Forum Settings
Forums
Sword Art Online Progressive (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 3, 2021 7:21 PM

Jun 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:
Had the pleasure of watching this in theatres last night in Hong Kong but couldn't get the time to share my thoughts because of a risky deadline xD.

It was nice to see the perspective of Asuna on some of the early developments in the Aincrad arc. I can't remember exactly, but I thought their first meeting was at the stadium where the players gathered in the meetup. Apparently, they'd bumped into each other before though.

It's a pity that just a volume was adapted because of a lot of anime-original elements being added e.g. the entrire character of Mizumi. Personally, I can't say I'm the biggest fan of her, that betrayal was seriously ugly to say the least. Expected her to seriously die during the boss fight, lol. Well, given how they sidetracked her in the end there, I don't suppose we'll be seeing much of her from here on.

I don't think I've ever found Kirito to be funny but some of the SOL moments between him and her definitely changed my mind a little. One of the biggest take-aways from the movie for me. As for the animation, it was obviously glorious. But I was sitting on the second row so my angle wasn't the best to appreciate it in full ​lol. Here's to hoping the BD/DVD comes out soon so I can give it a shot again.

Aincrad arc was a pretty good arc for me and reliving that experience was pretty nice. Looking forward to the next movie now! And more LiSA too, please.

Solid 7/10.

Idk, I wouldn't even consider Mito's actions a betrayal, more like a misunderstanding. Given the circumstances, it wouldn't have been possible for her to reach Asuna or Asuna to survive unless some god smurf came along. Though I also was seriously expecting Mito to die in that boss fight given the director, src, and TV anime.

It would have been a pretty poor attempt at a tear jerker if Mito died in this movie, but I actually think they got something to work with. I doubt she'll get sidelined now, especially since she survived and their totally weird decision to adapt Scherzo next.

Dec 3, 2021 7:32 PM

Jun 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
Just saw it at my local theatre.

Quite possibly the best SAO feature till date inclusive of all previous series and movies, easily my favorite of the lot. It surpassed any expectations I had for it, pacing was brisk, a little fast but cleanly told. The art and animation were beautiful and the fight sequences were great.

Turning Asuna into the protagonist and having Kirito play the supporting role is a great decision if you ask me, quite possibly one of the best things about the movie. Asuna seems to fit the protagonist role way better, she had lot of nice character moments, her motivations are explained better and you can see how the direness of each situation affects her along with her progression as a player. Big props to the guys who drew/animated her expressions in each situation, extremely well done. Honestly, even Kirito comes off as way more personable than in the main show because of his enigmatic status from Asuna's point of view which is quite possibly the towering achievement of the movie.

I always liked Asuna but this movie definitely made me love her way more.

Can someone more in touch with the series tell me which parts if any are retconned from the original SAO? The events feel slightly different but I guess the overarching story is likely going to be the same. Mito is never mentioned in original and it sounds like she will be a major character going forward. Is there mention of Kirito saving Asuna in the beginning after that incident with the plant monster? I don't recall that from original.

Nevertheless, I'm all for this series even if it means they need to retcon portions of the original series as this feels way more well written and likely what SAO should have been.

9/10, very excited for the sequel but it remains to be seen if they can keep the quality and narrative up to par to what's showcased here.

No Kirito never saved Asuna from the plant monster. Their first encounter in Progressive (ln) was in the dungeon when he lectured her and carried her out. 2nd meeting in this movie.

Mito was also not in the ln's. (anime/movie original char). If you want my+(prob every ln readers) thoughts:

Wind Fleuret (Rapier Mito gives Asuna) well Mito never existed so not how she got it. But it's a better addition imo.

Everything with Mito in it is basically anime original, minus anything that seems important, such as the boss fight. But given how well they worked it in, it's probably all canon so it's not a big deal.
Dec 3, 2021 7:49 PM

Jun 2016
Finally got to see this movie.... Center seat was way lower than expected so not the best angle but the movie was excellent. Also nice that I had the entire row to myself lol. Way less people than I expected...

Had serious doubts and high expectations after that godawful alicization adaptation, but SAO movies have not missed so far. It didn't blow me away like Ordinal Scale, but I have to say, they did a really good job juggling the source material, original content, and linking it to the TV anime.

Character chemistry was way better than the TV anime. Interactions felt genuine, the subtle details like Kirito's awkwardness do a great job fleshing out his char given that 99% of his content was cut, and the comedy works.

Obviously with how Ali turned out I'll talk about the sakuga. It was fucking fantastic. Yeah, there were some dopey scenes here and there, but any scene with importance was done well and the action was definitely way better than anything A-1 could have done with a TV anime.

Ngl, I'm quite surprised with how the movie turned out. Mito surviving was a serious omega good job to A-1, Kohno, or Reki, or whoever wrote the script. Regardless of whether she dies or not moving forward, it was very smart that they decided not to fucking kill her now and ruin this movie with a shitty tear jerker attempt.

I was seriously doubting the decision to adapt Scherzo next, but I guess I'll go into it with an open mind.

Dec 3, 2021 7:53 PM
Mar 2021
Well then… that was
incredibly enjoyable.
Dec 3, 2021 8:05 PM

Dec 2014
Inorichi said:
Lelouch0202 said:

Quite possibly the best SAO feature till date inclusive of all previous series and movies, easily my favorite of the lot. It surpassed any expectations I had for it, pacing was brisk, a little fast but cleanly told. The art and animation were beautiful and the fight sequences were great.

Turning Asuna into the protagonist and having Kirito play the supporting role is a great decision if you ask me, quite possibly one of the best things about the movie. Asuna seems to fit the protagonist role way better, she had lot of nice character moments, her motivations are explained better and you can see how the direness of each situation affects her along with her progression as a player. Big props to the guys who drew/animated her expressions in each situation, extremely well done. Honestly, even Kirito comes off as way more personable than in the main show because of his enigmatic status from Asuna's point of view which is quite possibly the towering achievement of the movie.

Can someone more in touch with the series tell me which parts if any are retconned from the original SAO? The events feel slightly different but I guess the overarching story is likely going to be the same. Mito is never mentioned in original and it sounds like she will be a major character going forward. Is there mention of Kirito saving Asuna in the beginning after that incident with the plant monster? I don't recall that from original.

Nevertheless, I'm all for this series even if it means they need to retcon portions of the original series as this feels way more well written and likely what SAO should have been.

9/10, very excited for the sequel but it remains to be seen if they can keep the quality and narrative up to par to what's showcased here.

No Kirito never saved Asuna from the plant monster. Their first encounter in Progressive (ln) was in the dungeon when he lectured her and carried her out. 2nd meeting in this movie.

Mito was also not in the ln's. (anime/movie original char). If you want my+(prob every ln readers) thoughts:

Wind Fleuret (Rapier Mito gives Asuna) well Mito never existed so not how she got it. But it's a better addition imo.

Everything with Mito in it is basically anime original, minus anything that seems important, such as the boss fight. But given how well they worked it in, it's probably all canon so it's not a big deal.

Oh, that's very surprising. I too expected Mito to die albeit for the fact that she isn't in the original series.
Dec 3, 2021 8:39 PM

Feb 2019
Everyone knows I’m the resident Asuna hater of anitwt and MAL. I despise her so much, but this movie somewhat made her bearable to me. Despite reading all of the main series, I hadn’t touched progressive because I thought “meh, more asuna” but I was actually impressed with how well Reki fleshed out her character as well as the way her character arc was portrayed.

I really enjoyed Mito and Asuna’s relationship up until the betrayal. I know people are gonna hate Mito for it, but be real, 99 percent of people would’ve done the same thing.

Mito was basically what asuna needed at the beginning of SAO and while in school, but once she became established as her own person, Kirito was the best fit for her.

Sakuga during the film was pretty much on par with what we got in WoU 1 and PT 2. Final boss raid scene stood out to me as the best and also Mito and Asuna training scene.

Mito is a new waifu for me, idc hate on her all you want, we stan.
Dec 3, 2021 9:02 PM

Jun 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
Inorichi said:

Oh, that's very surprising. I too expected Mito to die albeit for the fact that she isn't in the original series.

Iirc, yes. Asuna's reason for being stuck in SAO was she just happened to put her brothers nervegear on in the LN's. I also forgot to mention in my last post, all the IRL stuff was never in the Progressive novels. I think some people said it was in the manga, but tbh, I haven't bothered with any of the manga adaptations. Overall, all the anime original content were pretty on point in this movie.

Adding Mito, leaving her alive, giving Asuna more of a reason to start SAO and end up in the dungeon that way, the short interactions showing Asuna's relationship with her family were all great additions imo.
Dec 3, 2021 9:47 PM
Oct 2017
Just got back from the theatre and decided to come on and write a review!

I thought this movie was great! Seeing the scenes were very nostalgic, that said, it was also very surprising and fun to see all of the new content that was in the movie, because of course, the majority of the movie was not exactly the same since it was in Asuna's perspective. Asuna was so cute all throughout the movie and the addition of Mito added a lot to the story. Kirito was also a GOD, Which leads me into the animation. The animation was also GODLIKE and the voice acting was amazing! I recommended all SAO fans to go see this to re-live the first season as well as see new content that has never been animated before. I also am looking forward to watch Sword Art Online Progressive 2 whenever it comes out!
My Candies:
Dec 3, 2021 9:57 PM

Jun 2016
Marinate1016 said:
Everyone knows I’m the resident Asuna hater of anitwt and MAL. I despise her so much, but this movie somewhat made her bearable to me. Despite reading all of the main series, I hadn’t touched progressive because I thought “meh, more asuna” but I was actually impressed with how well Reki fleshed out her character as well as the way her character arc was portrayed.

I really enjoyed Mito and Asuna’s relationship up until the betrayal. I know people are gonna hate Mito for it, but be real, 99 percent of people would’ve done the same thing.

Mito was basically what asuna needed at the beginning of SAO and while in school, but once she became established as her own person, Kirito was the best fit for her.

Sakuga during the film was pretty much on par with what we got in WoU 1 and PT 2. Final boss raid scene stood out to me as the best and also Mito and Asuna training scene.

Idk how you can despise Asuna if you read through Alicization. I agree she was godawful and utterly butchered in the Ali anime, but... Yes Mito is great. I can't blame her for what she did.

Very disagree with the Sakuga being on par with anything Ali though. Alicization sakuga was terrible for 90% of it's runtime... with the exception of a few scenes.

Nobody can say Progressive was as bad as that, lol
Dec 3, 2021 9:59 PM

Feb 2019
Inorichi said:
Marinate1016 said:

Idk how you can despise Asuna if you read through Alicization. I agree she was godawful and utterly butchered in the Ali anime, but... Yes Mito is great. I can't blame her for what she did.

Very disagree with the Sakuga being on par with anything Ali though. Alicization sakuga was terrible for 90% of it's runtime... with the exception of a few scenes.

Cap. WoU had scenes on par with Ufotable.

> Idk how you can despise Asuna if you read through Alicization.

Pretty easily, garbage tier waifu.
Dec 3, 2021 11:05 PM
Jan 2020
Marinate1016 said:
Inorichi said:

Cap. WoU had scenes on par with Ufotable.

> Idk how you can despise Asuna if you read through Alicization.

Pretty easily, garbage tier waifu.

Twitter handle checks out 👁👄👁
Dec 3, 2021 11:06 PM
Jan 2020
Dracobladeex said:
Just got back from the theatre and decided to come on and write a review!

I thought this movie was great! Seeing the scenes were very nostalgic, that said, it was also very surprising and fun to see all of the new content that was in the movie, because of course, the majority of the movie was not exactly the same since it was in Asuna's perspective. Asuna was so cute all throughout the movie and the addition of Mito added a lot to the story. Kirito was also a GOD, Which leads me into the animation. The animation was also GODLIKE and the voice acting was amazing! I recommended all SAO fans to go see this to re-live the first season as well as see new content that has never been animated before. I also am looking forward to watch Sword Art Online Progressive 2 whenever it comes out!
More like Progressive 5 if we go in anime release order with respect to LN 😔
Dec 4, 2021 4:14 AM
Aug 2013
What this movie showed me was that it should've been a complete reboot and not a retelling. The first half of the movie was significantly stronger and more mature than the second half, in which Kirito enters and more scenes from the first two episodes are included.

Mito and Asuna parting ways at the end was one of the most idiotic things I've seen in anime that didn't involve a campy villain. It had to happen, as she was inserted just for this movie. They just said goodbye, and it was completely awkward as Mito never apologized and honestly explained to Asuna why she left the party. Would I have loved to see a 3-member party of Kirito/Asuna/Mito, or even just writing Kirito out of the story and continue on with Asuna/Mito? Definitely.

This movie had a chance to reboot the Aincrad arc and tell a great story. Instead, it was shackled by the poorer writing of the original. Still, because it improved on the first two episodes so much, I'll give it a 6/10. I expect the next movies to go downhill from here as the story is milked, much like Made in Abyss.
Dec 4, 2021 6:42 AM

Oct 2020
Lelouch0202 said:

>Turning Asuna into the protagonist and having Kirito play the supporting role is a great decision if you ask me, quite possibly one of the best things about the movie.

If u read the Novels, that isn't a pretty good idea. Although both are actually equally devoloped and got equal importance but Kirito feels like a better character in the SAO-'P' series. That's opposite of the Main series. But ig u said that because u r an anime only??
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Dec 4, 2021 11:05 AM

Apr 2014
this movie was okay AT BEST.

You have about 20 minutes of Asuna backstory before she enters SAO. And then its basically just a readaptation of episodes 1 and 2 of the original series. Theres hardly any new content to watch and what new content there actually is was nothing crazy or mind-blowing, felt pretty basic. Regardless, I am looking forward to the sequel as it should actually have new content that we haven't already seen.

Also something that was COMPLETELY different was that after the boss battle in the original series, when Kirito walks off to enter Floor 2, he tells Asuna to not be a solo player and to join a guild or party, which is what she ends up doing and contributes to why she joined the Knights of The Blood Oath. But in this readaptation he does not say that and instead they enter Floor 2 together and continue as a party. I'm not crazy about this change, it APPEARS minor but its actually something that was sort of forced just to continue the story into floor 2 with Asuna and not just Kirito.

6/10.
ZrynDec 4, 2021 11:12 AM
Dec 4, 2021 2:25 PM

Jun 2011
Had the liberty of watching this movie yesterday with friends, and it was nice to see the world of Sword Art Online again, this time through Asuna's eyes. My friend who used to be a huge SAO fan was a bit annoyed that things didn't happen how it originally did in the anime, but I think he started getting really into it, I know he especially enjoyed the moments where it focused on the game mechanics and so on.

Anyway, it was a really good movie. Looking forward to the sequel movie coming out next week.
Dec 4, 2021 2:30 PM

Jun 2011
lroha said:
Watched the movie today. First day, first show, less than 5 people in the theater. I guess Sword Art Online is not very popular in my city.

This is the second time watching Sword Art Online. First was Ordinal Scale when I was visiting Korea February or March 2017.

Movie was pretty good. I should really start watching the TV Series...

I don't think it has to do with SAO losing popularity, honestly, I think it has to do with the lack of overall promotion this movie had at all. I was only able to watch it in theaters because I saw the tickets being sold on Fandango, while I was booking tickets to see the new Spiderman movie coming out soon. There was no social media attention for this movie at all, which is honestly kind of weird. Because I remember going to see the first SAO movie, and the movie was being promoted like crazy by Aniplex, and the seats were packed!
Dec 4, 2021 2:44 PM

Jul 2017
Although this movie was pretty much Asuna's story for like 20 minutes and then a redo of the first 2 episodes, this movie actually made more sense than how SAO's anime approached the introduction. Time was actually given, Asuna as a protagonist was much, much better and more enjoyable to follow since she actually was suddenly thrown into a kind of a game she was not familiar with and was mentally a bit weak, and had to train and fight to get stronger and stronger to be able to get back home. It's much better than seeing Kirito just dick around and get stronger through timeslips while not really following his growth from the outside. Mito felt a bit expendable by the end, but served her purpose with the introduction as well as helping Asuna adjust to the world of SAO in the first place. Good action too, although some of the Kajiura tracks felt a bit disconnected with the fights for me.

Kirito's still OP but he served better as the awkward deuteragonist in the series rather than him as the main guy, and I liked how events were adjusted to him bonding with her even before the boss battle meeting, and more time was given to their interactions there than the actual anime itself with its clusterfuck structure and pacing of their relationship. I also liked how Asuna chose to follow Kirito instead and have their whole meeting together after the battle privately, making the moment feel a bit more intimate and sensical than when Kirito was trying to exit like a 'badass' and Asuna acting all goofy like at the battle area herself. Her recognizing that she can grow even stronger and depend on Kirito to be able to go home as soon as possible, makes more sense to her character and the series than how disconnected they both felt. I'll take this over Kirito being edgy at the end of episode 2 to only joining others at the start of episode 3 temporarily with the Sachi stuff.

So yeah, this was a solid film. Still retained flaws from the original series like with the potion stuff from Diabel, man really didn't think about the people he was leaving behind in real life, as well as Kirito still not coming across as a good character for me, although way better than he was in the anime. But it was a fine movie to see in theatres.

I am a massive Gintama fan and I hate the SAO main series and I actually enjoyed the SAO film more than the Gintama finale one, since this one felt way more easier to watch and better with its pacing and characterization, and retained the identity and feel of the series really well too compared to Gintama which felt like it really lacked what made Gintama to be an appealing classic in the first place.
Dec 4, 2021 4:57 PM

Jan 2020
I enjoyed this movie but I kind of felt that Asuna's character was a bit underwhelming considering how she's pretty clueless on certain points like with the party status. Guess this was Mito's fault for not telling her. Kirito's socially awkward moments gave quite a laugh and he acted like a typical edgy teenager for his age, not saying it was bad though considering he never really socialized with others most of the time so he probably wanted to mimic acting cool but played off as a bit embarrassing instead. Other than these small nitpicks, the movie contained some of the best parts of the franchise so it still was a good watch considering that the main cast this time weren't filler characters. 7/10
Dec 4, 2021 5:34 PM
Jan 2020
Gippy said:
What this movie showed me was that it should've been a complete reboot and not a retelling. The first half of the movie was significantly stronger and more mature than the second half, in which Kirito enters and more scenes from the first two episodes are included.

Mito and Asuna parting ways at the end was one of the most idiotic things I've seen in anime that didn't involve a campy villain. It had to happen, as she was inserted just for this movie. They just said goodbye, and it was completely awkward as Mito never apologized and honestly explained to Asuna why she left the party. Would I have loved to see a 3-member party of Kirito/Asuna/Mito, or even just writing Kirito out of the story and continue on with Asuna/Mito? Definitely.

This movie had a chance to reboot the Aincrad arc and tell a great story. Instead, it was shackled by the poorer writing of the original. Still, because it improved on the first two episodes so much, I'll give it a 6/10. I expect the next movies to go downhill from here as the story is milked, much like Made in Abyss.

Mito clearly did try to apologize, Asuna stopped her, and the interaction with Kirito and Asuna the night earlier where Kirito hinted at Mito’s true intention behind chasing the rare monster, and leaving her behind as a life/death situation served as Asuna’s insight into her mind, and realizing she had to leave, or die. I fully agree with you that the circumstances leading up to the MitoAsu reconciliation was forced as fuck for plot convenience though, because frankly (while somewhat realistic) Mito abandoning the party the party to not have to watch her best friend die, is a cop out for sheer melodrama. You can probably argue how she didn’t see Asuna’s name on her Friends List, but this part is actually in line with Asuna lmao, she didn’t add Kirito until they were in the early Floor 60’s, assuming they never added each other, it makes sense, but it is a reach.
Dec 4, 2021 6:54 PM

Feb 2020
Left the nearby theater an hour or so ago.

Firstly, WOW! So much sakuga which definitely stands out from the original 1st floor battle in the original SAO anime. I can tell there were also a lot of new frames that allows both old and new fans to enjoy the movie. Incredibly smooth on all feats, and a lot of lovely artwork put into the movie. Quality that is on par with the most recent SAO season, if not better.... goooood work A1! On the other hand, Kajiura has done, once again, brilliant work on this immersive soundtrack, with of course some remasters for the original songs. Lots of hype-filled stuff going on here!

One thing I noticed here, is how 'Kirito monologue boringness' and most 'showing-off' are mostly gone, thanks to the new perspective. Also liked a more deeper look into relationships that were changed after entering the game. I remember much of the original arc was centered on Kayaba/Kirito with the rest of details going towards Kirito/Asuna relationship... there wasn't a lot of time to flesh out the floors, characters and such. Im hoping that Progressive brings out more of those long-awaited details.

With addition of Mito, it brings a fresh start that made even me, an old fan, thrilled. Surprised to hear Minase voice Mito, haha! forgot to check the VA list earlier

Argo in the end... hope to see more of her next movie!

LiSA ending theme feels a lot like her original song that she did for Aincrad way back then.

Pretty good overall. Thrilling, and i wish to see more. Praying it's not going to become a movie series
Dec 4, 2021 7:51 PM
Apr 2021
The moment when I walked out of the theater I felt underwhelmed. But the more I think about it afterwards the more I like it. Still had complaints for sure. But I enjoyed it.

That awkward sword moment for Kirito is gem. Makes him a more realistic and relatable teenager rather than some generic op protagonist. Wonder what’s going on in his mind when he realizes he’s embarrassing himself. After all, he is just a teenage gamer going through puberty. We all had that moment when we tryna impressed someone but realized that we’re fucking ourseleves. An adorable little scene that adds much depth to his character. The boss fight scene where the 3 of them cooperated also makes him more credible.

Mito/Mesumi. Um. Idk. Idk what to say about her character. I need to see more of her in the series to make a fair judgment (anime-only(?) here. I’ve read just the Alicization novels). She’s definitely gonna die. Idk when. I’ve been expecting it in the movie but unfortunately, or fortunately, she didn’t. I felt like if she died here it would be a lame ass death. She’s been heavily advertised in the fucking trailer and killing her off after 2 seconds is just…wasteful…of all the potential she has as a character. We haven’t even seen much of her yet. Oh and that little ptsd she got when Asuna told her to leave her alone. Loved it.

As someone has mentioned, Mito really adds a lot to the story as it explains why Asuna became “lonely, solo player” as she is in the series. I never really “liked” Asuna in the show bc I felt like she’s very plain. But the little scenes of her family and Mito really made her more interesting to me. Family with high expectations. Desire to escape from the real world. All that type of stuff. Seeming betrayal of afriend. Loved it.

Shall we talk about the animation and the visuals? Fucking sweet. Fucking. Sweet. It’s one of those instances where A-1 impressed us with their potential of making god-tier anime. They don’t…do that quite often. That scene where Asuna rips her cape, Jedi robe, whatever off- FUCKING. COOL. AS HELL. Please A-1 keep this shit up you can do this!!!

Rating: 8/10. I was thinking of a 6.5/10 when I was walking out of the theater. But naw this movie is lit. Lookin forward to the next one.

Oh and Diabel didn’t drink the fucking potion. FUCK.
Dec 5, 2021 12:41 PM

Apr 2008
Just watched in theatres and it was incredible. I absolutely loved that it was from Asunas perspective.

Sequel is also confirmed in the post credit scene. hype!
Dec 6, 2021 8:01 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
It was a decent movie even though the production quality was lacking a lot. Like seriously, 20 bucks, for a ticket is not that worth for this quality. In 20 bucks I watched Mugen Train last year and my dick was on fire the whole time.

That said, I liked the movie. Was not expecting that but then the movie reminded me how good the Aincrad portion of the original anime actually was.

Also, fuck Gatts, Kirito is the better black swordsman. The guy is a trash fucking LN protag but damn does he make my dick tingle whenever he makes an entry.

Keep more of this coming.

6/10

animejas said:

I am a massive Gintama fan and I hate the SAO main series and I actually enjoyed the SAO film more than the Gintama finale one, since this one felt way more easier to watch and better with its pacing and characterization, and retained the identity and feel of the series really well too compared to Gintama which felt like it really lacked what made Gintama to be an appealing classic in the first place.
Gintama's movie was your same old Gintama, to the bones, true to its characters and had a decent pacing. The only thing it was lacking was a better comedy writing.
cchiguDec 7, 2021 4:09 PM
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 6, 2021 10:04 PM

Jul 2021
belial said:
The biggest plus is the sound effects (oddly)
They stretched the movie so it could end at the end of the first boss. A lot of parts were repeated from S1 without adding barely anything new to it.

I expected to see more character development from Asuna. The 2 new struggles to be ended with a "kirito randomly showed up" instead of development of Asuna and other characters were also a disappointment

It was noticeable that some parts didn't fit with what we saw in S1. Imo this is bad writing.

TL;DR: A nice watch, but nothing special. 6/10

i think you misunderstood this movie completely, your score seems to be based off what season 1 did, except the point of progressive is to retell season 1 with a more expansion, its not meant to be completely fresh. and its not meant to connect to season 1, its a standalone thing on its own, that if you wanted to when this series is done you can skip the first 12 episodes of season 1 and watch this instead
Dec 6, 2021 10:07 PM

Jul 2021
l--_--l said:
Sora_1303 said:

The 2nd movie will skip to floor 5 unfortunately. Which mmeans they will skip about 4 LN volumes of story.
Why does everything I like and I am hyped for always turn out this way?
Why, just why do they decide to skip stuff, doesnt that make it the same as SAO S1 then?

they will be returning to floors 2,3,4 im not sure if you found out about this yet since im late to my reply obviously, but the author stated they are skipping these floors until the elf war story finishes, then going back my guess is to do a 2 cour season to fill in the gaps between the movies
Dec 7, 2021 4:17 PM

Jul 2017
cchigu said:
Gintama's movie was your same old Gintama, to the bones, true to its characters and had a decent pacing. The only thing it was lacking was a better comedy writing.

I don't know, it just immediately jumped into tons of action and various fights after 2 rushed Semi-final episodes and it didn't look great barring a few minutes of one fight, and the comedy was weak too after the opening segment till near the end, but even with the ending part, it's not Gintama's best. It felt like an incredibly dense film with so much going on but it didn't feel like an authentic conclusion that Gintama deserved imo. It felt a bit derivative with some of the stuff it did in Silver Soul and sort of lacked charm for me. Too many characters barely got any real shining moments either barring one max, and Gintama's cast is one of the best features about the whole series and what makes it special too. It was anything but the same old Gintama for me, or at least the same old Gintama I was in love with.

In comparison to SAO's film, SAO felt more focused for me than Gintama, had a proper beginning-middle-climax with the boss battle remake, allowed time for some characters to shine (particularly Asuna who I was underwhelmed with in the original and found her way better here) with the right kind of pace even with some flaws there, and visually looked more ready for the cinemas compared to Gintama which just felt like a mediocre longer episode where BNP just aren't good enough as an anime studio for the cinemas just yet. Overall, I found the Progressive film to just be more palatable and easier and fun to watch, Gintama didn't provide enough moments to enjoy its conclusion film.

And yeah, it's weird still for me given how much I love Gintama as a franchise and hated SAO's first arc during my rewatch so much that I gave up on continuing it after the first arc yesterday - still like the Progressive movie a bit even now and hope the future films maintains this level.
Dec 7, 2021 6:13 PM

Apr 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and I genuinely appreciate that in the end this seems to be changing the direction of the story a bit as Mito was given a part to play in the final part of the fight against Ilfang and Asuna follows Kirito to the second floor instead of splitting off from him.

It's encouraging to think Progressive will be a bit of an AU to the original story rather than only filling in the gaps between what we already know. I went into this assuming Mito would end up dying to protect Asuna but what actually happened was honestly even more tragic. Narratively speaking, it did a lot to engage me in Progressive as its own work rather than as an add-on to SAO.

I watched in a theater with only two others at the showing, and after Mito ran, I heard one of them say "Okay, I hope she dies now." but couldn't agree, so after the movie I turned back and jokingly said "Screw whichever one of you said you hoped Mito would die." And we had a good laugh over it.
Dec 8, 2021 12:06 PM

Apr 2016
Saw this last night at my local theater dubbed.

Much better than I expected! I did not have high hopes for a faithful Progressive adaptation after seeing early trailers featuring Mito, but I was pleasantly surprised with what they adapted. Mito ended up being a good addition and a cool supporting justification for some of Asuna's background (her hairstyle and one of the reasons for her starting SAO).

Mito hasn't grown on me quite yet, but she was decent in the beginning. I still don't like how she abandoned Asuna to die but I suppose the Asuna/Kirito two-person dynamic fits Progressive much better than having Mito tag along most of the time.

In terms of the already canon stuff, I really enjoyed that they kept Asuna's love of baths and the references to the farmhouse as well as her meeting with Kirito in the dungeon. There was even a minor reference to the hilarious clothing-inventory scene with Asuna (albeit it was with Mito early on). They also kept some iconic lines from both the original SAO and Progressive. I'm a little disappointed Argo didn't make an appearance until the end but hopefully, the sequel film shows Argo and Kizmel in all their glory.

Good Job A-1! I have high hopes for once. I can easily recommend this movie to SAO fans and people who may want to start SAO or give it another chance. 8.5 ~ 9/10

Dec 8, 2021 2:32 PM
Dec 2007
Got tocatch this today in Imax with only me myself and I in the theater. I wouldn't call myself an SAO fan, I read the first two novels and only gave SAO I a 7 and SAO II a , no more connection to the franchise beyond that. That said; I really enjoyed this movie. Asuna makes for a very compelling protagonist and while I know there was some controversy over Mito, I really liked her character as well.
GGcc78Dec 8, 2021 2:36 PM
Dec 9, 2021 12:47 AM

Jun 2016
vampirenazuna said:
l--_--l said:
Why, just why do they decide to skip stuff, doesnt that make it the same as SAO S1 then?

they will be returning to floors 2,3,4 im not sure if you found out about this yet since im late to my reply obviously, but the author stated they are skipping these floors until the elf war story finishes, then going back my guess is to do a 2 cour season to fill in the gaps between the movies

Reki only tweeted about F3-4 afaik. F2 and Rondo have nothing to do with the elf war quest. If anything it's the first time the events of F5 and Scherzo are hinted at.

Imo, probably going to f5 to continue Asuna & Mito's story, since Kirito and Asuna are almost always together throughout f2 and ofc Mito never actually existed in the LN's. (At least I hope. If they're skipping F2 for any other reason... would be incredibly stupid.)
Dec 9, 2021 12:50 AM

Jul 2021
Inorichi said:
vampirenazuna said:

Reki only tweeted about F3-4 afaik. F2 and Rondo have nothing to do with the elf war quest. If anything it's the first time the events of F5 and Scherzo are hinted at.

Imo, probably going to f5 to continue Asuna & Mito's story, since Kirito and Asuna are almost always together throughout f2 and ofc Mito never actually existed in the LN's

yeah i know shes anime original, ***spoiler for the film***
its why i thought she was going to die the entire movie. my guess is there will be alot of anime original content. im also just assuming that floor 2 will be part of an adaptation if they ever get to it for length since they like to do 24 eps minimum per season, especially with alicization being like 46?
Dec 9, 2021 1:04 AM

Jun 2016
vampirenazuna said:
Inorichi said:

Imo, probably going to f5 to continue Asuna & Mito's story, since Kirito and Asuna are almost always together throughout f2 and ofc Mito never actually existed in the LN's

yeah i know shes anime original, ***spoiler for the film***
its why i thought she was going to die the entire movie. my guess is there will be alot of anime original content. im also just assuming that floor 2 will be part of an adaptation if they ever get to it for length since they like to do 24 eps minimum per season, especially with alicization being like 46?

Yeah same lol. Honestly, I was expecting her death the whole time during the boss fight watching her bar shrink. Probably where I give A-1 and the new director (forget her name) the most props. Assuming they were aware of all the ln readers expectations. If Mito died in this movie, would have been a very weak tearjerker.

Tbh Idr most of F5 been a while since I read progressive, but they'll probably rewrite a lot of content to include Mito.

As for f2, even though Rondo is long, I'd say it's a stretch for it to fill 24 eps. Maybe 6 eps at most? Tbh I'd prefer a movie though. A-1 clearly couldn't handle Alicization with how awful the sakuga, in fact most of the adaptation became... The SAO movies have just been significantly better in terms of production.

Dec 9, 2021 1:19 PM
Jul 2011
That was disappointing.
Dec 9, 2021 2:24 PM
Apr 2020
Great to see Asuna's backstory and new girl Mito was nice, intriguing she didn't die since I was expecting that so wonder how she'll be integrated in the rest of the story...well it'll probably be many years before this ends but it will be a fun journey to follow to the end.
Animation was great in the boss fight which is nice and the soundtrack hits just like it did back in the day of the original anime. Can't wait for more and glad that a 2nd film is already announced.
Dec 9, 2021 10:57 PM

May 2016
Did the author make SAO politically correct like he said he did? Or was this written beforehand?
Dec 10, 2021 7:13 PM

May 2010
I busted out laughing when Kirito couldn't get the sword back in the scabbard.

Didn't care because I was literally the only person in the theater this evening.
Dec 10, 2021 9:02 PM
Jan 2020
l--_--l said:
Sora_1303 said:

The 2nd movie will skip to floor 5 unfortunately. Which mmeans they will skip about 4 LN volumes of story.

Kinda but not really, think of SAO S1 as Floor 1, 74, and 75 (LN 1) with some side stories added in to extend it for 14 episodes, even Yui being introduced as a side story.

Progressive is a Floor by Floor retelling, and so far the current Progressive plan is to have a movie a year (no idea why they didn’t do Floor 2 before 5 though) and the reasoning for skipping Floors 3 and 4 for now was so the author (Reki) can finish the overarching plot of the “Elf War Quest” first as it spans multiple floors and Floor 5 is pretty much the only “standalone” floor per se. This is excluding Floor 2 though, I’m not sure what line of thinking went behind the decision of not doing 2 before 5 under the same rationale given.

It may end up like Kara no Kyoukai (although in this case, it was actually written in the scuffed order), or FGO Babylonia backfilling and front filling.
Dec 10, 2021 11:00 PM
Mar 2012
Theatre surprisingly full even with distancing rules.
A pretty nice revision/remake of Aincrad. Near a decade so about accepted the retcon/inconsistencies sao's famous for.
Good pacing, tho school part bit long & not sure about 1 floor 1 film, feels intentionally they avoid rushing. Asuna pov is a great choice, gives context to her family, the harsh mother returns, and better characterization than tv.
Mito 'revision' seems almost critical, a friend who trained Asuna from the noob nongamer into a top player pre Flash, a beta tester with flaws, realistic cowardice, and her attempt to reconcile at the boss fight.
Also serves as major contrast that buoys up Kirito: Mito over promised to protect her forever, then rare item greed took hold, disbanded the party, wasn't strong enough and reality hit. Kirito only promised one day, emphasized party's temp, & has the skills to keep promises. Of course there's cream & bathtub, but there's more character depth in film version to why our Kirito Asuna pair stayed together, other than omg op swordsman.
Loved the comedy, need more awkward one-eyed Kirito, great animation, and the same awesome sound design since OrdinalScale.
Nice 2022 for next film.
Dec 11, 2021 4:37 AM

Feb 2014
Saw it on theatres today. I enjoyed the movie a lot. The movie was all about Asuna and her perspective of the level 1 of Aincrad. It also has a good back story of her character and we saw her life prior to starting playing the game. Her character development here is more clearer and logical as well. Makes me wonder that maybe Asuna is really more suited as the main character of SAO instead of just being part of Kirito's growing harem. LOL!
Dec 12, 2021 10:26 PM
Feb 2021
Just came from watching Movie. They really followed LN very closely with Mito being additional characters and honestly did the Justice to the adaptation. I really enjoyed Mito and Asuna friendship. Although it was disheartening to see Mito abandoning Asuna but it was kinda understandable given the circumstances they were in. Than come the aloof Kirito rescuing Asuna. It was hilarious to see him being uncomfortable around Asuna and another funnier part was where he was unable to put the sword in despite multiple attempts. Afterwards everything was like the repeat of 1st two episodes but from Asuna pov with some changes. I really like how Asuna pulled Kirito collar when he mentioned about bath. 1st floor boss was very intimidating in compare to Anime and Mito contributed hugely in defeating it. But Asuna and Mito makeup so quickly, may be Asuna is too understanding and Kind. Hats off to A-1 for being genuine to the adaptation.

Can't wait for the sequel, I wonder how they gonna handle Mito and is it yet gonna be from Asuna Perspective. I would really welcome that because I really enjoyed this from different angle. Also Asuna was so cute in the movie.
Abysmal_Saint76Dec 12, 2021 11:48 PM
Dec 13, 2021 4:49 AM

May 2019
I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed watching an awkward Kirito.
Dec 18, 2021 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
Guys, regardless of your opinion about the movie, you should know that this movie is loosely based on the novel and I mean, very loosely. There's no Mito in the novel and Asuna's backstory and personality are significantly different from the novel.

So if you dislike the movie because of the plot or Asuna's personality, remember that things are vastly different in the novels.

You can say this movie is a spin-off.
Dec 22, 2021 1:17 AM

Nov 2013
animejas said:
cchigu said:

I don't know, it just immediately jumped into tons of action and various fights after 2 rushed Semi-final episodes and it didn't look great barring a few minutes of one fight, and the comedy was weak too after the opening segment till near the end, but even with the ending part, it's not Gintama's best. It felt like an incredibly dense film with so much going on but it didn't feel like an authentic conclusion that Gintama deserved imo. It felt a bit derivative with some of the stuff it did in Silver Soul and sort of lacked charm for me. Too many characters barely got any real shining moments either barring one max, and Gintama's cast is one of the best features about the whole series and what makes it special too. It was anything but the same old Gintama for me, or at least the same old Gintama I was in love with.

In comparison to SAO's film, SAO felt more focused for me than Gintama, had a proper beginning-middle-climax with the boss battle remake, allowed time for some characters to shine (particularly Asuna who I was underwhelmed with in the original and found her way better here) with the right kind of pace even with some flaws there, and visually looked more ready for the cinemas compared to Gintama which just felt like a mediocre longer episode where BNP just aren't good enough as an anime studio for the cinemas just yet. Overall, I found the Progressive film to just be more palatable and easier and fun to watch, Gintama didn't provide enough moments to enjoy its conclusion film.

And yeah, it's weird still for me given how much I love Gintama as a franchise and hated SAO's first arc during my rewatch so much that I gave up on continuing it after the first arc yesterday - still like the Progressive movie a bit even now and hope the future films maintains this level.

This is basically just you liking the same old same old that SAO provides, and not liking Gintama doing a very long serious arc, which is the conclusion of the last god damned arc of the story revolving around the whole backstory of Gintoki about his war ridden past. Why would it be comedic?
Dec 22, 2021 5:04 AM

Jul 2017
DGemu said:
animejas said:

This is basically just you liking the same old same old that SAO provides, and not liking Gintama doing a very long serious arc, which is the conclusion of the last god damned arc of the story revolving around the whole backstory of Gintoki about his war ridden past. Why would it be comedic?

I like the idea of Gintama and long serious arcs, the SA arc and the FS arc is amazing and some of my favorite arcs of all time and Rakuyo is damn good too, just not that well paced and animated necessarily. But the movie didn't feel necessary to me, and there wasn't even really proper buildup to it, it was just action the entire time there until the final portion and it wasn't great quality action either for most of it barring one fight. Antagonists in that movie weren't that interesting either. And it doesn't need to be comedic necessarily but Gintama in the past even with serious arcs felt more special to watch and fitting to its identity than this particular film not gonna lie. It just didn't do anything for me, and was weaker than everything I've seen prior except Porori-hen. Gintama should have ended somehow at Silver Soul's anime adaptation, no need for the semi-final and this movie.

And I have SAO's first 2 seasons at a 1/10. So a 6 for the movie is definitely a good upgrade. It actually worked more as a film, had some effort to characterize Asuna well and have buildup and training to adjust to the environment, explored the world a bit more and not just have Asuna be OP from the get-go, etc. For a film, it wasn't amazing by any means but it actually didn't exhaust me with millions of mediocre fights with thousands of characters right from the start without building somewhat into it. So yeah, that's just how I feel.
Jan 7, 2022 12:34 AM
Jul 2013
I can't feel the budget in this movies, i meant the animation looks like the first season of OG SAO, this movies feels like a recap of the first and second episode of og sao with an extra scene. But it's enjoyable though for the nostalgia
Jan 8, 2022 11:09 PM

Sep 2016
i've never watched any sao before this one, but since it is in the theatres where i am i decided to give it a shot. overall i really liked it! visuals, story and the music were all really good, but it just felt a little short. am excited for the future installations
Jan 9, 2022 11:49 AM

Aug 2020
Quite decent. Totally enjoyable, great animation, and totally watchable for someone who hasn't got into sao. Only problem is how generic it is. The feeling that I have seen the same thing hundred times already, whether from other anime or the original anime series itself. At least that's the case for me.

"It's a terrible day for rain."
Jan 15, 2022 7:43 AM

Aug 2017
This movie was actually surprisingly good. I thought they might've butchered the adaptation considering Mito was never in the original SAO:P and I assumed she would be replacing a character that appears in a later volume as another one of Kirito's rejected girls club but she was actually well-executed and fleshed out.

They removed some bits from the light novel but overall I didn't really have any problems and everything from story,characters,music to animation was pretty well done.
Mar 14, 2022 8:30 PM

Jul 2021
Loved the movie. The movie was mostly centered around Asuna and she had some further character development in this movie and I was impressed with the visuals here, not gonna lie though, SAO visuals just gets even better over the course of the journey it has been. 9/10.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Can you watch this without watching the original anime?

Strat2005 - Jan 13

11 by Sara_Karma »»
Jan 14, 10:39 PM

» How dare they???

Haroldinho07 - Jun 23, 2023

25 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Jul 27, 2023 12:27 AM

» Comparison Scene

ClubAnimeYT - Jul 13, 2022

5 by hacker09 »»
Jun 20, 2023 12:07 AM

» To anyone who don't know what SAO-P is and to those who didn't like the show and wanted a well written version of the show. I'll try to clear any doubts about the show. ( 1 2 )

Anayan_Kashyap - Sep 20, 2021

56 by hacker09 »»
Jun 19, 2023 11:55 PM

» Dub??

removed-user - Jul 14, 2022

9 by removed-user »»
Jun 14, 2023 10:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.