's introduction informs that she already got a lot of prizes and achievements in music, traditional stage work and martial arts. Will any of these be actually brought up and shown later?

Honestly i'm a cynical aromantic human being, but this didn't stop me from enjoying series as School Rumble (even more after the second rewatch and even despite my favorite ship not becoming real) and i still think or want to think that the hype around this show is justified
Sep 7, 2021 8:26 AM

Mar 2019
The opening is just a masterpiece. Nice opening episode but it feels annoying to hear Kaguya saying those 2 phrases over and over again. Shirogane's great.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Sep 8, 2021 11:34 AM

Feb 2021
Finally! I started this anime. It was beyond my expectations,I really liked it
I like the animations,it was so great and I also liked the concept/theme,the characters are nice , the song is great,
I think everything is great
But, idk how they are gonna show this "little storyline"( confession between the MC's) I mean I am just curious how will they manage without making us feel bored

And I also liked the way it started it's so great XD , and one more thing I liked is that, with simple dialogues and actions they created a fun that's really great
__bl4nk__Sep 8, 2021 10:42 PM
Dec 3, 2021 10:01 PM

Sep 2015
Meh it was okay, but I find the narrator annoying.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Jan 24, 2022 8:54 AM

Apr 2021
After keeping this anime somewhere deep down in my PTW list.....I just randomly decided to watch it.....And yeah I'm glad I decided to give it a try.....
Seriously tho, with all those mind games it did get me excited.....the plot's rather interesting and unique......even the characters are pretty well written.....I'm definitely gonna catch up with this show and probably even read the manga......The Pilot episode was really good ngl....Also I'm a Chika fan now :)
Anyways I really have high hopes for this show!!!!!!

Jan 29, 2022 4:45 AM

Aug 2018
This is a very great introductionary episode for 3 characters that are about to be main ones during whole show,I hope my interest doesn’t fade in upcoming episodes
Feb 26, 2022 3:13 AM

Oct 2021
Finally i started this after keeping this in my watch-list for more than 4 months.
After watching Episode 1, i can say that this is like battle of who will make other confess first.
Interesting and fresh plot than a usual generic romcom which i appreciate very much.

5/5 Episode
Mar 24, 2022 8:35 AM
Jul 2018
How come the animation is so fucking good??!? This anime is from the same studio that made SAO! (aka The Worst Anime Ever Made)
Apr 4, 2022 6:31 AM
Jan 2020
really odd series. can't really tell if its good or bad.. weird
Apr 5, 2022 3:31 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Honestly the best moment is Shirogane taping up the pen he just broke only to proceed to break it again

Yup don't mind me, just re-watching my favourite seasonal anime ever before I get my soul bombarded by S3 in a few days

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 14, 2022 3:45 PM

Mar 2016
One word: DISAPPOINTING.

I've never seen an anime literally SPELL OUT and utilize "Tell don't show" more than this, and the constant exposition and narration was downright infuriating.
Don't let me see or explore the concept or the characters on my own, just TELL ME what to think at all times, please.

Imagine if something like Death Note was like this; all the intrigue of that setup would be gone if the narrator just flat out explained everything at all times.

Not impressed. This was a hype anime?

I'm very tempted to drop this already. I can't stand being told what to think in a series. I really can't fathom the popularity of this at all. It's almost every thing I hate in anime.
CrimsonCWMay 15, 2022 8:45 PM
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jun 11, 2022 2:14 AM

Aug 2018
CrimsonCW said:
One word: DISAPPOINTING.

I've never seen an anime literally SPELL OUT and utilize "Tell don't show" more than this, and the constant exposition and narration was downright infuriating.
Don't let me see or explore the concept or the characters on my own, just TELL ME what to think at all times, please.

Imagine if something like Death Note was like this; all the intrigue of that setup would be gone if the narrator just flat out explained everything at all times.

Not impressed. This was a hype anime?

I'm very tempted to drop this already. I can't stand being told what to think in a series. I really can't fathom the popularity of this at all. It's almost every thing I hate in anime.
"I've never seen an anime literally SPELL OUT and utilize "Tell don't show" more than this" Liar Kome-san is the worst and does it in every episode. Let me guess a Kaguya fan pointed this out to you about Komi-san so you came here and excuse it of doing it LOL. Do you even know what irony is. Komi-san even has thought boxes telling you how to feel about a scene like you are moronic to figure it out on your own with narrations lady reading it to you to boot. A komi-san fan has no right excusing any other anime of doing it. Also try watching Kaguya more than one episode so you can see how superior it is to Komi-san.
Jun 16, 2022 7:27 AM
Apr 2022
Really cool OP song. I like style mostly with the main characters in it. The guns, cards, etc is also pretty distinctive.
Jun 21, 2022 2:08 AM
Jun 2022
I'm sorry, I tried to watch the first episode, and I made it to the end, but just cringed through the whole thing.

So, this will be the first and last episode that I watch of this show. Absolutely nothing against anyone who watches and likes this show, but it just wasn't my thing.

Peace out peeps!
Jun 25, 2022 4:56 AM
Jun 2022
Absolutely hilarious show. I love the characters and they have such great interactions with each other, including the side characters which is really nice. The opening is a BOP and the voice acting makes the show even funnier.
Jul 10, 2022 6:23 AM

Dec 2021
I usually don’t like romances but this is actually pretty good.

Aug 9, 2022 2:31 AM
Jul 2021
boring. not much to stand out from
Aug 15, 2022 12:16 AM
Jun 2022
it was hillarious and was great as romance and phychological thiller and i loved it every bit of it, It reminded me of Death Note with with romance and comedy
Aug 16, 2022 11:34 AM
Aug 2022
the comedy in the show is amazing
Aug 16, 2022 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
I'm rewatching and this first episode is still great
removed-userAug 21, 2022 11:02 PM
Aug 29, 2022 6:48 PM
Jul 2020
Wait i can review individual episodes!? cool. so to keep it short but really push my point, i know the anime community loves this rn and its seen as one of the best new anime of the decade? it being number 2 rating wise on this site is just one mark of its relevancy. i wanted to see what my friend who is more cultured than me in anime saw in it so i picked it up

truth be told i find the premise frustrating as hell! its one of those situations where the will they wont they is built to be contrived and i really resent the concept of the person who admits their love first being the weaker partner...it really gets to my insecurities as a romantic, but given the circumstances surrounding the two leads, their environment, class dynamics and them being high schoolers i think i can stomach the situation that drives the premise...but i say that only bc this episode sold me one it.

This is a really smart romantic comedy. i dont want too many anime comedies anymore and i guess i've been missing out cause this really rocks. As a starting episode i did feel myself kinda less invested than i'd want to be knowing theres 3 seasons out with a movie on the way and probably even more seasons coming after that.

i thought i'd have to grin and bear it. u know just trudge thru this season to make it to the point where i'm invested in the characters. esp since i've already seen a random episode from season 3 with a friend that recommended it, but no...this really wasnt a forced watch.

the battle anime setting for this only intesifies the jokes? it really points out that smart people take themselves Waaaay too seriously. Its like if deathnotes stakes werent life and death. i didnt know i needed this? the battle anime framing actually heightens the comedy!

I was ready to hate the characters (well the leads, the pink hair girl is best girl) but i think with the narration and their inner monolouges i cant really bring myself to give them much shade aside from the fact that their so prideful that they are sabotaging thier own happiness.

this episode is kinda a microcosim for the entire show's message and trajectory. I wanna see them change. i wanna see them try to communicate and be on the same page. i wanna see these fuckers happy!

the framing device of every encounter being its own thing (almost like watching one of those 11 minute long cartoons that show 2 episodes in 1) but it still being a continuous narrative is kinda sick? its bite sized and really helps the pacing. 1 episode felt really long bc of this pacing. but the framing device this episode did even more than just got me really into it.

after each love battle there is a winner or loser named depending on what happened. and generally whoever left the situation feeling more salty is the loser. the next to last encounter Kagua lost which made me expect her to be dubbed the loser for the final battle of the episode as well, cause she was indeed salty at the end since she drove the presidsent out of the encounter by making a battle where there didnt need to be one. the situation was subverted cause she was in love battle mode but the prez was just trying to defend his honor as a pooor person lol.

The prez kept making bomb ass lunches and Chika kept asking for some eventually escalating to the Prez just making her a whole damn extra lunch cause why not. in the most casual way he just wanted to spread the love and he is really good at cooking. Kagua got jelly cause she wanted to be the one smapling his food but was too prodful to just come out and say it, deferring to trying to get her rich family's special made lunches tp be so extravagant that the prez would have to ask her to trade so she didnt lose face.

what she didnt count on, and this is a reflection of her blind spot with being rich, was that to the prez it just looked like she was trying to embarrass him and get him to say his own food was shit. he didnt see it as a love battle so when she was so obviously full of malice about the whole thing he stops entertaining the whole thing, eats his whole lunch and leaves the clubroom to do literally anything else.

it was at that point that Kaguya knew she fucked up, even if she didnt fully understand why. that was important and what she's starting to learn (and is also the point of the show) is that her pride got in the way of what she actually wanted and she will have to swallow it if she wants to be happy.

the "battle" at the end was labeled as a Kaguya win and at first i didnt understand it at all cause she seemed to have lost, but the thing is Chika still had the luch the prez gave her, and so she shared some with Kaguya right as she was really sad about...basically being a bitch (not just to the prez but to Chika as well cause she was mad at her for "flirting" with the prez even tho Chika and everyone else is led to believe that Kaguya and Miyuki dont like each other cause they act like they dont lol)

but in the end Kaguya gets a lesson in humility cause when she finally gets to taste that octopus hot dog she sees how much of a fool she had been. She wins bc she learns a lesson and she techically got what she wanted: to try some of Miyuki's food without having to grovel

in that moment i almost cried.

i dont like the premise from an emotional stand point but i think the starting point is a perfect place for everyone involved to grow. Flawed protagonists that grow and get time to do so are really captaviing. its a refection of the fact that no one is perfect. writing a likable protag is one thing, but writing a disliakable one with potential to be one you do like is something else entirely: LET ALONE TWO! Giving them space to make mistakes in the framing of a comedy is also really smart, because its not misery porn, which could get old fast. i am as of now invested in the journey, not just the destination.

also helps that its funny as hell
-Drizzle

(posts....oh this is a fourm post hahahahaha. now i understand. im still learning how to use this site)
Sep 7, 2022 7:31 AM
Mar 2022
you know, theres not enough obamna
Sep 10, 2022 8:20 AM
Sep 2022
epic anime. recommend to single folks.
Or u could watch it with ur partner. 10/10
Sep 25, 2022 6:41 PM
Apr 2021
Had me laughing like crazy
Oct 4, 2022 10:40 AM
Apr 2020
hilarious! and well animated!
Oct 5, 2022 11:23 AM

Feb 2020
Very original story! I'm not surprised it succeeded so much.

It was so funny when Shirogane threatened to snitch on her xD
Oct 10, 2022 8:39 AM
Apr 2020
It wasn't that funny, and it was "too much". The constant chatter of the characters and narrator, plus the text on the screen, was overwhelming in regards to trying to read everything, which made it even harder to enjoy any possibly funny jokes.
Nov 3, 2022 8:34 PM

May 2019
The narrator cracks me up pretty hard. Solid start to a show. It's as if they made Death Note into a goofy dating show which is fantastic.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » is it just me or do you guys also find fujiwara annoying?

FruitPunchBaka - Jun 2

43 by MUGIWARA_0001 »»
Jun 7, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Mar 30, 2019

479 by LuzNoceda »»
Jun 7, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2019

270 by otakuanity »»
Jun 2, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2019

207 by otakuanity »»
Jun 2, 8:26 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2019

256 by otakuanity »»
Jun 2, 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.