Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 16, 2023 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
The chance for Einar to work for Thorfinn is interesting. You could say this is the beginning of a new life for Einar.

Episode had its mature tone and Thorfinn looked rather detached since his return. The unpredictable nature of their world still gives off survival vibes and that narrative paints a tragic tone as well. Man, this season has been a wild, emotional ride so far.

Jun 2019
While Einar has no experience whatsoever of being a slave and how to do some stuff, it was so interesting to see Thorfinn on the other hand, who has changed so much in this time. He's so calm and collected while Einar is furious like Thorfinn used to be.

And, then we got to see their Master son who's going through the same thing Thorfinn used to go through as a kid who doesn't know the horrible suffering war brings. I want to see more of this dynamic between Thorfinn and Einar and how their friendship will grow. It's gonna be fascinating to see this going forward.

May 2020
Working as a slave isn't something Einar ever wished for, it should be clear at this point. Though for Thorfinn it was something he brought upon himself that even the proposal of buying back one's freedom on the condition of harvested crops outpricing the amount they were bought by Ketil didn’t flinch that massive apathetic look of his face. Einar on the other hand… will take him a while to warm up to the people and the go-throughs of this place. But hey we know what a mere presence of a beautiful woman does to man ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)... Einar's fine for now.

A successful father and his lousy son.. you see this thing plenty often. We won’t do something for a change here as well, as Olmar the son of Ketil is here to mark his disgraceful presence for the next six months. Man wants approval from his father, from the people.. now to see how it’ll go for him. Those flashbacks still hurt btw.
Jan 16, 2023 8:57 AM

Jul 2017
In the lands of Jutland in Ketil's Farm, both Einar and Thorfinn are made friends and working together, building his future wheat land for both to buy back their freedom with each bountiful harvest. But the way that Thorfinn teaches Einar, is the same usual vagueness in a huge plot of land, with meals that are as miniscule as their status as slaves. Einar would've quit at this point, but Thorfinn's persistence is what ensures his survival amidst all the psychological torture. The former's persistence of wanting to report to Ketil about the retainers...got completely overshadowed by the presence of a woman, and that is what makes them stay.

Even for a master, despite origins, Ketil is also working in the farms, which surprises Einar. The relationship between Ketil and his 17-year-old son Olmar is distraught, for a rebellious son who wants to be involved with the war, rather than be the successor to his father's farm. This is made worse when the woman in question tries to persuade Olmar sexually, but only to be met with more disappointment of the same inheritance talk that drives him out each and every time.

The first day for Einar...recalling his past feuds with the Danish trampling on his home village and killing his family, and this is the same for Thorfinn.
Living to see another day, they can only do that for now.
Jan 16, 2023 9:07 AM

Apr 2014
Man this episode really does gov route something. Like wow. Einar knows some heavy brutality from some douchebags or jerks. But Thorfinn convinces him to beat with it. The Master’s son does net want to inherit the farmland and becomes rebellious and so forth. Einar thinks out loud that the boy turning into an adult does not understand war and will get himself into trouble. Einar talks to Thorfinn about how his village was attacked. Thorfinn remembers his time of a village he attacked it must’ve been horrifying to him.
Jan 16, 2023 9:12 AM
Oct 2022
It was very interesting seeing Thorfinn in this way. Before he was an angry kid who wanted revenge because Askeladd killed his father, no he’s calm and collected but seems dead inside. This might be because he has no real goal now that Askeladd is gone, but I do wonder whether they’ll explore how Thorfinn became a slave in this farm.
Jan 16, 2023 9:12 AM

Feb 2022
Great chapter today

Together Slice of Life a little serious and with funny parts

That man Olmar makes me curious

And the drawing is beautiful like the previous chapter

Waiting for the next chapter
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Jan 16, 2023 9:17 AM
May 2021
Damn man seeiing Thorfinn like this makes me feel sad man… just pain man.
Jan 16, 2023 9:18 AM

Jan 2009
Einar got love at first sight there
Jan 16, 2023 9:18 AM

Feb 2013
opening song is epic that is all

The Lord seem like a real good guy he be the center of a community.

But the other prestigious around are not of the same light. With abuse of others and likely getting on the lord bad grace often of they could be pulling the curtain over his eyes as well. And he and his son do not get along well the son being even slightly paranoid, but most just not be humble like the owner of the lands. 

Also thorfinn is dead inside, truely the "void" peak depression is I can't expand how hard that is as most people have felt that or only for a short time, everyone knows what anger is but people don't understand the void without being in it as it is a hole you can not leave. Well you can but it has to be under your own terms no drug or "person" can help that is true depression, a person can help but they can be trying to help.
That seems to be what the outro song is indicating
The intro song seems to be the entering it.
that reallly cool.
PoisonedTeaJan 16, 2023 10:11 AM
Jan 16, 2023 9:21 AM
Aug 2016
Alright, so this was more of a Slice of Life episode where the workings of the farm are described. We start with Einar and Thorfinn deforesting the forest for wheat farm. Ketil's proposition is interesting, that if they grow wheat more than their price they will obtain their freedom. I can imagine Thorfinn and Einar growing together and working their way to freedom. Oh boy, that's awesome.

We are also formally introduced to new characters, namely Pater the man who has freed himself from the farm, and Olmar who is Ketil's son. We get to see a part of Ketil's life and his troubles. He is enthusiastic and wants to go to war, but does not know the brutality of the flames of war. We then return to the scene of Thorfinn and Einar in the shed, where Einar describes his past. I feel when he talked about second attack by Danes, that kind of hit Thorfinn and he will slowly start to feel guilty for killing all the people he killed. 

Good episode. Animation was good, and it seems we have yet another new character in the next episode called "Snake". That's 3 continuous episodes of new characters lol. Looking forward to it!

5/5 episode. 

PS: How did I forget Einar's love at first sight lmao. Whoever that girl was, she was very nicely animated for sure. That was a new character as well. Oh well, let's see who she is in the upcoming episodes!
KoustubhJan 16, 2023 10:06 AM
Jan 16, 2023 9:24 AM
Nov 2021
Einer looks optimistic of being free one day. Let's see where the truth of life takes him from here.
Jan 16, 2023 9:33 AM

Jun 2015
Im a little worried. This episode has few QUALITY moments. Hopefully this wont get worse in the next episodes.
Jan 16, 2023 9:34 AM

Jul 2021
A decent episode, mainly focused on conflicts between low classes in this medieval world, pretty chill despite having such heavy theme and tone. The son reminds me of the guys from Thorfinn's village in the first season, the attitude and arrogance are high for someone who doesn't know how to wield a sword.

I don't remember much about what happened in the manga so I'm honestly pretty hype, now just gotta wait for another week.
Jan 16, 2023 9:36 AM

Feb 2019
Kinda funny now in hindsight how Einar could’ve totally changed the trajectory of the story by snitching lmao. Bro saw a 10 and folded lmaooo.

Seeing it animated I kinda feel bad for Olmar. He doesn’t know how good he has it inheriting a nice peaceful farm, nothing good comes from war.
Jan 16, 2023 9:37 AM
Mar 2021
Idk how to feel when I see Thorfinns eyes so in deep despair, depression, like you look in a tunnel without light. Am I the only one here that feels a knot in my throat?! I thought about episode 1 all week, imagine now with episode 2 😔
Jan 16, 2023 9:39 AM
Sep 2021
Guys is this really looking like wit studio animation . In s1 thorffin had blonde hair but here it's little brown and green. Mappa is doing good but wit was the one who made it masterpiece
Jan 16, 2023 9:41 AM
Oct 2022
As an Anime Only, I love the subtlety and nuance here! It was a genius move to give Thorfinn a character with an opposite personality to interact with, as their differences can lead to some interesting drama. Love how they don't tell you Thorfinn's mindset here, as you already can see how depressed he is just from his facial expression, it works wonderfully and that final scene in bed gave me chills, Einer unknowingly condemning the kind of person Thorfinn used to be and showing Thorfinn how foolish he was in the past was a great, subtle moment of character development. I've only heard good things about Farmland from Manga readers and I'm strapped in and ready to have a good time!
Jan 16, 2023 9:42 AM
Oct 2016
Einar learning the hard way that even if your master is a good guy doesn't mean your life will now be a cakewalk. There's still a lot of bullshit to deal with. Ketil offering his slaves freedom if they work hard enough to earn back the money he spent on them is a good deal in that situation. Einar even said that back in England slaves are for life, so Ketil is offering them a decent way out. Just chop down a couple thousand trees, clear the stumps, plant some wheat, harvest enough to earn your own money's worth and you'll be free again. Its tough but fair. Now dealing with all the asshole retainers is where the big problem is. Lowlife scumbags that think just because they don't have the word slave attached to them they're somehow superior. Those guys haven't got a clue, imbeciles who just want to pick on someone they view as beneath themselves. Not giving Einar and Thorfinn any real food, napping on the job, it's terrible how they're treating the kindness Ketil shows. He even gets out in the fields himself, so while yes he's a slave owner Ketil is operating in the system he's been given and making the most of it for everyone. Seeing poor Thorfinn so defeated was the hardest part of this episode. He's got no life, no fight in him at all anymore. Thorfinn is a the bottom of despair and needs a way out, maybe Einar can be that way for him.
Jan 16, 2023 9:44 AM
Oct 2022
ViditDidit18 said:
It was very interesting seeing Thorfinn in this way. Before he was an angry kid who wanted revenge because Askeladd killed his father, no he’s calm and collected but seems dead inside. This might be because he has no real goal now that Askeladd is gone, but I do wonder whether they’ll explore how Thorfinn became a slave in this farm.

I've heard that Thorfinn became a slave because he tried to attack Canute for killing Askeladd at the end of Season 1, and that would normally get someone executed, but Canute spared him and sold him off as a slave instead, and Thorfinn being depressed due to Askeladd's death means he didn't resist. I ain't a Manga reader but that is my assumption, I heard they never explain how he became a slave but that is the common theory.
Jan 16, 2023 9:44 AM

May 2020
Thorfinn's personality really did change a lot
amazing ep
cant wait for the next one

Jan 16, 2023 9:45 AM

Dec 2020
This man gives einar and thorfinn a chance to pay themselves back that they can be free what nice man.
Einar is complaining about the food and i can understand that.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jan 16, 2023 9:52 AM

Nov 2021
they wanted it to happen both ways, literally and figuratively xD

Jan 16, 2023 10:08 AM
Sep 2019
the story and the philosophical angles just carry so much weight, good execution and great music
Jan 16, 2023 10:09 AM

Jul 2014
Well we getting more of them in the farm and Einar seems to not fit in with this slave thing. Though, I wonder how thorfinn would sort his mind up and make a decision for himself, he's so lost
Jan 16, 2023 10:09 AM
Dec 2021
Top tier stuff. One of the few anime for adults.
When I was in high school I used to joke around and say to my otaku friends that anime is for kids. Still think the same about 95% of the shows but damn vinland saga is something else.
AnimeIs4KidzJan 16, 2023 10:13 AM
Jan 16, 2023 10:12 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I was wondering how Farmland Saga would be received and I'm happy to see so far so good. It helps that the production values are really decent as a story of this calibre deserves.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 16, 2023 10:16 AM

Mar 2020
It's quite interesting how the roles of the characters work here. Thorfinn feels like he has had a role reversal, and now is Einar's mentor of sorts on the farm, while Einar is the loud one, complaining about the work. It was also quite intriguing and ironic how the slaves felt more at ease than someone of more wealth and status, Olmar, who is Ketil's son. The slaves fit in well with a kind master, while Olmar felt out of place from everyone else, not having a real role in things, to the point where people just try to take advantage of him to gain status. He's naive about the world around him. He feels that war is the way to go, while farming isn't for young people, but what he doesn't know is that war is ruthless and unforgiving, which Thorfinn and Einar have seem firsthand, and inheriting his father's farm may just be the best thing for his future.

As for Thorfinn, he looks very lost as well even though he seems well respected even as a slave, maybe Einar can be someone who can bring more life into his eyes some day.
Jan 16, 2023 10:22 AM
Jul 2020
I don't really see Thorfinn as calm and collected. Rather he's dejected and purposeless.

The driving force of his existence was to avenge Thors, but he couldn't do that. He is struggling to find his worth or the reason for his existence.
Jan 16, 2023 10:38 AM
Feb 2022
TsushimaMartin said:
Great chapter today

this is an episode thread right
Jan 16, 2023 10:39 AM

Aug 2022
The adaptation is perfect imo. Great art and animation throughout this whole 2nd episode. The voice acting was impactful and the pacing is done right. Idk what to say, great episode no doubt. Next week is gonna be a lot better. Snake's introduction is top tier.
Jan 16, 2023 10:44 AM
Dec 2021
saketsahu said:
TsushimaMartin said:
Great chapter today

lmao don't be like that
Chapter is the literal translation for "capitulo" which means episode in spanish.
it's one of those lost in translation moments.
Jan 16, 2023 10:44 AM
Feb 2022
QuickBinger5108 said:
ViditDidit18 said:

I've heard that Thorfinn became a slave because he tried to attack Canute for killing Askeladd at the end of Season 1, and that would normally get someone executed, but Canute spared him and sold him off as a slave instead, and Thorfinn being depressed due to Askeladd's death means he didn't resist. I ain't a Manga reader but that is my assumption, I heard they never explain how he became a slave but that is the common theory.

as a manga reader i would say that thorfinn lost interest in everything and he no longer know what hope is and just gave up in every damn thing and have no reason to resist anything
Jan 16, 2023 10:48 AM
May 2020
I love how this season feels. It is really immersive seeing these slaves work and how they try to better their position. I like that we finally get to hear something from Thorfinn,even if a little bit. The end of the episode was really interesting(Thorfinn seeing the burned village). Can't wait for the next one(the preview looked interesting,to say the least).
Jan 16, 2023 10:49 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
slavery, labor, and a too-young heir to the farm.

kekeke
Jan 16, 2023 10:50 AM
Oct 2022
saketsahu said:
QuickBinger5108 said:

as a manga reader i would say that thorfinn lost interest in everything and he no longer know what hope is and just gave up in every damn thing and have no reason to resist anything

I had a feeling that's what it would be. As an Anime Only, I can't wait to see this story unfold!
Jan 16, 2023 10:54 AM
Feb 2022
perfectionFound said:
saketsahu said:

lmao don't be like that
Chapter is the literal translation for "capitulo" which means episode in spanish.
it's one of those lost in translation moments.

ohhh sorry my badd ,btw ya got a nice list and Vinland Saga is pretty much slice of life only after season 1
Jan 16, 2023 10:55 AM

Jun 2014
Ketil seems like a decent guy, giving his slaves the opportunity to buy back their freedom, but Einar quickly learned that that doesn't guarantee that the road there is an easy one. He's still a slave after all, literally considered subhuman, so he's going to be treated accordingly. 

We're only 2 episodes in but I love seeing how the tables have turned. Einar is the impatient hothead Thorfinn used to be while Thorfinn is just a lifeless empty shell. It's sad to see him like that. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 16, 2023 10:56 AM
Feb 2022
QuickBinger5108 said:
saketsahu said:

I had a feeling that's what it would be. As an Anime Only, I can't wait to see this story unfold!

its not directly told in manga but considering added content in anime it might be shown
Jul 2022
I know it’s way to early to say this, but is there any news about when the dub will come out?
Oct 2022
saketsahu said:
QuickBinger5108 said:

its not directly told in manga but considering added content in anime it might be shown

Either way I'm hyped.

May 2015
Einar is promising to be a future GOAT.
Jan 16, 2023 10:58 AM
Feb 2022
QuickBinger5108 said:
saketsahu said:

Either way I'm hyped.

its worth the hype
Jan 16, 2023 11:00 AM
Sep 2021
StiffmeisterXD said:
I know it’s way to early to say this, but is there any news about when the dub will come out?

No news about dub from Netflix or crunchyroll
Jan 16, 2023 11:02 AM
Jul 2022
Amit7 said:
StiffmeisterXD said:

No news about dub from Netflix or crunchyroll

Ok cool. Thanks for the info.
Jan 16, 2023 11:03 AM
Mar 2019
i get it now why people call farmland saga
Jan 16, 2023 11:08 AM

Jan 2018
Lol Einar trying to give advice to Thorfinn when it's his first day of being a slave.

I'm an anime-only but I enjoyed the first two episodes a lot. If the rest of the episodes are like this then I can't complain. It's really good and I can tell that it'll only get better.
Jan 16, 2023 11:13 AM

Nov 2016
Lol @ the parents

Thorfinn is like a shadow of his former self; dead inside and wants no beef at all. One accompanying factor of losing his motivation to live is that he's finally composed. Seemingly endless amount of work on an empty stomach and the coworkers suck to boot, but it could be worse xD Take notes Einar, he knows the drill. Even while experiencing this arc for a second time I'm enjoying it immensely. It's a slow burn worth the wait.

Farabeuf said:
I was wondering how Farmland Saga would be received and I'm happy to see so far so good. It helps that the production values are really decent as a story of this calibre deserves.

I think the mere fact that people won't have to wait months for chapters to drop makes it already a lot more pleasant. I have the feeling people back then were just frustrated to wait for so long.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 16, 2023 11:18 AM

Mar 2021
Am I the only one who actively dislikes the production values in this season ? 
Jan 16, 2023 11:20 AM

Apr 2013
Snake is finally shown! He'll have some great moments further down the line, can't wait.

This was definitely a slower paced episode but this is the pacing to expect early on in this arc; more slice of life and dramatic beats before making room for the action and more intense moments. A few unfinished/unpolished far away frames that could be fixed for blue rays but otherwise I'm content with most of the art and animation, pretty much the same as season 1 in slower paced moments.
KneelBeforeMeJan 16, 2023 3:51 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2023

177 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2023

173 by phantom346 »»
Jun 18, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2023

168 by FarCritical »»
Jun 18, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

492 by Katzanmira »»
Jun 15, 4:37 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2023

158 by FarCritical »»
Jun 14, 9:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.